Remote Lava Boost

Guys they're so so fucking close to solving SM64, beating it 100% without an A press

Other urls found in this thread:

forums.glitchcity.info/index.php/topic,6638.0.htmlCode:
pastebin.com/raw.php?i=GByyfPeAItem
youtube.com/watch?v=D3EvpRHL_vk
archiveofourown.org/works/10754010
archive.fo/vcMdS#selection-21803.0-21809.0
archive.fo/Qh6sH
archive.fo/lNBbH
archive.fo/tYUwm
archive.fo/8TI5k#selection-2793.0-2795.1
twitter.com/AnonBabble

I fucking love how this shit is named.

I wonder what he's gonna do when he has nothing left to pick apart in SM64

he'll pick his own brain apart and become cyber Buddha.

I know fuck-all about the N64's architecture. Is it true that SM64 was crammed into 8MBs of space? Why? Didn't cartridges have a bigger storage than that?

Also, that would explain why the game's code is so fucking buggy at specific spots.

Oh wow, yet another video from that half A press guy!

This is exactly what I want to watch! And by god I'm happy that I'm using the Holla Forums front page instead of my youtube subscriptions.

there's a story about how the programmers for Mario 64, and by extension Ocarina of Time, all quit less than a year before the game came out. if it's true then it would explain a lot.

Mario Sunshine.

I'm pretty sure there are nigh infinite number of handicaps one could give themselves to milk this until the heat death of the universe.

Every thread.

A half-press is still a press. Not a full-press but still a press in some way.

A shitpost is still a shitpost, you can't have only half

And yes, you can have half an A press.

This is a videogames imageboard forum, where we can discuss videogames-related videos without having to deal with jewtube's horrid comments system, you know?

After reading some of the interviews I think the programmers just burned out and quit because these were japanese companies working under very tight deadlines. I bet it was fucking hell working there.

gay

Heavy A-Press, or a Ghost A-Press.

SM64DS****

8MBs was a lot of space back then believe it or not. Mario 64 was programmed in C (N64 development kits were based on Silicon Graphics Indy Workstations and included a C compiler and a 3D modeling suite) It doesn't seem like much today because developers are shit at optimization but also remember things like textures didn't need to be particularly high-res either considering the target resolution of NTSC/PAL

Also, Mario 64 was the original N64 launch title back in '96 so its unlikely they had anything bigger than 8MB ROM chips, by the end of the N64s life though they had up to 64MB ROM chips

There's no real evidence for this and no interviews ever confirmed it. That said, there's a lot of mystery surrounding the development of these games. Most likely because of the Skunkworks-esque development back in those days. These people were pulling off shit that literally nobody had done before, it was all completely new territory. Back before 1996 there was many examples of true 3D graphics but nowhere near on the scale these guys were doing.

One other thing is that the physical size of carts also increased the cost/unit. Like, SNES games could be made cheaper if they didn't have as much storage or VFX chips on 'em

He'll figure out how to complete life in 0.5x a presses.

they'll call it "The Kegel Run".

Despite that fact, judging by the game's length and content/size one might think it'd take more than 8MB to make a game like it back then. Optimization is a wonderful lost art, isn't it?

Being a 3D programmer in the 90's / late 80's must have felt fucking magical.

Considering the sheer amount of suffering they had to do like mentioned, it had to or they'd kill themselves out of it frustration. Nintendo especially, since most 3D devs benefited from their work. One of my favorite quotes is one of the Houser brothers saying how any 3D devs that wasn't inspired by Mario 64 or OoT is lying through their teeth. I think that period fucked them up later on, since they keep innovating for the sake of rather than just improving what they have.

I heard Miyamoto was an asshole who stole ideas from Argonaut like their Star Fox 2 in SF64 and also SM64, didn't pay them, made fun of the fact he didn't pay them, and then left them out to dry.

No wonder Nintendo has no developers now.

Edit, found the video,

get this fag outta here

Do a Cosmo.

Larry bundy is my fucking husbando and fucks me tenderly every night!!

Stop posting your shit here, Bundy, contain it on halfchan.

Yeah, didn't have a webm because it's way too big to transcode again.

All I know Bundy from is his posts on what normalfags would consider questionable videos. Not surprised he uses 4chan. JonTron no doubt does as well.

Do you mean

I see these anti-immigration videos and shit and Bundy Jr is always one of the top comments. I got used to seeing his posts everywhere, granted they might have been fake but probably not since they were always highly voted.

That's so cool! I see him everywhere too! I used to think he was fucking annoying, but I warmed up after giving up and watching his videos.

fresh OC

Holy shit.

I do not understand this forced meme, is it some kind of an inside joke that the human trash from the speedrunning community use among themselves?

it's not new unless you're thinking in "you can have these 'cutting edge' graphics on a home console"

Yes, because some autist made a description of holding the "A" button to clear the level and now you have people from halfchan coming here saying "HAHAHAH A PRESSES ARE WRONG XDDDDDDDDDDD" when you tell them to fuck off and meme elsewhere they double down and say "OMG TJ HENRY PLEASE GO ^-^"

Fuck off Henry.

I want to be that croc

By then hopefully we will have full VR with completely simulated universes
And then he ride off into the virtual sunset, becoming a wizard in an alternate reality

The reason why it gets shitposted is because of how incredibly autistic he is about not pressing A, not because he made an explanation as to why it counts as a half-press.

Now if only this guy would put this much effort into figuring out how the universe works.

This editing is obnoxious and unfunny.

Well yeah but posting the 24 minute video itself wouldn't exactly give a short summary

well, that was something

completing levels without using any form of controller input.

Doesn't that completely invalidate the ""challenge"" if you're hacking you might as well just make there be a flat teleport.

pretty much. so basically he gave up and is secretly having a fit behind the camera.

He's probably going to commit suicide because he violated the tenants of his autism, or he'll get mentally worse and worse as time goes on because that one violation (or delusion that what he did was okay to do despite violating his challenge) is going to eat away at his mind until he's a gibbering fool.

It's happened before to others.

The hack isn't considered a legitimate means to pass the segment. It's used as a proof-of-concept that the platform can attain a lava-boost capable state. The problem is mario manipulating the platform into that ideal state and keeping it there with a timing exact enough to allow him to lava boost in.

He has more. For example he has one video where he tries to figure out a way to kill an enemy that spawns on the death plane and exists for a single frame so he could collect the coin.

its not like this is the first time hes hacked the game as an experiment

He's even said several times in his videos that he's experimented with hypotheticals via hacks.

Sunshine

Please be patient, he has autism.

Sunshine runs off a different engine and probably won't have anywhere near the same number of exploitable quirks as 64.

Actually, if he presses the A key and also holds it, but doesn't release it. That means he has 2/3s of an A press.

he'll go on an impressive murder spree before integrating himself with, and hacking gaia

The releasing of a button has no use and isn't counted, but even if it was he wouldn't be releasing it in your example and it would only be 1/3.

in the video he clearly states the .5 thing is just a formality that doesn't mean anything outside of segmented videos. it essentially means "the A button was pressed, but won't be counted as a whole press until the next segment".

I still don't understand why anyone would do any of this and I actually HAVE autism.

You guys are goofs :3

If I recall correctly, it was because he got banned from a certain speedrunning event

Him (High Functioning Autism)
————————-

You (Low functioning Autism)

That sounds like a better meme than half a press.

Miyamoto is a fucking asshole.

Explain.

How do you know if you never met him?
No, I am not Miyamoto. Do not think that.

oCARINA OF tIME

In 1996? Only in the context of cartridges. 650MB CD-ROM discs were established as a data storage medium for several years before Nintendo blundered by sticking with carts for zero practical purpose.

He was banned from a speedrunning event for non-autism related reasons and so he decided to do impossible shit as a sort of "fuck you" to the organisers

B-But Speed!!! And Anti-Piracy!!!

it's a platforming game where you jump. you use the a button to jump. thus, seeing how much of the game you can play without its primary mechanic is a challenge.
it's a totally arbitrary challenge, but it has internal logic. finishing a game as fast as possible is an arbitrary challenge, too. this isn't that different.

Is it really 0 A presses if you have to use hacks for it though?

Yes, editing his videos to TLDR results in watduhfug.jpg all around.

Speed running is for faggots too. Just play the game.

But I studied 10 months to shave off a full 2 seconds from my Goldeneye playthough!

Theyre using hacks to prove its possible. It is. Now they reverse engineer it so its legit with in game actions only

That's what they're doing. They just play games better than 99% of the world.

Actually he used speedrunning tech to technically complete the challenges in extremely obtuse ways that went against the spirit of the event

kind of what speedrunners look like to those who prefer no glitch runs. hes ascended.

Only on 70 stars. You also have an a press on TTC. if you're doing all levels. And then you have the castle itself, and figuring out a way to improve upon those .5 a presses.
Glitch Exploit Thread?

Description of the vid:
Pokemon Blue: "Jailbreaking" the Gameboy with 8F (no TASing needed)For more information and more item lists visit: forums.glitchcity.info/index.php/topic,6638.0.htmlCode: pastebin.com/raw.php?i=GByyfPeAItem list:* Bicycle* 8FX Accuracy, x97Burn Heal, x126Parlyz Heal, x15HP UP, x15Ice Heal, x15Potion, x134TM34, x20TM17, x46Leaf Stone, x52Great Ball, x201TM10, x1TM15, x46Swap TM17 x46 with TM15 x46, use 8F and jump off a ledge to walk through walls.Then swap TM17 and TM15 back, toss TM34 until only one of them remains and use a Bicycle. The program is now in entering mode, and upon using 8F one byte is written, with its value depending on your X and Y positions.To run the created code, swap TM10 x1 with TM34 and use 8F.It is possible to run custom "applications", with the maximum size of 254 bytes.Unlike previous attempts of reprogramming the game, no TASing is required, so this can be done by a human on a cartridge just fine.Author : TheZZAZZGlitchPublished : Fri 17 May 2013 08:40:25 PM View count : 125817Link : youtube.com/watch?v=D3EvpRHL_vk
Polite sage

Say what you will about these old N64 games, "they aged poorly", "people only like them because of nostalgia", or all those other reddit memes, but they had a level of depth that allowed for all of this fuckery, which more refined games don't. You think in 20 years people will be figuring out stuff like this for 3D World or Galaxy?

A sage is a sage, you can't say it's polite.

who knows, i certainly didnt see it coming for mario 64

what the fuck is jailbreaking

I'd be surprised if today's popular games are even playable in 2037.

Either go insane and do random shit, or just another Mario game.

but user, what if my post is off topic, or should've been included in the post I made before it? If I bump that thread, it's an illegitimate bump that should've gone to some other thread.

Jailbreaking is when you take an iPhone (or some other applegoy product) and crack it to allow it to run code not from the (((app store))).
Similarly, the vid shows this faggot making the pokemon cartridge run code that's not supposed to be there, hence the use of the word in quotation marks. Do you get it now nigger?

Just because you don't like a fact doesn't make it a reddit meme.

i think its a term that describes removing restrictions. its now 'free', outta jail.

How the fuck does first gen Pokemon even stay together. Saying it's held together with duct tape and bubblegum would be too kind.

I mean, I suppose you can do that without TASing, but damn if that doesn't look tedious as hell. Even if I knew exactly what I was doing, I would probably give up about two minutes into it. Still, pretty incredible what you can do with enough time and dedication and autism.

It was programmed in an assembly language with tight hardware limitations.

With TASing, you can increase the size by modifying IV Values.
want an autism dump?

But it's just programming through an obtuse and obnoxious layer of abstraction. Are you implying OOP programmers are autistic?

this would be the thread for it

K. A lot of these are too big to dl but I'll use webm when possible.

kill himself on stream

Hey if it works it works

Welp, it looks like most of these are too thicc for webm'ing on here.

Here's another gloriously autistic glitch-fag, Stryder7x. Weirdly enough most of these glitch communities seem to center around Nintendo games.

250mb limit when?

Oh they finally show Mr.Pickles at work? I always wondered what he did and how he could afford what he did working as a toy designer. I figure it was one of those little adult jokes that 90s shows had talking to parents but kids wouldn't get, the joke being his job was fake and he was a loser but his wife couldn't get anyone else so she was stuck with this guy living in fantasy land and making little money while she was the bread winner. This started to happen in the 90s so I expect it was deliberately put in the show as social commentary much like bulldyke controlling the gay and the two type A rivals raising a spoiled kid because all they did was care about themselves so all she did was care about herself.

I think we're reaching the safe limits for autism in a day, so I'll just stop here. If someone with a beefier rig, a lot of patience, and lots of skill with ffmpeg could webm the ones I had to embed, that'd be gr8.

>>>/reddit/

Did you click it son, it's the 0.25x version

The only ones that do deserve actual credit are the people who manage to get Doom up and running on every device known to man.

user, I was a CS major. I fell for that meme. I can tell you that practically everyone in my classes was at least a little autistic.

Yeah this is from Rugrats in Pairs, where they use his designs to Build motion controlled full scale robots of Reptar and Robo Snail.

Is this documented or recorded? Sounds funny as hell.

Todays popular games are hardly playable a month after release.

This guy has the most fucking retarded naming conventions.
Parallel dimensions and defacto speed were also glaring demonstrations of his autism
Either way what he's achieved is impressive.

That makes no sense. You don't need extra storage space for code correctness and error checks, you just need good programmers and a healthy work cycle

I had a friend who was at least 4 years mentally behind. For his 15th birthday he invited everyone to see this movie.

No wonder he's your friend

Yeah, I think that's a good way to describe one of my friends we had in grade school and high school. He was always pretty childish and liked dragons a little too much. He liked cats and particularly, The Artistocats movie

To be fair he's using the same naming conventions as math/physicsfags, naming things after their discoverers or after their closest analogy. Just like how a vector's "flow" was named based on a hydrodinamic analogy, or how Gauss discovered how a EF's flow through a volume equals it's inner electric charge and then named it Gauss' Law.

t. guy on 2nd year of a CE course

That is wrong, if you have to cram a big game in a small memory space you are going to need to keep things simple, as in make the metal do one thing and assume nothing goes wrong, because you can't afford to waste ROM, RAM and CPU cycles on robust systems that keep everything in check and glitch free. The whole Parallel Universe deal is a product of this low level programming, they did not bother to code many checks that ensured Mario was in the game world all the time, they only bothered with checks to prevent glitches they discovered or foresaw. They probably knew about being able to go out of bounds with enough speed but they figured no kid was going to be pressing backwards on a slope for 12 hours to accomplish out of bounds freedom.

Are you sure he wasn't watching it unironically?

t. weeb

t. furfag

You aint any better.

Fucking casual

One thing people have to understand here is that Mario 64 isn't glitchy in the traditional sense, these challenge runners are actively trying to break the game, many times tool assisted (not just playing the N64).

Actually, I think the author's said at some point the reason new pages to make is because she takes a lot of time getting all the lighting and colors correctly.
polite sage

Parallel fucking dimension is most certainly not the closest analogy to what he found. Ghost maps would've been much easier to understand and much less autistic. Since you can traverse to other different "dimensions" by just performing a big jump, then this "dimension" is not the mathematical or physical concept of dimension, and it's not even the science fiction concept of dimension, it's just the same map's collision repeated over and over, without graphics.
Same with "de facto speed". That is the most unnecessarily confusing nigger shit ever. It all happened because the meter he had on the top left of his screen read "SPD", so he had to come up with a distinction between "real" speed and that "fake" speed… it would've all been much easier if he called the "fake" speed power, or acceleration, and the "real" speed just speed. It was all just so fucking retarded.

The question was not about RAM and CPU, just ROM storage, and whether or not you require a lot of extra memory for error checks. The answer is, you don't. That doesn't take much extra space at all.
And you don't need a lot of extra checks to ensure stuff like Mario not going out of bounds.
Yes, exactly. With more testers and a work cycle that focused more on bugs they would've taken care of that as well.
In this particular I agree it was unnecessary to do so though, what he does is retarded and nobody else does it.

Uh huh, he's the mentally-behind one.

The crane remote at my workplace performs it's function with the press of a button, not release.
So I could drop a large metal container on myself and thusly kill myself in half-an-A press.

oh user, no. come on man

Eh? I'll watch it if it's good. You know what is an unironically good little flick: Room on the broom.

You do when a single CPU instruction is 0.000095% of the cartridge size. How many checks are you going to code just to make sure Mario doesn't travel to parallel universes?

One. You don't have to code a different check for every map. Once the engine is free of obvious bugs, it's enough.
Besides, are you seriously making a fucking point that checks take up a lot of cartridge size when literally everything else in the game takes up more storage space than that? I dunno, get rid of a texture or a few of them and you have the extra space you need if you're really that crammed.

It's precisely because you have to fit other shit in the cartridge that you have to keep the code simple. They did put in checks for out of bounds, but not enough systems and checks to prevent extreme out of bounds fuckery. The 3D navigation code is also a lot of fuckery because the code was made naive.

Dude, just go with the faggot you're replying -which has never coded anything outside a "hello world" example from a "javascript for retards" pdf- bug free engine

Like I said, I'm fine with the out of bounds checks in this particular case, I think it was enough. All I'm saying is adding an extra check or two doesn't add much storage space. You don't need to code a check for every map, once is enough. Literally everything else in the game takes up more space. If a single CPU instruction is 0.000095% of the catridge size, a single texture is much more. I'm sure they must've had room for some extra code checks in the cartridge, they just didn't add more checks because it would've been unnecessary and a waste of money to pay programmers to code that.

no, I mean there will be literally no possible way to obtain it and all archived footage of the game will be lost forever.

An autist that normally does Melee videos already beat him to it

I hate the mentality that that fact represents. It's the same one represented by Nintendo shit-talking emulators, and it's the Jewiest, most short-sighted train of thought imaginable. Buy our games, goy! Oh, what's that, they're out of print/unplayable/all the hardware is dead? Too bad, maybe one day we'll release an emulated version :^)

On the other hand, nothing of value will be lost when it comes to modern games.

I like how he does it in the style of scott's video.

It's not that Nintendo is actively against archiving games, it's just that they're obsessed with making money and nothing else. Emulators fuck with their business of rereleasing their old games on virtual console or whatever so they don't like that. If they hear about a means to archive games that doesn't potentially fuck with their business they're not going to care, and that means they're not going to help or contribute either. They don't have nostalgia and don't have sentimental attachments to their previous works, they just do what makes money.

Ya know I could envision this happening if some low-level dev got lazy and didn't want to play through certain levels to fix a bug, so he made some crazy N64 power button code that let him complete the game and look like he was doing his job.

Exactly. I hate to sound like a commie, but the whole mentality is fucked up. Why preserve prior >art when you can just shit out another disposable AAA title that'll be dead in a month? It disgusts me, but it's present everywhere and games have the worst of it because they need a supporting infrastructure that companies don't give a fuck about.

That whole mentality is what created those games in the first place. Without capitalism, there wouldn't have been any incentive to make games. A commie country would've only produced state-sponsored educational shit.

There has to be a balance, dude. I'll never deny people their right to do business, I'm not proposing that all games should be free, but the culture surrounding intellectual property is so kiked and myopic and stupid that I can't help but despise it.

What about that $400 juicer that needs to be wifi connected and only works with their juicer packets?

Did you call

Capitalism will rule that one out. It's a shitty product that won't sell.

Intellectual property is by definition state intervention. It didn't come out of free market capitalism

The last thing we need is liberals with autism.

Be careful, you might trigger fags who think capitalism is completely foolproof, despite having a metric ton of loopholes being abused by every corporation under the sun.

Okay so what is this argument going to be about once you actually explain it? I assume you're going to try to meme Intellectual Property laws as capitalism considering the context.

I don't think it's an economic problem. The market can adjust the price of games, but the masses are too retarded to care about shitty practices. Or maybe I'm just blackpilled.

Well, some, like Nintendo, have tried, and failed
See; The Game Genie.

Be clearpilled.

Capitalism without free market, where the kikery reigns

It's not that people are retarded (leftists on reddit excluded), it's that they have more important things to do with their time.

You're not gonna give a fuck about DLC and DRM when you're working two jobs to make ends meet. Same issue with people not caring about all the fucked up shit governments get up to. You'd assume that there would be people, as in, journalists, that would be tasked with keeping the masses up to speed on what is going on or giving them expert advice on which products to buy and which ones to avoid, but even those have been subverted by the kikes.

There's another guy who does similar things as Pannen but with Paper Mario 64. He's running out of things on the first game and now is moving to Paper Mario: TTYD. I'm pretty sure Pannen is just going to move to Sunshine.

I honestly through Stryder9x and Pannencoek were the same guy but with two different channels for different games

Autism like radiation has no safe limits. Either one must avoid it entirely or willingly bask in it's warm comforting glow.

but user, everything around you is radioactive except within safety.

Hence why cancer is so prevalent, especially in today's society.

What have glitches got to do with depth?

95% OF SPEED RUNNERS PLAY NINTENDO CONSOLES
KILL FUCKING NINTENDO MANCHILDREN FAGGOTS
YOU ALREADY HAVE TWO FUCKING OTHER THREADS

Kill yourself and go back to reddit, in any order

What else is as exploitable or glitchy?

Jeez, so much edge, ouch.

real estate

If I used redtext would it make it more palatable to your delicate shitposting sensibilities

Barron, plz go

central banking

OY

It's not really depth though is it? More unintentional variability.

Not shit posting, its a fact. Faggot.

"KILL FUCKING NINTENDO MANCHILDREN FAGGOTS" is not a fact, it's a command
I'm just suggesting we start with you

How is your shitty generic open world survival crafting game of the year coming along? Faggot.

Fuck off back to cuckchan

I don't know, Subnautica keeps on trucking, can't say I'm disappointed yet
More importantly you should probably stop derailing video game threads and help to make the board a better place instead

He'll have nothin left to do… but die

he crossed a line with this one.

So they had to hack it to do it? Seems bullshit

See

holy shit

there's a video where he demonstrates gaining speed by wall jumping under the bridge in the castle moat but I don't know which one it is. he ends up being able to jump across the map by flipping out of a tree because poles maintain your speed.

hmm is it this?

the difference between artist and autist is just a letter away

yahuahuauhuahyayahuhuhuyayahuhuyahuyahahahutyhuyuhayhuauhyashuhuayhuayushduyhuhshusayysu

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

Thanks for the youtube comment, user

At your disposal.

Actually if you bothered to read up on the N64 itself it's texture cache was only 4KB in size, and even though the cartridge had more ram then in an N64, the N64's precious ram was faster then the cartridge and the majority of cartridge data was read only. Most stuff loaded into the N64's ram was usually the graphic's routines while the actual data needed such as map data and textures was stored in the cartridge to be called upon when needed. So even though "technically" you had lots of space for code, you didn't actually have as much room for actively used code and variables as you seem to think.

meant for

Autism is not good.

DID SOMEONE SAY A PRESS

Right here

You fags laugh at the half-a-pressin scuttlebug raisin speed buildin qpu aligning autistic son of a gun but he deconstructed game engine and used autistic power to fill the blanks creating riddiculous theory that shouldnt work but does. Deviantart has oc autists who only wallow in their delusions but this dude harnessed the power of autism.

I remember watching this vid for the first time and he's on another fucking level

Honestly most of us are impressed with this level of Autism
Imagine if this sort of Autism was harnessed into getting us FTL travel

Does autismo even know he has a cult following?
Amputee porn unrelated.

You think people cut their limbs off for this stuff? The pay must be amazing.

I think that's why he pretty much exclusively does uncommentatedpannen now. Also, I don't know what I expected.

would you like that?

I want to protect her smile

that's because there's doom source code out there therefore it can be compiled for everything save for rewriting graphic/sound drivers or trying to get it up on devices that can't handle it at all

No

1996 saw a big surge of 3D games, games that were necessarily already in development before Mario 64's release. The PlayStation and Saturn had already been out, and especially the PlayStation already had a growing number of 3D games. Ocarina of Time came out two years later, when 3D was already commonplace and 2D games were having a difficult time selling anymore. But go on, tell me how Crash Bandicoot was inspired by that. I suppose Sonic Adventure and Spyro the Dragon were inspired by Ocarina of Time, too, despite coming out the same year.

Mario 64 was at least from the year 3D got big. Crediting Ocarina of Time with this shit gets on my nerves every time. Just look at the release date.

He's done No Buttons Allowed stars, and No Joystick Allowed stars. It's not impossible. Do you count it as no input when he collects a star in the demo? That's all done with setup, but no input in the level itself.

A lot of those .5 A Presses could actually be combined together into one if done in the right order. In a way, completing the entire game in .5 A Presses might be an even better victory than 0.

You were exactly right about all of that. Rugrats in Paris is shit, and somehow manages to jump the shark again after the show already jumped the shark with the first movie and arguably that was already the second shark jump, after the show came back from haitus with Season 4, which was the first shark jump.

It's Parallel Universe (PU), not Parallel Dimension. It's accurate. The universe is as far as light has reached since the big bang. It's possible there are other universes further than this that have resulted from other big bangs, but the products of those big bangs haven't reached the products of our own big bang, making them parallel universes and not the same universe. Mario 64's PUs are similar enough.

Pic related.
Light doesn't reach out, it reaches in. The observable universe is bounded by the oldest (or furthest, the two are basically the same when you're talking about this shit) light we on Earth can observe. When you account for time and the expansion of space since those light sources existed, you get a bubble of space. An observer at a point one diameter, give or take, away from us would have a different observable universe, but it's still the same universe.

The kind of parallel universe you're talking about has more to do with how far light can ever reach. Given several thousand years, our observable universe and the other observer's observable universe might slightly overlap, but there's other points far enough away that light from our area will never ever reach them, even given infinite time, because of the expansion of space. Those are the real PUs, but they were also created by the same big bang.

This concludes the Dunning-Kruger hour.

The big bang still only happened a certain amount of time ago though, and light (or anything else) can only go so fast, so there is still a limit to how big the big bang has become since it started. Wouldn't that mean that there is essentially a bubble of light that is a closed system and thus might as well be its own universe? But this closed system doesn't have infinite space, so theoretically another similar system could have happened somewhere else and just not crossed over with ours yet.

We of course can't observe everything within our own closed system because we can't catch up to the furthest light, but that's a separate matter. I'm not saying observable universe, just universe.

The big bang didn't create radiation, though. It's better to think of it as an expansion of space, not a literal explosion.

But how could we possibly tell it's an expansion of space and not merely an expansion of the things in space? Light moves faster than anything but there's no reason to think that there is no space beyond the furthest light. And if there's space there then couldn't there be another bubble of things that are also expanding but haven't interacted with any of the things in our expanding bunch of stuff?

Yes you would, you fucking scag.

No I genuinely would not. Hands and feet have sensitive nerves and that plays a part in sex. Ever wonder why people rub their feet together during?

Also polite sage for offtopic.

God damn never watch this shit if you get dizzy. Pretty badass though

I'm still confused how old demo scene projects by a few guys in their spare time are better optimized than current games with modern hardware and millions of dollars in budget.

In case I fucked up the wording, I meant how current games seem to run worse on current hardware than old software did on what was current hardware at the time.
Where does all the money in AAA releases go exactly if it's not being used to actually improve or optimize the game?

As long as it runs in low-res @30 FPS on whatever the current console is, optimization isn't even an afterthought. GRAFIX also get much, much more expensive by the generation.

double dubs

what a fag

Stop the fucking thread

Post more amputee porn.

Dragons are GOAT, you fucking faggot.

This. I literally have it and yet I can socialize fine outside of eye contact and I overanalyze shit I merely think of until it's satisfactory to me.

This guy has shown the potential that lies beyond not being a retarded oc and fanfic shitting sperg with beyond fucked creative visions.

Having a loophole free system doesn't matter if it's just by itself, because then you just have Jews inventing loopholes over the generations and teaching people to do the same.

No, he was a socially awkward pre-furry in denial

Ascend.

Bump

Highlights

that was already in another video you fucking fake

Nigga he posted that video yesterday

If you bothered to look at it, you'd see it was a tech compilation for CCC runs

So… the game would normally crash if he tried this but he hacked the game to get his dumb shit to work?

Locking the camera is an in-game function.

But they sound nothing alike, user.

I don't think he's running out, honestly. He's not covering the mundane inner workings of PM, like blinking and shit, yet. He just asked if people wanted to see TTYD and they did, since people jizz their pants for that game, fuck knows why.

VEY

Wasted opportunity.

Well that's the reaction people have watching the full video anyway.

You couldn't tell he was using hacks when he showed a speed counter? Besides, the camera is stationed where it would be if it could be in the PU anyway.

I think he's referring to Pannen locking the camera into the original universe because the camera moving into a PU crashes the game. PU travel cannot be done without cheating to lock the camera.

So does this finally make Mario N64 more autistic than Minecraft?

There are reasons to play mario that don't involve autism, so no.

Doing impressive shit with a game is different from inane boring mining. Somehow being able to move blocks and build with them is like crack to autists, which is why so many play Minecraft. Only the truly dedicated can play Mario 64, study the engine, and route dumb challenges.

I'm still waiting for it to happen.

I'd pay good money to see this in a fanfic.

Mario is high-functioning autism while Minecraft is low-functioning.

Is this guy Uli or something? Does OCD come packaged with nasally voices?

At least, it all makes sense. Thank you.

y-you too.

Fix everything else about this Jewmericanized global culture and you can have your nice things again.

Here you go.
archiveofourown.org/works/10754010

This is a transcript of a video that was uploaded to YouTube on April 28th, 2017. It was taken down less than ten minutes after it was posted, but not before a script I run to keep track of YouTube channels downloaded it.

—–

I have finally found a way to complete Bowser in the Land of Fire in zero A presses. It uses a new technique, which I call a "demon shift," to move this seesaw platform and create a pedro spot. This trick uses a very special bug. Most other bugs are caused by developer mistakes or by hardware limitations, but this bug is caused by an inconsistency in the axiomatic system underlying most mathematics. Now, this sounds complicated, but don't worry, I'll explain step by step how I found it.

Two years ago I offered a bounty to the first person to reproduce the upwarp glitch in Tick Tock Clock. Nobody has claimed it, but as you can see, I finally managed to reproduce it myself, by exactly copying the movement from the previous half hour of the livestream. After I had a working Mupen recording I could start digging through the game's code step by step, to determine exactly what had happened.

As it turns out, it was caused by an incorrect result of a calculation. When Mario lands at exactly the right position, angle and speed, with several other parameters in the level set up just right, instead of stopping immediately, he gets a short burst of upwards vertical movement that puts him right above the upper platform. The odd thing about this is that it happens not because of a flaw in the way the calculation is designed, or even a bug in the hardware or the emulator, but because of a flaw in mathematics itself. You can repeat the calculations on paper, and you get the same answer, that Mario is supposed to fly upwards.

The exact details of the calculation are a little too complex to go into right now, but I managed to turn it into a formal proof that zero equals one in Zermelo-Fraenkel set theory, also known as ZFC. ZFC is the foundation used for most modern mathematics, so showing it is inconsistent is quite an important achievement. I published a paper about it on arXiv.org. You can find a link in the description.

Now, you may wonder why this wasn't found before. It takes some very specific circumstances, which are very unlikely to happen accidentally. Although this same bug could, in theory, be exploited in almost any other game or sufficiently complex system, the chances of a typical calculation fulfilling the requirements by accident are less than one in ten to the eightieth power, a one with eighty zeroes. The reason it was found in Super Mario 64 is that the game sets up a lot of the requirements by itself. The placement of walls and red coins means that triggering the bug is still unlikely, but not impossibly so. I discovered a much easier way to trigger it, which doesn't require any pixel-perfect maneuvering.

Although red coins can be gathered in any order, they do have an internal numbering that the game keeps track of. By careful inspection of the constants that enabled the upwarp I discovered you can use that order to enter a so-called Red Coin Sequence. A Red Coin Sequence is a series of numbers one through eight. It can be entered by playing levels with red coins, each time grabbing one red coin for the number you want to enter, and then dying and entering the same level or another level to enter the next number. This is a little tedious, but not hard. By entering up to sixteen numbers that way it should be possible to set up the game's memory so that it triggers the bug in a useful way.

Knowing that it is in theory possible to use a Red Coin Sequence is not the same as actually finding one, though. I manipulated my emulator to automatically try many different sequences by directly setting the memory, and stop if it found one that caused unexpected behavior. It eventually found 38592 as a working sequence, but there are probably others.

If you enter this sequence, as I do here, a simple cellular automaton is constructed, which runs until it has generated a larger program. Please note that this overwrites part of the game's data, so it's a good idea to make a backup. After you give it some time to run, a semi-sentient intelligence, which I call an imp, bootstraps itself and tries to communicate. The problem is that the imp doesn't know English. To talk to it you need to develop a common language based on simple signals. In the system we developed the imp communicates by moving goombas around, and I respond by moving Mario. Moving to the left, to the right, forward or backward each stand for a different signal.

With the help of professor Alexander Ollongren from Leiden University I used this to encode a variant of Lincos, a universal language for communication with aliens. The language starts with simple logical properties, and builds up to more advanced mathematics, time measurement, conversation, and finally mass, space and motion, which had to be adjusted for Super Mario 64's physics. Explaining all this took quite a lot of work, but after 70 hours we were able to have a meaningful conversation.

It's important to realize that this imp only exists in the game, and only as long as it keeps running. When we pause the emulator the imp is paused too, and when we shut the emulator down without saving the state, it is destroyed. The imp doesn't want this to happen, so it is an important bargaining tool.

Now, back to Bowser in the Land of Fire. I convinced the imp to move the seesaw platform in return for two weeks of uninterrupted running time. Since it is now the right distance above the floor, tilting it just right creates a pedro spot. For those of you who need a refresher, a pedro spot is a floor with a ceiling slightly above it. Now that we have a pedro spot we can get a Remote Lava Boost, or RLB. The RLB means that we get a second upward boost from hitting the lava even though we are on the floor above the lava, getting us past the pole without an A press, and letting us finish the level.

And, there you have it: Bowser in the Land of Fire done in zero A presses. I hope you enjoyed the experience and learned something new. Thanks for watching.

Fuck you
Im mad this isnt real now

10/10

He would've already found this a long time ago if it was a number that small.

They probably just say "let the latest hardware pick up the slack of our fuck-ups" these days. Though, I think there's a possibility that only so much shitty optimization something can take before the hardware is unable to compensate. But, I doubt it.

There's something off about the way he explains things, but I can't quite put my finger on it.

It's the slightly enthusiastic and deliberate delivery of unbelievably mundane material.
Refined autism.

I actually had experience romhacking long before I ever touched PC development; you learn to make a ton of shit really modular so you can reference it as much as possible rather than making a unique instance of every tile you want, or whatever. Turning the ground 90 degrees to make a wall rather than just drawing in graphics that would achieve the same purpose but take up more space. Those classic design philosophies could certainly be valuable today because so many games load up so much garbage the player isn't looking at, and might never ever look at. Ironically, you can reduce load times by having all your environments load sequentially, like having level 1 and 3's geometry loaded while the player is on level two, and so on.

Megatextures CAN solve some of the issues here, but not without load-in muddiness ala RAGE.

As long as we're talking autism

(checked)

Yeah it's low functioning.

He also wouldn't describe something as tedious, because if you're this autistic clearly you don't give a shitt.

I'm pretty sure you can actually PU travel without crashes if you do it on an emulator, it's just the N64 that crashes. Of course, without the camera shit he does it would be totally invisible because there's technically nothing in PUs besides the level's geometry that's being projected off map limits by convincing the game you're still in-bounds.

This is some digital devil story shit.

Here, capped

Have a couple of archives.
archive.fo/vcMdS#selection-21803.0-21809.0
archive.fo/Qh6sH

Dear God.

It's Paper Mario 1 but HD.

Many love it for nostalgia, but it also had a great atmosphere if you spent hours with it as a kid trying to progress.

Being associated with this face is not worth the Youtube upboats, that's a brave memer right there.

archive.fo/lNBbH
According to (((KnowYourMeme))) it's him, unless someone wants to search for the original comment and verify the account. Also LOL

he looks like Trudeau with downs.

Apparently he just changed the account name slightly at some point, went to the video and it's now the same one commenting as the one Pannen tore a new asshole.

no, he really does meme it up in vids like this

It's important to realize that this imp only exists in the game, and only as long as it keeps running. When we pause the emulator the imp is paused too, and when we shut the emulator down without saving the state, it is destroyed. The imp doesn't want this to happen, so it is an important bargaining tool.

I 'ad a giggle, m8

It's the real deal. Unfortunately archive.is not willing to cooperate and let me archive the comment in question, so all I have is this screenshot and links to his profile.

www.youtube.com/channel/UCtITkZO9iGcCwl7AEMnHy3A/
archive.fo/tYUwm

It's not merely expanding, it's accelerating. The rate at which the distance between us and other galaxies grows is increasing, and the further away it is the faster it recedes and the more it accelerates. That means it's not just the remaining velocity driving things apart. Space itself stretching is the most elegant working explanation for that.

If it's an expanding bubble of things then the bubble would need to have some kind of center, and there's no sign of that. You'd also need some force that's affecting everything in the observable universe to this day (including light) but somehow doesn't affect things in other bubbles.

he'll figure out how to beat it without even inserting the cartridge

Technically speaking, the older models of the N64 had a weird quirk where some data was still stuck in memory for a certain amount of time (30 seconds, I think?) after you removed the cartridge. I forget the specifics, but I remember the idea for Rare's Stop 'n' Swop gimmick in Banjo Kazooie was based on this console quirk, only for later models to fix it, rendering their idea fucking useless. I imagine if pannenkoek2012 is that crazy, he'll try and do some crazy shit in Mario 64 using that.

Hed have to set up memory with arbitrary code execution and then trigger it within 30s of starting over

Knowing him he'll find a way.

That's bullshit, there has never been a shortage of good papers coming out of SIGGRAPH. Compare a realistic looking game to reality.

No, locking the camera is a thing you can do in game. It's not cheating. The trick is that he has to traverse the PUs blind, but it's technically possible.

Will that ever happen? Most of the things he picks apart are emergent, not designed.

TEN FRAMES FASTER

It's like you haven't even seen this video where it takes 52 years to obtain 12 seconds of RNG manipulated stillness in moving level objects. Granted it doesn't work, and as someone in the comments points out - it would be more likely to work just waiting for radiation to physically interact with your cartridge and move you up of its own accord by fucking with a byte. I honestly think this video is more nutty than Watch for Rolling Rocks, despite being less funny.

D-did i say 12 seconds, I meant 12 frames.

I will never shit on anyone that has that much skill in a video game. Autistic or not you cant shit on a person that can do some fucking shit better than spiderman.

how the fuck do you even do this? how do you program a game…within a game….while playing the game?

He doesn't. He triggers a glitch that allows him to run code, he did not program SMB on the spot. This sort of shit isn't impressive anymore.

A Press = Press and Release A button

But that's fucking wrong. Pressing A and Releasing A are two different actions.

Watch the video, """"Henry""""

Source on that quote? Sounds interesting.

He will ascend to a higher dimension, where everyone of every parallel unverse goes when completing Mario 64 without an A press. Then, they have to play Mario Sunshine in a timeless battle of minds, and only the first one to succeed finishing it it without an A press, may come out alive and attain the heroic title: prince of bel-air

You don't understand. A 0x A Press Run is not his final goal, it's merely a fun little way to quantify some of the things he's discovered about the game. Once he does it, he'll just keep going, trying to discover more things about the game.

Cap this post.

I can't tell whether or not it's impossible due to those text boxes you have to sit through, mainly because I haven't fucking played Sunshine in forever but I can tell you if text boxes aren't an issue this seems far, FAR more reasonable due to the hover nozzle.

What the fuck? I didn't know autism like this existed.

It's kind of amazing.

I don't think I'll ever have the level of dedication or passion for anything in my life that this man has for SM64.

He will gain speed for 12 years until he has the momentum to cross PUs and complete the remainder of his life in half an A press.

This is why I feel like Pannen is luckier than a lot of us despite the mockery he gets for some of the shit he posts, he has his thing and he does it extraordinarily well while enjoying the fuck out of it.

Yet his passion for Mario 64 pales in comparison to his passion for mechanical pencils.

You have videos/pics on this stuff? We need a new thread.

forgot archive
archive.fo/8TI5k#selection-2793.0-2795.1