Playing Everest Game in VR w. Vive

Just set it up my Vive VR yesterday, including base stations (may have put them too close to my PC because I have the green, square field in my field of view but I think it can be turned off while sitting).

Just set it up, have been awake all night messing with it. The Google Earth stuff and the tours of cities are cool as shit, es. for an agoraphobe like me. In a way, it's a good thing it's priced as high as it is because it's definitely de facto still in beta and I'm going to have to do a lot of work on it myself as I get time.

Anyone else have it set up and have any thoughts? Originally was leaning toward Occulus but as soon as scumbag Zuckerburg bought it, that was me done, everything he touches turns into a datamining operation of shit.

There is real, real fucking potential with this if it's done right some of the experiences are just fucking amazing, but my fear is they won't be able to raise enough capital to make it good enough to where it has interesting stuff (IMO would be great for…things like archaeology, recreating history (imagine life in a Pompeiian villa as seen through VR?) without getting too far into pron and degeneracy.

But back to original question, anyone have the Everest Climbing application set up for Vive? In back of my head wondering if one Titan is enough to handle the graphic on this monstrous system I built (a few in my grad program at uni suggested SLI with 2 Titans, but that felt like fucking overkill).
Any thoughts appreciated. And please, save the "fuck you, you are x or y…" We're talking technology (and not even games), don't need to be dicks (which, of course, ensures that everyone who doesn't have shekels for this will unload on me. so be it).
\
Any thoughts or help re: Vive or the Mt. Everest app/game in particular would be greatly appreciated. thanks.

Other urls found in this thread:

archive.is/MwXvO
gdconf.com/conference/vrsessions.html
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

smug anime girl thread?
smug anime girl thread

Get Onward

addendum- they updated the software 2x so far in the ~22 hours or so I've had it. from what I hear, this is to be expected. Luckily, they added Blue Tooth for the base stations do don't need to get on a chair, unscrew, and attack it to a mini-usb to change anything.

I'm just barely scratching surface with this, but goddam it could be fun if (((they))) don't shut it down quickly. IMO, nut going to like the other recent fads (kinect and all the other shit) because this fundamental changes in how you interact.

For example, the only real fun aspect of Xbox one and "connect" was in "ryse
and being able t use your voice to call for a volley of arrows, which I learned setting up nephew's nintendo one at grandmother's house on Christmas eve.

Granted, I'm less than a day into this but it's so fucking cool and has so many uses…in ways, I'm glad it costs so many shekels right now since it keeps the 85 IQ "just looking to get my rocks off" crowd away long away that maybe something genuine cool can be done with it without appealing to lowest common denominator.

For those who forget, 10 years ago, why was the internet fun? It was EXCLUSIVE. The shabbos goy didn't dare vention off AOL or whatever they used. This is another example where something has the chance to be EXCLUSIVE. IF you are serious and know your shit, watch e-bay and other sites and wait for one of the hipster scum with too much money and no brains to get tied of their "toy" and then snatch it up. Just my advice, I expect to get cursed at, mocked, etc.. but the opportunity is real to create something cool….

*"Kinect" (I assume 99.9% would know what I meant but nevertheless would be someone who point it out and mock over and over).

The best VR experience available is Project Cars + wheel and pedals.
Other sims are pretty good but I'm waiting for improved res before I buy in as it's hard to read gauges / MFDs on the current models.

Thanks friend. Just read the reviews. Now first on my list. Going to get this afternoon. Cheers..

Actually was looking into this last night as well. Trying to decide how much a decent gas/brake replica would be.

Have a private pilot's license from time I spent working in South Africa. Would love to get some sort of Flight Sim setup, but going to save up for a while.

Tried to avoid STEAMing Pile of Shit so as not to trigger an autistic rant. As one example, yesterday, made a purchase. They sent receipt with correct name, even the banner of proper game. Was so fucking angry, tried calling their non-800 number (good look getting through).

Eventually, got in touch w. them via net and the cocksucker hd the balls to BLAME ME (!!!), despite these motherfucers sending me a recpeit for correct game and then providing wrong one.

Finally, to keep from making myself a story on the evening news, I simply applied for a refund, waiting to see what happens (I literally never opened the fucking game they sent). If they start shit over this…

"Steam" has been a fucking joke since day one and my bet bet, if you dig deep enough, you'll find a Jew at bottom of it all and various tax schemes, money laundering, the work. Crooked bastards. Wish there were an alternative. Actually, would love to try creating one myself. "Steam" is absolute fucking trash from top to bottom. Even the 2 local ppl I've dealt with casually have been such fucking twats that words cannot do them justice.

Just quick survey– has anyone, when dealing with Steam, ever had a positive or just neutral experience? Even when I try to be nice, it's like the fucker are trianed to try to start conflict. If I'm wrong and others here actually have had OK interactions with em, please do tell me.

The only time I have ever had to deal with them was when I wanted a refund on civ6. They did it the next day without any issues so my only experience with their support is positive.

I own the vive too, I still refuse to buy any software on steam, I just use the account to get free stuff, for the rest there's IGG Games.

If you want to play some rounds with me next week or so hit me on steam. DokoMaster, been using VIVE since its release month.

Get Honeyselect and Monstergirl Island and play in a locked room. Never jackoff in VR when you are not in a locked room.

cool, will save the name mate. Going to take me a few days to get it properly set up and ten will def. look you up.

Thanks bud, saved for future reference. Monstergirl looks like it's only for Rift though. Going to investigate the other one. Thanks though, good to know I'm not only one struggling to make this goddam thing for properly in what's clearly a beta form.

Anyone know if they have a flight simulator yet? With the right equipment that would be fucking amazing (the driving simulators supposedly already are but just not my thing).

The full version of VR Kanojo is out on IGG.

Have the Vive and it works for it. You might need to find the latest version. They dev has it locked behind a patreon.

Back in 2008 they were nice.
I was naive back then, and got phished. Valve support told me to just send them a scan/photo of my orange box cd-key with my username written on the card and they then handed control of the account back to me.

WHILE I HAVE A THREAD ON THIS TOPIC:

OK, so the green…"force field" of lines keeps making its way into my vision. If I try to move my desk 4-5 feet, going to be moving extension cords, sorter protectors, speakers, like a fucking day of work just to movie, never-mind to get out my tools and set up a new outlet in the right place.

I haven't been able to throughly look through the options. Is there a way to turn OFF the green "force field" fucker when I'm seated and exploring cities with one of the wands or…..am I going to need to do all the moving and electrical wiring this weekend and it's just tough shit?

Apologize in advance if by chance any of these are "Retard level" questions I somehow missed/ Don't think so but trying to juggle so much shit I can't discount it. thanks…

Yeah, it's in the options when you're in the Vive. Set the chaperone(U+200B was here) to dev mode and there will be no lines.

Not to get melodramatic or that I humor myself in thinking anyone cares but according to my oncologist have another 3 years at most. The other option was 2 Nvidia 10__, which ended up coming out to over 2k in total.

In sum, and given my attitude, the Titan seemed the best deal. If I'm wrong…kek, odds are will never know it.

feels bad man. But, to compensate me, rather than piss shekels away going around the US seeing doctors looking to spend an extra few weeks in misery or begging for shekels on a "go fuckyourself" account, I've embraced it and took my life savings and put it toward a 38" Samsung monitor to play vidya on"

Thanks mate, copying this down right now…

OH, if you are still here mate….do you know the difference between Vive and Steam? I mean, yes I get that Steam is an independent company that sells games and Vive is part of the company that built the VR. But often times, they seem to invoke one another in ways that makes it hard…maybe since they are only ones selling VR shit really ( I now, there are some small exceptions). IDK…

He should check /hgg/ then.

Those lines are so you don't smash your fucking arm in to a desk.

The Vive is HTC's hardware that uses SteamVR. Other companies will be coming out with headsets the use SteamVR. Because of that the hardware should be intercompatible.

Not sure about that. You can see through the lines really (they're small) and according to instruction booklet, apparently was meant to set it up such that the green lines did not interfere with desk. Going to try what user told me above and try shutting them off when at my desk and fucking with a game or whatever.

Yeah, the lines are only useful for roomscale games. When you setting down with a controller, wheel, or joystick they're useless.

Thanks, that was actually concise and made sense. But does make me worry if other sets (assuming they have more capital) are going to find a way to make the software ""least compatible" with the Vive. I was meant to do this for a living and if I found out anything, it's that does old cunts in the judiciary don't know shit about tech. the women know even less.

LG just announced their SteamVR headset. Looks like it's just going to be another Vive with a flip up higher res screen. I think Valve is working pretty closely with all the companies making a headset with SteamVR, so they should be pretty on spec. I think their goal was you could use any mix of headset, lighthouse, and controller from different companies.

you're the user who loves to talk about taking xanax and playing vidya, aren't you? you always use the same OP picture.
go away.

That works for me then I suppose. It seems like they left a lot of leeway as far software updates, since they probably realize people aren't going to put down $900 shekels each year for the same/similar device. I think what everyone is really waiting for is something that…if not shaped like a gun, at least sort of feels like one so in VR it could be used that way credibly.

The GDC (Game Development Conference) ended on March 3rd and they showed VR stuff. Have heard some stuff but waiting to see friends tomorrow and hear what the next years looks like.

If you are into the industry, trying to get a summary of the new developments and will post when I get. This has the address on it if you want to go through the topics and speakers:

archive.is/MwXvO

gdconf.com/conference/vrsessions.html

How is that $800 paper weight?