Defense Games

I don't mean tower defense, I'm looking more for base building/preparing and holding a fort/base kind of defense.

Other urls found in this thread:

reddit.com/r/BaseBuildingGames/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Factorio is pretty fun in that regard.

Men of War series has some incredibly hectic and difficult defense missions. It's not a dedicated basebuilding/defense series, but it's top-tier anyway.

Every few months I see what the faggots in /r/BaseBuildingGames are up to, looks like Northgard and KeeperRL.

Creeper World 3?

Is that "Stronghold"?

CAN'T PLACE THAT THERE MI'LORD

the people worship you m'lord

There isn't really any. I have been looking for good game where you build base and protect against some kind of swarm of enemies for long time. What said is your best bet and if you haven't played it go do it now.
Other than that you should just go for either RTS or Tower Defense games. My suggestion would be Balloons Tower Defense just because how nice it is and Supreme Commander for the single best artillery in any game.

Factorio definitely is nice in terms of defense aspect but it really is way too basic.
Wall, laser towers with electricity/gun with ammo, conveyor belts to reset alien animations/ bots to repair.
Build around your base and you are 100% safe.

Base building is basically a dead genre, you'll want to look in older places

WCIII has a fuckload of neat base-defence maps

OUR GRANARY STOCKS ARE GROWING, SIRE

Can't go wrong with Dungeon Keeper 1 & 2. You might also want to look at War for the Overworld, it got better since launch

Double rations. Great.

Stronghold was so comfy as easy

The game is pretty neat but I feel it suffers from the same flaw Dungeon Keeper does: you can't really control what minions spawn for you.

It's all based on what rooms you have built. Which is a pain because if you build a room out of necessity and then have to wait, then you'll get your army littered with minions of one type corresponding to that room. Which wouldn't be such a big deal, but the army population cap is pretty low and hard to increase, so it's not uncommon to have an army of just warlocks because you built the library first because you needed it. And then later when you build something better, there's no room in your army to spawn the minions associated with it. So you end up suiciding your warlocks to free up population. It just seems like a poorly designed mechanic.

Early access

Nope

That's a shame, my first game was stronghold so it set such a high standard so early.

Been looking for that base-build fix for years.

too bad the AI tends to be erratic. Never tried the multiplayer though

mein neger

The game tends to be brutal especially the snow level and those fucking snow monsters

Starcraft protect the president And heaven vs hell gamemodes… maybe the closest to what you are taliking about user besides C&C.

Welp, I just can't undertand how reddit works, its a fucking mess

reddit.com/r/BaseBuildingGames/

Can someone go there and come with a good game?

I still can't unsee her snatch hanging out in the corner.

Off with you.

Evil Genius is pretty decent for that sort of thing. Most of the time you're just stopping the enemy from snooping, but if they get pissed off they send large squads of soldiers to fuck you up.

The Total War games have siege gameplay, but it's not the focus of the games. Holding off a huge army with half as many men is awesome, though.

It's sad that the community is dead and the buggy as hell engine will never be fixed.

If you don't mind branching out from an isometic perspective, Iron Grip: Warlord would do you nicely, I think. It's a toaster-friendly (but very stellar looking, especially in those aspects drawn up by the ever wonderful Keith Thompson) dieselpunk id Tech 3 engine FPS-tower defense hybrid developed by ISOTX, with the player being a steppeshitter-looking Serb in the WW2 tech but socially medieval shithole worlds' equivalent to the Balkans named Attelia. Said nation is suffering a simultaneous invasion by dogmatically atheistic commienazis with a billion puppet-protectorate city states based from a northern island subcontinent, and the bastard child of the Holy Roman Empire and Napoleonic France under control of a crusade-happy theocracy, these being the Rahmos and the Confederation of Nallum centered around the nation of Fahrong, respectively. The player fights the latter, the former being the subject of the previous FPS-RTS hybrid that the studio had made. They are all absolute nutters, with their strategy boiling down to French obsession with personal military elan merged with Russian human wave attacks and the occasional mechanized assault consisting of sending a column of boilerplate landships alongside the fodder down a busy street, firing at anything that moves and hoping for the best. This works very well when they control half the continent and have nigh-infinite resources to expend on your hideously politically divided border kingdom, especially as the Rahmos who are assisting in this national spitroasting control the entire other half and are near exactly as liberal with their manpower.

This is where the player comes in, setting up roadblocks in the form of mines, poison gas tanks, strategically placed machine guns, tank dugouts and supply depots, and lending a significant personal hand in the form of RPG ambushes from back alleys, dozens of molotovs over every fence, bridge and low wall, and the occasional suicide bombing while looting gold to barter for lead and using civilian NPCs as 'accidental' human shields to get more resources through the fanatical backlash against the invaders. Considering it's in the same engine as Quake 3 Arena, all this moves surprisingly fast, especially as you purchase more upgrades to your personal health & speed to allow for riskier movements and quicker repositionings. You will do this until the Fahrongi decide it's cheaper to bomb the entire district you're defending into molten slag with airship fire before promptly moving onto the next district and doing exactly the same thing. In single player, the amount of juggling and sprinting you have to do makes each level an interesting puzzle to get just the right initial setup to get over the early hump (usually buying an anti-vehicle solution and a supply depot out of the line of fire early is a good idea, as the AI is useless against vehicles but very good at killing chaff with molotovs, but this may vary depending on level, as you might want to go for a more moderate option like an LMG with rifle grenades to keep you protected from ambushing counterpartisans on maps that don't go balls out on vehicles as quickly and might want to cover certain rat tunnel approaches to your HQ early) followed by a grinding murderfest inbetween hunter-killer sorties against armored cars, tanks, spidertanks and Napoleonic officers with gatling guns and sabers as long as you are tall. In multiplayer- for which the official servers are very dead- I'm not sure if it wouldn't play out more smoothly, but I imagine it'd be plenty of fun if you could get a LAN party going or else get some people over VPN, even if it wouldn't be as hard without pumping the difficulty up to less than sane levels.

I'm not sure if it's actually available for purchase anymore consider how long it's been, but I don't imagine that matters too much since the probably nonexistent copy protection means it's assurably piratable in spite of the obscurity and the lack of multiplayer servers means you're missing out on nothing by doing so. The devs have gone mad with one turn-based tactics MMO thing after another anyways, I'm not sure if there's much of anything left to support or if they even exist. Whatever the case may be, I'd say it's worth looking into. It has a very special place in my heart and I do not hesitate to gush over it when I get the rare chance to do so.

How is the sp in that?

user, you gotta elaborate

As I said, good, but hard to get the hang of if you play on Moderate, which I think is about the sweet spot for difficulty once you know what you're doing, haven't gone above that seeing as I'm not a serial masochist. AI team mates are gormless and have no idea how to fight vehicles properly since they don't buy weapons, but are very good at rushing around and throwing molotovs at the main infantry blobs (which is very, very effective if they aren't running straight into them) occasionally repairing turrets, and sometimes stopping infiltrating elite squads that peel off from the main lane through side paths, tunnels & buildings.

user, you gotta get glasses

nigga that's not the corner, that's almost center of frame

Nigga where the fuck are you expecting to see exposed vag? You should be eyeing that crotch at all times.

…. I don't know, user. It's late, I'm tired, I'm retarded.

Evil Genius' defense is kinda shit though, manually flagging every single agent for disorientation is a huge pain in the ass and if soldiers show up and you have to go to yellow or red alert you have to listen to the alarm going off for potentially like ten minutes while the soldiers do a full lap of your island before finding a door.

guys,
RIMWORLD is your fucking answer.
what the fuck Glitterworld did you faggots land on.

War for the Overworld has some pacing issues because the devs designed it around multiplayer rather than singleplayer.

At least the Heart of Gold DLC lets things to a little bit slower.

Full disclosure: Personally involved with the title

it's Dorf Fort lite, just because it has a modern theme doesn't make it good ya dingus

I bet you didn't even make it to 2nd island

And what's so bad about "Dorf Fort lite" with a sci-fi cowboy theme?

This was the biggest mistake they made. The handful of autistic fucks that want to play multiplayer shouldn't have the game built around them. Having my comfy dungeon building interrupted by dumb limits designed to balance a mode I'll never play is not good. Also the performance issues were terrible on launch.
How, exactly? Genuinely interested on hearing some behind the scenes stuff if possible.

SC2 have some, and way better than the original SC

The single z-level, shit random events that usually result in crop blight after crop blight because the game plays around maintaining a population limit for you and god forbid if you somehow manage to get above it because your crops will pay the price. It's decent but Tynan needs to actually finish it and not cop out. He's gonna cop out and it's never going to get the z levels it desperately needs. He's not even going to upgrade from those prison architect ripoff graphics.

dwarf fort autist detected.

z-levels have been ruled out from day 1. it's not that game, and how can any faggot complain about rimworld graphics when they are obviously some dwarf fort fanboi. laughable ironic faggot.

I'd be fine with rimworlds graphics if was free but it's not, so I expect a little better than a blatant ripoff.

fix'd. You know what would also be nice? If colonists amounted to more than 3 vague traits and a series of bars that fill and empty.

3 traits
12 skills
5 pieces of gear
1 weapon
health history, aging, drug usage
back history

low tier bait brah.

video games are free, user

A shame the DotA 2 custom games haven't filled the gap.

I actually haven't, I think I'm close to it though. I've only got 24 hours in the game spread across like three different files years apart and I always lose interest because of all the repetitive micromanagement with the agent tagging and shuffling people around the world map. I just finished the 4 uber loot objective and am trying to do the doomsday weapon intel stuff. I've messed around with traps a little but they've so far seemed not really worth the effort since they end up catching as many of my workers in their effects as they do intruders, it's been much more reliable to just have 10 spin doctors and 10 valets turning everyone away.

Wow I'm so impressed.

None of this does anything for the gameplay except in very, very minor ways. Describe how a dwarf worshiping Thun, the God of Iron Soap over a dwarf worshipping Hylan, the Goddess of Floodgates changes the game when you can't even make shrines for them.
It's just a very long list of fluff text that might end up being used in the future for something but as it stands, it's practically what passes as "aesthetics" for Dwarf Fortress

Present in Rimworld, but given to you in a menu that display every information with a number, a bar and their passion for it as well as any restriction associated with it.
Some colonists have personal preferences like proesthetics or bigger rooms, etc as well.

If there isn't as big a description for your colonist in Rimworld, it's because Tynan hasn't coded a way that it can actually affect the game, but whenever he finds one, he does so which is why there's Beauty, Space, Fun, Confort, Drugs and other stuff.

There's a lot of critiques and comparisons you can make between RW and DF, but character complexity is not one of them.
Rimworld gives you pawns sufficiently detailed to have an interesting game you can play around with.
Dwarf Fortress gives you obtusely complicated pawns where half their content does nothing and the other half can't be used by the player meaningfully.
For instance, what's the point in having a deeper more complex body simulation and surgery when in the end you can't do more than stitch them together?
Rimworld might not have fat, skin, muscle and bone layers, but at least it lets you install implants, amputate people and harvest organs instead.

pirate it nigga. you wont regret it

Its not about buying the game is about playing some unfinished game getting bored of it and don't playing it when its "full"

Of course I will pirate it but not in early access

Actually you can.

Everything on that page effects something in some way, even if as minor as another dwarf admiring her for her extremely narrow nose.

Rimworld does not have likes/dislikes. It has a vague "beauty" stat that is universal for all pawns. Pawns will not prefer slate over marble for example.

The only "etc" here is temperature, that is the maximum extent of likes and dislikes in rimworld. They wont prefer one food over another, they wont prefer one type of pet to another, they wont prefer one personality type over another because there are none. Plus since all these likes and dislikes fall into traits, which are capped at a whopping three, they are often absent and instead replaced by exciting things like +movement speed or +work speed.

I wish he would have felt like making z levels.

top kek

First of all this is subjective and I disagree. Second of all, you are really setting a high bar there with wording like that. Your poor expectations for this games pawns bleed into your language, stop trying to pretend you don't agree they have the depth of a puddle.

4u

Objectively false.

Gee I dunno, what good does an in depth injury system have in a game with combat? This mystery will surely plague mankind for the rest of time.

Once of three things it does well, but it wouldn't exactly be appropriate to be stapling cyber arms on your dorfs though. Attaching undead limbs to your vampire dorf could be pretty great though, somebody email toady

They are a recolor of taverns. Wew.

But since the player does not see any of this and has no feedback, it's more pointless than the grass outside. Literally.

Some colonists like prosthetic limbs and are happy for having one, others are the oposite.
Some colonists like to have the best room while others prefer to have a very spartan one.
It has "likes and dislikes", it just happens to be over things that actually matter and which the player can interact with.
A dwarf liking emeralds over rubies might sound more interesting, but when you can't exactly tell him to stash a few with him or even encrust them in a cloak specifically for them except through convoluted methods, it's meaningless.

Z-levels have their own problem with how the terrain is coded in the game, They haven't been ruled out, it's just not a priority for him yet.
You're also changing the topic there without addressing the point. Every feature in Rimworld is something the player can directly interact with in a meaningful way while DF features a fuck load of fluff that you can't use at all.

Your prerogative, that is correct.
Now you're trying to read me in an effort to use me as an argument. Stop that, it's silly and makes you look like a twat.

If you want to say there's space for improvement, I'll agree with you. There used to be a Fear mechanic that's sorely needed and there's plenty of mods that make their entire Psychology much more complex and really add into the game. There's a lot more that could be done with the pawns that still isn't in the game, indeed.

But as they currently stand, they are indeed sufficiently detailed. I can have a pawn using any piece of clothing or weapon I want, I can train whatever skill I want, change their work schedule and have needs to maintain by gameplay to make the base building meaningful. Only thing missing in terms of complexity from Dwarf Fortress would be deity worshiping, for which there are mods anyway.
Just because they can be improved, it doesn't mean they are bad.

Not "4u", objectively obtuse. The way stats and skills are displayed is far too stupid since it barely tells you information in a legible way. Compare all the menus in DF with Dwarf Therapist for a comparison. Then consider how retard it all is when the only thing you can do is set a job to be repeated so they gain stats related to that skill, how the best military training sees dwarves rotating between different jobs as well as military life so they can increase more skills and acrue more stats, but in the end it's still just grinding skill points.
It has nothing complex or interesting at all, there are browser MMOs more complex than this shit. It only looks complex when it's actually very simple, which is why it's obtuse.

Yes, what good is there, when combat in Fortress mode is a few blinking tiles against each other? What good is it when it doesn't change anything about how you play the game?

Rimworld also has locational damage, with different effects depending on the location, infections and broken bones. But at least there you can make tough decisions like amputating an arm to stop an infection when you don't have any more medicine. DF has multiple layers for injury but the player has 0 interaction with the. Again, it looks complex but it's actually very simple, it's obtuse.

Mechanical arms would be. Harvesting organs and transplanting them as well. Different types of medicine, decisions regarding how to treat a patient, etc would also be a nice idea. That Rimworld has.

I just want you to know that instead of reading your post I'm going to go play hearts of iron

Between the two of you I only see one twat, it's not him.

Tzar is great when it comes to base building and defense, mainly because you will be fending off a steady stream of enemies almost constantly. Later campaign stages become insane with this, since the population cap is so high compared to other RTSs.

This ironic coming from someone that claimed a wall of text is "depth".

Oh please, it's a really bad attempt at guessing what someone's standards are to use them as a mocking point and dismiss any point made.
Instead of arguing about the game, how bad or good it actually is, the point is to make it all about what some faggot wishes the game was.
It's blatantly transparent and only faggots argue like this.

The key difference is that the wall of text in dorf fort actually conveys some meaning while your post does not.

Well the only thing that comes to mind would be Dwarf Fortress, but honestly speaking I cannot in good faith recommend Dwarf Fortress until Toady pulls his head out of his ass, stops adding features and rewrites Dwarf Fortress so that it has a proper multi-threading support and thus doesn't end up ruining your fun with some lame FPS death. Which will occur every time eventually.

It will most likely never-ever be a "full release" thing, the development is ongoing with first release in 2012, and with their development goals it might keep rolling until 2022…
Think of it as Dwarf Fortress

I just love you guys. You don't want Rimworld to be DF but you want z-levels. How many defense games have z-levels that have full graphics? none mother fuckers. Think of Age of Empires or Crusade. 1 fucking level, Yo, Shitty wall of Text copy-pasta poster, can't read logical reply. Lame ass, you're gay as fuck. Strategy games don't need a huge population of super fucking complex individuals to make a good strategy game, Rimworld does just fine as making them interesting if you don't agree, well that is your right but you are just stuck in the "text-age" of DF, a game that has been dying for years. Rimworld is in ALPHA it is a new game that already is SUBJECTIVELY way better then a ansi text-based clugger like DF, normal people do not want to play such shitty fucking interfaces, and sir I grew up with muds, and DF is worse then a mud and guess what, muds are dead too. DF is dead outside of 10 guys nobody is playing it. Don't be mad broh, your game is for grandpa autists. Rimworld is already WAY more popular than DF ever was in this next year, that is only going to increase more drastically. Get on the fucking train gents to the modern age. Register at ludeon, make suggestions to the devs and modders and try not to be such a faggot in your next life. So heres the deal, when DF goes and fixes its shitty interface, processing problems and adds proper graphics and a functional keyboard and mouse support I will hop on that like a fly on shit. Until then, don't expect people to want to macro making a dwarf take a shit on proper toilet.

All I want is an optomized dwarf fortress.I hope that as an old man the game will finally be finished and when I'm 90 or something I can hang out playing a fully finished version of the game I've been dreaming of. That's the dream.

Which one of the both games?

anyways all of them keep getting updates, why pirate a fucking alpha

Bruh, Age of Empires has multiple Z-levels, which affects the range of archers and siege-engines.

Heigh maps are not the same as Z-levels.

Yes they are.

A z axis is a z axis.

Can you have one unit having the same XY coordinates as another but with a different Z? No? Then they aren't the same.

Starcraft has height advantage as well for ranged units and different visions according to it. But it's still not a Z-Level
Armies of Exigo however has an entire subterranean underwork and even attacks that cross the levels and strike the units above\beneath.

Please, do not mix one with the other, otherwise you're gonna end up like those fags that actually think Doom is 3D.

You can't say it's only a half

oh hey look at me I dislike popular games I'm so unique wow just kidding you're just another dumbass hipster

Nothing will ever beat warcraft 3/starcraft custom games. You could dump hours into those things and not notice.

Because you was a teenager with no value of time/quality, now you are a bitter faglord near 30 that hate stuff you don't know

Maybe both newer stuff sucks and WC3 being good is mostly nostalgia?

I think WC3 was good at the time it was made, it was better than other games. Now other games just haven't done shit to make anything better, even a 10 year later SC2 just doesn't impress me at all. I think that is the thing about old games.. when it's new it's cool and when it's rehashed over 15 years with just graphic improvements it's cancer, almost all games suffer the same problem.

It's not that hard when you can be very conservative of everything
Artillery shells ranging from 37mm to 128mm can double as IEDs and work very well when placed next to mines. And if anyone thinks of moving said explosives - place a fuel barrel on top of it, layered with AP mines and you have yourself an impossible to defuse mine. 380mm rockets does this very well.
Dead tanks/vehicles can be pushed around to be used as barricades for infantries or tonks as steel walls. Tank traps can eat up tank shots. 5 layers of barbed wire with improvised AT mines permits impossible movement.
Every infantry can be equipped with machineguns, decoy guns can be placed for the enemy to use - only to rig the bombs.
Countless of ways to set up a defense, how is this hard besides not having the time to set it all up?

Stronghold is such a casual piece of shit game. Zero complexity same build order every single game. It's a fucking phone game before phones got popular. Prove me wrong.

What is going on in this webm?

Niggers testing to see if a iphone can deflect a bat, it doesnt and they beat her for not holding it properly. She promptly dies.

C'mon guys. That game gets frantic at expert difficulty, so long as you can maintain a cash flow.

Ha, jokes on you, I still make custom maps for War3 and play some custom maps with friends.

Is there a sequel where they fuck her corpse?

I read somewhere they are planning another expansion, wanna give some details? I have played nearly 300 hours, fucking great game, certainly far above the swil A devs have been churning out.

Killing people over bread is daily life in BRland but don't you date to rape anything, alive or not or you will end like this guy

I gues BRs are actually feminists

From a response to a negative steam review that was posted a few days ago

And yet, no games

Play that shit. The entire game is about defending against two cheating AI's that massively overpower and outnumber you and progressively get more and more pissed at your continued resistance, with games ranging from a few hours at the easiest to weeks or months with harder settings.

Wheat Farms must be placed on the Valley Floor

AI War: Fleet Command?

do you know which GOG version is the latest one and if it comes with the DLCS?

nice, heart of gold was fun but way too short

who is this?

Defend Europe from the Mudslime horde.