I've got dual Pentium Pros, what should I do with them?

I've got dual Pentium Pros, what should I do with them?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=rfa_Wn74vc4
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

I see what you've done here.

Holy shit.

Change wallpaper to Tidus.

Play Crysis

What were breifcases used for anyway. That always bothered me, i never saw any use for them.

I don't understand what's going on here…

OP has two Pentium Pros and wants to know what do with them.

Post guts

The idea was that you'd copy the briefcase to a floppy or whatever, and you could sync the contents on both using the right-click menu. I don't think anyone ever cared about them, so they got removed. Knowing Windows 9x, they were probably buggy as hell.

Test final reality

This was a much simpler time.. I kinda miss it in a way.

Best startup/shut down theme.

Fight me niggers.

Ahh i see, running Quake sounds like a good idea

So do I and i also wonder if there are any W9x themes for W7.

Adult Swim is publishing a game catered to your nostalgia.

Hi, OP. I'm from the future. Several things will happen in 2017 (where I'm from):

1. Donald J. Trump is the president
2. Nintendo pisses on its customer and combines console and handheld into an abomination
3. Christopher Poole works for Google

I use them for work mainly. Think of it like offline Dropbox using USB.

WHATS MY NAME?
AGRECASCINO

ITS A BRAND NEW GAME
AGRECASCINO

install bonzi fucking budy

Fucking hipsters and corporate pandering ruin everything, even something as simple as nostalgia for 90s operative systems. This is a "meme game"

Yeah whatever, Titor

Yeah, likely. I just hope it doesn't bait and switch from a RPG to some pretentious horror game.

There's a classic "theme" but I don't recommend using it. On my machine it seemed to fuck with video decoding, probably has to do with something turning off all the effects and processing on Vista/7 themes.

Oh yeah, that classic mode. I was just thinking that perhaps someone made a full-fledged theme inspired on 9x, Linux fags have it easier.

Yeah I want win 95/8-themed skin for W7 that doesn't turn visual effects off, because it actually affect software, several games included.

Run Quake 3 nigger. Thats the ultimate test.

There's also Chicago95 for XFCE.

I seriously hope most retro and small niche WMs get ported/are compatible with Wayland if it becomes mainstream.

pleb

I installed winquake earlier, I will post pics later.

wayland will never ever land

At least you didn't say when.

That shit actually looks better than modern Windows.

But this is Windows NT 4.0?

Play Deus Ex.

I think it looks kinda comfy and fun

Anyone up for a deathmatch?

Looks mildly interesting, I'll give it a pirate when it's released.

Hook them up to a radiator and warm your house for the winter.

Not really. It's funny, I was trying to set up Win95 in DOSBox so I could play some SimTower and not the shitty dos version, and couldn't help but take these screencaps from the installer. The marketing language and buzzwords haven't changed a single bit. Drop that text into a W10 installer, and it would barely look out of place.

Meanwhile, the ganoo plus loonix ecosystem is an utter clusterfuck. I truly despair for computing.

Should I install System Shock?

i want a win 95 box now for nostalgia

So, this seems like a good thread to ask. Some months ago I received this thing. It came complete with an old HDD, an OPL sound card, and a US Robotics modem. I have no idea what to do with it. I don't want to throw it out, it's in pristine condition, but I really have no use whatsoever for it.

YES. DO IT.

shit nigga if it's a voice-modem (NOT a win-modem) you can probably use it to setup your own PBX with Asterix

That board looks like a PCI/ISA. Those are rare enough now that they are worth keeping for vintage OS's and ISA hardware that no modern computer can run anymore.

Yes, it has some ISA ports.

Anything interesting?

Why Windows NT over 9x?, game compatibility on NT is not very good, specially for DOS games.

Weird old video cards (i.e. Hercules), multi-serial adapters with coprocessors, or DAQ or industrial control cards that cost a fortune back in the day. Also you can actually make a custom ISA card and have it work, because the bus is so slow and simple.

IP And port?

Play DOS games on it, what else? Get yourself an Adlib and turn up the speakers.

With emulators and whatnot around, that doesn't seem very useful.

Of course. The point is to have it as it's own setup. Get yourself an old beige CRT and some fat beige speakers. Maybe even a Model M keyboard. It's about the expierence. Sure you could emulate and fit the entirety of the DOS game catalog onto a flash drive, but then that old PC will sit in the corner of the room forever.

If it doesn't have any use in terms of things I could otherwise not do, I'll just throw it out. Building a setup just for playing DOS games is a lot of work, and it's something I can do with my main setup much more comfortably.

At the moment, the thing I care about the most from that computer is the soundcard. I'm a sucker for chiptunes and that thing has an OPL card. Even if I prefer other chips, it would be interesting to experiment with it.

But anyway, I didn't want to derail OP's thread any further.

Please do more! It's taking ages to get system shock working right.

Official Wangblows 95 and over power ranking

98 > XP > 7 > 95 > 2000 >>>>>>>> 10 > Vista >>>>>>>>>>> 8/8.1 > shit >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> ME

Windows ME is less carcinogenic than Windows 8 and 10.

As someone who's first computer that was completely my own, as in not a shared family computer, and had ME, I can say as much as I hate 8/10 at least they fucking work most of the time. Unlike ME which worked none of the time. All ME did was introduce programs that weren't as fully functional until XP and later.

It works.

I loved that OS, I never wanted to upgrade in school but got bullied into installing XP.

Moot was like 15 in 2003 newfag. Nobody knew who he was in the NT4 to 2000 days. Even in the early days he was just "That faggot from SA named Chris who ripped off the imageboard section of world2ch"

briefcases are still in 7

I ran Windows ME for years into the time of XP, and never had a problem with it. It's basically Windows 98 with USB drivers. I still have no idea why everyone hates it.

forgot pic

I ran Windows ME as late as around 2005 I think? I remember because I had a bunch of stuff related to the Gen IV Pokemon coming out and 2005 was around when they started announcing shit relared to Gen IV and I always lurked Serebii.net back then. Granted this was the first computer that I owned personally. The house computer ran XP and before thar it ran Windows 2000 and before that it was this IBM my grandfather gave my dad (he worked on mainframes amd shit and got to take some equipment home).that ran Windows 95

ANYWAYS, Windows ME was notoriously buggy, full of svhost lockups, and was picky as shit when it came to hardware. You have to understand that the only reason Windows ME even existed was because Microsoft had two separate dev teams, one worked for business products and the other worked for home and personal products. The home product team wanted to stick with a DOS based kernel because that's what they were used too. It was a fucking disaster and DOS really started showing it's limits by then. Microsoft eventually fused both teams back together and made Windows XP as the first consumer Windows that used the then-new NT kernel

7>XP>2000>10>8.1>98>95>8>ME

XP=7>98>2000>95>ME>8.1/8>10
I'd rather use ME than 8 or 10.
And this is from someone who used it for years.

Also, insert Vista above 8.

who?

Hotwheel's dad

95>2000>XP>7>98SE>8.1>8>98FE=Vista=ME=10

98 Was shit until SE, and even then it required Internet Gay explorer. 95 was the best version because it was lightweight as fuck and didn't require IE. 2000 Wins second place because it was basically the 95 of the NT Line.

Did svhost (SVCHost?) even exist on ME? I thought that was a Windows NT thing.

Niggers like you are detrimental to yourself and others.
You buy a game hoping to find some comfy, but it ends up being lackluster without any depth at all while your money supports these horrible trends.

Completely disregard this if you pirate though. It'll just be a waste of your time.

2k and XP were both pretty good, and I'd still be using them if it was feasible

Do you even need to ask, OP?

DOS >>>> Windows

I had to look it up and holy shit it didn't. This is some Mandella effect shit right here man. I think it was a comparable process clogging shit up though

Stick both of them up your ass.

Even windows xp was shit in some ways. Remember LOCKING UP EVERY FUCKING SECOND?

I miss it too.

PCEM is a pain in the dick to set up, but if you're nostalgic for that era, this shit is like candy. Just got to find all the damn BIOSes and ROMs for all the computer parts.

It's not a virtual machine, so AFAIK, the only way to move files to and from PCEM and the outside world is to create disc images and load them into the floppy drive or CD rom on PCEM.

Then you boot it up, and you get the energy star logo and some authentic ancient bios, and you have to enter setup and set your boot devices and date and shit, and then you have to find a windows CD image and key, and make a boot disc for the floppy drive if your chosen bios doesn't support booting from the CD, and then you have to install windows, and it takes exactly as fucking long as it does in real life.

Shit's pretty cash.

cmon son

also
not

XP was incredibly stable except for certain hardware drivers read: Creative Labs

98 > 95 > XP > 7 > 2000 > vista > 8/8.1 > ME > 10

Good, now host WinQuake DM.

Adult Swim is cancer.

It was Windows NT. It wasn't buggy as hell. And offices used the feature all the time. Then cloud computing took over

That only happened because retards didn't know how to defrag their shit or even that they needed to defrag their shit. The only reason why Windows 7 and up don't "lock up" as much as XP is because Windows 7 introduced a partially seld-defeagging filesystem

Lol nostalgia fags sure are hilarious. Fuck CRTs up the asshole.

I don't miss crap CRTs at all, but top-tier Trinitron or monochrome CRT's had technical qualities that are still irreplaceable.
It's sad that the craft of painting in electric fire upon living phosphor against a true dead black background will be lost forever.

Come on user, you are better than that.

I still have the fucking marks on my fingers, fuck CRT's

Fuck. I used to make zombie movies in 3d Movie Maker, I used red cubes and balls for blood.

Fuck I remembee that, and i also used to make lots of car chase movies that involved the models getting squashed. Did you had the Nickelodeon models expansion?

Nah just the basic, but I used the haunted castle stage non stop after playing Resident Evil 2. They had a crawling animation I think? And make them cycle through it without moving so it kind of looked like they were eating someone. Shit this is all coming back to me.

youtube.com/watch?v=rfa_Wn74vc4
This was in the related videos. Man all of this shit, like the models moving off to the side right at the end of a scene, fragments from explosions just hanging in the air. I want to fuck around with this again but I know it'll just end up boring. At least there's these vids.

HAHAHahaaa

you're just mad because you couldn't handle it. Real men were in the 90s, not pea brain pussies like you

To move a CRT? The fuck is wrong with you and the rest of your family?

This to be honest.

Do you have any idea how much a 28 inch CRT weighs? Do you have any idea how fucking big it is? You try carrying the fucking thing downstairs by yourself and enjoy your broken neck.

I dunno I feel like this is trolling. I can and have hauled those by myself, and I'm not strong or fit.

Yeah, I've moved CRTs up and down stairs many times, it's not hard. If you're a 4'8" womanlet with a bone condition you should get an averaged-size guy to help you out rather than trying to force both your moms to give you a hand.

If you've got a Soundblaster or ISA slot, get another hard drive and dualboot with FreeDOS.

I've always used it and never noticed anything like that happen. What exactly do you mean?

Are you hosting?

Sounds good for DOS games.

You can get a pretty decent one for around $100-200. I built one from scratch for the lower end of that, excluding the IDE laptop drives I already had laying around. You're going to want to get a new power supply though, and you have to choose it carefully because of how older motherboards are designed. (you need at least 20 amps on the 5V rail iirc, which means a beefy PSU) There's a lot of useful info on VOGONS and their wiki, and one of the regulars even does YouTube videos on building vintage computers.

I've been temporarily separated from my PPRO machine, so I'll host a deathmatch on something more capable.

You guys are forgetting you're on 8/v/ and probably talking to obese manchild who hasn't lifted anything in his life heavier than a bag of doritos.

"Am I cool yet?"

Quake dm server on at 45.56.113.99

Wasn't as much of a pain in the ass to use as I thought. Reminds me of Stanley's Sticker Stories. There were a lot of "games" like this where you animate by just moving stuff around and keyframing it.

Shit, right when I was going to drag myself to bed. Might play tomorrow if you still have it up. Which engine is it?

I really miss 98SE and MS DOS, mostly because of the games but also because of other things. The worst change is how dependent on the Internet everything has become.

I think because of turning off different processes (transparencies, etc) W7 also becomes shit at decoding video. I noticed in both watching youtube videos in my browser and even video files in MPC-HC there would be tons of Vsync issues no matter what I did. Since reverting to the Aero theme (albeit with some features turned off as I've always thought the effects were garish) video playback has been more smooth.

Are shit. Those are digital "EDTVs" inside of a CRT. They have digital processing going on like a lot of modern TVs and are susceptible to lag.

Get the fuck off my board right now. >>>reddit/

user, this is super fucking cool. Good find.

You know you can just select which Aero features you want, right?

proquake

PCEM can also run 8088mph almost cycle accurately.

Workbench>AmigaDOS>DOS

BEAUTIFUL

Anyone?

I was there for a bit, but no one joined. I'll join again in a few minutes.

I've only ever had vsync issues with DWM on, not off.

Nah
XP > 2000 > 98SE = 95 > 7 SP1 = Vista > 8/8.1 > NT* > ME >>>>> shit >>>>> 10 = 7 with spyware updates > 8/8.1 with spyware updates

Wish I could go back to XP, the GUI was far better, and there were tons of great themes you could download.

As long as you've got >4GB of RAM and don't need DX11, why not do it? It's supported until 2019 with the POSReady patches.

You could use linux if you don't give a shit about new games

Sorry, I'm not on the quake server because I'm mending two ethernet cables together so I can get better than 1000ms ping on anything ever.

man, this whole thread makes me miss stringing computers together with coax and extra bnc terminators everywhere.

He's trying to bait people into calling his podcast with that

This. There's only like 3~ good directx 11 games and vista was so shit everyone but developers who were paid by microsoft ignored directx 10, and that pretty much guarantees the developer is shit. The only good directx 10 game is just cause 2.

Defragging is an old wive's meme like buying Norton every year.

Last year I defragged my fams old Dell that hadn't been defragged in 4 years and there was zero improvement in performance.

Keep your system clean and secure and you will never experience "Windows rot".

Wrong.

You mean Niggernet Exploder.

I mentioned DX11 specifically because XP supports DX10. Y'know, for all one game it's good for. But if you don't need the extra RAM, and you don't need DX11, then you have your edict from God, my son.

Should I install XP or some linux distro?

get windows 95 and play the hidden spreadsheet doomlike game

Wow, that's embarassingly incorrect

Ecstasy.

What's that hanging out on the top left near the rainbow cables? the sound card? Anyways old hardware is pretty much useless besides fucking with it, so do what OP is doing.

What the hell is a Google?

RAM sticks.

when this baby hits 8088 miles per hour, you're gonna see some serious shit

You only need to defrag if you're constantly creating/modifying/deleting files, the filesystem becomes fragmented due to the space it pads between files if I remember correctly.
This causes noticeable performance issues when the volume starts running out of free space.
Filesystems like ext2/3/4 don't start suffering fragmentation until a volume fills nearly to capacity.

Old hardware can still be pretty useful, just pop a couple pci sata cards in, put in a few 2TB drives and make it into a local file server.

Speaking of disk interfaces….

On a side note:
Anyone have some music kind of like the UT99 OST, preferably written in a tracker format?

I listen to tracker music every day but I never thought about listening to the UT99 OST.

Why not listen to the UT99 OST, in a tracker format?

No reason not to, I just never thought of doing it.

HOLY FUCK, those composer names blew me away.

Surely somebody is giving away something better for free on craigslist, no?

Craigslist is filled with serial killers

Why are you having an orgasm from fucking up an Ethernet cable?

I was splicing two ethernet cables together, and having some fun doing it.

You act like it isn't possible to get 7 or even 8+ to look like 95/98

But that doesn't look like 95/98.

In classic mode v-syn is turned off. You can enable some features but v-sync wont be working

This looks like shit
Old crusty win98 looks better than that

But does it act like them?

I never really noticed how much fucking space explorer.exe's navigation bar takes. Holy shit.

It looks like it, but doesn't behave like it. You'll discover minor differences that will irk you just enough if you are a power user.

It's worth noting that w2k works on a lot of recent hardware, and isn't completely lost in the dark in terms of program and driver support(i run on the side on my HP Z620, and it works fine).

Is that a whole computer on a pci interface?

It's a scsi controller, using an intel i960 cpu for acceleration.

There's also a updated Kernel that can run NT6 stuff as well, but I can't seem to find it now. Someone is also working on custom made security patches too.

That's the HFSLIP guy and blackwingcat's extended kernel.

neat

bump

you should render gifs