Shenmue thread

If you've ever played Yakuza, you might like Shenmue. Shenmue is essentially the origins of Yakuza as a game, and the protaginist even looks like a younger Kiryu, but instead of street brawling, the game focuses around OG chinese and japanese martial arts and the like, with the main character expanding his movelist by finding martial art scrolls and such.

The game itself is very similar in philosophy to how Yakuza plays out, with one difference, your character, Ryo, fights MUCH more realistically.

In that the meta of the battle is to not get hit at all and counter, and you can't run all over the place because it would consume too much energy. Instead the enemies must come to you, and you have to strike them or counter them, going into a fight mashing the attack button will fuck you over.

Which makes one of THE most common "dungeon" type fights that Yakuza pulls into a legitimate challenge instead of a Heat action filled hilarious situation, at least it was to me as a kid. Not so much now since i'm not shit at games like I was as a kid. Included is a video of the fight.

The sheer scale of enemy after enemy that the game throws at you, with bosses being thrown into the fray, the music choice that seems practically designed to mesh with the flow of combat and to get you to a place of zen, the sound design and sheer echo of each powerful hit, it's easy to understand exactly why people want Shenmue 3. This game has heart and soul. It has some of the best sound design i've heard.

Shenmue thread.

Other urls found in this thread:

gematsu.com/2017/02/rumor-shenmue-ii-hd-remasters-due-2017
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Can someone please post the bird webm?

I was too young and dumb to give a shit about the story and played Ryo like a NEET. Spent allowance on dumb figurines, fuck around in the arcade, played Space Harrier at home.

Does Shenmue emulate well?

I always used to master the fuck out of insane moves in the so-called park in Sakuragaoka proper, I think near the barber shop. I seem to recall some kind of kick that just about one-shotted non-boss enemies.

Ah well, it's been over ten years, closer to twenty since I've played it. My first disc is fucked, despite having it resurfaced once. I'll see about getting it done two or more times, see if that sorts it.

Shenmue HD when

The first Yakuza absolutely had a lot of heart and soul and is also the closest one to Shenmue design wise, I find it kind of sad that SEGA has whored out the series with countless sequels and even more so that many kids right here in our Holla Forums have admitted that Y0 was their first Yakuza game and they didn't even got to experience Y1 like I and many others did.

never

It'll be sadder when Kiwami and its terrible soundtrack is how they play the first game and they never experience the magic of the original's dub STUPID OLD FUCK

This

DETECTIVE DA-TEYH

YOU'RE WALKING TOO FAST
SLOW DOWN
WAIT FOR ME

Don't hurt me like that
Honestly, I can't figure out why there isn't already a Shenmue digital release. The Sony e3 hype would have been the perfect time to rush a cheap port out the door, and Sega seemed to love re-releasing their cult shit for a while there while skipping anything Shenmue

Good
Yakuza 1 is the worst game in the series especially in the US with its cancerous "localisation"

Is there any place left for someone like me on the internet when retarded fucks like you are invading my board? Just kill yourself

If you really can't deal with conflicting opinions then tumblr might be more suitable for you
Go retreat back to your safespace. Your absence will actively improve this board.

gematsu.com/2017/02/rumor-shenmue-ii-hd-remasters-due-2017

You are just another contrarian nigger who is always on the look to spout and stir shit by proclaiming that X thing that is highly regarded by anons is shit, if anyone should go to Tumblr then its special snowflakes looking for validation to their hipster opinions like you.

Hope they get to PC and they aren't shitty ports. If they're going with HD/Remastered I hope that means they will put in some actual effort, all the little details really deserve it.

Literally everything I said is widely accepted and acknowledged
Just because you have a scat fetish doesn't mean that people with vanilla ones are hipsters

Also
go back to cuckchan faggot

Dude, chill. You gotta at least admit that the dub wasn't particularly good and very cringe-worthy. I fucking love Y1 to death but the dub seriously kills any semblance of seriousness for me. I love some hockey-ass voice acting myself, but I really wish there was an option to play with nip voices.

He's not wrong, really. It's fairly important to know the roots of something and see how a thing has changed over time for good or bad. Being underage is no excuse. Nice fucking English, by the way.

I hope it's dual audio.

The game is functional, but I've had it crash a couple of times on both nulldc and demul. Savestates are recommended.

I tried getting into shenmue but I want to play a VIDEOGAME instead of watch a movie with some minigames.

He's not wrong. Yakuza 1 plays the worst, sounds the worst, looks the worst, and has the most archaic gameplay of the bunch. Kiwami is a direct improvement in almost every way.

Seems like there's only one person trying to be the hipster here, chum.

Yakuza games can be made more difficult when you unlock expert, use no defense items, no healing, and championship ring. Though it doesn't excuse the low difficulty by default.

Shenmue 2 is way harder than the first. Especially if you don't transfer your skill levels. You can't spam attacks most of the time.

The soundtrack isn't that bad. It has some new songs that are really good.

Any news on Shenmue 3?