Dragon Quest V

I was planning on playing through VII first, but I figured I might as well ask about this one in advance. Which is the definitive version of DQV? The original Super Famicom, the PS2, or the DS version? If it's the latter, is the translation at least tolerable?

Just play the DS if you can bear the 8-4 translation and you're not picky about it

Play the Super Famicom version with a fantranslation for better translation, but you will miss on extra content from the DS version like the extra wife choice and other extra content.

In short, if you can stomach 8-4 and doesn't bother you that characters have silly accents, go for DS. If you care about story alot, play snes version, but you'll have less game content

I played the DS version and honestly Holla Forums always exaggerates.

So wait, did 8-4 actually fuck around with the story then? I thought all they did was add those stupid accents.

They added one more wife choice, the story didn't change too drastically, but I preferred the SNES version.

Android/iOS version

For some reason they made Bianca speak like a retard in the DS version. And changing Flora to Nera is fucking dumb,

8-4 took the updated DS script that the Japanese version used, in it they made it so one wife wasn't the obvious worst as it no longer ruins the other choices ;ofe, one more wife in general, some post game content, and some characters have expanded roles. Its a nice game but yeah the accents suck but not unbearable.

You're right, sometimes Holla Forums does exaggerate but if I'm allowed to bring in DQ7 a large numer of areas were indee ruined by their bullshit fucking accents so thick it rendered some areas nearly incomprehensible, and the only reasonable reaction is to rush through dialogue as quickly as you can to avoid having to actually stop and try and filter out what they mean, the French town where you got your 2nd mode of transportation is the most memorable in how bad it was but there were certainly others.

In DQ VII the accents are even more grating if you understand the language they are based on. The NPC repeats the same thing twice, it's fucking stupid no one talks like that.

Wasn't Binari Sonori the ones responsible for the modern DQ localization ?

That's for DQ4, because it includes the party chat that was left out of the DS version. DQ5 mobile doesn't have any additions to my knowledge that weren't on the DS version.

Play the snes fantrans version for best music, pixel art and all that. DS is garbage.

The PS2 version is usually regarded as the best one. It doesn't have the extra wife option that the DS version has, but that's fine because Deborah is garbage waifu anyway. The SNES and PS2 versions only allow three party members at a time instead of 4, like the DS, but it's pretty obvious the game was designed around you only using 3 party members since the 4th one will almost always be a dead weight.

I hope you're kidding because both of your children, you, and your wife or the sabercat are the best composition. Sabercat is extra damager per turn or the wife is also free support.

No matter what composition I tried, the fourth party member always seemed much effective than the other three and constantly had to be healed. Maybe it was just something wrong with my strategy. Also, Slime Knight>Sabercat.

Play the PS2 version with a fan translation

Definitive is the ps2 version. There's an English translation & you can play it on a comfy TV/monitor etc and has the highest quality graphics and audio.

The DS translation is terrible.

The DS version. The only thing superior about the PS2 version is the music, but the trade off is dealing with some absolutely shit tier character models whereas the DS version has extremely detailed and well animated sprites.

seconding

In the SNES version you can only have 3 active party members. This gets annoying late in the game because you get human characters that join you in addition to the tons and tons of monsters that you can recruit. 3 active party members is too low for this game imo.

The DS version's only real downside is the gay translation. It's bearable, though.

Pretty much any mainline Dragon Quest since VIII has had accenting done to "culturize" the script. Part of why Square had been apparently leery of bringing VII and VIII 3DS west at all for so long; the accenting is apparently a big editing cost to them, but they don't feel that the games will sell here without, or something. So they instead just sat on the series for years.

I've also heard something along the lines of Dragon Quest IV DS' Japanese version having an unused normal (IE: no accents) English script option that can be accessed via Gameshark code. If that's accurate, I'd be curious to know if the Party Chat is also translated there too.

The accents aren't as impenetrable as in DQ4 DS. The biggest standouts is the Bianca and some of the hick towns having very country phrases to try to match the sort of Japanese equivalent (much like how Goku and Chichi talk in Dragon Ball) and the big NPC in the sky castle talking like Ned Flanders for some reason.

As for the PS2 version, it was developed by the same people that made the PS1 port of DQ4 that all the DS ones base their designs on, which used the not spectacular DQ7 on PS1 style. Basically the PS2 port has a very very low-rent PS2 look with some weird graphical warping at times. I feel a little bad in the sense that Dragon Quest has plenty of games that really never had a grand graphical flair and DQ5 is one of the ones that's never gotten a proper fancier take yet.

This