Indies Thread

So are there any 'indie' titles that are worth playing, or are they all just pure dogshit?
I rather liked Axiom Verge and Risk of Rain

Other urls found in this thread:

archive.is/A9x1w
archive.is/K0yGj
archive.is/JWBcg
teleglitch.com/
twitter.com/AxiomVerge/status/796456117786157056
archive.is/0q0kf
remar.se/daniel/iji.php
remar.se/yuka/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

A lot of them are worth playing, not not necessarily worth paying.

only japanese ones.

I smell what you're stepping in user.
Got any suggestions then?
are any actually good enough to pay for?

Off
Oneshot
Haydee
Undertale

Darkest Dungeon, KSP, BeamNG and Automation as all worth a look. This list in in order of completion.

I actually started playing OneShot recently. I pirated it at first, but liked it so much I even bought it and the OST. And now it wont work on Steam because "Content File Locked". So i'm back to playing the pirated one again.

I've never played Off or Haydee though.
Undertale was fun enough at first, but the fanbase completely ruined it. I could never play that game again now.

Off is a basic RPG made in RPGmaker, but a nice story and good atmosphere.

haydee is a puzzle platformer shooter with a thicc android lady for protagonist, made by a single russian dude who built his own engine to make the game.

i want to cum inside niko

If you liked Axiom Verge then maybe you'll like Odallus: The Dark Call.

Indie gaming is fine so long as you avoid SJW nu-male faggot leftists and find stuff made by normal gamers.

TOP 10 INDIE GAMES (according to the average shitty youtube top 10 list)

10. Former Flavor of the Month Freeware game (ex. Knytt Stories)
9. Flavor of the Month indie that everybody's forgotten about weeks/months/years ago at its peak popularity (ex. Chalk)
8. That One Game That Came From That Fat American From Indie Game The Movie
7. My actual favorite game, but nobody will watch the video if this choice is promoted
6. Fez (ft. 5 minutes making apologies about Phish was a genius band despite being a dick)
5. That One Game That Came From That Snobby British Guy From Indie Game The Movie
4. Flavor of the Month game that blew up (ex. Dys4ia)
3. Cave Story
2. Minecraft
1. Undertale

It pisses me off that DF never makes these lists despite being arguably the most impressive indie endeavor.

Oh i've heard stories about this one. How it's pretty much suffering and RNG the game. I like the art for it though.
Physics-based games aren't really my cup of tea.
This looks kind of different and interesting though; I may have to give it a go.

I can appreciate RPG Maker games, i certainly got burned out on them here a while back after wading through the cesspool of new releases on RPGMaker's site. I'll give Off a go though once I get that other ending for OneShot.

Oh right! I forgot what Haydee was for a moment there. That one's been on my list for a bit.

Woah wait, you mean normal gamers make indie games still? Here I thought the Western indie scene was already dead because of those nu-hipster fags.

That aside, I dig this game's aesthetic already.

Cave Story was good at least though.
was Chalk any good? I don't think I've ever heard of it

You can't even consider Minecraft indie anymore though. It started that way, sure, but with how much it's worth, and all it's corporate Microsoft™ backing; it's anything BUT indie.

mein nigga

Odallus is fun stuff, a light medium-difficulty oldschool castlevania-y game with a decent plot.

Give it a pirate or buy it because it aint expensive and it's actually half decent

A lot of the popular games are worth a try, assuming you're not buying them right away. I find that most indie games can actually be decent fun for a while, but the longer I play the more various grievances and missed potentials start to annoy me.

For example Rogue's Legacy was fun for a few hours, but after playing for several runs the whole design of the game started to feel stupid and I could not stand going through the same first level over and over.

That's highly subjective, you should try them and then decide yourself whether they're worth money. I find Nuclear Throne for example definitely worth paying for, it's a very well designed game I think. It's fairly "short" but the replayability is surprisingly high, the difficulty goes very high before you complete a second loop (and thus see all bosses). The devs are supposedly SJWs but I don't give a fuck personally.

Enter The Gungeon is similar, but that's one of those games that start to annoy me the longer I spend with it. I think it's addictive more than it is fun.

Factorio and Rimworld are early access shit and both suffer from lack of endgame, but they're still very fun to play for the gameplay if you're into building games.

(fixed from my old forum repost)

10. Ib
9. Ao Oni
8. Star Citizen
7. I Wanna Be The Guy
6. Terraria
5. Super Meat Boy
4. Amnesia The Dark Descent
3. Braid (super deep guys)
2. Cave Story (omg this created indie games (and
1. Minecraft

people get too triggered over ASCII and the (admittedly always true) clunky-ass interfaces

Chalk was an old-ass 2007-era FOTM. The game itself is a really nice SHMUP (but extremely short IIRC), but it fell from it's short "indie hype crown" in the blink of an eye.
Embed Related for an equally old video

People here underestimate how difficult DF is to get into for the vast majority of people.

Dustforce
La Mulana
Deadbolt
Spelunky
Vagante (early access but it's nearly finished I believe.)

Ask AGDG. Risk of Rain was a AGDG production anyways.

As for finding more Indieshit, there's a handful of website I'd recommend to other anons

"indiegames.com" is pretty stale now, but back in like 2005 all the way to 2011 it showcased some really cool shit, and their archive is still up on their website.

IndieStatik may be dead, but it's 'Spiritual Successor' would be "Warp Door", created by (IIRC) one of IndieStatik's former Chief Editor Chris Priestman. But there's also the older Wayback Machine front page games, which was pretty okay for their time.

"Quarter to Three" was pretty good from what I last visited, but the last time i checked that website out was literally years ago. Well it's alive, I guess.

"Kill Screen" exists, but you'd have to handle their own brand of Pitchfork-tier fart sniffing (I know I can't).

While his posts were way too verbose and up his own ass for me, icycalm's "Insomni.ac" archive is now open for unsubscribed viewers, so now everybody can experience one hell of a contrarian experience.

Hopoo is just about the only noteworthy dev to visit agdg, and he does it at 4chan. He also made Deadbolt.

There's also Cavern Kings I guess.

I keep hearing good things about Nuclear Throne, guess I'll have to just give it a pirate and see from there. I couldn't care about the devs' personal politics as long as they aren't shoehorned into the game.

I'd go for Enter the Gungeon, but there's no fucking online co-op on that. There's local co-op, but not online. which means I can't play it with my best friend who has a toaster

Factorio i've read about. Seems like a pretty good game to dump autism into. But building games aren't usually my flavor.

Looks kinda fun, but I could see myself getting bored of that after an hour or two.

Ib was nice at the time. I really enjoyed The Witch's House too. Ao Oni got stale fast, and Terraria is still pretty good if you got buddies to play with.

oh shit this looks like it might be good. I'll give this a try when it gets a full release.

Couldn't really get into those other ones besides Spelunky, never played that one either.

Cavern Kings looks kind of crazy but it's still early access.

check out gaems from that dev then, they made Deadbolt recently and now working on new take on necromancy, gif related

AGDG doesn't have that many finished games, unless you inlcude people who don't post anymore. I think our threads don't have a single released game.

With it included, Vine is working on like 3 games.

Vagante is pretty sick, similar to Spelunky in terms of level generation. Also made by former AGDG goers before the threads on cuckchan turned sour.

Hopoo dropped that game before he started working on Deadbolt though.

I'll add Momodora reverie under the moonlight, Binding of isaac rebirth, and Botanicula

What a shame.

Neo Scavenger
The Curse Of Yendor
Bit Dungeon 2
Dungeons of Dredmor

jesus christ

Fuck also The Desolate Hope, you barely can go more indie than that

Space Rangers anyone?

Oh really? I was sure it released a long time ago. Huh.

/thread
The developer is batshit insane though but that doesn't really matter as he didn't put any political stuff in it.

had me giggling there

also seconding

He made it before he lost it. I'm not so hopeful about his next game.

What was it again? Racist Ninjas?

Ninja tears, yeah. He mentioned it when he did his AMA here and it sounded reasonable. But since his dad died he's sipped the kool-aid. Twitter really fucking ruins people.

Warbanners are shit, Barbed Wire is where it's at.

no they didn't. some dude who browsed there occasionally did it and put a couple of "references" to it in the game, /agdg/ has never made jackshit and they never will.

wait, isn't this the dude that made FNAF?
that music is pretty catchy though

I'm looking forward to it. I hope it gets a full release soon. It looks like it can run on a toaster too.

What IS Momodora? I can't say I know much of anything about it.

Sure is.

are u retarded?

clearly you haven't played OneShot, user.

Fuck that game. I was done with it years ago and am not returning.

Platformer:
Minarai Mahou Tsukai Fuwaru no Bouken
Fantasy Explorer Nitroid
Lethal Crisis + Proto Sphere
Bunny Must Die! Chelsea and the 7 Devils
Rosenkreuzstilette
Freudenstachel
Megamari

RPG:
Fortune Summoners
Touhou Soujinengi

Shmup:
Lethal Application
Suguri
Sora
Kamui
RefleX
Alltynex 2nd
HellSinker
CCWI
Diadra Empty

the lightbulb is the sun in the game retard

Here are some indie games i know off the top of my head that are good and haven't been mentioned so far:

Middens
Gingiva
Locomalito games (most known examples would be Maldita Castilla, Gaurodan, Hydorah)
Cactusquid games (one half of Dennaton Games who made freeware games has also made Norrland, Mondo series, Clean Asia, etc)

Sometimes anons put some multiplayer threads for RoR, played with some last month.

That's bullshit. 8/agdg/ has finished several games including pics related, and has several devs whose projects are nearing completion (Speebot and MoM being decent examples). That's not even counting things like shitpost games made for #ResistJam or projects devs made before participating in /agdg/ such as Demonsteele, whose developer is working on a space pirate game in GZDoom with shit like whiskey bottle physics.

I remember reading in the AGDG Discord that the Uncanny Valley guy only posted on 8ch to shill it. I might be mistaken. I've never seen Sky Rogue dev post here, though.
I'll give you the rest you've mentioned, those games do look cool. But they're not finished.

user..
imgur.com/rVNstNZ
Imgur is the main image hosting site for reddit, how could you do this?

And nobody should. Their furfag devs made a shilling thread here and when they got called out on it they had a spergout just like EvaXephon/YandereDev. Like literally the exaxt same. They are paperskinned little tumblr snowflakes, they never belonged here and neither did their game. I might have even tried it if the devs didn't act like such irredeemable faggots. Holy shit that thread was bad.

i heard redditors breathe oxygen, UGH.

you should stop breathing too, don't want to be a redditor right?

Maybe I should have said released instead of finished. Red Sky was more of a tech demo for Ika's homemade engine than anything, and Sky Rogue is still in early access, while Hypnorain is finished as far as I know. There's several other games as well that I can't remember right now, and at least one visual novel made by an /a/ drawfag.
I didn't know about the /agdg/ Discord but there's no point in me joining until I make some visible progress in my Irrlicht project.

Redditors type on computers, just like goons! We have to abandon all technology!

Maybe redditors shouldn't be breathing my fucking air.

The discord is made up of the old steam groupchat, as far as I know I'm one of the only people there who browse this place. There's a lot of nodevs so as long as you try it's probably fine.

hollow knight is pretty gud so far

A game that frequently goes on one dollar sales, has a demo and is probably one of the best games of 2013. Ring runner is a game that starts in its first few levels as something that feels like a flash game and quickly evolves into a great 2D space dogfighter with tons of ship and weapon variety. You can have space flails, tractor beams that launch enemies away from you(or towards you), space boomerangs, space magic, good old fashioned lasers and bullets, snipers, stealth n decoy ships, slow down time, fire loads of missiles, discharge your excess heat as a plasma trail that both damages and overheats enemies, and a bunch of other shit that I forgot about. The game is an amazing yet overlooked gem.

48c7526b1427b97a4bf46565f3f804b4b90dcff3

What a stupid mistake they made. Expecting Holla Forums to enjoy video games.

I got to the 2nd area. Only negative I have with this game is that the voice acting is pretty ham, it'd be better without it.

where are the screenshots user

there's talking and then there's shilling ,learn the difference
Here are two devs talking to a community (or at least as close to a community as Holla Forums can get without going full retard)
archive.is/A9x1w
archive.is/K0yGj
archive.is/JWBcg
And then there's shilling which happens in the exact opposite way.Now i wasn't there for what this fag claims but going by your classic default may-may of "le Holla Forums haet vidya" i'm willing to give it a 50/50 chance of actually holding some water ,unless of course evidence is presented

if you talk about a game i don't like for ANY unspecified reason you're a shill.

they're doing the whole fake language Zelda shit, which makes sense but I agree with you

You're looking at Western indie games user. There's your problem. Most are shit with a few exceptions.

Comiket user is that you

No, just some redneck in Arkansas.

How did you fucking know?

Shilling this game, sue me. It's nine bucks on GOG, free of DRM and it is pure Metroidy goodness.

fuck you I shilled that

You're cool. I like you.

no I'm breaking up with you

You two should rub weiners

plus isn't there some bug in the GOG version that prevents anyone from completing the game?

I needed that pic in the OP. thanks faggot friendo.

Off the top of my head:

Downwell is fucking amazing tbh

GOG originally had the old version 1.0.0.5 which had the colosseum bug which prevented you from getting a charm notch and the final weapon upgrade, which in turn means being unable to 100% the game. They've since updated to 1.0.0.6 which fixes the bug, but not retroactively if you already finished the colosseum. The dev is supposedly working on optimization and fixes for the next couple of patches, with 1.0.0.7 currently on steam beta.

Overall it's breddy gud. I downloaded it on a whim just to see what it was and ended up getting a pretty enjoyable Metroid-style platformer. Map was bigger than I thought it would be, mostly unguided progression was a big plus for me. (Having to find the map NPC in each area before you can start filling in the map was annoying though.) I'd say try it out if you can find 1.0.0.6 somewhere. Hard to recommend buying it until they fix some of the more obvious bugs, performance issues and potential softlocks though.

The game does have influences from the souls series, but only on a minor level. Somewhat in atmosphere, but more so in npc interaction and the death system. "Souls-like" is an embarrassing way to describe it though. That's like using the term "Rougelike" just because a game has perma-death.

It only looks this way because the nu-male SJW leftists control the press and they only give any media coverage to their equally faggy friends or other SJW shit like Gone Home. Real indie gaming devs that are actual gamers are still out there, but they're all more or less blacklisted from media coverage unless they make a game about sucking tranny dick at a blacklivesmatter protest.

Intrusion 2
sequel to a newfrounds game

At least it got into the MoMA

the problem lies with performance and 2 cat
the game runs so fast to star that you settle into it expecting it to go that fast the entire game, and then it doesn't and its frustrating

Top-down two-stick cyberpunk roguelike shooter made by the same dudes behind Crimsonland.
It's comfy as fuck. Weapons have punch, levels are randomly generated. It's like a cross between Bubblegum Crisis and Hotline Miami.
It even has a pretty good Vita port.

Teleglitch is pretty fucking great, though for some reason no one seems to remember it, ever.

I know of it
needs 3 GHZ and has low end graphics even if the aesthetic is great that's too much of a hardware requirement

It's a pixelated top-down shooter. You can probably run it in a 2000-era toaster.

teleglitch.com/
every site that sells it says that
I checked, even the ones in rice runes
you either don't remember or don't appreciate a lot of the effects that were in the game
it's not like a SNES game man the dynamic FOV effect and the twisting of the halls as you walk through them would definitely increase performance demand

oh no, its almost like i explicitly mentioned the website went to shit after 2011

lrn2read retard

A+ user
A Fucking Plus

If you like rougelikes and twinstick shooters I say Binding of Isaac is good

I still have fun with that, mainly because I suck and still haven't beaten it

also, dat soundtrack

How the fuck have none of you mentioned Elona?

Its a 2D roguelike style rpg (no permadeath) made by a single Japanese person. The sheer amount of fuckery you can get to in the game is almost as ridiculous as dwarf fortress.

You can become a warrior / mage farmer and rancher megajew, managing a farm as you dungeon dive, waiting for the horses on your ranch to produce babies so that you may brush them over and over and then brutally slaughter them with your katana or shotgun or pair of used panties or a rock in a sock in order to cook their meat, organs, and eyes for insane profits. And then take those profits and buy shit tons of hookers and get venereal diseases, decide that everything needs to die, and place a nuke inside a teddy bear in the largest city in the continent.

Or you could be a snail, and get killed as soon as a janitor sees you and throws salt at you.

La-Mulana
Risk of Rain
Dustforce
Cave Story
AM2R, I guess?

just off the top of my head

Y'all niggas disappoint me greatly.

Furi. It's a brawler/bullethell hybrid and is immensely fun. It's composed of only bosses and they are each their own uniquely designed encounter with three to seven phases. Several outlets gave it unfavourable reviews because they couldn't beat 'The Strap' (boss #2) but aside from the optional boss the difficulty is actually in that sort of sweet spot of satisfying when you beat it but not frustrating.

Pic related is 'The Line' a psychic boss who reflects your attacks, can stop time and somehow wield a huge buster sword , and 'The Burst' who is a sniper boss that deploys drones and landmines to slow you down. Fun game overall.

Everything from Arcen. Mostly strategy games where short term goals knit into long term goals. AI War and Last Federation are the best ones I think. Everything is for Linux as well. It's so wrong that they have financial troubles when AAA trash makes millions.

Thanks for all these suggestions guys. I finished getting that other ending in OneShot, so now I can move on to Odallus.

I remember playing this a year or two ago. It wasn't too shabby, but I couldn't bring myself to play it for more than a few hours.

Binding of Isaac isn't fun anymore, I must admit. It's pretty stale for me now, even having played Afterbirth.

sounds like a pretty versatile game.

I've been playing AM2R off and on, I love it to bits. Only reason I haven't pushed through and beaten it yet is because I'm playing other stuff.

Do tell us about it then user

Oh i've forgotten about this one, it looks pretty nice.

It's (Elona) also weird as fuck. You can romance and fade-to-black sex any npc in the game, including lolis and t-rexes. The gods are quirky as fuck too. One of them is a borderline retard who thinks she's a cat.

user the dev is some hyper light drifter fetishist who goes to Tumblr, there's no way she even knows about this place, let alone comes here.

Has anyone ever made a good indie j-style RPG? Not RPGmaker.

user if you're tired of Isaac, you should try out Antibirth, it's better than afterbirth dispite having like half the content.

I despise this game. Aesthetics aside, I thought the gameplay was shallow and repetitive.
Did I do something wrong? I've seen a couple of anons liking it before so I just wonder if it's rather me, instead of the game.

Is it really indie since it had publishers and shit? Regardless, one of my favorite gaems right there

Also, get ALLTYNEX Second. It's the tits.

Considering how your arsenal is pretty varied and none of the weapons are completely useless, I fail to see how Teleglitch can be called shallow. Maybe you should give it another chance.

Dude it was produced by fucking WB what the fuck are you talking about?

Supergiant is an indie dev, their other game transistor was made just by them.

u wot m8?
After almost 600hr in rebirth and 200hr in original I still can't stop playing TBOI, best game I ever dun did played.
Then again, I'm a completionist…

user you have a problem.

Probably unrelated, but does anyone have a link to OneShot's soundtrack? Shits good and I want it in .FLAC

Two of my favorite indie games came out last year with basically no fanfare: Pharaoh Rebirth, and ICEY.
It's a one-man metroidvania game, set in a modern-day Egypt and starring an archaeologist trying to break a pharaoh's death curse. There's two playable characters and a shit-ton of different levels set all over Egypt, and some of the areas are just fantastic.

It's a side-scrolling story-centric character action game; not quite DMC, because there's only one weapon to use, but something close to it. There's a robot girl who wakes up in a post-calamity city, with a mission to track down the son of a bitch Judas who caused the city to be this way. There's also a narrator who tells you what should happen next, like in The Stanley Parable, and like in that game, you can choose to actively disobey the guy and see what's hiding behind the scenes. But the stuff you find when you break the game doesn't just give you joke endings, it actually expands the true story and reveals secrets about Judas, the city, and apparently Hastur, the yellow-headed stepchild of the Lovecraft mythos. Plus, the developer recently released a bonus story DLC for free.

Spess Rangers is AA, a market that does not really exist anymore in the west.

The X series up until TC or Sins of a Solar Empire are other examples of AA.

Ignoring ding's kool-aid drunkenness Lisa is really good for what it is. If you think on getting the sequel, get the Arkantos mod.

Rule the Waves is pretty tame as far as autism-simulators go, it's not the dry spreadsheet simulator it looks like in screenshots. Most of the boring shit is abstracted away or handled by the game, you just design ships, play 20th century politics and blow things up.

Aurora 4x and Rule the Waves are super fun. I have about 700 hrs in Aurora and 70 in RtW. I just finished a week long battle in Aurora. It was only a few hours in game.

you're getting paranoid and baiting for a fight nigger, here's what I did to get that gif: I googled "hopoo games skeletons" and got one, who gives a shit about a filename

I played it but just couldn't get into it.

That let's play japan thread a while ago was 11/10 though.

Yes, the desolate hope is from the FNAF's maker

Momodora is a cute, non lethal Castlevania clone with main weapon being a maple leaf. Excellent pixelart done right.

Fuck, wrong embed

it's still very "modern" pixel art. Minimalism isn't appealing.

Did that vault door or whatever it was get released? I wanted to pirate the game, but didn't want to play through two different versions. Decided to wait until a new download link was available instead.

minimalism was appealing as a one off when nobody else was doing it or started doing it out of laziness

good enough for me, the fluidity makes up for it

Dude it was published by fucking WB what the fuck are you talking about?

This is the literal definition of "not indie"

Fortune Summoners is gr8, m8.

Maybe I will. Guess I'll install it.

Disc Jam. Is good.

Nuclear Throne comes to mind.

Anything by Zachtronics

Fair enough, it's not for everyone.
That's why I got the game.

I wonder where the redsky guy is, he said he was going to redo his whole engine.

Underrail is an alright cRPG.

t. Dutch Muslim

+lots of enemies
+metroidvania and the game is fluid
+bosses are fun
+they built a cute yet interesting lore and background world

-No reason to explore since the only incentives are Geo veins/storages
-Maps of areas aren't finished like in super metroid (besides secrets) so it can get annoying. Whole point of map and purchasing it is getting the map, not just half of it.
-enemies are not worth killing because they drop so little geo even though theyre in higher level areas. They could be hard enemies and sometimes drop no geo, so its pointless to fight.
-fallin in water or spikes triggers black screen interrupting gameplay
-getting damaged interrupts gameplay with "epic" time-stop moment. Even more annoying, the sound modding to make it sound "epic" is even more annoying. Interrupts gameplay
-No weapon customization. No other weapons in general besides your sword slice.

Is Blaster Master Zero any good? I want to know before I buy it on my Switch

I haven't played Hollow Knight, but I'm guessing its purchasable maps are like Castlevania's. They're there for a first-time playthrough and to set you along the right path, but still leave enough uncharted so that you have to find your way instead of just following a map.

It's like pure unfiltered cancer

Bandit is underrated. Best attack speed, decent damage, and lights out to reset cooldowns just kills.

You do realize we found out imgur was fucking our servers a while back right?
Of course not, you fucking astroturfing nigger

My nigga. But the bandit in your picture need a space suit helmet, too.

funny way to call it. Anyway the answer is Soujinengi.

Well it might not be made by actual japs, you know?

Umihara Kawase

i didn't disagree with you , i've just never heard of that place before

That ain't KFS

Muh nigga

Has anyone played Hellenica or Shadows of Adam? Are they good RPGs?

Also I'm recommending the new Shmup Gryzor made Fire Arrow Plus

I haven't been keeping up with the dev's identity politics as of late, but The Fall is a pretty great sci-fi adventure game. It's all about artificial intelligences, and the extents they'll go to to circumvent their own programming, and the nature of morality and all that shit. Plus the second episode should be coming out soon, it was advertised as one of the titles coming to the Switch.

If you own a Switch you should buy it if only because it's something to play besides Zelda and Fast RMX.

cancer made by sjews

shit
sasuga op, time to kill yourself

i hope you get fucked by many T H I C C cocks

both shit and cancer, join op and off yourself you fucking faggot

this

fuck off shill

Archive or fuck off, user.

Axiom Verge is decent.
Risk Of Rain is shit.

Binding of Isaac, Spelunky and Terraria are all you need, fam.

Add to that
Starts out kind of engaging but once you amass enough power ups it's just button mashan your way through the final stages as everything around you dies.

Maybe people need more games that have actual solid foundation, and don't rely on procedural generated levels to avoid having to come up with good designs.

By that definition, Lego Worlds is a roguelite.

Okay, yes, granted it's not permadeath or anything else, but the guy's still saying the only indie games that matter are games with procedural generation instead of actual levels with thought-out design and enemy placement and patterns.

Wew lad. Do you also think Bioshock Infinite is the Citizen Kane of videogames?

Your post just got more and more euphoric as it went on!

Sick fedora tricks, bro.

That's cause it's just like what people hate about Undertale, if you saturate something you liked until it becomes a plateful of dogshit and you get sick of it, you've ruined your own favorite thing for yourself. 40K was beloved 4 years ago, now people roll their eyes and groan when a 40K thread pops up, because Games Workshop has oversaturated video games with 40K and it's gone from being a awesome but rare thing to a same old same old overly common thing.

You have a point, only around 6-7 of them were actually worthwhile, and most of them made by Japs.

I honestly don't get what you're trying to say about Steamworld Heist. Are you saying it's not a strategy game? It seems to have all the trappings of one, aside from the side-scrolling and free-aiming mechanic. Are you saying it's not a good game? I mean, it's not shit.

Or are you just so autistic that you think three games with "infinite possible gameplay experiences" is somehow a substitute for a good handful of unique games?

Is this a meme? Most AAA games are shit. (Yes, most indie games are shit, but there are far more indie games than AAA games). Here's some good indie titles off the top of my head:

Barony is a pretty good attempt at a 3d crawl game.
Spacechem is a fantastic puzzle game.
Stardew Valley is a very good harvest moon clone.
Dustforce is an extremely polished platformer designed with completionists and speedrunners in mind.
Don't Starve is quite a good survival/crafting game.
The Inner World is a good point and click adventure puzzle game.

Reminds me that the Axiom Verge dev drank the koolaid along with Aces Wild's dev and Ding-A-Ling.

twitter.com/AxiomVerge/status/796456117786157056

archive.is/0q0kf

There could be, but Indie games are effectively killing Steam.

Try and search for a game on Steam and you'll be flooded with 1000 shitty, poorly made indie titles before you get to a decent game. Because Valve never implemented QC, and now the only way to know if a game is good is to pirate all things and hope you get lucky.

I would say Endless Series but they are sellout to SEGA.

I miss the days when devs just hosted their games free on their websites to show off the cool shit they've made, rather than try to be the next hottest shit and jew out to the public as much as they can. Not only that, indie barely means independent from publishers anymore, it's mostly games made by hipster faggots in university cliques, which are usually published by a different company. They arent independently-made games, they're A or AA titles at most.

fuck off

well you can blame that on the new hordes of chinese/russian/indian botnets that spam the shit out of websites

i know of one dev that has a barebones website, where he'd only get a few hundred hits, and on his Youtube channel no less. But a quick peek at the "Active Users" is a bullshit ~75 spammers clinging to his website as deadweight on his server.

You know, ignoring the memes, Guacamelee is actually a well constructed game.

There are many things I'm saddened by

* iPhone / iPod Touch / Android killed free flash games
* Kickstarter / Steam Greenlight killed genuine freeware / shareware
* Patreon killed art commissions (you can't hire your favorite artist anymore, you subscribe to his fucking patreon at a ridiculous tier and get in queue)

And now thanks for that, botnets killed self-hosted websites so now everyone has to get on fucking twatter and tumbler

Or you could also

take a look at the positive/negative review ratio;
read said user reviews on the game's page;
check some videos on youtube;
see what people are saying about it on comments and discussion boards;
actually check to see if there's a demo available.

There are more tools than ever to know if a game is what you're looking for. You can actually use your head for five seconds and take advantage of that fact or you can whine about how "now" is always terrible and all you can do is hope to get lucky with some contrived solution nobody actually follows.

Speaking of Yume Nikki, how dead is Uboachan nowadays?

Not true, lots of artists still do commissions.

What's worse are the people who defend them.

> remar.se/daniel/iji.php (The Game)
> remar.se/yuka/ (Faux blog from the perspective of one of the aliens made pre-release. Contains some spoilers)

Iji is one of those games that came out at the very beginning of the indie boom, but didn't catch on with the larger audience despite how fantastic it was. The game stars a confused 16 year old girl that wakes up from a coma six months after an alien race successfully annihilates the majority of the human race, and features hotdrink guzzling aliens, cool guns, a full rock soundtrack, voice acting (thankfully not for the cutscenes), cheesy in-universe advertisements, and in-universe secrets/easter eggs out the ass. Basically, imagine if someone put Tyrian and Doom2D together.

Now, you may be wondering why it's not more popular, in spite of the fact that it has all these amazing things.
This changed recently, since Dan pushed out update 1.7 a few nights ago, which was compiled in a slightly later version of Game Maker. It can still have parts with framerate dips since it's built in pre-studio Game Maker, but it's much better than before.
The Update that makes Iji stop running like utter trash is live, folks
Even Dan has voiced the fact that he thinks a lot of stuff looks like ass. He made models for every character in an ancient version of Blender and posed them to make the sprites, did some clean-up work afterwards. Some stuff looks like shit, but it's passable shit in my opinion.

Careful, you'll attract the controls rebinding autist who thinks it's a sin to like that game.

BYE BYE HUMAN KIND

GLORY TO THE KOMATO!

no idea why it ruffles people's feathers.

iji is like a 6/10.

here's a good sidescroller

no really you should keep an eye on this game

What game?

Sakuna by Edelweiss (fairy bloom freesia, astebreed)

cute little girl

Deathroad to Canada

It's an Oregon Trail like game where you try to escape the zombie apocalypse by reaching Canada. Game has a lot of humor, the music is good, good variety in gameplay.

fun game

This is the song user. WebM soon.

I though commissions were still alive on DeviantArt

If a game with all of that is merely slightly above average to you, I'd love to see what video games you've been playing. They've got to be absolutely amazing.

why does nu/pol/ attract so many redditors? fucking lurk, man.

thanks but i'll pass

iji is dogshit

gameplay-wise looks bretty gud, but the environments and enemies look generic as fuck

100% of freeware on itch.io is trash though

why does Holla Forums attract so many sjw apologists? fuck off back to reddit, man.

drink bleach you fucking mongoloid