NES/Master System/Old Games

Been playing any old games lately Holla Forums?

Just got done beating Jackal, pretty fucking great shoot 'em up game. Right before I started on that I finished Gimmick! which was brutal and damned satisfying. I still need to get the good ending though, so I'll probably replay that here soon.

I've been working my way through a list of recommended NES games I got from a previous thread a year or two ago. Here it is:

Got any more recommendations?

Other urls found in this thread:

agtp.romhack.net/project.php?id=lagrange
romhacking.net/hacks/1032/
romhacking.net/hacks/369/
emulation.gametechwiki.com/index.php/FCEUX
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Shameful. The ending was weak but it's overall a good game.

Both of the Sunsoft Batman games are some hauntingly gorgeous work.

You should also give Nazo No Murasamejou a try if you want an arcade styled Zelda.

Are there any good games for the NES that still hold up today (as in they don't require nostalgia goggles to enjoy) and aren't arcade-style?

Well, Wurm: Journey to the Center of the Earth has a surprisingly dark story for an NES game (the main gameplay isn't that great). Crystalis I feel is a great alternative to Zelda 1 that also has a pretty in depth story. If you're going to try and enter into NES vidya with that mindset, though, I think you're better off staying away.

Every thread
Summer Carnival '92 - Recca

I've tried to get into NES shit before (was born 3 years after release and grew up with genesis and snes instead), but my problem with "arcade" games is that they feel dated as fuck, since every good one of note has been cloned countless times on better platforms.

Basically what I'm looking for are games where I can't get that specific experience elsewhere.

Wew, that sprite limit is brutal.

Battletoads or bust, OP.

needs chip n dale

NES chart when chart-fag?

Start recommending some gaems, someone will make a chart eventually

Good luck. You have to keep in mind that the system is 34 years old, so any gameplay features with at least a niche group that enjoyed them would have very likely been included in some games since then. The only thing I can think of that the games might offer gameplay wise over modern games is that they have less features if you want a simpler game and view newer games as having too many gimmicky features.

I second this.

My Top 5 not named Little Sampson, Recca or Gimmick:
1. Akumajou Densetsu
2. Nazo No Murasamejou
3. Ninja Gaiden Trilogy
4. MakaiJima (Pirate Ship Higemaru sequel)
5. Journey to Silius

Heard decent things about Crystalis myself. How's the translation quality though, given the time it's from?

If NES/FC threads were more common (or /vr/ here not in "barely alive" status; Holla Forums pretty much having the monopoly on active vidya discussion means most other non-Holla Forums vidya boards are very slow, if not outright dead) I'd probably have it done already. As such, it's been on the backburner for quite a while, and what I've got is still mostly a text list. And at times, high res/quality box art scans aren't easy to find for a system that old.

Considering that it's baby SNK? Surprisingly good by SNK standards. Make of that what you will.

Here's some romhack/translations recommendations:

A Metroid hack featuring gorgeous new graphics, god-tier music and nice level design

A collection of improvement hacks for the original Metroid. Includes save support, minimap, beam stacking, improved animations and tilesets.

Another Mega Man hack pushing the limits of the engine (with new moves such as a Megaman X Styled dash). Not a serious game in the slightest (you fight bosses such as Mario and the Tree boss from Kirby) but fun to play

The Japanese version of Castlevania 3 translated to english, featuring the VCR6 chip with two more sound channels, making the soundtrack even better than it already was.

A hack made by the Romhacking general anons back at halfchan's /vr/. It's a Kirby game in which you cannot float, so every level is made around that, and you must use your powers to get around your limitations.

A Mario game featuring level design inspired by every game in the series, with new additions such as rideable Yoshis and Toad as a playable character

A Sci-fi RPG made by Konami late in the Famicom's lifespan. It's the only game featuring the VCR7 chip, with a god-tier soundtrack (sounds more like a Genesis game), embed related. Translated to english a couple of years ago

A Complete overhaul of the original game, with new graphics and a complete new map. Worth to play just because of the effort put into it.

Every Mega Man game but instead of Rock you play as Roll. A robot loli makes everything better.

Alright, was just curious since the Japanese title seems to be "God Slayer", and given how Nintendo's western branch handled things back then (removing religious aspects, etc), I have to question how much of the plot might have still been present/changed in the western release.

Oh shit, guess I'll be playing some VIDEO GAMES tonight.

agtp.romhack.net/project.php?id=lagrange
Knock yourself out, user!

Does the Genesis counts?
I've been playing a lot of Vectorman on the Genesis. I still can't see how they could add dynamic light on the game, it looks pretty neat for a Genesis game.
Also, I've been playing Fire Emblem Gaiden on the NES considering that Echoes will be released soon. The music is fantastic for a NES game, pretty catchy.

Get on this shit. Now.

Still weird how AG has been silent for like a year and half, or more now. Not real sure if they're even working on any of the 30 or so "active" projects they sit on anymore.

Already playing, too bad there's no manual. I have no idea what I'm doing.

just

Some hacks I forgot about

romhacking.net/hacks/1032/
This hack fixes problems with the cryptic and badly done original official translation for the game, making it more easy to complete without a guide. It also adds a world map and SRAM Save support.

romhacking.net/hacks/369/
Turns Super Mario Bros into an more exploration platformer game. The level design is great and worth a play.

My Orangutan relative. Pic related.

Shatterhand is rad as fuck
Gotta finish it some day.

Some games to add:

I'm so sad that this game isn't possible to play on an Everdrive or Powerpak thanks to the chipset needed for the game being beyond even a modified NES's power.

At the very least I can play it on an emulation Wii on a CRT.

Still waiting for an English translation of the original Metal Max.

Pretty sure that got canned due to Metal Max Returns getting a finished fan translation, but I might be wrong. Bigger question is whether any other entries in the series will ever see translation; only ones in English currently are MMR (via fan translation) and Metal Saga (via Atlus), while MM2 has been in fan translation hell, and there's apparently been zero interest in anyone starting projects for MM3, 4, or Season of Steel (the entries after MM4 for the 3DS have been phone shit; not sure if the series is heading there entirely as of yet or not).

Meanwhile, it's fellow Data East-original JRPG series, Glory of Heracles, now has every main game in English to my knowledge. Makes me wonder a bit just what prompted such a difference in interest from the fan translation community.

hey faglord, i just wanted to say thanks for letting me know about lagrange. i don't keep up with romhacks/patches and have just recently been craving a good simple sci fi RPG and so far this is exactly what i want.

i have a question about retroarch in general if anyone uses it; i am dangerously autistic about my directories and like to keep my folders painstakingly organized. retroarch recognizes some of my directories and roms and doesn't recognize others - but only for the purposes of scanning/adding them to my collection. lagrange is a good example. it'll run but won't add itself to the list, so i have to dig for it every time i want to play it.

Modded Wiis are a Godsend
The only thing I don't like is the lack of good wired controllers for retro stuff. The classic controller is awesome, but the input lag created by the wireless connection really fucks me up while playing platformers.

There are some SNES/Genesis/NES to Gamecube adapters, but those are expensive as fuck.

How's USB Controller Support on Retroarch for the Wii?

From what I can tell, Retroarch recognizes NOINTRO roms, so that must be why it doesn't add Lagrange Point to your collection.

In any case, instead of browsing for the game each time, you could just look up on your history tab on retroarch and load it from there, pic related

Andá a dormir Sebita, estás batiendo cualquiera y ya es tarde

Bueno mamá :(

Yeah, unfortunately the SNES-to-Wii adaptor I was considering looking into got discontinued before I got serious about it. No idea how pricy they are on the aftermarket at this point.

Wish the Gamecube controller's d-pad was better for trying to play older games.

I played through Wario Land, Virtual Boy Wario Land, and Wario Land II in the past week. Been tons of fun; made a thread about it (which apparently fell off the board).
Been a ton of fun. Don't know why I've wasted my time trying to find good new games when I haven't played half of the great old shit that I never got to play when I was a kid.

Gross, you actually enjoy being cucked by Nintendo?

These are retroarch injects, user.
The Sega Genesis Virtual Console for 3DS Doesn't actually exist

Everdrive has some expanded audio support, but you have to rig some bullshit up with the expansion port under the NES

Is the burger NES actually capable of playing VRC6&7 or FDS audio?

at some point, both Fire Emblem 1 and Gaiden got translated.
if you're any measure of a fan of the series, you might have already played 1 as Shadow Dragon or in its abridged form in Mystery of the Emblem (SNES), but Gaiden has never been remade. Give it a play

27 years after its release, StarTropics 1 is still my favorite game ever. The grid-based controls in the dungeons take a little getting used to but once you get it you'll understand that the enemies are built around exploiting them with turning as you slide into place.
The code for the end of chapter 4 is normally found on a feelie that came with the game (a letter that you had to immerse in water). It is 747

Shadowgate and Deja Vu are excellent puzzle-based adventure games. For Deja Vu 2, you'll either need to track down a computer copy or play Deja Vu 1+2 on GBC

Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles. The first one is a decent sidescroller with an overworld map. The second is a port of the Turtles arcade beat'em up, and the third, while not a port, is another arcade beat'em up

River City Ransom. Fucking play it. And when you're done and decide you haven't had enough, look up the Kunio-kun series

You can strike Tower of Druaga from that list. The NES version looks and plays like shit–play the TG16/PCE version instead

share your secrets, user-kun-senpai

Crystalis has honorary first-party status. Nintendo selected it as one of a handful of NES titles they wanted ported to the Gameboy Color. Don't play that version, though. The NES is much better.

Well that's disappointing. There are lots of unique games for the Genesis and SNES that are special and still their own thing, so I was hoping there'd be at least a couple for the NES as well.

Remove King's Quest 5 and play it on PC instead, if you wanna play it at all.

Try maybe Cocoron. It was Japan only but fantranslation patch exists. It's a game where you make your own playable character from given body parts. His mobility, hp and combat capabilities will be dependent on how you built him.

From what the Everdrive website says, nope.

Well Chartfag, we're having some discussion about the NES/Famicom now, get to work!
I love your charts, man. Thanks a lot for your work

I'm not familiar with the Master System library, recommend me some gud gaems to play.

Phantasy Star
Master of Darkness
Alex Kidd

OP here. I'm playing Crystalis and generally enjoying myself. But the music is fucking terrible. Occassionally there's a track that's alright, but most of the time it's atrocious. Is there anyone out there who enjoys this shit?

There also appears to be a need for quite a bit of grinding which sucks cock. All you do is hold down a turbo button and run into enemies. It detracts from the game a bit but overall is expected in this generation.

Shit I should play some Wario Land games, I loved those as a kid. Been a long time since I picked them up. I guess it's time for a playthrough. Good suggestion user.

Fuck I love that game. The basic gameplay was top-tier and it was drenched with personality. You could see how much the devs enjoyed making it.
Always been a big fan, used to play it with a buddy of mine as a kid all the time. Just had a friend over last night to play some old NES multiplayer games like Snow Brothers and Jackal, we had a fucking blast. Next time I'll try to remember RCR. Also thanks for the recommendation to avoid Tower of Druaga's NES release, I'll emulate it on the TG16

I've seen Shatterman recommended a few times, it's definitely on my list.

Fuck yes, thanks man. I love me some good hacks. I'll add these to my list.

Alright anons back to video games. If you think of any more good games let me know, I've got a notepad file I'm building.

Sonic the Hedgehog 2

I really don't understand why did they made a Master System version of Sonic 2. I mean, what's the point?

I've been playing it and I thought it was great.

I set up my master system to play some sonic, alex kidd and castle of illusion

I finally beat COI after failing to many times as a kid
game was tough yo

I used to find alex kidd immensely difficult too, but that was because my shitty version had the reversed controls

If you're looking for new SFC JRPGs to look into, Glory of Heracles IV: Gift from the Gods recently got a finished patch, though Nightcrawler seems to be putting together a 1.1 version with bugfixes. He's also got one more SFC translation project nearing completion: Tenshi No Uta: Shiroki Tsubasa no Inori ("Song of the Angel: Prayer of the White Wings").

Dynamic Designs has also released a base 1.00 English patch for Xak: The Art of the Visual Stage, but from what it sounds like that one also has a v1.01 bugfix update in the works.

Might as well ask here in regards to romhacks: I seem to recall hearing that Castlevania II has not only that retranslation patch to try to make more sense of the game's script/instructions, but also bug fix patches. I don't recall ever hearing if they might work in tandem though; can you use both, or are you stuck having to choose one or the other?

How's StarTropics 2? Just curious since when I see those games brought up, it's mostly just the first one I hear much on.

Glad to hear. Though, I'll admit that lately I've been wondering if they do more harm than good. My way of handling them apparently doesn't provide enough in the way of quality assurance; ideally, I leave it up to fellow anons to decide what should be added or not (for the most part I only handle compiling and layout of the documents myself, as I feel that leaving the games up to a single user's taste fails to be indicative of the board as a whole), and when I post a WIP, screenshots of text lists, or just greentexting what's on the docket to be added in the future, I'd hope to get decent feedback before actually committing a change, or releasing a new version/image. These days it seems most people don't bother with doing so (or at least least doing so enough) in that stage, so when I put something out under the impression that no one's had gripes with what's planned, that's when the complaining spikes, and it becomes my fault that the resulting image has numerous bad games/ports amongst actually good ones, leaving them "disinformation-tier". It's not as if I haven't known from the start that these weren't going to be able to satisfy everyone 100%, but still.

And then there's the issue of whether or not to purge/ban multiplats from system images, even if it results in removal of "must plays" in a system's library, since I prefer consistency to making exceptions (for example, MGS2: Substance, Silent Hill 2, or Fatal Frame II in regards to the PS2's library, as all of those were multiplat eventually).

Where can I get the Mr. Gimmick USA prototype ROM?

Chartfag I've seen anons bashing you because of things like having Samurai Shodown on the SNES chart and such. But I think that's a dumb thing to do. Having a better port doesn't negate the fact that the game is good (or at least they could be more polite about their complaints, they point you as guilty while you're just compiling opinions). I (long ago) uploaded the "Holla Forums's recommendations" Roms to MEGA for the first sharethreads, and I'd love to compile and upload an 8/v/ made list, so please keep up your good work. Some anons can disagree and throw tantrums, but that's ok, every opinion helps making WIPs closer to completion

Related to Castlevania II, I've only seen "improvement" patches for the game, rather than bugfixes.

Sweet Home is fucking masterpiece. You've got to play it. Holds up the best of any 8 bit RPG, and still funner than a lot of modern survival horror games.

Just finished Gradius I, shit's hard even with muh slowdown and save states, but that's to be expected. Now back to beating Final Fantasy I.

Not so fast, user.
Try the second one.

The NES is pretty pointless now. The handful of games you could enjoy without nostalgia goggles have been ported to newer systems and given gameplay/graphic/engine tweaks or overhauls. Not to mention that many of the "must haves" for the console have better later incarnations (Castlevania, Mario, Zelda, Metroid)

Are there any good old or at least retro styled roguelikes with action oriented fights?
Preferably medieval or fantasy oriented like pic related, but ya know, with a better fighting system

Hope you brought a hand bomb, motherfucker.

removal of grid-based movement, for good or or ill, with the addition of diagonal movement
a measure of verticality added to stages
overworld given more prominence and importance. More variety too
island courage is out, time courage is in. note: may include trace amounts of island courage
soundtrack is fucking aces

read the text underneath Ducktales

True, but it seems like half the time I pop into a thread to try to help make something new, or even mention plans for further refining the selection on an image, the thread gets at least partially derailed into debate on whether I should stop for the good of the board or not. And with some of them, like the SNES image, other anons have taken it upon themselves to go ahead and crop stuff out and call it the "real" version, instead of letting me go and do improvements myself. Anyhow, images related are what I've caught from past threads/user suggestions as potential additions for an NES / Famicom image, so if you or others want to add onto or remove from them, feel free. Strikes me that there's a lot more potential for more fan-translated games, but considering how fan-translated games come out years if not decades after the fact, it wouldn't shock me if getting input on the ones that fall into the handful of apparently popular ones proves hard.

Wish I could just upload an rtf as an attached file instead of having to take screencaps every time. Especially as text-only files can be really small (the NES one these screens are from weighs in at 3KB)

My nigger
Nevermind, off yourself.

Play Wario Land 3 pronto, it's too fucking good

Remove Mother 1 since it plays like a shitty prototype of Earthbound.

That Tapir creeps me out, interesting game though.

The SMS was still pretty active at that time in Europe and South America too, I think.

Huh, this was unexpected

Hell yeah mothafuck-
…I'm getting mixed reactions here…

Strange how randomly they decide to dust off Blaster Master.

Why mixed reactions?
If you're thinking about MN9, the problem was with Comcept, not Inti Creates.

Can't be any more strange than when fucking Gaijinworks published a blaster master game on the wii.

Blaster Master is the sort of game that reminds me of why I love video games. I think I'm going to play that after Darkwing Duck.

For some reason, all these years, I never bothered to beat DD so I'm going ahead and doing that now. I've played the game a shit ton because it's a comfy game for me, but never got around to actually completing it. Today's the day.

Playing through it now. After this, I'm doing Wario Land 4, then Wario World, then Wario Land Shake It. I might skip Master of Disguise, because I've heard it's not that good and I don't want to have to do the shitty touch screen emulation through RetroArch.

Overstays its welcome. Wario Land 2 and 4 blow it way the fuck out the water by comparison.

So you're saying that there was Gradius II for the NES?
fug

You couldn't be more wrong. 2 Has some really obtuse shit like ramming every wall to see if its a fake or not and 4 is half a game compared to 3.

2 wasn't that bad for it, except for the branching paths, which were occasionally bullshit to find. 1 was mostly alright, with only a couple of the hidden treasures really being shit to find (the only one that comes immediately to mind is the pictured waterfall level, where there are 3 platforms, and you have to break the block on the top of the 3, and press up, because there's a hidden door. It's the only one I was missing at the end of the game, and it's fucking stupid.

Virtual Boy Wario Land was pretty great in general, but the hidden path bullshit was truly awful. Literally just ramming every wall and pounding every floor tile in some areas to find the hidden treasure. Hidden shit is fun, but pixel hunting is not fun.

/vr/ will never be salvaged. ;_;

Anyway, I have recently made it to World C in the All-Stars version of The Lost Levels. After World 8 the game gets pretty easy.

Just play the superior japanese version.

Only autists crop that shit, plus I've never seen the cropped versions pop up. Even so, its noticeable as fuck when its cropped

or the PAL version for all the people who aren't filthy weebs.

PAL Gimmick! had a fuckton of lives to start with. And the soundtrack had to be reworked because of no Sunsoft soundchip in PAL NES. Ain't no "filthy weeb" about it

Meant to respond to

So why don't you take our feedback and actually fix the charts? Because then you'd have less yelling at you.

This isn't >>>/reddit/

You're fucking right, thank you.
My brother is going to buy a Switch anyway, so at least I'll get to play some good games.

Gotta beat that game someday

Mother 1 is the prequel to earthbound you retarded fuck.

This is the best tank game I ever played. Played it on Polystation with frog prince.

So who had one of these bad boys?

Dragon Warrior >>>> Mother

Be careful, some fag may appear and say "B-but Dragon Quest has a superior port on the SNES, your chart is garbage!"

Best version fags are the worst, it's one thing to try and get people to play the version you think is best, but freaking out at every mention of other versions would be some high level autism but I could see it happening. I personally like the NES versions because they're a bit harder and all around more quaint.

I understand their position, but I think the issue could be solved just by a little note on the chart or a symbol representing the fact that "the game has another version on another console, or it was remade/ported"

By their logic Wild Guns should be removed from the SNES Chart because of the new PS4 remaster.

Which is the best emulator for NES?
I normally use Fceumm or Nestopia cores for Retroarch, but I don't know which one has more features, or strives for better accuracy or compatibility

Also, how's PuNES? I'm on Loonix so I can't test it.

PuNES is the most accurate, however Fceumm and Nestopia run more games and offer more options.

Best Nes emulator is between mapper updated FCEumm or Nestopia UE standalone or retroach versions.

I want to play it on a real NES via flashcart, and it doesn't have the extra sound channels.

coming from a similar perspective, I like Shatterhand.

Nestopia is the best overall. Even though punes has better audio.

Shatterhand rules

I had one of these, cheap as fuck and had a lot of games to play. I remember embed related to always be on these consoles, pretty fucking fun.

on the topic of retro games and rom translations: why is there no translation for Idea no Hi yet? You'd think a quirky SNES RPG with nice character illustrations and great soundtrack that let's you crossdress and wear underwear on your character's head would get some recognition within the English retro game fandom

Underrated

I had this model with darker controllers, and i also had one of those brick game handhelds.

i found an atari 2600 in my folks attic, cleaned and repaired it, and i've been playing demon attack.

I ask the same shit with Bushi Seiryuuden. The game is a salad of different types of gameplays and is less gay than Idea no Hi

Oh fuck long time no see one of these.
Who am i kidding they still sell these fun pieces of shit here

if you have tiny manlet hands like me, the 8bitdo crissaegrim is pretty good. retroarch automatically picks it up, and the d-pad feels great. bluetooth or wired, it just works

I really liked Jackal too. However, I had more fun back in the NES days with Mighty Bomb Jack, Athena, Ninja Kid, and Karnov for action games.

Late response, been feeling sick the last few days. Anyhow, have been reworking the psd file to get it synced with that edit. I'll move the tabs around later.

This is just my own thoughts on the matter, but if the original version of something is good in its own right, I'd say there's reason to include it, especially if one might say there's value in personally seeing where a game/series has gone since its root form.

As far as a representative icon for such a thing, there's only so many symbols on a standard keyboard, unless I delve into alt codes or symbol-based fonts (and if including them in the text space for the game name/genre, that could have its own issues; already weighing reworking the SFC font size on the off chance Glory of Heracles IV is to be added, as the full Japanese title doesn't fit within the current constraints). Making a note of such a thing in the footer is another idea, and one I've used up to now for the SNES image, but I do have to wonder how many people actually read that stuff in comparison to just looking at game names/art.

I know that halfchan had much lower max filesize limitations than we do here, but for various images like that, I find more than a bit odd that the amount of recommended games on them would be so limited (that NES image up there's not the only one like that).

I've wondered myself what has kept various games, like Dark Kingdom SFC (I'd mention Granhistoria as well, but from the sound of things AG might have picked it up a while back, but if they're working with the prior translation attempt, I'm not exactly enthusiastic given what I've read), from having managed to get a fan-translation effort. Perhaps there's some sort of issue in properly ripping the script in order to fully translate them? Maybe people just aren't real aware of it? Or perhaps, in Idea no Hi's case, its predecessor has carried its reputation over to its successor (could have heard wrong, but I remember hearing Maka-Maka was a broken mess of a game)? Just some ideas.

MN9 is literally the only bad game they've ever made.

Yeah, I've been getting into Skyrim lately. It's amazing how nobody here talks about this masterpiece.

Fuck outta this NES/Master System/other pre-gen 5 consoles thread with your "precious" Sky-RIMJOB, Todd Howard.

I have to strongly disagree with you there. I bought one of those and it wasn't very good at all. There are some good points, but more bad than good:

It's really far from great. I'll copy-paste a reply that I made on an old controller thread.

The bad

* The shoulder buttons are segmented very very badly in a way that makes it awkward to use. Using R1 and R2 at the same time is horrible.
* You have to press far too hard to actuate the shoulder buttons
* The D-pad feels nice enough at first, but it feels insensitive to diagonals.
* I can't describe why, but the D-pad feels clumsy. When I use it I don't feel like it's controlling right, even compared to the original NES, and especially when switching from left to right. It doesn't feel like it rocks properly.
* The analog sticks are pretty bad. They have a strong bias toward the axes (ie. you have to press twice as hard to get them to go diagonal as you do to get them to go straight up and down or left and right)
* The sticks require an inordinate amount of force to actuate the buttons given the awkward placements
* The sticks have no dead-zone, but hit full actuation at about 70% of its tilt (effectively meaning there is a 30% dead zone AROUND the stick, except for at the diagonals, where it is considered being fully tilt on both axes. Technically, this means that 70% is inaccurate, as the actuation amount would be 1 / sqrt(2), or about 70.7%). This does mean that the sticks are actually square, in terms of actuation, not truly round. This wouldn't be an issue if the whole outside of this area wasn't a dead-zone for its axis. It makes controlling 3D games awkward, as you can tell that movement is off when you're moving diagonally, but you can't quite put your finger on why it's so weird.
* They can only sync to one thing at a time, and in only one mode at a time, so you have to re-pair the bluetooth every time you might want to use another device
* The bluetooth range is not great. It starts getting patchy at only about 5 feet away, and forget it if the controller doesn't have a line-of-sight to your bluetooth device (luckily, it works in USB mode, so this is a minor gripe in most cases)
* mine came with painfully sharp corners on the d-pad, and I had to file it down with a nail file
* The face buttons feel sharpish on the edges, but it's not too bad

The good:

* The start and select buttons feel nice, as do the other face-buttons, which are comfortable and have great placement.
* The D-pad is passable for the most part.
* The stick placement isn't bad, and they're compact and out of the way, not snagging on anything when stowing the controller in a bag or something.
* The controller stows and fits comfortably in a pocket
* The style of the controller is great
* The size and shape of the controller are perfect, and it fits perfectly in my hands
* The stick design of a rubber top on a plastic stick with plastic edges is actually a great idea, and prevents the rubber on the sticks from wearing off without sacrificing comfort.

All in all, it's a controller that wouldn't be terrible at $15, but even then kind of pushes it. At its actual price, I would just get a Wii U Pro Controller or the like and figure out how to pair that properly.

The NES30 Pro and FC30 pro are mediocre controllers that look fantastic. I really do love their aesthetic, but a controller really needs more than passable face buttons, decent start and select buttons, and a mediocre everything else. To be honest, the worst point for me is the D-pad. If I'm playing 2D platformers, the D-pad is the most important part. I need to be able to rock it hard from side to side, and this controller just doesn't facilitate it.

I wish the controller was as nice to use as it is to look at. I gave it to one of my friends because it was pretty much useless for me.

Anyone have any idea why Retroarch is doing this to all Mega Drive roms I try running? NES, SNES and N64 run fine.

That's just like your opinion man. I love the D-pad and like how far it sticks out. Remember that you can configure the deadzone of the sticks; this was my main problem when trying to use this for PS1/PS2 games. That said I agree that this isn't a good pad for emulating anything past the 16 bit era, but for Master System all the way up to SNES and Genesis it's banging out of control.

just rewind until you get gud

I haven't had any good experience with those emulators outside of niche cases like Castlevania Bloodlines working better than in the Sonic/Sonic 2 3D emulator injects. A hell of a lot of those cores are really badly handled (Virtual Boy Wario Land pulls a whopping 3 FPS and can't even get to the menu) and I'm baffled they're considered the go-to's.

Speaking of Gradius, here's a hack that fixes the badly botched Famicom port of the first game.

Been meaning to go back and play Gimmick! as I fucking love the soundtrack. Jackal is badass, congrats on beating it. You playing on original hardware or emulation?

Seconded for Silus.

Seconded for Crystalis.

Seconded for Shadowgate and Deja Vu, and add Uninvited to that list to complete the trifecta. I'd also recommend TMNT 1 + 2 and River City Ransom.

This. Play the DOS original, not the NES port (same for Wizardry and the rest of the CRPG to NES ports).

Agreed, and Dragon Warrior holds a special place in my heart as my first console RPG.

NESticle, still.

Also, no mention of Faxanadu yet? Come on, Holla Forums!

LP is bretty good so far

TECHNOLOGY

Not like this. There's an extent that actuation doesn't work on the outside of the stick. You can't configure that deadzone away, because it's literally a hardware deadzone.

I hate to be the WORKS ON MY MACHINE :^) guy, but did you ever find out if maybe yours was defective or something? The controller has issues but I never once found the deadzone to be one of them, at least after I did some rudimentary adjustments in PCSX2

Finally nabbed a power base converter, what are some good games?
I heard there was one game that didn't work with it, what am I missing?

I don't know who this Todd Howard guy is, but he sounds like a handsome 6'2" giant

I recently played Faxanadu. Pretty meh. Simon's Quest is better.

Where does Fceux rank in the grand scheme of things.

The stable release is shit: emulation.gametechwiki.com/index.php/FCEUX

Are there 64bit version of PuNES and Nestopia UE? Everything I'm finding is 32bit.

Late as fuck, but my secret is C++

Hey chartfag, can you upload png sources of some of your charts? I want to experiment with JPEG quantization tables generated based on simulations of human perception.

I might have gotten a bad controller, but maybe you should try out your controller settings. Open your controller settings, and move the stick slowly along the X axis. If yours is like mine, it will report 100% actuation when you aren't actually close to the edge, leaving an entire area on that side where it's already at 100% despite having more area to go.

I do actually like the controller, but for the price it's not great (I got mine for 40 fucking US Dollars). You're far better off getting a Super Nintendo pad and a USB adapter or something of the sort. I just use Wii U Pro controllers for everything now, but I have been on the lookout for a better PC gamepad (especially with analog triggers. I've been considering a Dualshock 4, but I hate the stick layout and ugly light).

Nesticle runs at like 25% speed without frameskip on my 486, which is strange, considering that it's 66MHz, and has 32MB of RAM.