Tutorials

Why do we still have forced tutorials in video games?

Because they are made for everyone.

Comparing tutorials (and the lack thereof) in passive media like television and books is a false equivalence. Besides knowing how to read, there aren't any special actions a person needs to take to enjoy a television show or read a book. Video games require the player to do something in order to continue receiving entertainment. You'll notice that when books sometimes include active entertainment features (like those 'animated' flip pages in captain america books) they also include pages to explain to the reader how to operate such a feature.

Once you know how to read, you can read any book (provided you know the language and enough of the words). That doesn't apply to games, which are wildly different in mechanics and controls. None of the other mediums you listed are interactive.

This thread is objectively stupid and you're a fucking retard. You could certainly argue that forced tutorials are bad, but holy shit you're incredibly goddamn stupid.

you dont need to do anything in any other medium though, video games do require you to be participating. Still though tutorials telling me to use WASD to move are pretty redundant.

And yet none of these products demand you read the instructions and spend half an hour showing you're internalized and understood them before they'll let you use them.

Wow, look at these shitty examples. They're shitty because you don't need to know anything special in order to do these things. Hearing and watching are automatic, and you've presumably been reading for the majority of your life. Video games, on the other hand, have unique control schemes, and even though there are similarities, there are usually a number of specific actions per game that require some forethought by the player. Yeah, I agree with the notion that devs shouldn't state the fucking obvious, but on the other hand, tutorials can go a long way toward helping you master the game, especially when you're playing something with a very technical/deep set of controls (like fighting games or "character action games" like DMC, Bayonetta, etc).

Because apparently people don't read manuals (and the publishers at hand are all too happy to cut out physically producing them these days), so you might as well put a bunch of tutorials in the game itself so those same people don't bitch and whine about not knowing what to do? I admit I don't like forced tutorials much myself (especially if the character you're playing as is already supposed to have a knack for what they're doing), but I'll give credit to devs that manage to keep it in character without breaking a wall.

Also, as >>12027102 mention, not every game plays the same; while there's different vocabulary levels in something like literature, generally if you have a general knowledge for the language it's written in, you can usually enjoy it without needing further information on the technical end. Though of course, I remember being shocked even back in high school by how many students couldn't read, or at least couldn't read fluently, and would waste minutes on a single short paragraph because they couldn't pronounce the bulk of it aloud.

Forced tutorials don't actually help normalfags at all, though. They just space out completely and advance the text as quickly as possible, and then as soon as it's over they start the exact same blubbering about how they don't know what to do.

Seriously?

The best tutorials are those where you don't realize it's a tutorial.

Really a button prompt should be the start and end of a tutorial.

For complicated action games, maybe a training mode like Devil May Cry or VR Missions in MGS.

No one reads the manual these days so they have to put the tutorials in the game.

you wouldn't be able to read the tutorial on how to read

you wouldn't be able to listen to the explanation without getting your system working already

If the show was too silent in the first place, you wouldn't hear him say it

rollan

Rollin for waifu

Rolling

rollin for dumpy

this game is shit and I hate it

Now that's a fate worse than death.

Hey, at least you get to fuck the tomboy.

you better stay away form mai waifu

The point is forced tutorials in games with established and well known control schemes.

Rollin'.

But why do publishers care? By that point they already have the customer's money.

Its almost as if not all games use the same control schemes, gameplay mechanics, rules and visual/audio indicators.

I do think more games need an "I have actually played a game before please spare me" option, though. I don't need to hobble through a 10 minute tutorial telling me how to use WASD to move and space to jump.

Rollan for nerd.
The one in that pic is a qt.

No one prints the manuals either

Rollin'

At least I'm not

Those are some of the worst analogies i've ever seen, in noway are those comparable to vidya tutorials faggot.

Wait, what? When did Holla Forums start liking forced tutorials?
OP's argument may be weak, but that's no reason to sagebomb the thread.

Video games need tutorials because idiots are able to buy them but not necessarily able to use them. Maybe if you require purchasing a game require certification of triple-digit IQ, we wouldn't need invasive tutorials.

Rolling

lmao nice nitpicking, stop playing shitty weeb games like metal gear

Forced tutorials are a sign of lazy game design. It means the game developers did not know how to integrate learning into the level design. The absolute best games give you an area at the beginning of the game where you can safely test the games core mechanics at your own pace without feeling restricted. This is much more difficult to accomplish well, because it requires some level of care into how you stretch your level out and introduce key gameplay ideas. I think tutorials in general in video games are an aspect that is too under-valued given its importance and care required to make good. If you make your tutorial too long and comprehensive you might make the player lose interest. If you make your tutorial too watered down to the point you are treating the player like he's a retard and giving him instructions on how to fucking move then the player will easily become frustrated

That's why you have optional tutorials and clearly label that shit, so that people entirely new to the genre aren't left out in the cold, people familiar with the genre can just skip to what your game does different, and people who just want to play the fucking game can go play the fucking game without needing to spend time in tutorials.

Unrelated, but galko is a fun anime rollan for real nerd, freckles are a fetish of mine

Ah fuck it, i feel sad and lonely.

rolling for shits and giggles

just having a PDF manual available to me to peruse would be leagues better than a fucking tutorial. I used to cruise through those things in like 5 minutes as a kid. Some games, like Malicious for PS3, had on-disc manuals. No one has to read them if they don't want to.

I think I just rolled up the /u/ anime of the year.

Games are not books.

Come one Tomboy or Nerd!

I'd much rather just have no girlfriend, then.

games are for kids and stupid

rollan, i hope i get the dumpy one!

roll

It's being sagebombed because his argument is utterly retarded. If he had been complaining about forced tutorials no one would have bitched, aside from the ones bitching about it being a template thread.

While I'm all for good level design as the tutorial, Mario platformers have very simple controls and mechanics that you can pretty much figure out by just pressing every button. Not that most people today seem capable of pressing buttons to find out what they do. Regardless, the point is that not every game can use level design in the same way a Mario game is able to.

rolling for waifu

please please please

Fuck it why not rollin'

(checked)
we got ourselves a winner

Hah, I knew I had to win something in life some day.

Winrar

Why not, this place is a shithole anyway

Not even looking just rollan

Rolling and saving.

very nice I get myself a sexy tomboy. I like this

Okay?

Aw fuck

Rolling.

We can't all be winners.

rollan for 7

SHIT

fingers and toes are limbs, dolt.

Be My Babe

ROLLIN

Unfortunately I didn't get enough zeroes to make her my wife.

You'll just have to do it the normal way then.

might as well, rollan

the penalty point for dumpy one
lmfao

alright lets see about this roll

PERFECTION

Tutorials aren't so much an issue as they are a problem. They're a problem because they're forced on us, and how they're forced on more experienced players is a problem developers need to address. There's only so many ways a publisher can force a developer or self-impose a strict tutorial on all who pick up the game.

I'd wager that tutorials are imposed on us because people would overlook a skippable tutorial level, and have their confidence crushed with the real level.

Some games do do a tutorial level well. Demon's Souls and Darks Souls come to mind as having great tutorials, but I can't think of any others. DaS II had a poor tutorial compared to its predecessors.

I'd like you to ask yourself how you can make a good tutorial level without disenfranchising both casual and hardcore playerbases, while keeping it fun. Its not a difficult design decision when you create it last. Romero had the right idea of remaking Doom 1's first level over and over. Until you've gotten the right map making and design formula down, you can proceed with a first level. Maybe one of the pitfalls many developers have is making a tutorial level too basic at the beginning, and used the rest of the game as a tutorial like the Zeruda franchise.

Because games may often introduce new mechanics or fundamentally new ways of playing.

Thief had a tutorial because it was the first stealth game and had to introduce entirely new game mechanics like light/dark concealment and footstep volume to the player.

Thief 2 had no tutorial because the devs didn't introduce any major gameplay mechanics and could safely assume players needed no tutorial.

For some genres like RTS it makes sense to have tutorials because they almost all have their own mechanics. For other genres like shooters, a tutorial is usually pointless.

00 get

this thread is retarded if you don't know why you need the RULES of a GAME explained to the player then you're a retard who likes walking sim shit. Might as well sage and roll for them waifus.

I don't watch whatever anime this webm is from but I recognized the blond chick.

anyways rollan

wherever i am i must also roll

If a tutorial goes too long I consider dropping the game entirely. I rather just have a tutorial where I can skip everything and then get fucked for not reading it, rather then a never ending video that tells me what I should already know or can learn if they actually let me play the game.

Rolling

I didn't need to know the truth

Yeeeaah boyee, come on fatty.

rollan

Just don't give me a fucking zero

fug

Seems like most any game that has those kind of awful forced tutorials are probably games made for your average normalfag aka a complete retard, or it's for children. Nothing of value was lost.
Also maybe it's for autistic fucks like

Yee that's what I was thinking. Pioneers in the genres get a pass because god damn it was an absolutely new type of gaming. And even then the tutorial would often be seamlessly woven into the game as a learning curve. Anyone should be doing the latter.

Eh, can't complain

gotta roll, 99 get

Let's get rolling.

Clearly there's only one true winner.

r o
l l
a n

so… ladykiller in a bind? :^)

fingers and toes are appendages, not limbs. "Limb" refers to an arm or a leg.

Let's roll.

Rollin'

rollin

I agree that forced tutorials are retarded, but your analogies are even more retarded.

Fuck yeah, Tomboy Slut, Nerd, and Class Rep.

Newfags the lot of 'em
rolling

They are deliberately wasting your time to reduce your ability to refund the game, ration out abilities to pad the length, and to get you excited to be able to do something that you should have been able to do in the beginning.

me on the left

rellin

rollan

GTA did tutorials best where it pops up when necessary and doesn't interrupt your actions and pauses to tell you what to do.

Current tutorial models are just a byproduct of lazy people who don't read game manuals. It's what killed game manuals where it's very rare to find one go into full detail or provide supplemental lore. I can understand the certain mentality in that, if you lose that manual for old games, you could be completely screwed in how to play the game. I do get it on that level.

Yet, I ran into these same kinds of problem of people that didn't read the manual even back then and they are perfectly encompassed by these successful youtube let's players. I treated them like tabletop rpg core books that you had to read if you want to get started in the game. They were less complicated than trpg's so it wasn't such a hassle to take maybe a 5-15 minute read before even playing the game.

How can Dungeons and Dragons still be going for a book than can be upwards of 300+ pages and yet for gamers, 20-30 pages in a small booklet is something that they can't be bothered to read and would rather have interrupting tutorials or designated tutorial stages in their games?

I guess the current tutorial model is better in some ways. It's too bad it took away some of the good things like game manuals with it. All because of lazy, non-reading shit piles that want to play it as soon as they get it and complain when they don't know the controls because they skipped out on it.

I hope there is a special place in hell for these people and that they didn't read the fine print to get there.

This, it's optional to read the tutorials on real life purchased items, yet we are forced to slog through the same tutorials regardless of how many games we've played with the same controls, even other games in the same series
Forcing the player to see a tutorial will not help idiots, as shown by DSP, you can put it right infront of his face and the fucker still won't get it, so why punish everyone else because that dumb nigger can't read

I want to fuck Inferno Cop now, it's too late at night to be showing off bones like that

TOMBOY

rollan for dumpy or tomboy

You need to do the tutorial of learning how to read you nigger, get that through your skull

Rolling for 5, 2 or 7