Gameboy thread

Let's have a GB/GBC.
Post and discuss your favorite games and thing about the Gameboy.

One of the best games for the system

Link's Awakening. 2D Zeldas haven't been the same since.
Wario Land
OP pic related
That one Kirby block bust game
Super Mario Bros. Deluxe
Battletoads

Man, the GB was a glorious system. Can we go back to that?

I still enjoy playing through Super Mario Land every once in a while.

My first handheld was a 3DS

Underage v&

The 3DS was released 8 years ago, even if I was 10 at that point I could be overaged

goddamn those things were built like brick shithouses.
If only everything else built today would be as sturdy.
I still have donkey kong land 2 and 3 which are still great
Great music too.

nice try you child

Does anybody have the list of recommended games for the gameboy? I remember someone made one for the last GB thread.

Meh, I only played pokemon red and kirby on my gameboy (pocket)

Shit sucks

GBA/DSi are godlike

what really bugs me is how they managed to ruin this series when it came to the ds.
Honestly they turned a decent rpg into a boring, on rails, minigame filled, shovelware.

bump

Mole Mania anybody?
The lack of a sequel on either the DS/3DS feels like a missed opportunity considering they could have used each screen to represent the underground/above ground play fields simultaneously.

3DS VC. Get to it.

I prefer the beach theme myself (I'm a sucker for the echo-y effect)

Post your most played games from the console

Bump

Patrician-tier, I know.

Played the hell out of Emerald and KATAM in particular, way back when.

user, you are in the wrong handheld

Power Quest

This one is the first not really in the series, is very similar to the GBA games.

Which would you say is the best out of these three?

With Link's Awakening I meant DX. Didn't realize that was a pic of the original GB version until after it was already posted.

Holy balls. I played this game like 100 times in middle school. I fucking loved this game.

Wrong system user.

They're all good in their own way. I would say LA since we wouldn't have the oracle games without it.

Why not take this to /vr/, it could use the posts?

I don't think that would work at this point. Decay spiral generally forces anyone wanting to discuss vidya back to Holla Forums, even if they'd prefer a different video game board (or at least different management) in comparison. Most non-Holla Forums vidya boards are slow as fuck if not dead (though that could honestly be said of most boards in the site past the top twenty or so, and even then there's a noticable gap between the top two and the rest of the active ones, both in PPH and poster count), and even if they were once of reasonable popularity, as people head back to more broad boards for more people to post amongst, it reduces the amount of people talking, and thus more people leave; the issue becomes a perpetuating thing (hence why I've come to call it a "decay spiral", as the decay of the poster count and PPH feeds into itself). I'd wager another problem is that due to the sheer number of boards present on the site, not every board can be in the top or bottom nav sections at once (for most one has to personally sift through the board list page), which harms visibility, and unless the user actively sets a board to be in their personal bar, it might be a while until it cycles back into the "featured boards" section. And while some might say to just more actively shill a board you'd like to see get more active users, doing so seems to get considered a touchy subject; at worst, people feel the alternative board is impinging on the more popular board's turf, and at best you get a mixture of honestly interested anons and people just looking for some new place to shitpost to death. Also worth noting that even the active userbase of the largest boards are still rather small, especially compared to halfchan (though I'd argue it's better for boards here to be nowhere close to their equivalents' sizes), so between lack of visibility and that factor, I think most people just tend to stay on the larger boards, or eventually drift back as activity on other ones dwindle.

Now, ideally, crossposting something like this thread to /vr/ might help with increasing activity there a bit, but when the bulk of the board is slow/dead, not a lot of people are liable to actually post there (even if they're aware of the board's existence) when chances are high that they won't get a reply for quite a while, if ever. Granted, I do check /vr/ myself one or twice a day just to see if anything's going on there, but I highly doubt it will recover at this point. Hell, it's even in Holla Forums's "related boards" blotter (or whatever you want to call it) and pretty much no one uses it. In general, not many non-Holla Forums vidya board seems to get all that popular/active, and in cases one does rise up, it can be expected to get shitposted against hard or treated as if it's causing Holla Forums's own issues. It's as if it's "Holla Forums or bust" for active vidya discussion.

Anyhow, just my own longwinded thoughts on the matter from what I've seen. If you were wanting to increase /vr/'s visibility with that post, it would have been better to crosslink it directly, as opposed to just naming it.
>>>/vr/

Polite sage for off topic post.

Holy fucking shit calm down.

Donkey Kong and Wario Land(s) are the only good games Nintendo has ever made. It's such a shame they don't want to do anything innovative and involved with all their money but instead want to make childish games for Americans with sub90 IQ or those with autism who wish to remain children forever.

Nigga,_do_you_really_expect_me_to_read_all_that_shit_by:you.jpg

my nigger

In terms of quality:
Oracle of Ages > Oracle of Seasons
Oracle of Ages ≈ Link's Awakening DX

Awakening > Ages > Seasons
All were great, though. Too bad the third Oracle game never panned out.
Post your favorite dungeon

It does have some pretty good music.

I think this is kind of a flaw in the "infinite boards" system. At least, it's a flaw in the sense that it's not how people want the system to work. Maybe if there were a dozen or so categories for boards, and you could see a specific category instead of only the big list? (Theoretically, the tag system would more or less cover this, but it seems to be broken.)

Meh, it was something I'd been meaning to write up for a while anyhow and needed more of an excuse to. Felt good to just kind of get it out there.

Yeah, I'd say that 8ch has been something of an experiment. I certainly have liked it here, but the system does have flaws to it, especially what with how most of the board list might as well be a damn graveyard (there's over 10000 boards, but the sheer bulk of them are pretty much dead).

I've seen people mention before having some sort of "overboard" that would show a few threads from any boards that fall under its categories (IE: a vidya one would pull a few threads from the likes of Holla Forums, /vr/, /vg/, etc) as a way of both helping with visibility and showcasing what people are actively discussing there.

I can say having only played awakening up until recently I was initially disappointed at times by the overall quality of seasons in comparison. Now that I'm moving on to ages it does seem more coherent so far. Dungeon rooms which were made to be placed in any dungeon for filler and inconsistent sprite art direction were two big ones.

Playing through Power Tour before playing this game didn't feel right. It was pretty damn hard too since there were no special power bullshit in it. Seriously Power Tour really screwed up with that. The powers were interesting but made the game so easy. The balance was pretty bad. The GBC game was all about skill.

Magi Nation was an amazing RPG on the gbc that's well deserving of it's cult status.

Metal Walker is I game I played the shit out of as a kid, but I can't find many who actually remembers it.

Also great. I remember it being surprisingly challenging towards the end of the game.

The RPG mode for this was amazing.

Ages > Seasons >>>>>> LA
LA had muh feels and that's it, everything else was boring, poorly designed, and piss easy.

Is the GBA the inferior console series?

Seems like there just aren't as many good games for the GBA that aren't RPGs

Advance Guardian Heroes
Advance Wars 1, 2
Bomberman Tournament
Dragon Ball Advanced Adventure
The Klonoa puzzle games if you're into furbait puzzle games
TLoZ Minish Cap
Max Payne Advance
Megaman & Bass
Megaman Zero series
Metroid Zero Mission
Naruto Ninja Council 2
Sonic Advance 3
Sonic Battle
Star Wars Episode III
WarioWare Inc.

To say a console is inferior just because most of its memorable games are RPGs is retarded. Also wrong thread.

My first handheld was the basic Gameboy, with the classic cartridges you'd expect and one or two oddities. In order,
Every of those games were amazing. Never regretted any purchase.

Had lots of fun with my GBA too. Another console where I don't regret any purchase. I'd love getting a GB Micro, but it's hard to find at a decent price.

Those weren't "muh feels", those were the real fucking deal of feels

Belmont's Revenge is amazing and the music they pulled off on that soundchip is fantastic.

Good shit.

Roland's Curse 2

I always replayed it countless times
the music was very simplistic but helped to the game and dungoens atmosphere

Marin was the true waifu in Zelda games, much better than Zelda herself, and a great excuse to keep Link straight and male. It's a shame it was all a dream.

Wow this looks like a really fun action jrpg. I'm going to emu it. I wonder who NMK is by the by.

sage for double post

meh, wonder how many untranslated GB and GBC jewels are we missing on.
I recall seeing some YT video of an atalier game for the gbc

I wish I had this game back in the day, but the first Atelier game was so simple it wasn't really comfy and the music on the GBC would really irritate you playing all the time. Still it's pretty cool to see they reworked everything for 2D on an 8bit console when it looked so different on the PS1/Saturn.

i recall there were pokemon clones, one with robots and one with superheroes for the GBC
Cant remember teh names though

It feels better knowing that Link dreamed of headpats and handholds with Marin and not taking Zelda's cock up his ass for all time.

Marin is best waifu

Seasons > Ages = LA DX

Seasons has better balance between action and puzzles. Ages' overworld can be a hassle to traverse at times for being overcomplicated and having to rely on playing the harp all the time.

LA would probably rank higher than Ages to me if it had the same level of polish the Oracle games had.

Sword and Shield Maze

Donkey Kong '94 is fucking amazing.

Fuck Mario Golf. I spend an autistic amount of time maxing out my character's drive to try to get a Condor and when I finally did they didn't even program a special animation, it just played the hole in one animation instead.

That was 15 years ago and I'm still mad.

Also I accidently damaged my pokemon blue version by pouring milk on it.
I was holding the game and went to get cereal but the kitchen counter was wet. So I put the game in a bowl then poured cereal on it then milk.

Retard.

Lufia 3

Man, the endgame bosses didn't fuck around. Most of the bosses throughout the game, really.

That's not how you play video games, user.

O SHID

Yeah, I realized that a while back looking for it after some other user posted a few himself. Wonder what happened to it (or perhaps him as well).

Rest in peace plastic brick automaton

I'm amazed that someone actually managed to make a good fighting game on the GBC even if it was limited in scope.

Also, why to all of the most powerful foes use Axl? you would think that they would have spread it out a bit around the other 5.

Fuck yea metal walker, I remember coming across the super core for earth and beginning the search for the other two, cant remember if the hoverbot or mechacopter was the one for super sky.

Power quest got hard towards the end cause the later stage foes are cheating bastards, one special attack from the mad scientist guy's Axl does like half of your healthbar

Don't forget best doggo. How far can you get in the game with them, I wonder. I remember ending up returning them to do the camera stuff at a point. I wonder if you can at least up until you need to have Marin follow.

thats the one where you had like 12 party members or something like that?

Also, i recall there was a "Azure dreams" and "Quest" versions for the gbc

you mean robopon? cause the medabot games for GBC were not translated
could it be this one?

He also dreamed of hippo tits in the japanese version

It's not fanart. He made them for TLoZ, AoL, ALttP and LA for the Nintendo's strategy guides.

Seasons' was made to be action-centered, and Ages puzzle-centered.
LA was feels-centered.

See Keitai Denjū Telefang, also called Pokemon Jade and Pokemon Diamond.

i really miss completely on GBC stuff.
Was there any good RPG on that one?
i hate one of the DQ monster games and that Azure Tower de-make

I wish the quest mode wasnt' so grindy. But it was fun as fuck.

I replayed Final Fantasy Adventure and Gargoyle's Quest more times than I can remember.

Pic related the only physical carts I have left after repeated changes of scenery.

yeah, and you can use 9 of them in battle. The rest gets XP as well.

There's also a secret 13th member.

I remember Sword of Hope. It's the kind of game where if you find it in a bargain bin (which I did) it's a pleasant surprise, but if you paid full price you'd probably be disappointed.