Good sword combat games?

Preferably the ones that can run on complete toaster (3 Ghz core 2 duo) or entry level laptop (2.4 Ghz quad core).

Skyrims pretty good

If you think that Chivalry is a good 'sword combat game' you haven't clearly played it online. Fucking draggers, spinners and other fuckers ruined the game.

Getting kicked out of the low level servers at 15 was one of the most abrupt shifts in game quality I've encountered.

Mount&Blade. Runs on potatoes as long as you don't scale battles up too far, top-tier melee combat.

Alternately, play Dark Messiah of Might and Magic. Fantasy (no shit) but excellent melee combat.

Warbamd multiplayer is the pinnacle of it. Bannerlord will be the only thing to top it

Spot on.

I love the SP, but it gets boring since it's an MP focused game.

Dank Messiah was fine, but the sword felt too floaty, didn't it? I haven't played Mount and Blade, I'm afraid of complexity.

I hope your pic is purely illustrative and not representative, OP. As to answer your question, mount and blade.

Wrong.

Wait for butterlord.

Even worse, wait until the realismfags who know nothing of sword combat come.

It's simpler than Chivalry.

Wrong.

Any sword combat game in vein of pic related?

From what I've seen, M&B's combat lacks verticality.

As long as there mechanics are elaborate and not autoaim rhythm based two attack buttons combat like dank souls, it's okay tbh.

There's an RTS aspect, no? Like troops management? I don't like it.

You're right. If you're lucky with terrain (needs to be a little higher than the other guy) you can jump to dodge a side slash and the momentum when coming down also increases the damage of an overhead attack, although jumping just for the damage is a horrible idea because of stiff animations and making your foot game predictable. Overhead attacks are also the easiest attacks to chamber block in game while having a distinct animation. At least it's something.

To be fair, M&B is fun but the combat is really shit and not very complex

yeah, I don't know why anyone would praise the combat of any aspect of the game. It's really simple directional combat with the usual momentum makes it deep xD baggage. Melee centric games with actual move sets are far better.

Mount and Blade would be good if ground fighting did have a MASSIVE tell in every direction you're about to swing. That shit works for mounted combat but on the ground it just looks retarded.

Much more RPG than RTS. You can give troops simple orders in the field (unless you're using mods), this generally involves 4 keypresses that translate to "Sit on top of this hill that I'm on, infantry take 10 paces forwards". Troops are upgraded, but it's simply you leveling them up, whereupon they summon magical weapons and armor out of thin air.

PVKII is fucking excellent
Too bad the playerbase is dead.
And the dev team is just a bunch of random dudes doing it in their spare time, meaning its been a decade in development and its still barely even half finished.

I just played M&B. Why does the directional swing make no sense? In other games, I can choose my swinging direction by holding wasd while pressing the mouse. Here, I don't even know, felt like my character just swings at random direction.

On an unrelated note, why is the progression so slow? It's hard to assemble a troop and gather gold. Also, the inventory system is truly horrendous.

I find it difficult because the game doesn't pause when you're giving commands.

No.

Age of Chivalry

It does make sense. If you want to make an overhead slash, you move the mouse down while you click. If you want to do a slash to the left, you move your mouse left while you click. Move it down for a thrust and to the right for a side slash to the right. Some weapons aren't capable of thrusts (some swords and axes) and some can only thrust (most lances). You can change that to WASD keys on the settings, but i would advise against it.
You're on the hobo phase, what you should do is spend every money you get on a productive enterprise. That will give you a stable source of income through the whole game. When you're new you should look for bands of bandits, bandits normally are a hidden tier of troop below recruits but with better gear, but anything that runs away for you should be weaker than you.

Severance: Blade of Darkness

Oh yeah, I just found out how to make directional swings.

I want to. How?

Tell me more.

I've played that. Quite fun.

I am in there since almost day 1 and I love it. I think it's exploits like that, that make games good. Bunny Hopping and shit like that are exploits too, and when devs try to fix that kind of shit you end up with crap games.

UT3 for example had a lot of fixes that made the game overall worse.

Chivalry is shit game for newbies, but 2 pros have a lot of fun against each other. You may have a hard time against those abusing certain shit, but when two people who know those tactics face each other they have a good time.

When you remove all of that shit there is no skill left in the game anymore.

Die by the Sword. Control the sword using the number pad. Only bad is the odd platforming parts that never worked very well.

No, what you're left with is a good game.
The stupid ballerina shit that results in back-breaking backwards overheads and drag swings that do damage while the sword is barely moving are what make for a bad game where exploiting is required to win but only a very small minority enjoys using those exploits.

If they'd fixed chivalry's bad parts like that and then balanced around their removal, they'd have been left with a much better game.

With exploits gone the game turns into a slow paced and predictable game. I honestly don't want to play a game like that, I love my glitchy exploit ridden game.

When you fix the exploits it becomes a rock paper scissor like game, you wait for your enemy to do X so you can do Y. But the current game brings a focus to fast reactions and shit like that.

You need a system like M+B uses with high skill techniques like chambering.

Chivalry was and is a bad game. Ballerina backwards overheads and crazy drag swings turn it into a tiny group of autistic veterans dry humping each other on a single active server.

Hey, I love my games this way. You non autistic casual gamers can play your own games.

That trailer gets me wet. I'm gonna fund the fuck outta that game.

That's the one that really got me watching their development.

It's made by a group of Mount and Blade and Chivalry veterans who didn't like the broken, exploity shit from either one. (Ridiculously fast spins in M+B and ballerina bullshit from Chivalry)

They look like they've got a good working concept for the game so far, and I'd love to see them bring something to release.

bushido blade
or play tekken if you want to play a real combat game
The average character in tekken has like 100plus moves which are more than the average real life fighter has.

So what you are saying is you prefer a circlejerk?

If it delivers on what it's promising it should be quite the game. Let's hope they can do it.

Witcher 3
Dark Souls 3
Dragon's Dogma
Shadow of Mordor
Devil May Cry 4
Way of the Samurai 4
Berserk (PS2)
Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning

I'm rooting for them. Ever since the first time I complained about Chivalry I had something like that game in mind.

How did you come to that conclusion? I just prefer a hard game over a bad one with a big community. But that doesn't mean I love all the other faggots who play it.

you can change the direction of the swing to depend on WASD, but you're supposed to use the mouse for this in order to drag the swing to speed up/slow down the attack
also WASD would actually make you move your character, while just using the mouse wouldn't

progression is slow because it's supposed to be like an rpg, if you want to actually succeed, you're gonna have to get good relations with lords
but if you just want to quickly make an empire, export your character, set his charisma to some obscene value and then import the character back

actually now that i remember it, blade symphony was unique and still fun
downside is that it has no real singleplayer aside from the tutorial, and multiplayer is more or less dead by now

people are still abusing of the 2 hand sword?

If you don't like the troop management you can just spam cavalry and win most fights. Only sieges and maybe polearm-heavy armies could give you trouble. In any case the RTS elements are not complex. It's mostly "charge", "wait a bit, then charge" or "let them charge us while we shoot them". You can get autistic with it but it is absolutely not vital for victory unless you're vastly outnumbered or something.

That said, I would not play M&B for the sword combat. It's great at giving that feeling of being a captain leading your warband but the combat is only ok.