High Standards

I've always wondered.
Do you have that same feeling you did as a kid when you play a new videogame, or is it more rare nowadays? I feel like my standards have skyrocketed for some reason and now I can't enjoy things how I used to. I feel that a lot of games lack creativity and the innovation that kindled that 'magic' I felt when I was a kid. I'm not talking about gimmicks here, but how games pushed forward and it just kept getting better and better until the 7th generation of videogames, that's when it really stopped being good altogether. At the least, the later half.

I always tend to nitpick with what could be better and the overall direction in certain games. It's always either lead me to be slogging through the entire thing with a depressive boredom or dropping it as a whole. The only time I can actually enjoy a game is the uncommon occurrence that I play it with someone else or it's so bad I grin. I know that a lot of veterans have taken a break, or outright quit from making videogames. So that would explain an awful lot.
I'm not alone in this, being in this board of course. It would be a better idea to draw my own things, and hit it off from there wouldn't it? I feel deep in my heart that I crave creativity, not just with the art and style of a game, but the gameplay as a whole. I want to experience something new.

It's because every game is made using either one of the same half a dozen engines or one of the same design structures. The most "unique" games nowadays are only that way in style, never substance.

Damn. So it really ISN'T just me.
Maybe my standards never changed, things really did go to shit.

If valve can make dota out of the half life engine, that is no excuse.

What you are experiencing is natural. It's only a matter of time to get bored with games if you play them for the sake of exploring mechanics. It's for the same reason I often stop playing games once I understand all of it's systems or when I reach the final boss, since I know there's nothing new to explore after it.
Competitive games can still be interesting if they allow different play styles because the novelty comes from the personality of your opponents.

He may be autistic, but he's still got a penis

He's not comparing them, he's shipping them look at the name of the image

Oh.

Well then I agree

The closest I've ever came to that feeling is R6: Siege, which even then is marred with numerous easily fixable solutions. That said, the core gameplay is so goddamn good I cannot put it down even a year later.

Mark, would you fuck Chris IRL?

That isn't even what he said.

Maybe you're just playing the wrong new games. I don't know, every new game I played this year has been fun. Gravity Rush 2 and Nioh were fucking great. Breath of the Wild is fun so far, and I can't wait to play Nier Automata.

Suppose the next step would be learning to program? So I could emulate that same experience I had to a younger generation. One of the things that feels just as good as enjoying the games when I was a kid is watching someone young enjoying them the same!

They're just not what I want. I'm sure they're good, but I feel like there are so many other things that could be explored upon. I want to try something that really looks new. It's a bit difficult to explain, honestly.
It doesn't feel like something that would wow me, that's the problem.
I have enjoyed a few games but not to that satisfying extent I did when I was a kid.

Splatoon was pretty original. I had the feeling back at E3 2014 - they only showed a couple of minutes of Splatoon and I wanted them to stop talking about all their rehashes and show more of this cool new thing. The game really was pretty fresh.

Hopefully Splatoon 2 doesn't fuck up and they make something bigger and bolder than the original.

So you haven't played the games? Gravity Rush 1&2 pretty much capture the feelings I felt playing Spider-Man 2. GR2 is a fucking amazing game.
I dunno, I have more fun playing games than what I did as a kid. Maybe because I avoid playing shit games more than what I did as a kid and avoid shovelware and whatever games my friends played.. Just avoid shovelware and scams, and avoid most western games. Don't expect every game to be the best game ever, and some games are better after you give them some time. I hated Viewtiful Joe when I first played it, I went back and played it almost a year after I first tried it and I fucking loved the game, and not long after I considered VJ2 to be my favorite game.
Maybe you just have depression or you are just playing the wrong games, maybe both.

Fuck you for making me imagine that.

For most modern games I find playing like a reckless madman to be the best way to extract fun out even the most run of mill triple A games.
Alternatively play a game in a different genre you never tried before or go back to play a game in a genre you haven't played in awhile. There's bound to be something you missed and might enjoy with childlike joy again.

I feel like they've even become more formulaic than pedowood shit.

Yea, a lot of companies are run by people that dont know vidya and its just business for them.

considering it's a much younger hobby and didn't have a very long wild west period before capitalists utterly ruined it

Gee I wonder why?

OLD MEN

OLD JEWISH MEN

RUNNING THE WORLD

Which one do you think would be on top? I think Chris would because his ass would be too much for poor Mark to handle. Too much for any man really and I think his "vagina" started to go away after he finally saw a doctor.

I have played those games, they bore me.
It's most likely depression, but I can still enjoy certain games. So maybe I'm just stingy as hell.

I love Gravity Rush. Unfortunately, it's one of the only times in the last decade that I've really had that much fun with a new game. Tearaway and Tearaway Unfolded as well. Ratchet & Clank was fun but it was just the first game with a lot of the best levels removed, yet it was still one of the best games I've been able to find in years. Besides these and Mario 3D World, not since the beginning of the PS3 era have I had as much fun as I did in generations previous, and even then, that's just because trends hadn't quite finished dying out yet (and Ratchet & Clank from 2007 is one of the best in the series).

The fact that 3D platformers pretty much just stopped being made doesn't help. That was my favorite genre. And the fact that games stopped being as colorful and became all brown and grey made things worse. Now we're getting more colorful games, but they're all hipster shit like Overwatch and TF2, and fuck shooters and Mobas and any other online-focused game. The fact that I can't usually play with my friends on the couch anymore is another shit factor, and those types of games helped kill that. Plus, they won't exist once people stop playing. I can go back and play Crash Bandicoot 2 right now and it's still great, regardless of what anyone else in the world is doing.

You aren't depressed. If you were you'd be playing those games repeatedly and desperately trying to find joy in them, maybe even going as far as to so you actually enjoyed it when you didn't.

I do that, but with music.
I think I hate videogames now
and as to what?

Nigger, Doom clones were formulaic, but they're some of my favorite games of all times. The problem isn't that there is a formula, it's that the formula is shit. As for newer game quality, I will say that I have enjoyed some newer games but never felt like any of them were masterpieces the way I feel about Doom or the like.

Please. I would bet more impressive stuff has been done within gmod alone.

Source may be a shit engine, but its limitations conveniently lines up with dota, which in itself is not demanding at all really. In fact, Valve probably could cut 80% of the source engine for the dota version. For example, the BSP trees. They could cut that shit out all together and just add a brush that culls based on where the camera is. You never have like +100 units on screen at a time (minus undyings tombstone and broodmothers spiderlings, but those have really low poly's) so the draw limit is never really an issue. The physics engine that was groundbreaking in HL2 is useless in dota. Hitscanning is also useless minus mouse clicks, and they probably use a different system all together.

People are quick to hurl that criticism at modern gaming.
Ubisoft Ass Creed clone, Cawadoody clone, GTA clone etc.
The rose tinted nostalgia goggles stop a lot of people from noticing the volume of Mario and Streets of Rage clones of the NES/Sega era.
If you have an A-Z of emulated games on your computer you're going to see a lot of reskinned games.

Early PC is where real creativity and innovation happened. Man, some of those ideas and the scope of their ambitions back then was amazing. Now that we have high powered systems beyond the wildest imaginations of early PC devs it seems the creativity is just dead.

I avoid modern AAA trash but i play much more smaller games than i did as a kid and i'm now able to appreciate the little things that make a game good that perhaps is not that highly regarded. Judging by the posts here, i doubt that most of Holla Forums feels this way since this place is crawling with casuals who complain even about PS2 era games being "too dated", at times it feels like i'm reading the Youtube comment section.

You mean Home Computers or IBM PC? Do you even know what you are talking about? I had both a C64 and an Amiga and there was a LOT of trash and the games were also a lot of clones of more successful games.

Also in any case it would be Double Dragon clones, which came out first y'know

oh fuck off

OP – user, you want the magic of unexplored worlds, and with it the unbounded magic of creativity. You have to reach deep within and learn how to craft interesting stories. best of luck.

Meanwhile I'm stuck on a dark souls engine, how do I smooth a 3d angle? REEEEEEEEE fuck if I know. Should be simple shit. It takes effort.

But Mario and Streets of Rage are at least good games, unlike Ass Creed and Cawadoody. That's the key here. Whole genres have died and been replaced with genres that are shit.

Thank you! That means a lot.

If you don't it's because you've grown the fuck up and have secretly realized that it's just a stupid fucking computer game but you're desperately hanging on because there's been nothing else in your life there to replace the void it would leave otherwise.

They're all finely tuned iterations of their genres (Glitchy latest Ass Creed aside). The different is you were young and fresh and excited about everything back then. Now you've been through your childhood, possibly your teens (or get the fuck out) and now you're jaded and can't feel that same excitement for a game no matter what they throw at you.
Also, Streets of Rage and every game like it are actually quit shit.
The only good game of that genre is TMNT4: Turtles In Time because of the variety of gameplay and the great boss fights

I want to believe that games are just going through an awkward phase where devs don't know what they want to be. Like a teenager. Eventually it will grow and bring back the experiments, the effort, the passion. Some day, some day…
I want to believe!

Yeah honestly I don't care for beat em ups either.

That said, no, fuck you. Mario and platformers in general are lots of fun. Assassin's Creed was never fun. It's a boring genre, while fun genres, like 3D platformers, have died out. Normalfags don't care about gameplay, which is what fuels platformers and other fun genres, and we're left with games that rely purely on graphics and story, which are thus boring.

You say "they're all finely tuned iterations of their genres," but the post you're replying to was specifically complaining about the genres. Making finely tuned iterations of shit genres is just polishing a turd.

The problem with the industry is nobody has any standards whatsoever. Even the elitist gamer snobs like us on neo/v/ cannot reliably define any standards for vidya games. The gaymangay's, even though I once supported it and sympathies with it couldn't even define moral standards when they where crying about "effects in gibbing gerbillism". The capitalist/communist liberals that currently run the gaming industry don't want the consumer to have any standards so they can sell whatever snake oil to us without protest as long as they use the right marketing (the journalist) to shill there tripe.

It is one thing to be nit picky and come to expect a certain level of quality from a product but its a whole different thing to have a set of defined standards to measure value. Without those standards then people can dismiss your concerns as just being "a matter of opinion". They can boil every criticism down to being subjective whining. Therefore as autistic connoisseurs of vidya we need to develop a metaphysical standard for videogames that is transcendent of genre that all other games can be measured by.

One autistic user has a thread about the Taxonomy of video games, that i was too lazy to care about reading but they are probably on the right track because each genre of game would likely need its own sub-standards.

None the less, while we might expect alot form video games, it is actually the lack of standards which have been killing the industry. In the past these standards where inherently baked into the nature of computer programing. However as the barrier to entry has lowered to becoming a game maker, so has the quality of people who are making video games. Being that this natrual prohibition is lifted then the necessity of philosophical videogame standards become more apparent.

Reminder dismissing things because "muh nitpick" is a marketing tactic.
Either genuine shill or retard who doesn't know what "bad game" means.

Holy fuck, you're stupidly paranoid. To a very pathetic extent.

I've played games like Super Mario 3D Land, NiER, BOTW, the KH Remasters and other ones that are considered "Good", and I get bored of them quick.
Jesus Christ, you're the true retard here if you are unable to process THAT much. I don't think those are "bad games", I just can't get into them.

Strongly consider suicide

The more shit you experience, the less shit can surprise you. This is true no matter what subject matter you apply it to.
The only way to retain that feeling of wide-eyed wonder and magic is to give yourself severe brain damage such that you can no longer form long term memory.

but he is right user. Read what I said.
The problem is not that you have "High Standards", the problem is you have undefined standards and that the industry has no standards.

WEW LADS, OP is an astroturfer confirmed.

When you've played enough videogames, it's hard to enjoy them just for being videogames anymore. You need something more, you need it to be good or different.

The fist time you played some big AAA trash title you probably loved it, but you can't do that anymore because it's the same shit over and over with a new coat of paint. To me it's painfully obvious how similar all those games are, but it seems most people don't get it.

I agree, with you at least. It's funny how you can actually sway someone by adding more substance to your claim.

If you've graduated your teenhood and/or got a proper job then gaming as a whole will not be satisfactory unless it's fun in quick bursts or episodic. And looking at your list of games that you think it's boring then you meet the criteria. Move on and get a new hobby.

That's pretty much it. You got me.
I want to join animation now, that seems fine. I do think it's jewed up beyond recognition now, sadly.
I want another show like Panty & Stocking. That was by far the best implementation of western & eastern animation I've seen in my life.
I've also been wanting to try and elevate myself spiritually for quite some time now, so I should try mediation among other things.

My hobby right now includes music and some drawing. That's it, I've started jogging the same day I made the thread, but I'm unsure if 'exercise' counts as a hobby.
I've been playing vidya since I was about 3, so It's a bit difficult detaching myself. Especially when I want vidya to improve so badly. It's like doing drugs without actually feeling the high.

The only games I enjoy right now are Cave Story, Pokemon Gale of Darkness, Mario Kart 8, Sonic Generations/Unleashed, RE4, Omega Boost and a bunch of SNES ones. I might take a dip into the PS1 era again. I fucking love the SNES/PS1. There are so many games from there I haven't played. I find my 'Happy Place' in a way by doing so

Also, the Genesis. You don't get multiplayer arcade-like games like those anymore.

This is accurate

too deep man

Post more images of Holla Forums-tan abusing /jp/-tan

I recently got back playing BOTW.
It looks like I'm not completely sick of videogames as of yet.

Maybe, there were a ton of kart racing game clones, platformer clones, and RE clones in the last three gens.

i don't know, what do you call it when you feel nothing but an overwhelming sense of disappointment with every game you see, let alone play?

no