Mplayer.co

Mplayer.co

Dear god we're doing this again.

I don't understand, what is this? Bumping for you in case it leads to fun, but shit, I haven't ever seen this site before. What do?

Back in the early days of PC internet multiplayer, (think 1994 ish) Server listings, lobby chat, VOIP etc. wasn't done by the games themselves; If you wanted to find people to play with you had to join one of these multiplayer communities. Mplayer was one of the free ones, some where subscription based (HEAT.net, TEN).
Mplayer got eaten by gamespy and became Gamespy arcade around the 2000s, HearIt became Rodger Wilco! etc.

For some fucking reason someone bought the rights to the Mplayer trademark and is relaunching the service in 2017, For what fucking reason I don't know. I figured some other oldfags might be baffled by this mess as well.

But why?

Damn, that's some crazy shit. What purpose will it even serve? I'm honestly kind of interested in finding out.

Dont know, a poor man's Xfire?

That business model is fucked. Even Xfire is dead at this point.

I'm guessing some moronic old people investors wanted to get into games for some reason and bought what they thought was a valuable IP

i remember playing AvP1 on this shit

The only way I can see this being useful is for games whose integrated server browser is forever broken after gamespy got shut down in 2014

I would be surprised if the new software supported any of the games it used to

I'm willing to bet that somewhere out there, there's a clueless person who thinks that by buying the Mplayer brand he now owns the "Facebook of games"

discord but more gay

hasn't most popular and unpopular games from back then which used something like gamespy get fan made lobbys?

Of all the things to bring back, this is one of the worst.

If they add a virtual LAN it could be Tunngle or Evolve without all the cancer.

Just think, in another 20 years people might be having this exact discussion about gamespy.

Though I remember it worked better than Steam when it first came out. Steam was buggy as fuck, most people still used dial-up, and Friends didn't work for almost a year because Gabe was sitting on the Ethernet cord.

Megafuckingturboniggernewfag
Ask your dad what it is

But does it support old ipx vidya?

I remember the evenings i spent doing shit on the internet because between 0 and 6am phone calls were free. I even remember the internet titties i saw for the first time and I wish I had the pic.

fug meant for

This used to have a video chat component to it as well as just audio. That was around the time I saw my first pair of underage titties. It was glorious. I also used it for a few games too. But mostly for titties before they made you pay for webcams.

It could be useful, but every fucking time I ask for multiplayer games here people ignore me

The worst thing is how everything has been tamed today.
The internet used to be like a real frontier with seemingly infinite places to explore. You always assumed there was something completely unique waiting for you just around the corner, and you simply had to start looking to find it. It was before everything was based on templates. Something as simple as the layout of a page carried a distinct personal touch.
Now we get more and more sites dying but barely anything new popping up, and everything "new" is just the same old same old.
Indeed the minds of the users appear tamed as well and you don't sense the same spark talking even with those inhabiting the most extreme corners, and neither do you feel your own.

Things are generally more convenient, but nothing has any heart put into it. Without heart, there's no life.

What are we doing?

Hey nice I was thinking about this recently

probably a botnet

Hey doesn't that d1/2x-rebirth sourceport have multiplayer? It would be fun to setup some games with that.

What the fuck? So uh does it still support all the old games that come shipped with the Mplayer stuff or something?