Console Modifications Thread MK2

We had some good discussion last time, lets bring it back.

Console modifications thread, what are ya modifying or installing onto your console user?

Dont really know any other stores.

3DS hacking guides can be found here on Holla Forums as they have their own general thread.
Console modding guides can be found around the internet.

-

I am absolutely loving the Tokyo xtreme racing series, i feel bad about downloading the ISOs, so im gonna track down the originals and play them throu fmcb.

How did i do?

Other urls found in this thread:

ebay.com/itm/Playstation-2-Network-Adapter-PS2-Official-Genuine-HDD-Online-Modem-SCPH-10281-/132102695148?hash=item1ec1ef28ec:g:Yo8AAOSw241YUcC4
translate.googleusercontent.com/translate_c?depth=1&hl=en&nv=1&rurl=translate.google.com&sl=no&sp=nmt4&tl=en&u=http://www.modnet.no/contacts/&usg=ALkJrhipGpe699t6bvvHZaaZiyenuqvI8Q
translate.googleusercontent.com/translate_c?depth=1&hl=en&nv=1&rurl=translate.google.com&sl=no&sp=nmt4&tl=en&u=http://www.modnet.no/tjenester.html&usg=ALkJrhg8Jnl9xwWkEi4nLKgBymHziLz9rg
ebay.com/itm/like/122375588766?lpid=82&chn=ps&ul_noapp=true
ebay.com/itm/like/201661021124?lpid=82&chn=ps&ul_noapp=true
ebay.com/itm/like/142297163040?lpid=82&chn=ps&ul_noapp=true
psx-scene.com/forums/f19/backups-sksapps-com-156667/
tech.archnet.us/SKSApps/SKS/sksapps.com/index1ab1.html?page=hd.html
tech.archnet.us/SKSApps/SKS/sksapps.com/index1ab9.html?page=launchers.html
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

I modded my PS2 a long time ago with a chip. Maybe I should sell it

Depends on the modchip as well as model of the PS2, best to do some research.

Ill ask here as well

Are there any major differences between game versions for the PS2? other then the Agent under fire fix to stop stuff being loaded on the second level, ive noticed a lot of games on emu paradise host multiple versions of the same game.

is it worth getting the highest version?

In cases where a game is stupidly hard to find/expensive, or didn't come out where I live anyhow, I don't mind just downloading it for emulation or playing with a modded system. Better than paying out the ass on the aftermarket for a copy, and in the case of out-of-region games, it's not like they deemed where you live to have been worth the effort and potential for profit anyhow. Common games I'm more prone to just picking up a copy of if I can find them cheaply, unless it's one I'm a bit leery as to whether or not I'll like it (I do at least try to do some research before dropping money). That's not to turn this into yet another "buying vs pirating" discussion, but I do hope you're not planning to pay scalper prices on stuff, even if you want an actual copy.

On what, making the thread?

You mean differences between specific regional uploads?

I meant in making the thread and putting some info and links in the OP, didnt know how to best word it.

What i mean is that here on emuparadise there are multiple versions of the same region games, an example being the GTA series. Liberty City Stories USA for example has two versions, 1.0 and 3.0 and i cant find any information regarding what the changes are, unless im not looking hard enough.

Same with Vice City and San Andreas, 1.0 and 3.0 available for the same region.

Also god no im not paying scalper prices, if i cant get them cheap ill stick to my burned ISOs.

Game revisions are pretty much always bugfixes (generally very hard to trigger hard freezes or minute stuff you won't notice) and rarely censorship, generally go ask or look around the speedrun communities for those games for details on what those differences are but more often than not you won't get any answer because there's really no obvious differences.

One particular case is one of the Tomb Raider on PS1 that has 9 revisions or something and all of them are for different promotional material included in the game.

San Andreas probably had revisions to remove Hot Coffee completely from the game.

Well, if you're aiming to make this a recurring thing, having some actual links in the guides section (or images/screencaps, etc) would be more useful than just telling people to go find it. Hell, with the 3DS one, you could have just crosslinked to the post in the 3DS thread.

Been considering making an image in regards to the PS2, but my only experience has been with WinHIIP while I hear that HDL Dump/HDL Dumb (apparently both exist, not sure of the differences) are better, so I'm not sure how useful a WinHIIP one would be at this point.

Could possibly be different prints that have been uploaded, and in some cases those had various changes (if memory serves, the PS1 Spyro games have some differences in songs between the original and GH prints, with the GH ones properly implementing songs that for whatever reason went unused prior).

Good. Though, if you do wind up seeing something you'd like but is otherwise too expensive on average at a much lower cost, I'd say it's an acceptable purchase.

Thanks for the helpful information fellas, i didnt know any of that!

We should defo make this a rare occurrence thread since the last thread was me and others linking guides and talking people into softmodding their ps2s. but i dont know how to make a guide and dont have the xbox fat modding guide that i see floating around here.

Bumping.

Gonna mess with my PS2, I know a modchip will let you load games off an HDD but is the same true for swapmagic and memory card exploits like that?

I didn't even need a modchip to get mine working with an IDE, just followed some instructions and installed the right files to it. In regards to SwapMagic, I'm pretty sure that just acts as a bypass to the system itself checking some codes on the disc, at least for the region code (Basically the disc has a region code matching with your PS2 which the system reads, and then the disc tells the PS2 to stop spinning the disc so it can be replaced). Swapmagic requires some extra stuff though; If you've got a fat you'd need a slide card (or some other way to manually open the disc tray), while I seem to remember them having some replacement part of the casing for slims in order to remove the disc. I could be wrong though. I'm just going off of what I remember seeing.

Thanks user, looking into it.

Virtually everything outside of *easy* PS1 backup loading can be done without a modchip now via FreeMCBoot.

If you absolutely need PS1 backups then just install one of the PIC based PS1 modchips (provided you have a supported model).

I've got mine set up with a 250 gb Maxtor and use WinHIIP to install games to it. Do note that you'll also need a way to connect the drive to the computer (as well as power it) when you go to set it up or install games onto it, as well as a network adaptor for the PS2 in order to connect the drive to the system when you insert it into the expansion bay (hence this method requires a fat one as slim's don't have the bay).

That was the thing I meant, not swapmagic. So you can hook up an external USB to a ps2 and play games off that with FreeMC?

PS2 only has USB 1.0 to my knowledge, and from what I've heard it is WAY too slow to try to run anything through that port (compared to a system with USB 2.0+ support).

FreeMCBoot alone is just an exploit that allows you to easily boot custom software - the backup loader itself is (commonly) OPL.

USB loading isn't the preferred method - if you are able you can get far better results from either network share loading or from the internal HDD.

Wii user from last thread,I already instaled Cios and Bootmii and Priiloader,just in case what is the best backup loader for games?

Out of curiosity, did you have a model able to install bootmii as boot2, or did you have to use boot3?

Usb loader gx and have nintendont installed. Usb loader gx will integrate nintendont and boot gc games through it, i think you need cios 252 or something, should be easily installed with any ios manager.

Don't you need the network adapter to install an internal hard drive? I live in Iceland and getting things shipped here usually takes upwards of a week.

I installed it through boot2 since mine is a early model

You can load through your network then, but the adapters are like $5 a piece.

Yeah, a network adaptor connects the drive to the PS2, letting the system access data on it, and allowing the drive to be powered. Thankfully they're pretty damn cheap here in the states, and I don't think there's much demand at all for them at this point, aside from the occasional person wanting to run games off an IDE (think the prior main purpose was stuff like FFXI). Not sure if you could import a NA adaptor and use it with a PAL one, or if the adaptors are region locked like the system too.

Nice. I've got mine as boot2 as well. When I've mentioned it before in threads, there seems to be some amount of jealousy (not that it isn't a good thing to have; boot2 allowing for loading a backup of the system should it brick, letting you effectively unbrick the Wii). I do have to wonder if there's a proper tell for if one is able to do so (range of production model numbers that you could determine from a sticker, maybe?), or if it's all just pure chance with the older models.

Only Wii models before 2008 allow you to install as boot2 if i remember correctly,newer versions need to install as IOS

Money's not the primary issue. It's mostly because shipping everything to the end of the world is usually way more costly than the thing you are actually buying and I hate having to wait for a week or two.

Yeah, I don't think I'd like living in a PAL area (they miss out on enough vidya as is, and the aftermarket in some areas, like Australia, seems all kinds of fucked), let alone a place kind of far from anywhere the industry makes a proper effort to send stuff too. Still, I'd say it's probably worth looking into in the long run if it's liable to cost you much less than looking for actual copies of PS2 games.

IDE method also ignores region lock and will allow for playing of hacked games, like fan-translations and undubs.

Yeah, but is there a proper tell as to how old your model of Wii actually is, or just luck of the draw if you're looking at a pre/post 2008 one?

There might be a list with the wii models and the dates somewhere on the internet.

Whelp. See you in a month.

see you in 4

Again, I'd say to double check as to whether your PS2 would need an adaptor from the same region as it or not, and honestly I'd be a bit leery as to hardware shipping from China. Also just to double check, you DO have a fat PS2, right?

That specification of "NO Network Adapter" confuses me as that's clearly a network adaptor in the image, but maybe I'm not getting something.

its probably just got the components for the SATA interface, but lacks the network jacks. These are pretty good alternatives although I'm not sure how I feel about chink shit like this. They fuck up basic RCA cables.

Dude's running this operation from Australia. So these are for PAL regions.

Yeah, I've got 3 fats so this is bound to work on at least one of them.

Mostly everything is chink shit these days, it's more of a question of how much oversight they have. They've got very positive feedback from buyers on these items so that free (but slow) shipping made me decide to gamble on it.

I know a professional store in Norway that sells modchips, does modchip installs and provide 1 year warranty if anyone is interested. Got my pstwo, slim, modified there almost ten years ago. I have been very satisfied with their work.

Well you might have fucked up, chinese SATA adapter seem to have way worse compatibility, they did a couple years back.

Well, I'll find out in a month. I'm the IT guy at the local high school so I have access to a bunch of old hard drives. I'm sure one of them will work.

Bringing some life back to this thread.

Anyone modding PS2/PS3 can check out pheonix media on YouTube. The guy has the best video tutorials out there.

Embed related.

I feel a little sick but curious. I'll check when I'm home.

Not marketing, I swear. The videos are pretty damn old now. His guides are what I used to get shit running after I finally had Free McBoot on my memory cards. He talks a lot, but he explains everything in a way that a moron can understand.

do they do international stuff?

I'll say it again. Unless you wan't to play games at your friend's house (If your friend even owns a PS2 still), you're better off setting up a HDD or Network Share for your PS2.

I agree. Only reason I chose that video is because most people probably have a flash drive, not a 3.5HDD that happens to be compatible, not doing anything on some shelf in their home.

Also, aside from the search results for "PS2 Compatible HDD", have there been any changes to the HDD's that work? I'd like to fit something big like a 1TB HDD or at least 500gb, but most of the lists only have stuff that's around 80-160GB in range.

Bumping because I saged.

I don't really know much about PS2 HDD Compatavility. I'd assume anything that's within MBR Standard (

It's actually an even bigger proprietary mess than the xbox is.

Anyone know retailers that ship to Europe that sells original PS2 network adapters (not any shitty chinese knockoffs)?
I suffered with USB HDD playing but ran into the first game that wouldn't work.

I've been able to find plenty on Amazon + Ebay that were willing to ship internationally and they are dirt cheap compared with local prices (even considering shipping costs)

i.e ebay.com/itm/Playstation-2-Network-Adapter-PS2-Official-Genuine-HDD-Online-Modem-SCPH-10281-/132102695148?hash=item1ec1ef28ec:g:Yo8AAOSw241YUcC4

yeah, all you need to really avoid on xbox is maxtor/seagate due to their own picky half-assed standards support. They will work if you have a modded xbox however. Otherwise IDE works, there's documented SATA adapters that work.

You could try contacting them.
Contact page (translated):
translate.googleusercontent.com/translate_c?depth=1&hl=en&nv=1&rurl=translate.google.com&sl=no&sp=nmt4&tl=en&u=http://www.modnet.no/contacts/&usg=ALkJrhipGpe699t6bvvHZaaZiyenuqvI8Q
Services (translated):
translate.googleusercontent.com/translate_c?depth=1&hl=en&nv=1&rurl=translate.google.com&sl=no&sp=nmt4&tl=en&u=http://www.modnet.no/tjenester.html&usg=ALkJrhg8Jnl9xwWkEi4nLKgBymHziLz9rg
Email address: [email protected]/* */
Actual page name: www.modnet.no

…Just noticed that things may not go so well for them. They don't seem to have any latest generation stuff.

Ah, ill stick local, thanks for the links.

Another bump.

Any other homebrew worth looking at for the PS2?

how do I make joycons less shit?

Hey this dude again

So this guide to installing FreeMCBoot to an internal HDD says I need a retail HDL/HDA disc. Isn't there someway around that?

Yes. You can use a PC with an IDE port to write a disk image to the HDD you want to use for your PS2.
I used an image to booted to ulaunchelf and from there I installed freehdboot to the HDD. You could also find a disk image with freehdboot already installed.

buy a cheat disk, or other means of transferring files from usb to the memory card, but a network adapter and do a soft mod instead.

ebay.com/itm/like/122375588766?lpid=82&chn=ps&ul_noapp=true
ebay.com/itm/like/201661021124?lpid=82&chn=ps&ul_noapp=true

ebay.com/itm/like/142297163040?lpid=82&chn=ps&ul_noapp=true

less than 30 bucks

that is assuming of course that you have a PS2, a HDD that will hook up to the network adapter and a spare memory card

how old is that guide?
most people do internal HDD these days? or even USB 1.1

also here, SKS apps is where I learned to do this shit years ago

psx-scene.com/forums/f19/backups-sksapps-com-156667/

and I ask how old that guide is because I'be got like 10 games in my HDD

er, this guy seems to know whats up actually

gonna post this before I go

HDD stuff
tech.archnet.us/SKSApps/SKS/sksapps.com/index1ab1.html?page=hd.html

ulaunch elf
tech.archnet.us/SKSApps/SKS/sksapps.com/index1ab9.html?page=launchers.html

It runs games fine, but it stutters on FMV. Load times aren't great, but fine.

thinking of picking up an n64 so I can RGB mod it. I think that will be a really fun project.

What would the logistics be for running an RGB through to an HDMI? I have plenty of room on my splitter, but it doesn't take RGB.

not worth it, either try to get hdmi solutions for consoles, or get a good upscaler. OSSC or wait until micomsoft's framemeister successor. Going from an analog to a digital signal introduces a lot of lag and it's not worth it. The NES has an expensive HDMI mod and the N64 has a less expensive one too, but I think it's best to have an analog display for these games. Plus, the games look better too.

Don't feel too bad about using an Iso for a TXR game, Crave is dead And Konami is shit if you're a euro and Genki is busy courting casuals with a temple Runner knock off. If you want another recommendation to play, the Japanese Version of Kaido Racer 2:Chain Reaction. The physics are pure sex and it has some Lotuses and the Pantera in it Fuck Konami for taking those out of the translated version

Only had a chipped PS1 that my dad bough. Had fond memory of of having a whole bunch of Maxwell CD-R's with a nice spread of games.

You mean like a CRT? I don't have the room for one at the moment. My HD TV seems to do well enough, none of that forced 60 fps shit.

Thanks for that, ill try it once my work period is over, got a few more days to go.

As a heads up if you're still around, bear in mind that you have multiple options for loaders (namely HDLoader and OPLoader), and just because a game might not work with one doesn't mean that it's the same case with the other. For instance, with .hack Infection, in HDLoader the game crashes when trying to load The World, but the game plays just fine (thus far anyhow, in my own experiences) in OPLoader instead. There's some game compatibility lists out there for both.

Yes, a crt. Its not the frame smoothing that is the universal lcd issue, the issue is that it processes and upscales every frame from low resolution sources. Lcd can only operate at one resolution, and anything lower than that resolution is upscaled to fit into the native resolution.

It also looks pretty ugly because all games made pre 6th gen were designed for specific aspect ratios and modern lcds do not accurately represent them with their fixed pictures.

Still around. Thanks. Could I put both loaders on the same hard drive?

Sure can. I had both as part of the same modpack when I set mine up. They're basically two separate applications, both of which run the ISOs that you've installed (and yes, again, they do have to be installed, not just placed on the drive). Though, I will say that the modpack I used might be a bit outdated, as it came with OPLoader 0.9.1, and that loader's currently on 0.9.3. It's working for what I'm playing right now, but in the future I might need to try to figure out how to replace the loader with the current one, especially if stuff like translation patches are made with working with the at-the-time most up to date one.

One more heads up: HDloader will automatically load the roster of what games you have on the drive once you get past the boot up screen, while with OPLoader, the first time you may need to go under settings and tell it where to pull files from (in this case, the HDD). Basically set it to Manual or Auto (the latter will make it locate the files upon app boot up) and then you can tab over to the list of games. First time I tried, I could find a games list in the app, and it was simply that it hadn't been told where to look yet.

Cool, I still got a ways to go before the adapter gets here so I'm just taking my time downloading ISOs and getting FreeMCBoot on it.

BUMP holy shit i barely missed this thread

like, yeah, it's tidy, but boy howdy is that not something you'll ever see in "best practices" signal routing guidelines.

Anyone know of any reliable guides for PSP hacking? I know that it's been cracked wide open for years, but I don't know if I should trust a random guide I find with a browser search. The 3DS one worked great, if there's one for the PSP that's that comprehensive that would be nice.

Also, is there any way to make it work if you don't have memory stick reader? I have a mini-USB cable to hook up my PSP-3000 to my computer, but I've been told that's a horrible way to do it. I bought a chip reader that was supposed to support memory stick pro duo, which I've got, but for some fucking reason it refuses to read them. It reads SD cards fine, but not memory sticks. It's frustrating because I shelled out about $30 for it and it's pretty much useless to me. All I want is a portable PS1 emulator, god damn it.

Yeah, might as well get started on hunting down the game files themselves. But you may want to double check on the ability to play some of the games you're looking into, see what's compatible with what loader, if either. Though I suppose with Free Mc Boot or whatever you could just as well burn the ones that don't want to play digitally to a disc, or something.

I seem to recall simply used Wololo's PSP hacking guide as well as their CFW files (it was a while back, so for the 3000 they only had Pro-C Fix 3 as the best; I think that's changed now, or something), and maybe a few videos on youtube just to see how setting it up was supposed to look in motion. PSP and Wii are among the easier systems to hack/mod. Just make sure you're looking for the specific instructions and CFW files for your model.

As for the connection, I just use my PS3's controller cable for putting content on my PSP (as said cable had one end as micro USB and the other as regular USB). It hasn't seemed all that noticeably slow to me, though of course some PSP and even PS1 games can be a while due to the file sizes involved. Never had to get a card reader for my PSP's memory stick, unlike my Wii's SD card. Just my own experiences with it though.

There are so many games I'm not worried if some of them don't run.

I also got a modded Xbox so the few games that won't work on the PS2 will probably work there.

Wouldn't be a problem with enough insulation, problem is that's not enough insulation. Check for impedance on that if it's going to matter but it probably won't because it's a processor and the ghost interference won't be that much to make it operate differently.

You could definitely save some space up on your PS2 since 99% of multiplats run better on the Xbox anyway. Plus you've got pirateable DLC

Arguably it would depend on if the stuff that is not readily playable digitally are multiplat games or not.

I got a Wii question
So i used to have it soft modded, but when i moved the memory card that did the work got damaged. Do i have to start from scratch with letterbox again, or is it just a matter of throwing files onto a different sd?

Wut? If its already modded, its already modded mate. As long as you have the Homebrew Channel you're set, you don't need to mod it again. You should probably update the cIOS(s) though

One of my favorite console mods is plucking the plastic tabs from the SNES so you can play Super Famicom cartridges. Super Famicom games are much more reasonably priced and now finding good games is actually compelling and feasible again.

Any PS3 piracy/homebrew resources?

日本語読めない

if for whatever reason you have to mod it again because you do not have access to the homebrew channel, letterbombing will take you 5 minutes, from there you just need the necessary cioses for things like usb drive support and you're all set.

The whole thing should take you 10-15 minutes to set up, and use wiixplorer to conveniently ftp shit over.

PS3ISO and PSX place, you can also get your vidya and DLC from PS3ISO

I tried to mod my wiimote into a remote controller, but I don't think it worked.

Try throwing real money instead of that monopoly money

Need more magic.

You forgot to jizz on it