Why was this franchise not successful? Was it too generic?

Why was this franchise not successful? Was it too generic?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/0CeLxVkxcnY
strawpoll.com/5w89zx2
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

the first game was the only decent one

It was just WWII shooter in space
Doesn't get any more generic than that

It had six games over almost 10 years on 5 different platforms. What's successful in your books?

No outstanding games crippled it. Mercenary was great however.

What's the metric for 'successful' in this context? From what I understand, KZ has done pretty well financially ever since 2.

Second game is the highlight of the series. Great visuals, fantastic voiceovers, great multiplayer. Third game had some promising things, but was mediocre overall. Same with SF.

Pretty much. You already knew who was going to win. Should've let us play the Helghast at least once, they were clearly the best group.

kz1 was rather shitty, even discounting the horrible framerate and tiny field of vision and silent-hill-tier fog

2 and 3 were decent sci-fi war shooters, 4 was a shizophrenic turd of crapped together gamedesigns and had the worst story of all 4 games

It didn't have anything great going for it other than graphics, the shooting was generic and somewhat anti-fun and annoying, but it was praised as the most "accurate military simulation" by so-called Army experts they got shill for it, the setting and story wasn't that great, I liked Hakha and Rico the foul-mouthed mexican till they fucking made him a nigger by the Killzone 2, the villains you could sympathize because they were justified in their anger and militerazation, but holy fuck, Guerilla are shit when it comes to writing and making believable sci-fi, the tactics and strategy of the whole armies in the game is fucking WW2 in Space, it was retardation too much, that it suspends disbelief. Well anyways tl:dr Grahpics is the only shill point for it, Helghast is the only good thing in it, everything is so, generic. Also they jump from Killzone to this

Mercenary was made by the creators of MediEvil

medievil is a really good gaymes

Agreed, too bad the studio got dumped towards PS Vita and got rebranded to Guerilla Cambridge, and last January they finally closed down, because Sony are fucking shit when it comes to taking care of their talent and studios.

the name alone is generic as fuck and should tell you all you need to know about this trash.

"killzone", why not call it "death guy" or "murder shooter". Also "look at this shiny edgy space armor, wooo so radicool!". garbage.

This. You play again and again as the squad of goodest goys, meanwhile Helghan did nothing wrong time and time again.

Sony and their shills were so fucking stupid when it came to names, here's another Halo-Killer, RIP Free Radical and Timesplitters.

God I'm so glad that whole era is over.

MOST FUN I EVER HAD WITH MY PANTS ON

Because they refuse to let you play as the good guys.

Glad those times are done with

this

Remember when they wanted the Tomb Raider market and they made better games than Tomb Raider?
Off the top of my head

I'd play a game called Death Guy.

I thought that was the

You and me both user. Too bad it's more preferable to today's WE WANT THE OPEN WORLD/SOCJUS CUCK AUDIENCE

I wouldn't call it unsuccessful. Although, the series has a lot of problems. The only real good things about it are the designs for the guns/Helghasts. The gun play/multiplayer was always pretty good for a console game. There the kind of games only worth a rental or buying used.

Then there is the absolute shit show of a story to these games. Everything seems to be written under the mindset of "If we make the Helghasts look like the super bad no good ebil nazis, no one will sympathize with them!" Every single attempt to make the Helghasts look bad completely falls flat on its face, especially when the ISA commit far worse crimes in the series. It doesn't help that the ISA are just bland good goys with absolute blandest looking designs in any game franchise. All of this helps the game just stay mediocre.

The entire series can be easily saved by just letting us play as the Helghasts, putting a competent writer on staff, and replacing the ISA with a better faction.

Also

Because the current trend is so much better

That piece of shit Rico, that's why.

explains a lot. I think it would benefit everyone close to Sony if guerilla got rid of their design staff and just kept the tech team.

i'm pretty sure they wanted to make it gray area, they never really outright call the ISA good guys save for sev and gaz. rico consistently makes things worse for the heroes by being a hoorah-fuckwit and in shadowfall they show the ISA as being more dickheads than usual. Also from what i remember it's only in the booklet for killzone 1 where it proves the whole reason the helghast became the helghast is becasue the ISA forced them off onto their fucked up planet

i liked the backdrop to the series but it had lots of kinks to iron out. Shadowfall dropped it on its ass because its a killzone game without any fucking killzones (so to say) since you spend half your game lurking around doing stealth

Can any studio be any more JUST than Guerilla Games?

I see you nintendrone

Everyone wants to play as the Helghast. Even fucking normalfags want to play as the Helghast. So what do the devs do? Not let us plays as the Helghast.

Vita one was the only good thing about it because they really worked its little ass. Game still holds up today.

It's a boring tankfest otherwise, and while space Nazis are technically an appealing concept theirs were so safe and boring it was just a wasted chance.

I was really fond of the German localization and voice work though, have some Stalin but seriously Stahl sounded SO amazing.

youtu.be/0CeLxVkxcnY

Thats the thing though, the Vita one is where you can side with the Helghast for a bit, and eventually you fuck over them and the ISA as well on your mission to be a dick ass merc with your slav Black Market buddy.

Its also the most interesting out of all the Killzone games because there's a scoring/cash system in place instead of being another bland shooter.

Can confirm, even though I've never had any real interest in the series I always thought the adverts with the Helghast was fucking cool and thought it was lame that you didn't play as them.

Can we instead talk about how this became a franchise spanning 10 years?
In playing it now and its awful, I can't even tell what I'm shooting. And god all the fucking guns feel the same, no feedback whatsoever.

HOW DOES THIS HAVE 5 SEQUELS

GG really needs to introduce a third side to the conflict. Some evil ISA-backing corporation or even ayy lmaos. That would create a reason to make ISA and space nazis cooperate.

Killzones are just tech demos for the play station.

[Desire for "exclusives" intensifies]

Only played the first game and I remember the guns having recoil and I remember the ISA shotgun being kinda glitchy and fun

Because the only good game was 2.

Because it was advertised as the Halo killer and because they're great graphical showcases of their respective systems. I think Halo was better before 4, but there were better shooters on the PS2 like Black and Timesplitters

You don't get to play as the good guys.

Found your reasons OP

It's a reference to IRL military tactics. Not saying it's a good name, but it's not comparable to "death guy".

You never got to play as the helghast.

Solely because of the Kerber-I MEAN HELGHAST.

The Helghast are just that cool, you can also see the Helghast by their glowing bright orange goggles. But then again it was a time when everything must be brown, now everything must be futuristic white.

This. It was being held hostage by a console. If it was on PC however…

Honestly, I'll settle for a remaster of Killzone 2 on the PS4.
2 and Mercenary were the only good games out of the franchise.
Never played 1. But 3 and SF went full retard.

No nationalism allowed! Bad goy!

The only TRUE killzone game man. Its awesome, always wished it had a PC port.

Coming from someone who has never played and barely heard of it,the fact of genericness and the fact that it's mediocre,probably.

You know,someone that has tortured himself with Sony's Smash Bros.Radec's story mode and quotes are quite interesting,go look it up or something.

I'm surprised it never got a RTS spin-off.

The cucks at Guerrilla would never let you play as the space Nazis.

Blame Killzone 2 and Rico, quite possibly one of the most hated characters in video game history.

The entire plot of everything getting worse can be traced back to him killing Visari, its thanks to Ricos actions is that the demand for a pro helghast game finally came out with you playing as Visaris grand daughter to stop the helghast holocaust.

Had Rico simply not killed Visari at the end of Killzone 2, the godawful mess that was the future games would not have happened.

But Rico is the most realistic depiction of a spic in video games.

You couldn't play as the good guys.

goes where he's unwelcome and then looks down upon the rightful people of the land?

A lot of the story in killzone 2 is entirely retarded.

Can't follow orders worth shit, talks like a nigger, is lazy and kills innocent white people for no good reason other than he's angry.

Killzone in general is fucking retarded on every level, the only reason people give a shit about it is the Helghast.

why do spics talk like niggers like half the time anyway? They use the same slang and everything. It's usually the half that isn't constantly saying essay

You know, there's a point where you're just fucking overdesigning. Why the fuck is he wearing a kneepad with what looks like a mains electric toggle switch on his arm? All that chunky ass armor (look at the brick on his wrist) and he's got exposed uniform underneath.
Helghan still 10/10 though, better than (((ISA))).

Speaking of Sony franchises, i'm gonna drop this here

strawpoll.com/5w89zx2

Spigger here, it's due to the same street/gang culture of the east coast. East coast spics are also mostly un-Mexican't (that's how you got Latinos that voted for Trump).

Amazing game with great lore that got ruined by unimaginative and uneven pacing ala MGS5. I still maintain that Killzone 2 has one of the best FPS campaigns ever with the kind of graphics and animations that still wow me to this day. The fucking motion blur still makes me do a double-take everytime.

Maybe playstation base doesn't care about FPS as much as the xbox crowd? I know I'd rather play some jrpg.

I play it every night after work. The servers are still packed and the levels are massive for a fucking handheld.

That per-object motion blur and body animations are God-like.

Mercenary is basically Killzone and Crysis had a baby with Hitman 2016.

You get to kill ISA scum in the last two levels of Mercenary.

The Helghast are basically the Jin-Roh from the anime, design wise.

Play Killzone 2. It still rocks at multiplayer.

Man, the missions were massive with each taking me like 2 hours to finish, unlike the 5 minute shooting galleries of KZ3.

Well, Goddamn, they're trying!

Man, nothing else comes close on the Vita, both in the gameplay and graphics department. Grab a PSTV and play it online.

You side with the Helghast in the end and stop Benoit from taking the Bio-weapon that could kill either side. Also you save the kid that's like half helghan from Gray, Kratek and Benoit.

A killzone is a place where the most casualties occur during a battle.

RWDS my nigga.

How about you play the game yourself and find out, newfag.

Killzone Liberation says hi.

So how many PC exclusive triple A shooters have come out for PC in the last 5 years? Are you guys ever gonna move on?

Because they kept trying to make us think something called the Terracide was a good thing that heroes do. As they were developing a neurotoxin to use on the surviving civilians.

You are retarded

lel

My kid self wanted to racemix so hard with the orange wearing girl. Fucking frogs

Because you play as the bad guys that have the most boring and generic designs possible.

It would have been better if you played as the 'bad guys'.

a game being unavailable on PC is a good thing, cmon now

there's this portugese girl I knew, and at a glance you'd think she's white from her skin but the accent totally throws it off. She was very proper surprisingly. I'm also on the east coast, so I see them a lot acting like that.

Portugal is white

Whatever you say, pal. Next thing you know, you'll tell me that Argentina is white.

Because it was pushed MERCILESSLY by Sony as being a "Halo killer"; from its conception right up to release that stupid title was plastered across every Sony magazine you could get your hands on. I remember some British game site posted a video touting how the game was going to be so great and basically shat out a list of everything that FPS games had already had for the last 7 years. Meanwhile you watched as the player shot up a bunch of Helghast and one of them had such crappy AI that it just SAT there watching him kill their buddies.

I initially didn't like Killzone as a concept because I actually liked Halo, but I delved into some of the backstory posted on the website at the time, and it looked like a very nice WW1-ish atmospheric war game, and that was really appealing.

The graphics were a joke compared to Halo's - mostly thanks to the rough resolutions of the PS2 - but the reloading animations were a nice touch for sure. I also heard about the extra play through offering other characters and was interested enough to pick it up myself….

…which turned out to be for the worst. I played the whole game once, and there was nothing special about it. Support characters (especially Rico) were all annoying and had crappy voice actors, made worse by the fact that the sound was so bad it sounded like I was playing Laser Tag with a British Arnold Schwarzenegger.

Hell, this came out at around the time Halo 2 was released, and it couldn't even beat the original. I wasn't even a big fan of H2, but both it and Half-Life 2 left this game in the dust.

Killzone 2 was fun though. Generic, but fun (and a vast improvement over 1). Haven't played the rest. How were they?

We need a game with good gunplay like killzone or wolfenstein but you play as the nazi looking guys instead of the jews.

Because everything in the game's lore showed that the space nazis were actually right to rebel against an oppressive force but the devs refused to make them sympathetic or make them the stars of their own titles. So people lost interest.

Just play mercenary

At least that means we get games which don't take themselves seriously.

Honestly people complain about what's become trendy right now, but we have things a lot better than we used to in that respect.

That wasn't a RTS, that was a top down shooter if anything.

There's a very weird dedication in overwatch, the game is obviously light hearted but there is some serious agenda pushing going on there.

If you want to see games that don't take themselves too seriously, visit some old games that had a sense of comedy, games like Cotton 2.

Raus.

I'm hoping they'll go "Overwatch is the Prequel to Starcraft and this was the degenerate state of the world before the UED came into power." But I know it'll never happen.

Portugal didn't get fucked over by Arabs like Spain did. Unfortunately, Portugal has Brazil, which may as well be Africa.

The controls on the PS2 were dogshit muddy.

Fucking this. My abiding memory of it is shooting godknows what with sluggish controls, played like ass.

Is this Fallout 3 from Little Big Planet?

THIIIISSSSS. Hell, in the lore, the Helgasht werent even that evil, so thats enought to make redemption story. No wonder the series didnt reeached its potential.

They kinda tried to do that with Shadowfall but it was half-assed as fuck.

Are Brazilians white?

More white than the Germans, at this point.

Some are, some aren't. Guess which side's white?