Dishonored 2

How is it possible that after Dark Messiah Arkane actually went BACKWARDS in terms of gameplay?

you really think the quality people stayed? they were chased out by unreasonable bullshit and replaced with college drop outs, shit's just in name only like every other place

i had no question that dishonored would go backwards in terms of gameplay after i played it for the first time.

it was too good for a modern AAA title.

Even the first Dishonored sucked. The combat was shit-tier just like in Dishonored 2 (worse), and there were maybe 4 powers that weren't shit - Blink, Possession, Stop Time and Whirlwind. Devouring Swarm is what developers come up with when they run out of imagination.

The story sucked, the art style was an eye-sore, the characters were mostly one-dimensional caricatures, except for maybe the Outsider, and they wrecked him in Dishonored 2 anyway.

It's a fucking shame what happened. Arkane used to be the guys that were on the cutting edge with stuff like The Crossing, now they are lazy hacks like everyone else.

I gave up playing the first one half way through not because it was difficult, I was just bored to tears. I never understood why people liked it so much, but perhaps I'm just hard to please, what's this second one like?
I looked at the price of it, and it's already at Battleborn prive levels even though it only came out last December. So did it fail? What happened to it?

Bethesda

the powers were the only fun thing about the first dishonored, why would you opt out?

Came out, was an unplayable piece of shit with Denuvo cancer. Arkane brought out a few patches, but if my experience is anything to go by, it's basically at the same level as Batman: Arkham Knight - it's way harder on your hardware than it should be, particularly since the visuals are nothing particularly special. At least Arkham Knight looked visually stunning. Gameplay is, in reality, more or less the same as the first one. Aside from non-lethal drop assassinations, kicks and chokes, it's really more of the same shit.

Really, the only reason I'm playing it is because it was a birthday gift from my girlfriend. Why she thought I'd like it is a mystery.

I already played it once with powers as Emily, and decided to go no-powers the second time as Corvo just to see if it would still be fun. Turns out, the powers are basically a crutch for Dishonored.

Bethesda.

Everyone left after the first Dishonored.

The only fun way to play dishonored is no-powers no-violence. If you complain about the shitty combat you're doing it wrong.

Thief did have pretty good melee combat, though. It actually detected sword collision.

That's fair enough, sometimes you gotta do what you gotta to do please the muff.

Can you chose to be the female or the male? I'm not really interested in buying the game, but I'm not against getting it sometime in the future when it's even lower in price. Is it anywhere near thief at all or as you say more just an action/ psuedo stealth game?

Maybe I should watch some gameplay vids, only problem is, most gameplay vids out there are reviews, or fanboys who are sucking the game off :(

You can choose between corvo and emily.

Well shit, I knew I should have gotten Shadow Warrior 2 instead.

That game has shit combat too, but at least it made me snicker from time to time.

Seriously, why aren't these progressives waterboarded yet?

BACK IN THE DAY, ARKANE GAMES WERE AMAZINGLY NOVEL AND THEY IMPROVED THE GAMEPLAY GREATLY UNTIL FUCKING ZENIMAX FUCKED THEM OVER AND BOUGHT THEM OUT AND RUINED IT FOREVER FUCK

thats totally enough to make a game around

Arkane always says in interviews how they build their games to allow players to clear obstacles by using the game mechanics in improvisational ways not even the original devs intended.
However, how do you encourage improvisation? Usually when something seems impossible and straightforward approaches fail to deal with it, some out of the box thinking is required.

So what Dishonored did, is making thing piss easy where straightforward approaches worked just fine and there was no reason to be crafty. It's easy to be stealthy thanks to the many powers you get, and it's easy to kill everything thanks to your character already being strongly adept with weapons with pistols being one-shot kills and being efficient in melee largely coming down to countering predictable and overly telegraphed attacks, ON TOP of the magic powers you get.

Then take Dark Messiah as a counter-example. You could mash LMB or spam power attacks to kill an enemy, but many enemies, especially the later ones like Orcs and Ghouls, tend to have a lot of HP so unless you're speccing to be a warrior, it would take a lot of straightforward strikes to kill them, on top of putting yourself at risk of getting damaged considering you go down faster than the enemies do, and the enemies more than often come in numbers. So instead, you're given a large amount of other opportunities for quicker and safer kills. Mages get a lot of spells like Freeze, Telekinesis, Charm and fire spells which can be used in effective ways for a quick takedown, Rogues can use stealth and bow headshots for an advantage, and EVERY playstyle can make use of kicking and throwing objects.

A large difference between the powers you get in Dishonored and the powers you can get in Dark Messiah is that in DM your upgrades serve as an advantage on top of your character being able to hold his ground against most enemies with either a sword, staff or daggers regardless of your upgrades. Only later on in the game do you really grow to be god-like. In Dishonored, you are largely god-like to begin with because of your extreme proficiency in melee and firearms, and your super powers are largely different spices of death. There's very little that encourages you to use your powers in certain ways. Sure, there's holes you can crawl through when possessing a rat, but when you're always given the option to tackle anything any way you like with little in terms of limits and hazards to the point where even the most basic unimaginative playstyle can work, you've got the same problem as Castlevania SOTN where you've got ALL this cool shit, but there's no real reason to use it outside of challenge runs. And that's how most fun can be derived out of Dishonored: self-imposed challenge runs, because you're so fucking OP to begin with. However, that is only a failure on part of the developers to properly balance out the existing difficulty settings. Any game is intended to be played in some way by the developers, e.g. not dying, so when the bar of playing decently enough is set so low, there's no reason to get better, and the game will fail to really challenge you on anything, or use its mechanics to some unique extent.

it has garbage stealth too.

Dishonored is a worse stealth game. It is only slightly fun if you just play it as an action game and kill everything upfront.

yeah

yeah the game wasnt hard enough. it was definitely made with feeling cool in mind.

You can clear DM on hardcore pretty easy just spamming staff power attacks.