Cheat codes

Are there any recent games out there that feature them? What happened to them? Where did they go?
Kinda miss them to be honest.

Other urls found in this thread:

bindingofisaacrebirth.gamepedia.com/Seeds#Special_Seeds
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Binding of Isaac

The fact that all games autosave now days is basically a cheat code in itself.

achievements ruined cheat codes

BoI has cheats? In what way?

Ziggurat is the last game I played with cheat codes, including one that does this.

Autosave was a mistake

But OP they do make games with cheat codes.
They are called press copies.
What's that goy guy? you want to have that extra content?
that'll be $4.99

Achievements ruined gaming in general. It's like people don't even play games for the fun of it anymore and only want full completion.

This. And if I am correct, which I hope I am not, cheat code is going to be deader than dead. Even the Cheat Engine guys are not safe, seemed like they are under some kind of attack from Zionmax/Beth, there was a thread around here some time ago.

Inb4 TES6 with 'paid console access', 'paid mod', and 'paid modtool'. Remember, these cunts pushed Horse Armour, the first ever DLC once, and now we got DLCs every fucking where.

cheat codes originated mostly as a debug tool for console games.
now everything can be done using a command line on screen or through the network, which is disabled on release

They call them easter egg seeds, but they're essentially cheat codes.
bindingofisaacrebirth.gamepedia.com/Seeds#Special_Seeds

It's true, just checked. Didn't even know that. Thanks

When did Zionmax and Beth turn so irredeemably shit? Sure the horse armor was bullshit but after that they made some real impressive DLC considering it was a pretty much untouched market. Maybe they just got jaded after seeing what they could get away with and still get rich as balls in terms of gameplay depth when it came to Skyrim?

Yeah but that wasn't the goldenage of cheats. Shit like big heads, to playing as presidents were top tier random shit devs put in their games for fun. Stuff that modify the difficulty to extremely easy or extremely hard were also pretty fun to fuck around with.

Oh, I didn't really consider the seeds cheat codes because it prevents you from getting any cheevos or unlocks when you use them.

Look at the link I gave you again, it lists which ones block unlocks/achievements and which don't (such as big head mode etc.)

Last game i played with cheat codes was King Kong. Running around with 9999 shotgun shells was some of the most fun i had in that game.

Holy shit I have 400+ hours in the game and never knew some of them didn't disable shit, this is awesome user.

they turned into DLC you moron

you want that black costume for Zero? pay 2.99$ you stupid goy!

Sure, cheat codes still exist. You just have to pay money for them, and they're called "DLC" now

That’s why trainers exist. I love using trainers to get “difficult” achievements. Fuck the spergs.

You have to be 18 to post here.

Wrong. It is one of the earliest and most notorious examples of paid DLC. Thousands of games before had DLC and its been a common practice since before you were born.

thats not what i said retard, but keep pretending it is if helps you sleep.

inb4 more butthurt and greentext responses from your ID.

Platinum

Times are changing user. Some cheats are DLC. It's not the standard, and they're negativly received for now, but they do get away with it.

Indie games mostly. Turns out indiedevs care more about the experience than AAA – even the sjw devs

WHAT IS THIS KIKERY?

Why even bother? Unless you just get them along the way that's actually spergier.

you're lucky they'll even let you exchange your monopoly money for digital goods

You are either baiting or referring to the 'Expansion Packs'. And I am pretty darn sure that there were no DLCs in the 80s, you dipshit.

Hey at least we don't use Dongs as currency.

thats some crazy inflation.

Don't you mean to say that the dong… expanded?

Morrowind had plugin DLC
Total Annihilation had unit and map DLC
Doom had map DLC
and many games added DLC into their patches.
The internet isn't exactly some new thing and you can bet your ass that college students and nerds who were making video games and shitposting on usenet would make additional content available for download. Just because it isn't a $99.99 dress for your virtual waifu available on the official Microsoft app store does not mean it isn't DLC.

wew lad, you're more retarded than i thought at first.

Come on I just wanna hear about games with cheat codes, we all know how shit this industry is already.

you're only submerging yourself further in the mud.

How do you feel about unlockable cheats instead of codes? Like collect 100 things for big head or spend 100 stones for low grav? Assault Android Cactus gives you points based on your score that you can spend for things like first person mode, normal body proportions, superweapons, additional or simulated allies, and some color/shader options.

I don't mind those, Ratchet and Clank games have those too. Call them acheatments.

I heard the Ratchet and Clank remake has cheats.

I like that too, in fact it makes it even more satisfying to use the cheat. Like getting the infinity bandana in MGS

AAA dev's don't have the freedom to add shit in for fun any more, everything is done by the numbers given to them by analysts and bean counters, they cannot deviate from the formula to maximize shekels or they will be reprimanded or replaced by someone equally as clueless.
No more low-grav, big-head, darth vader on a skateboard because they'd have to pay a premium to disney for using the likeness of darth vader and it would lose the company billions of dollhairs.

And I forgot, the Lego games do that too, they have both cheat codes and ones you can buy.

Let's hack the board!

devmap 0
setforceall 9

Holy shit, you are a fucking idiot.

Behind a paywall, goyim.

Thanks a lot, Saints Row 3. I'll never forgive you for doing this shit.

No Fun Allowed.
I adore cheats, they kept games fresh and funny after you've beaten the fuck out of them.

Um..Okay.

Meanwhile, back in the day.

Beat the Game
Beat New Game Plus
Beat the Game on Hard
Impossible and Very Hard were insane without Cheats.

And then there was GTA San Andreas.

Pic related.
And then I learned that if you killed over 32 people in a mission, you were called a terrorist.

Those were the days.

Nowadays, Modern Hackers and Cheaters don't know how to have fun.

It's all INSTANT KILL OTHER PLAYER and HUGE LOOK AT ME I'M A CHEATER HIGH SCORE.

And now Devs want to sell you cheats? Fuck that. Cheat Engine and actually knowing how to program lets me disable these anti-fun features in these shit games and do whatever the fuck I want after I beat the game.

Hell, the only game in recent memory that lets you cheat without freaking out are Resident Evil Outbreak, 5 and 6 with the infinite ammo unlock because, well you worked for your cheat mode, you deserve it.

How so? Are unit packs downloadable off a developers website not DLC? Is 1998 not before the release of horse armor?

Except all of those were free you bloody idiot.

Yes, what is your point? Are you trying to imply that DLC and paid DLC are the same thing and that if it is free DLC then it isn't DLC? Will this be where we are in a couple years when paid mods finally take off, claiming free mods aren't mods because they are free? DLC is DLC regardless of them asking for your burger bucks.

how do i cheat code irl? spefically a gf cheat code??

Quit sperging out. You know bloody well that the term DLC didn't exist back then as it does now. Whenever someone uses the word DLC it's implied that you pay for it unless otherwise stated.

Why are you even bringing up paid mods? Community made content has always been free unless sponsored by the publishers/devs in question. Because it's made by the community, for the community.
Also,
Kill yourself you money grubbing kike.

Also pirated this game and it's pretty good!

So DLC isn't DLC just because it wasn't called DLC by the majority at one point and doesn't match your personal interpretation of DLC? DLC is downloadable content, both free and paid, paid DLC is paid downloadable content, free DLC is free downloadable content, nothing you can say will refute this fact. Unless you specify between free and paid DLC then your meaning is left ambiguous as both are still DLC, regardless of what year they are released.
Just like how paid DLC, digital distribution, and always online singleplayer games never gained ground. They already have their foot in the door with paid user-made skins and models for many games, they are just warming up for the non-stop hot wallet rape. I brought it up just because it seems like a similar impending situation.

One of the reasons I actually like the survival mode in Fallout 4. It should have released with it.

Modern games don't need cheat codes.

Metal Gear Rising, perhaps?
Hit the Konami code in the title screen to directly unlock Revengeance difficulty.
Now it's all about paying to get them, and it sucks.

you are quite possibly the stupidest poster today.
I have seen some fucking idiots too.

They are commercial expansion packs/sequels to OG doom much like Doom 2 is and not only did they sell them on their website but they were sold on retail AND consoles. Only difference is they're community-made than developed by 90's Id Software.

They were actually sold on retail as well as in repackages of the original, labelled as Expansion Packs for OTA.

You have to be 18+ to post in this website.

Why have cheat codes when you can get a bunch of dumbfucks to buy your cheat dlc instead?

Wow, that's a lot of fun.

What the fuck happened to him? I must know so such a fate does not befall me.

Rather than just call me a retard, try proving me wrong and teaching me what is right so I can be less retarded.

I never said those were DLC. I'll admit I might be remembering wrong about doom since its been such a long time, probably just confusing user maps with official. As for TA, They had units and maps available for download on their official site, being released on physical media later does not change this, or will you claim that modern complete editions of games that include all previous DLC somehow retroactively turns it all into an expansion pack? Claiming I am under-age does not refute the fact that Morrowind had DLC available before horse armor.

Your claim is old games used to have DLC. By wording DLC can be literally anything downloaded from the internet, by definition what you talked about were expansion packs and not DLC. "Free DLC" is nothing more than an update to the game itself and not optional extra content.
Doom has had free downloadable maps made by the community and some of them were released on retail such as Final Doom's TNT:Evilution and Plutonia as official expansions. Care to note you don't need Doom 2 to run these, as they were standalone mapsets and thus could be considered sequels.
The 9 maps and units released by cavedog for TA were released for free on their website, yes, but were labelled as a balance patch for the community at the time (patch 0.1.9b, later 0.1.9c, could be wrong at the exact number), it was also included in later versions of the Battle Tactics+Core Contingency I fucked up, core combat is something else expansion pack at the same time it was released.

The reason i say you're underage is because you're lumping an 00' post-Halo game as if it were the same as a 90's game (MWind 2002, TA 1997, Doom 1994) given the limitations and standards of the industry due to how unreliable the internet was back in both eras.

Cancer

Is this a side effect of the treatments? Or does he have some horrible face skin cancer?

How old are we talking here?
When I think old games I think PS2 era on back.
DLC really wasn't a thing until the generation after that (360, PS3, Wii).
You may have had a thing here or there for PC back then but i'm fairly certain the idea of having to pay for that shit wasn't around at that point.

Side effects. Hell, it's probably a sunburn that only happen when chemo fucks your skin

My claim isn't that old games had DLC, but just that horse armor was not the first DLC, and additionally that DLC does not refer exclusively to paid content. I'm not lumping games together by generation, quality, or anything of the such, just simply by having DLC before horse armor, and those were three examples I remember from my experience, though doom is most probably a false memory. Total Annihilation did have those units available in a patch, patch content being debatable on whether or not it counts as DLC, a patch, or both, but there were additional units available for individual download, in addition to several maps. I am also fairly certain that the units in the patch were originally released individually too. I am not saying the expansions are DLC, but some of the content included in them originally was. Again, being included in later expansion packs does not retroactively invalidate them as being DLC. Morrowind was another example as it had things like better swamp sounds, enchanted arrows, and that skeleton island available for download on its official website.
Though you are technically correct, I do not think calling Morrowind a post-halo game would be right since they were only released a year apart. A post-Halo game would have to be something released later enough to be significantly influenced by Halo.

Not old games, just games older than horse armor. As I said before, horse armor is among the first and most notorious examples of paid DLC. I can't say for certain if there were any other console games that did it first or not, but I do not remember any paid DLC before horse armor. However, the person who started this whole mess of shitposting originally stated that horse armor was the first DLC. The problem here is that DLC, by definition, is simply content for a video game available for download online, exactly what the term "downloadable content" would imply, and collectively refers to both free and paid content without any distinction unless otherwise stated. If you search for a definition of DLC, you will get something similar to what I stated. If you search any digital store for DLC, it will list both paid and free content. These validate the definition as correct and thus means that things like TA's units and maps or Morrowind's plugins, both available for free on their websites, are by definition DLC, DLC which precedes horse armor.
I am not 100% certain, but I am fairly confident that quite a few other games between 1995 and 2005 had free DLC to some degree, especially creative or competitive games like FPS and RTS providing a few official, or officially supported user-made, maps and skins. I vaguely recall downloading official stuff for UT2003 and a few maps for Warcraft III.

At what point do you guys consider console commands to be cheat codes? For me it's when they have unorthodox names and do something not really necessary for testing.

Jesus fucking Christ.

God, Imagine how bad that must hurt, like sticking your face in a deep fryer.

The question is what was the last game to have fun cheat codes? I mean shit like pic related. Not just god mode and a few rejected guns.

For anyone reading this who's not retarded.
The reason they're comparing DLCs to cheat codes is many fun cheat codes used to alter the player's appearance in fun ways or used to give you special items on command.
That's exactly what most DLCs are doing nowadays by selling you extra costumes or giving you those fucking "adventurer packs" and shit.

They went the way of unlockables, that's what.

The last game I remember playing that had actual cheat codes was Age of Empires 3.

The last game I played which had unlockable shit I don't even remember. I think those died out in the mid-2000's.

Cheat codes are bad for business tbh, gotta make them DLC.

N-no, 25 is the new 18 I swear.

If you want to play dictionary be my bloody guest. 'DLC', this term is coined by Beth themselves during the Horse Armour fiasco. That it is different from your examples in that:

1) They are either free very small content which not a lot knew about. Or.
2) They are commercially sold in retails (or through mail) and could be played as a standalone game (because patching in through internet was not a bloody thing in the 80s~00s). And are worth their money in amount of content.
3) They do not bloody cost an obscene amount of dosh for the contents received (the horse wank armour was like 5 or 10 dollaroo).

And I am done here. Time to contribute to the thread for OPs sake. Like I said here . By the 2020's, Zionmax could be selling console access, per command for $5 each, or a complete set for $300 if their kikery bullshit is not called out early like the 'paid mod' shit. I do like cheat codes for horseplaying around after a clear, sad to see achievements killed it though.