Fuck 3D World

ITT mix of 3D Mario rankings and opinions about 3D World.

Galaxy 2 > Galaxy 1 >> Sunshine > 64 >>> 3D World > 3D Land
I actually didn't rank them in order of release date on purpose, it just so happens that the series got better and better with each entry until Wii U. (SMG2 happens to be one of those hall of fame, greatest of all time games)

3D World is easy as shit, extremely basic (especially the controls, so boring), the cat shit is annoying, the level design is plasticky fake, and the game oozes sterility. 3D World has no fucking soul. That's also how I feel about 3D Land and the NSMB games, but for a 3D Mario to come out this bad is just shitty. Everything above and including 64 in the ranking is great to varying degrees.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/bEzpTppp_wY?t=677
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Honestly, I don't even know how to tell these fucking games apart any more.

Ever since the DS games, it's been New Super Marios plus deluxe Wii U World Land

In which OP forgets that other 3D Mario games also have been easy
The controls are boring? What the fuck nigger? Who says you have to use the cat powerup? Since when did Mario games have individual personalities beyond it's a fucking Mario game? Sunshine and Galaxy have themes and Mario 64 had the castle but 3D World has linear level design.
3D Land is a 3D Mario you sputz

Galaxy games are just as casual, don't fool yourself.
Also
Maybe you need to consider killing yourself.

Fuck off pannenkoek, 64 is shit.

I actually really liked 3d world. It felt like a 3d implementation of SMB3's level design ideas, and had a great soundtrack. Yeah it's pretty easy until you get to the later levels, but that's ok. Also look at this level art and tell me that's not the most delicious shit ever.

I largely disagree

while I didn't play either galaxy, sunshine and 64 had a mechanic to blind the player as to the amount of content the games actually had: kicking you out every time you get a star tricks you into not realizing that 64 only has 15 levels plus 3 bowser levels and a few side levels to get hats

In comparison, 3d world has 50 main levels plus a boss level for each of 8 worlds before you beat the game, and another 30 levels after. And that's not counting the side levels in each world.

And while you could argue that exploration is a key feature of 64 and sunshine, it gets very samey after 4 or 5 stars

sonic did the food level better

Straight lines vs figuring out how to complete the objective in a sandbox. Comes down to preference.

One preference is shit though.

Best analysis fam

100%-ing them is a great challenge, and most of the fun is just trying to beat the levels as fast as you can using tricky parkour shit to skip parts or doing things out of order or other stuff. It's fun to try to be as flashy or efficient as possible, and the Galaxy (and 64 and sunshine) games give ample room to do that. 3D World really doesn't give you room to do cool shit in its level design, so then I truly feel like I'm playing a game made only for toddlers.

You really should.

Epic.

That's part of the shame of it, the game definitely looks spectacular, but the gameplay just doesn't stack up. The gameplay in your video really, honestly just looks like Galaxy level design, but too linear and easy and no room to "show off" because of the linearity.

Crash Bandicoot did the straight lines thing right and was fun, but Galaxy is definitely the height of 3d platforming imo.

A challenging obstacle course vs. WALK FROM POINT A TO POINT B WHILE OCCASIONALLY JUMPING ON A SLOW-MOVING PLATFORM TO GET THE PRIZE!!!!!

considering how crippled the actual platforming is, nah

Controls have been regressing since 64, as well as openness of the levels, but that doesnt make them bad per se. It's hard to compare 3DW to 64, since they're incredibly different games, the former focusing on individual challenges, and the latter allowing for mastery and exploration. The only bad games in the series were Sunshine and Galaxy 1, with poorly implemented mechanics, laborious 100% completion, and generally empty or uninteresting hub worlds. Not to mention the terribly elaborate story which made no fucking sense.
Ill give you that 3DW has generic and reused everything, but this is a non-issue. Level design and mechanics are the only thing that matters in a mario platformer, and both were focused in 3DW. The game is easy, sure, but every fucking mario game is easy. 64 was only ever hard when you didnt know what you were supposed to do.

the core idea of 3d world was to make a 4 player simultaneous mario game, they succeeded for the most part. It takes a long time to get interesting or challenging, which is understandable considering how it's one of those babies first games, but the last few worlds are very enjoyable.

the weaker movement options sucks, the shift in focus to power ups is interesting, the simultaneous play is functional but has limited appeal.

OP is a fucking retard. Opinion dismissed based on the grounds that he thinks 64 is somehow better.

The objectively worst Mario game with the shittiest controls, stupidest water levels and most boring "collect a million pieces of shit to proceed" gameplay. Please tell me more about how much fun you had chasing that stupid fucking eel with its wonky hit box, or nearly drowning trying to swim through rings farted out by a manta ray. Tell me what a blast you had missing jumps and falling into an abyss because the stupid fucking camera would swing the wrong way at the worst time when you were trying to judge the distance you had to jump. Yeah, shit on Mario 3D world for ingeniously simplifying the absolute worst aspect of 3D Mario games which is the camera, and making it play more like a 2D Mario, which is how Mario should play to begin with.

You're a moron who can't appreciate something like 3D World having raw video game fun as its guiding principle, it feels and acts as a game in the heydey of video games. It has beautiful graphics, wonderful music, charm and soul oozing out of every pore yet you somehow fail to be enchanted by it (there's a level with a field full of bunnies yet you think it's "soulless" despite this, are you fucking retarded?).

The game isn't shit. You are.

shit taste detected

64 is the best one. Sunshine would have been the best if they had removed Fludd and had more time to work on those half-assed levels.

I will say I enjoyed NSMB Wii purely as a multiplayer thing with my younger sister back when it came out, but that game let you fuck around and go all over the place with wall jumps and triple jumps and propellors and shit, and the multiplayer element was the reason to play it. 3D World doesn't top that, not even a little bit. I'm not convinced a really fun multiplayer 3d platformer that tops the experience of a multiplater 2d platformer is even possible.

Too bad only 2% of the game is challenging.

If you weren't such a cocksucker I might've actually respected your opinions, since you have some valid points otherwise

Sunshine really, really needed another year. The game we got is pretty obviously unfinished. What is there is still really fun, though.

Yeah maybe you should leave so the shit taste alarm stops going off

He's baiting.

I've never played 3D World, but if it's stupid easy I assume that's because of the 4 player design.

3D Land I have played, and it's amazing. When I see people shit on it I generally assume they didn't play it.

I actually started playing Sunshine a few days ago, and it is my first 3d.Mario game. Am I alone in thinking that 3d was a mistake? I mean, just, GOOD GOD, the controls are fucking awkward. Whose idea was it to make it so that you have to make 3 consecutive jumps while running perfectly straight just to make one jump that's worth a damn? And you have to run perfectly straight forwards, with the stick firmly in the 12 o clock position. Seriously, what the fuck is up with that shit?

I know you're shit posting because Galaxy 1 is the worst Mario game ever made.

It's shovelware at this point. All these great past IPs have been run into the ground, trampled on, and then beaten with a stick.

Using the power ups properly in the Galaxy games you could pull off crazy platforming shit.

I want to see you beat champion's road OP

top kek

Sunshine's the only good one listed.

You don't know about the side flip?

Another user in this thread said it best, it would be objectively the best if it were actually fucking finished. It's not obviously unfinished, but it is obviously padded. I know Nintendo had problems releasing finished games in that era, look at fucking Wind Waker.

3D World is fun until you have to get every stupid fucking flagpole just to unlock the real extra fun stages

Even unfinished it's an enjoyable experience and offers plenty of content to discover and work with. It's miles better than this copy and paste shit they've been putting out since.

how fucking BAD can one faggot be, just take this (you) and go away

You're a faggot just because of this and bitching about the cat suit, which was the only good thing to come out aside from the solid bosses.

Kill yourself.

Why the fuck did 3D World feel so boring to me? The only game in my entire life I've yawned while playing next to shit like Burnout 2. I even enjoyed DBZ Sagas while acknowledging it's shit to the average gamer, not even taking into account the hardcore gamer. Even fully enjoyed Starfox Adventures.

It must be the sluggish heavy feeling physics. Everything looks too fucking gorgeous and has a great variety of gimmicks for stage design otherwise.

The game gets hard as fuck by the end. Way harder than the previous 3D Marios.

The only hard parts are in the secret world with the 3 challenge areas. The rest ranks from easy to medium unless you're 12. If you actually had trouble in the final worlds prior.

Just got up.

I liked 3D Land way more than 3D World.

3D World had awful level design because it was designed for 4 players; at least 3D Land had some actual platforming challenges.

(checked)
Never played any of the games after Mario 64 (which was garbage) because my last Nintendo system was Gamecube and Sunshine didn't look fun. While I can appreciate that people are board with all the New Super Mario rehash being borderline shovel ware, It was these games, going back to the traditional systems that most tempted me to buy a Nintendo. I really want to play them, they look supper fun. 3D world and Mario Maker look amazing. Nintendo first party title are tempting but they alone will not sell me a system. The only thing that bugs me is the "New" Jazz music remixes of the games. The music is such ear grating trash that I honestly dropped any interest in wanting to play the games on account of it alone.
btw I honestly hate Mario 64, you nintodlers who grew up with half-A button presses are cancer keeping this dead franchises alive. RIP Super Nintendo

Literally anything > Galaxy 2 > Galaxy

bored *

I sorta agree with (you)

3D Land I couldn't finish because intentionally used shitty camera angles to force the player to use the 3D slider, something that I prefer to keep off at all times. The challenge, at least as far as I could make myself play, was just trying to tell where you were relative to the ground during your jumps when the camera wasn't making it clear.

I loved 3D World. It felt like the perfect evolution of the yonkoma style that they had been trying to build up to for several games before it and, while it wasn't that challenging, it was a lot of fun to play with my friends, except when they would intentionally waste my extra lives. Also forget the parts where you had to tap the screen or blow on the microphone. I was okay with it in Toad's Treasure Tracker but it had no place in a faster game like 3D World.

But, that said, I kind of hope Nintendo paying more attention to fans' wishes with Breath of the Wild does also lead to Mario Odyssey being more "experimental." Fans have called for Mario to be more like 64 for a while (diorama worlds with exploration instead of planned paths - or more simply, "are all the stars in the level to be found or only the one you chose on the star selection screen"), and while they claim that's how Odyssey is going to be, we're probably going to have to wait a few months to find out for ourselves.

Kill yourself.

Galaxy 2 > Sunshine > 64 > Dogshit > Your mothers queefing pussy > 3D Land/World

I said yonkoma, but it's actually kishotenketsu, which is the source of the yonkoma style. Introduce, Develop, Twist, Conclude.

Galaxy 1 is better. Dunno where this meme came from that 2 is somehow superior. It's a streamlined, watered down version of the original with a terrible final boss. The levels are worse though, the gimicks are more severe and the green star hunt was a giant fucking chore that should have stayed the way it was in the first game.

What you hated about 3D World was what I loved about it. Not having to look at shadows to gauge depth was liberating in a 3D platformer.

I read something that suggested that Super Mario 64 was originally prototyped more along the lines of Crash Bandicoot, but they decided to scrap it because it is frustrating to play that kind of game without depth perception. (Which is true, but most gamers learned to tolerate it)

I mean 3D Land.

You got a reply, I laughed

Mario 64 doesn't have 1/100th of the shit to collect as Donkey Kong 64.

There's so much shit to collect in DK64 that a new rainbow coin was found just recently, breaking all of the 100% speedruns.

I just don't get how it took so long to find that coin. With all the playing that game over the years you'd think something like that wouldn't stay so hidden. Did no player randomly stumble across it within all that time?

I just tried this on CEMU. It even runs decently on a i5 a few generations old lol. But does it emulate the Wii U controller screen too? So far, I didn't know wtf so I had to skip all the stages that require Wii U gamepad.

The drill suit is awesome though.

You'd be surprised at how little speedrunners experiment with their games. And if I recall right this coin was hidden in the middle of some grass, it was awfully random.

How pleasant are Mario threads?

I haven't heard anything actually said officially about Odyssey, just the trailer.

I prefer not to.

I am replaying Sunshine and I realized how wonky the controls are as well. I never remembered them being that bad, but I was a kid when I played it the first time so I probably didn't give a shit. The controls are still not as bad as the awful physics though, can't even count how many times I've fallen off of shit because of that. Sand bird level was probably one of the worst offenders early on, and it only gets worse in some of the "no FLUDD" levels.
The game is entirely ruined for me playing it again as an adult, which never happened with any other mario game. Even 64 is still good to play again once in awhile, but Sunshine is just pure frustration.

Using FLUDD for anything other than platforming was a mistake.

Turbo and Rocket were the shit.

youtu.be/bEzpTppp_wY?t=677

Top row: "Course Clear 3D Series"
Bottom row: "Sandbox Exploration 3D Series"

The coin is under a mound like all the others and to get it you have to use this ground slam move that is useless for other purposes. This one mound happens to be obscured by a grass texture, the only way you'd know its there would be by noticing the character rising from the grass at that point and actually giving it second thought instead of just filing it under "wonky level geometry".
My mind is still blown.

Why are kids from the PS2 era, so retarded…

Because 6th gen was best and it spoiled retards.

I don't want to see how that detail went over with fans.

U wot m8?

5th gen was the best

Why doesn't 3D World feel like simply putting NSMB in a side scroller made 3D?

That's all they had to do. I remember the original for DS as well as the Wii edition being good games at least.

i hate you

I'll admit I always thought there was just 3 "types" of Mario games.
-Sidescrollers, get from A to B. (SMB to NSMBU, etc)
-3D objective, reuses 3D stages for multiple different missions for a collectable (SM64, SMS, SMG1/2)
-Hybrid, 3 dimensions but mostly linear single levels to get to the goal (SM3DL/3DW)

But that picture (of only 3D Mario games) does remind me that SMG1/2 were a lot more linear with very few instances of finding hidden "objective" stars and definitely not close to being sandbox like SM64/SMS.

only because you are jealous. You know you can't take back the days of your life you wasted playing shitty Mario games. Where as I spent my time doing more productive endeavors.

Hey man I like 3d world. me and my bf play it all the time. we both enjoy the cat costume. its way better than 64 get your head out your butt dude.

You're a literally furfag, aren't you?

Bullshit, faggot, SM64 is one of the most fun, revolutionary and defining 3D games ever and its exploitability alone that comes from Mario's new ability to leap, wall jump, and flip into the air in all directions through practice along with its innovative diverse sandbox setting for tackling objectives rather than simply heading for the goal cannot be denied.

64>Sunshine>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Galaxy 2>3D World>Galaxy>3D Land

The more free the Mario game is, the better. Galaxy's planets were basically just a bunch of minigames strung together, and all you had to do to win in 3D World was push forward on the controller. 64 was fun because controlling mario is challenging and you need to use brain power to figure out how to get each star.

I think they learned that they goofed and Mario Odyssey will be incredible.

3D world felt so innovative and fresh. You might not like it but it's an absolute masterpiece of game design.

I don't know which one of these is funnier

If you think 3D World is bad, then how the hell is Galaxy below it?

Because it had good graphics and Galaxy 1 looks like shite.

Seriously.

Also, check your fucking quotes.

Sunshine, the game so free you can only do one shine in the whole game out of order because every shine in the game changes the level to railroad you to your objective. Not that that's inherently bad. A linear Mario can still be packed with secrets and alternate paths and large spaces to fuck around in, which the Galaxy games in particular did a great job of. This meme that SM64's template is the only way to make a Mario game needs to stop. Besides, if you're looking for that, SM64 is DOGSHIT and you need to play Banjo Kazooie instead, faggot.

I'll bet most of the anons that rip on Galaxy 1 and 2 are salty they can't (don't know how to) play it. I've been replaying them on Dolphin with a PS4 controller, it works really well, I can tell you how I set it up if you want. SMG2 in particular gets my vote for best platformer of all time.

3D World made me feel pure joy, something I haven't felt from videogames since the golden days.

It's not perfect, but it's decent at what it does and cozy as fuck.

WEW

Fuck your opinion. It's fucking SHIT.

You do know that only children have that opinion, right?

Accessibility was the highest priority for Nintendo when designing Galaxy. The linearity made sure the player knew exactly where to go, the controls assured grandpa that he could just double jump if he got stuck between platforms, and he didn't have to worry about camera controls. There are autistic people right now spending hours to replay the same Mario 64 levels over and over again in order to find some new way to play a level, because Mario 64 is a truly free sandbox world. I wish Galaxy had that staying power, but Mama Nintendo decided to cut up our levels so we wouldn't choke on them. And that's fitting for a game designed for near deads and three year olds.

I'm on the last world on 3D World. Shit game. It's like the 3D Land equivalent of Mario Galaxy 2. A total rehash of the previous game with a couple new power ups thrown in, and some 'new' (shittier) levels.

It isn't, you arrogant faggot.

If FLUDD sections weren't so boring and shit at times and there were an even amount of pure evolved 64 sections like those addicting secret levels, then it'd be best.

Eh, I think the core concept of the FLUDD system is the most innovative thing in all of the Mario games. It added a shooting mechanic that could also be combined with the platforming and movement mechanics to give them even more depth.

It's just a shame that the execution of those ideas was so terrible. None of the levels were designed to support it. It almost seems like the level designers and gameplay programmers were each making their own distinct Mario game and then they were forced to mush them together.

One of the concepts was actually realized with the turbo nozzle. Hover still feels like an afterthought that was there to patch up bad platforming.

Fuck, submitted too soon because I was lost in thought.

How troubled was the development of Sunshine?

Less than bad platforming, it's a crutch for bad players.

No idea. Nintendo never really talks about that stuff publicly too much.

It was delayed and reworked several times so there were obviously some problems during development. I think it may actually be Nintendo's most delayed game to ever actually ship.

Didn't they decide to make the entire game based around water to revel in and show off their new engine capabilities to do it?

Opinions on Odyssey?

Why wont this meme die.

This is going to be absolutely fucking great. For once is a good time to board the hype train for a game because I have not felt this excited and optimistic about a game in way too many years.

Fuck off.

A lot of the time it was literally "hover over this long pit or slightly ascend".

Just came here to say this. It does a great job of translating the older 2D mario games into a 3D environment, looks great, sounds great and has tight as fuck controls. I had tons of fun racing through levels.

Guys! I just realized something. I don't know if anyone just didn't say it or just never saw it!
You guys remember the rabbit on the moon thing in asian culture?
The first level of mario galaxy! The tutorial place!
I can't believe it took me so long to catch that!

I won't have any until I see more gameplay, preferably a level that shows off a good number of the mechanics I should expect to see in the game.

They did already show a good amount in the only trailer we've even gotten.

Swinging off poles, throwing your hat as a temporary platform, rolling and using mounts in some areas.

While I'd love to be on-board with the hype as well, let's please not forget how incompetent nutendo has been recently.

I know. As always, just pay attention to what looks good and don't give retarded pieces of shit who hate you for liking tits money.

Like all other Mario 64 defense force faggots, you have terminal taste cancer. Pic related is you. Good job idiot.