Falcom Thread

NIHON FALCOM (Ys, Trails, Gurumin, Xanadu, Brandish, etc) thread

Don't forget to support their games and spoiler the spoilers!

-Trails of Cold Steel 3 is on track for a Japan release in Fall 2017, confirmed PS4 exclusive.
-Trails in the Sky the 3rd translation is complete with editing 60 % through. Spring 2017 Western release still hopeful. Update on March the 10th.
-Zero no Kiseki fan translation has entered the editing phase. This is for both the PSP and PC port. The translator is currently working on Ao no Kiseki.
-The PS4 version of Ys VIII also planned for release by Fall 2017, localized by NISA. If you wish to complain, do so to Falcom, not XSeed(they're upset about it too), and do so with good Japanese grammar.
-Ys Origin for Vita delayed to May 30/31, 2017. Only NA get PS4/Vita version, while all territories get PC version.
-Tokyo Xanadu coming to the west in 2017 from Aksys Games. The Vita version will be vanilla, and coming "mid 2017", while the PS4/PC version will be ex+, coming "late 2017".
- XSEED preparing 7 games for PC steamdb.info/sub/13578/apps/
- Most games published by XSEED now to be developed with a PC release in mind gamesindustry.biz/articles/2016-09-09-no-fan-left-behind (end of the 9th paragraph)

pastebin.com/G2mswYCt

Don't forget to support their games!

Other urls found in this thread:

xseedgames.com/forum/index.php?threads/trails-of-cold-steel-i-ii.28153/page-81#post-933702
archive.fo/IHRwr
mobile.twitter.com/XSEEDGames/status/824018872613289985
gematsu.com/2017/03/legend-heroes-trails-cold-steel-iii-introduces-prologue-first-characters
twitter.com/XSEEDGames/status/839608171534569472
twitter.com/XSEEDGames/status/839655889564946432
blog.us.playstation.com/2017/03/09/ys-viii-an-rpg-with-a-legacy-of-fast-combat-and-great-music/
twitter.com/XSEEDGames/status/840252619310292992
dengekionline.com/elem/000/001/484/1484646/
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

NO BECKY, NO BUY.

You had one job OP

Wee bam

As much as I love Becky, she's either going to be fucking Hugo or heartbroken because Hugo is putting his Jew powers above her.

Am I remembering things wrong, or was Becky the only person in her town that talked like that? Even her family talked normally IIRC.

Nope, her father spoke like that.

Her father and brother also talked like that. I think her mom had a normal accent. I can't tell if she had lines explaining why they had accents, but she does. It was probably Kansai or something in Japanese.

Trails of Steeled Cold?

Yeah, my head's still reeling because I accidentally took too much medicine.

Her dad and brother also speak like that. Mother has a normal accent.

Most likely. If it was, I'm glad they went with this and not a southern drawl like every other dub/loc.

I just realized something. Rean went to Thors because he wanted to join the military. He wanted to join the military because he had a low sense of self-worth and wanted to do something the wouldn't make him a burden to others. He wanted to be useful.

By the end of CS2, he's done it. He's a war hero and one of the most important and powerful members of the Erebonian military. Annexing Crossbell and defending it from Calvary wouldn't have gone nearly as smoothly without him and Valimar.

He gets what he wanted, and look at him now. How sad.

Even his belt count has increased.

It's the price he paid for being a full pawn in Osbourne's scheme.

Aye Becky is Wozniak and Hugo is Jobs.

Also if you want a good analysis of how Rean was basically completely and utterly crushed mentally by CS1 and CS2, I'd suggest reading this character analysis on the XSeed forums. It does a pretty good job of unpacking Rean's character, that most people brush off too easily as generic because they don't look under the hood:

xseedgames.com/forum/index.php?threads/trails-of-cold-steel-i-ii.28153/page-81#post-933702

Yeah but Rean didn't do any of that himself and he knows it. Rean is a pawn being manipulated by his daddy, Ouroboros, the Church and who knows what else.

Don't buy NISA products.

Hot damn that was a good read even though I already knew most of the stuff he had to be going through anyway. As a protagonist I like Rean and a really do want to see where 3 takes him and if he manages to come to terms with everything that has happened and move on. Or, hell, maybe it'll be a first and Falcom writes him so broken he doesn't feel like he deserves redemption. Even in the face of his beloved. Kind of like a what if scenario if Estelle didn't manage to pull Joshua out of the darkness he felt.

Damn, that was a great analysis. So many people think he's bland or just never learns, but they don't understand that that's part of the tragedy. He also doesn't talk about it all the time nor does he go into long soliloquies about why he feels that way, which I assume is why it's gone over people's heads. They're too used to getting spoonfed.

I both would and wouldn't be surprised if he became the new Bladelord in CS3, even if only temporarily. I doubt Falcom would go that far though, they've been seriously holding back their punches since SC's Hamel and The 3rd's Renne backstory. At least as far as Cold Steel goes, can't speak for the Crossbell games.

The Crossbell games have the DG Cult, which is tied to Renne's backstory, so that gets pretty dark too.

Cold Steel is easily the lightest so far.

I wish they'd stop holding back so much. They know how to pack a punch. They know how to make a menacing villain. Duke Albarea and Duke Cayenne were pretty weak characters. And despite being about Class VII learning just how bad war is and how difficult the situation surrounding it can be, but outside of Celdic and Crow's death, it never seems like they really get it. They have it pretty easy, and there's clearly a more villainous side in the Faction war, which I hope CS3 deconstructs with Osbourne back in charge. Though he'll probably be redeemed once we learn what about Hamel changed him.

What's Ys 7 and Memories like?

No jumps

How bad will it be localized?

Seriously?

No it's not but considering nobody else is even remotely interested in publishing these games in the West and there's no dual audio you take what you can get.

Besides Nintendo has no excuses not to include dual audio, they actually CAN if they wanted to. Xseed has no power over Falcom.

Higher res versions of new screenshots.

I'm taking bets that blonde hotshot is either going to betray the squad or he's going to royally fuck something up due to his hubris.

Was referring to the accented English not dual audio.

Could he be…

Blondie's hair is too spiky and the color of the hair in that picture looks white. I still want to believe it's Rean at the end of the game when he turns heel and becomes an Ouroboros member. The gun in the left hand throws me, though Meaning it's probably Crow.

Fun fact, Rean DID use a gun in earlier versions of Cold Steel. But it's still probably Crow or someone else.

of course. I do find it interesting though. Maybe because of how distraught he is of being played like a damn fiddle he throws away the 8L1B style and chooses to pick up orbal gun training?

How bizarre.

I could see him doing that as a tribute to Crow as he knew him.

>tfw it's actually prototype Rean
>prototype Rean was the first child soldier Osbourne created modeled after the son he abandoned
>tfw his move set is CS1 Crow's
>tfw he pilots Ordine

Funny thing is, at least in the most recent Dragon Quest games they're FILLED with puns, in Japanese. As much as it hurts to say, modern-day Dragon Quest localizations are fairly true to the source.

t. someone who played through DQVII 3DS in Japanese

Huh, still odd that no one else in that town talked like that.

Becky is tolerated because she's a somewhat minor NPC whereas the Dragon Quest games had tons of hugely important characters talk with a variety of different accents that were all hard to understand unless you were already familiar with them. That and everyone knows that Falcom generals are actually XSEED generals. This isn't a secret.

I'm pretty sure no one else talks that way because her family moved to Celdic or the father came to Celdic just for the market then met Becky's mother.

It's not like half of XSEED's Ys localisations weren't terrible or anything like that anyway.

Becky speaks with a kansai dialect. 90% of the draw of that character is her accent, so what XSEED did with her is completely fine.

Can somebody please list me the difference between TX and TXex?
I've played the demo of the latter, and as usual, I get the feeling that Falcon games really work better on a handheld.

More story/side-story content and a new epilogue. With 60fps and rebalanced difficulty.

Thanks, so basically there's no real loss when picking the Vita version over the PS4's.

Except it being the very superior version

Also it's coming to PC

I'm guessing the 3 girls in pic #2 are judging Rean in their own unique way.

I imagine he gave Pinky a head pat, Altina accused him of perving on his student, and Green hair is trying to calm everyone down.

At least XSEED doesn't shit on your plate and call it "spice"
archive.fo/IHRwr

I asked this in the last thread and never saw a response. After watching gameplay videos of Tokyo Xanadu, it looks like it plays similarly to the .hack series. Can anyone comment on whether or not this is true?

Everything fucking wrong about localization in one paragraph. These people have their heads so far up their own ass.

That reminds me of that guy on Holla Forums who said Indiana Jones isn't a trilogy, specifically the whole "signature spice" bit.

Why? Why do this? It's unnecessary.

And this mindset is what's wrong with many localizers. They fancy themselves writers and try to take another writer's creative work and treat it like their plaything. A localizer's job is to translate intent, not change content on a whim.

I notice Rean in the main battle party in the first image, at least. So that's nice.

I guess it means he takes a more active role in the field studies. I guess his level reset is going to be explained as him holding back. Either that or shit got real so he took point.

We still don't have confirmation they are field studies. We don't know exactly what is going on. The girl does have"Crossbell police" tonfas.

But the Emblem on the jackets is Thors, right? Or is it simply Erebonia in general?

I don't know if I could've handled Ordine's sensual voice the entire game

Yeah, instead they have Tom to add a freaking Family Guy reference in Celceta and other stupid memes or cringeworthy shit that have no place in Ys ("Hold onto your butter, cause it's time to churn!" in Ys Seven has to be one of the worst things Wyrdwad has come up with yet). And let's not even talk about the deals with Deuce or the disaster that was FC's PSP script, because I get all ill just thinking about it.

And that guy also says

But yes, I'm sure Ys VIII would have a much better localisation with XSEED, provided that Varion worked on it and stopped Wyrdwad's memes/Working Designs-esque jokes.

I will definetly say say that seeing Maneater in the first 15 line of Ys Chronicles was fucking jarring.

Xseed isn't perfect but what I like about them is that they actually give a shit. It is always a plus when the translator has a connection to the shit that he's doing. Not just another paycheck.

Compare that with NoA who actively despises Japanese games and turns everything into normalfag memes. Or just "…………"

Its a blue Thors emblem. My hypothesis is that its a Crossbell branch of Thors established by Osbourne/Rufus

Even if you take Tom's fuck ups and handful of jarring references, XSEED still doesn't reach anywhere near the levels of shit NISA's scripts hit. Until XSEED has an Esty Dee or Rhapsody DS moment they're fucking saints compared to NISA.
I don't care if you hate them, just don't even consider them anywhere close to what NISA does. Nothing is as bad as them, it's an insult to even consider NISA a localization team.

The team that handled Yakuza 5 and 0 is the best localization team in the industry right now.

What is this? Ys: Musou edition?

is the ps4 one worth getting if you didnt play ysvii before? is it remastered or a remake? should i just get it on psp?

i already own a ps4.

I'll be honest i'm glad Xseed lost the franchise if the price for having a meme free translation is waiting for a 2018 release and getting forced English dub only i'll pass.
That said i'd prefer it didn't go to NISA, but i'm not as bothered by it as some people, i'll just take a cautious approach and see what people say about it after launch before buying. For whatever reason the games NISA royally fuck up on seems to be their own parent companies IP's, when they work on other peoples stuff it tends to at least be passable, plus it's Ys there really isn't anything to censor.

In terms of adding cringeworthy shit, Wyrdwad is definitely NISA-tier. He's a firm believer of Working Designs' localisation style and it shows. Luckily he (in theory) stopped doing that ever since working on Brandish: The Dark Revenant.

I have more of a problem with how they (due to Wyrdwad's suggestion) bought the fan-translations of a dude who doesn't actually know Japanese and needs WWWJDIC for every string. He also nope'd hard at the Ys Origin's fan-translation, but thankfully the XSEED release got a check from Wyrdwad and he fixed it up at least.

I'd say Ys Seven was pretty much NISA level, but someone else translated it and he doesn't work at/for XSEED anymore. It was just missing some bugs introduced in the localisation. Felghana's localisation (at least in the PSP version, don't remember about the PC version but IIRC it got some text changes) is really badly written, making the story come across worse than it is.

I never said that and have bought every single Falcom release from them. I'm only saying that it's funny to see everyone mad about this when XSEED also did a terrible job with half of their Ys releases. Learn to read and stop adding words I never wrote in my posts.

Also, notice how I said "half" of their Ys releases. Origin, Celceta and Napishtim had great localisations.

I'd rather have a good localisation than dual/Japanese audio, therefore I wish XSEED didn't lose the opportunity to do Ys VIII.

Regardless, whoever brings the game has nothing to do with all that. Falcom reached into the grisly underworld of JP VA contracts and changed their tune for their most recent releases (i.e. Tokyo Xanadu and Ys VIII). Kondo got asked the question by every Western interview I remember, and fan feedback probably helped a lot.

At any rate, fans will be able to fix the PC version.

Dual audio was never Xseed or indeed NISA to deal with. That's all on Falcom and their contracts. Xseed never purposefullly scrubbed the Japanese track, they were never given the option.

Honestly in a perfect world Falcom would do their world wide publishing and localisation in-house bypassing the middle men but that's not likely to ever happen.

To each their own, in a perfect world we'd be able to just have both. For me personally though a mediocre translation usually doesn't hamper my enjoyment (unless we're talking FE Fates tier) whereas I can only hear Laura Bailey play Laura Bailey so many times before it starts getting under my skin and I turn the voices off altogether.

Yeah I've been hearing this for years, but recent events have made me question it to some extent. For example look at the latest EDF game which has nothing to do with Falcom, the PC version published by D3 has dual audio whereas the PS4 version was handled by XSEED and is English dub only, does anyone have an explanation for that?

Ys 7/Celceta pc when
Fucking hell my autism won't let me play 8 unless I've played those two first.

You can just play the fan-translated, Chinese, PC version of Celceta. And 7 is on PSP, which means it shouldn't be too hard to emulate.

Wait, 7 is on the PSP? Not the Vita?
I'm an idiot. Thank you user.

I was wondering why a seemingly random npc would get a head icon, it seems like the loli will be important for the story even if she doesn't seem like party material

Goddamn retard

But after Trails in the sky I'm no longer so sad about this.

She's mostly someone for Tita to socialize with who isn't Agate. More of a character development tool than anything else. I wouldn't get too excited for loli shenanigans.

What the fuck, she has scythe?

She's a party member in 3rd.

Ignore that. She doesn't get it 'tip much later.

Get out now unless you want hardcore spoilers.

NOW

She's Ouroboros and pretty much you are retarded

She got Schneider'd.

1. Was there ever any actual proof he did that?

2. Why do you have more than one picture of Dan Schneider?

1. Do memes count as proof?

2. Dirty Dan 1 is a screen cap.

Okay, i think it would be best for me to leave the thread now.

Halfchan get the fuck out of my Falcom thread

Yeah, we're very inconsistent on spoilers. I learned hard not to come here until I finished all 4 western Trails. It's why I'm leaving come August.

Finally beat CS II. Why did they make you suffer a whole other tower dungeon and a boss which quite literally states that fighting it has no meaning? Not to mention it's the same boss as the previous game but 50% more bullshit. At least it only took me FIVE fucking tries. And I totally didn't cry too or anything.

Pretty sure he's the guy they talk about in An Open Secret the actual documentary about pedophiles and Hollywood

It was to cement the idea that Class VII was finished and that they could finally move on. Except for Rean, for obvious reasons I cried too, though they were totally manly.

**It was Class VII's last hurrah, before they all left to work on their dreams and futures and Rean was left behind to attend his second year at Thors as a member of Class I or II. It's the last time all of those people would be gathered together for at least… one and a half years… Stupid Ao ending.

God fucking SHITGOBBLER.

I fucking jinxed myself.

What's the issue with NISA and Ys VIII?

They're going to destroy the localization and possibly the game itself.

Well, I don't like any of that. How hard is it to just get a word for word translation of the game? Isn't it easier than rewriting the entire script?

This shit's always befuddled me. How do you fuck up this badly when your job is just to exchange text and the occasional art asset?

I don't know shit about programming, but it can't be that easy to fuck up.

No, because if they rewrote the entire script they don't have the ability to tell retards "We translated as accurately as we could, this was just something small that was AWFUL in it's original form and it isn't important/means nothing overall and anybody who disagrees is clearly wrong/purist/sexist/pedo (in that order) and they aren't our target market anyway." completely ignoring that the original plot had those things because their original target market market is people who enjoy things that they (NISA) apparently do not.

Decent tier programmers don't get hired to do localization work that pays pennies. They do their own shit/get paid 100k+ to maintain 30 year old systems because "muh compatibility". What localization companies get are people who just barely got a degree with a 2.5 GPA and need a job and think "Well, at least I'll still do programming stuff." and when you're completely retarded it is very easy to fuck up how games call assets or display text.

Because trying to do that for the Japanese language doesn't work.

It actually is. You'd be surprised how easily one little change can completely fuck your code up. Fixing one thing could break another.

Of course, with QA and care, these things can be fixed. Obviously, NISA doesn't care about that shit when there's money to be made.

mobile.twitter.com/XSEEDGames/status/824018872613289985

That's incorrect. I apologize. In many cases this doesn't work. There are somethings that make sense to Japs in their language that don't register in our's or don't translate. That's the point of localizers, translating intent. Some localizers these days allow their egos to rule and disregard intent, replacing it with whatever they think is better, which is quite sad. Sadly, making people understand how this can be disrespectful is quite difficult.

Just goes to show what I know about programming, I guess.
And that NISA lacks any sort of QA to account for such things.

Tell me about Gurumin. I'm sure one of you played it.

Yeah, just play 7 on PPSSPP and there' a Chinese version of Celceta that has a patch to use the English translation.

For Celceta, make sure you save often, as I had some crashing problems after a few hours of playing.

It's alright.

It's worth $15. It's a 8 or so hour 3D platform/puzzle game. You can unlock stuff and play for high scores if you're in to that.

You can look up her skirt.

Why didn't you protect her smile?

Because I couldn't

Good point.

All the actual GOOD programmers and translators work at Google or the State department doing important work. Nisa gets the idiots and registered sex offenders.

Tell me more.

S'cool but it isn't really that memorable of a game. Most of what I remember is me spamming that 360 square command attack that gave you Iframes and hit for truckloads.

Pretty sure it's already confirmed to have dual audio.

I'm really crossing my fingers and toes that NISA doesn't fuck up the localization.

If they don't fuck up the localization and have bad VA, that's fine, it's dual audio.

If they do fuck up the localization I'll probably just kill myself.

that'd certainly be nice, but who's to say they won't fuck up the english subs anyway?

At least I've yet to actually really get into any Ys games, so if Ys VIII flops I have all 8 games to still play

They will.

Learn Jap and import it.
Or hell, just import it. I'm sure someone will be able to help you know what's going on.
If you must play NISA's version, buy the game used.
Don't give NISA money.

Forgot to quote

I think I'll probably get it used in that case.

Learning jap is coming along, but super, super slowly. And I'm like fucking Yui when it comes to absorbing information. I tend to forget shit really easily.

Compare.

And contrast.

I really like McBurn's English VA.

That's Max Mittelman. He also voiced Lechter, which is apparently his normal voice. Getting reads as McBurn was a little more troublesome, according to I think a Q&A XSeed did a lot no while back. It may have been the same one where they said Ed Bosco(Machias) had the hardest time, but I can't recall.

I already played in it Jap. Figuring out what to do isn't too hard.

Considering how many of these names aren't all that big (never even heard of half of them), I really liked the english cast. Seriously, I can't even hate fucking Burch's performance in this game (and there is PLENTY of reason to hate her).

If its anything like Tokyo Xanadu, figuring out how to play is pretty intuitive, once you get over the O/X button difference.

I agree, especially with how much they improved in CS2.

A good director can pull a good performance out of just about anyone. A bad director can lead even the most talented actor to ruin.

And speaking of Tokyo Xanadu, that's not getting dubbed, right?

… So we're not going to get to hear the *english* adorableness of a (/n alternate universe) Towa reprisal? Seriously, she was one of my favorites to listen to, especially in Captain mode.

I think the English dub in Cold Steel works especially BECAUSE they're not famous actors. I've never heard any of those voices before.

I really hate games that have budgets to hire big Hollywood movie/tv stars. It's rarely worth the money.

I only really ever had problems with Alisa and Claire's voices, to be honest. They both sounded rather uninspired.

Sub-only. I was at least hoping for Dual Audio, but oh well. I just like having different interpretations of the same things, which is why I kind of miss the days when songs were dubbed as well.

Name's Megan Taylor Harvey, if you're interested.

I agree, it's always refreshing to hear voices you don't recognize. I swear for the first few hours I thought Rean was Yuri Lowenthal, though.

I agree on Alisa, something about her tone just strikes my ears as wrong, but I like Claire. I also prefer the deeper voice compared to the Japanese.

Dub Claire was alright so long as she wasn't raising her voice. Such as finding a chest in the field or during a special attack where you cry out its name.

"Piiip!" *item*
Though I thought that little bit was the worst of it. I can definitely see your point with Claire. Had some good moments, but also some where you just know it wasn't the right sort of attitude to be voicing.

Please tell me the newer Ys games has adol or a party member playing like him, dashing around at the speed of sound and never getting hit.

Also I just beat Dalles as Toal's younger brother, Carpal Tunnel Fact, without using the revive item. Does that mean I've gotten gud or it just means Hugo's overpowered, because none of the bosses even remotely challenged his abilities, not even the Toal fight in The Guilty Fire.
I'm curious about Origin's canon though. From the opening I can tell Toal's is the canon story, but does that mean Yunicah was always a giant fuckup that never grew up? Or am I jumping the gun and she grows up by the end of the story

Fair. Speaking of raised voices, what in the devil was wrong with Crow in CS2? His lines were so quiet, and I don't know if they were poor delivery, poor sound mixing, or both. Then there's just his tone, which was mostly flat reading. Rufus had the same issues at times, and they're the only two I remember with them.

So you guys think Rean had to argue with Altina to start wearing a more sensible outfit in public?

Rean looks like he could increase his harem 10 fold.

The numerous belts are always a sign of a harem master.

I'll be extremely disappointed if Sara is flustered when she meets him.

His hair isn't white as his jacket, so I don't see her being too impressed.

But he can literally do that any time he wants to!

Should I buy the new Ys VIII?

If you don't have any other games to play.

If you don't mind NISA's dick in your ass.

Well, since you put it that way, I'm not going to buy it.

Check this guy out, too good for having a dick up his ass.

YES PLEASE

Someone has to upload it to a torrent site and I don't want to spend the money. Do it for her.

Falcom's twitter posted this pic of, I assume, Altina with some Jap speak of something happening on the 9th which I assume is just going to be them showing who the character is.

At first glance I thought it was Vita, but it could be Altina, maybe even Millium.

I am 99% sure that's Altina. Just look at her in this picture:

>Do it for Lightning
NO

Aksys confirms Tokyo Xanadu on PSVita will launch on June 30th. They are still saying ex+ is launching Q4 PS4/PC but Amazon has ex+ listed for release on November 24th.

How about you fuck yourself

That's Altina, but the text is unrelated. 3/9 is Falcom's anniversary.

So whats this mission supposed to be in the game? An optional TD?
Adol's moveset looks so fucking good

Yeah it's when enemies attack your settlement.

New Info:

Rean is indeed a teacher. He is a teacher of a new branch of Thors in Reaves, a suburb city to the west of the capital, to contrast with Trista to the east. The original Thors became a full on military academy when Cedric enrolled and most of the original teachers and curriculum were forced out. The headmaster of the new school Rean teaches for is Aurelia LeGuin.

The Reaves branch school of Thors seems to be a place where noble rejects, foreigners, and otherwise people who didn't make the cut for Osborne's ideals are sent. Rean started teaching there because he didn't want to be used by Osborne and the army anymore, especially after the annexation of North Ambria due to something called "The Northern War" which Rean was involved in. The creators hinted North Ambria was part of Osborne's plans.

Rean keeps in touch with his old classmates and does his best for his students, but he is slowly losing control of his Ogre power. He and Patrick have become closer friends since the other members of class vii left early.

Tonfa Girl is Yuna Crawford, a Crossbell native who wanted to join the SSS, but the annexation of Crossbell prevented that from happening since the SSS is now gone. An acquaintance, likely Olivert or Lloyd, pointed her in Rean's direction. She is highly sensitive about the subject of Crossbell and uses gun tonfas.

Blue Haired boy is Kurt Vander, Mueller's little brother. Though originally looking forward to sharing the same duty of royal bodyguard as his brother, Osbourne removed the Vanders as the protectors of the royal family. He is arrogant and bitter and resents Rean as a teacher because he's never heard of him or his swordsmanship before.

Altina is Rean's partner and intelligence division contact. It's implied she's becoming more emotional and it's also implied that part of her job is to keep an eye on Rean for Osbourne.

You're taking that off of the 2ch "leaks" aren't you?

I've seen google translate fuck up and use Reaves instead of Rean. Also, the Thor's emblem for this is Blue instead of Red despite all of Erebonia having the Red emblem emblazoned on their important spots. I'm doubting they'd change the color to Blue.
They spent all last game building hype for Bardias and LeGuin to have them dick around with the tanks at the end of the game then they fucked off. Now LeGuin is a headmaster. That doesn't seem right.
Considering the conditions in North Ambria I seriously doubt there is any gain for Osbourne to take it unless he's just taking it for their exports or to gain more jaegers to join the army.
Unless this Vander has been living under a rock the entire time, I doubt he doesn't know who Rean is or about his skills with the 8L1B. Also, he'd have to be another bastard child or another adoption to be Mueller's brother considering they look nothing alike. There is a high possibility that he was adopted, though which seems to be Falcom's out for a lot of characters.

I'm not saying some of this can't be true, but I'm severely skeptical about most of the information given. Sage for double post.

Given the piece of Tonfa's name we saw in the art book promo, I'd say these leaks are likely legit.

Like I said, some of the information can be true. Through what we know and have seen. Most of it though Im calling bullshit until the game is out

You mean the article? Because the magazine this info came from is going to be out in stores soon. Obviously the pictures in it are real. I'm betting the info is too, but you can wait for someone to scan the magazine I guess.

Why? There's no rule that says everyone who is related has to have the same hair.

Have they ever done that before? To my knowledge no. Generally, related by blood characters have the same or close to the same hair color. Not dark brown to flamboyantly bright blue

Off the top of my head I can't think of any. Characters are generally grouped by hair color, all of Estelle's biological family is brunette, all of the Erebonian royals are blonds, even Millium and Altina have the same color hair.
I expected him to be Clair's brother, honestly.

Just realized: Rean and Osbourne. Rean's hair is black, Osbourne's is brown.

And Osbourne also has the white streaks in his hair

That's because he's a vampire.

I wonder what those portraits are for. They kind of look like text box portraits but those were abolished in the move to 3D. It doesn't look like they're in the pause menu though, unless they radically changed the pause menu.

cut ins.

Millium and Altina have different colored hair but I attribute that to them not exactly being like everyone else and them being "sisters" is just in name only.

I'd say black and brown are similar enough, to me. I have brown hair but it's only under certain light that it actually looks brown and not black. Besides, Rean and Osbourne's hair aren't as drastic of a change as Mueller and Kurt and considering even Zechs has brown hair there is a theme.

The top portraits are probably when you're looking at them in menu and the lower ones are cut ins for overdrive attacks/assist attacks.

That's right, Millium's hair is actually blue/teal. For some reason I thought it was silver.

Top are battle/menu. Bottom are likely cut ins, as you say.

gematsu.com/2017/03/legend-heroes-trails-cold-steel-iii-introduces-prologue-first-characters

Rean's a teacher at another branch of Thors, (Called Thors II Reaves Branch) apparently. And the Headmaster is the former noble alliance commander-in-chief (is that Le Guin?).

Rean's ogre power is gradually becoming stronger and harder to control.

The blue-haired kid is apparently a Vander. Kurt Vander.

Kondo says that Rean is a Master of 8 Leaves by this time, too.

How about you NEVER PLAYED THE GAME.

And that wouldn't warp the barrels and make the guns inoperable how?

That Gematsu thing is something we'vee been talking about since this morning. I didn't bother liking it, because it's a shoddily written article reporting a 2ch post that gets several facts wrong (North Umbria, using Altina's picture for Tonfa Girl, etc). I believe most of the info is probably correct, though likely paraphrased horribly from a Japanese article and then translated just as quickly. That said I believe the rough facts probably are from the article. Anyway, if you scroll up you'll see we've already been discussing it.

Orbal magic or some shit.

Shit. I didn't notice because I CTRL+F'd Gematsu to see if anyone else linked it.

Ms. "I will defeat both my teachers and prove myself the strongest ever" is spending her time as headmaster of a school? Did she learn something from Vandyck too, and trying to outdo him now too? And where does that leave Bardias since the two were practically joined at the hip? Vice Principal? P.E. Teacher?

So what he feared would happen is beginning to actually happen. Neat. He'll kill a member of Class VII and join Ouroboros.

Not with that hair he's not. Or those two swords, unless there're different branches of the Vander Style.

What does that mean? One form, or ALL of them? Then there's the question of which form if it was only one, but I'd assume it would be either the 4th Form: Autumn Leaf Cutter or the 8th Form: Void.

That actually makes a bunch of sense from a character and political point of view, though. She was a leader of the Nobles and is clearly talented. She can't be trusted with troops of her own, but she could be useful in a training capacity. Or maybe she actually defeated Count Arseid and now wants to pass her skills to another, and be defeated in turn.

The question is actually whether she's there because she wants to be or because Osbourne is forcing her to be. In many ways this branch school of Thors seems like a place Osbourne is throwing all the trash he doesn't want to deal with and/or wants to keep an eye on.

This is one of the things I suspect was probably botched in the translation of the post which was paraphrasing an article. I'd definitely take that part with a grain of salt, though I'd like it to be true.

My bet would be his little sister, actually

What if it's your waifu

I assume Kurt might be adopted.

Maybe he's Kurt Rieveldt

His optimism and smile… it's back?

Yuna is pretty cute.

Needs more green-haired girl though.

She might be a different Class. Still though,I know we have one or two Jap fags here. Now's you're time to shine!

Rean's class only has those three students, so quite probably.

Seems more like confidence as opposed to a naive chipper nature.

Well, i wasn't expecting this.

Anyone got an idea what the music is?

Trails of Cold Steel is Xenogears + Persona.

I can't wait to spank that smug little shits ass when i see her next time.

You will feel sorry for her.

You'll want to protect that smug smile later.

Didn't I warn you about about returning before you finished? Anything you get spoiled on now you bring on yourself. You're not the only one who's enjoyed spanking her naughty bottom.

He does look a little more confident and fixed, especially compared to the straight up defensive posture he had in CSII. Good for him. Can't wait to see how the game takes that little bit away from him.

It's definitely not from the Vita version. That means we are getting more music for the PS4 version and they'll release an OST album for it, just like what they did with Tokyo Xanadu eX+.

What I don't get is why the hell are they still outsourcing music arrangement to Singa. At least it looks like he got a bit better with his guitar tone.

twitter.com/XSEEDGames/status/839608171534569472

So who's gonna get that Becky avatar?

I might since I happen to have a dollar of credit doing nothing, but looking at that promo, I can't help but notice the similarity between Kurt "Vander" and Celestin.

It's probably nothing. Nothing at all.

I hate her so much but she's my Car Lesbians PC

Disgust

This is what hell looks like.

Are gamers the biggest consumer whores on the planet?

Of course we are. Just look at Amiibos, gaming furniture, Japan, etc.

Talking about SC reminded me of how much it's OST kicked ass. Fight With the Assailant, The Enforcers, Looking Up at the Sky are just a few examples. It seems like for each subseries, the subsequent game OST knocks the last out of the water. Not saying FC's or CS1's were bad, just saying their sequel's OST's were immense. Did the same hold true for 3rd and Ao? Do you think they can pull it off again in CS3.

How are the TiTS games, gameplay wise? I realize this question must have been asked a billion times so I'm sorry.

That's also what I think, except for the normal battle theme. Sophisticated Fight > Strepitoso fight, and The Glint of Cold Steel >>> Heated Mind.

I can agree on Sophisticated, but I'm gonna have to say hell no on Heated Mind being that much less less than Glint of Cold Steel. I'll definetly say it needed to grow on me, since I thought it fit really well for the Eisengard Range and Ymir and not as well for everywhere, but it's still a damn great battle theme.

If you like JRPGs, you should like them. No random encounters, first of all. Placement on the battle map also matters, if that's your thing. Buffs and debuffs can be pretty big deals. Character loadouts need to be planned out due to how the orbment and Arts system works. And that's just a few interesting bits. I'd say it's some of the most involved JRPG gameplay that wasn't just straight up JARPG. I'd say it's nothing to be concerned about, if you were worried.

XSeed is willing to port the Cold Steel games to PC.

twitter.com/XSEEDGames/status/839655889564946432

Is Ys origin a good place to start if you've never played a Ys game before?

To be entirely honest, I wouldn't give XSEED work if I was a corporation because they're a bunch of whiny, over-emotional children.

I suggest playing chronicles first before Origin. It will help you understand more of what's going on and you'll get more of the stuff happening. But if you don't care about the story you can go for it(and I don't blame you since none of the stories are shared besides Origins and Chronicles), but I suggest Ark and Felghana first since Origin is what feels to be the most refined of the three, and it has three playable characters to boot.

Also Chronicles plays with the bump system, Oath, Ark and Origin play with the really fucking good isometric hack n slash perspective. I've yet to play seven or Celceta yet so I can't talk about those.
Is it me or does Lacrimosa's gameplay look like it takes some elements from Musou games? Not that I'm complaining.

i meant more about the gameplay. does each game explain the combat system and all that stuff? or do some of them expect you to just know and only tell you about changes?

Bump system is straight forward, from what I remember there were a few tutorials here and there.
The hack and slash system is also fairly straight forward and everything is explained to you once you get to it.
Both systems are really simple to get into but very difficult to master as the bosses will no doubt prove.

Oh shit! It seems Olivier has a secret identity of his own and Josette is objectively the best girl!

You are massive faggot.

If the results are good we like to call it passion, user. Children are incompetents who break games.

It's more about their public conduct. It doesn't inspire confidence.

As long as they keep up their translation quality, they can say whatever bullshit in public they want, imo

That's why they actually decided to TL this series. They're fanboys/girls. God knows these games are not a commercial success.

Angelica Autist, you have no business critiquing anyone's public conduct.

t h i s

Mind to explain this?

Who would have thought the moetrash JRPG would do better than the well written JRPG? That's weird innit?

That's pretty impressive that they manage to shit those games out and get that many sales.

TitS is not cute enough

Why do people keep spending 30 to 60 USD on these games despite them being horrible trash every installment?

So to be expected, most people are sub 90 IQ

I wish Holla Forums would die

People who hate reading and love moe blob crap. Also SC's troubled localization.

Today's the day of the 3rd's localization update, so that's nice. Hopefully no one's been driven insane/tried to commit suicide and we've had smooth sailing.

blog.us.playstation.com/2017/03/09/ys-viii-an-rpg-with-a-legacy-of-fast-combat-and-great-music/

So what do you guys think? It makes me feel slightly optimistic, or better said, less pessimistic. Its sounds like they are familiar with the past games and have some sort of passion for the series, so maybe it won't be a shitty release…?

Dogi is in Lacrimosa?
Does that mean I can go around punching shit?

Last I checked, he's not playable

He stays back and guards the camp while you explore.

He is not playable, he's just used when you need to break walls.

How often is that?

Why

When do you never need walls broken?
Shit Dogi is so cool he broke a wall that Adol couldn't break with Genos's magic.

Wanted to use a different bash elemental guy, they used Dogi and Duren, both fisters in the last two games.

Depends on how many walls are in the game

They know the backlash that happened when it was announced. Its just PR trying to get the weak minded to bend their knee.

twitter.com/XSEEDGames/status/840252619310292992

So what, two months?

Are you serious? It looks like standard commercial shit that seems to have been extracted from Wikipedia in 10 minutes.

It's time to stop.

PSA: Xseed's library on Steam is currently on sale. If you wanna support Falcom, do your part.

Thankfully even if they fuck uo the translation fan trasnslations will be a thing thanks to the PC port.
I highly doubt Falcom will let them remove any content, theres barely any risque shit as it is in comparison to things like Censored Girls.

within six months

I have eclectic tastes. Why not enjoy both?

FFFFFFFFFFFFUCK
I'm watching it on youtube. Fuck the bonus content.
So, TiTS FC or emulate Ys 7?

FC. It's a better game.

I already did that on GoG for a friend, not doing it again for Steam.

Could be a two weeks, could be two months. Depends on how fast their testers get through the builds, the amount of bugs they have, and how much balls they have to release it around P5.

I'm not saying you can't, but most don't.

I should add that they used this as a means to try to quiet people down. Dont fall for the tricks. Keep the pressure on. Teach the retards who buy their games their shite practices. Falcom might not have a tight leash on them, but the consumer can also strangle them with the amount of examples we have.

Thanks pal. The main menu music already tells me I'm in for a treat.
I'm curious if your post means FC is that good a game or if Seven is that bad a game. Which is it?

TiTS is really good, Seven (along with Celceta) are the worst modern Yses.

I see. Mind if I ask you why or if this is something I should see for myself?
Shit user I was really looking forward to Celceta

They're not bad games, they're just not as good as the other ones, largely due to the inability to jump.

How's the Crossbell games? Are they actually as good as people say, or is it just another case of "They're not in English, therefore they're amazing."? I've played most of Trails int he Sky, just need to go through the third game to finish them off, then I'm debating on if I want to play the Crossbell games (I can read Nip), or play Cold Steel. Kinda thinking about just playing Cold Steel for now because I'm sort of interested in them and I'm getting a little tired of playing long game after long game, so I'm debating on just playing the Cold Steels and then the Crossbell games later, or just playing the Crossbell games and then Cold Steel (immediately or later, whatever I feel like).

The Crossbell games are very good. The politics in them are definitely more interesting than Cold Steel's (although the two are closely related). Lloyd is far and away the least interesting Trails protagonist, but he does have quite a few interesting people around him. Overall the games have a very strong central story that picks up on many of the darker themes raised by Trails in the Sky 3rd. The thing with the Crossbell games and Cold Steel is that they happen concurrently. This means that the Crossbell games end up spoiling the major political events of Cold Steel whole cloth by virtue of being released earlier. Cold Steel does the same, though I'd argue their spoilers are far less severe. Either way you slice it, though, playing one set before the other will spoil some things for you. This is likely why Cold Steel hasn't been as well liked in Japan. They already knew everything major that was going to happen in CS1 and 2 just about.

There's also the fact that Cold Steel hasn't had it's big finale game yet. Both Sky and The Crossbell games have gotten SC and Ao respectively. Cold Steel is still waiting for its flashy swan song. There probably is a golden way to play the two series together, but I'm not autistic enough to come up with it.

Reminds me of when I played Persona 2: Eternal Punishment. I didn't like it as much as Innocent Sin, but I think that's just because I knew what was going on in the background already and just wanted to pick up where Innocent Sin left off, but it took the entire game to do so. Had I not played Innocent Sin first, I think it would have been more interesting (not that I regret my playing order, not one bit, and if I could do it again, I'd still play IS first).

I think I'll probably just play the Crossbell games then. May have to push the Cold Steels off some more. I may be able to read Nip, but playing multiple games that drown in text in a row can still get tiring.

They can't even write Sound Team jdk properly. Don't have high hopes for the localisation.

Yes, but he's not playable. Dogi punches dinosaurs and shit in Ys VIII, tho

Just play both, user. Falcom doesn't make bad games. Form your own opinion about Seven and Celceta as well.

play nayuta

I actually think playing Cold Steel first is better as the hints given through CS about Crossbell whet your appetite to know just what the hell is going on there, where Crossbell spoils most of the big moments of CS. Though I suppose you could argue the same in reverse, I feel like CS first didn't spoil my appetite for Crossbell like Crossbell can spoil the appetite for CS. But that's just my opinion.

Top shelf enemy battle falcom.
You are truly the greatest jrpg developer of all times.

Do I get anything for playing TitS on Nightmare mode? Different enemy attacks or behavior or is it just every monster being roided up? I'm getting my ass fucked on every encounter and I haven't even leveled up once.

Ys 7 is amazing so far. Though I have to ask what is it with PSP games and having bosses that take quite a while to kill. It's good that Vacant Interference is a much better track than Scars of the Divine Wing, at least.

play nayuta

Just play it on normal, it's not worth getting into the trouble of playing the game in hard or nightmare since it can be pretty tedious and the game wasn't made with those difficulties on mind (they were added on the psp port). Unless you like the gameplay and like to challenge yourself AFTER beating the game and knowing how it works.

So any of those pages translated yet?

If Rean's ogre power is getting out of control, it could be becoming its own separate entity. It could manifest as what stands behind Rean. Maybe it takes Crow's form to fuck with him.

>Rean getting a FUCKING STAND
Not gonna lie. That'd be baller as hell

I think you might have to wait until Beryl. For now, you have Millium and Altina.

dengekionline.com/elem/000/001/484/1484646/

Ys 8 will have Inferno difficulty. Only Oath had that, btw.

Who is ready for an Inferno Adol only run?

Really stupid question here, does Celceta, or Lacrimosa do those who have played it, have different character models depending on what type of armors you are wearing?
After playing Xanadu Next I just really want to see this again but in the Ys games, and the only game I've played so far that has this was Felghana with specific armor combinations.

If you want that play nayuta. Everything changes.

arlight fine I guess I should add that only the weapon changes in both 7 and 8. You get these vanity items that become your character model if you equip them though. It's like TF2.

Seven also has your shield change and VIII has costumes. Only palette swaps and Adol's sailor costume outside of DLC though.

Best part of the game

List OP changes.

Demo for Ys VIII PS4 comes out on Mar. 24th

Japanese demo that is.

Tokyo Xanadu on Vita confirmed to release June 30th. Amazon has ex+ listed for a November 24th.

Is there anyone actually still playing NitroPlus?

Last question: what're you're current thoughts about the direction of CS3 given the info we know now?

Does the PAL release of Cold Steel 1 on PS3 have any patches? Doesn't download anything for me even though I find posts online about it existing. I bought my copy in late 2016 so maybe it's a never print that is prepatched?

*newer

I'd like to err on the side of optimism for your sake, but Trails is a very niche series so I'd be surprised if it got more than one print run. Plus the PAL version's distribution was handled by NISA, so I could see them not releasing a patch. Just look out for text bugs and don't save on the train.

Something concerns me with Lacrimosa of Dana. As much as I love the flash guard mechanic from Ys7 I kind of felt it makes a lot of bosses cake because you can just spam it and then do your crit EX attack and fuck up the boss without breaking a sweat. My concern is that with the party system and whatnot the boss difficulty from Oath and Origin, because in addition to having three health bars, and healing items, you now have a cost-less guard move that's kind of easy to pull(at least in 7 it is).
Has anyone played Lacrimosa or knows something to help put this concern to rest?

Don't get me wrong as much as I like Ys7 and Celceta I just feel like the bosses didn't push the gameplay to its limit the same way OiF and Origins did.

I was a little concerned that old Class VII was going to replaced with a new bunch of plucky kids plus Rean. However, it seems the"new Class VII" only has three people in it (and only two of those are new characters), with Rean as the teacher, leaving plenty of slots open for old characters. My only real concern now is that the plot structure will follow CSI too much. I hope that doesn't happen.

Oh god, this. CSII was goddamn amazing just from stepping out of that restrictive school schedule with no ability to travel freely.

Thankfully and unlike Ys Seven, you can't mindlessly spam Flash Guard and hope for the best. A mistimed Flash Guard leaves you vulnerable and makes you take quite a chunk of damage, as the move can only be activated once in a few seconds. Everything has to be predicted and then timed to perfection.

Also, Ys VIII PS4 has Inferno difficulty.

But user, you can play Solo Adol/anyone in Ys VIII PS4.

Enemies can hurt your AI-controlled party members.

Healing items are sort of restricted. You may be able to farm them, but there are no incentives in the game to have you do it. The most powerful healing items are restricted by the number of bottles you have (and they are not craftable until the end game, and even so the required materials are rare).
The cooked food has a long cooldown between each use.

Not sure how bosses like Kava Kelos, Altago Dragons, etc didn't push the gameplay as much as Felghana/Origin's bosses, or are any less interesting. If anything, they have more phases/attacks to learn which have meaningful impact on how you use your fighters/skills. And I say this thinking Felghana/Origin have awesome boss designs – Seven's still up there for the most part, and Ys VIII has beaten that. I think only the Water bosses disappointed me in Seven.

PAL is likely already patched considering Europe gets the games last. PAL CS2 was delayed by months.

Last call before the new thread.

New thread