Arena FPS

Arena FPS anyone?

Reflex is finally being released I'm pretty hyped.

Quake Champions gameplay is gonna be at PAX East on the 8th, pretty excited to see if they've fucked it up or not. Looked pretty decent surprisingly from the leaked QuakeCon footage though.

Has anyone played DESYNC? It looks pretty awesome. How's the movement in it?

Other urls found in this thread:

steamcommunity.com/groups/We-Flex
twitch.tv/ddktv
quake.bethesda.net/en/news/VejC6aB96MA0KQ4OEIkmm
forums.reflexarena.com/index.php?/topic/4265-reflex-arena-launch-changelog/
reddit.com/user/fleabitten
reddit.com/r/Games/comments/1rdrmz/will_arenafps_ever_make_a_comeback/cdmauwu/
reddit.com/r/WikiLeaks/comments/5yf5mz/for_the_first_time_in_15_years_the_cia_is_viewed/deqfjgb/
please
twitch.tv/kpkaiza
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Strafe-jumping
youtube.com/watch?v=KRO2ggYG4NI
mega.co.nz/#!P51hWSZS!K_SV_M5KPwcKlD9T0aMeiji0ESjl6JtsVlNCyhb7JsU
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Not super keen on the movement system in UT. I've always been more of a Quake person because I like the strafe jumping and air dodging. I've played a bit though and it's pretty fun, definitely a solid game and I'm hoping it succeeds.

OH SHIT
CRAPCUNTS bullshit is going to kill it
Isn't this the Arena shootan thread?

I'm reserving my judgement until I see the gameplay next week. They did get some QL pros to provide balance feedback so I'm really hoping there's a semblance of decent gameplay.

DESYNC looks kinda similar to an afps from the trailer to me. I saw someone saying that the movement was similar to Painkiller which is why I was keen on some opinions - it looks kinda cool.

Game looks alright, just not an Arena Shooter.
Is there something I'm missing?
Did they announce the date beforehand or is there any event I don't know about?

Quakecon 5v5 gameplay at Pax East which is 8-12th of March. Attendees can sign up for closed beta too (very envious).

Only downside is almost all game reporters are fucking awful at skill-based videogames so I imagine watching the footage will be annoying in ways haha.

Oh shit nice, thanks for the heads up.

Inexor's trucking along at the usual 'F/OSS Vidya'-tier development speed.

Hadn't heard of this until now. Is it some sort of ww2 themed afps?

It's just the second Cube 2 Sauerbraten fork that was made after Sauerbraten had been borderline-abandoned by the main developer six years ago. There was also Tesseract, but that project lost steam pretty quickly.

Funny thing is that the most 'radical' change that Inexor has done was implement fucking footsteps in a 2016 game. And that's not even mentioning the horribly dated assets (both visual and audiowise) that nobody's bothered to change.

I really hope we see a resurgence in arena FPS. So far Reflex is more of the same since it's basically CPMA (though it's still a blast to play and is likely to get new players in). UT4 is pretty cool, though that seems to get worse with every update (though I don't doubt the community will make mods that tweak weapon balance and shit). Hopefully these get popular and people make some new games that try something a little different.

We should all play some arena shootan together some time. I'm sure most dudes on Holla Forums aren't very good, so that should get rid of the issue of getting destroyed by a community of Quake/UT veterans.

gas yourself

I'd be down. I'm getting reflex next week because I've been waiting for at least a year and a half for it to come out of early access, so I'm pretty excited. Down for anything else too.

Really want to see an increased interest in afps.

Bhopping ruins everything. It's why Unreal tournament is the only good one

Such a weird feeling.

Anyone here in AU region thats keen to play some AFPS?

P.S. most underrated frag vid ever

Nice man! Glad to hear you get to finally try this awesome game. Been playing it and loving it the past year.

Holy fuck that dude is bad at videogames.

It's not strictly an AFPS but Unvanquished, the Tremulous successor, is coming out of Alpha/Beta in the next month or so.
Hasn't had an update for 12 months, and they Devs have said it's pretty much 100% what they want.

Maybe there's hope for the genre after all

Oh awesome I've always wanted to play tremulous I'll have to check this out.

And they're launching with bots too! It's amazing!

The power of free software.

Never kept tabs on Reflex. At $10 I might buy it, but:
WHY THE FUCK ARE THERE $50 ADD-ON ITEMS!?
These had better just be fucking reskins to earn shekels for development.

And there's a store to buy cosmetics in?
This isn't what I want in a AFPS. It will just be niggers showing off how many shekels they invested.

Aussie devs means low latency servers for me, however.

I've mained Bryan Fury since my very first Tekken game (TTT1), but when he was playable on the free2play Tekken Revolution, I started using Kazuya. By the time I finnaly bought TTT2, I was already better as Kazuya then I was with 10+ years training as Bryan.

If you give me some way to contact you and you don't mind using Discord there's an oceania AFPS server that is fairly active.

Holy crap I didn't think I'd see the day

It's skins. Same kind of shit that the new UT does with its store. Same shit that all multiplayer games do. It' melee weapon skins and body parts for the player model.

The cosmetics are purely optional and drop in extreme abundance for free after matches. I can assure you no one really cares about any pricey ones, the community just loves playing robot dress up

Ah yeah I'm already in that thanks :)

yall niggas get the cosmetics for free as drops so stop crying

What are some good frag movies?

Tell me about this "reflex" game you speak of.

Sorry for late reply. Dorftrottel for starters is excellent.

Based off of Quake 3 CPMA and developed by some of the same devs. Been in early access for past 1 1/2 years. Releasing on March 8 with bot support, matchmaking, etc.

Watch this vid to see gameplay:

Whether Quake Champions is good or not, do you guys think it might spark some more interest in arena shooters as a whole? That's kind of what I'm hoping for with it's release, even if it's only a small increase.

Yeah same here. I'm hoping that QC might at least give a little legitimacy to games like Reflex and Diabotical (when it comes out) to those who don't already play AFPS.

are they trying to sell this?

I can't imagine it costing anything, it looks like a rerelease of q3a with a map editor and skins.

if you like q3a you can just play that or quake live or xonotic or warsaw or… who would want to buy this?

Their main selling point is actually the netcode of the game, which admittedly is really damn good.

Netcode that "might" allow Rapha in the America to play Cypher in Europe without being a warpathon shitfest.

I wish I had some people to play this with on occasion.

Is Desync have actual level design or is it just Devil Daggers 2.0?

It's fucked, it's another hero shooter like Overcucks.

I feel the same way except about Warsow.

The map editor for one is pretty damn fantastic. And the matchmaking is really good. The netcode is literally the best netcode I've ever seen in a game. I'd pay far more than their asking price just for those three things. Oh and the fact that I don't have a broken client that crashes, packet throttles, and that doesn't always function at 144 Hz ala Q3CPMA

Toxikk is okay, but it's basically UT2004 in UE3.

You say that like it's a bad think.
That's the reason though why I only think it's okay. UT2004 is probably actually better than it.
I was very surprised to find a Deck 17 map in Toxikk. Too bad it's all white and samey, making it way harder to navigate than necessary.

That game just has some sort of magic to it. Quake has a more intricate movement system but the weapons are superior in UT.

PLAY MORE REFLEX

The game is kind of fun to play, but it just looks absolutely horrendous. Everything just sort of blends in with eachother and the weapons are hard to tell apart and it's hard to tell what they do until you use them

Game's fucking dead.

more of a fan of quake movement

Unreal Tournament is for faggots, slow paced trashy game for noobs. The new one is going to be even worse than the previous ones since it is free 2 play, meaning every fucked up third world motherfucker is going to play it and they are already putting a shitload of skins and shit into it.

Stop shilling for that gay game every fucking time someone talks about arena shooters, go post that shit on reddit instead.

i want to believe in them but they always end up like Toxxik or similar titles

toxikk failed because it was a gay unreal tournament clone with worse weapons and shittier movement.

Also fuck you guys for supporting these shit games.

It really is dead. I played it when it had a spike in players, I think it went on sale or something. A game like reflex won't sell well at this point because it isn't class based.
And in all honestly I've never been a fan of classic item control. I've always been a big supporter of stage control coming from stage boundaries and deterrents.
I'm assuming people in this thread don't hate melee because it's basically the "arena fighter" of fighting games. At some point I hope an arena fighter adopts style of movements similar to melee as well as take inspiration from its stages that focus on staying in-bounds rather then items.

that is such a crazy logic leap

I know… bit of a shot in the dark

Not sure if you're still around but are you a nub too? I can play QW or CPMA, issue I've been having is I can't find anyone around my level to fight.

Hey, I'm pretty trash at QW if you're keen to play that some time. I need to sort out my CPMA client first though cause I get packet throttling or something with my router.

Add me on steam: Cat_Smoker

Only thing special about UT is the announcer, quake was always better.

I don't use Steam but I'm in the Oceania AFPS Discord, I'll add you there.

If anyone's interested, I made a Reflex group for people who don't want to get destroyed by guys who have been playing the game for the past 15 years.

Is it a Discord group? Link?

Steam and Discord
steamcommunity.com/groups/We-Flex

I couldn't think of a better name and have been wanting to make this for a bit.

Wasn't the main technological demonstration of the Cube engine the fact that there are no actual textures?

based ddk streaming reflex
twitch.tv/ddktv

will be getting reflex if it's pop 1 week after release looks sustainable. otherwise cant justify learning a dead game.

I really hope the community expands a bit on release. Would be great for the game to be recognised and played a bit.

It has actual level design. It's pretty good. Has a ton of weapons, a variety of enemies, and it's designed to encourage you to play aggressively, the scoring system especially.

based stermy vid

I agree. The artstyle is not well thought out.

What's the appeal of arena shooters? I have tried to play and enjoy several of them but they are usually awfully repetitive and dull, Tribes was kind of fun with its jumping but thats about it. Tactical shooters are a lot more enjoyable imo

You get an adrenaline rush from having to think quickly and needing to react very quickly in arena shooters.

Nope, the Cube engine uses a Polygon / Voxel hybrid for rendering, where shit like maps, models, and decals are all textured, but the 'chunks' inside the maps are all based around voxels. Sauerbraten was made in 2004, and it shows. And to think that it once looked even worse

"no, i'd rather not"

also, the biggest gimmick of Cube 2 was the real-time map modelling, which virtually nobody used and just stuck to the 24/7 Instagib servers

And a more semi-lighter note, Red Eclipse seems to have went up another version back in January.

I love the fact that arena shooters are fast paced and have an absurdly high skill cap. You can always improve and that self improvement is very obvious in your own gameplay. They also allow a lot of different playstyles and 'expression' with the complexity of movement, different strategies, and weapon usage.

Also it's not as obvious to an outside observer, but there's a lot of tactics involved in AFPS games. Primarily 1v1 tactics such as anticipating/reading your opponent and making calculated decisions on when to play aggressive/defensive.

Have a look at this Fraze duel commentary if you want, it shows a bit of the strategy involved in a Quake Live duel.

One of my favourite frag vids.

AFPS news new ep

I'm glad to see there are at least some devs that know that robots are the best characters to play as.

Tribes 3 never ever.
Wake me up from this hellscape, Midair looks like shit and is gonna disappoint because crowdfunding and die like all of these other new AFPS games like Toxikk.

Warsow is dead, QL has lost all Steam and Xonotic is doing okay, although it really isn't Quake.

It's shit.
Closed beta is supposed to start soon.

QL is still miles better off than Xonotic playerbase-wise, though.

The appeal is fast-paced frantic gameplay that takes a lot more thought than one would initially expect. It manages to handle objective-based gameplay with much more subtle objectives than most games, and the gameplay, while fast-paced, is actually incredibly thoughtful.

At least, that's what I would describe as the hook for afps games in general. Individual ones have their own strengths and weaknesses. Some people might prefer UT weapons, other people might prefer Quake movement, etc etc.

Waiting to see if Reflex has a discount. Seems like the debs might be banking on doing absolutely nothing to help the game.

It doesn't have any loadouts, but it does have character specific abilities. And each character has only one ability.

Also, this article: quake.bethesda.net/en/news/VejC6aB96MA0KQ4OEIkmm
has some info that says that some pros that played it liked the abilities. Of course, there could be some bias or shenanigans done by the publisher/developer here. I don't know.

New trailer looks pretty good. It actually looks pretty fast, which clears up some of my concern from the first trailer.

Can't wait for this marvellous moba from our best friends at zenimax

TOXIKK is pretty good.

I'm mostly worried about the abilities and whether it's possible to disable them. There's also the possibility they won't allow players to host dedicated servers and the modding support will probably be fucking awful too (if it even exists in the first place).

I recall a willits interview where he said that there will be some form of gamemode customisation/modding available. That seems to also imply dedicated servers. So really all I'm hoping for is the ability to ditto champs, and that way I imagine classic 1v1 will still be achievable if everyone reaches consensus on a default character to use.

Worst comes to worst, game still looks enjoyable enough for some team mode stuff, and then I can stick to other AFPS for competitive dueling.

Too bad it's dead.

I'm pretty sure it was confirmed by Bethesda that there's an option or gamemode or something to play without character specific abilities

Wrong.
UT
Sorry user

see
Sorry Todd.

I agree with you, and I also think UT has a better artstyle, aside from UT3 (because Quake's ugly brown =/= artstyle)

But it's no secret that UT has always lived under the shadow of Quake.

I see the apparent instant weapon switching here and I immediately think switch+shoot macros would be an obvious thing to do. I'm not entirely sure it's a good design choice.

gotem xDDD

But honestly, play what you like, who cares. The AFPS community is small enough without all this intra-game bickering.

If you've just fired your weapon, you have to wait for the cooldown period of that weapon before your switch activates.

There's a 200 (or 300? I forget) ms delay between switching and being able to use the weapon. But I can tell you from hundreds of hours in the game that anyone who needs a switch+shoot macro is just bad at the game and probably won't get any advantage. Any competent player can switch between weapons and use them situationally. I find the fast switching sets up a lot of cool weapon combos, like LG into rail on people running away etc. LG is especially good to switch from because it has a very fast fire rate and so you don't incur as much of a switch penalty.

If there's a delay then I was just wrong. What I was thinking of only matters if you can switch and shoot instantly, which is what it looked like in the videos.

Fuck off faggot where do you think you are

inb4 this shitty gotta go fast autism genre gets over saturated and people go back to wanting military shooters and tactical shooters.

How does it feel to be slow kid?

So there's a 'reload delay' and a standard 'switch delay'. If you don't fire a weapon before switching (or lets say fire the LG, which has a very low 'reload delay') then all you really have to consider is the standard 'switch delay'. The 'switch delay' is around 200 ms, which is quite low. I don't see how a switch+shoot bind would give you an advantage though, because anyone with fingers can press a hotkey bind and the mouse button themselves anyway. Even with the bind you describe, you would still have to wait for both the 'reload delay' and the standard 'switch delay'.

smell you later slowpoke d:)

anyone map making here?

Heyyyy, are you that same guy who posted your map on one of these threads like 6 months ago? I think I remember you. How's the map coming along?

How many players does Reflex have in EU?
Want to buy it but I'm not gonna if it doesn't have any players.

EU is the most popular region for Reflex (and AFPS in general). You'll easily be able to find games. Don't expect player numbers like CS:GO or anything though, there's still probably only a few hundred active duelers.

Like 15 online at peak hours a couple of days ago when I last checked. Definitely wait for it to be out for couple of days to see if people come back and stay back before buying anything.

As if. Arenafags could only dream of having even 5 people online to play with.

Kill yourself

How would you compare Reflex's map editor to something like Cube 2: Sauerbraten or Tesseract?

Do you UTfags actually play UT or do you guys just shitpost Quake instead of populating your servers?

Quake faga insult UT more than the other way faggot. Also I play UT 4 often

Is Reflex dead?

The next week or so will tell. Supposed to be released in 2-4 hours I think. At the moment it's not looking so hot. If it doesn't pick up in the coming week it's not going to.

Well Reflex is now out and great news guys you can buy golden weapon skins with competitive points you get from playing on the competitive ladder during a season. What an original idea. Here's the changelog for the release patch.

forums.reflexarena.com/index.php?/topic/4265-reflex-arena-launch-changelog/

Honestly I think this game has enough cosmetic shit that it might actually attract enough normalfags to have a playerbase. Let's just hope they don't listen to them when it comes to balance and features in general. I'm still salty as fuck that they scrapped the stake gun.

That moment when you such an ADHD autist that you have to have stimuli every nano second less a game actually make you think.

i havent touched reflex for about a year but before i stopped i had added a whole top floor to lab 6 for ffa with a carnage/quad pickup and rooms where the cranes sideways railing goes. it was coming together for a while and was almost done with decorating - ready for some playtesting, but its all lost since reflex updated to include steam workshop integration and my windows drive shat itself.

it was just as they added groups for easily copying sections of brushes/meshes which was a massive help. i havent gotten around to getting a proper windows + steam setup back up. i wish turbo pixel was also building it for linux but i dont think thats on the cards for a long time.

i really liked the look of Ashur by promEUs, anyone whos into mapping should head on over to the reflex forums for some quality stuff.

pics related. none of the brushes on the stone face have more than 8 vertices due to the limit.

Except Arena shooters make you think more than any other type of game casual.

I know right. Item timing and watching a clock is so thought provoking.

It's not about item pick ups, solely.

Let's say you see someone running past you. You have to take into account their speed and the rate of their bunny hopping to be able to accurately know where they are behind a wall so you can pop out the other end and kill them.
When you're going fast, you need to scan around you constantly to kill anyone who gets in your way.
When you're trying to jump a gap, you need to be aware and keep yourself in the air for as little as possible to ensure there's less chance of being shot.
While going fsat like sanic you need to predict where your bullets/missles are going to hit, because they're not shitty hitscans.

AFPS games are a thousand times harder than any other game. To play at an even decent level, you need to be quick thinking and strategic.
There is no harder game genre than an AFPS.

Ah ok, well I remember the creator of the first screenshot you posted from a thread ages back. Might've even been a year now.. Fuck I feel old.

Yeah sucks there's no linux support, but it's just not feasible with only one actual developer. I'm incredibly impressed at the current scope for a single dev though.

Reflex peaked at about 220 players online. It's more than it's every had. It's still dead. Early Access is so fucking bad for small multiplayer games. Instead of launching the game and maybe gaining a big surge of players through word of mouth you release an unfinished game and then people look at it and either dismiss it or think that it has potential and they'll maybe check back. Then three fucking years later it's released and people have either played it already, forgotten about it or look at it and go hey that's that game but there are no players so I'll pass.

Remember when people used to say don't feed the troll? I guess you don't. There's a poster or two like him in every AFPS thread that goes "lol it's just looking at the clock lmao so ez not like overwatch".

Bump

Go back to cuckchan faggot

Why so hostile?
The thread was at page 8

Sorry that your Overwatch doesn't take skill and you don't understand the mind games that happen in Arena FPS.

I'd buy Reflex today if it worked in Linux, but Wine's DX11 support isn't quite there yet as in, several maps are playable with lower framerates and major visual glitches and I doubt they're making a Linux port anytime soon.

Just picked up Reflex. The only way the player numbers are going to go up is if more people play it instead of avoiding it due to low population. Plus it was only 8 bux so fuck it, why not?

Hey, thanks friend. Glad to see another one who's enjoying this thread.

Can't really expect any AFPS to get over that amount, to be honest.
I'm gonna get the game, all talk and no play won't help the genre.

I guess you're right. But does not bode well.

Well, tell us once you have it whether it's lively enough to actually get and play.
Then some of us on Holla Forums can play together.

sucks for you>>12101946

Fug.
I have an Amazon giftcard but it's not on there, and I don't live near a place to buy a steam card.

Guess I'll have to get it later when I next go into town, which won't be until next week.

Oh damn man that sucks. But make sure to try it out when you get the chance cause it's an incredibly good game built by 3 incredibly talented people. And it's super fun and fast and competitive.

At least there's Paysafecard in Yurop.

Nah, not in my country. Amazon are coming here soon, but soon isn't now.
I'd send an Amazon giftcard to an user on here, but the liklihood of getting jewed is too high.

Might message one of my normalfag friends and promise them a steak dinner if they buy it for me.

Are you in Australia or NZ? If you are you should add me on steam (Cat_Smoker) and I can help you learn the game when you get reflex.

I'm from Aus. Been playing AFPS since I was a wee lad, but haven't played in a few years so probably a tad rusty.

Sweet man we should duel. Add me.

I really like the aesthetic of the game, I think they nailed the Quake look. I don't mind the class based ability stuff but I couldn't find anything in the video that shows you can carry more than two weapons at the same time. If they limit you like that then it completely kills it for me.

Aside from the weapons and that one Aztec map, I have to agree. More of a Quake 1 style than Quake 3 but it's fantastic none the less.

C-can anyone help a nigga out?

How fitting.

If id knows what they're doing, they're going to introduce separate game modes. One for the new class style game play and another that preserves the traditional game play.

This is why I think this is the case.

IMO Quake Live failed because of the already low afps playerbase and its inability to smoothly transition the player from low skilled to high skilled game play. You had a situation where the low skilled players all congregated to deathmatch or CA because these were the modes that were the least reliant on skill to get kills and have fun. All of the high skilled veterans congregated to duel (and the occasional organized ctf) like usual. So the situation for a new player was to start out in deathmatch/CA pubs and play them until they got skilled enough to reside at the top of those game modes, these were the "pubstars". Then the only way for these pubstars to get better was to jump to duel and get continuously destroyed for months on end playing skilled veterans. Obviously that's not fun so they eventually quit. So you had the same veterans dominating the duels and the slowly dwindling number of pubbies that would eventually quit after getting bored with DM and CA. And you end up with the situation now where only the veterans are left.

I think Quake Champions tries to address this by introducing the class system. The reason the class system is so popular is that it is not (nearly as) reliant on skill (so you don't have to invest much time or effort to get a decent score) so the scrub masses can play shittily and still have a fun time. A system of instant gratification of sorts. This keeps them coming back to play more and creates a large sustainable low skilled player base at the bottom. The vast majority of these players' skills will plateau and they'll have fun staying in the class based matches(nothing wrong with that). But in time a number of these players will get skilled enough to the point that they will require game modes with a higher skill ceiling and will switch over to traditional mode. And because the low skilled player base from which these people came from is so large, hopefully there will be enough of these people climbing up the skill ladder to create a flourishing middle skilled player base. And then from this skill group there will be a number of people who eventually get good enough to compete with the veterans. Which will hopefully revive and re-popularize high skilled traditional play.

A guy can dream…

Low skilled players shouldn't be playing.
Or at least make each death deduct 10 pounds sterling from your bank account.

After one death, most will quit and only the good will remain.

Quake Live failed because it was a web browser game. Maybe you're not old enough to remember. It had everything going for it but they fucked up with web browser and having to pass a skill test every fucking week.

There were so many people wanting to play Quake live when it first went public that you would have to sit in the queue for half your day, let it sink in.

I noticed Reflex just came out of early access. Is it worth it?

I wish to know this too.
Thinly veiled bump.

Besides the game being inferior to quake in everyway. The dev is a massive cuck and democrat shill on reddit

reddit.com/user/fleabitten

Proof it's him: reddit.com/r/Games/comments/1rdrmz/will_arenafps_ever_make_a_comeback/cdmauwu/

Example of him cucking for the democrats and attacking trump: reddit.com/r/WikiLeaks/comments/5yf5mz/for_the_first_time_in_15_years_the_cia_is_viewed/deqfjgb/

I don't give a shit, I just want to know whether the game is good or not.

Yes, I've yet to have an issue finding a game at any time. If you enjoy or want a reason to start playing the genre now is good as time as any, a lot of new players will be around and hopefully word of mouth will continue to spread.

Most people have retarded opinions about politics, it is what it is.

Well, I don't want to be fed a bunch of bullshit liberal propaganda or support these fgt cucks.

You're the only one spreading propaganda though, I've been following the game since its announcement and this is the first I've heard of any of his views, its completely irreverent to the game.

I'm not further inclined to buy the game, but I don't audit the political views of the developers for every game I get. He's a non-American commenting on American politics, and a game of robots shooting each other has little context for that.

As long as devs don't shoehorn their political views into their game, who gives a shit? If the game is good, it is good.

Sounds to me you're the only one here who can't keep politics out of video games. Holla Forums went to shit when people started putting the people behind the games before the actual game itself on their list of priorities.

the fuck is this?

Ya okay I'm a bad guy for suggesting not buying cuck games by cuck devs. Liberals totally never do this and try to get media censored/boycotted for being right wing.

There is such a thing as subtle propaganda. Besides, the people having the dev role is very important for how a game is going to be developed/improved over time. Ya maybe you'd be right in the past, but now every game is 'early access' and gets updates (maybe a lack of updates too)

Stop being such a cuck

Quake is now literally an overwatch clone.

I initially had a sentence in my first post about how you would blab about subtle propaganda and shit but I removed it since I figured you wouldn't go there. But you did. Lmao.

I bet you laugh when leftists get easily triggered but you fail to look at yourself when you behave the exact same way.

Again, how paranoid do you have to be for this shit to even matter to you? Are you that easily brainwashed and scared of being brainwashed into a tranny after accidentally starting up a "leftist" game?

That's the mentality that's caused Arena FPS to wither and die. I agree with . I think there's room for both demographics, and I actually think they officially will have a traditional game option: please use archive.is/amp-articles/quake-champions-boss-confirms-you-can-play-without/1100-6442812/

Yes. The game is incredibly polished and fun to play. Netcode is the best I've ever seen in a game, too.

nigga that vid is such low quality

He's not even on the dev team anymore - he quit cause of burnout. Shooter, Electro, Yasashii, and Thaylia are the remaining staff, who are all very nice and chill people.

6 min, it doesn't get any better than that.

I've heard of this pretty good site that allows lengthy vids at a much higher resolution and bitrate. I'm trying to put my finger on the name though..

But people get irrationally angry when you post stuff from there.

Speaking of which, for people who want to get into Reflex but are inexperienced, go through this video series. Only thing different from current build is that you'll want to use ParkourStation for a training map which is one of the most popular on the workshop easy to find.

I've never had that. Anyone who gets angry for a youtube link is probably legit autistic.

Anyone interested in playing as a group?

What region are you in? If anyone's in Au/NZ region add me: Cat_smoker and we can play

There's a difference between posting some shitty monetized retard bait video like a trailer/ad or a youtuber going "hey guys xxDrakLord here with the latest epic gameplay" and some ontopic video of a game. Even then people mostly only whine when you make a low effort OP with a video like that for obvious reasons.

What's everyone's favorite game mode? I'm too shit for duels and don't know the maps so I've been staying away from that and instead when I'm feeling like playing seriously I play CTF or TDM. It's a shame that Instagib isn't more popular because that's my go to mode when I want to just turn off my brain, listen to some music and go on pure reflexes.

I've always been a duel guy. I love the competitive balance with all the weapons and item control stuff, so I really enjoy playing 1v1 competitively. I've been enjoying 2v2 quite a lot lately, though.

Sounds to me like you faggots forgot why we left cuckchan on the first place. You probably weren't even around back then.

So am I the only scrub here who thinks Ion has too much range? I think you could drop it a bit if you made plasma projectiles faster.

You sound like a very edgy 16 year old.

That sounds like a neat idea, although I'd say plasma needs more distinction from LG which would be made worse by this change.

bump

The word of choice for normans trying to tone police on imageboards.

Hang your self nigger.

Holy shit this is a blast

Great.

???

That's how it was not even half an hour ago, user. Of course it changes during the day.
Come on, don't pretend to be retarded.

It's weird that the matchmaking servers are hidden by default on the server browse. Seems like a totally unnecessary thing that only divides the playerbase because most people aren't going to tick the "Show MatchMaking" box on the browser. It easily doubles the amount of servers on the list. I don't know how it really works though since matchmaking goes from game to game to game and doesn't stay on the same server. I wonder if it just drops you in the server and when everyone else matchmakes out after the game you're left alone.

The matchmaking seems to work pretty well in itself though. Smart of them to add the option to match against people who are higher rated than you to speed up the search. It also makes you get better faster when you play against better people, a concept that's been lost to the ages since matchmaking became the norm and something I've been missing.

This is pretty fun, decent amount of players too. How long until it dies out?

Depends, if the new people get hooked there's gonna be a playerbase about 50% bigger, it's been a stable 200 right now at peak.
Also, the "cuck dev" shit by is a good example of how this is a good thread, and many others on this board are shit. All we care about is the video games, while faggots like him care what side the dev leans politically. It doesn't matter, all that matters is the games. The devs of Deus Ex are cucks now, but that doesn't make the game bad.

I reckon it'll stay between 50 to 150 once it evens out. Really hard to say obviously. If they start giving keys to streamers and youtubers the amount might double overnight.

I bought the game and refunded with 10 minutes played. Sat in a warmup server and the only thing came up was a duel. Believe it or not we didn't just play duels or team arena all day. We played all sorts of fun maps and modes that weren't just full retard. Genre is dead now and it's mostly esports fags now.

I had no problem finding an FFA server to play on earlier.

All you have to do to get games going is find a server with low ping with your gametype, run the map a little to memorize the item locations and people will show up within a few minutes and the server should be full within ten. I've been doing this consistently since release. Tons of people looking at the same time, see empty servers, get discouraged and don't even try to hop into one despite the fact that it incentivizes people to join.

Overwatch looks so incredibly and excruciatingly fucking slow, goddamn, especially being played right after Quake Live. Also what is up with that DOOM railgun? It sounds weak as piss.

Das it mane.

Nah, that's horseshit. For example: imagine there is an apple sales man in your town. He sells the best apples money can buy, but every time you go to his apple stand to buy his apples he yells out loud that you're a pedophile and should be killed. Would you honestly go buy his apples even though he directly threatens your livelihood?

Obviously you wouldn't go back to him. But now imagine that when you go to buy milk from the milkman - the guy tries to get your son to be a faggot, and you daughter to fuck niggers. He tells your wife that you're abusive and privileged. That she'd be better off without you. He then uses the money you use to buy the milk to fun NAACP, feminist groups, and communists. Would you honestly still use him and not just admit you're a cuck?

I agree. Giving money to people who hate your race and want you exterminated doesn't sound like a good idea, no matter how good the game is. That said, the guy doesn't work for them anymore so it's still worth a buy.

We're talking about fucking cybergames, not whatever the fuck strawman you came up with.
He's an Australian talking about America, how the fuck does he affect it?

At this point he's either a troll or too retarded to reason with. Either way not worth the effort.

I have no problem with Quake Champions having the hero abilities, since it's confirmed that there will be classic mode. What's with Holla Forums's grudge?

Slow and undisableable skins, which will fuck with competitive.

Skins is subjective, but it's definitely not slow.

checked

Dude, Soros sits his fat ass in hungaria and causes color revolutions all around the world. Sure this guy ain't rich or smart like soros, but he has skills and a platform to spread his ideas, which in effect are against (you) all the same. Btw, I simply pointed out the dev was an antiwhite - I didn't say not to buy the game. That was a strawman on your part.

Not my fault you guys are so retarded you don't understand supporting someone who wants to destroy you is a bad idea.

I think the biggest problem with heros in quake is that it automatically splits the playerbase for a genre where an average of '500 players online now' across the world is good

As for the heroes themselves its too early to tell. I just hope I can turn them into 'sport' versions.

I've been playing the browser version since launch (and moved onto steam), I don't remember there being a weekly skill test.Your tiers would go up and down based on how well you were doing, but there wasn't anything remotely resembling a test.

Not technically an Arena FPS but FPS-Z is liked by the same people.

Where?
The main dev says you can turn them off in custom games but there is no evidence of there being a classic mode from what I understand.
A classic mode is very different.

Abilities on a timer ruin the gameplay. Think about it, everything you get in quake has to be earned. You have to fight to get armor or a power up and the enemy player can figure out if you got them or not. But an ability isn't something you earn, it's something you get for free. It destroys that dynamic.

You played against a bot 1v1, the better you did the more the difficulty of the bot increased during the match and then you were assigned a skill level for using the match browser.

I bought Reflex.
It is fun, plenty of options, runs superb and the gameplay is FAST.

Any EU anons wish to play?

You've already been told that the guy you're complaining about doesn't even work for the company anymore and haven't in a long while. I'm not going to say fleabitten isn't a total faggot, he sits around bitching about politics all day. But he was a code monkey that is completely unrelated to the project now.

It's already fucking trash, shill.

Racing is way funner then it should be, there is a server running easy maps that has people on it right now. Check it out if you haven't already

He wasn't even a code monkey, he did some gameplay design and community interaction. He got so burnt out by the angry and demanding cpma community that he left. He stills works on the cpma mod though.

Yeah man racing is great. I need to do more of it cause my movement is falling behind compared to others my skill.

Glad you're enjoying it. For anyone who's interested:

Reflex is an amazingly smooth and polished arena fps. It emulates CPMA movement and playstyle, but updates the genre with incredible net code and a beautiful aesthetic. Furthermore, Reflex has some great integration with the Steam workshop, allowing users to upload and download any map they want, as well as use new addons and contributions from the community. Reflex also allows anyone to code their own UI and on-screen widgets, so you can customise the interface to your liking.

What if it was like Fighting game meter style where it increases with damage/kills instead?

Slasher playing QC. It actually looks really fucking good when he plays as Ranger the default guy. I'm really excited about this now.

Has anyone ever experience MP on pic related? It could be a really fun arena shooter if you could turn off the saber.

So that's not classic mode? Alright.

I think by classic mode he means more that you can queue for classic duel properly and it's ranked etc. No idea about that game but I remember it being awesome, so it might actually work.

twitch.tv/kpkaiza
cool aussie reflex stream

Kill yourself

yes

You don't need to try to fit in so hard. There's nothing wrong with Twitch, the problem is shitty streamers.

TOO SLOW

What's it called if you hold space mid air and it jumps when you touch the ground?

Bunny hopping.
You're not that new, are you?

Jump buffering, I think.

This makes so many games feel so much better, even if there isn't any kind of bhopping or cool movement options. It just feels so good.

No, it's jump buffering as the other user said. I just forgot the name.

What's the difference between bunny hopping and strafe jumping? I keep seeing the two being used interchangeably when they are clearly two different things.

Muh flat artstyle

I know you want the game to succeed but don't try lying and saying cosmetic shit is in every single multiplayer game. Show me the ones in Quake 3 again you rabbit fanboy

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Strafe-jumping

He obviously meant nowadays, man.

That's the point though, I don't want that shit infecting the genre and neither would people complaining about it so whh can't I compare it to Quake 3? If that is what it takes to survive today the genre needs to die, I didn't ask for another shameless clone to hemmorhage more potential CPMA players

I got reflex and I think I'm just going to refund it, unfun to get stomped by people so much better than me. Only thing I was slightly good at was insta, and getting into only insta takes so much time.
AFPS just isn't for me.

Casual

So how many of you have finally accepted that Unreal Tournament is better than quake?

youtube.com/watch?v=KRO2ggYG4NI

That's not an argument, what the fuck is the point in playing if everyone has played for years and I just started out? Even if I got good and played for a month straight, which is mind numbingly boring, so what? What is there for me? I just am good at a game like 200 people play and has boring as fuck gameplay where you either stomp a noob or get stomped as a noob? It's just boring.

Wow you really are a fucking normalfag casual. Gtfo off my board you stupid faggot. It's about self-improvement and the challenge. There is also something special about being one of the best in a game that actually takes skill. I bet top quake pros get more out of their game than some nameless top 100 hearthstone player any day. If you don't understand that fuck off back to reddit and suck a nigger's dick.

You play the game because you enjoy it you dumb fuck, the same reason you play any game. You like how it plays so you want to play and the idea of getting better is what drives you. If you don't like getting good and require either a handicap or some sort of in game progression system then you're literally a casual and should go play CoD instead.

Also not "everyone" has played for years. There are new players and you'll run into them more frequently than the veterans because of the matchmaking. I played my first 1v1s EVER last night and lost the first one 5-6 and won the other 8-0. You're just suffering from being a shitter and it looks like it's terminal.

Most of the games I played I just got stomped, if I didn't get stomped, I stomped someone worse than me. Neither is fun.
Only 1 game I played was close and enjoyable, it was an Aerowalk duel where I won with 11-10 in the last 20 sec. I'll play some more, but right now I am not enjoying the game. Most of the bad new players like me quit fast since they don't enjoy getting stomped either. Someone is always better than you, and they will always defeat you, it's a endless cycle where you improve from shit tier to bad tier to good tier, but someone else will be better than you. I also don't enjoy the snowballiness, one red armor, mega health and a RL/LG/Rail combo and you can hunt the enemy down consistently.

Fuck, I really want this game. I haven't played some good arena shooter action in literal years. But my spending has been fucking crazy this month, I should really chill out until next month if I wanna buy this. Fug.

I made a group for newer players if you're interested. It was posted earlier in the thread. Everyone in there so far is pretty chill and there's people ranging from good to decent.

What you need to do is spend some time alone on maps, memorizing the placements of all the items. Then you need to figure out an optimal route through them to get the best shit as quick as possible no matter where you spawn. Honestly, reflexes, aim and movement are only 50% of the game, the other half is map control, it's that important. Once you have all that shit down you will be amazed at how much you improve and how much better you did compared to when you were just running around randomly trying to figure shit out while someone is fucking your shit up with rockets.

Guys, just give Tribes 2 a try. Like most almost two decades old games it's not popular and you'll play with the veterans, but you don't know what you're missing. It's the best tribes game made, it's not the slow game that you remember from 2001 back when people played base.

If you do want to try it I have a link for you that includes all the required map packs, and some custom scripts, and the patch to play here, all you have to do is unrar the game somewhere, no installing needed:
mega.co.nz/#!P51hWSZS!K_SV_M5KPwcKlD9T0aMeiji0ESjl6JtsVlNCyhb7JsU

If you don't trust the link (it's really safe, I wanna bring people in the game lol) then just go to tribesnext.com and download the game from there. People usually play anywhere between three to six hours from the time that I'm making this post, so basically if you live in america they play late at night, and on the server Snap Crackle Pub.

UT is so slow man.

Started playing Unreal today. It's fun.

Unreal Tournament or Unreal? In any case the original Unreal is great and everyone should play it.

Isn't it class/hero based? Even starts are the core of what makes something an Arena shooter, it's why even the Halo fanbase pitched a fit when Reach and 4 stopped being even starts since even halo at it's core was an arena shooter

or is, I guess, since Halo 5 is back to even starts and is surprisingly good, at least for the multiplayer and map editor/shits and giggles custom games; the campaign is trash

just do it and skip lunch for a day or something

There's some talk going around that duel will be no classes, so there's hope for that at least. I know champs are definitely gonna be disableable in dedicateds.

On the Halo note, I really wish they'd come to PC. They're pretty fun games but playing on a controller is cancer.

5 has a free PC port, but it's W10 only. It also lacks the single player, warzone, and matchmaking, but 5's SP is shit anyways and it has a server browser, so the only real thing you miss out on is warzone.

there's also a project for private Halo 2 vista servers called project cartrographer or something you can look into.

nah thats cool enjoy not using your brain

That is literally the fucking most standard bait AFPS threads get. Don't fall for it dumbass.

It doesn't matter if it's disabled in dedicated servers I want a no champ game mode or I ain't playing.

Come play Reflex if you haven't already. It's pure Quake at its heart.

Very good review of Reflex, if anyone is interested in the game.

Jesus, lots of dudes on the Reflex servers tonight

What fresh hell is this. What a strange kind of suffering.

Is this 2GD's game?

Why the fuck do you shills keep spamming Sans reaction images I thought we were past tge Undertale cancer

hownewareyou.

So what do you dudes groove to when fraggin' fags?

Post tunes

Is there a crack with multiplayer?

Arena shooters = stay alive, manage your surroundings, stay alive, and attain control.
Tactical shooters = the combat of arena shooters in solowmo + premeditated tactics

Neither is invalid, and I enjoy both. However if I find it odd you don't find tactical shooters to be repetitive.

The game's DRM free, but not with mp unless you're on LAN. I suggest buying it though since its cheap and made by good, independent devs, who trust their users to not pirate their game without paying for it.

I came in the Holla Forums exodus faggot, you Holla Forumsirgins came didn't come for political reasons at all, you came because of /gg/, which is entirely different than being right wing.

I'm far to the right as fuck, and you don't see me complaining about the devs. The game's characters are fucking robots, what are they gonna do, force robosexual propaganda on young children?

At least you newfags are admitting it, now leave.

Has the population dropped significantly after launch? I can't get it at the moment, but it'd be a shame if Reflex ended up with only about 50 players online during peak hours once I can finally get my hands on it.

It had about 220 players on launch and loses about 10 players per day. Currently has about 120 players. No telling where it'll average out or if it'll rebound. We're only talking about a week here after all which is not a long enough time to really base any predictions on but so far it doesn't look so hot. Getting duels on the low end of skill hasn't been a problem yet for me personally but I've heard high skill matchmaking can take 10 minutes or more. Most people playing seem to be Finns. I see a lot of people talking about how they'll get the game later and I don't know whether that's just people afraid they'll get stomped but not willing to admit it so they feign interest for some reason or people actually willing to get the game but unable to buy it for whatever reason. Either way it's impossible to know what the playerbase will be if these people actually get the game. All it would take to get a spike in players would be to give a key and buy some stream time from a big name streamer and their sheep viewers would buy the game inflating the playerbase with shitters to make it look like it's more popular. There's a streamer on Twitch who streams Reflex and he gets about 100 viewers. If every motherfucker that sits around watching this jackass would buy the game and play it, it would double the playerbase.

Quake Champions beta on 29th

Invites gone out yet?

Don't think so.
Do you expect anything other than cawadoody'fied loadout slow ass shooter from Neo-ID Software?
Just look what they did to dood 4 multiplayer.

forgot to remove smug flag
i actually have serious concerns about new quack being shit

Do you want to play a shooter that isn't CS? Don't have a choice. Everything else is shit. I don't even like CS, never did.