Enjoying smaller games from the past

Do you ever look back at games that you didn't care much for back in the day because you were playing something bigger and more highly regarded only to be warmly surprised by it? Let me tell you a little about these games.
What overlooked older games have you been playing? I believe that most older games (except for shovelware) are at least worth a look for whatever reason, there was always some sort of charm to them that keeps me entertained, its cool to look at the little details of a game. The best part is thanks to the wonders of emulation, i didn't end up paying a cent for these games that i would have otherwise ignored completely

Shameless self-bump

Mostly been playing the sega saturn library. easily one of the best systems around.

Best game comin thru, looks great on a CRT

i dunno, cotton boomerang was amazing

The hyena and elephant always scarred me in Silicon valley, I could never progress past those levels. I would just continually start a new level everytime I played, the sheep were cute and fun to play with so I didn't mind the repetition.

The NGPC library is great, at the risk of sounding like someone who won't stay in the NGPC thread. Seriously, Gals Fighters is a good fighting game and the SvC card games are like a less complex and autistic form of MtG with all the added benefits of not supporting WotC.

Now if only I could get networking on a NGPC emulator. Are there any GBC/GBA emulators with decent netcode? I'd love to play Pokemon TCG GB2 with people.

Forgot to mention, this game is pure platforming awesomeness, the NES version is the best one and it's hard as hell

Play Ninja Five-O for GBA if you haven't.

Your mom was smaller in the past, and I enjoyed her.

The sheeps were cute as hell

IMO this is the perfect casual game
>as
FUCK

Sega Saturn

Really though, Legend of Oasis could beat up Zelda's daddy. I've been wanting a sequel to that game for over a decade.

great games, but the real question is would you pay over $60 dollarydoos? Or is this the only thing that will run on GNU? Also for your consideration. Isn't it nice to be alive in a time when you can download approximately $40k to $50k dollars worth of Nintendo Entertainment system games in approximately 11 seconds? What I would have given to be a Kid in the 80's will access to all 714 official titles as well a Foreign imports.
couldnt be bothered to adjust for inflation on the last too pictures.
While DLC is shit, now you know why publishers are selling it.

Yeah but at least rental was still a thing back then.

Here's a game I rented one weekend, had a bit of fun with, but never really went back to until years later when I saw a guy on the street with a table full of old games selling it. Picked it up and gave it a real shot, and it held up better than I remembered. I think as a kid I was annoyed that the character's glide didn't have as much forward momentum as Spyro's, resulting in me dying a lot. The game is certainly harder than most 3D platformers from the era, but now I can appreciate that difficulty. It's not as polished as something like Spyro or Crash, (it clearly borrows a lot from Crash Bandicoot, but with more open levels like Spyro, though I think Spyro came out later) but if you're looking for more like that, this is a great game to try. Also, the halloween atmosphere is a lot of fun. Definitely an overlooked title that deserves more attention.

But that's NOT why they're selling it. They're selling it because it precludes resale, rental, or otherwise. But hey, you know, whatever. Muh inflation.

and because of inflation you silly fool. Why are you setting up such a fallacious false dichotomy? Do you think the cost of game development has gone up or down in the last 30 years? Why produce a AAA game now for $60 bucks when you could have charged $70 to $80 (adjusted for inflation) for an 8bit NES game with only 8 levels? The market demand is that new games are fixed to a $60 price point, they need to make up for this loss by cutting the content into DLC expansions. Remember Street Fighter 2, Street Fighter 2 Turbo etc? They where all Full price $60 dollar games back in the 90's.

true, but the internet killed the video and videogame rental store and now we can virtually download all their products for free.

Not the good ones. PCfags always talk about how PC is best always, but I can't play Tearaway or the new Ratchet & Clank on Windows, and those are the only games I've truly enjoyed in years.

My nigga. It`s a fantastic game.

implying people don't mod their systems to pirate consul games. you don't deserve the dubs user.

I didn't realize you could do that on PS4. Usually it takes until the console is many years old before that becomes doable. It's only in some cases, like recent Nintendo hardware, that it's much easier.

I mean good luck trying to pirate Saturn or Xbox shit. You need to physically mod the actual console, and in the case of Saturn, that's not the easiest or cheapest console to get a hold of, which makes physically altering it something that you might not want to do.

just wanna make sure it's not a later RVL-101 red wii model. Doesn't look like it cuz the top flaps appear to be present.

uhh somehow I posted in the wrong thread.

Anyway, Saturn involves no physical modification and Xbox is a very easy mod that only requires a game, usb cable, and compatible usb device. Very cheap overall, Saturn should cost you about $25 for the AR cartridge, Xbox about $20 for all the tools, and from there it's easy peasy.

Yes, but my original point was that even these methods took many years to come about.

xbox not really, and saturn always had the swap disc method pretty much. Although AR is new, it's very convenient.

Are you telling me I could have been easily pirating Xbox games when Xbox was still current? Because I fucking missed out, then. I never heard about that shit until years later. Hell, I might have gotten a Saturn if people knew about this shit during the brief period when Saturn was alive in North America.

Yeah, i was playing San Andreas pirated when it came out on my old exbawks.

Oh and I just remembered getting your PS1 to play "import" bootlegs disk was all the rage back in the late 90's. I remember playing Thrill Kill on my friends Playstation. I don't know about this immediate current generation but I bet if renting games was as popular today as it was back then someone would be working out a way to Jailbreak even the PS4 and Xbone.

what game ?

If renting games was as popular, the demand for pirated would surely go down.

And yeah, a couple like the PS1 and Dreamcast were particularly easy to pirate for (especially Dreamcast), but that wasn't the norm.

Reminds me about this old post, and just how wrong it inevitably wound up being.

Well he was right that PS2 piracy wasn't really a thing until years later. Honestly most of what he said is correct past the first two paragraphs.

Who is the first most wrong man in the world?

It's more that in retrospect he became really, really wrong, and piracy is most definitely still a thing in Current Year +2.

Wrongest man is pic related.

Oh shit, yeah I have that same file saved with the same name and everything. Yeah that guy was way off.

You heard me.
It's done for, the last successfully pirateable system is the
Sony PlayStation 4, and no future systems can possibly be pirated
economically.

The Nintendo 3DS is refreshing, because it's got a successful
anti-pirate scheme. I love it. No piracy on the 3DS, and
after a year of hacking by opportunistic scumbag pirates, the
DS remains largely unbroken. Too bad for the pirates, great for
the videogame industry.

Nintendo doesn't get all of the credit, however. The Vita led the
way, in staying with carts and making it so that the piracy
costs more than the average thief is willing to pay.
The SD card emulators were an abject failure, for the
simple reason that they were too expensive. Thieves want their
stuff CHEAP (preferably free), and a $200 SD card won't
sell well at all.

It's Microsoft's turn now, with the XBONE. They've already stepped
up with Windows 10 integration, which is hard to crack economically in and of
itself. Microsoft can easily make a custom UWP standard, as it
was Microsoft who authored the UWP standard in the first place.

It looks like pirates are going to be playing last years'
games for several years to come. Of course, with the piracy
being totally history on the consoles, the PC is going to
get swamped with Denuvo and other DRM like it, but I don't much
care for the PC gang anyway.

I'm gonna be the first one to tell the pirates, BYE BYE!!
Don't let the door hit you on the ass on your way out!!

I tried.

What game is this?

Bulk Slash

Platformer fags, please play Umihara Kawase

Such a good game and such a pure waifu

Fucking fantastic game, those animations were waaaaay too good for what amounts to a hold-right-to-win platformer. How the hell did they even fit those in? The animation of Daffy winning the stage easily goes on longer than any other victory animation I've seen on the GBC.

Years ago, I got this as a part of an RPG bundle. Played it a bit back then, then left it untouched. Came back to it later on, and it was a pleasant surprise, despite its flaws. Basically it's a Diabloclone, but in a mythological setting. Suffered from an array of bugs (my favorite was charging off of the map), had a fucking bizarre control scheme (number keys selected a spell, and using them required right-clicking), some questionable design decisions (health potions costed a flat amount of gold, but recovered a percentage of health, regardless of level, basically making midgame and beyond consist of bumrushing everything while spamming potions, and not getting any AoE abilities, at least as the hero I was playing as, till about an hour or two in, despite much of the game revolving around mowing down packs of enemies), and some of the most blatant game length padding I've ever seen (getting the true ending requires you to beat the game on the hardest difficulty, and unlocking the hardest difficulty requires you to beat the game on the next hardest difficulty, which, in turn, requires you to beat the game on the easiest difficulty).

Sounds like it's an absolute shitfest, given those issues, but after getting used to the control scheme, it becomes quite enjoyable tearing through packs of mythological creatures. And at the end of the day, that's a huge plus for the game's genre.

There's not really a "best" version of this because the games are pretty different on other platforms. Check out the Amiga one, it's great stuff. Even the Amstrad CPC one is pretty alright, but I grew up on that machine and played much harder and less fair games. I made a post about it on /vr/ a few weeks ago.

I know right? The guys who did the game probably spent more time drawing frames of amimation than making the rest of the game.