Resident Evil: An Autistic Post

Trigger Warning: Autism ahead

What does Resident Evil mean?
No, no, I don't mean a philosophical "What do these games meaaaaaaaan, but rather, what does the phrase "Resident Evil" itself mean???

I see a lot of people who claim it has the silly meaning of "a resident who's a meanie", but wouldn't that be grammatically wrong? The adjective is supposed to be before the noun (in most cases), so their interpretation of "Resident Evil" has it backwards. "A resident who's evil" makes grammatical sense but it sounds retarded.

Now, the meaning I give it is "The evil that resides within", or "The evil that's resident". As in, "Resident" is the adjective and "Evil" is the noun. That makes a lot more sense since we can interpret the "evil" as the virus that's present in every RE game, which is indeed inside the body, as a resident of the body, of its victim.

That also makes sense in the context of that other game made by a staff of RE, "The Evil Within". If you think about it, it's the exact same meaning as "Resident Evil". An evil that's within or residing inside the body.

Anyway discuss or whatever

A mansion with some spooky shit in it. The nip name was bio hazard, which makes more sense, but they decided to arbitrarily change it for burgers, so "resident evil" it was

This. But rather than residing in the body, evil resides inside humanity as a whole.

Yes I think Bio Hazard is infinitely cooler and more appropriate title.

But yeah, it's what said. I think Resident Evil was more appropriate given the cheesiness of the first game, and makes it more obvious that it was inspired by Sweet Home. Not that it matters too much that it doesn't make sense anymore. Your brain stops thinking about it if you hear it enough times and it's more about the sound of the words than the actual meaning.

Resident Evil was better when it was cheesy as fuck anyways. Vid related

Well shit, I feel kind of fucking stupid not seeing that before. Good work.

They just picked an ebin complicated sounding title that alluded to an evil spooky house.
Biohazard is much more fitting.

Resident Evil is the butchered localization of Bio Hazard, as to say we've been fighting the same war for 20 years with no end in sight.

The only way is to handle localization in the UK.

Tips for some people, we have 3 waves of resident evil

Resident Evil 1
Resident Evil 2
Resident Evil 3
Resident Evil Code Veronic

Resident Evil 4
Resident Evil 5
Resident Evil 6

Resident Evil 7

Wasn't the reason why they couldn't use the Biohazard title because of some other game or product using the name "Biohazard", and they didn't want to get sued or pay a fee for using it?

No, the marketers told the japs that they'd never be able to register the biohazard name in the US, also there was a DOS game called biohazard. So they held a name contest and Resident Evil won.

As an example, I pointed out that a crappy DOS-based game had just come out in the US called ‘Biohazard' (not to mention the New York hardcore band of the same name) and that we'd never be able to secure the mark. As a result, the head of marketing held a company-wide contest to come up with a new name for the game.

I fucked up the green text at the end

I always thought it meant the Evil that is Resident within all human beings aka Umbrella willingly killing so many people.
You brought up The Evil Within, which when I heard of, I drew the same conclusions.

So, you call it the evil of the virus within the infected, but I lean more towards the evil of human beings, who created the virus.
Las Plagas fags need not apply.

A shitty DOS game and a metal band both had the name and it would've caused legal problems, yeah.

I got a better question
Why are these guys such fucking garbage?

I'm so glad I wasn't alone on this thought

Happy to help

malevolence close to home. That's the meaning. Pretty simple when you remember Japan loves corny-ass puns.

RE1: The bad guy/most bankrupt one was captain of your squad

RE2: Pick your flavor. Sherrie's psychotic father who impregnated her, Chief Irons who allowed him & Wesker leeway to do heinous shit, or the spy that got close enough to Leon to nab samples of the G and T variants and flee the scene mostly unscathed.

RE3: Irons still in the running, add Nikolai to the mix.

RECV: Haven't played it, are the various ports lacking in any content (serious question, here: I have a dreamcast copy but not a DC console that works and this is a toaster so no emulation)

Every RE afterward: your team has a spy or an "old friend" is back and up to no good.

There's your problem.

I was actually going to make a thread about this when I got back from work. Guess the Holla Forums hivemind is back in effect.

Is that supposed to be a surprise for anyone that has played the games?

Code Veronica is a lot of familial stuff if that counts. Claire and Chris, Alexia and Alfred, even a bit of Steve and his father. Don't know the differences between Veronica and Veronica X off the top of my head, except for the Wesker vs Alexia fight, where CV just has Alexia slap Wesker around like a bitch as opposed to CVX.

Why is he walking like Simon Belmont?

that's abit mistaken and missing alot of the other side games

GBA version with the demo almost filling up the entire cartridge's capacity.

The first game took place in a house with a bunch of scary monsters in it.
Video games are toys.
"Resident Evil" sounds cool and conveys the spooky scary monsters in this spooky scary mansion exploration game.

If you ever wanted to know why the american fans of "Resident Evil" took such great exceptions to the way the story evolved over the years/games then you have to look no further than the name itself.
"Biohazard" as a title name perfectly encapsulates scenarios where whole cities, regions, and countries could be contaminated by monster viruses. It is also a name that encapsulates the fact that it can be an action game and that "survival horror" isn't the exact aim.

What is in a name? Everything.

So when people say "RE 5 wasn't a resident evil game" or "RE 6 wasn't a good resident evil game!" one thing you need to realize is that they were perfectly fine for the title "Biohazard".

"Survival horror" is a meme built upon a title for this series of games.
I love them. But I have never treated them as any sort of serious thing. I actually don't really like RE7.
This is coming from a guy who does a run of RE2 at the start of every October ever since I had the game on PC (not steam, back when games came on disks and controllers were plugged into serial ports. It had a neat theme for windows 98 coupled with it.)

you're close baby but you're not at "fun is just a buzzword" levels yet

Is it true that Code Veronica is the actual RE3?

Oh i'm sorry, is that marketing term near and dear to your heart?
Bet you still call yourself a "gamer" too, huh?

When you finally dislodge that thick marketing dick from your throat maybe you can get some oxygen to your brain to think.

"Resident Evil" isn't a "Survival Horror" not even the first fucking game is.
It is a logistics and inventory management game coupled with economy of movement set pieces the mastery of which largely depends upon MEMORY more than any skill.

The logistics is getting item A over to slot B in room C to advance the game. Inventory management is making sure you can have the right items in your inventory when you reach a certain room.
The economy of movement set pieces deal with how enemies are placed in any given room and how well you can move between them. Killing these enemies is part of the inventory management (ammo and weapons being carried) and a way to circumvent the economy of movement game (yes, the controls being sucky tank controls are part of the game itself).
Since there is almost no way to do this smoothly on a first play through, they reward you with higher rankings which will take repeated playthroughs. Memorization of enemy placement and what items need to go where and in what order are the only ways you master the game.
This is every first wave RE game. This formula was broken starting RE4 and onwards when it moved into action.

The only thing "horror" about these games amount to the "spooky skeletons" meme.

"Survival Horror" is more like the recent Alien game, Amnesia, Outlast, and things like that. Where there is no method to just blast your way out of a sticky situation.

wew almost had a point until you decided being a pleb is a far better idea

Wouldn't Code: Veronica be in the same wave as RE4? Also I would count 5 and 6 as a somewhat separate wave so it would be something like:

Resident Evil 1
Resident Evil 2
Resident Evil 3

Resident Evil: Code Veronica
Resident Evil Remake
Resident Evil: Zero
Resident Evil 4

Resident Evil 5
Resident Evil: Revelations
Resident Evil 6
Resident Evil: Revelations 2

Resident Evil 7
Resident Evil 2 Remake

He's right about Alien Isolation. Outlast was alright but nothing special. Amnesia is a meme game, so is the sequel. Penumbra was their masterpiece, they shouldn't of tried to make lightning strike twice.

REmake 2 is first wave

Ah good refutation bro.
How about you just call me a fucking white male and make everything I said completely illegitimate while you're at it?

Oh…oh wait we're not on tumblr or twitter are we?

Guess you actually construct a point and prove it!

requesting the RE summery by user

no he's not, there's lots of ways out of a sticky situation in alien isolation but outlast being alright? it's a fucking walking simulator and nothing more

you're right about everything else though

fucking white males I tell you, boiling down aspects of games inorder to seem like they have a decent point but really all they're doing is cherry picking since the games they gave examples of indeed have what they're complaining about in them

I literally can't even right now

You know how I know you never played those games?

You're not really refuting the fact that the game is a survival horror, you're just giving the game mechanics different names.
You have to manage your items as they're scarce in order to survive. Yes, memorization would allow you to save up on item usage, but that doesn't mean that you're not economizing item usage on the first playthroughs.

I also don't understand why you consider RE4 to be different. The memorization rule still applies, as long as you know where each enemy is coming from and your aiming doesn't suck, then you'll be able to get through. I don't think they're randomized so you can practice a certain strategy many times until you master it and then you'll be able to break through any situation using as little ammo as possible.

Their proper names. "Survival Horror" is a genre word, a marketing term. But its as empty as calling something a "romantic thriller". It doesn't describe the reality of the product at all.

That's exactly why its not survival horror. With this logic you can call Call of Duty a survival horror with scarce enough ammo. But the difference here is that your inventory in the first wave of resident evils is extremely limited. You are often forced to choose between being armed to the teeth and making tons of runs back and forth to item boxes to complete puzzles or just being good at dodging enemies.
Furthermore, given that you can play the games on an easy or normal setting and still be able to kill everything that ever crosses your path just exposes the lack of "survival horror" here. You can't play any of the other games I listed on an easier setting and suddenly have all the ammo in the world to vanquish your foe(s). Therefore, the "survival" part of RE games is the same "survival" that you can apply to pretty much any game.
"Horror"? Well…why? Because of the monsters? jump scares? Some crazy rambling character? You can apply that same distinction to RE4 through 6 then. Those are clearly action games.

Ammo drops. Weapons upgrades. Set pieces that are clearly meant to be fought out to finish through as opposed to set pieces that challenge your memory and knowledge of enemy movement style. Basically, the obstacle-maze elements of the previous RE games is completely gone, replaced with a shooting range.
The inventory management in RE4 is a formality that really at no time presents a true challenge in itself.
it is a completely different game.

I think it describes it pretty well.
I can call it a survival game because there's resource scarcity, yes. I can't call it a horror game because it isn't one.
Survival is indeed about managing limited resources. The less resources you have, the more difficult it is to survive. Is it possible to make do with little or no resources? Of course. It's just more difficult. That's what survival is about.

How does this affect whether or not the game is "survival"? This has absolutely nothing to do that.
Limited inventory size means the game has inventory management. It's a survival game with inventory management, I'll give you that. But how, exactly, does inventory management negate the fact that the game is about survival?

Wow, the easy setting makes thing easy???? No fucking shit
I agree, taking away the scarcity defeats the purpose, but that's why it's an optional setting. Also, that makes resources scarce, not unlimited. You can still fuck up if you're really bad at managing them.

I agree. Many games are about survival. Doom also has limited resources and you have to know which weapon to use, according to how much ammo you have at the time, depending on what ammo is more available at the current map, and depending on whether or not you don't just want to run past by the enemies.
Not all games have resource scarcity, though, I'd say most games have unlimited resources or at least resources that fill up frequently. What sets survival horror games apart is the fact that resources are super limited, even more so than games like Doom, to the point where combat is not always encouraged.

Sure. The atmosphere, music, pacing, art direction, camerawork, the writing, the tone of the game. Everything has to work together to bring the terror.
If you don't find it particularly scary that's on you. The game's genre isn't defined by your perception, but the author's intention.

They are. I don't consider them horror. Maybe action games with horror scenery.

I don't know the older RE much, but in Silent Hill they'd sometimes spawn items at certain places depending on how badly you're doing at the game, and the horror works well regardless.
And? How exactly does this negate the survival aspect?
Dude, just so we're clear. We're talking about how RE4 is a survival game much like previous iterations. I fail to see how puzzles change anything at all. Sure, you don't have puzzles to memorize, but we still have enemy placements to memorize. This is why I'm saying the memorization rule still applies.

I found it challenging at certain times. It means you can't carry whatever you want and you're forced to upgrade from time to time.
Still, I'll say this again. I don't understand how that has anything to do with whether or not the game is different from previous RE games in terms of how memorization helps the game.

Yes
I agree
But I wasn't talking about that.

I think you're right, but Resident Evil 2 Remake is the same thing than Resident Evil 2 but with updated graphics.

Resident Evil 7 is a new Resident Evil in first person and abandoned the original characters of Resident Evil, abandoned the action from Resident Evil 5 and 6, and Resident Evil 8 could be the same thing.

But I really like the Leon and i wanted him back but seems that Resident Evil 7 started a new wave of Resident Evil and the characters will not be cops and heros like Leon trained for missions.

thought i'd find some hotheads ITT trying to get a new meme to rise but you fucking retards are legit discussing this as if it was ever a question..

Wow.

The same reason why Hideo Kojima named Metal Gear its namesake. Through the lens of the engrish speaker, it sounds cool. Also what's with nips and their obsession with the word gear? Guilty Gear. Metal Gear.

>>>/suicide/

If we are to assume that the japanese who use these english words know the full meanings of them, then you can ascribe it to the Japanese slant towards word puns and exploiting multiple meanings.
Gear can refer to an actual mechanical gear. Or it can refer to stuff that you wear/equipment you utilize. Both literal definitions can have a couple multiple interpretations as you go through the story/game and that is on top of being the name of the BIG BAD WEAPON.

Puns, multiple meanings, multiple interpretations happens often in anime too. Titles of shows, names of characters, etc.

I would say there appears to be, or at least there once was an era of, plays on context when it comes to titles and names for them.

because of those toilet plungers lodged in your colon?

You called?

good shit mate

It means "evil lives here". There's no depth to it, no matter how hard you try to pretend there is.
2 was the only good RE game.
Kill yourself.

That's the survival part of "Survival Horror", you retard. Jumpscares and spoopy atmosphere can do any game, but getting cornered by zombies, when you out of ammo, or carefully traverse corridors, being afraid that Hunters after your ass, is what RE is all about. Sure when you replaying isn't as scary, but so with every other horror game, where you experienced all scares already, the difference is that RE and other survival horror games have value beyond being scary first time and it still entertaining to replay.

Outla- I mean RE7 was a piece of shit no matter how you spin it. A "return to survival horror" never looked so shit.

I always disliked the cheese. In every RE game, maybe with the exception of 4 because Leon got to be a fucking badass because of it.

Thanks

This

Anyone else worried how capcom is gonna fuck REmake 2? Like would they go out of their way to hire Mikami/Kamiya as consultants or just wing it and do what they think is right and turn it into a TPS? I think it might just be best to leave RE2 alone if they can't at least get some of the key members of the original team to work on it instead of stealing ideas from some Brazilians.

Nah, Code Veronica felt a lot more like the earlier Resident Evils than 4. Maybe a little in between, though.

Just say alien isolation you meme loving fuck.

HOLY SHIT HOW BAD THIS GAME AT INVENTORY MANAGEMENT, TO THE POINT WHERE ITS A QUESTION NOT HOW TO SURVIVE, BUT HOW TO FIT SHIT, WHO GAMEPLAY IS BASED ON FUCKING WITH YOUR INVENTORY

???

You must of hated RE0 back in the day then, while you drop shit anywhere you wanted in that game it was more effective to just drop your shit in a save room. Even with 12 item slots you could be packed with shit.

Honestly RE7 makes me wonder how big the first RE would feel it was as seamless as re7. Because damn, the baker house feels tiny in someways.

What?
That was one of the main things in the original 3 games.

Kill yourself you moefag idiot.

Absolutely shit fetishes. SFM should be about short and very polished loops focusing on women, without niggers, bad voice acting, male grunts and a fuckload of half-assed overdone rape animations.

But can it handle the Mansion of Madness?

the japs probably just thought it sounded cool when changing the name from biohazard for western release

Anyone know if a ps3 version of this mod exists?

thats nice but bring back bandana Rebecca

I like how this shit from the early 2000s has better facial animation and character than most AAA games today.

I always thought of it as "a lurking evil", "resident" in that way makes the most sense to me. As you said it's an evil within, it's funnier too given that it takes place mostly inside an old manor, the virus itself isn't exactly new either, the whole thing is planned out and takes effect slowly over a long course, even the zombies themselves are slow (mostly still) "evils". I feel like the word "Resident" in that phrase captures a lot of these things that are represented in the series.

If I had to guess though I'd assume they originally picked it at random because of the licensing issues or whatever in the US.

Deepest lore, you just don't get it.

Post more Rebecca.

He obviously never played any other RE before and just pirated the new game for all the hype.

That was fucking hilarious, what game is that?

Timesplitters: Future Perfect. It the series was made by the guys who made goldeneye 64, and it shows in the first two games, with the floating guns and all. Just recently emulated it on the dolphin, I really enjoyed it.

There will never be anything that fun and funny ever again since AAA sabotaged FreeRadical into closing where Crytek bought everything up where their terrible boss threw it in the vault. I mean if Timesplitters Rewind isn't fucked; didn't think that'd actually get finished.

Huh, never thought I'd feel nostalgic for Zero

Good ass

Is there anything redeeming about 7? I just pirated this shit because I was bored, and so far it feels like a pretty boring movie. I killed that "Daddy" guy in the garage, and "watched" the video of the girlfriend running from the crazy "Mom" I think that's what she'd be called anyways. I looked for the third dog head for about 30 minutes, then I decided to take a break. Is it going to be a consistent formula of: pixel-hunt in area with no or minimal threats -> find massive supply cache -> slow moving human boss fight -> repeat? Also, I hate how I feel so fragile while doing most animations, but I can face tank fucking chainsaws. Why does my character flinch more from a one story fall than he does having his guts churned out? There's something about the gunplay that seems pretty off as well. Am I in the tutorial phase of the game still? Does it get better? Is it worth continuing or should I just accept that I wasted the time for a 15GB download?

Yes, you should probably stop there
Nips need to learn not to give their ips to the west, it almost never goes well

The game franchise is actually named Bio Hazard, but they couldn't release it in the West because of an existing game named Bio-Hazard Battle and a New York metal band named Biohazard. The American trademark system fucked up the naming rights, so they decided to rename it "Resident Evil" to overcome this problem. They called it that because the game takes place in a mansion.

And then they censored the fuck out of it out of worries of backlash, such as a scene of a Cerberus Dog being shot because they were worried about (((PETA))), and shots of corpses and one guy being mauled were censored too.

Sadly no, but MUH DIK!

It's just a cool marketing name for burgers.

So do the female characters always get raped after the game over screens or what

wut? The female characters never get raped.

Okay, I think I'm going to take your advice and stop.
>Nips need to learn not to give their ips to the west, it almost never goes well
Was this one developed in the west? I really didn't look into this game at all apart from seeing a few .webms of stupid shit that fucking car driving boss that does donuts in the garage.

What are we doing on the floor, user-sama?

You haven't seen anything you won't see more of.

I know they at least had the writer from spec ops the line, and where there's smoke there's fire
See Crapcom giving the go ahead for DR4

Nope, Resident Evil 7 was produced and developed in Japan by Japanese developers, not a single white monkey worked on it except perhaps for localization and scripting purposes. It's funny, people assume that "different approach means different developers" but this game was made exclusively by Japanese developers.

The early Resident Evil games always used the midwest of the United States as a setting, it wasn't until Code Veronica and onward that they started using non-US territories. They brought the franchise back to its roots with RE7 by making it a rural hick town.

He wrote the narrative's design, but he didn't write the script. He basically wrote up a draft idea, and then they wrote the actual script.

Ya got something against my family name kid?

You do know that the house was downtrodden and falling apart BEFORE Eveline, right?

you're right, it's not rape if they wanted it

You're fucking retarded.

I just beat Resident Evil 4 and fuck me I don't want to do the bonus shit right now. Will I be missing out on a whole lot if I skip it all?

Resident Evil is the Citizen Kane of videogames

Depends on the version, but you won't be missing anything huge. Few OP guns like the infinite launcher or hand cannon, a few Ada levels that are more of the same mostly on levels you've already played. Still never unlocked the hand cannon, fuck those requirements.
If you're going to beat pro mode, you can get a functional suit of armor for Ashley by beating one of the Ada missions, but it's not in the GCN version.