PS2 Thread

No love on Holla Forums for the best console with the absolute best library, bar none?
For shame!

What games are you playing? Have you mastered soldering to high pin density packages to install a modchip or did you softmod your PS2 to play the games you missed back in the day? I seriously hope you are not emulating, that'd be silly!

Well at least you changed your pasta up some. Still, I swear you always word things in such a way to get people to spend a third or so of the thread arguing and shitposting over the quality of the PS2 library or validity of emulation as a means of playing. I won't agree or disagree, but would it kill you not to do that for once?

Just finished Odin Sphere, albeit via Leifthrasir on the PS3. Neat game, and I can see how it was so well liked back in the day, though admittedly I'm saying that based on my experience with the remade gameplay. Might have to try the classic "PS2" mode sometime. With that out of the way (and I wasn't rushing it, either; game ate up a surprising amount of time, though I'm wondering what that final star in the progress meter is), I'm debating on whether to .hack//IMOQ and G.U. next, or Tsugunai.

I've got an IDE drive in my fat I can install games to. Speaking of putting games on there, was checking a download site recently and came across a PS2 game that looked interesting off the cover art the upload post included (JP cover, anyhow) called Swords of Destiny. Any PAL anons played it that could say if it's worth a go or not? Game never came to NA, so I can't say I've heard much at all on it on this side of the ocean.

Yeah nah.

ps2 did more to push the 60fps standard than any 3d console before then.

Maybe next time if no one else makes a PS2 thread for a while.

That's not the N64, user.

Dont lie user. N64 was mostly 20 FPS.

What I mean is that it's the console that introduced shit-tier framerates (DROPS TO SINGLE DIGITS IN PERFECT DARK) to the mainstream. Even the PSX is like 90% 30fps for fully 3d games, but at least there's minimal drops.

Dubs until you change your fucking template you spam every week.

Quit being a Sonygger. The PS2 is the best selling console ever, no argument about it but that doesn't mean we need threads about it every 5 fucking seconds. Between your bait template thread and every dumb millenial nigger asking
HURR GUYZ I NEED CHARTZ RECOMMEND ME SUM PEE ESS TOO GAMZ
every week, we don't need threads about the PS2 that will devolve into guaranteed shitposting. It's obvious YOU don't browse Holla Forums enough to see the PS2 has been talked about to fucking death. Either lurk more or fuck off and check my dubs faggot.

Is $40 plus tax for a PS2 slim the hookups and 1 controller a bad deal?

Depends where you live. In the USA it's not a terrible deal though you could find a better deal.

You mean the console who destroyed everything? PS2 made gaming "cool" and is the reason everything went to shit. Not to mention that it was the shovelware machine.

If I said I live in Canada, how does that affect the deal?

Feed me ps2 RPGs.
There are a ton and I can't figure out what I wanna play.

I'd guess Canada is the same as the USA. In Mexico you can get used PS2s with as little as $5, though $15-$20 is more typical.

I modded my ps2 phat and put a bunch of games on it but the resolution is so crap everything is practically unplayable. Emulation all the way son.

Most things seem to indicate that it is either team laser unit or the ribbon cable connecting it that is the problem. Have to get in there and replace it. Got my pstwo hard modded back in 2007. Has been working perfectly until reccently.

I'd personally recommend Wild Arms (1, 2, and 3 at minimum, though the first two are on the PS1; I've enjoyed the later PS2 entries as well, but they're more than a bit hit or miss with fans) and the Shadow Hearts series (play in release order, which doubles as chronological order). Also really liked Tales of the Abyss, but that is very much a love it or hate it entry in its series.

If it's in good shape and you can get a guarantee that it works, that doesn't sound too bad (my own fat PS2 cost about as much probably five years back; think the price has since gone up). That said, PS2s are common as fuck and you can probably find them cheaper if you look more, but that of course leaves the working status a bit questionable. Personally I'd rather pay a bit more at a location that actively tests/repairs what they take in (and a store I know of a town over that does so includes a free one year replacement guarantee if it does stop working) as opposed to spinning a roulette wheel with pawn shop/garage sale ones in the hopes that they last a while, let alone actually work. Just my own thoughts though.

You might also want to double check what the model number is that you're looking at, and see if there's any noted titles that don't work with it. While PS2s have mostly the same compatibility for PS1 and PS2 games, some games do apparently have issues on certain models. There's a brief page on Wikipedia about some of them; I used to know of an indepth forum post somewhere with more specifics, but it's as if it's been purged from the web last I went looking for it again.

Were you using a CRT or HDTV?

That's not too bad tbh. The thing is, electronics usually hit a bottom out price and don't drop in price after that point, until people suddenly realize their scarcity, and it skyrockets again.

Make sure it's a model you can softmod/hardmod/whateverthefuck you're doing.

Check ebay.ca/kijiji to get a ballpark average.

Bump

Bumping for Tony Hawk's Underground series. They have aged pretty damn well, and were a laugh riot to play through. I could speed run THUG1 in

try tightening the pot on the laser module, may hae just gone loose and that may fix it. I'd give you a 50% chance that's the problem.

wow a 480i system is low resolution maybe get a proper display and use a higher quality signal.

THUG 1 & 2 are glorious 720p on Xbox too.