Stupid shit tied to framerate

Post stupid shit tied to the FPS in vidya.
For example durability in Dark Souls 2 (high fps made durability decrease faster), the recoil in Red Orchestra 1 (sub 15fps removes all recoil - still unpatched) or how high fps in Valkyria Chronicles made it impossible for tanks to traverse over slopes and made reaction fire much more deadly.

Other urls found in this thread:

archive.fo/7eKIm
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Physics in fo4?

Wasn't the load screens tied to the framerate as well?

No idea, didn't even pirate that shit.
But I heard loading screens in ass erects were "timed", like in 2 even if the game loaded it still had to load the animation

it was all over the fucking place

Game Maker games, literally everything is tied to framerate.

In dark souls 1, if you hack the game to play with more than 30 FPS, there's a chance you can fall through the ground when sliding down ladders.

Also interesting FPS related thing:
In Mario 64 the game checks for button presses every frame, but if you press a button, let's say, the "A" button every frame for 10 frames, it counts the A button as being held for all 10 frames. However it is possible to press "A" and "start" at the same time, then unpause and press "A" then "pause" and repeat for effectively 10 "A" presses in 10 in-game frames.

Higher fps = faster driving in multiplayer GTA IV.
Swimming physics are fucked if you turn off the frame-limiter in San Andreas (i.e. go above 30fps). I think it also messes with driving physics and I know you can kill yourself with the knife if it's off too.
Not strictly speaking tied to FPS but Saints Row 2 has the stupid shit about the further your CPU speed is from that of the 360 making the game run faster and fucking with driving physics.

Disgusting, filthy, obscene

Loading screens had to load in the loading screen before it actually started loading the game.

That kinda reminds me of Sonic '06.
Some guy took a look into the game's inner workings, and found out that the game loads the entire overworld every time, for every cutscene, even the 2-textbox ones.

Speaking of Sonic 06, this thread reminded me about how the slow down power up that Sonic could get would slow down the loading screens if you held the button for it down.

Didn't Sega patch VC?

In Super Mario Bros, the game only checks to see if Mario has completed the level every 21 frames or so.

So does that mean higher framerate the quicker it is to finish a level?

Not necessarily.

Well, on console, it's always locked to 60, so no. But basically, it means that speedrunners have to progress in cycles of 21 frames, as anything less than that gets eaten up. The game will just wait for a cycle check when you touch the flagpole.

I think they chalked it up to "shit that can't be fixed without overhauling the game", so no.

What if you only half-A press then hit start and then hit the other half-A after hitting start again?
:^)

Titanfall 2 used to have a shield ability tied to framerate, a lower framerate would drain it's bar much slower. Someone wrote a script to kill their performance on purpose whenever they used the ability, which meant you could use the shield pretty much infinitely. The week that exploit became widely known was the fucking worst, because every plebbit shitter abused it.
It got patched months ago though, thankfully.

you can't do a half "A" press
but a level or action can only require half of one

There's a bunch of games that have "wait x frames" before it goes to the next screen, meaning the loading screen is tied to framerate. Toolassisted recently changed Street Shitter V loadtimes on pc by changing the framerate for loading screens.

archive.fo/7eKIm

smh tbh fam

Item durability loss rate in Dark Souls 2 is tied to framerate. So in the PC version which was at 60 fps, all armor and weapons would break twice as fast as in the 30 fps console version of the game. And gear already breaks way faster in DS2 than in DS1 or 3.

Can't leave games using idTech 3 unmentioned, like the two RTCW games and of course Quake III.

Setting your framerate to certain magic numbers (43, 76, 125, 333) will make you move and shoot faster, jump higher. Some options do weird things like completely removing some or all of your footstep sounds or affect recoil.
Useful for getting those wacky jumps, particularly in RTCW: ET. Beelining it toward the end objective in fueldump, jumping over the wall and planting dynamite while folks are still trying to get the bridge up was pretty great. Unless the other side immediately reacted, knew exactly what to do and got lucky with the spawn timer, it was already over.

Years later I learn about those mysterious players in WolfET, thanks user.

Yes. GTA4 does this as well. I have my framerate capped at 120 at the driver level due to so many games featuring uncapped framerates on menus where shit reaches 3000+FPS and reaches 100% GPU utilization causing coil whine in my poor old 670. The loading times for both with my SSD can be 20+ seconds long. If I uncap the framerate, they're about 2 seconds.

in the game i'm making everything is tied to framerate
but it's turn-based so i don't give a fuck

Is there any real reason for this? What's stopping it from just checking when he touches the flagpole?

The difference between a non-magic FPS and 333 is pretty dramatic. Something around 10%, which compounds rapidly when bunnyhopping. It also made hit detection against those players inconsistent and could induce lag in other players on the server. Some otherwise difficult trickjumps were rendered trivial, others barely possible at all.
I remember a lot of servers enforcing the limit at 125, just because of the imbalance and problems it brought about, particularly at a time when it wasn't feasible to get that kind of performance without expensive hardware.

I thought this was pretty common knowledge, but I guess it's easy to miss or just assume that it's lag or hacking, both prevalent during those days.
But now you know.

The theory is that checking every frame would be too much a waste of the NES' processor.
Only a theory, though, no one really knows.
Probably intended to be every 1/3 of a second, but added an extra frame by forgetting that 0 is a number.

I feel like I've lost an old friend. Henry must have gotten to him.

I mean I don't get why it needs to check constantly at all. I don't see why just touching the flag can't activate the "end level" function by itself.

The game can't know that mario is touching the flag without comparing his position to the flags position.

Ok, that makes sense, I wasn't sure what part of "finishing the level" was actually being checked.

Original DSII had equipment degradation tied to frame rate.

Didn't Diablo II have chance to hit tied to frame rate and if it went really high you could never hit anything

Are you retarded, mate? Both the NES and SNES ran at 60fps. Unless you're Europoor, which point it's 50.
It was only the PS/N64 Era when shit framerates were acceptable.