Pillars Of Eternity

Is this game any good? I am thinking of picking up an RPG as I haven't played one in a while, and I've heard mixed reviews on this.

Other urls found in this thread:

rpgcodex.net/content.php?id=9867
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

No.

Short answer
Long answer rpgcodex.net/content.php?id=9867

And if you're that piece of shit that's been pushing white march you can go right ahead and fuck yourself.

I like it.

I wanted to like it but it was kind of dull and the world lacked character or charm. It was like a generic fantasy world filled with generic characters trying it's best to be Baldur's Gate 2 but ending up closer to Baldur's Gate 1 by way of Enhanced Edition.

I don't even know who to pity more. (You) for making the same shit thread on a bimonthly basis or me for recognizing it with one glance.

What the fuck are you talking about? I read the review, PoE sounds shit, so I'll probably play League again since nothing else is interesting and MOBAs are easy to burn time on, despite being garbage. If you have an actual recommendation of a game worth my time feel free to give it.

I picked it up because some folk convinced me it was a classic RPG. It's boring, looks like shit, and rather annoyingly hard if you choose the wrong class. The story is okay, I guess. I didn't really much care for it, to say for certain. At the very least, it failed to catch my eye.

The White March expansion is pretty good man

Mediocrity defined.

Might as well post these here.
Hopefully Deadfire is a lot better than the boring campaign of Pillars 1

Nothing is interesting to you because you're a fucking addict
Why would you play another game, put some hours into it, when you can just play a quick match of lol? Why bother trying something different, learning how to play it, when you can just stay in your comfort zone? Why wasting your time on another game when you can just grind for your next champion?
I've seen plenty of faggots like you, it's always the same reasons

This and their recent release of Tyranny. Both have too many words and don't spend enough time pulling you into the world. They go on and on about the characters and the state of the world but you just don't care.

Tides of Numenera came out recently as well but seems some of the backers don't like it.

I have all the champions and have had them for two years. I play League once I'm done with other games, which is quite often since I live the NEET life and burn through other games quickly.

So since there are apparently these other great games I'm missing while playing League, though, do tell me about them. What's a good RTS? The last one I'd even qualify as decent was Dawn Of War, but I'm sure you can name several great titles since then that are worth my time.

How about a good WRPG? Pillars is the first thing that looked entertaining to me in a long time and after reading that review, nope, into the trash it goes. I just read the Torment thread on here and it sounds like an abomination. So what options do I have to get this fix?

I've played most of the good JRPGs, too. Although way more consistent and fun than WRPGs, they do get repetitive and I'm pretty burned out on them right now.

The last good game I played, period, was Ori And The Blind Forest. Tell me, what other games are on that caliber, worth my time?

I've been gaming for over two decades and I've played just about every old game there is, by the way. The industry right now is garbage. There's a reason so many people waste time on shitty MOBAs, because as shit as they are, they're still a superior option to all the other trash in the gaming market.

Purple prose: the game. At least half of the text in this game could be culled without losing anything of value.

I spent 40% of my playtime killing the stupid self-insert backer characters before quitting. None of the classes are fun and the writing didn't seem outstanding

it's not that bad.
it's also not that good.

I liked the art and music.
I hated having to zone 3 times to sleep..

Visually, the game just keeps improving.

Weather the world/story will be any good or weather the mechanics are improved - that remains to be seen

Its pretty meh on its own, but the white march is totally worth the pirate.

Its weird, they clearly understand what went wrong with the first pillars, and want to fix that, but they still made tyranny which I heard still heard has the same purple prose problems.

At the very least Deadfire will be more interesting that the Drywood. Could have wish for better companions though, no dwarves allowed apparently, and the qt grill was/is locked behind a stretch goal.

If you like the type of game yes. If you don't then it's absolute shit on every level.

For me it was the latter. The lore was boring, the writing was full of pointless shit I did not care about with bad characters too. It looks like absolute shit. And the combat is annoying as fuck.

Torrent it and try it.

No.

They pick up Underrail or Age of Decadence.

If he likes IE games he can go and play IE games. PoE have no redeeming qualities. The writing ranges from boring to tumblr trash, the combat was made tedious and aggravating on purpose, the player stronghold serves no purpose and the plot is just retarded.

Australia is Austria after all.

Hopefully, they do improve on everything.
If that happens, then that's good for us, and them too.
Still gonna pirate before buying

Writing will be shit and likely more tumblr-ish and since Sawyer is still in charge the gameplay is gonna be trash.

That's why it's worrying.
We get Pallegina from Sawyer and Carrie Patel who wrote Sagani, party banter and I think Aloth too.
I only really got as far as act 4 on the first game because of Durance and party banter.

The White march had good encounter design, and the higher levels made the game actually fun, but they have tyranny writers on board. It could go either way honestly.

It's sad, because PoE started strong, but then kinda fizzled out. After Act III I just kinda stopped playing.

I guess the entire setting didn't feel as interesting to me, and that is a big factor for RPG - you want to explore the world.

It's hard to put my finger on what exactly was wrong. Something felt off to me. The classes? Balance? NPC's?

I was really disgusted with the way they handled act 2/3. After the trial in Defiance Bay you're forced to go out of the city.
Going back after getting to Twin Elms, I discovered that Defiance Bay was exactly the same as you've entered it. It's as if the riots never happened.
Aloth's quest was very disappointing as well.
Just talking to the doctor about his condition and you're suddenly done. Obsidian might as well not have given Aloth a personal quest if it were like that.

I felt the same way. It felt really dry, there was nothing really to grab on to. It felt really stretched thinned, things like the Stronghold, and the big cities didn't have any depth. Companions fall flat too, Pallegina has no real reason to travel with you, Aloth's heel turn comes out of nowhere and means nothing, and Durance is full of cut content.

Oh, and the gameplay sucked too, or at the very least the encounter design. Just full of combat tunnels clogged with enemies, that don't really do anything interesting outside of ghosts that teleport behind your tanks to fuck your healer and wizard.

A lot of this is fixed in the White march btw.

this. ACt 1 was a pain to get through, but I am familiar enough with Obsidian's work to know that the beginnings of their games are always the worst fuck the loop to New Vegas so when the game started to really open up when I reached Defiance Bay, I was hopeful that I would be able to enjoy the rest of the game. But then everything just fell flat and you could tell that they cut out a lot of shit.

If there is one thing Obsidian is good at, it is making sequels that build off of already existing worlds, so I am cautiously optimistic about Deadfire especially since the White March is objectively good. I know that SJW bullshit will find its way into the game and now that Tim Cain and Chris Avellone are gone, I do worry about what the quality will be like. I'm looking forward to pirating the game when it comes out

The gameplay was about as shit as you'd expect from an RPG of that style, but I liked it regardless
Worth a pirate

What did he mean by this

crpgs generally play like ass
pen and paper RPG mechanics aren't something that work when you try to directly translate it to vidya like that

There's a good reason people like to say that PST is the best written game ever, and not the best game ever

Friendly reminder that Holla Forumse went from pillars of equality and pillars of etrannity to w-white march is good around the last time /vg/ rapefugees leaked in force.

It's a horrible, boring, irredeemably shallow piece of shit and you should be ashamed for wasting time even talking about it.

Which ones?

Like the one I specifically mentioned, and everything that plays similarly

Nobody ever said IE games had good gameplay.

Is this supposed to be a good thing or a bad thing? Because "cut stuff you don't need" is rule zero of editing. Most writers over-write and then cut.

No, but I said it had bad gameplay, literally specifying that it would be as you'd expect, I wasn't arguing with someone or replying to anyone
What the fuck was the point of this line of questioning, you goddamn mongoloid?

tried underrail or age of decadence?
as for rts i will always recomend 0ad

Also get off your ass and get work. Work makes free

Basically that, It's nothing revolutionary, but if you like that kind of RPG and is willing to spend some hours, then go for it.

If only that were true. Editors and publishers do encourage authors to fatten their books up as it makes the book seem more valuable, kinda like how vidya developers pad the game out so they can plaster "100 hour main campaign!" on the box.

until their next broken piece of shit comes out. Jesus fuck, not only do you play MOBAs you play the shittiest moba on the market. Just stick to the overwatch thread and just indulge your shit tastes.

it's an 7/10 game, solid, nothing special if not for the fact that almost all games nowadays are absolute shit

Tim Cain's gone?
Isn't he working on some secret project at Obsidian?

All the information I can find is that Cain is still at Obsidian doing something with the guy who made Arcanum.

The "rpgs have bad gameplay by default" point.

No, I said RPGs like this
Then you asked me to clarify, which I did, and then you fucking agreed with me

I've seen lots of retards not able to read the posts they reply to, but very few are so stupid that they can't even read their own

Rude!

I swear to god Holla Forums has been in stasis for over a year now starting around the time this game came out.

No, it was only popular because there's been nothing else of note in the sub-genre for over a decade. It's completely bland from a mechanical point of view (no build variety for a start), the writing is boring at best and pretentious at worst and it has blatant SJW pandering to boot. Oh and backers got to write self-insert NPCs up to and including mary-sue lesbian witches, thankfully they can be completely ignored, murdered or better yet disabled with a mod but they should never have been there in the first place.

At the time I thought it was ok, but I quit somewhere near the end because I was just sick of all the reading and didn't care that much about the story anymore

I completed this and Divinity Original Sin about a year ago, I think DoS was the better game of this style.

I had PoE after a long time with all the expansions.

Party members were… Garbage not a single fuckable one Durance is cool though. System was garbage Sawyer is out of his depth his idea of balancing is nerfing a class each time someone learns to use it.

Currently the best classes are the ones that were worst on launch you can solo max difficulty with Ranger or Pala. Cypher is very good with guns 1 shot and then you can use your best spell was very OP mages required castings but the Cypher has mp built up through attacks.

The Expansion is rubbish I regret you could not sacrifice multiple companions to the pool as they would be better as stats.