Worth a pirate?

Can anyone tell me if this game is or isn't worth it and why? I've heard a bunch of praise for it but when I look at it, all I see is pretentious Unity3d asset flip game with puzzles. Some people even say it's like Myst, and that's already enough to make me doubt. When someone says "This game is like this other game you like! Honest!" It means the game isn't its own thing and just tries to ape something else. Nontheless, I still want to know what you guys think.

That's exactly right, user. Granted, some of those puzzles are rather clever, but overall it's a pretty crap, overpriced game that's really nothing like Myst at all.

I don't want to seem like I'm shilling a Youtuber but this review does sum up why you shouldn't bother playing it, if you have 40 minutes of time to kill.

Worth a buy at full price. Myst wishes it was as good as this game. Stellar writing, legitimately ingenious puzzles, and one of the most profound endings I've ever seen.

Is this a copy-pasted Steam review

I like it, myself. Walk around and solve some puzzles. More over, Myst's puzzles are obtuse as fuck; these are right in front of you and you gotta logic out how they work, aside from the optional environmental lines that you may not figure out you can do.

I mean, if you don't like FPS games, you shouldn't play Doom and expect to be blown away; this game scratches an itch i definitely have, though.

Get The Talos Principle and its expansion instead. It did everything Witness didn't right.

shill

I'll check it out. Thanks.

So, a comfy game? And I do like First Person Shootan. Hell, I've been playing nothing but Quake this week.

Played it, beat it, enjoyed the hell out of it.

in the witness you have to solve a murder mystery, but it turns out nobody killed the guy, it was an accident. there, now you don't need to pirate it.

There is a torrent of the GoG version now, so I would say it is worth it.

The game starts out kinda slow, and you will wonder if all you do is solve line puzzles, and while yeah, that is mostly what you do, there is another layer to the game that is pretty damn satifying to figure out for yourself even if it takes a little while to get there.

I would have bought it because I loved Braid, but Blow was such a faggot during GG that I can never give him another cent.

Guess I'll give it a shot. If I really like it, I might just buy it

No, it is awful

Puzzles are simple and repetitive with no real progression or synthesis between the different mechanics. A majority of them revolve around whether two shapes should or should not be on the same side of the line, any other puzzle is insultingly gimmicky. It doesn't end once you get inside the mountain but you'll wish it had. I pirated it and I want my time back

Joseph Anderson is a hack

The game definitely has its share of problems, honestly it feels like the dev was desperately trying to think of as many ways to be clever as possible in an attempt to justify putting so much polish for gameplay you would expect to see in a flash game. Consequently some of it results in some obtuse bullshit.

Having said that people here are probably going to make the game sound far worse than it actually is. I can definitely appreciate how the game intentionally doesn't explain shit to you and treats itself like a point-and-click,where instead of exploring the game world for items to solve puzzles, you're exploring for the actual knowledge of how to beat them.

It's a game that goes on for about twice as long as it should, piles on stupid and annoying gimmicks on top of the puzzles to make them hard - literal artificial difficulty like flashing panels that just hurt your eyes - and has a 2deep4you story with pretentious as FUCK voice logs. If you want to 100% the game you'll have to watch 40 minute video in game about some unrelate boring as fuck shit. The starting puzzles are pretty good and there's a moment where you get the "gimmick" which is cool but then, like I said, the game goes on for twice as long after that and ruins the puzzles with things that make them annoying instead of fun or interesting.

I wouldn't recommend it to anyone. Especially not to buy it. If you pirate it you'll at least feel better when you drop it when it starts going downhill but honestly it's just a waste of time.

I played both and I enjoyed them both but I will say I struggled with the Witness puzzles more than I did the Talos ones. While the Talos principle was enjoyable it didn't feel challenging at all for me, I feel like this is important for a puzzle game but some people may enjoy other elements of Talos more such as the art and story, I'm usually only ever focused on gameplay of games. The Witness is the first game in a while that really made me think about solutions and that effort extends between multiple puzzles and even the environment itself. There was some of that in Talos as well but it never felt as rewarding to me, I feel bad for not being able to explain why here, but it just felt like I knew what I was doing the whole time and never had to actually figure things out or piece things together.

I'd recommend them both but I do honestly think they're both overvalued too. Price on video games is always weird factor though so I don't ever like to mention it but since OP is talking about pirating anyway I'd say they're defiantly worth a playthrough, after that you decide what price you'd pay for them if any.

I don't think you know what an asset flip is, but either way, that still leaves it as a pretentious puzzle game, and the puzzles aren't good.

Please explain your point of view.

What, that The Witness is awful or that Joseph Anderson is a hack? I already did the first one, unless you want an essay

The second one, sorry.

If you don't play this game you're just as bad as them!!!

He didn't say buy it, faggot.

I have watched several of his videos fully and thought they were not very good. At first I felt like I was being overly harsh to a relatively new reviewer, since I had never heard his name until within the past year, but I stopped feeling bad once I saw he has over 110k subscribers and receives a thousand a month through Patreon

As a broad complaint I think each video I watched was loosely-structured word vomit that could have been edited down to a fourth of its length and would have been better for it. As a more specific and subjective complaint he said some things in those videos, sometimes opening statements, that are just mind-numbingly retarded and would have had him laughed out of any thread on Holla Forums

I know he lurks Holla Forums so on the off chance it's you, Joseph, please step up your game. It may have taken Matt years before he could write a good script too but he worked towards it

Bought it and finished 99%
Puzzles are varied in difficulty with great progression and synthesis systems between different types. The best part IS inside the mountain where you go 3D with the solutions. Also pareidolia - the game.

One thing that sucks and everyone will agree are those sound puzzles in the jungle. That's just mental when you have a bad ear.

Don't buy unless

Pretty fair shake. Personally, I like having a low voiced review series that i can leave on while i go do other things, but there's no denying that he has awful taste, and it's extremely obvious in the very narrow selection of games that he can say are like other games. Every 3d puzzle game is portal, every 3d hackanslashan is dark souls, every rpg is final fantasy. He has narrow referance pools and his content suffers for it.

Indie shit of the month.

If you're gonna do it bring friends and alcohol.

"The Witness. It is worth a pirate? Is it, is it, is it? Let's read the words, the words guys, the words, from the developers."

I'm fairly certain the people who play Jonathan Blow games don't have friends, and are 2deep4u to drink either.