Why don't consoles like the Switch, the PSP, Vita and the 3DS use USBs instead of SD cards?

Why don't consoles like the Switch, the PSP, Vita and the 3DS use USBs instead of SD cards?
They're much less expensive, there's many more in circulation and they're just easier.

Just make a small port that fits most usb sticks and give it some kind of cover to hide the USB.

Because money.

Because using proprietary locked down (and extremely overpriced) SD cards is a deliberate anti-consumer practice.

>easier than just inserting a card into a slot

this is a retarded solution to a problem that doesn't exist. sd cards are cheap as fuck and no more difficult to use than a usb stick

i think you should delete this thread before meaner people see it. you're clearly too autistic to handle the incoming bullying well

So a USB-c port? :^)

Money for who?
companies aren't producing them and USB sticks are cheaper than SD cards

It wouldn't stick out, it would be like a slot that you cover after sticking it in

Therefore
It's not a hard concept.

Oh I do know, that's why it pisses me off

I thought SanDisk cards were far more open?

USBs have to stick out of what they are plugged into, they have a higher chance of breaking not only from being nudged while sticking out of a device, but the stick's contact points and the USB port's contact points are more likely to wear down then a SD card.

the reason is because usb sticks are bigger and use more power. thus making them a shitty fit for a PORTABLE FUCKING CONSOLE
fuck fucking hell
is everyone in this thread tech illiterate retards still in middle school too busy flicking around shitcunt apps on their mongoloid iPhones with a cracked screen to learn anything

SD cards are a specific type of flash memory card, not a generic term for it
they are not "SanDisk" cards, the Vita does not use a "proprietary SD card" it uses it's own shitty standard, and SD cards are only slightly more expensive than USBs, as they have to perform to certain speed standards unlike the trash you can shove into any USB drive

Better question is why the hell Switch has only 32GB internal memory.
Why does it use new game cards when it could run 3DS games from cartridges with its hardware even if it would be through emulating.
Why it is tablet instead of small handheld to fit in pocket or console with proper specs.
Why station doesn't have disc reader for Wii/WiiU games.
Why it ditched WiiU and 3DS architecture to be backwards compatible.
Why 3DS has such shitty resolution?
Why eshop on it is so shit?
We will never know.

Also because SD cards will be always smaller.

Only because they are larger. They use the same semiconductor memory on the inside.

SD cards are a more efficient use of space.

If you really plan on making use of your weebmachine, you're going to need a 32GB SD card. A 32GB PS Vita SD card is $89. That's nearly half the cost of the Vita itself. Unlike the Vita, however, that 32GB SD card costs Sony like $2 to manufacture, so the mark-up is massive, and that's the idea behind why they do what they do.

It's the same thing with apple trash, where going up one tier in memory is going to run you $100 for what costs them an extra ~$6 tops.

thinking about it a bit more I'm convinced OP is a genius that doesn't understand the simple concept of HAVING A BIG THING STICKING OUT OF A PORTABLE CONSOLE IS BAD because he's actually evolved beyond our understanding of geometry

he's some kind of fucking time lord where the BIG, HUGE, INCONVENIENT USB STICK HANGING OUT OF THE PORTABLE DEVICE LIKE JEROME'S FAT BLACK DICK OUT OF HIS MOM'S ASS can simply be magicked away with some kind of

""cover""

fuck this
fuck it
fuck me
fuck you
fuck off

I don't see why you're bringing this up.
I cannot think of any console that allows you to use an SD card beyond the 3DS and now the Switch.

There are consoles that use shitty cartridges or SD cards only they support, but most consoles support only USBs.

Having a USB sticking out of a console is a bad idea. Sure you can hide it away with a little compartment, but by that logic, you could fit 3 SD card readers in the same space to expand the memory even further.

Since we've now got (un)commercial 1TB SD cards, USB will become obsolete as they are inefficient.

All of those problems are so Nintendo can get you to buy the upgraded version of the console or buy VC games.

Switch couldn't run 3DS games. How would it possibly account for the second screen if the TV and tablet can only be used interchangeably, not at once?
If it were to overlay the info from the bottom screen to the top, it would need to have an individual set of instructions on how to do so, instead of plug and play.

Just limit 3DS virtual console to portable/tabletop mode and play vertically.

Actually, Jerome's black dick would be inside his mother's rear-end, thus allowing for a greater amount of space inside to fit more data. There would be little hanging out of her arse, as she can take it all the way.

see

That just sounds impractical.
Now there's no divider between the two screens so the different layouts of the screen, like the MonHun menu on the bottom, would really jar your eyes as there's nothing breaking it up.

Then you have to use the tiny joycon located underneath the bottom screen (because this would only work in vertical, not landscape), which means you're now holding a controller in your hands and the Switch tablet is stretching up for 8" above your hands.

Sure, you could then just remove the controller and use it wirelessly, but it just doesn't feel as good as when your hands are side by side the screen and you can bring it closer/further away as needed.

How is the 3ds even portable? When it's open it's too fucking big for your pocket.
This is how retarded you sound

user look at my 3TB of portable games.

portable =/= "can fit in your pocket" you cock gobbling faggot. are you saying that an android tablet isn't portable in spite of the fact that it is powered by a portable power source and is capable of being used as-is without any extra peripherals?

moreover,
take off your skinny jeans you lala homo gayboy

A magical bay for USB sticks!

Nigger.

Where the fuck are they going to make room for this shit?

You looked inside any of these consoles? There's no space for fucking anything, let alone a 2 inch plastic stick of variable size and shape because you're too fucking cheap to pay an extra $2 for an SD card.

i should suffer a fuckhuge portable because they had to add a big fucking empty USB bay so poor retards like you can save money on an SD card?

then why fucking bother in the first place? just give me a fucking SD card slot!

Also, USB drives are slower, use fuckmore power, and give off more heat than SD cards. Those tiny USB sticks are designed to dump heat into the USB port, and will overheat in a fucking portable.

so then you're forced to buy better more expensive USB sticks
which is what you're trying to avoid with this retarded idea in the first place

Also, all SD cards have to conform to minimum standards for power use and performance than USBs don't. It's almost like they were designed for portable use huh

OP is a retard, but you sound pretty autismal yourself if it's that easy to bait you into paragraph long replies.

Point to the post where I said that you should use a USB stick.

I'll wait.

You just answered your own question.

Why are you quoting me? I was talking about OP's mum taking BBC to the balls.

Because they're huge?

Oh. My bad. I thought you meant it as a metaphor for why a USB would actually work.

Because USB sticks fucking suck for active portable storage, which is why most people don't fucking use them for that.

pleb

Nigger, have you ever seen USB sticks? Every manufacturer has multiple lines of products each with entirely different housing of all shapes and dimensions. The only thing that's standard about them is the USB port itself. You'd never make a cover that accommodates even 5% of the available sticks. And it would still look like shit.

All microSD cards the exact same form factor, and their near universal adoption into tablets/phones and other devices means that the housing and controllers are dirt cheap to manufacture or outsource.

You are forgetting USB is used for more than storage, good luck getting rid of USB sticks when most devices support USB. SD cards on the other hand are snowflake and you need dedicated hardware to use them. Also easier to lose because they're tiny.

USB whats? :^)

If they built a compartment big enough to house and hide most usb sticks inside it there'd be enough room to power the thing with fucking D batteries, kill two birds with one stone
While we're making it less portable and more expensive, we could even make the screen a CRT for better emulation

It takes up more space

Because it looks retarded and breaks easily, you humongous hipster autist. Jesus.

Commie

Also this

USBs use more power, generate more heat, and have terrible heat dissipation.
you knew that, right user?

Of course not, he is just a contrarian kid trying to stir shit.

Slower? That depends on the version of USB. USB3.0 has a theoretical throughput of 640mbps. USB 2.0 can transmit data at a respectable 480mbps. Both of which exceed the speed of MicroSD cards.

MicroSD cards generally run at under 100mbps, but there are heavyweights that can run at 290mbps.

So, uh? When are we going to talk about Type-C as a cartridge format with enough storage for game updates?

Underrated post

Someone already has posted that USB sticks can literally be the size of your thumbnail and won't stick out.
Not defending OP, but you're fucking cancer.

You have to wonder why someone would get so defensive over better options for the consumer. It's almost like they're trying to rationalise their $600 Switch preorder.

What does the switch have to do with this. If you're implying I was a retard that would preorder a console then you're wrong. Not going to deny that I'm not thinking of getting one since I missed out on Splatoon and didn't want to miss the 2nd one.

I said they, not you. I'm talking about the faggots throwing a fit about an innocuous thread. You dummy.

Aren't USB sticks simply not cut out for constant access/loading and are more of tool for creating backups and shit. You might as well be asking for companies to start supporting floppy disks if you just want inferior tech. Also switch is getting USB support, just not at launch.

ONLY IF THERE WAS SOME OTHER STORAGE FORMAT THAT WAS THE SIZE OF YOUR THUMBNAIL AND IS STANDARDIZED

I have a flash drive and an adapter like that, should i?

it wouldn't work. on top of that, ps/2 only has speeds of up to 64kb/s

As other user said won't work but do it anyway.
For science.

Worst that can happen is you burn the port.
Less worse, you burn the drive.
But 96% chance nothing just happens.
0.01% chance you put a waifu in the pen drive and end up making animu real by crossing the singularity.

That's better chances than winning in a lottery. Gonna do it right now.

Quick everyone, plug your flash drives in PS/2 ports.

you can plug in a vagina to usb so you can have sex with your nintendo they dont want you to do that

WHY THE FUCK WOULD YOU USE A FUCKING USB WHEN SD CARDS EXIST?

As autistic as this post is, it is factually correct.

why not just make companies use SSDs with 250GB or some shit

Not SanDisk, Secure Digital.

Is this fucking thread some kind of meme I missed? Surely you niggers aren't seriously arguing about USB stick memory on portables. Right?

Why stop there? They should use mSATA drives for screaming fast speeds.

I'm afraid that OP is most likely 100% serious, you should know by now that some of the biggest contrarian hipsters in denial with absolutely terrible roam this place and are usually OPs.

*absolutely terrible opinions

USB is way superior than casual sd cards

Would you seriously plug an USB to a phone or handheld?

This is the future of portable gaming.

Hold the phone, does that 90 deg. adapter mean I can stick my 480 in one of'em dell/lenovo small formfactor boxes if I really try?

exactly

I didn't know this shit existed. That's actually pretty neat.

Adapters exist for fucking everything on PC. You just have to search hard enough.

I never searched for it because I never needed something like that but it's still nice to learn it exists.

Fucking this. No matter what pc problem you have, there is always someone who has had it 10 times worse than you and still solved the problem.

mSata is deprecated. Try M.2 or U.2 (or any NVMe/PCI Express compatible storage solution)

physical size. Some of us are autists who play on the train.

Is this a fucking meme or something?

I honestly don't know if that specific example is m or m2 because most of them look the same. I and everyone at work just call m.2SATA mSATA because it's easier.

meant for

Booze is bad

Yes

Yeah, but the cables have to come out from somewhere and you'll need additional support because the board is heavy.

HAHA SONYGGERS BTFO :^)

I hate to invoke it, but it's 2017, and frankly embarrassing that people are thinking this way. We should basically just have the sony system in regards to the PSV, albeit with ordinary SD's and less Jewry, but it will never happen because of the realities of capitalism and greed.

any clue what remix that is?

What the fuck do you think SD cards are?

Roighty-o guvna!
Can your sister fit all of ISIL's micro cocks in her every time she walks down to ASDA?

Ignorance is not the same thing as retardation.

Jeans are for faggots who would rather look "cool" or manly than be comfy.

Wear sweatpants.

SD cards aren't really that expensive.
Though, granted, shit companies make special ones what are overpriced.

Also, the stick sticking out would be a bother.

Go to amazon and do a search for 64Gb flash drives. Pricey compared to the few cents of a bluray.

God I hate Nintendo. They're so terrified of piracy they are making the Switch as fucking shit as possible.

Fixed that for you. If you leave the house in sweatpants except to exercise when it's cold you're either a tool, a nigger, or both. Might as well slip on the crocs and the tanktop you fucking lowlife.

Because SD cards are superior Japanese superiority.

You ok there Alex? I think those pants are a bit too tight on you and are now cutting off circulation. I think the skating has finally done you in.

It's okay if you've worn them for your entire life, but some of us need a little extra room for a certain buddy if you catch my drift. I understand if you don't have much room down there, wearing the tightest pants and all. It wouldn't allow for proper development. You need uncomfortable pants for a person uncomfortable in their skin, It would also explain your abhorrent hostility against the sweatpants master race.
Strongly consider suicide you autistic fuck

Sage for shit, low effort thread.

I mean, it's a shit thread, by all means, but it's one that has been going for a while. What do you think you'll accomplish by 'saging' a single post?
Sage isn't a downvote.

Well then you are retarded