Why do they call the series "Fallout" when it's set 200 years after a nuclear war? By this point in time...

Why do they call the series "Fallout" when it's set 200 years after a nuclear war? By this point in time, any and all nuclear fallout would have completely dissipated.

Other urls found in this thread:

ecology.com/2011/09/12/important-organism/
fallout.wikia.com/wiki/Fallout_Bible_9
vimeo.com/90896890
archive.is/msU9q
abs.gov.au/ausstats/[email protected]/mf/7121.0
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

The first one was actually like 80 years or something and the name made sense.

Pretty close guess, it was 84 years

Because Wasteland was already taken.

Also the game was originally called Vault 13 in development when they were gonna use GURPS.

It isn't referring the nuclear fallout but rather the repercussions of how their previous society functioned as well as the end of the world.

Fallout is more or less survivable with very basic shelter 7 hours after a blast, outside with light precautions (a filter to not breath the physical object into yourself and clothing) about 2 days and reaches background radiation levels in about a year.

However improperly disposed of fuel that was behind 'just good enough' disposal sights being cracked open and left to waft in wind currents? That shit is what'll straight fuck up a planet.

And then Fallout 2 takes place another 80 goddamn years into the future, so they were already fucking up the theme.

Why do they even call it "Fallout" when the first game in the series was Fallout 3?

You think of one other word that sounds vaguely space-age and atomic while also having undertones of post apocalypse and rebuilding the universe.

taking another definition of the word fallout, the adverse side effects or results of a situation, it's kind of ironic. it's the fallout of a nuclear fallout. todd is a madman.

Space Niggers

Because you're dealing with the fallout of the effects of the nuclear bombs and the fallout of civilization being destroyed.

Well, when you put it like that it seems a little silly that 200 years after the fact people are still living in caves and fighting nuclear zombies with pool sticks fashioned into spears and all plants are extinct.

Especially when groups like the BoS and the Enclave have massively advanced technology.

Hey, I never realized it before, but Fallout is actually pretty stupid, isn't it? I mean, it's fun, but it's stupid.

It's a play on words. Its referencing both the nuclear fallout and "fallout" of what happened because of the bomb.

And if we're talking about the science behind fallout, the more powerful the bombs the less fallout there is. There's more destruction and if we set off enough of them at one time we get a really fucked up climate, but very little actual nuclear fallout. I wish I could remember what it was called but during the cold war the US developed a missile that flew under radar and bleed fallout over the country side.

Spaceniggers would work if it was an urban fantasy setting about retaking the streets, but not something grand and sweeping

We don't know what those of them who took off in the pyramids are up to.

This is all I want now.

Because of the word Outer, implies deepness and grandiosity and all those other things We Wuz Ayylmaos: The Artist talked about.

Why are grass and trees an extinct species, but people can grow fucking carrots and watermelons?

If people can plant food, why can't they plant some new goddamn trees?

Ironically the same thing happened to the franchise.

Niggers love Fallout because it doesn't even feel post-apocalyptic. It's just like their neighborhood.

Because there's dick-all arable land (everything is basically dust bowl-tier in the fallout universe), and any land that could be used to grow grass would instead be used to grow food.

We have a Fallout thread already, why can't you niggers ever check the catalogue.

What the fuck are you talking about?

Radiation behaves differently on the Fallout universe, I am pretty sure that`s enough of an excuse.

What about in 4 when it rains fairly often?

blow me

4 what

There's actually a very good detail to this in Fallout 4. The first 'gas' station you go to has a natural cave beneath it where 200 years ago some cocksuckers dumped their trash and nuclear waste. And later you can actually find a waste depot that wasn't properly shielded and home to some shady fucks that 'killed' and inspector by sealing him into their fake 'insulated' storage area.

Nuclear waste is super SUPER long lasting because there's still a butt-ton of energy in it. How much energy? Enough where we think that we can find a use for it eventually, that's why we store it. You see if we wanted to get rid of this shit, all it would take would be drilling down a few dozen miles into a salt flat or an induction zone and sealing the hole after. No way in fuck that shit is getting out. BUT… it's processed fuel with a lot of energy still in it and at this point we have some reactors that can USE some of the earlier waste. That isn't a resource you give up when its so easy to store.

The problem is if you don't do that shit long term, and even then if you have the support structure for maintenance and upkeep completely removed. That fuel is going to get out, then eroded by natural events and that nuclear waste is going to impact a very large area.

It's an interesting detail, but a small and otherwise pointless one.

1, 2 and NV were all set in the desert, so obviously I didn't expect to see big, leafy green trees all over the place. They were few and far between, and made perfect sense whenever you saw them. I can even understand DC looking like a desert because it was ground zero for a fuckton of bombs. (Plus, Point Lookout had tons of trees and shit. I actually really love Point Lookout.)

But why is Massachusetts a desert? It literally touches a fucking ocean.

Why would you even plant trees?
Vegetables and fruit for food but trees?

They produce clean oxygen, they look good, and they help other plants grow faster and larger.

No idea, I haven't played 4 and I doubt I ever will. Chalk it up to incompetency from the writers at Bethesda.

Trees are extremely necessary to hold topsoil in place. Without it you get loose dirt and sand that will just blow away in the wind, which makes it harder to grow crops. They're an important part of the ecosystem.

When was there a Fallout game in Massachusetts?

How do I kill the master?
There's not even enough stims left in the world to get him past "severely wounded" level.

You've been bamboozled by druid viral marketers.
ecology.com/2011/09/12/important-organism/

This right here. Fallout 3 was the first game of Fallout.

Fallout 1 and Fallout 2 are good games, but they aren't "Fallout" games.

What? You never played Zenimax's latest Fallout spinoff? It's called Fallout Builders and it's a lot like Minecraft.

What would you propose watering these trees with? Water is an extremely valuable resource in the Fallout universe (remember the water merchants in the Hub). We can't water plants with salt water, and there aren't any desalinization plants in the wasteland that aren't inside functional vaults, so that means using up extremely valuable fresh drinking water to grow trees instead of being used to keep livestock and people hydrated, and growing valuable food crops.

^^^^
THIS!!

Might have something to do with the constant storms sweeping in tiny radioactive partials from the melted reactor in the glowing sea.

It might simply be the case that a lot of plant life is only viable long term (in the years category) if you have a farmer attending it to ensure its protected from that kind of stuff.

Of course Fallout 4 was the game with radioactive lightning, so take that with a grain of potassium.

Any faggot who thinks the 3D games are the best ones are the cancer killing video games.

Well golly, I sure do love Minecraft and quads. I'll definitely give that game a purchase!

Thank you, friendly handsome manlet

Wouldn't at this point the cancer killing video games be a good thing?
Ponder that for a sec.

Really makes you think

Fighting the Master head on is pretty hard. You should just set off the nuclear bomb on the fourth floor of the vault.
But if you do want to defeat him you'll need some Tesla Power Armor and lots of points in Energy Weapons, and just keep aiming at his eyes. There's also pulse grenades which are pretty effective.

really tickles the ol' pickle

Here's another deep thought. If "supremacy" is putting certain people above others then wouldn't religions who deem their followers as "the chosen people" be supremacist?

its like a double entendre

fallout of nuclear holocaust
the fallout of human interaction
the fallout of the human experiment

Real world nukes don't turn people into un-ageing burn victims who heal from the radiation that created them, and eventually turning into zombie like creatures, they don't make scorpions giant or chameleons into lizard men, you wouldn't and couldn't use 200 of them on one city, for every major city in America (except Boston, which got one for some reason), and after a few decades the world would really be no different from the real world beyond the setting back of humanity a few tiers of advancement and development.

If you wanna be literal with the title, the games should be called "The magic of radiation and the problem of having way too many bombs."

Negro scientists proving they aren't just affirmative action :^)

Wow, what a catchy title. Great suggestion you fucking turbo autist.

Whatever

Why do they call the series Fallout: Tactics when only one game has Tactics?

"Fallout" has entered the common language as being synonymous as being "lingering repercussions of an action". You hear it in other contexts all the time, especially in regards to politics & public relations.

The entire series takes place in the world created by the Great War, a product of it's fallout, which set history on that path. Bethesda just retardedly took a literal approach to the name and decided to make everything fucking permanently irradiated.

Judging by the scale of the map and the location of the Glowing Sea, the one missile that was aimed at Boston didn't even hit Boston. Hell, it didn't even hit Massachusetts. It landed in the NE corner of fucking Rhode Island.

please stop, it's not even remotely funny

How the fuck do nukes work in this universe again? This isn't even a Bethesda problem, it's inconsistent across the whole series

I bought a physical copy of Fallout 4.

IT WAS A FUCKING STEAM DOWNLOAD.

FUCK YOU TODD

Which is why we need mass drivers so we can launch that shit into the sun

Maybe it's due to a large variance in warheads, maybe some of them are on the scale of the Tsar Bomba, maybe others are dirty bombs in comparison, lots of maybes. I think it's just because the nuclear aspect of the games is rather pointless, and if the games were set after some other apocalyptic scenario that assumes humans survived, they'd stay mostly the same.

B-But user, Fallout 4 is so big, that they would need multiple DVDs to hold all of that information. Nobody's got time to sit there and install that shit (once). Better to just give you one DVD with the install file, and then a code to instantly download the rest.

Also, DVDs and multi-disk boxes are apparently SUPER FUCKING EXPENSIVE now, don't you know? How are they ever going to make their money back from developing the game if they have to load a ton of disks into the box?

Confirmed for being a retard who didn't bother thinking about Fallout 1. Nukes don't turn people into ghouls, radioactive FEV does. Ditto for giant scorpions, geckos, deathclaws, wanamingos, centaurs, floaters, etc.

Chris Avellone disagrees
fallout.wikia.com/wiki/Fallout_Bible_9

Why do they call the series "Legend of Zelda" if everyone keeps calling him "Link"?

found the fag

The Last of Us did a lot of stuff wrong. But they got Post-Apocalypse right, at least. An overgrown verdant "wasteland" where nature has retaken the world is far more interesting - both visually, and as a place to explore.

The only thing they got right.

Why is Halo called Halo. It's not like you play Halo anymore

There is a mod for Fallout 4 called "Regrowth" that changes the world into this. Its hard to see shit on the ground though so I usually turn grass low or off.

That would be a triple entendre user.

Fallout 2 was a step in the wrong direction in certain areas, it was a result of a larger budget + more direct supervision from the publisher (nobody expected 1 to do that well and so nobody cared enough to meddle). Gameplay was improved but the setting was less consistent, the story inferior (the ending was more railroaded, for example) and the humour overdone + intrusive.

Stop playing Zenimax Fallout and start playing Fallout.

Your first picture is Wasteland 2, you fucking pleb.

Well, you *could*, but it would be pointless. You can only vaporize something once. That's why real-world arguments about "We need to have more nukes, because we only have 100 of them and our rival has 105!" are stupid.

It doesn't make any sense that all the vegetation would be in the city and not out in the wilderness. I never understood Wasteland 2's cover.

You don't stockpile more nukes because you want to salt the earth, you retard. You stockpile nukes and aim dozens of them at the same cities because you need redundancy in case a first strike takes out a large percentage of your retaliatory capabilities. If you have a 100 nukes nukes aimed at Moscow stationed in 30 different locations, what are the chances that ALL of them will be bombed first/intercepted?

Now, if you only have 1 nuke at one launch site aimed at Moscow, what are the chances of it being taken out during a surprise attack? If you have 20 nukes in 5 installations, and your enemy has 200 nukes in 50 installations… who do you think the advantage of a first strike favors?

The absurd nuclear stockpiles are there to preserve and enforce Mutually Assured Destruction. You have to assure the enemies destruction, even in the worst of worst case scenarios, in order to keep their fingers off the fucking button.

in hindsight it would have been better to kill ourselves off with nukes. This progressive anarcho-marixist brown fag worshiping hell we live in is so much worse than being vaporized or dying much quicker of cancer.

No shit, what's your point?

Well go ahead and end it buddy, we're all right behind you.

200 years later, why haven't they entirely rebuilt society and culture??
Why can't they at least clean their shitty little towns?
If the nukes dropped in 2200 or something why is everyone listening to music from the 1950s?

Mass death, destruction of live-stock and crop, destruction of materials, high levels of radiation, constant fighting and danger from the lowest of bandits all the way up to full scale battles between NCR and the Legion. No centralised forms of government, very little in the way of high speed communication or infrastructure, or the capability to make that infrastructure. I mean fuck man, you try making a society with some radiated plywood and supermutants kicking down your door every other day. Some settlements are doing a pretty good job.
Because the timelines diverge around WWII, and the US carries the aesthetics, music and culture of 1950s america into the modern age.

vimeo.com/90896890

Nah, it's because Bethesda are retarded fuckwits who can't build a world worth anything. Fallout 1 has a number of communities building up, Fallout 2 expands that to several cities shown in game, and several nation-states mentioned.

If the Fallout series has taught me anything, it's that everyone is lazy as fuck.

Think about it. Nobody does anything! Nothing at all happens unless you initiate it or participate in it, and half the time people don't even clean up at all. You find a raider camp, and there's still trash, broken shit, and bloody corpses and bones lying around everywhere. I think the fallout fucked everyone's sense of smell because Jesus there are corpses EVERYWHERE, and nobody even shuffles them into a corner or something. Just leaves them sprawled out in the middle of the floor of their hideout.

You know that TV show Hoarders, when it shows the REALLY bad ones? The ones who haven't removed so much as a single baggie of trash from their home in years? Where there is rotting, stinking trash piled in every corner, and the toilet is like overflowing with shit and piss, and the sink is overflowing with dishes covered in caked on months-old food, and the refrigerator is breeding seven-thousand exciting new species of technicolor mold?

THAT IS HOW ALL THESE PEOPLE FUCKING LIVE. I can understand it if they're just sitting in a camp for a day, but some of these settlements are years old, and half the time it seems they can't even get rid of the bones of the people who were flash-fried by the nukes! In 4, there's idle animations of people hammering on and tinkering with whatever set pieces are near, but you know one thing they never do? FUCKING CLEAN SHIT! You know, scrape the rust off things, sweep the floors, dust the shelves, maybe pour a little goddamn cleaner into the toilet and give it a good scrubbing once per motherfucking CENTURY? I get that they can't patch holes in the walls and roofs because materials are scarce and valuable, but what's stopping them from grabbing a machete and clearing out some of those dead bushes and trees? How about moving some of the rubble and piles of dirt off to the side somewhere? Maybe move those corpses that have been ROTTING ON YOUR DOORSTEP since they got shot MONTHS ago?

Biggest gripe about the settlements in 4 is that they never look any better. You can put hours of effort into crops and defenses and put up all sorts of structures and furniture and whatnot, but it all still looks like garbage. Nothing ever gets repaired or cleaned or even slightly straightened out. My toilet hasn't been cleaned in 200 fucking years.

Hence "some settlements are doing a pretty good job." Vault City, The Hub, San Francisco are all good examples. The NCR is probably the most well developed nation-state. By the time of NV they're building railways lines and operating trains, they have a standing army, taxes, a senate etc. But there's plenty of other places that are pretty much doomed to just being shitholes until they get destroyed or abandoned.
You are right though, Bethesda think that everything should be perma-wasteland and shanty towns.

Yeah this is what I've been saying. They don't have the infrastructure to fix holes in walls and ceilings but maybe covering them over with a tarp or something would have shown a modicum of world building on Bethesda's part.
I would like to have seen run down towns where they've evidently done their best to make it a stable structure. Instead they live like cats in a junk yard.
Why didn't they even think about this shit for a minute.
The NPR encampments, the New Vegas strip,all very secure. So at least move the fucking burnt out vehicles away. In fact it would have been LESS effort to leave them out while modelling them.

Exactly this. It shows absolutely zero regard for anything, like these people are just sitting around waiting to die. In a way, that makes sense; things are pretty shitty until you show up and start making things better, and everyone seems pretty despondent and defeatist in general. That's why it would have been such an amazing visual indicator of your impact on the Wasteland if things actually started to look brighter and sturdier and cleaner. Help a settlement with their defenses and crops, so they have more free time and are more invested in their home; they clean shit up and gather more resources and make the structures look nicer. You come back a little while later and everything looks a lot spiffier. If you put a shitload of work into a settlement, it actually starts to almost look civilized. Maybe not quite to the level of the Pre-war kitsch and splendor, but at least to the level of a third-world poor neighborhood like a Brazilian favela. Better than piles of literal junk haphazardly assembled into house-shaped structures like a shantytown.

I know you're just bullshitting and baiting but I still want to punch you in the throat.

Except they have, the ncr is a fully functional society and all the boneyard area cities are supposed to be rebuilt

The Fallout universe has nuclear reactors and batteries everywhere. Powering cars, alarm clocks, robutts and so on, in addition to big power plants. With no one around to maintain those reactors, or shut them down properly and dispose of the fuel, there is a big risk that they go into meltdown. Take something like Chernobyl; about 95% of the fuel in reactor 4 has still yet to be expended and it's been spewing out radiation for over 30 years. It just got melted down into lava and formed a 'natural' ceramic barrier that slows the release. Dumping a shitload of concrete on top slowed it further. Something like Fukishima? Who fucking knows how long the meltdown will go on for. They're still dumping seawater on it.

Because Black Isle/Obsidian is full of retarded faggy leftists who refused to go full on Race War in their story-land and remove all the societal elements that would hinder civilization. In fact, those that do propose a final solution that would kickstart humanity back into greatness are presented as comical villains. I mean, the NCR was founded by a woman president-for-life meme, who spent her youth getting gangbanged by Mongolian Niggers in order to stick it to daddy. You want to know why the Fallout universe is shit, you need look no further. Autumn did nothing wrong.

They certainly are, which is why overdose of religion is a real thing. Just look at Jews and Muslims for the most extreme examples of such behavior. On the other hand the most extreme thing a Christcuck would do is to cuck himself due to muh other cheek.

You can side with every single one of them, and in the case of the Legion, do quests for them. None of them are presented as comical villains.
You mean she got kidnapped once by some bandits and then rescued.
I want Holla Forums and Holla Forums false-flaggers to go.

Original and best Fallout: Plan fails because the Master is a retard and his superior species is infertile. Cartoon villain tier.

Meme Fallout: Purging the impurities of the human race kills everything. Cartoon villain tier.

Son of Meme Fallout: Legion content is barely there, cue cries of Bethesda only gave Obsidian 2 weeks to create a game engine for their perfect, bug free masterpiece. Neo-Roman Legionaries fighting a 'modern' military is supposed to be taken seriously, because no one at Obsidian watched Zulu, apparently.

First of all, women make shit leaders. At least in a democracy you can vote them out. You don't make them leaders for life. Second, she wasn't kidnapped. She ran off with the Khans because she was a stronk independent woman who didn't need no man, but wanted a parade of dick to ride anyway. Lampshaded by the fact that no one else was killed or kidnapped during the Khan's 'raid.'

Why would you bring Holla Forums and Holla Forums into this? This is a videogame board.

Is that why fallout 4 had minecraft in it?

It wasn't necessarily minecraft which inspired FO4's settlements. Bethesda was just being Bethesda and stealing mods instead of coming up with their own ideas. In this case, Real Time Settler/Wasteland Defense, not realizing that the reason why those mods were so well received is because they were layered on top of an already complete game, rather than cutting out entire factions, most established settlements, named NPCs/questgivers, and other content in order to make it fit. Minecraft's popularity certainly fed into it, and probably silenced a few of the saner voices who may have been saying FO4's settlements were a bad idea, but wasn't the reason for it to be included.

I saw a thumbnail for a video about FO4 and what would have happened if everyone else in the vault survived with you. I didn't actually watch the video, because it probably just fanboy clickbaiting, but thinking back on the title - goddamned that would have been an interesting scenario. To go back to the vault and start waking up your friends and neighbors… seeing them react to the new world, trying to work together with Preston's interlopers as they rebuild, getting into conflicts with various other local faction groups (if there were any). Especially after you've already rooted through their personal effects and private business while initially clearing out Sanctuary, then giving dialogue options/quests to confront them on this. Have them be the first real faction you can either side with, ignore, or destroy - potentially building them into a new faction kind of like vault city and using them as a springboard for quests or using them as a personal army to help sway other factions or rebuild other settlements. After all, it would make a fuck of a lot more sense to have a large pool of pre-war knowledge base to use to help craft materials, build structures, and whatnot - instead of expecting a soldier/lawyer to know advanced chemistry, electrical engineering, firearm manufacture, structural engineering, etc.

That that would have taken some of the focus off of the player character as a special snowflake mary/marty sue savior of the wasteland. Telling a good story is secondary to giving the retard with the controller and the wallet full of cash a good ego stroke.

Eh, fuck. I meant "Work together, or against" Preston's interlopers. Would have been nice if you could have told the Minute Men to fuck off, and fight them for Sanctuary - and engage in skirmishes all over the commonwealth for new settlement territory.

In-universe shilling of an NPC's qualities doesn't actually mean the NPC has those qualities. The whole concept of the Legion was pretty stupid and so was the leadership.

Compare FO1 and 2 settlements to FO3.

Honestly the series should have diverged and went in the direction of Fallout Tactics.

Those are all fusion reactors. Fusion reactors are suppose to be clean, yet there's nuclear waste barrels all over the place.

desert != dry area not connected an ocean

gee I wonder

He's not wrong and it has nothing to be with /po/

Nice quads

Name one good female leader in the last two hundred years.

What's up with this felix picture? I keep seeing it lately.

This is Namibia.

She accelerated Britain along its current trajectory.

papercraft and origami is irrelevant here

Queen Victoria, Queen Elizabeth I, Catherine the Great, Aung San Suu Kyi

Trees are very adaptable to their conditions, and certain portions of even Nevada don't have issues with water in Fallout.

Fallout 2 nigger.

Because originally it was called Wastland but Brian Fargo could not get the IP from EA. So at the last minute they re-branded it to Fallout.

why is keanu burried in the sand

Not since the last big get.

Fucking this. In 1 and especially 2 things are being rebuilt and you can see it. We get a sense that there's industry and not to no small extent. We see newly built structures and society which gives me the player a sense of fucking progression. Instead we get people in rusty tin shacks and no crops in 3 AFTER FUCKING OVER 200 years. You come out of the fucking vault 84 years later after the bombs in 1 and yet shit is drastically rebuilt better than 3 or 4 ever showed. Well fallout new vegas tried but the damage was done because of jewry from bethesda(look up those milestone bullshit for income) and beyond shitty engine.

Fuck Todd in the ass.

I really don't understand why there are people here who think New Vegas was a good game. It was almost the exact same as Fallout 3.

Every single game is Dark Souls so why play any of them?

Except characters, quest design, writing, rpg mechanics, and world design, you're pretty much right.

These don't matter to be honest, that's all stuff that an overhaul mod could do. New Vegas is more like a mod for Fallout 3 than a fully-fledged game.
What changed? Because all they added from what I've seen is alternate ammo types, a hardcore mode, and a scattering of speech checks throughout the dialogue.

Stats and skill matter and make sense.

Fallout 3
Fallout new vegas

It's lore friendly, but it doesn't play significantly differently from Fallout 3. Maybe I'm wrong, I didn't play Fallout 3 too much, but I honestly didn't notice any differences between the two when it came to actual gameplay. The biggest change was the addition of true iron sights, and that's not really gamechanging.

In Fallout 3 its like youre always doing a retard run.

>Fallout 3, you can go anywhere, the monsters scale with you, it's like babby's first game.

Just get out.

The nukes suit whatever the story is. I mean in the opening cinematic of FO1 Ron Perlman talks about the bombs causing entire oceans being vaporised and mountain ranges being destroyed/formed. The way FO1 intro portrays the bombs as things that basically changed the entire landscape of the planet.

In the end it doesn't really matter.

The story doesn't matter though because it has no impact on the core gameplay, it's still the same Bethesda gameplay rehashed but in a new setting, even though that setting is better than most Bethesda settings. Bethesda ruined the whole series by taking it and turning it into Oblivion with guns. Van Buren would have been miles ahead of New Vegas had it been completed.

There's a mod called Tale of Two Wastelands which implements Fallout 3 into New Vegas. If New Vegas' gameplay is truly different and an improvement, then hypothetically Fallout 3 would be noticeably improved and wouldn't play like standard Fallout 3; someone well antiquated with Fallout 3 would be able to note the changes. I'm guessing that they wouldn't immediately be able to do so though, aside from the true iron sights.

Oh no the wasteland is populated and has different leveled creatures/enemies in different parts of the game. You would reckon the people at Sloan telling you there's fucking Deathclaws everywhere would make you realise you should go the other way.

Exactly. The enemy placement around the open world in New Vegas is better than what it was in Fallout 3.

TTW actually does change the gameplay substantially, and it is a VERY noticeable improvement. If I'm not mistaken, the damned thing is still in Beta despite being perfectly functional - because the team has to go back and integrate all of the improvements and new mechanics of FONV back into FO3. Last time I updated, they had put in a bunch of new crops, crafting stations, FO3 Weapon mods, recipes, and did tons of tweaking/rebalancing… and were still working on some of the more difficult integrations like settlement/faction reputations.

REMINDER THAT WATER CANNOT BE MADE RADIOACTIVE AND THAT THE ENTIRE PREMISE BEHIND THE WORLD IS FAULTY

Water we drink isn't just H2O. Other stuff in there is radioactive.

It can be contaminated though.

But not full death, so babies exist. Not an argument.
But not full destruction, so they do exist. Not an argument.
We see machining plants in operation in the games. Not an argument.
Not after 200 years. Not in reality.
Which is unrealistic.
Good. And?
The infrastructure is still there; comms aren’t needed for small communities, and WE SEE RADIOS, YOU FUCKING RETARD.
Radios exist. Not an argument.

Commit suicide.
archive.is/msU9q

New Vegas also looks better than 3 as far as colors go. The dusty brown terrain with blue skies fits the wild west feel the game goes for, whereas 3 has a lot of grays and a constant shit green sky because "muh radiation".

I get what you’re saying, but it only outs you as an idiot.

If you drop a nuclear reactor in a river, yes, it will be contaminated. Not upstream of the reactor, but downstream will be. To a point. Because IT FILTERS THE FUCK OUT AFTER A WHILE. If nukes flying in a single event is the only source of the contamination, your water sources are going to be fine in ten years, TOPS.

damn, such an old game, probably very hard to play it these days. need to run it through dosbox or something :o)

Water shields against radiation, which is part of the reason why they put spent fuel rods in water pools, secondary to cooling. Though water can also carry dilute radioactive material suspended in it. Most of that material would sink into the silt within a week, but could still be stirred up by footsteps disturbing the sediment in shallow water. The moment your feet stop touching the ground and you're free-swimming though, the radiation should stop. In either case, none of the radiation would be powerful enough to penetrate the skin. It'd only be dangerous if you had an open wound for it to get into your blood - or if you drank it. Your body is mostly water, which again, shields against radiation. Once it's in your blood/digestive system and circulating around near your vital organs, then the protective shielding of the water can do little to help.

Honestly, after 200 years, even the silt layer the radiation is in embedded in would be buried deep enough under new deposits that footsteps wouldn't disturb it, and most of it been driven down deep enough into the soil as the water filters through the earth that footsteps wouldn't kick up so much as a click on any geiger counter - but… one step at a time here.

user the idea the combined fallout of hundreds of nukes blanketed the land, so all the water, and all the sediment going into the water, will have radioactive particles going into it. And there is plenty of purified water, it's just that large scale water purification is hard to come by hence being sent out to go get a new filter chip and to activate the large scale water purifier.

Stefan pls.

Just off the top of my head, with no great stake in the argument.

There might be a bit more I'm not remembering, but considering Obsidian accomplished all this while Bethesda-Zenimax was attempting their usual carrot-stick-buyout ploy and fucking them on the release date, it's a pretty nice improvement and quite enjoyable even unmodded, unlike 3.

Heavy elements can still be swirling around in said water and in the riverbeds, though, can't they? And though heavy elements will eventually wash out into the deep ocean trenches, they'll still leave a mark on the soil that they passed through, which will mark the soil around it. Fallout 3 was still dumb as hell for having everything be radioactive, mind, whether it's still or running and regardless of scale. On the 'ten years tops' point, what if one were to account for a large fraction of said bombs being low-yield high-fallout '40s bombs carpeted overland (in addition to more modern and efficient higher-yield warheads in airbursting ICBMs) and for a certain number of either class consisting of salted bombs meant to create the absolute largest amount of radioactive contamination possible? Recall that this universe has no idea what the words 'anti-nuclear proliferation' mean let alone their application, and in the end balk at the MAD concept, since shit's fucked anyways on every socioeconomic level and fusion power came a mite too late to stop global war over the remaining finite energy sources necessary for a transition. Deliberate creation of disproportionate contamination needs to be considered. Running water should obviously be fine, but anything standing is dubious depending on the half life of whatever might've settled into the soil, and there's a lot of standing water in Fallout's fucked climate.

Continued from

Note that the original question was 'why haven't they entirely rebuilt society and culture,' not 'why are there so many shitty shanty stickpickers outside of the places that have gotten close to doing so,' though the point about uncleanliness does raise that latter question and it is valid. Still, for the first question, 'constant fighting' is a sufficient answer for the postapocalyptic microscale of fuck you I got mine survivalism trumping constructive and cooperative frontiersmanship enough to slow the growth and furthermore emergence of said strategy, which can itself be blown into a sufficient macroscale answer in that mass dysfunction for lack of resources and poor availability of functional infrastructure- and far more importantly, the knowhow to expand and reconstruct it easily which is difficult to pass down through said dysfunction- combined with those whom work around these restrictions entirely with blood, sweat and ideology as in the Legion or to a great degree eliminate them through hardbitten reconstruction and reinvention (at best) or desperate exploitation of the lostech that's left (at worst) as in the NCR generally having highly opposing worldviews and aggressive expansion strategies, leading to clashes of civilization that though perhaps normally a means to increase social-technological progress, are a highly inefficient stoppage on the alternative of reconstruction by surviving and well-educated populations.

Which, of course, don't exist in the first place, because Vault-Tech are assholes with inane 'social experiment' plans and the US governments' plan B was to put every career politician, military industrial complex leader and a minimum of patriotic military personnel into their own federal bunker network and subsequently go full reconquista on whatever poor mutie fucks happen to survive (read: anyone exposed to fallout & FEV, because the Enclave are in fact gormless powers-that-be shitheads even if they're to a degree understandable shitheads and the other factions are also other flavors of shithead) and desperately rebuild from there while using vault dwellers as an untainted genetic bank. Those caveats are their own stupidity in and out of the universe, but to be fair, is thematically coherent with the kind of down-low social modification ala Muzak and cold war alphabet agency psychosis native to the time period that Fallout drags onwards into an alternate future.

why they call fallout 3 3 when it's the first game in the series?

Why does Fallout 4 do such a terrible job of this? 210 years and everything looks like its only been 50 or 70 years. Also the game sucks as every mission is the same fucking thing! FETCH THIS AND KILL THAT!

Not to mention people still living in houses with rotted food in the fridge and literal skeletons on the floor. Are we supposed to believe that in 210 years nobody thought to sweep the floors?

I actually went into a Super Duper Mart and found a cart full of Melons and Carrots that were still edible. And am I expected to believe so much 200 year old food could stay fresh for that long? I had a fucking bottle of coke from 1978 and when I opened that shit up 2 years ago it tasted like battery acid.

Yeah, it is you dumbass. Some primary school tier refutations don't make you right.
No it's not. Almost every road is ruined to the point of uselessness. There are almost no cars, and the only kind of proper infrastructure is in places like the NCR with trains, and even that is only in it's infancy.
Yeah, and are they churning out useful materials to ship out to everyone so they can collectively rebuild? Of course fucking not.
This isn't reality dumbass. You think deathclaws are realistic? How about robots everywhere? Or supermutants? There is still radiation 200 years after the bombs dropped, that's explicitly shown over and over in every game.
Yeah, you're right. Why doesn't everyone just join hands and sing kumbaya, that would make for a fun game.
And that's one of the most necessary parts to create a functioning society. NCR managed it, but they're still small scale. Without proper organisation and leadership everything progresses slowly or not at all.
Hence "very little" you sperg. You think some radios is enough to be adequate communication structure? None of the computers are connected to any kind of network, and the only way to send messages long distance is physically delivering them or using a HAM radio, which is uncommon at best.
Yes, but they are needed to "rebuild society." You might be able to create some self-sustaining cities, but that's a far cry from recreating the US as it was before the war.
"Radios exist" isn't an argument either faggot. The amount of handheld radios and HAM radios is not sufficient to be useful for anything more than keeping a few nearby communities in touch. If you're talking about rebuilding society you need more than that.

Nice one dickhead, do you get all your opinions from other people on the internet?

Okay, lets do this

Queen Victoria
Also When Albert died, she completely withdrew from public life. She stayed hidden in mourning for so long that there were calls to end the monarchy. The only reason Briton warmed up to the monarchy is because he Prince of Wales contracted typhoid fever.
Also she wanted rights for the "Natives of her colony's" which can be attributed to the beginning of the downfall of the English empire.

Queen Elizabeth I

Catherine the Great

Aung San Suu Kyi

Victoria: No good policy, her country was run by corporations raping everything and she sat on her hands

QEI: Not in the last 200 years

Catherine the Great: Russians had tons of wheat, well wheat and get money. Also she wanted to fuck a gay.

Aung San Suu Kyi: So sitting still while juntas fight over offices around you is leading?

Women are terrible leaders they can't do anything because their whole lives is centered around thinking about men dicking them and securing resources to survive and not leading men to better lives.

ouch

Grow up, men and women are vastly different and they are not meant to lead unless they have chemical/hormonal imbalances to the point they are basically men anyway.

i was agreeing

I wonder how fallout 3 would run on windows 95…

Which is why the abbos that burnt down the trees in Australia, turning it from lush rainforest into hell hole need to be exterminated.

Common practice throughout monarchies and history.
There were haemophiliacs in Royal families long before Victoria. Your only criticisms are that she married a relative, passed on blood diseases and wanted to give native's rights.
Which is bad because?
So she effectively maintained her power. Would you say the same thing about any other monarch removing rivals to remain in power?
See above, she wanted to avoid the Spanish gaining any kind of foothold in Ireland from which to challenge her.
Part of her power base and popularity stemmed from her position as a virgin. It was necessary to keep that up. I will concede that not naming an heir was a bad move.
Nice hyperbole bro. They traded resources, and Catholic Europe cried about it because they were opposed to the Ottomans.
You conveniently forgot that the English utterly annihilated the Spanish Armada under her.
Because he obviously did it completely independently of her.
Not an argument.
Serfs always got the shit end of the stick.
Russia expanded and conquered under her rule, which is exactly what every European power aimed to do. She also modernised Russia and established it as a true power within Europe, instead of just a shitty second fiddle to everyone else. She made Russia more powerful than it had ever previously been.
You mean the election that she was under house arrest during? And was released six days after?
Yeah, Myanmar was a beacon of democratic ideals.
I don't think the Nobel peace prize means shit, but trying to say it has any bearing on her is just retarded.
You can criticise her for not taking the side of the Rohingya Muslims when they were being attacked I guess, but that seems like something you wouldn't care about in the first place.
I provided successful female leaders. Doing things you morally disagree with in order to maintain power doesn't detract from that success, taking land by force doesn't either.

What policies were bad? Which corporations raped the country?
They also had tons of new land and cities, and prosperity.
She used him to gain power. The retard could barely speak Russian anyway.
You're so right man, she should have single-handedly overthrown the military junta that put her under house arrest for protesting against them.
Improve it yourself you lazy, illiterate fuck.

What the fuck do abbos have to do with anything?

user was talking about how trees protect topsoil. Abbos ruined all the topsoil in Australia by burning the trees down. It's an example to back up user's words.

There is still radiation 200 years after the bombs dropped, that's explicitly shown over and over in every game.

There's very few areas of radioactivity in either Fallout 1 or Fallout 2, and aside from the Glow, the site of one or more direct ground-burst nuclear strikes, they're mostly nuclear waste sites, whose radioactivity has nothing to do with nuclear war. And also, golden geckos for some reason.

Fallout 1 and 2 have a relatively realistic portrayal of radiation. The backstory is fairly well-researched and consistent.

The thing with Fallout 1 and 2 is that for basically everything strange, the answer is "FEV did it". Two headed cows? FEV did it. Giant scorpions? FEV did it. Humans turned into shambling half-rotting abominations? FEV reacting with their badly radiation-scrambled genes did it. And really, they're just very old, badly injured people who won't succumb to age or disease. Super mutants? FEV did it. Psychic powers? Apparently FEV did it?

Because Bethesda had Fallout 3 be 200 years after the bombs fell for, the reason was so they could please the dipshit pretending-to-be-quirky crowd that they call a fanbase.

Forced Evolutionary Virus makes sense for causing mutations, because that's the whole basis for evolution, and thus the virus. Supermutants is a bit different, because they were mostly created on purpose by the Master or in Vault 87 Which was a fucking dumb plot point in Fallout 3. Because it's not like any Supermutants could have made their way to the East Coast, no, there was just a Vault that conveniently made the exact same time of mutant as the Master.
Was the Gecko Power Plant actually leaking radiation into the groundwater or was that just propaganda that First Citizen bitch made up?

They couldn't even manage that, there's dialogue and text all through the game talking about how the bombs dropped recently.

What's your point? Grass also holds topsoil in place, but there isn't an abundance of grasslands in the Mojave Desert or the West Coast, is there?

I think that was the experiment for Vault 15 which resulted in a fracturing and people forming Shady Sands and others becoming raiders. Also the raiders in the series appear to be very mixed like the mongrels they are.

Then you have the NCR that are civilisation so people stop murdering each other. Then Caesar forces the tribes into one big Nation by breaking down their tribal roots and mixing them together.

Unless there was a vault that was filled with White Power Skinheads and Black Panthers racism is mainly reserved for Ghouls and Super Mutants

Not everyone instantly hates races other than their own. I'm aware of the neurological response that people have when they see someone with a different skin colour, but you're retarded if you think it's safer to just trust people whose skin matches yours, because they're just as likely to fuck you as anyone else.

It's not specifically about hate, but it most certainly is a matter of trust. I get the impression the writers of many series recently have used their own cosmopolitan experiences to write and shoehorn them into such settings instead of asking the anthropologists and historians what people in the past (which is more similar to the setting than now) would conduct themselves.

All writers just draw from their own experiences. Bethesda's writers are lazy and Pete Hines doesn't think dialogue should exist in games, but I doubt there's any devs who would go to the effort of speaking with anthropologists or historians to be accurate. They can get away with presenting the world however they want, even if it's totally at odds with the original games, because they decide all the rules now.

They did all of those things in the original games you retard. That's what they were all about.

Yes, we understand the modern Bethesda fanfiction fallouts blow

Even the Witcher devs talked with botanists to make sure they had the right vegetation for various climates/environments.

Yeah, but usually when you do that you don't burn all the countries trees down because you want to prevent any wind erosion taking place and scraping the topsoil away.

There's still a ton of rainforests and regular forests all throughout Australia. And there's such a thing as spontaneous bushfires. You're an idiot if you think the whole of Australia is just a dustbowl.

Less than 10 percent of it's now suitable for farming, not enough to support it's current population.

kill yourself bethesdrone

holy shit now that's some super-virgin hyper-autism

Less than 10 percent of what? If you're talking about forests then you're retarded, because the majority of them are protected by national parks, and they don't make for good cropland.
If you're talking about Australia as a whole, you're also retarded and pretty fucking wrong, because almost half of Australia's total land is used for agriculture.
abs.gov.au/ausstats/[email protected]/mf/7121.0
385 million hectares are used out of a total 769 million hectares.

Nice buzzwords :^)

Have you ever gotten or will you ever get laid?

You hopping IDs there buddy?
I'm not defending women, I'm arguing that there have been successful female leaders. Because leadership is dependant on specific personality traits, charisma and intelligence, which some men and women have, and some don't. For every good female leader there's a shit one, same for men. More men have proved to be successful in leadership than women, but arguing that no woman has every successfully ruled a country is retarded.

Fallout 4 is the best REAL OPEN WORLD after Skyrim?

I posted here last night and switch IPs because the network software starts on each startup. Anime is chan culture. Women are dumb and it's only in times of excess or decadence that they are permitted to do anything because you need men the rest of the time.

You really hit it out of the park man

anime is trash kill youself

no u

But that's wrong, Imam Ahmed Mohammed ibn Achmed al Hamad. Women are allowed some liberties in proper societies, and they were treated very well. Dowry payments were always in favour of the woman and her family for instance. An egg is a valuable thing, sperm is cheap and nigh worthless.

This, matriarchal societies that had female leaders have been the most successful societies in history.

Yeah, all two of them compared to the other island tribes around them.

Maybe it was named after "fallout bunker/shelter"?

Well we're treading new territory.

For the first time gender equality and atheism/ietsism are mainstream.

Like which fucking one?

Only perpetual third world shitholes have been matriarchal.

I think the problem with consistency lies mostly with Bethesda.

Prob the strongest bait in this entire thread

I'm glad todd posting has died down.

There's not much in the way of strong evidence for the existence of truly matriarchal societies. There's some classical sources that describe places where women were the dominant sex, and there's modern examples of matrilineal societies, which is probably what you're thinking of, where leadership is decided through the maternal line, but the power is still in the hands of men. Some people argue that a handful of these could be matriarchal, but it's all debate.
Attributing any of the ones in Africa or SE Asia with success is because of the men in those societies.

SWEDEN

this

we never get to see specifically what types of nukes are being used

i think we can assume the us fired off fat mans, little boys and h-bombs, but did the chinks acquire anything near their power, or greater? also, if house had a nuke deflection program, it's safe to say that other parts of the country/world might have as well.

try again

They erased LA. The only things that survived were metal supports for buildings. There's also the Glow, which stayed radioactive for at least 150 years or so. The west coast was pretty much annihilated, with the only real surviving city being San Francisco. The chinks probably had similar nuclear capabilities as the US, but didn't survive long enough to use all of them.

Todd didn't choose the name my boy. Anyway yes, it's humanity fallout after the radioactive fallout. Humanity reached new heights, to the point that they were close to colonize space. Then the bombs exploded. From that point every generation became more savage. For example, there weren't that many tribals in the first title, and they weren't too different from the other wastelanders. By then, even the most advanced factions like the cyphers and the bos got dumber. Even the institute has been changed, you can read about father arguing that the institute goal is not to develop technology and that cybernetic is to be put behind bioengineering. The only faction that didn't "fall out" is the enclave.