Factorio Thread

Is there any server we can play and autistically screech at eachother when someone messes with our factories?

I'm waiting for the new version before I get back to it.

Same here. Waiting for those nuclear power plants.

Would never play multiplayer. It's just a mess.

I'm still waiting for there to actually be a purpose to the factories you make beyond building factories so you can build more factories.

What do you want the factory to do, mine bitcoin?

I just want there to be a reason to be making these things, it feels like theres no point designing a nice factory or producing more than the absolute bare minimum that you need to build more shit because the only point in building the shit in the first place is just to build more shit.
It just gives me no mans sky vibes and makes me not want to play at all because theres no point to it all.

If you need validation for building nice factories post screenshots in Factorio threads, otherwise the point is probably that well-designed factories aren't a nightmare to expand… I wouldn't know, I got a satellite into space and stopped playing. I won!

You know someone trying to defend no mans sky said a similar thing to me, that I wasn't enjoying the game because I didn't upload screenshots of all my wacky animal discoveries online for people to see.

I just don't understand how that supposed to make the game feel any less pointless.

The point of the game is to see how you get logistics done.

Well since nobody wants to play factorio, what about OpenTTD? anyone wants to host a serb?

So is barreling crude oil the thing to do for long distance? I always piped, but that can get obnoxious after a while.

You're supposed to enjoy playing games, that's the point. What do you want?

I am wondering, is there even a mod for OpenTTD that adds in combat mechanic and killing bugs?

Multiplayer is fun once your burnt out of doing everything yourself. You can choose what parts you want to build and let someone else do what you don't want to do and fix your stuff when you fuck up. Someone set up a Holla Forums server a while ago and we played through vanilla then switched to a heavily modded version. I don't think we ever beat that one, either everyone lost interest or there were server issues, I forget. I'd be willing to play in the morning if someone set up a server.

The end goal is to launch a rocket. At least it has some meaningful gameplay and the ending doesn't just reset the game unlike no mans sky. Yeah it's a shitty kind of meaningless goal but it's something if you need something tangible besides seeing how far your autism can go.

>OpenTTD: War Logistics

I just want them to buff the shit out of aliens until they tyranids then make the robot army mod a game feature to deal with them.

Oh yes.

I really like trains and the logistics to do with them and I've never really gotten a clear answer on how the fuck pipe throughput works over distance, and how pumps can actually LESSEN it and it provides an easy indicator for how much crude you're bringing in and if you might need more. Pipes don't tell you anything unless you rig up a circuit network with some kind of visual indicator for the throughput; people have done this, but I prefer just clicking on a chest and seeing what's inside it.

I think machines and tanks have a "pull", so if you have multiple machines or tanks connected to the pipe on one end, it'll have the combined pull of all of them. But if you put 1 pump before them all, you'll limit the pull to 1 device as opposed to many, even if the pump is stronger than any individual machine.

I have no idea if that's true but that's kinda how I understood it.

Yeah, that makes sense, but there's also some kind of maximum number of pipe tiles a fluid can travel before there isn't enough "pressure" to keep it going. I've seen people taking long runs of pipe and doing shit like splitting the pipe into six different pipes, attaching a pump to all of them, recombining the six back into one, and it works. That's pants-on-head-retarded compared to how things work in reality.

What they should do is split the values of distance and throughput into two issues with two solutions. Pipes can only have fluid travel a certain distance, and you need pumps to keep the flow going for farther, but the throughput is always the same whether there is a pump there or not. So if you need to use a pump as a check-valve controlled by a circuit network, it won't change the throughput. However, the throughput of the basic (iron) pipes is very limited. If you want more throughput in a single pipe, you need to use better pipes, that are made with, say, steel, and then a third tier that is concrete+steel. These could just be the same size of pipe, but colored/styled differently, and the implication is that the better pipes can handle more pressure and thus have a higher throughput. It would also help if they wouldn't automatically connect to adjacent pipes if they are a different type. In order to connect different types, you need to craft special adapters. That would limit issues with pipe spaghetti.

Like freaking EVERYTHING ELSE, I'm willing to bet Bob's Mods already does this…

There are multiple pipe types with different underground distances and stuff in bob's but there's no change to pipe mechanics. Hopefully the official tanker isn't as buggy as the modded one.

Make it your goal to tame the local wildlife.

this is what is needed.

Bump. Do electric mining drills consume power and cause pollution when not mining anything (ie when the line is full)? Started a new game, want to use separate coal lines for each of running the boilers, smelting copper, smelting iron, etc. to keep things neat, decoupled, and easy to tear apart when I eventually get to electric furnaces, but I'd rather not waste power and pollute.

I know inserters and assembly machines have standby power drain, so I assume electric miners do, too. It might also have a very small pollution output, but I don't know. I always fill mine with efficiency modules when I can afford to mass-produce them, though, so it's less important.

It would probably be fairly easy to rig up some kind of circuit network that disconnects power from that group of miners whenever it detects the belt is full.

Pumps have a max throughput of 30 fluid/sec. The pipes themselves are fucked and their throughput depends on which order they were built in.

Tankers are kind of superfluous when you can just set up assemblers that take empty barrels from a train, fill them and put them back in. You just need to reserve a couple of slots in the wagon for full and empty barrels so it doesn't clog.

0.15 when

Buildings only cause pollution whilst they are actually running.
Power consumption on the otherhand is different, it might have standby power consumption like inserters, which in turn could translate to pollution if you don't have enough solar memes.

Are there mechs yet?
I want a mech army to shoah aliens. And go around building fire bases for me.
Also Blue Gender mod.
And a Starship Troopers mod
And a rape mod. I wanna be a girl and get violated by insectoid aliens.

Barrels are kind of a pain in the ass unless you control the number with a circuit network. Otherwise you get shit happening like all your empty barrels end up sitting at one oil outpost that doesn't have a lot of units/sec., and there aren't enough for all the other outposts. Either that or have separate trains and unbarreling stops for each outpost, which is wasteful.

Wat?

Yeah but only if you unload more than you need. If you unload them directly into the assembler that fills them there's no buffer for them to pile up in. With 4 assembler 3 + speed mod 3 you can load 250 oil a second.

Throughput depends on which order they were built in. If you build the pipes from the source to the destination it will flow a bit faster because they update in the right order. Not a huge deal but you notice it on long pipes.

Early February :^)

Yeah, but if there is no buffer then you're wasting barreling time whenever the train isn't there. I suppose it's less important if you have that level of throughput, but it just feels better when outposts are functioning even when I'm not there.

B-but it's mid-March…

Is the new update out yet? I'm tired of waiting. I want my nukes. I'm gonna Fukushima the entire alien planet.

bump