Are these the two hardest Mario games?

Are these the two hardest Mario games?
Mostly because of how different the controls are, Mario is more slippery and changing direction in midair is harder than in other mario games.

Other urls found in this thread:

a.uguu.se/y3LGTsC6VXSO_smbspecialnes
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Japanese SMB2 I can understand, but SMB1 feels like a decent average

Fisher Price toys are more your speed.

I never said these were the hardest games ever made. I'm talking about the Mario series.
In comparison to other games in the series, these seem to be the hardest, maybe with the exception of star/special levels.

Even then I'd still say SMB1 is an average difficulty, while 2's jankier level design and enemy placement make it one of the hardest 2D Marios

SMB 2 was a clusterfuck, and what I'm referring is that you get bloopers floating around the sky.

Not even close.
SMB Special is hard because it's a terrible game.

The bad screen progression really kills that game.

The best way to play Special is via Super Mario Crossover. Just choose between Sharp X1 graphics or NES graphics and just run through as Mario for the experience.

I'm not sure if you're shitposting or just extremely retarded.

Mario is only difficult because its all one-hit kills. Its not like its even hard to farm for mushrooms either so its easy to avoid complete game overs

It's a fucking hard game, one mistake and you'll die. You can easily bump into an enemy and fall and die, or just touch something. This is why I never take people seriously who think they're gaymers and never even tried Mario. I recently started to play it again but this time without level warps, I died a lot.

git gud.
Speaking of which I found my 4 copies of deluxe and have been playing with a few people and the boo races get addictive

Nigger tier argument, try playing after world 4 and not dying.

Wasn't Special just a remame of SMB1?

Not really. The levels and physics are different and there's new enemies and powerups. And it's shit.

That sounds kind of cool actually.
How does that even work.

Not well

Bros 3 is the hardest while still being fun. Jap Bros 2 is like a shitty romhack.

SMB1 is fun to speedrun. Teaches you the basics of how to move in most 2d SMB games.

damn, they really fucked up big time.

and it was made by hudson software.

That's nothing compared to this

Super fuckboy

Reminds me of this, and I played the bootleg version of this game

Pretty much this. 3 is still the only 2D Mario I have never beaten.

I mean you're not wrong, but there's a ROMhack of Mario 1 that ports the levels of Super Mario Bros. Special into the game. Unfortunately no Mario Bros. or Donkey Kong hazards.
www.romhacking.net/hacks/3281/
a.uguu.se/y3LGTsC6VXSO_smbspecialnes

That was THE shit when growing up. Good find.

That one looks a lot better than special

You fucking casual

How the fuck could you be able to beat SMB2 JP and not beat be able to beat SMB3?

Probably because it's rather long but has no save.

The All-Stars versions all have saves. As does the Advance version based on the All-Stars version

Warp whistles my nigga.

Dunno. "Lost Levels" seemed pretty straightforward, basically the exact same as 1 except a little more difficult. That's not to say I could beat it OFTEN (compared to Burgerland Mario 2 and World which I could beat with one hand tied behind my back) but it did happen a few times. For some reason I never got to finish 3; always got fucked over in world 8. I attribute this to the earlier Marios being beatable if you just brute force it through sheer autismpower, but 3 takes actual skill.

You should at that point have enough lives and enough items in your reserve to beat it, you fucking casual

Yeah, it was definitely poor item management. I attribute THAT to having never played any RPGs.

MARIO GAME
LUIGI GAME

Yeah that's usually how I beat it but it always felt sort of like cheating to me.

I have about 8 lives when I get to world 7 and after that it all goes down hill. I can play perfectly and not die once before, but world 7 and 8 destroys me.

The two most difficult mario games are Super Mario World and Yoshi's Island.

git gud

Japanese SMB2, the dark souls of mario games

I fucking hate this reality. I just want video games to crash so fans of video games can rebuild from the ashes.

The point of that game was to make it work on just about any old pc. There was no actual digital sound, only sound produced by the in built pc speaker.

What do you mean?

Are you not remembering the secret levels?
"Poochi ain't stupid" and the others?

Why not fix that then?

no shit, SMB2 also had secret levels wich were even harder than the base game.

except that no one has said that in this thread.

Considering most computers had no hardware scrolling and fuck all for video hardware, making something like the NES version at the time on any computer would have been a programming nightmare. Not everybody could have the Ultimate Programming Autist, John Carmack.

If you use a warp whistle while on warp island, I think you get to go straight to world 8. It's been 20 years since I last played Mario 3. How do you get two warp whistles? 1-3 behind the scenes trick, and top right corner of world 2, secret path opened with a hammer.

If you use warps or save states, or you played the remake of SMB 1 you have no right to call other casuals.

absolutely. i would say that they are. theyre much less floaty, and the level designs tend to leave less room for error.

the bonus levels in yoshis island could be pretty ridiculous.

You know I'm sure if I like what they did with the ground in SMB2j.

its kind of jarring, but at the same time its nice for a change of pace. the tileset could get pretty bland

Japanese Super Mario Bros 2 is great once you get good. The trick is usually to never stop moving. If you fuck up the rhythm of the level you're fucked, but if you just run through with quick reflexes, you can win with reasonable difficulty, and it feels super fulfilling. It's like what good Sonic games do.

The real purpose of the Warp Whistles is to let you warp to the last world you got to legitimately. If you use it to skip parts of the game entirely, you're only cheating yourself. If you use it as a makeshift save system, it feels clever.

How are the remakes different? I've beaten the NES version, the All-Stars version, and the Deluxe version at different points, but never really noticed a difference. Prefer Deluxe though because of all the extra challenges and shit, even though the screen zoom makes it a bit harder.

I think he's referring specifically to the fact that the All-Stars and the Deluxe version both have save features, which makes the game easier because you can save it and come back to it. Of course, people would just pause the NES original and leave the NES on while they took a break or whatever, so it's not really a point.

Well SMB1 isn't long at all, you can beat it easily between 30min - 1 hour based on how much you die.

Without warps? That still seems quite fast. I'm sure a casual playthrough without warps would take much longer.

It would only really take a few hours. Three hours tops.

Yes without warps, with warps you can beat it in about ten minutes.

You can beat it in under 5 minutes if you're good, but a regular person is going to take longer. Like if it's the first time you've ever beaten the game it's going to take a couple hours.

Depends on how casual we're talking here. Provided you keep the deaths to a minimum 30 to 45 min is about right.

A terrible run with warps takes as much as 15-16 minutes, and that's with a bunch of stupid deaths.

With enough skill you can reach the end using warps in about 6~8 minutes I'd say. A regular playthrough should take about 40 minutes if you don't go full retard.

Probably. I think 3 is pretty brutal as well, because of World 8.

Of course, 1 is only hard when you do it legit, with no continues and no warps. That's how I played it.

I never beat the Japanese SMB2. Getting all those lives on 1-1 is pretty irritation, and relying on continues just makes the game impossible.

The American 2 is considerably better, and one of the best Marios.

Took me hours when I was a kid. Most people are full retard.

Naw, it's pretty doable. Still a lot easier than plenty of NES games.

But I'm a weirdo who finds Super Mario USA harder than Lost Levels.

Not sure about that. Maybe it's just because I didn't like the game all that much. Didn't really think it was fun.

I beat a shitload of NES games. I tried to play SMB2 right after beating Ninja Gaiden twice. Didn't make it past World 6 or 7 even with the extra lives. I did give up pretty quickly, though.

fucking pleb
try flying above the ceiling just before the door that takes you to the boss in the first dungeon

I usually pick up the Warp Whistles myself, even if I never use them. Why? Because it's good fun

Autism.

collecting rare items and treasure is a fun aspect of video games

I'm almost 100% positive you just criticized a tool-assisted run for purposely using a glitch.

SMB3 is more retarded in terms of difficulty due to worlds 7-8. lost levels is a cake walk compared to those. fuck world 7 honestly

FTFY

That fucking got me off guard.

Have you played the A to D worlds in Lost levels? Those are complete bullshit, specially the castle C(?) where you need a fucking mushroom so you could through the firebars section, and it's fucking impossible without it.

yes and no
you just need to memorize the layout and it becomes 1000% easier
it's like most old Nintendo games, like ninja gaiden, where memorization is really the key.

Become proficient.

I still think Super Mario Advance 4's World e is great, and thanks to Nintendo you can now get a patched ROM with all the levels out there.

I remember trying to emulate Super Mario Advance 4 with the e-reader patch, but it was trickier than expected.

Neither were very hard to be totally honest.

New Super Luigi U is the hardest due to imposed time limits and such.

It's only meant for those willing to take the challenge.

I pretty much ignored all the New Super Mario Bros games until I got New SMBU as a present. The extra challenges in that game are a zillion times harder than anything in the classic games. The tricks you have to do are like things only speedrunners would do in normal games.

Similar to New Luigi U, specially the star road.

you niggers ain't seen nothing yet

This shit was pretty hard tbh fam. I dont know where paris is bruh XD

Mario is fucking doomed.

I remember the BROS video having a fuckton of video responses.

I love how you can tell despite copying mario bros they got none of the ingenuity of the design down. They just don't get how games work. Very western.

Mario is Missing's main problem is honestly probably that it's too easy. It just becomes extremely repetitive and monotonous because there's no challenge whatsoever.

Mario's Time Machine, however, is hard as fuck.

no shit

Yeah but the classic games had nothing that hard. Therefore, this one is harder.

The levels the fucking Japs make in Super Mario Maker are the hardest

I remember when videos had responses.

The best part is there is an impossible mod, have fun, fuckboys!

Whatever happened to those reply whores

They got chased off of YouTube, back in the good old days when you could call a whore a whore and not have a million thirsty betas white knight her to death

But now we got facereacting faggots.

I'm grateful for my ignorance

You missed the point, that's like saying FFXI is the hardest game ever because of Pandemonium Warden.

How is the Great Giana Sisters in tearms of difficulty?