Xonotic

Fast and free, gratis and libre arena shooter.
xonotic.org/

Holla Forums Absolute Wrath Server (Latvia, 0.8.1) Status
dpmaster.deathmask.net/?game=xonotic&server=94.30.161.138:61998

Holla Forums Pacific [Xon/XPM/XDF | Voteable | 0.8.2] Status
dpmaster.deathmask.net/?game=xonotic&server=98.176.82.106:26000

Duel Ladder
Monthly event.
Duel other participants on maps within a map pool.
All skill levels welcome. This aims to help others find duel partners and improve.
April Duel Event Map Pool: Bloodprison, Bloodrun, Campgrounds, Darkzone, Fuse, Toxicity, Warfare

Newbie Guide:
gitlab.com/xonotic/xonotic/wikis/Halogenes_Newbie_Corner

If you're the first one on the server, announce in the thread so thread lurkers know when to join.

Mid-week there may be polls for playing times so we can all get together at the same times for larger scale matches. They will be marked with "Schedule Poll" in the subject.

Previous thread:
archive.fo/V3v7J

OP Template:
p.teknik.io/oByE5

Other urls found in this thread:

discord.gg/yZWGN2K
webchat.quakenet.org/?channels=xonotic.na
archive.fo/Qj3IH
archive.fo/vfsZo
poal.me/939ppq
xonotic.wikia.com/wiki/Warfare
xonotic.wikia.com/wiki/Fuse
gitlab.com/xonotic-zykure/multibot
ingar.satgnu.net/gtkradiant/,
dl.xonotic.org/xonotic-0.8.2-mappingsupport.zip
gitlab.com/xonotic/netradiant.git
dl.xonotic.co/cts_apple-whenweslide.pk3
poal.me/vzoned
poal.me/wqg3yz
p.teknik.io/Z2a4y
stats.xonotic.org/server/10833
quakenet.org/help/q/how-to-register-an-account-with-q
forums.xonotic.org/showthread.php?tid=7441
dropbox.com/s/y27vcx9sgwnbmeh/tuhma_b1.pk3?dl=0
dropbox.com/s/9ka2w1d1xl80gbv/phrantic_b3.pk3?dl=0
forums.xonotic.org/showthread.php?tid=7389
dropbox.com/s/6sls698rkmgs2wk/phrantic_b4.pk3?dl=0
xonotic.org/posts/2013/about-xonotic-and-steam/
dpmaster.deathmask.net/?game=xonotic
poal.me/twlgab
stats.xonotic.org/players
lainchan.org/inter/res/98.html
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

There are two chatrooms available. Please keep the thread as the main method of communication as one or the other may be disagreeable to other posters.

Discord
discord.gg/yZWGN2K

IRC
webchat.quakenet.org/?channels=xonotic.na

Holla Forums Pacific is connected to the IRC channel which announces match status and allows players in-game to chat with IRC, vice versa. Additionally in #xonotic.na a pickup bot has been deployed to help start up a pickup scene for North America. Seeking volunteers to (self-)host pickup game servers. High bandwidth and 24/7 availability not required.

April Game Night
Reflection Thread: Xonotic, if you had any cool moments, share them.
>>>/radcorp/306

Archive: Weekend Game Night - Xonotic (Saturday)
archive.fo/Qj3IH

Archive: Weekend Game Night - Xonotic (Thurs/Fri)
archive.fo/vfsZo

I'm not sure why every defrag server comes across as extremely modified compared to the developer's server. I thought the reason why the server browser reported 100+ settings modified was because of balance-xdf.cfg vs balance-wep-xdf.cfg. But it hasn't made a difference.

So between everything that happened this month I entirely forgot to nag people about map nominations and voting. Rather than stress out over cramming it all into the remainder of the month, I say we just carry the maps over. If anyone has an alternative they'd like to see, let me know and we can hash it out.

Also while I'm at it, feel free to drop nominations for June anytime. Also for anyone who wants to get in on dueling, whether they're new and learning or more experienced and looking to prove themselves, let me know and I'll add you to the list. Additionally, if anyone wants to be removed from the list, let me know by May 1st

I would like to suggest using the map pool of the Xonotic World Cup Series Major #2 for either May or June since the cup is in the middle of July.

Fair thing would be to settle it with a (((vote))) :^)
poal.me/939ppq

Is it a quake clone or a ut clone

It's a Nexuiz fork.

Whatever the status of the duel ladder is, I'm quite sure I was somewhere near the bottom. Tempest challenges DelusionaryKiller and THE WORST.

Discordfags

Remove discord from future OP's. Not only is it a shitty chat client for data mining, you can barely call it a Xonotic chatroom at this point.

You were planning on fighting them before I believe, before we blasted through to 4 threads in one month

And almost nobody is posting about it in the thread either. In fact, we had xon discussions previously, but Ant pointed out we should bring that shit here instead, which seemed like a much more reasonable way to handle things. The thread needs more posts than the discord needs discussions, so the discord discussions become fluff. There's also not much more to talk about xon-wise, unless it's event-driven (nobody plays experimental and out of the 10-ish active users, most know most of the info there is to know about xon), which is why I've tried to get more events going
Which brings me to
Honestly, I'd rather these things just be autonomous rather than try to remember to keep them going. I'm fucking terrible at that, and the only real reason why I'm running the duel ladder is because nobody else did. The only reason why I'm trying to get Newbie Nights and TDM Saturdays going is because nobody else was doing it, and the former actually helped our numbers quite a lot previously. However, when I try to actually play Xonotic at this point, I just make people leave, so I'm now organizing events for a game I cant play unless I want people to start ragequitting, or unless I want to explicitly find whatever timeslots I can with Splat/Sawa/Komier/Koala, the latter being the only player I have any hope of beating
Only happened/happens in two scenarios, one was 3 people playing WoW for a month or so, and the other is the resident CTS owl looking to play other AFPS with the guy he regularly duels. There's sometimes discussion about Linux-based shit, or game design
Also, re: discord as a whole
This is, again, a result of people not getting shit started. I'm looking to replace about 50% of discord functionality with a self-hosted mumble server, but we'll see how well that goes. I mostly just use discord to ping people for duels and bitch at people for not (((voting))) or nominating for maplists
And shit not getting started is a running theme. The wiki has actual game info because a couple people from the discord group updated it (speaking of which, why is that not linked in the OP?), the server, almost all of the major xon images and activity polling (which has gone criminally underutilized while people bitch about the problems it would fix) exist because of Antares. If you don't like how something is done, replace it with something better. Nobody is going to stop you
Wouldn't happen if people would post questions, times they were hopping in, or any requests. I prompt people for this shit and get almost nothing back. You faggots need to post more, rather than rely on the same 4-6 people to come up with shit to talk about to keep a /tg/-speed general from 404-ing

It's an abandoned wiki that some threw content towards, but having the ownership transfer requires some veterancy along with some other hoops.

Also its lacking in map information and tactics (in-control, out-of control). A video of map tricks per map is a good addition, but isn't comprehensive.

xonotic.wikia.com/wiki/Warfare
has a healthy amount of content.

xonotic.wikia.com/wiki/Fuse
doesn't.

That's fair.
To be honest though with regards to in/out of control I dont think it's all that feasible to have a substantial guide, simply because it's going to depend highly on who you're fighting and what you/they have available. Some basic tips can work, but beyond that and Komier's trick vids I don't really see how a wiki can really take the place of more direct practice and/or coaching

This tbqh

Obviously it's not going to be as clear cut as that. But I assume for each map, there's going to be rooms or quirks worthy of some commentary.

Also webm to get across the quirks on a map.
(Ideally though, the wikia isn't a video dump and actually has text that a search engine can feasibly pick up on)

Reminder that Newbie Night is tonight. Tomorrow will be TDM. I'll be on for a couple hours starting at 6 today and 5 tomorrow. If you want pointers, let me know and I'll spec you while you play. For tomorrow, if you want to find teammates for some TDM that would be great.
What I'd like to do is start getting some persistent 2s and/or 3s teams going. If we can pull that off we can start running small tournaments or maybe another ladder

Want me to make update that image at this point?

On the server now

I might as well do it, now that I can image edit a little better. Plus I'll need to make a similar one for TDM

Also if we get any of the other server admins wanting to cash in on Newbie Night hype (if such a thing ever exists) we should get those servers on the poster as well

players on the server

Let's all just start shitposting.

Hopping in now for TDM day. Please join up if you wanna get involved in some pickup team games. Also while I'm posting about this shit, would you guys like to lock down team sizes and maybe expand out to utilizing other servers? Or should we just stick with the pugball vs pugball setup we have now? I'm pretty sure the HUB servers have a vote option for tdm

We had a pickup bot in #xonotic.na to facilitate creating a pickup scene, but it got disconnected and sawa hasn't bothered to bring it back up.

That's a shame. What's it take to get a bot running? Is it easier than pestering Sawa?

Probably.
gitlab.com/xonotic-zykure/multibot

No!

I guess I'll bump with a question
>build shitty room, supposed to be spawn point, I'm pretty sure I fucked up the size
Pic related, wat do?

I'm gonna assume the map editor isn't pointed to the directory of game data (where the textures would be provided).

Did you install NetRadiant directly or from xonotic.org?

I used ingar.satgnu.net/gtkradiant/, so yeah. Will try using the xonotic ver.

You need to download dl.xonotic.org/xonotic-0.8.2-mappingsupport.zip then unzip it and move xonotic-20170401-maps-mapping.pk3 to the Xonotic gamedir (directory above your dlcache). I don't think this is the "proper" way to do it, but it works for me.

sudo apt-get install libglib2.0-devlibglib2.0-dev is already the newest version....make...Checking for glib/gutils.h (libglib2.0-dev)... not found, please install it or set PKG_CONFIG_PATH right!...Makefile:259: recipe for target 'dependencies-check' failed
All the other dependencies are "found and links." Can't seem to find where I could point PKG_CONFIG_PATH either:
[email protected]/* */:/$ sudo find -iname *ibglib2.0-de*./var/cache/apt/archives/libglib2.0-dev_2.42.1-1+b1_amd64.deb./var/lib/dpkg/info/libglib2.0-dev.preinst./var/lib/dpkg/info/libglib2.0-dev.prerm./var/lib/dpkg/info/libglib2.0-dev.md5sums./var/lib/dpkg/info/libglib2.0-dev.list./var/lib/dpkg/info/libglib2.0-dev.postinst./usr/share/python/runtime.d/libglib2.0-dev.rtupdate./usr/share/doc/libglib2.0-dev
Wat do?

Does /usr/include/glib-2.0/glib/gutils.h exist?

Yep. Trying "sudo make PKG_CONFIG_PATH=/usr/include/" or any other truncation of the location changes nothing. setting dependencies to off just fucks my shit up w/C errors.

I just tried compiling it using dl.xonotic.org/xonotic-0.8.2-mappingsupport.zip and got the same error.

Try using git to clone gitlab.com/xonotic/netradiant.git and see if you're able to compile that. Just cd into the directory and run make. If that doesn't work try using cmake. (cmake . && make)

That worked, but it still won't load textures. When I do flush and reload shaders, the console outputs
Texture load failed: "textures/"

Did you add the .pk3?

In Netradiant press p to open the prefrences. Make sure you selected Xonotic in global>game and in settings>paths the engine path should point to the directory where Xonotic is installed (I use /usr/share/xonotic). If it is installed somewhere else you want to find the folder containing data/xonotic-20170401-data.pk3 and use the parent directory.

Welp, my folders are disorganized as fuck now, but it worked. Thanks user.

So I've now got mumble running internally, which is already a massive improvement over yesterday. Now I just need to set up channels properly and then make it visible outside the network. DMZ time soon

At least I got knocked down a peg or two that I probably needed.

I'm definitely sure we can find some anons around your skill level; it just tends to be that the less trained players aren't as active.

Right now the ladder goes from regional champ to "I play other fps more often"-type players.

You're encouraged to join.

Can you add apple-whenweslide?

Semi-related, I now want to try and replicate CS:GO's surfing in Xonotic. Anyone know if this is possible and not dependent on a quirk unique to the Source Engine?

Like every other cool thing in CS, surfing comes from Quake. There's even some Q3 surf vids iirc but it's a little gimped there.

Pretty sure that Xon, as another extension of Quake tech, also has this, but I've pinged Komier for confirmation

What I want to know is if there is anything stopping me from attempting to copy the CS:GO surf physics in the same way XDF is a copy (approximation?) of Quake DeFRaG physics. The end goal being that CS:GO surf maps would be playable in Xonotic (ignoring for the moment the map format incompatibility).

There shouldnt be
According to Komier, you can already do a sort of janky version of surf without any modification

Provide a download link.

dl.xonotic.co/cts_apple-whenweslide.pk3
The spawn platform is fall-through.

Well shit dude, sorry that the Australian server isn't online anymore. This thread relied primarily on volunteers for server hosts (and I'm only the volunteer for the North American server- the EU one is run by someone else).

next time tell them they can host a server on any toaster vps. Some allow free snapshot storage, so they can just bring it up whenever they're playing for a few cents.

Or you or any aussie could also self-host. Xonotic servers don't use much bandwidth or demand a lot from hardware (the requirements would increase as more players are present on the server).

I hopped onto the server last night, spent five minutes getting headshotted by a fucking finngolian and then ragequit

Which server? EU?
Last night was essentially CTS/defrag night.

Has it been decided what is happening for the duel ladder for May?

The map list was carried over from April.

I'm excited to share that this map is now actually recognizable.

Haven't heard shit about any duels (other than the one I heard about mini) so forfeits for everyone
Feel free to nominate maps for next month. Normally I'd wait until the 15th (because nominating new maps without even touching the current batch seems a bit dumb) but this is some carryover shit.
Voting will start around the 20th, so please post your map nominations before then. As usual, ladder signups run up until the start of the next month, at which point you're waiting on the month after.

In other words, signups for June are open

is it gasoline?

No it's Sky Temples.

even worse

I can't tell from that screenshot (and it seems to be nearly impossible to find a video or screenshots of that map in Reflex) is Sky Temples a remake of Quake's Japanese Castles?

It looks like Dr Seuss in Japan which is perfect for weeaboo
I vaguely remember a Japanese looking map in Quake, but I don't think its a remake.

requesting we port weeaboo map from reddit game asap just for

Wow, that looks actually terrible map

It is not. Japanese castles was a bad map but this map some how is to be worse :D
Jap castles flag stand in box was at least not filled with teleporters leading over space and corners to items. Both maps base have a maze where you run around to win but in this map you can try to enjoy falling to space with flag. As well maybe the worst middle area and connections of any map I know.

Look deep in your heart.
And ask yourself.
Is forced platforming really all that bad compared to forced jump pads with a Vortex in the center of the map prime for sniping people as they go across?

(Pubs only vote gasoline because of the music and its only fun to annoy them because most of them don't airstrafe.)

I don't know why gasoline is even included. It's just a shittier version of space-elevator.

You forgot the part where the server empties out

But they learn their lesson to not vote for gasoline.
Every time a pub votes gasoline, is an opportunity to be annoying and practice sniping.

Add settemp_for_type all g_playerclip_collisions 1 to the mapinfo to make the spawn platform solid

Done.

I've managed to come up with something that is similarish to CS:GO's physics for the purpose of surfing. The only problem is that I've never actually played the game, so I have no clue how close I've gotten to an accurate recreation.

Is there anyone that knows CS:GO's physics well enough to help me out?

Yes it is easier than pestering sawa

Friday May 12th
poal.me/vzoned

Saturday, May 13th
poal.me/wqg3yz

Considering the 2 week trend of bumming around on Discord.
I do notice that we're getting new people, but it seems the trend is to join Discord, and then never play or organize games with other newbies, or even in the very least say anything.

Also on the recent mentions of "Xonotic General", I'd like to distance the thread from "generals" because of the social structure that is assumed regarding those. While there has been socializing outside of anonymous imageboards, I'd like to make it beyond obvious that any random user can still participate and contribute significantly without joining the social circle that has developed over the course of 10 months. (e.g hosting a pickup bot, pickup server, hosting a game server, joining the duel ladder, posting polls, etc)

Polling template is here:
p.teknik.io/Z2a4y
and anyone can make them for any day. (recommend: giving a at least a day in advance for votes to come in)

(There's also an off-fortnight game night for Halo CE this Friday as well, but let's also see how many are actually paying attention to the thread too)

Fuck

It's nice getting everyone together for games.
But please post more.

If you promise to kill yourself for this shitpost I'll provide you with a patch to revert the scoreboard change. I won't hold your (dead) hands when it comes time to apply the patch and compile.

If there's any thread lurkers wondering how to connect the server, you have to
connect 98.176.82.106:26000
because randomly, its not appearing on the public server list.

Any nominations for June map pool?
Also new challenges. More needs to happen on this later

Maybe this is Mario's response to reasonable and polite demonstrations. Best thing to do is get more anonymous times in dallas cts.

Tempest here.
I play on weekends. I can duel before the end of today, but if not, it'll have to be next Friday or Saturday.

Sounds good. You free to duuru now/soon-ish?

I can soon, in about 15 minutes.

Tofu here. Let's get it on and bump this thread to the TOP!

I agree with It could very well be mario's doing.

As far as I know Mario has no control over what is listed in the server browser. I'm sure the Nexuiz servers would have been removed long before Holla Forums's server, but they're still there.

Has anything changed server side? sv_public is still 1? If you want to rule out shenanigans (blacklisting) you can try temporarily changing the hostname and/or the server's keys, and as a last resort, the IP address.

Nothing changed.
sv_public 1, is still the case. I don't actually see "The Best"/Nexuiz servers on the browser though. I recall the server browser list has manual blocking rules, which Mario would have control over (I think he's the exact guy who pushed that commit too).

lmao if the server is actually being blocked.

I forgot about that file, but I think it only takes effect when there's an update. The last time it was modified was April 8 to block another Nexuiz server.

I wonder why they're still showing up for me.

These digits. Proof that Mario doesn't care what we do. Must be an accumulation of bugs fighting against the server and/or the nexuiz servers.

Proof we didn't get enough anonymous times on Dallas yet.

Where the nominations at?
Same rules as always
All ladder participants can nominate up to 3 maps
2+ nominations for the same map don't count for shit, so don't double up
I wanna get this shit locked down on the 25th

Someone's brought up that the server in Latvia is offline (and as far as I know, it maybe is). It's always been weird about the ports, and it's not seen on the server browser anymore either.

If any EU anons want to play on a server with other anons, lainchan has an EU server and their own IRC channel for it as well.

irc.lainchan.org:6697 #xonotic
stats.xonotic.org/server/10833

And speaking of which, about a month ago before their website went down and their database purged, there was the idea to do a Holla Forums vs lainchan team game event. Let's try to get that going again?

More of the same shit ladder-wise
New rule though. I don't give a fuck when you join. Join whenever
Fuck it
Post your intent in the thread and I'll add you to the chart

I'll be updating this shit once a week, since it's less of a pain in the ass and much easier for me to be reliable about it.

Any thoughts on extending challenges to a week and then hardcapping it?
e.g. I challenge 9-Ball, who has til the end of the week to sort shit out. If the duel doesn't happen and it isn't because I'm ducking, I win no questions asked. Less fuss, less bullshit. On a similar note, if I hear jack and shit about a duel result and I don't see it in the server history, nuffin happened

Dont be a Pitchford, fight your way up the ladder, find people of roughly your skill level and duel the fuck out of them. Git fuckin gud m80

To add on this. Lainchan has an Austrailian and a Japanese player.
I think it'll be good to gather up players in that region and build up a scene, and hopefully a lasting server.
(I also would've shilled on >>>/aus/ but its awkward to do so as a non-Austrailian)

are you joke?

Obviously they play on a server in Australia or Oceania in general.
But the previous aus anons were insistent on having a Holla Forums server.

They can coordinate who to host and whatnot amongst themselves once they got a consistent group to play with.

Got a mumble, fiddling with shit at the moment

mbl57.gameservers.com:10002
pass for xon channel: erebus

As it was mentioned in-game.
Going to start the discussion to decide what to do with Discord.
To close it, or to leave it open.

Arguments for closing it is that it is not conducive to anything productive (in the context of the threads and games). We've had a few newcomers who decide to join the discord, but they end up idling instead of coordinating matches with like-skilled players, and thus playing other games e.g the guy who wanted to git gud at duel in Xonotic but now plays Quake Champions and largely ignores @'s now.

Arguments for leaving it alone, I assume can be anything from keeping in touch with those who will not use Mumble/IRC/etc, to retaining a history or whatever.

for clarification, that's an access token. There's no prompt for a password

> >300
oh my fucking god, they don't have an Australian server yet can you can at least ask for matches like a normal human being

Kill it, discord has a nice feature set but mumble can do everything minus persistent text and mumble's eula doesn't tell you go fuck yourself, we're selling your data. Post the cool stuff to the thread instead.

this

Nominate maps fags
Nominations so far:
Finalrage
Fuse
Mint
Boil
Warfare
Monsoon

I aint using mumble again

I've been using both IRC and Discord. At this point, I lean towards IRC.
What Discord does that IRC doesn't, is auto-embedding images/videos (provided they're small enough), which I can live without, and voice chat. Meanwhile IRC is way more customizable and uses far less memory.
However, I've only been using browser-Discord as opposed to an installed client, on a temporary account, so I might be missing out on more features than I'm aware of.

Shit looks concise and doesn't have giant images and panels taking up screenspace too.
The stupid thing is that it/QuakeNet may blurt out ip addresses to the entire chatroom.
But some irc servers like lainchan's obfuscates it right away.

Whats your issue with mumble? Also nobody was using voip anyway

My issue is that I stopped using it a long time ago. Uninstalled, and it wont be used again just because I occasionally play Xonotic. imo keep the discord, more likely for people to access the game through it

only 8 people use it regularly, and half of them only reluctantly. That's the primary issue
That and it's actually less effective to use w/ xonotic than irc, where you can set up a bot (hint hint sawa) and where there isnt a company practically spelling out the terms under which your information will be gathered.
Ergo IRC+mumble (for voip, especially if people decide that organized tdm/ctf is the way to go) seems like a much better option

My concern is that its largely lead to idling instead of actual games. As mentioned,

The irc doesn't have [as much of the] same issue because the server has irc integration that notifies when players are on the server and lets in-game players chat with irc.

Also check out this nice one.

None of the 25 on discord joined the chat then played so, though it could be used for entry into the game, it hasn't been used this way yet. It's just a place to occasionally start games and chat. IRC is a better place to start games, considering more join after seeing activity through the IRC bot than through discord. I'd prefer to idle on a mumble than idle on irc or discord simply just so I don't have to deal with a third party.

oi fuck m8 he actually killed the discord

Discord is dead. IRC and Mumble now bitches

Trips confirm I made the right choice

someone post the setup to hide that by default to thread

Register and confirm an account.
quakenet.org/help/q/how-to-register-an-account-with-q
If you don't want to give it your actual email, address you can just use a 20 minute email with no fuss.

Type in /umode +x

You are now hidden.

Pic related, you can set your client to automatically do this when you connect to the server.
It might reconnect faster (in case of an internet contingency) than it actually sets the mode so it may be needed to increase auto join delay or just disable the auto-reconnect.

Extra note, you don't need to do this at all for lainchan's irc since they have it configured to automatically obfuscate your ip.

Also if you're having trouble and want to try some stuff out. You can just connect to the irc server (where you're alone in a "lobby") without joining any channels.

+ for QuakeNet and autologging in.
Fill in username and password.
Select Challenge Auth (username + password), if it isn't already.

Check out this webm I found.

He's right though, for the most part. The arena shooter audience is dead, there's very little people that are playing any arena shooters (under 500). There is no reason for AAA companies to listen to them, and when there is no people playing the indie shooters either, it gives more reason for AAA companies to give up on the genre, which is sad to see what changes Bethesda has done to Quake in order to rake in the cash, because if they didn't, there would be no profit.

He's pretty spot on actually. Most of the people whining about QC don't actually play Quake and never played it that much if at all in the first place. Quake pros have been very accepting of QC pretty much unanimously and want to help it get better and get a bigger audience.

Sure, the playing population is very tiny, and maybe the genre has far more admirers and poseurs than it does actual players.
(Nexuiz isn't really played anymore since it got forked into Xonotic however, as part of the licensing dispute.)

He comes across as pretentious especially if you don't fall under any of the caricatures he presents. But I feel he may be calling those guys' bets on whether or not to back up words with actions, which is very needed.

I think its more of the fact that the game is disrespecting the source material by putting champions, loot crates and skins in order to broaden the wider demographic, which is why I think Quake Live is better at representing Q3A. The new UT game also has some of these elements but dose it better by having the skins be purchased outside of the game and have no in game currency to worry about, and all the characters play the same.

Yeah, he was a cunt in that portion of the video because he kept seeing the same complaint over and over again. There's another video of him talking about the same subject but a little calmer.

What a stupid fat cunt

I hate to say it but arena shooters only need to find a gameplay gimmick that works. Overcuck is an arena shooter in some respects and look at the base of the tip on that thing.

So there only needs to be a gimmick and easy to get into with level design that makes you get killed or kill some dudes easily, kinda like cod map designs. But they need the 60fps thing going on, if not its as good as dead.

Adding to a game isn't disrespecting it. I also don't blame them for trying to broaden the demographic, when their current demo is comprised of less that 1,000 people if we go by playercount.

and nobody plays it.

Which changes nothing.

So you're forced to spend money on skins instead of playing the game for them? How is this a good thing?

They confirmed last year you can play without abilities if you want to.

Xonotic's map-based movement gimmick is ramp jumps (largely map shortcuts) and some maps have explosive barrels- though generally any vertical movement in the wrong situation is asking for a Vortex. You also got rocket jumps mid-air to save youself from an abyss, oddly, people don't really do that.

I think Quake Champions isn't a bad game, its ok and I play it when the beta's come out, but there is fans of the Quake games that are upset with the changes. I do think games need to adapt in order to survive, which is why all the other games failed in having a solid player base, but there's always going to be backlash when they make any changes to the formula.

I guess some differences such as moving a cube to the other room, and shootable portals is what makes a widely recognized brand name vs some niche mod.

Wait, Portal 2 has Quake 2 style strafe jumping? How about 1?

Quake 1 style (because Source engine is based on Quake 1 engine and they never really fixed bunny hopping and instead tried to make it impractical and hard).
Here's a CSGO one.
People reacted the same when I mentioned Quake style bunnyhopping works in COD, Everquest 2, CSGO, etc.

Also yes. If it's Source engine, you can probably do it.

No it isn't. That's the thing
People keep talking about how Quake Champions is changing the formula. It isn't. It's tacking Quake mechanics onto another formula. Class/Character based shit is a different subgenre.
Otherwise what are we basing this shit on? Minor pickups that do nothing? Powerups? Is SMNC now an arena shooter? Is W:ET? Is TF2?

Quake Live has roughly the same number of players/day as Bad Company 2 on steam last I checked. Both came out in the same year, but one was a browser port of a game from 1999. While Battlefield has had more recent entries, all Quake has had is this new garbage. Meanwhile DOOM did well based solely on brand recognition and flashy mechanics. I'm pretty sure you could make Quake flashier for normalfags and add in some gimmick modes ezpz. Characters got picked because that's what's "in" right now, not because they thought it would "evolve" the "formula". It's Fallout 3 2.0

I got Quake 2 strafe jumping down pretty good but could never get Q1 style properly. Having to do it without holding down W just feels weird and wrong to me.

Which could explain why the numbers are so low. Quake Live is the most recent, thus it would have the most people playing who want the pure Quake Arena shooter experience. Yet it's almost dead. The people whining about changes, purity, etc are simply grandstanding for e-cred for a game they never played. People who ACTUALLY PLAY Quake are open to QC and want Quake to reach a new and wider audience.

Also on Xonotic's small playerbase which is the basis of concern that arena shooters aren't popular because no one plays them. It's some FOSS game which you can consider an indie game in terms of budget- it's not going to have huge marketing behind it and neither do the developers have Phil Fish, Zoe Quinn, or whatever tier levels of connections and social influence among gaming journalism. There's a lot of hit indie games, but I think that's the developer equivalent of winning the lottery, considering there are very many unrecognized indie games.

you don't know shit about source. one of the basic design principles of the engine is maintaining "bugs" that enabled interesting features. They tried to limit it in some games, but CSS especially pre-OB, HL2 to this very day, all have probably the easiest bunny hopping. Valve designed their own physics system to work perfectly with things like surfing and bunny hopping and to be very scalable. Your knowledge of the tech seems to start with a very convenient reference where valve went above and beyond in limiting engine quirks to streamline the game play rather than where it should fucking start:

at the beginning.

Then again you have (35) posts in a fucking xonotic thread, a shit game in a shit genre on a shit platform. I really, really doubt you have anything worth listening to that doesn't need extensive corrections so my only advice is for you to lurk the fuck more or fuck off.

the quake 'pros' want it to survive so they don't have to get a proper job

m8 you are fucking late to the party.
It's gotten to
to the point i set my in-game name to that. See webm.

Quake 3 is almost 20 years old. It's still outdoing a lot of other games that came out in 2010 based only on a poorly supported web port. The other attempts at revitalizing the genre are tiny indie projects, or tiny FOSS projects. Imagine what would happen to any other franchise in a niche genre if the only new titles they had were basically unknown. Lets take out SC2, Company of Heroes, Supcom, Men at War etc, and give RTS only 3 man dev teams and FOSS projects. How well is Zero-K doing again? Oh, just checked now. 1 in MM, 2 matches happening right now Where's Grey Goo at?
And yet major RTS releases still pull in decent numbers. Even Starcraft, which is incredibly difficult for a lot of people to get into. Weird how that works

Also I still put time into CPM and Xonotic, faggot, and I think QC is retarded. I only hope that it acts as a stepping stone into actual arena shooters. I have 149 hours on the OG Q3 client, probably double that on the CPM one, 327 hours in Reflex and about 6 days solid in-match time in Xonotic. This is all within the past few years.

Also
Please commit sudoku

No, you're retarded

Nigga, you don't know shit about shit. You can't start at the beginning. You have to start at the beginning of the beginning of the beginning:

goldsrc

Also on the note of actually playing AFPS, any of you QC defending faggots, refined AFPS-appreciating patricians, or patient new players wanna fucking fight? I'll be fucking around in the server

You're completely glossing over the fact that it's only around 2 thousand people that still play it/pure arena shooters in general. That's not enough to dump several million dollars into a brand new project for. If it doesn't make an effort to reach out to new players/wider audience then it will just continue to wither and die.

come at me faggot we got a game server right here

kek wills it.

Lacking commercial viability is not dead, at least in NA and yurop. Play if you want. Same tired argument pops up in every afps thread and never goes anywhere. AFPS fans will still play and shitposts will still be made.

Let's go faggots

How many 15-20 year old games have playerbases of about 2k and don't warrant a new entry?
Only Quake it seems

When there's no support people leave, retard. That's why it's hard to find a match for Total Annihilation+offshoots, and why it isn't hard to find a match in (insert major new RTS here).

also pictured: People ACTUALLY PLAYING and not being fag enablers :^)
QC is shit. Nu-id and Bethshit are still garbage

I'd like to nominate TA for gamenight. Is custom AI allowed?

I don't know if there's custom AI available for Xonotic. But 0.8.2 has improved bots allegedly, and the server doesn't have an issue with running them.

Also reminder that TB is a massive hypocrite. He talks about how the playerbase is failing to support games with no marketing budget and yet

GEE ITS ALMOST LIKE PEOPLE WITH THE AUDIENCE TO PROMOTE NICHE PRODUCTS THAT THEY CLAIM TO LIKE AREN'T ACTUALLY DOING ANYTHING TO CONTRIBUTE TO THEIR SUCCESS

wew

Hey, can we get Smilecythe's map?

forums.xonotic.org/showthread.php?tid=7441

Looks pretty great, and we need more 2v2 maps

direct download link for those interested
dropbox.com/s/y27vcx9sgwnbmeh/tuhma_b1.pk3?dl=0

he doesn't want a 'classic' arena shooter
although i wont play xonotic until there's a proper /aus/ server that allows me to bant hard

Oh I have no doubt, but the thin-skinned cuck keeps complaining about "muh purists" and "muh small audience" when he's one of the reasons why there's a small audience. The issue being that nobody knows about Xonotic/Nexuiz, barely anyone knows about Warsow/Reflex, and not everyone wants to play VQ3 with no mod support (QLive)

Unfortunately, only AFPS devs come from Australia for whatever reason, not server hosts or players. Thank you for your devs and accent though

The Xonotic devs don't shill their own game yet because of some mindset not to publicize a game in early development (they're not jumping on the early access meme for whatever reason).

There's a general Australian playing scene in Xonotic (they hang around on QuakeNet IRC #xonotic.au), but I assume you want your playing peers to also come from imageboards. m8, I think you should take the initiative to shill on >>>/aus/ or even host a server yourself. I don't think many of us, as non-Australians, are in position to do that.

yeah that's a bit irritating, but to be fair it's not like Mario (or anyone else for that matter) has got some weird pull with game journos or a big marketing push planned or anything, so I don't know that it makes all that much of a difference

Also can we get this version of Phrantic added?
dropbox.com/s/9ka2w1d1xl80gbv/phrantic_b3.pk3?dl=0
I wanna see how it plays out with the Q4 tunnel
Thread here for those interested
forums.xonotic.org/showthread.php?tid=7389

correction, link is here
dropbox.com/s/6sls698rkmgs2wk/phrantic_b4.pk3?dl=0
OP didnt edit their post to include the newer version, and has linked 2 versions of the map in the same thread

At least the devs have xon in a few linux repositories. I think that's where I found nexuiz years ago. Should get a fair number of new players just because this, warsow, and assaultcube are the only shooters in the repos with players on servers.

Nominating phrantic. I don't want to nominate maps we've been playing for months in the ladder this time.

They know and you know the normalfags are on Steam.
xonotic.org/posts/2013/about-xonotic-and-steam/

Added.
Less cramped than the cpm port version.

You have 2 more possible nominations if you wanna mix things up a little more.

Also any other nominations from other players? I'll throw up the poll on Friday along with what will basically be the finalized May ladder

Reminder that you can now join the ladder whenever. I'll add you to the list I'll post every Friday (if not earlier). Further reminder that the ladder should be a tool for finding good duel partners and figuring out who you need to beat next. It doesn't have to be dick wagglan

Server going offline very briefly.

back online, it should be seen on the public server browser now.
Or at least now I'm seeing it on the index of
dpmaster.deathmask.net/?game=xonotic

I can come up with something on Thursday.

Alright cool. I mean, we wouldn't have to have a vote if we stayed at 7, but I'd rather there be a bit of a selection process ideally

If it isn't too late,
Silentsiege
Xoylent
CPM16 / Iron Lung

Not too late at all. I'll post the poll when I get home. I get to bail early today so it'll maybe be about 1-ish when I post. I'll accept any nominations until that point

Poll for June
poal.me/twlgab

Also t0uYK8Ne has been added to the ladder. I'm just going to stick people at the bottom, rather than trying to eyeball placement (which I did for SPLAT, and he just challenged everyone anyway)

Anyone up for some TDM today?

Yes.

I made this.
So what else are we doing that I'm barely cognizant of?

They were here all along.
Come.
Your countrymen are waiting.

Of course TDM Saturday is a thing. Where have you been?

No he isn't. That fat cunt takes himself too seriously and says things "as fact" in a serious tone when they aren't; he talks like he's arguing with someone yet no one's there to talk back. He responds to people in the comments when they say something obviously retarded, but he won't ever respond to someone when they easily refute his retarded points. He's honestly no different than current-year faggot except he talks about video games on youtube.

Look at CS, as far as a "CS scene" went it was as good as dead. There was going to be a few last gasps of air and that was gonna be it, casual play would be all that was left in those games, then cs:go came along. What does CS:GO have that 1.6 has? Better graphics, marketing, skins, marketing, big flashy esports events for children, marketing, marketing, and marketing. Meanwhile 1.6 is still an objectively superior to cs:go in terms of netcode and mechanics, yet no one would ever jump ship for 1.6 because it's old.

Quake live looked dated almost immediately, and it wasn't marketed much at all, that's why it never took off as much as it should've.
Meanwhile if Reflex, which should have textures, was given a free weekend with it's title plastered across the main page of the steam store would easily pickup a few thousand of players. Why? Because it's new.

If they took Quake, updated the graphics, gave it far more features than other current titles, provide better netcode than competition, etc, etc. It would've stolen from everything and bounced onto the top as far as people's attention goes. This isn't because any of those features appeal to the average fuck, but because it has the name Quake and the marketing will be easy as fuck (just like with CS). Quake Champions will not keep the player base that Quake deserves because it's awful, you'll see a surge in activity and interest like there was with starcraft 2, then the population will slowly taper down.

What that fat cunt doesn't understand, is that a game's popularity 100% hinges on marketing and aesthetics, nothing else. What keeps it at the top of the chart's is addicting gameplay, which doesn't even necessarily have to be good to superior to past titles. Quake is far more addicting, and provides fare more of a rush, than any of the other crap out right now; people would be easily be hooked.

Someone who doesn't understand how much that vast majority games popularity hinge on marketing alone isn't someone I take seriously as a game reviewer.

I know you guys like to play TDM on Saturdays but not as an every Saturday kind of thing.

Also help me name the server bots.

What timezone

Server time, which is PST.
Image should be updated for that.

Any ideas for the rest of the days are welcome- whether have something special for Sunday or leave it as it is now (it tends to be a 'break' day compared to other weekends).

But there are 2 servers.

The one in Latvia is down or appears to be. The EU server that's left is lainchan's and they have their own things going on.

9-Ball is challenging mini, Worst, and t0. I'll be on tonight.

Bots have been added. Additionally some maps have AI waypoints added so the bots aren't standing at spawn and acting like turrets. vcall +bots // enables botsvcall -bots // disables bots
If the duel mode is set, then at most 2 bots will be on the server. Any other case, there will be 6 bots. If there are already 6 bots on the server and the duel mode is set. It may need to be flipped off and on, to get the proper amount of bots.

They also have some custom names and the parameters for their behavior have been tweaked a bit to be less of a pushover than they were at default settings.

Bots have received custom waypoints for the following maps:
airwalk_v3
bleach-b2
cpm1a
cpm3a
cpm10
cpm16
cpm17
monsoon_q3
zih_roof_q3

Also some people playing.

Map Pool for June is Boil, Fuse, Phrantic, Silentsiege, Iron Lung, Mint, Warfare
I'll post the full doc tomorrow

The scores from bot matches are pretty funny.

I've seen him leave a match after a single death. So him leaving after starting to lose is nothing new.

The fact he would ragequit a match against all bots is funny simply because it wouldn't do anything to his elo if he actually lost.

Need bots to push buttons and go through these obstacles. How do.

oldest thread in the board?

It tends to be. Yes.
Not only that, for some reason the torfags posts have been getting deleted.

Yeah my bad. Longass packet tracer projects and mmoshit escapism from Cisco shit fries my brain

I can only get shit locked down for voting when we have things to vote on :^)

Beginning of the month or around last week, I saw on the banned page I got that some tor using shitposter was taunting the mods to delete his posts.

You got your maps included with Xonotic mixed up. Mint isn't a default map, and Boil is.

You don't say?

Hey, we should get these player id quints when the time is right.

stats.xonotic.org/players

I had a nagging feeling something was wrong about that list. I'll set a reminder to get that fixed up for the next ladder update.

Oh, and when do the newbies tend to hop on? I don't have any classes tomorrow or Friday

A group of newbies were showing up around the afternoons. 12 PM server time, to 3 PM. There's also 2 of them right in the irc channel that'll likely go in if they see server activity.

Also the OP is super outdated and we should either get a mod to edit it, or let the thread 404 then make a new one. The latter we might not count on since
lainchan.org/inter/res/98.html
may come in and to try and organize that lainchan vs Holla Forums event that was planned before their site got nuked.