Weapon durability is a pulsating tumor on any game it's in. It's a severe mistake. Why does it continue exist?

Weapon durability is a pulsating tumor on any game it's in. It's a severe mistake. Why does it continue exist?

Other urls found in this thread:

en.uesp.net/wiki/Oblivion:Weapons
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Fucked up every game Level 5 makes as well.

yes, because guns last forever without any repairs and medieval weapons never broke

Dark Souls 1/Demon Souls are the only games with durability I thought were OK. The mechanic to use it as ammo for special weapon attacks was a neat idea. They ruined it in Dark Souls 2 however.

Correct

I respectfully disagree OP

I only dislike it when the durability degrades too fast.

It was outright fucking broken in Dark Souls 2 but in the series it's a great ammo for special moves like this user said:

BotW's durability is closest to that of the early Dead Rising games and has a similar nature in that things break so often and so easily that you have to constantly adapt, manage resources, and diversify your approaches to situations. I rather have this then, "I found this weapon that completely breaks the game. Let me keep using it until I find another one that breaks it more."
New Vegas takes place in a post-apocalyptic wasteland where damn near eveything is jury-rigged? Why would your equipment be any different? It's quite annoying how it's handled in the vanilla game, but I rather have it than not.

Both Botw and New Vegas do a great job with weapon durability, don't be a pleb

Either items degrade slow enough to not really bother you (DaS, Morrowind, New Vegas), in which case it's basically just a pointless resource tax and isn't adding to the gameplay in any meaningful way, or items degrade way too fast (DaS 2, Oblivion, BotW) and it's a complete annoyance and actually detracts from gameplay.

I barely noticed the weapon degrade in fallout except for when I have multiples of the same weapon, then its a great way to recycle all that shit and get some more DPS with it.

Never put weapon durability in an action game.

It's fine in Dark Souls, where weapons degrade super fucking slow and repairs are fairly easy to perform.
The ones in Zelda look horrible though. Why are the weapons made of glass?

You fags never played monster hunter.

git gud

Why don't you start by explaining why you think weapon degradation is a bad mechanic?
The fact that weapon degradation was somehow tied to the framerate was indeed a bad thing, but that game's overall upgrade system was far more comprehensive than DaSI's. In I, you have to find an ember for every single weapon type, and a corresponding blacksmith, in addition to specific materials. That is tedious when compared to II's system; get a single ember, give it to a single guy, and use the same materials to upgrade every weapon type, with the exception of elemental infusions, which only require a single material investment. Point is, II's system is much better after the framerate issues were ironed out, and weapon degradation isn't an issue thanks to the ability to carry a well stocked arsenal of upgraded weapons
Enemies drop a myriad of weapon types like candy, and as long as you have the fully upgraded repair skill, weapon degradation shouldn't be a problem at all. I had more of a problem with carry weight, honestly, because I always carried a stock of weapons and ammo, and made a point of carrying around weapons I could use to repair my primary weapons. You just have to build your character so that you can repair any weapon by its type, so that you have a lot of stamina with which you can carry a lot of items for contingency, and so that you can use garbage to create new weapons and ammo that can be used in a pinch to repair your shit.

So, assuming you've the ability to manage your inventory space, mitigate the amount of time you spend in combat, and carry weapon restorative items, you should be fine.

That was DS1 and it was because they never expected to need the game to run at more than 30, I feel like that's gotta be worth something

it was in ds2 too. It was a problem for the port to pc because they let it go from 30 to 60

It was 2, user. 2 on PC had a glitch that made it so that when you ran the game at higher framerates, the weapons would degrade twice as fast because the weapon degradation was tied to the framerate.

Fucking pajeet tier coding

Well there's no apologies for that

count up how many slabs you get legit in DaS1 you get three now you may get lucky from the three titanite lizards and get one or get a drop from a darkwraith at one point so you may get 4-5 if you're lucky. DaS2 they give you so fucking many it may not even matter plus a covenants can dump them onto you like mad, I had three 10+ weapons within a few hours of play which is ridiculous.
My point is DaS2 pandered to dude bro's as much as DaS3 did, streamlining any sense of achievement making it a cheap, hollowed out earning as exploring nets you nothing, the world was shit and everything looks like plastic to boot. DaS3 did the same fucking shit, streamlined garbage with even more broken mechanics and while it's a step up from DaS2 that says nothing.
In short TL:DR I don't know why the fuck you'd ever protect DaS2 or DaS3. People want their dick held while their hand is held I guess.

Maintaining and caring for your weapon is part of being a warrior. You want easy gratification go play call of duty faggot.

I cant even comprehend this shit.

You could win duels by breaking weapon of enemies.

In Dark Souls 2 you also had many more viable builds, it's only natural that there would be more resources for upgrading weapons in a game that is well designed for build variety.

So that one day you may cease to continue to play any and all video games whilst simultaneously taking your normalfag, plebian tastes with you.

1) Quality
2) Dex
3) Dex+Faith (exclusively using defensive miracles)
Wew check those viable builds.

I wish there was a re-release of Dark Souls 1 that natively ran at 60FPS.

If you're going to shitpost then you might as well not post at all.

Fun game, waiting for the 3rds translation to finish.

Not an argument, fam. I'm a shameless souls autist, but even I'm not going to defend DaS2, especially for "viable builds" of which every single good one was gutted post-release except for the three I listed.

Swords and military arms don't just fall apart or wear out over the timespan of a typical game. Cleaning & oiling guns and light stoning of a sword should be all that would be necessary for the PC, and that is simple enough to be taken for granted like eating or taking a piss.

IIRC *Stalker* had AK's and Makarov's that were constantly falling apart and required unspecified repair work. Ridiculous.

That's the problem isn't it, it's Dark Souls 2 and it's a great meme to say it did nothing right. Except it did something right, it's the most balanced Dark Souls game and being able to use any combination of equipment without big drawbacks is an extremely positive point and fun.

In the case of Zelda:
Smoke em if you got em

In the case of Dark Souls II its a mechanic implemented poorly only done better in dark souls 3 and bloodborne. Never played New Vegas.

I see where you're coming from, but I was making an argument in favor of weapon degradation. The OP brought up DaSII, asserting that it did weapon degradation poorly. I wanted to point out that the framerate bug is the only real issue with the game, but it has been patched, as far as I know. I used the simplicity of II's weapon upgrade system as a point to bolster my main argument. In short, "Because it's so easy to acquire a bunch of weapons that you can upgrade to max in a short amount of time, in addition to the availability of restoratives like repair powder and the repair spell, weapon durability isn't as much of a problem as you claim". I only bring up I's upgrade system as a point of reference, I am not saying that I like II's system over I's or anything like that, just that it's simpler, which reinforces my point.

It'd make for an interesting mechanic if weapons could fail in a variety of ways but I've yet to see any developer make any sort of attempt at a more in-depth durability mechanic other than "it ticks down and then becomes unusable".

Weapon durability is a good mechanic in games it is in as it encourages more resource management.

user that's embarrassing.

In New Vegas the weapon really degrades, the lower the weapon condition the lower the damage. You can repair weapons at NPC or be proficient enough in Repair to repair them at workbenches, and if you have the high Repair perk Jury Rigging you can use up compatible weapons to repair your weapon. It's a relatively well done system, even if simple, since it adds another element to your RPG adventure without being an unreasonable hassle.

Weapon durability is an important part of the economy in New Vegas. You grab together crappy weapons and fix em up and sell them

Not to mention the lower the weapon condition the more chance of a jam or a weapon taking longer to reload.

I forgot about that. There's also a condition threshold that I am not sure you can go past with repairing and only the brand new high quality weapons have that perfect condition state.

you can repair it past that threshold yourself

That bullshit was only in the fallout 3, in new vegas they removed that limitation and added repair kits. It made repairing weapons at a low skill level viable as then all you have to do is just get a shitload of them instead.

The problem with BotW's durability is that it actually discourages you from fighting in a lot of cases. Once you're more than 5 hours into the game, a fight with any type of stal enemy isn't going to return a weapon on par with what you already have have. I often find myself running away from weaker enemies because fighting them is only going to burn resources with no real gains.

In all 3 Souls games, durability is a complete non issue outside of PVP. Asides from a few instances where the game is designed specifically to fuck with you by breaking your gear, you'll always either die or make it to the next bonfire before things start to break. And even in PVP, it only comes up for a select few weapons with gimmicky specials. I can't comment on Bloodborne.

I think New Vegas got it right, more or less. Most weapons degrade at a pretty reasonable rate, and their stats slowly decrease as they wear out. It's something you have to be aware of, but it's not like BotW where weapons break so frequently that it's intrusive to combat. Most items can be repaired easily enough by any build, but there are some extremely powerful rare weapons that can only be repaired with heavy stat investment.

It would be better if they countered it with weapon improvements as well.

Weapons do degrade and need servicing over time however the longer you use them they become "battle hardened" giving bonuses.

But then most games give too many resources to make any struggle maintaining irrelevant.

Yeah, New Vegas did it alright. You can fire most guns many THOUSANDS of times without cleaning them, but that is needlessly cruel to them. Video related, the gas tube in this AR-15 melts under absurd amounts of continuous full-auto fire, but the barrel and chamber are fine. A $5 fix in most cases.

I understand that weapon degradation is an abstraction, like "health" in most video games, but artificially lengthening a game by making your equipment rust into dust after the sun rises twice is bullshit laziness.

A completely pointless mechanic that does nothing other than waste your time is not fun.

BUT ITS
>IMMERSIVE

Morrowind. You could use Disintegrate Armor/Weapon to actually use the mechanic against your enemies. Your Strength determined how much your weapon would get damaged. I'm fairly sure the durability of the weapon also affected how potent it was - less useful at 10% than 100%, useless at 0%.

Armorer is also very easy to use. Carrying hammers isn't a problem: it's cheap even if you have to pay for it.

Yeah, just like failure states!

You can say that about literally anything in every video game. It's all a pointless mechanic that does nothing but waste your time. You could say that about the health bar because you just wanna experience the story without dying all the time.

Why don't games implement hunger, taste and sleep mechanics? It's realistic!

Like health packs, ammo, and combat.

There are actual autists that put that into games like Fallout 3. They're beyond hope and should never get near game design.

It really depends on the particular game and the mood it's aiming for. Sounds like you just wanna play an arcade game and anything more complicated than that is realism trash.

Weapon durability is great in any game where you have a lot of different weapons and you're meant to use them all. In DS2 it's fantastic if you want to use your rapiers, claymores, katanas, spears, etc. and be forced to mix up your playstyle - considering that the weapon will likely break is something you have to incorporate into your strategy.

This is you.

Works fine in STALKER.

Though I'll grant it can be annoying in SoC if you don't tweak ZRP to let you repair guns (armour could always be fixed with the right artefacts).

thank god nioh took that shit out.

The familiarity thing was far better reward for the gameplay rather than weapon durability

What the hell are you doing on Holla Forums?
If I wanted to live my real life I would live my real life, just fuck off to >>>/out/.

Sounds like YOU just want to play a no-skill clickfest brainless grinding and anything more complex than that is unrealistic trash.

Again, it depend entirely on the game, its intended atmosphere, and how well implemented it is. Having to open your menu every few minutes to drink and eat something is annoying, but being hungry and forced to make sub-optimal choices so you can survive a little longer is a nice break from the "go here do this" monotony.

Just go play viva pinata faggots. Real men will be busy playing REAL VIDEO GAMES!

I like games that have real-world recipes for various herbal medicines and salves, especially when the plants are modeled well and you have to identify them accurately, so you're actually learning something that's remotely useful.

It's not a question of 'what', it's a question of 'how much'.

I assume this thread exists because of Breath of the Wild, which has the "too much" problem. A sword should not be destroyed in a single fight.

Shit man you're both acting defensive as fuck for a mere statement 'people like other things than you do'.

Which is your sole pleasurable thing in a video game, if a game doesn't require you to
then it's "unrealistic".

Just go play WoW, or better yet, kill yourself, either way, stop posting.

:joy: :ok_hand:

What are you even trying to say? Do you even play video games?

Durability is fine when there's a strong strategic element like forcing you to use more than one weapon preventing boring min maxing autism. Weapons don't last forever, not even the magic ones and most certainly when they're striking other magic items and dragons with flavour/bestiary/lore text that say its scales are hard as diamond.

I bet the pale faces and their hook nosed masters did this.

Baldurs Gate 1 had non magical weapons break randomly because of the "iron plague"

Go watch a movie if you can't stand doing anything in the game. That way you can have ALL of the action spoon fed to you.

Oh god.

Are you reading the shit you're typing for why durability is horrible? This is textbook [autistic screeching].

unlike you yes

go back to world of warcraft if you can't stand anything that isn't "click here, then click here, repeat until you log out and sleep", that way you can have ALL the realism spoon fed to you

Dead Rising made it work pretty well. You'd end up saving your good stuff for when you really needed it in case of it breaking on you beforehand.

I'd be fine with items deteoriating if it had an actual fun mechanic to it. tight now, it's either
or it boils down to going back to the village to have it fixed for a small pittance after every other fight. Going back and forth between villages is not fun. Having blacksmithing as a skill that makes you open inventory every once in a while and press the "fix" button is also not fun.

Basically, BotW's weapon durability would have been fine if they gave you the option to upgrade your weapons like you can your armor. You can find weapons in the game that have increased durability, attack, crit etc…but the lack of an upgrade system is what let's it down.

I can't name a single game that does this in anyway, shape, or form. And I want too.
But knowing games these days it would be early access survival that will never be finished.

There isn't any user, I believe these posters and
(check the IDs) are simply making stuff up to feel better about themselves.

Which is pretty sad. Since this is an anonymous imageboard, and all.

Want to know how I can tell you are a lazy casual?

Closest I've seen is in ASCII games. I meant to say "I WOULD like games that…"

Want to know how I can tell that you're such a tryhard WoW grindfest MMORPG fuckboi, pretending to be >elitist (you're not)?

Don't knock arcade games man, some of them are pretty tight.

Yeah, except the fact they were designed to nickel and dime you. Funny how things come full circle with F2P games. And those games aren't even fucking fun.

II was the only Dark Souls that did durability right (or at least the one that came closest to that). In the first and the third games the mechanic may as well not even be there; it's an absolute non-issue.

In II you at least have to worry about that shit every now and then.

You mean that wasting time in menus that constantly breaks the flow of gameplay is a good mechanic.

Seriously some of you love defending shit.

Metal Slug was an arcade game and a pretty fun one. It kinda had "durability" for it's weapons in the form of ammo, where every pickup for a decent gun was limited to a few shots until you had to revert back to your revolver, unless you picked a different gun in the meantime.

It made the game quite interesting since accuracy with those guns meant keeping them for longer, but since the drops were random you ended up playing differently depending on what you got.

Really, the only thing missing in BOTW is unarmed combat for when you have no weapons at all.

user, you're being way too fucking stupid here.
Games centered around grinding shit are the ones that can't possibly have durability at all done right. It's always just a gold sink at best that does nothing for the game, it has nothing to do with that user post.

MMORPG games are the ones that require you to grind shit for weeks until you unlock some legendary sword of fuckmurder that the game never takes away from you because it took you weeks to get.
This means weapons here are not different than a simple +56Damage combined with a cosmetic change, but because your progress is tied to them due to threadmill gear, you will need grinding for this.

MMOs feature durability but it doesn't serve the purpose you imagine, it's not about grinding the gold to repair it.
Rather, costs go up depending on the strength of your equipment so you can't really powergame that hard and finish the content as fast as you could do otherwise, forcing you to do some more parts of the game you'd otherwise ignore to get the gold.
It's shit, but it's about limiting how fast a player can level based on how strong he already is, not really enforce grinding.

Meanwhile, weapons that desintegrate with 0 durability means the game ends up giving them to you with no grinding whatsoever. Instead of killing the same enemies for a few weeks, you instead mark a point on your map, go there, beat some tough dudes and retrieve your own fuckmurder sword.

And you'll use it as much as you want without a care in the world because you know you're good enough that you don't really need it to win and the game doesn't require a certain amount of damage to be possible to even beat. And when it finnaly breaks, you'll know where to get it back.

It makes sense in TES because you can become an armorer, buy repair tools, collect broken junks, and sell repaired weapons. It makes the Armorer skill very useful.

It makes a bit of sense in Fallout 3 and NV because they're post apocalyptic games where all the weapons you gather are 200 years old, but Fallout 4 removed this mechanic because selling repaired weapons isn't very profitable anymore and it hindered the gameplay.

It's a shit mechanic in Dark Souls because the gameplay has nothing to justify repairing, you can't buy and sell repaired weapons.

It's an even worse implementation in BoTW, you can't be a merchant and every weapon is literally made of glass.

I think the last two games were inspired by Skyrim without knowing the true purpose of the mechanic, hence the nonsensical mechanic.

Actually, Fire Emblem did it very rightly, but they removed it from the shitty new games.

By that logic reloading weapons breaks the flow of gameplay as well. I mean arena fps fans get pissy about having to reload other fps so it does have some merit.

Skyrim was made for people like you

That only works if you don't need to upgrade your weapons which you NEED to do in DS2. Also yet again the argument for durability is weak. In DS2 when you face bosses like Sinh your weapon can degrade like paper in water compared to attacking other enemies. This is bad fucking game design because not only are you not told this but it discourages you from attacking the boss at the risk of breaking your weapon.

*implementation

No silly reloading is a part of gameplay. The game doesn't stop for you to reload now does it.

No that's bullshit. Having durability mechanic without the ability to repair weapons by yourself is always bullshit.

Viva Pinata is a good game though.

I'd say its at its absolute worse in BOTW due to how quickly things break, the other problem is that once you start getting higher quality stuff there is no point combat as you'd be breaking your valuable weapons for garbage.

Master Sword needing a recharge time can fuck RIGHT OFF, BOTW feels like a huge melting pot of terrible idea, none of them fleshed out well at all.

Freudian slip there, Tarkovsky-user?

I got to rank 3 in brotherhood of blood using a poison dung pie build, and I just wanted cracked red eye orbs to shit on new players. This was back when monastery scim still had instant parry frames though

I'm sorry, do you need a step-by-step tutorial for that?

Actually, the game even tells you that, yes, by slapping a warning that your weapon is about to break right in the middle of the screen. If you don't realize something is up, that's your fault.

- ranged attacks
- repair powder
- repair sorcery
- at least three weapon slots
- a fuckton of different weapons to work with

You have plenty of tools for that. Use them.

It stops you from shooting the gun, slows down the flow of gameplay, in fact there are plenty of people will just top it off as even they just shoot one bullet. The game developers could of just lowered the ammo cap or adjust the rate of fire for the weapon. Worked for doom, blood, and duke nukem. How is this any different than just repairing a weapon, after all if a sword breaks doesn't that just mean it doesn't have any sword ammo left? Is it because you have to go through a menu to do it? The developers could of done the same thing with the ranged weapons as well, if you had to reload go into the menu. Would be repairing be better if you repaired your melee weapon using the reload button?

I'm just being a devils doubles advocate here.

Funny, 50% of skyrim revolves around grinding blacksmithing and enchanting and leatherwork relentlessly.

das2 had the best durability system, it was more like in the old Kings Field games, where you needed to have more than one weapon because it would inevitably break after enough use.

instead of using the same one cheap weapon the entire game you had to spice up your arsenal. particularly i used great clubs (DGH was my favorite because of how early you can get it) and black knight sword, also bows

Ja, meant to say TES.

It can be a useful mechanic, but not every game needs it.
In games with a leaning towards survival it's there because it adds another layer that you have to manage and keep an eye on, which depending on how it's handled, can add immersion to the game and its setting. Most immediately think of shitty early access survival games, but those games are shit because the developers don't know how to make good games, not because of the mechanics themselves.

In a game with a large focus on dungeoneering and fighting monsters, being on your own and away from towns most of the time. Having to spend resources to keep your weapon in good condition to keep doing full damage to your enemy can add difficulty to the game.
I think being able to repair your weapons yourself during preparation or after a battle, with a repair box for example, would be better instead of having to rely on a blacksmith in a fixed place, but it depends on the setting.
I think it's also important to have a fine balance between decay rate and just picking up a weapon from a fallen enemy without being completely inadequate.
I can't think of a proper example of a game that does the above mentioned right. If anyone can think of one I'd like to hear it.

In the end it largely comes down to how the devs handle it.

Did cuckchan have another happening or something? Shit niggers.

You mean Shadow Tower. That game was shit and weapon durability wasn't implemented well. The inherent problem with KF and Shadow Tower is the horrible controls and hit detection mechanic though.

None of which has anything to do with weapon degradation

you are shit kiddo

Like some anons pointed out, it's good for micromanagment and in certain rpg's it's a good addition. If the game doesn't focus on lore and having instances of not just fighting things, it's not bad having that.

And you gameplay autists need to stop. You're the reason FO4 exists and that game is just shameful story-wise.

If the game focuses onore I meant.

The only franchise it ever worked in was Fire Emblem otherwise it's fucking cancer

Excuse me?

No, it's shit. I love the concept, but neither game executed it well.

No, it would be Morrowind.

It's bad design because there's no conveyance, you only know about it when you're already half way through the battle. That's not the same as needing a tutorial.

The threat of reloading is a great mind game when faced against CPU or human players, this is why it's different than pausing your game to switch out your weapon every few minutes because you're vulnerable in gameplay. Also just to be clear I don't argue that this mechanic is better than none at all.

Let it Die

New Vegas does, that's why I like it.

I was just being a devils advocate that's all, the issue seems to me more about the menu pausing the gameplay more than anything else. Making gameplay still active while in the menu however brings another whole slew of issue as well though.

i don't hate durability on principle, it just depends on the rate and how/if you can repair them

what are those spooky red babys

Nothing about his complaints had to do with difficulty.

Kodamas

nigga daiz adorable n sheit.

This is the great thing with Nioh because it really does prove the point that nothing was lost when durability was removed and also allows you to focus on the gameplay more.

Kodama's.

I wonder if they opted to put in the weapon re-roll/skill stuff upon removing the durability aspect.

what? but kodamas are green

Yes but they're in a hot spring so they turn red cause of the water.

I didn't think I'd like it either, and sometimes it sucks to lose a weapon you really like, but it really changes up the way combat plays out in a Zelda game.

Instead of stat seeking, you become a sort of weapons forager, it prizes resourcefulness.

the hot spring ones are red because they're gettin toasty

Isn't this the forbidden love game for DS?

No they didn't.

To illustrate what a shit no fun mechanic it is, try applying it to other action games.
What if Mario could only jump 35 times before needing a "repair" or he dies?
What if your race car could only brake or turn left 25 times before those features were rendered unusable?
It's fine for sims but leave it there.

BotW literally just needs better durability, upgrades and most importantly, repairs.

Weapon durability essentially just means that melee weapons have a form of ammunition to them.

If you argue that it cannot work as a gameplay mechanic, you might as well argue that all guns in a game should also run on infinite ammo.

That's not to say you can't have a game with both finite ammo and no weapon durability. But if you're goal is to make a game where the player could be rendered defenceless if they don't manage their resources well then it doesn't make sense to draw the line at melee weapons breaking if you were already fine with guns running out of ammo.

You win.

For melee weapons to act like guns you would need to.

1. Sharpen weapons that act like reloading.
2. Have wet stones drop at the same rate as ammo.

It was fucking shit strying to fool me I returned it and got Samurai Rage, best sword game on PSX.

Weapon Durability's fucking retarded if there's no method of repair. The only reason weapon durability worked in New Vegas is you could repair almost all of your guns and you never lose them if the durability reaches zero. It's just unusable until you repair it.

Imagine if you got say, a cool sniper rifle and after putting enough rounds weapon degrades pretty slowly in new vegas through the gun, it disappears, would you ever use that sniper rifle unless it's for a boss fight? Same applies to any weapon. Be it a high-damage sword or a well-forged war mace.

If your weapon degradation system turns weapons into consumables, it's shit.

There are racing games with durability mechanics. They can make risking a crash more dangerous by adding a long-term penalty for impacts. They can also incentivise pit stops in long races, as your tires and other parts wear down. And of course, any racing game with a career/simulation/garage aspect to them will have your cars wear down over the course of multiple races.

Rogue Galaxy didn't have it, doofus.
And it was only really a problem in DC1 because you lost the weapon. In 2 it was only unusable until you repaired it, and it lost a bit of Max WHP.

You got me, pal.

But racing sims and simcades do have tire/brake wear that you must pitstop in order to fix…?

But racing games do that, though. Also you are overexaggerating.

Idk it can be ok depending on the game, in Ultima VII they had glass swords that you had to use sparingly. They kicked dragon asses but you didn't want to waste them on other things. I think if the game has a "Survival" atmosphere it's ok.

Inaccurate. Instead do the opposite. What if Mario let you start with the the Fire Flower and have unlimited use of it? Or if you were always giant sized? That's the sort of situation you're looking at.

Take Morrowind. You have unarmed combat and unarmored as skills. You have your weapons that have durability. You have your spells cast from magicka. You have your magic items with their charge. When your magic items run dry, you fall back to spells. When spells run dry, you resort to melee. But even when weapons and armor fail, you have your final fallback. Essentially - you're behind seven proxies, and durability is the last one.

I don't get it. Upgrade ALL your weapons. Titanite shards become buyable as you need them for this reason; so you can upgrade lots of things.
Also what said about repair powder and other options.

I know what you mean by conveyance, but are you aware of the durability bar underneath your weapons on the HUD?

Yeah, I can't code in BASIC from memory anymore because I haven't done it in twenty years, and I only dimly recall some of the advanced math I used to use. Skills can degrade if you do nothing with them for extended periods. Not saying this applies in video games, though.

You do have unlimited uses of the fire flower. You lose powerups in Mario when you get hit, not when you use them too much.

in 2 you need to grind for smooth and silky stones so you can carry 3 or 4 whips, then grind to upgrade the whips
in 1 durability didnt matter except for special attack weapons but you got a decent amount of use out of them anyway and it gives the otherwise underwhelming golem axe a niche since its so durable. also it didnt end up mattering in the long run but there was actually more things that interacted with durability in ds1 like crystal weapons and the dragons tooth never breaking (literally never)
also of note that I just found out using the chaos rapier for the first time the other day is that parrying with it will FUCKING BREAK IT INSTANTLY which is retarded since the whole niche of the weapon is the right handed parry for powerstancing

I wouldnt mind this argument if there was no upgrade system, or if the things that actually made the weapons different from each other didnt cost even more durability

Weapon durability is so fucking useless I never liked it, mostly because it keeps doing that shit where your weapon breaks after an hour of use.
In Morrowind and Oblivion your weapon did less damage as it became more broken, so if you wanted to actually do good damage you needed to carry fucking hammers with you. Why the fuck can my legendary artefact sword break? Even better, any fucking mage can break my Goldbrand with a single spell. Weapons weigh a fuckton in that game, so I don't exactly can carry a lot of them.

In The Witcher 3 it's completely fucking useless. It's expensive as fuck to fix as well, bu i being b roken only lowers your damage by about 4, so you'll probably just ignore it.

Dark Souls introduced weapon durability as a downside to some weapons katanas, but fixing them was a matter of buying a kit and doing it at every bonfire. Still, they understood their mistake and in 3 the weapon regenerates by itself when you rest at a bonfire.

Far Cry 2 had it the worst, with almost all enemy weapons being good for a couple of shots.

I can't think of any game where weaon durability was well done and not just "click that button once ina while to not have your damage output gimped".

The first Swordcraft Story had a pretty good one.

Sadly the second and third went with a more traditional one that's just a bore.

I like durability and managing stamina and hunger and weather and weight loads and shit. I guess I really like the management aspects that provide restrictions on your adventures and create more tension, instead of just letting you carry a ridiculous amount of items and shit with you everywhere. I guess that carries over from my love of rogue-likes and shit.
BOTW though, the weapon breaking is over the fucking top. Let the weapons degrade, sure, but don't have them completely fucking shatter. Give us weapons that don't break, but begin to do less damage until they're repaired, and give us a smith that will repair them, and a weapons store that will sell weapons you actually want.

IIRC it counted the frames that the weapon was in contact with something that damaged it, and since the number of frames was double, the weapon degradation was double. Fucking unforgiveable. Why do nips always code and tie their engines to fucking framerates? Are they so incompetent?

This game was fucking ace. Though that was back when I thought meme references were funny, so I'm not sure I could handle playing through it again. I'd love a sequel though.

I always carry a couple of trashy wooden weapons for stals and thunderstorms. Stal dragonbone weapons are pretty decent all round.

Incidentally, completely by accident I found out that if you throw a rusty weapon in to a rock-octorok's mouth on Death Mountain it will suck the rust off and spit out a quality weapon. Good in a pinch.

Wouldn't be surprised to see this in the DLC to be honest. The complete lack of crafting, especially for arrows, is baffling. Not being able to complete a shrine because you ran out of arrows and all the shops are sold out fucking sucks. At least have a weakish magical arrow that takes time to recharge, like the other slate powers, so you're not SOOL in such a situation.

what a surprise

Look nigger, the fact that you're willing to shoot every game in the face because you want to defend something shitty that isn't fun in general only tells me that you hate games.

eh? It's not a failure state since all it ends up being is an annoyance instead of a punishment.

This isn't even a fucking Bethesda thread and you fucks are still shilling.

It was very nice in F:NV. Especially when you got perk to use similar weapons to fix one another.
It was also fine in DaS1. In DaS2 it was useless mechanic fucked up by you playing game in 60fps. I still broke washing pole maybe twice.

Really only way to fuck up durability is to make weapon break way too often and fixing it pain in the ass.

Like F3 did. Guns broke often. You needed same weapon to use your skill so you couldn't repair Gauss Cannon. Shops only repaired your weapon up to 50%, under 50% guns started to jam.

I must say I actually love how Skyrim is.
Bethesda fixed stuff they failed at by removing it. Meanwhile a lot of stuff is still unfixed and game is just becoming more bland.

Because its a top tier mechanic that adds more depth to otherwise shallow gear management?
Corroding other people's gear is the best shit ever in Demons Souls

Well, if you only ever play PVP…

Because it's not like anyone goes to the store to sell drops and just buys a couple of repair kits while they're there, no, that never happens in an rpg…

Have you even fucking watched gameplay of the game for more than five minutes, you gibbering goddamn retard?
Every single aspect of Fallout 4, including gameplay, is so fucking bad that I seriously think someone at bethesda double dog dared Todd that he couldn't half-ass an entire game on purpose, as a joke- and the madman actually did it

Well, it would have to be a more complicated feature than just giving your weapon a health bar, meaning devs would have to give that miniscule part of the game an inordinate amount of attention, which is why it's so shit in every game that has it
If you were going to do durability "right", in my opinion, it would mostly have to be a punishment for being shit at the game instead of a natural time limit on every weapon
Though it also wouldn't hurt to make repairing/blacksmithing actually fun instead of a menu-based chore
Broken weapons also should factor into the game somehow instead of just disappearing from your hand into your inventory

You just have shit taste, plain and simple.

Well that didn't take long.

It does when just about everything you collect is sellable and tradable.

This game was cancer because enemies in the game throughout had skills that ensured a piece of equipment would break, lost my shit over it because it would always happen as I spent all my money on something.

Maintaining weapons in Betrayal at Krondor from 24 years ago was fun.

CLIPS

What if
Could be comfy as fuck

Durability isn't that bad tbh. The only time I hated it was because of the 60fps bug in DkS2 that made your weapon useless. Its a perfectly fine mechanic in RPGs. Not so great if their is no reliable way to fix your weapon. One of the problems of Dork Sowells 2 was forgetting that it was in essence an RPG. I fell in love with Demon's Souls back in the day because it honestly was the first game to actually recapture what I used to love about Dungeons and Dragons (minus the dice rolls). A good DM who was a bit of a dick with the traps but fair enough to layout the puzzles in a logical manner was half the fun of good dungeon crawling.

Fallout New Vegas is irredeemable garbage and I don't own or plan on owning a Wii U or Switch.

I am glad they removed durability form Nioh. When I played the alpha demo I ended up breaking my best weapon just messing around on the first few encounters because I was re-spawning the enemies just to get accustomed to the controls and experiment with the combat. Once I had nothing but shitty weapons I couldn't reliability progress and there was no way to fix weapons at the shrine. I guess I wouldn't have minded durability if you could spend amrita to repair weapons but without an easy way to fix broken gear durability becomes an unfun liability.

why are you posting that godless liberal sodomite in a VIDEO GAMES thread?

I kinda like how BOTW handled it. It's set up so that you never hold a weapon for too long and you constantly have to use new tactics and be resourceful. When an ancient level EX++ Axe and Shield combo starts to get low on durability after a hard battle then you'll start to learn how to play the game. To make wildlife attack the enemy, knock down trees and weak surroundings to block their path and trap them, use bombs effectively(infinite supply) or even use the last of the durability on your shield to shield-surf+para-glide down a mountain just to escape.

I would be perfectly fine with this all if you didn't need to repair the Master Sword and the Hylian Shield. The master sword repairs itself but you need to do a side-quest to replace the shield

Since there's grass it's not CEMU, so this must be the pwoer of the Wii U.

Nah, the Wii U version runs better than the switch version its the software I used to make the webm that's the problem.

I'm playing through it now and the urge to eBay this shitheap is high. I thought people were joking about weapons breaking every 30 seconds but that's just how it is. It's incredibly annoying, kinda like constant nagging dragging you out of the action. I see no point to exploring out of 'order' as all my weapons will break before I outskill a hard enemy, and even if I killed one, I can't just go back to low level areas with my new gear as it will all be destroyed and replaced by garbage within a few minutes. Shit's not fun.

Ammo is cancer too. You know this to be true. TF2 got it wrong. Overwatch got it right.

I still don't understand the weapon durability complaint.

Like, are these idiots running around using all of their weapons on shitty enemies and breaking them? Because that's just you being retarded, why the fuck would you use a royal sword on a bunch of stupid red bokos? At least I can understand silver enemies, but even then weapons shouldn't run out that fast, specially because silver enemies usually have pretty good gear so even if they break you have now better weapons.

Seriously, I spent most of my seeds expending the weapon and bow slots because I kept finding good gear that I couldn't keep because I was full of amazing weapons.

I haven't played OW yet, what does it do differently from TF2 that apparently makes TF2's ammo system worse?

The problem is that it makes finding weapons an incredibly mundane and trivial experience. Oh boy, I found a weapon that will break after one fight (if that). Hell, some of the stronger enemies will require you to burn through SEVERAL weapons just to kill them.
Even the master sword becomes incredibly lackluster when you quickly realize that it's suffering from the exact same thing.

It doesn't run that poorly on the Wii U. It's still bad, but the performance never looks like that.

This literally never happens user, good weapons will definitively last over 1 fight

Just prepare with attack buff potions, use the environment, experiment and find enemy weaknesses weather that's elemental or physical, use your damn brain jesus fuck.

So then you go back to low-level encounters still being fun and not just garbage you blow through? What's the problem here? Oh, when you go back to fight harder enemies you need to be resourceful again?

This is the only Open World game I've ever played that didn't completely trivialize lower-level areas without bullshit enemy lvl scaling.

Confirmed for having never fought a Lynel

In Overwatch, there is reloading, but from an infinite ammo pool. Every time you reload it takes the same amount of time.

In TF2, you must pick up ammo if you run out. This is stupid to have in a shooter game. Like weapon degrading, it is an anti-pattern of fun.

Wrong. I fough all the Lynels already, they are not only not that hard but extremely worth to burn weapons for, they drop top tier swords, broadswords, shields, bows and arrows to boot.

Git gud, you have bows, runes, weapons, potions, elixirs, flurry rush and parrying. If you smack every enemy you see 200 times until they die of course you are going to burn through weapons.

How old are you? Weapons should require ammo, don't be retarded.

Which is what I'm referring to. You get hit there, your power up is lost. You get hit in an RPG, your armor gets damaged; get hit enough, you can't use it.

Your entire top comment reeks of being a fucking casual. Oh, you can't carry a lot of weapons? Raise your fucking Strength, or fortify it if need be. Use a Feather spell. Actually return to town every once in a while instead of being a dumbass - adventuring is meant to be done in expeditions and sometimes return trips, not a continuous trail of bullshit. And why can your artifact break? Because shit isn't indestructible in the setting. Artifacts get destroyed all the time in TES. What makes them special is that they will, inevitably, pop back up in the world again some day. On the reverse side to the mage comment - you can do the same shit. Throw a disintegrate armor enchantment on your sword and cleave through armored foes. Bust weapons. Use the mechanics to your advantage

Is it really that fucking difficult to do PCIs before you go into combat situations? I mean holy shit, Oblivion makes your hammer unbreakable at a high enough level and even lets you buff your gear.

You fuckers are what caused the casualization of video games. Fuck off back to Reddit.

Whatever you say, user. They're not even paying you to present such an unrealistic depiction of the gameplay in BotW, so I'm not sure why you're doing it.

Yes, in real life your guns explode after unloading a few mags.

For the love of Christ, user, git gud.

I don't understand. We're not discussing the game's difficulty, and I have absolutely no skill-related problems in playing it.
The durability of weapons is a fixed value. That value is low. Playing the game differently will not change it.

I literally just told you that I have my inventory full of amazing weapons. You are either shit at managing or shit at the game for burning them so quickly.

I saw a bolt on the left. what game is that?

Yeah, even at top strength you can barely fit your daedric armour pieces, ebony mail and two swords in there. And I'm always under feather. If you're asking me to break the game with alchemy go fuck yourself, what is even the point of playing then.
I walk into a cavern. A mage summons an undead. He damages my strength to zero, and I am unable to move even if I drop everything. Even if I use my potions there is another one to the next corner. I made a point of traveling light.

And that's retarded as well. Oh, I broke Fyr's armor, so now he dropped it right in front of me to take and fix. Of course, that doesn't count as an attack.

That's not fucking fun at all, especially considering that at Morrowind's speed you need to run twenty minutes to return to some of the dungeons.

The problem is that behind every fucking corner there could be a fucking mage that obliterates your weapon, forcing you to either make a 20 minute trip back and forth or raise your armorer by putting a fuckton of money into it. And that's fucking tedious.
Not to say that it happened to me often, but when I realised by the end of Clockwork City that my Trueflame is at about 20% durability now despite fixing it before going in, and that I now have to fight Alma with a severe disadvantage the system didn't seem so well planned to me.

Never understood this. How is removing shit elements casualisation? Do you miss the tank controls because they made games more challenging? Do you miss Daggerfall's bullshit?

TES is shit, but being this casual. You don't deserve those repeating digests. Pretending to be this retarded is strictly verboten. (you) should be ashamed.

When I first played Morrowind as a fucking twelve year old, I always had on me a suit of armor, at least three weapons, a couple of potions. I kept a small suite of magic rings, because they didn't weight shit - ones that did area of effect damage, ones that bound equipment, ones that healed, ones that removed attribute damage, pretty much whatever the fuck I want. Boots of Blinding Speed aren't a fucking meme, and if you have any degree of magic resistance, you can see perfectly fine with the things on. Throw on those fuckers and a 1pt Levitate and congratulations, you can cross the game map like Sonic.

And as for moving around - spells exist for a reason. Mark. Recall. Intervention. Using the travel system to move around. If you want high efficiency, set all of your loot from a dungeon in a pile, grab that shit, and Almsivi Intervention yourself to the temple. It's a low level spell. Make yourself a little trash pile, its not like NPCs pick that shit up.

And what's that? You were at a handicap against the final boss? Well here's a hint buddy - that's the fucking point. Your ass got teleported to death city so you could die. You didn't die, so here comes the she-bitch to do it herself. There's some dumbass logic that modern video games have produced that you're supposed to prep yourself up to max before the final boss, but that's not how RPGs work. You have your resources, and you use them to get to the final destination. How well you prepared determines if you make it to the end. It's a matter of attrition. But rules like regenerating health and indestructible items have gotten rid of that for faggots like you.

Yeah, I miss Daggerfall's bullshit. It was actually fun - unlike shit like Skyrim that are glorified walking simulators with no actual challenge to them.

Weapon durability really isn't a huge deal in BotW tbh

It runs pretty poorly through loadiine :^)

Is that why you can go kill a bunch of ash vampires to make the final fight with Dagoth Ur insultingly easy?

Have you never pressed T and then clicked on "until healed"? Works like a charm.

All that weapon durability adds is make you carry loads of trash that is otherwise useless or hop back and forth over parts of the game. I know it all about recall, I put a mark near the fucking caldera scamp and just sold him shit. Still doesn't make it good, especially if you are not playing as a mage. Mazed Band makes it easier, but you get it really late in the game.

That does not work during a fight, though. It's kinda stupid in every single Elder Scrolls game that implemented that since it's free healing, it should consume some form of supplies to work and have a chance to summon enemies around you depending on time and place, shortening your rest.

What that guy meant was the retarded passive regeneration that you get in most modern games that allows you to win fights as long as you run around like a bitch every time your health dips too low, since your enemy's health does not (usually) regenerate.
This comes from the current idea that games must be made "beatable" so the player can finish it, that a "game over" is a design failure the dev made. Instead of making games that give you plenty of chances to prepare properly, giving you lore and knowledge about what you can face, placing powerful items behind tough challenges and whispering their location to you, most devs prefer to give the player all the tools to have a really easy game for 60% of the time and when a real challenge comes, it's considered great game design to trick the player into feeling threatened by a situation he can't even lose, not unlike a thin bridge with invisible walls on the side.

The idea is that the outcome of a fight in any RPG should be entirely decided by how prepared you are for it. Not by how well you can mash buttons or how fast the player, not the character, actually is.
If the player matters more for the success of the fight than the character he's playing with, you have an action game, not an RPG.
That's the skill tested in RPGs, how well you can prepare your character. Pick the right skills and feats, raise the right attributes, use your race\class properties, get good equipment, get items\gear that counters what you'll find ahead, etc.

A good example is actually the first Witcher game, that has a lot of problems but still does a fine job of doing this.
The first time you visit the swamp and find the Wyverns, you won't even have your silver sword or know anything about them. Try as much as you want, you will get your ass kicked.
Come a while later, silver sword in hand, with the right oil coating it, some potions down your throat and knowledge about them and they go down very easily. It was the one thing that Witcher always did better than most other games: placing the focus on preparing for a fight.

All that encumbrance does is force you to drop things behind that you need to find later, or hop back and forth over parts of the game to sell what you have in surplus.
All that HP does is force you to reload when someone beats you or hop back and forth finding enough HP potions to stay alive.
All that Mana does is force you to use weaker spells or conserve it or hop back and forth finding enough MP potions to spam spells.
All that XP dies is force you to grind enemies so you can be strong enough to finish the game or hop back and forth between lower level areas to grind it easily.
Etc, etc…

Weapon durability, when done badly, it's a tax rate imposed on your character based on their gear, so their stats have to be accordingly and so he has to move to tougher areas instead of farming the easy ones that don't cover maintenance. That's MMO durability, that's why it exists. It's shit, but then again that's MMO's for you.

Weapon durability, when done right (and this also takes being present in the right genre) is a mechanic that gives depth to preparation and creates attrition on your exploration, forcing some downtime on you.
It may consume supplies based on what you have and what you spend to help balance the game and reward exploration with supplies to repair it with. And it might force you to adapt, creating tense situations that put you out of your comfort zone, which seems to be everyone's pet peeve with durability, predictably.

Fallout 3 and New Vegas use durability to balance their weapons. You can get really good shit easily, but not be irrevocably OP since you're not gonna find enough of that weapon to keep it repaired and NPC have limited skills, not to mention huge costs. You can also have enemies drop a lot of useful and good weapons without messing much with the balance of the game as long as they drop broken weapons. (This makes Repair a very useful skill).

Dark Souls had weapons that did more damage but lasted shorter amounts of time, meaning they acted as your Estus Flasks but for attack instead of healing and the more engagements you used them in, the shorter your trip would be, forcing you to use something else, find another route or evade.

Breath of the Wild does something similar, where some weapons do more damage but last for shorter amounts of time or last longer but do less damage. In the end, instead of using a single best weapon against everything you find, you'll keep the really good ones for really tough fights and you'll use the trashy ones against trash mobs since you can even throw them in their face.
It helps making fights more interesting since you still use weak weapons despite having legendary ones pocketed and you get to throw them when they break or steal weapons from your foes.

You get a silver sword in the very beginning of second chapter, and you can only meet wyverns afterwards.
Also Aard+finishing move, easy. Or just fuck them up with Igni.

Putting words in my mouth there, mate. It's about how good your character, not you, are. The player's skill comes in how well they can prepare his character and if anyone played tabletop RPGs they'd understand this concept very, very well.

If the game allows for cheese, that's the game's fault for being unbalanced as fuck and that's why single player games still require balance.
But if you want to defend "player skill", that's a form of cheese on it's own, like a player getting a fuckton of arrows or magick in any TES game and defeating anyone at all by staying on top of a ledge and shooting down. Even better, hopping between a waist-high wall back and forth, forcing the NPCs to go around it while you pepper them with arrows and spells.

How the fuck is that a good thing? How is being unable to use a cool gun because it breaks down with no chance to repair it good? It's essentially locking the fun away and telling you to grind to get to the fun part.
Imagine if, for example, a game like dungeon keeper forced you to not dig nd build things because your minions would get tired fast, and you wuld have to choose stamina elixirs to get back to the fun part. Wouldn't that be awful?

I have little bad things to say about Dark Souls durability system, but they eventually made the weapons jump back to full durability at bonfires, still retaining the balance but skipping the tedium. BoTW also has the Master Sword, that regenerates in 12 minutes even if broken.

REEEEEE STOP CUTTING FEATURES
REEEEEE STOP ADDING FEATURES

It' like trying to please a spoiled child.

Because some game designers are retards. And there are actually retarded dweebs here who agree with such a shitty grinding mechanic.

dark souls 2 has weapon durability as a carry over from ds1 which had it to encourage the player to visit the blacksmith more often, a subtle way of getting them to upgrade their shit. The whole point was to make the player pay attention to their stats, if you play the game you'll notice the weapons durability more or less falls in line with your progression through the more difficult areas. It also makes is so you can't just run through the whole game with a powerful crystal weapons.

breath of the wild has weapon durability since being able to use the same big ass ax the whole game would cheapen the variety of weapons and discourage experimentation. The whole point is to make the player try out different equipment, it's a gameplay mechanic that forces the player to think on their toes or plan ahead for more serious confrontations.

new vegas has weapon durability so they can include a large variety of weapons at the start while still maintaining balance. It's also to make the weapon jam mechanic less of a random event, it makes the player take their gear seriously since having your shit jam can screw you over in a pinch. It also ties into the thematic setting of survival and scavenging in a post apocalypse.

You don't say. Funny example you chose there since Skeletons in Dungeon Keeper kept the level of the creature that died in the jail but they died permanently, so you had to take extra care to keep them alive, even when practicing in the arena. And this isn't to mention the maintenance surrounding multiple species inside your dungeon (imagine if you didn't had to feed Bile Demons to have them work, what an unfunny mechanic!) or the entire maintenance to keep Horny from slapping your shit.

I forgot this example, but I liked Far Cry 2 for it's durability system. You picked 2 weapons you could spawn from your safehouse and take with you that lasted for a very long time, especially with their manuals. A simple trip to a safehouse would be enough to restore their condition (switch with a new one) and you could find extra ammo around to keep firing them.
However, if you needed to adapt to a new situation, like trading your sniper for a shotgun or dropping your main weapon because you can't find ammo for it, you had to use temporary weapons dropped by enemies that were rusty.

This meant you could always adapt at a cost, ammo conservation was very important if you wanted to keep firing that great gun but you weren't locked to a weapon preset that took an entire trip to a safehouse to change.

Fucking normalfags, I swear…

This. Playing older Zelda games and going about the whole game using the very same weapon and skill set is boring as fuck. Those games always relied on gimmicks to break the monotony with some enemies needing items or special equipment to take down, however the great majority was just sword-swinging. Even Twilight Princess had to incorporate Techniques so there was some variety to combat, and even then it was still very, very basic.

At least with BOTW, different weapons behave in different ways, like spears attacking in a long cone and swords on a wide arc, two-handed weapons removing your shield but having a large area, AoE slams and damage, boomerangs as actual weapons, throw able spears (and everything else), the ability to strip shields from mobs, etc.

What the fuck are you guys talking about? In Dark Souls II and III resting at a bonfire restores your durability to full. The point was to make players rest at a bonfire to get their fucking Estus back so that they could design areas around the idea of how much Estus the player should be carrying at any given time.

The only reason you'd ever NOT use the bonfire in Dark Souls II is if you are trying to unlock the weapon concealment rings. Which are not required to conceal your weapons, you still have the spells to hide your weapons, but if you wanted to hide your weapons you needed a ring for the right hand and a ring for the left hand. And the only advantage of the rings is that it allows you to fuck with people in PvP, it provides no other gameplay benefit.

The idea FromSoft had was: You get to new bonfire, you rest at said bonfire. Now they know how much estus you have until the next bonfire.

Of course, if you miss the bonfire because it's a bit obscured and you don't know it's there, it kind of defeats the purpose. But it's why Dark 2 and Dark 3 have such aggressive ambush encounters like in Demon's Souls, compared to the more slowpaced encounters of Dark Souls.

RPGs are like a 30+ hour 80s movie montage where you get your ass kicked by a dragon and then come back later after a shit ton of pushups and kick its ass.

I have 0 issue with this.

I get the feeling everyone who had this problem was either running around with Novice armor skills (for double durability damage) or was using some garbage low-tier light armor that had next to no durability.

So I figured you were talking bullshit and decided to check on it.

Daedric Armor weights 354 for a complete set. This means that you need a minimum of 71 Strength to carry it around.
The biggest weapon you can get, the Daedric Warhammer, is 96. All together, it's 450 weight, meaning you only have 50 for equipment left and you need a minimum of 90 Strength to carry it around.

But let's consider what's exactly being said here. This is the absolute best armor in the game and the absolute best weapon that come with a very large healthpool making repairs very, very infrequent compared to most other gear. You could bring something one-handed instead and possibly be able to bring 2 weapons as well, if that's still a concern.
That's the point, though. The disadvantage of Daedra Armor is it's weight, it's not meant to be a direct upgrade. Ebony Armor right below it is only 236, trading only 20 armor rating (that you can get from other sources) for a lot of free weight you can use for something else.

You can break a weapon from 125% to 0% fighting TWO normal mook enemies in shivering isles once the level scaling gets out of control and it takes 40+ slashes to down something.

I like it, it's like ammo for your melee weapons and makes you put extra consideration into which weapon you want to use (like you might have a really good weapon but you don't want to use it for any random mook since you might want to save it for a harder enemy).

But it also forces you to use a variety of weapons, like in Dark Souls (which you have little to complain about) how you should bring multiple weapons rather than just picking the one weapon you're most comfortable with.

It's the equivalent of the mechanic in DMC's style system where you don't gain style if you repeat attacks, you are forced to use a variety of them which adds to the depth of the game.

But you can't just kill some mooks and pick up some sword magazines to replenish your stock

I dont remember weapon durability in Professor layton.

I really don't like apreciate it when people talk about shit they have no excuse not to find information on before opening their mouth.
en.uesp.net/wiki/Oblivion:Weapons

Weapons lose 6% * base damage everytime they strike. A simple "Fine Iron Longsword" can be used 233 times before it needs to be repaired. But that's not what you're gonna be using when you reach the Shivering Isles, so let's go for an "Ebony Longsword" instead that can be used 433 times before it needs to be repaired. That's about 10 of those mooks you're talking about.

Breath of the Wild has enemies dropping plenty of weapons. Those that drop shit weapons can be defeated with shit weapons and those that take better weapons to kill drop better weapons in return. It's pretty nifty.

Also, Fallout 3\NV has enemies dropping their weapon that you can switch to or recycle into your own. Going through Super Mutant territory, you can come out on the other end with a fully repaired Hunting Rifle or Super Sledge Hammer.

Nah kid, kill yourself.

I hope you never design games because you seem lazy.

You sure showed him and his dang ol facts.

You should join your middle school's debate team.

Firefall during Beta was like this actually, but the durability and gear grind was actually tight as fuck. One of the few times I had played with a durability system I liked.

Of course it was very unpopular and the game nearly died… but don't tell the realism fags that: we're a niche market and AAA knows it.

Games with detailed survival systems are cool as hell. Consider Wurm Online/Unlimited and its hunger/nutrition systems, health and wounds, etc…one of my favourite games! But that shit does not belong in every game.

In fallout nv it was ok, it played into the survival element expecially in hardcore mode.

Yeah, something needs to be done about this.

Fixed.

BotW's durability system isn't there to discourage fighting, it's to encourage using your environment as a weapon instead of just whacking things with your sword all the time. Most enemy encounters have some environmental hazards near them to help dispatch them or at least take out most of their health so your weapons are just for cleanup.

But you best gear up for those tests of strength, nigga.

The physics system in BotW is easily the best part of the game. It allows for there to be multiple ways to solve almost every problem, which is something it has over not only other Zelda games but almost any other game. Too bad they put so much into the physics that they sacrificed a lot of other things that should have been in the game. It isn't just weapons constantly breaking, it's the dungeons being drastically cut down as well. The concept of the Divine Beasts is cool, but the lack of keys made each one feel like one of the kiddie dungeons from ALttP or OoT. Since everything is computerized in BotW they could have at least done something like MGS1 did where you had key card authorization levels, but we didn't even get that, and all the dungeons and shrines looked just like each other. Shit, even the kiddie dungeons had a miniboss, but BotW didn't even give us that, and all the bosses looked the same too. The varied environments from the other Zelda games were a huge part of the immersion factor, but they decided it would be easier if they did forgettable carbon-copy dungeons like TES did, without having the character growth that defines TES or the writing of Michael Kirkbride and his trusty partner, Jack Daniels. For the next Zelda they should keep the physics system and the large collection of weapons, but make basically everything else like the old games. Make the next fairy companion a magic blacksmith who uses pixie dust to keep your weapons and armor in good repair, I don't even care, just don't force me to go through weapons like a Hummer goes through gas.

depends on what mods you were using.

on most good ones and vanilla, guns didnt break until I'd say 500 shots MINIMUM. they DID get progressively worse and worse at staying centered tho. If you hit 50% durability, you would have like a 1 in 10 chance of hitting center shot.

its good and realistic tho. Real guns do require a bit of cleaning to stay centered. Its especially bad in STALKER cause its post apocalyptic, but honestly, you'd more often pick up someone elses rifle than repair yours

I liked it in Dark Cloud 1 and 2 though…

Ebony Mail is better than Daedric Cuirass, so it's even more useless. It is a pain if you want ti actually gather something in places you go to.

Dark Souls doesn't have a hard weight limit and shit you don't equip is weightless. It doesn't go "don't use the cool weapon, it will break with no fixing" because the only weapon that breaks like that is crytal, and those drop often. It also doesn't gimp your damage until the weapon is on the verge of breaking, unlike most others.

Or just brew up some feather potions.

The new Zelda is cool but it definitely feels like a first try. I hope they keep the fantasy land toybox feel they've got going here with future games and work in some bigger dungeons and more epic bosses. I honestly expected the finale to be more like Shadow of the Collosus but what we got was pretty good too. The fact that you can completely avoid getting the second electrical orb in one of the Divine Beasts and just create a line of metal weapons from one electrified pad to the other and run the current through your weapons shows the crazy cool shit you can do. It's miles ahead of any other sandbox game in that regard.

So what? I've played every TES game from the moment I was born simulatenously in different PCs and I'm Todd Howard's second in command, plus my dad works for Bethesda.
If basic math triggers you so, you just might be a nigger

That frees up 70 weight meaning another weapon to carry around, more stuff to loot or simply less 14 Strength required.

I kinda wish they expanded the survival elements a bit and hope they do so in the future.
A neat way to make your horse more useful is if you can have it carry things for you like extra weapons and supplies. Perhaps even have a tent that your horse can carry so you can sleep with the bonus of soft beds and a cooking pot you can carry around, giving you some convenience as long as you can make it back to your horse.

I also remember some interview they had a few years ago where they talked about things like the elements and "how realistic should games be". They mentioned stuff like in Super Mario, if you throw fire at an ice block, the player expects it to melt of course, but should the water be conductible, should it evaporate as well, etc. I think they might be considering the idea of expanding their games more towards a sandbox aproach so players can make their own fun.

every video game needs to be realistic fags need to get the spirit of realistic within their own universe in their life

I was expecting the Divine Beasts to do more than just knock off part of Ganon's health. They should have helped out with his last form, too. Made it feel like freeing them wasn't even worth it.

shiggidy diggidy, I get that 2 is dogshit, but still.

Conveyance of what exactly? That your weapons degrade? That the boss degrades your weapon? All of this information is right there on the screen, you just have to take it in and adapt.

In the PC version of the game, the weapon degradation being tied to the framerate made it a real fucking issue, so much that you either had multiple weapons equipped or you always had a brass knuckle ring on because you couldn't go through an area without the weapon breaking otherwise.

On the other hand this made me more elegant at the combat, I wouldn't spam my attacks because the bug was triggered when you attacked a corpse and you don't want to waste 1/10th of your durability by overdoing your combo and slicing through a ragdoll.

Did you make the video user? If so, please take care of the volume next time, that initial part of the majula theme left my ears ringing, and I had my headphones volume at 50%.

Shit man now I'm interested.

I think the thing "m-muh immersion/realism" fags are getting tripped up on is item degradation is WAY too easy to fuck up on if not downright unreasonable as shown here with the crowbar comment .

The thing about that is it would be fine in an actual silent hill game where the enemies are scary and you don't have to fight them, but in downpour and homecoming I'm pretty sure you are forced to fight shit. In any other silent hill you can kill every enemy in the world and I'm pretty sure that it works on megaman rules where if you go to a different place and come back they show up again. You're not supposed to want to fight enemies, but for some reason americans all make the silent hill games about combat and not about trying to get the fuck out of silent hill.

monsters spawn only on in town, everywhere else you can kill them all and they wont respawn again

Your first mistake was actually trying to play dark souls 2.