Age of Decadence

Finally got around to playing this, what should I know before I start? All I remember is how lore and crafting are important and don't throw the divine spear.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=7Vk4v9Lxyfo
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Why don't you read an FAQ instead of playing the game?

Its dull as shit, good luck.

Well shit, why don't you stop being a fag?

Shit user you know how a lot of games nowadays hold your hand like crazy and the ones that don't only need a bit of effort to know what wasn't outright stated to you. What should you know before playing the game? Are you playing a game or entering an examination? Just play the thing already.

Know what? You're absolutely right. I deeply and humbly apologize for disturbing your regular variety notpolvspol shitflinging by trying to perk up my day and have something to look forward to after my wageslavery.

Fucking shame on me.

Incredibly fun, incredibly flawed. I can only help you with melee combat aspects. Dodge > Block, Axe or Spears > everything else, Crafting is incredibly good, when crafting weapons early on THC > everything else, try and find a balance with your armor that will let you withstand fast, accurate attacks while easily dodging special attacks, 2 handed weapons go great with dodge builds as you can lower enemy accuracy by a whopping 20 points, lore is great, especially if you get the power armor, I usually put one point in alchemy even if I don't plan to level it up.

Maybe someone more experienced can help you with other builds, but I have never been able to get hybrid builds where you have personal skills and don't have 10 str/dex and 8 con to work. Part of this is due the fact that a lot of the enemies in this game are tailor-made just for combat, plus the fact that you are usually outnumbered. It is possible from what I've heard, though.

I suppose it's alright as long as it doesn't happen again. Muh vidya on Holla Forums, what were you even thinking?

This was a fun thread.

I have a secret hybrid build I used to get the best ending for the game as well as doing all the hard fights.

For your first play through go 10 str/10 dex/9con and join the legion max out the dodge and the biggest 2 hander you like the look of (Minotaur axe looks cool!) This will help you get the hang of the game and you can also kick ass.

It depends on what you want to do. The main rules are that it's better to focus completely on one aspect of the game, in terms of both starting stats and skills. Avoid spreading yourself thin. You will have very few opportunities to raise your stats and it's very common to go whole playthroughs without getting one of them. Hybriding is doable and some quality fun (not to mention there are unusual stat combinations needed to unlock certain parts of the game) but you need to be good at it first. Combat stats favor a 10/10/8/4/4/4 distribution, although you can also max out Perception if you feel like it (great stat), especially if you are going ranged build. Thieves' Guild, Assassin's Guild, Imperial Guards, and Praetor are all options for a pure combat build. Thieves Guild and Praetor can also be done with non-combat builds. Imperial Guards can be played with a pure non-combat build as well, but you'd have to backstab your way into the IG to skip the mandatory combat opening missions.

For combat builds:
* Always stack a defensive skill unless you are really good. Block > dodge for defenses, but you need crafting if you are going block heavy and it still helps to have crafted armors for dodge builds. Dodge builds are better for two-handed builds, and give valuable counterattacks.
* Always get at least 2 alchemy so you can make healing salves for yourself because the healer is a ripoff (you will still visit him to cure stat damage though). Maxing alchemy is also very useful if you feel like raising it, even if you don't max it out. If you're Assassin's Guild, just start at 1 alchemy and get training from the guild poisoner.
* At high levels of crafting, it is profitable to decompose your loot and craft superior armaments out of them before selling. It is also a good idea for crafters to purchase all the whetstones you can get and hold on to them until you have at least steel weapons, at which point you can enjoy glorious high damage weapons.
* Critical strike is generally overrated and unnecessary, and you cannot get weapon mastery effects and crit on the same attack, so the best weapons for crit are daggers (whose weapon mastery is more crit) and spears (which give AoO attacks). It is typically better to max something like alchemy instead of crit. If you want high damage attacks, go for axes. Crit does have uses for delivering the occasional instant kill as an assassin.
* Aimed strikes tend to have their crit rate modified by your strength or perception score, so you better max those stats if you want to crit with aimed strikes, unless maybe you're running a dagger build.
* Aimed strikes are also very useful in general, particularly to the arms and legs. You don't need to crit with them for them to be useful, but they do have better effect with high AP weapons or high crit.
* Throwing builds are godly once you have high weapon mastery.

Diplomat:
* Streetwise and Persuasion generally do the same shit. You can grab both, but having just one is good enough. Make sure to skill it though. Obviously if you want to be a con artist, streetwise is more up your alley. These are the primary skills for dialogues.

Other stuff:
* 7 charisma is the golden number if you want to unlock most charisma dialogues and charisma-based trainings.
* Reputation doesn't matter much, but your endgame slides tend to reflect your reputation score with your faction.
* Traps is a worthless skill if you have 10 perception. It's mostly good for thievery, but generally unnecessary. You do not get to set combat traps.
* Thieves' Guild is one of the better picks for hybrid playstyles.
* Be prepared to hoard skill points so you can save and reload before important moments.

Save before doing it, but if you have the option, throwing the divine spear is truly memorable.

lol. Age of Decadence is not one of them.

That's one more stat than you start with.

Anyone got a torrent for the latest version?

I'm still not tired of winning.

I don't know about fun but it is flawed. It has some good ideas but it is ultimately a VN pasted into a half-baked 3D engine with a combat system that only serves as a soft-skill check. If a VN sequence didn't pop up, that means that you can't do it. That includes closing doors from the outside.

Goddamn it user, now you're making me want to replay it.

It's true tbh. Shields have a free +15% bonus to block and extra block against projectiles. With a strong craft and block your shields can absorb so much punishment you will be indestructible. Hell, try making a 10str 10dex 8con block build with the light armors and heavy crafting. The results will surprise you.

When you get bored of regular runs, going hybrid is where it's at. That's where the game gets hard. If it's not hard enough, go hybrid more playstyles into one character.

Depends on whether you want to do a talker or a fighter. Both are viable, but neither can go through all of the content in one go. If you want a talker, invest in lore heavily, as well as in most non-combat skill. It's best to have a pool of unspent SP and just buff the skill when a skillcheck comes. You won't really be able to participate in combat and will have to skip some quests and the like, but you will get to know the history behind the world as well as what the fuck is going on.

If you do combat build, just dump that fucker into either dodge or block (dodge is far superior, but limits you in your gear and early game will be suffering before you raise it to a decent level), into the weapon cathegory of your choice, and into critical hits. You won't know the history of anything, but you'll get to play a big buff dude that wreaks havoc.

You can also do a mixed ubild, which is what most people do, but doing so requires a lot of forethought. You cannot grind skillpoints, and it matters a LOT just WHEN you get a skill.

While it is impossible to experience all of the game in one playthrough (especially since different routes have different contents and even the same routes can be played out in different ways), it is possible to experience a strong variety of both combat and noncombat options in the same playthrough. It's just harder to run around as a hybrid, but it's also rewarding since it opens up a larger amount of sidequests to the same character. You've got to know how to count your skillpoints and be careful in your build and setup.

Well, if there's any doubt those repeating digits confirm it. Seriously though I remember trying out shield+spear back in beta and it proved worse than 2h spear+dodge in every way possible except for attacks being slightly more AP expensive. But block in mastercrafted light (medium or actual light?) armor and I assume cavalry shield sounds interesting.

Shields and dodge have been rebalanced a lot since beta. These days shields have higher block values whereas dodge builds are vulnerable to nets and aimed strikes to the legs.Honestly trying a dodge build with high AP and light armors without crafting is fairly suicidal, which strikes me as a bit of a design flaw, since your armors will have terrible hardness (and have their DR dented down to zero in short order) and vsCrit (whereas block builds can stack the vsCrit of the shield on top of their normal vsCrit), so unless you have crafting to use a slightly heavier armor and boost their vsCrit and the like, any hit that lands on you is likely to hit for almost full damage and by a crit to boot. Dodge builds do give the benefit of counterattacks, 2H weaponry, and the ability to swap positions with enemies though.

The +15% bonus block value of shields tends to drop with armors that have defense penalties but craft reduces the defense penalties on armors and boosts the DR on shields a lot, so any sane block build stacks Crafting to obtain superior DR. With crafted heavy shields a block build can withstand some serious punishment. The other thing about block builds is that while defense penalties can lower the odds of fully blocking attacks, partially blocking (for the bonus DR value) has a minimum regardless of penalties so even with aimed strikes to the legs and nets you can still block like a champ provided your shield has high DR. Light armor + block is extremely hard to hit.

Spear builds can go dodge (or even skip defenses altogether), so long as they don't go up against any annoying archers, since the their weapon mastery already provides a strong defense against melees. I suppose a 1H spear and shield build is likely to be a fortress though, since the bigger shields provide giant bonuses against ranged attacks.

Has anyone beat Dungeon Rats? Good lord, I thought the plant fights were fucking bullshit until I got to the damn worms.

What did he mean by this?

What difficulty are you playing on? I was able to get to the emperor fight on solo/murderous psychopath before I got stuck.

Also, the worms won't do their slam attack if you're on a tile adjacent to them. Once you get one of them dead, the others fall pretty easily. Bombs are also able to knock them down iirc.

Murderous psychopath.

It's the lack of crafting at start, difficulty of using poisons, and low ammo that gets me. Alchemy builds just aren't as viable in Dungeon Rats, and crafting is virtually unusable until you escape the first level.

So I downloaded it.. …

It's complicated..like.. do I need to sleep in the Inn in the city I assume I live in to heal or.. does that even heal me..

Searched for a faq / walkthough / guide – fucking nothing nowhere.

Go to the healer on the map. Costs money, though.

Why don't you go watch let's plays ?

serious what does that healer look like or where is it?

Press "m", niglet.

1000 Internets for you sir.

this fucking russian put it all into perspective.
youtube.com/watch?v=7Vk4v9Lxyfo

It's a good game, but don't bother trying to multiclass until you're experienced with the game, or you're gonna have a rough time. Focus on one thing, combat, stealth or social and put a few points into a supporting skills now and then. Expect to take a little while to get a grasp of what skills are useful for your playstyle, and feel free to reroll with your new knowledge. Doesn't take long to get back where you were when you skip all the dialogue you've already read.

Do every side quest you can for the XP and to get those sweet sweet skill points. If there's something you can't do then don't worry about it, generally the XP a character can earn in an area is balanced between the different playstyles, like violent or charismatic.

I had a good time with the assassin, with stealth and combat. Merchant was alright. Great time playing a legion soldier with shield and spear, works great together because you can shieldbash an enemy away from you to stab them, and if they close the distance again often you'll get a free reaction attack on them. Loremaster is good too to really explore the game's world and history and see a variety of cool shit, but I wouldn't recommend until you've some experience with the game.

It's impossible to see and do absolutely everything on a single character, maybe even on 2. So don't be afraid to skip things you aren't cut out for.

Shit son, don't you realize that any game suggestion around here is just for trolling?

This guy is an RPG Codex user so he's not to be trusted.

Awesome game OP if you are into CRPGs. Definitely rough around the edges but worth the effort.
Some great advice in this thread already so I'll add only a couple things.

I did a successful run as an assassin. Specialization is key, focus on ONE weapon skill and ONE defensive skill, with a couple support skills for outside combat. For example my character solely used a bow for the whole game.

Half the enemies in the game don't wear helmets, so aimed attacks to the head will absolutely fuck these guys up. (Dunno if they have changed this since I've played)

Don't trust anyone.

Its a glorified choose your own adventure with a combat engine. Very RNG heavy so if you don't have the patience to fish for rolls or reload saves for proper skill checks then you are going to have a bad time.

While it is impossible to see every route and the content associated with it in one playthrough, it is possible to build a loremaster thief diplomat terminator (assassin?) in one character. It's just freaking hard (but that's what makes it fun once you've mastered the game).

Either go back to halfchan or lurk more, faggot.

Ok, Dungeon Rats is starting to annoy me. What is with these master of all trades near the end of the game? These damn constructs can eat my fucking dick.
I swear, you think that because your guy is getting stronger that things will get easier at some point, but it never does. It annoys me slightly because it feels that it accomplishes this by having enemies that go outside the rules of the game. An example would be above where my character has a drawback, but the enemies do it all.

The only time that happens is in the final battle if you decide to fight. You will always be outnumbered, outskilled and outgeared. Playing on anything but easy is just tedious.

I pirated this game 2 days ago.
I played it for 1 day.
I restarted 3 times.
This game is fucking shit.

It is the most fucking tight-ass anal number cruncher no-fun-at-fucking-all POS that has ever been created. Even the fucking most expert players "just don't spend skill points" until they need to do something and just restart again and again until they get they pass whatever gay check the game is going to throw.

This game isn't even worth a pirate and it's no fucking wonder nobody has ever heard of it except russian autists and some Holla Forums fags.

Lol nerdrage

By the way, has anyone played the new test build? What does it do? I heard they were adding some changes from Dungeon Rats. This could be a good or a bad thing.

Do you even understand what a mistake is? Raising your streetwise to 3 and persuasion to 2 is not a mistake it's a character building rpg what do. Having to restart the game because you cannot progress unless at that moment early game you had a 4 streetwise is just shitty-bad-guess-the-number-the-dev-wants-you-to-have-make-sure -you-save-before-you-try-before-every-conversation-don't-spend-any-points-ever-game-is-shit code.

Give me a break. The choose your own adventure route is easy as fuck. You have to be massively retarded to have fucked that up. The only way I can fathom fucking up this hard is that you tried to go hybrid warrior/social skills, which is the hardest build to get working right, and, no, being an rpg doesn't mean you get to sling stats into whatever and it just works. What you're looking for is a bethesda game where the stats are largely meaningless and exist solely as a rat pellet dispenser to placate people's desire to see numbers get bigger.

I have played though (completed) just about every isometric top-down rpg every made. This is the fucking worst shit ever made.

Yeah, right, and yet you only just now encountered a time when your build sucked. You are so full of shit it's not even funny.

What stats do I allocate to be able open and close unlocked door whenever I want?What setting do I check to get NPCs to react in a non-retarded way?

But user it's not the NPCs that act in a retarded way.

There is absolutely nothing wrong a game that stops you from do things for no reason. Here is where AoD got its inspiration. :^)

Man, I still cannot figure out this hybrid thing. How do you fight without the power armor to make up for your weaknesses? There is only so many reagents you can use before you run out. Maybe the problem is that I'm trying to do every quest instead of just cutting my losses on some of them.

There is no reason to be a hybrid character, especially without the power armor.
Take the talking route until you can get the power armor and then you're pretty much on cruise control for most combat encounters if you play your cards right.

What's more it's ableist and downright chauvinistic. Getting gud and shiet, I mean it's the current year!

That's precisely it but the thing is that you don't necessarily need to succeed a skill check to finish a quest. Sure, it'll end up a bit messy but you can usually open that door with either picking, knocking, bullshitting or driving the nearby guard (headfirst) into it.

this game was too hard for me. I found the spinoff (dungeon rats) more reasonable in terms in difficulty, and a lot more fun. Played that multiple times.
it really needed some recruitable companions. they should have patched them in or released a expansion.

Yeah, I'm starting to see that. Some people made it seem like you could start fighting people in Maadoran, but it looks like that isn't the case.

I definitely have a problem with trying to get the best endings to quests. Just going to have to accept that not everyone will be happy.

Were you playing on murderous psychopath? Because I found Dungeon Rats to be 10x harder than Age of Decadence.

You can do that with as long as you have the powersuit. Powersuit is pretty much made for hybrid builds as it limits your combat options by a lot as you are forced to block and use 1 handed weapons.

Just so we are clear, I mean actual doors not figurative doors. I have no problem with needing multiple playthroughs and builds to see all of the content.

>this game was too hard for me. I found the spinoff (dungeon rats) more reasonable in terms in difficulty, and a lot more fun. Played that multiple times.
I wished that elements of FO:T went into a mainline Fallout title; because while I like the improvements to the combat system, FO:T isn't much of an RPG. That is suppose to be the job of the tactics spin-off of RPGs, right?

The only fights I had problems with were the constructs near the healing machine and the drugged up bandit with the alchemist that spawns behind you. everyone else I just knocked down with bombs or hammers then aimed for the head