Forgotten AAA games that are actually great

I just got this game last week. Being a 22 years old game, it was really finicky to install. However, this has to be the most atmospheric FPS game I've ever played. Desolate post nuclear holocaust landscape, gritty killing machines, 90's electronic music, it nailed the Terminator atmosphere perfectly. Not mentioning the full 3D graphics before Quake, almost open world sized levels, open ended mission structure, and excellent mouse controls. Forget STALKER, this is the shit.

Any good obscure AAA game you found recently?

Wow user, how new are you?
Did you just think you could come on this board, the bastion of good taste, and shill your shitty Bethesda games here?
WTF, man. Bethesda games are not allowed here, back to cuckchan with you!

I watched some gameplay, and it doesn't seem to do anything spectacular that I haven't seen in other games since, or even around the time.
Apart from being 3D/free-look, is there anything truly amazing I should play it for that can't be found elsewhere?

Wouldn't say it was colossaly atmospheric, but for the first FPS that exclusively used textured polygons instead of simple bitmaps for NPCs it was breddy gud. Also usable vehicles, but those controlled like shit compared to the FPS parts. Wish I had the SVGA version, only have the original release in vintage 320x240.

Mostly the pseudo survival aspect. Every building can be entered and there's a dungeon crawling feel to it. There's no inventory system, but hunting for ammunition and healing items is still really immersive. The terminators can take a lot of damage while you die really quickly, makes you feel vulnerable like the movie does. The sound effect of the terminator's hydraulic joints when they seek for you is quite creepy. It's not a classic FPS, it's a very slow paced survival shooter, something that was new and unique back in 95.

Come on, probably the only person left in the world who remembers this game is todd himself.

If you're a fan of the resistance battle scene in Terminator 1, you'd find this to be the most accurate representation of it. Not even T2 and Salvation captured it correctly.

Just a prank trying to fish for (you)s.
Tood remembers, for sure. It was his first game.

Yeah, Fallout 3 is so much like Future Shock. I bet he still missed it but was forced to make shitty rpg's.

It's also the first FPS with proper mouse aim, i believe.

Chronicles of Riddick

I think I played it before seeing any of the movies, so there just wasn't that connection to a known universe. In retrospect, yeah, it kinda nailed the mood, but that wasn't a factor back then for me.
It was just an impressive techdemo that stopped being fun too early. Imagine if the fucking VTOL sequence in Crysis came at the one or two hour mark. That's my experience with Future Shock. Good enough to remember it somewhat fondly, bad enough to remember what was wrong.

is there any chance that Todd will take a day off from his hard working creating the best games ever to return to his roots and Make Terminator Great Again

Butcher's Bay is amazing, but I don't think it's quite forgotten. Needs a gog release though.

Nah, Terminator has been a dead franchise since gynosys.

Battlefield 2
Half life 1+2

How about Blood 2?

I used to play the demo of that over and over, and I actually ended up buying the game on ebay since none of the brick and mortar stores near me had it and I had dialup so piracy wasn't an option. Very underrated game.

No one wants your shitty opinion, kid.

The Bethesda Terminator games were great and vastly before their time. Sure the enemies were low poly, but the feeling of traversing huge levels and taking down flyers was unmatched back then.

Forgotten, yes, but I don't remember it being that good. Kinda boring to be honest.

Soldier of Fortune is a much better game. There's a perfect blend between fast and brutal classic FPS action of the early 90's and simple but effective level design idiosyncratic to the late 90's-early 2000's, it's the perfect formula for FPS level design. I think it's the best classic FPS ever, I like it more than Half Life. It's been a forgotten gem as well. Thank God for platinum edition though.

Soldier Of Fortune was actually my first choice, but blood was older.

btw, ever heard of Redline? Way ahead of it's time.

But SoF's level design is shitty and mazelike. The gunplay is good, and the heavy machinegun is easily in the top 5 most satisfying weapons out of any shooter, but there are way too many levels in SoF that are poorly designed, even by that generation's standards.

Yeah, Blood had better level design.

I love Blood but 2 stinks. Short, dumb, bad hitscan enemies. Just replay the first and consider yourself lucky that we got a little treasure like this and daily reminder that turbo kikes are holding onto the Blood source and preventing Caleb from going mainstream like Duke

on second though this might be a good thing

I do remember the military base and lab levels being shit, but I love the sewer level.

wow, truly the pinnacle of first person action. I love how he walked up to the walker bot made of 18 polygons and clicked it a few times with a metal pipe and it exploded.

This looks really bad OP. I don't think bethesda was ever competent at game design.

Yeah, fuck me for not playing every single game back in the 90s. How foolish of me for saving my money and buying games that interested me instead of saving cash for a house.

I only asked if there was anything spectacular to add it to my backlog. No need to get salty about it.

(((Pure Coincidence)))

lol

I remember you, thinking you're some 1337 kid just cos you hacked Holla Forums to get your ID to be 000000…

shit man you just (1)'d in a thread with 20 posts and 11 UIDs.

Turok.

I played through it with the recent re-release and I have to say I was pretty disappointed with the game overall.

But that isn't AAA.

But you have shit taste.

I replayed both Bloods a while ago, 2's AI is way too bad to enjoy the game I dropped in like second chapter or something

I just like my levels with less platforming for the sake of variety and better enemy placement to emphasize creative and interesting play. It just was not a particularly good game. Liked the bosses though, especially the mantis.

monolith couldn't figure out how to make AI enjoyable on their lithtech engine, not until lithtech 2 in nolf2.

To cuckchan with you fucking shill

Reminder that Kex2 has Build engine as well as Doom engine games as a target goal. Doom64 EX is great, and the dev has teased importing Turok and Duke3D assets from the N64 ports. Which means Blood too.

The Warriors has long been forgotten, unfortunately.

with you, user. I loved Turok on N64 growing up. I don't think it aged well, or maybe it needed the mystery fog technical limitation of the time, I know. it still worked, tho don't listen to this projecting faggot

The AI gets stuck sometimes, but that's quite a rare case. It has problems with path finding.

bait

Terminator salvation game was alright