Just started playing this for the first am past the prom is there and am bored to tears...

Just started playing this for the first am past the prom is there and am bored to tears. Is there anything down the line that could redeem this or should I just skip ahead to IX?

Also Final Fantasy thread

Other urls found in this thread:

store.steampowered.com/app/377840/
twitter.com/AnonBabble

skip to IX

Triple Triad

Final Fantasy as a whole just plain sucked after VI, play something better like BoF3.

IX is even more boring

Play Front Mission instead.

Skip ahead to a fuckin noose, you illiterate.

How does it feel to miss the entire point of the game?

FF15 might be more up your alley user, the game never gives you a chance to get bored

This.
This is the SOLE REASON to play VIII. God damn that card game is fucking fun.

FF8 is not about grand adventure, or fighting shit, or not even about love story.
It's a game about daily routine in a fantasy world, kinda slice of life but with actual gameplay instead of being VN or anime.
With such mindset it's super enjoyable, music playing in your balamb garden becomes ultra comfy, and you feel at home there, home where you can always return and relax.

wew

Yeah you can break the game, and even the strongest of hidden bosses become minor annoyances at best. So game returns to being slice of life, since nothing is even a threat to you.

Yep, this.

Play the shit out of triple triad at the start, convert the cards to OP spells, junction them, and then just faceroll through the game 1-2 shotting everything and playing 'for the story' since the actual gameplay is shit.

It has a slow start, sure but once the ride begins it turns into a wild one. 8 meanwhile remains slow and boring throughout right until the end where it just turns plain retarded.

I'm sorry mate I dropped the game somewhere on the 3rd disc because of how bland and boring and turbo slow everything ass.
I dunno when that wild ride of yours begin, but sure as fuck not in the first 40 fucking hours.

I am having I similar problem with Final Fantasy IX, the cinematics are great and exciting but man is everything else kind of just ok so far. I've just reached Lindblum, does it get better?

Yes, that's where the game really starts. Be sure to win the Festival and be sure to keep at least 1 of each equipment in your inventory for late game fusion.

9 is slow the whole way through. It doesn't help that your party is split up for most of the game, so half the time you're stuck with that boring Steiner faggot.

Just skip it, there's nothing redeeming about FF8.

You shouldn't win the festival, let Freya win it for the best reward.

Coral Rings are easy to get though, while at that point, money is tight.

Also, FF9 playing user, as soon as you get out of Lindblum and get Quina from the swamp, have her learn Limit Glove and reduce her HP to 1 and go grind level 80 dragons on top of Gizmaluke's Grotto.

Those faces. What the hell were they thinking? They look like a bunch of fucking downies. Especially the girl with purple hair.

At least the battle system becomes pretty fun when trying to min/max damage and ATB resets from paradigm shifts.

The whole game is corridors of varying size. Even when the game "opens up", you're still in a corridor, albeit a wider one.

Also, the further you go the more bananas the writing gets, even for a Final Fantasy title.

Should you skip to the game where a single combat takes 10 minutes because of stupid camera pans at start EVERY TIME and each action no matter how mundane taking half a minute? Do yourself a favor and just go backwards instead.

No it doesn't. It's forever an horribly paced piece of trash with a disgustingly pathetic villain and main cast characters that deserve to be flung off a cliff except for the fucking rat and the purple haired brat.

Nah. They still offer some challenge.

I think Red Dragons and Malboros are more dangerous than omega weapon. I don't even remember how exactly you fight it, I think I just spammed Squall's limit like on everything else and it just died.

Yeah red dragons were in a league of their own. Still dunno why fire ressist does nothing against them. Propagators too.
But Omega weapon is no joke either. Even with spamming Squall you still need a ton of time to beat him.

I don't think red dragons or malboros are immune to degenerator.

Also OP, the story in VIII gets pretty stupid past disc 1 but if you like the gameplay its bearable, if not jump to IX

On the propagator missions you have a 2 person party m8. Rinoa is a weak little shit.

I'm sorry I played it before your fat ass was even born, so no shit I don't remember most of technical stuff.
I also played the game through only once unlike some autistic weebs I knew that did it several times for some weird fucking reason, even though it's ultra linear.

I know
Git gud

Why are you talking about something you have no clue about then?

Are you going to suggest a strong enemy from the game or are you just going to be a faggot ?

To add to the list of more annoying encounters: those tigerswith the long tentacle moustaches. I remember a group of those casting death on 2/3 of my party in one turn, successfully.

As someone who fought level 100 bite bugs, go fuck yourself; those little faggots turned into freight trains when they got swole. Of course, i also fought them with pure normal attacks like a proper RPG rather than meltdown/auraing like a twat, so that may have been part of it.

Omega, everybody else is piss easy if you have a basic grip of how the gsme works.

Those T-Rexes can wreck your shit early on.

Because game is casual as shit regardless if you get technical or not. It's a jrpg for fuck's sake.

Again, you are talking about something yoj have no idea about, so your opinions can safely be discarded. Also, it seems that the game gave you a hard time despite being "casual", hm?

Coeurls are in most FF games, and they always fucking suck with their Blaster ability. In recent games, it just drops your HP to one, but in earlier games it would do something totally random to you, including massive status ailments or instant death. And they spam the fuck out of it, the cheeky cunts.

It will get worse. Just turn your head back to the previous FFs instead, if you haven't played them

CD-ROM killed JRPGs. Slowness, loading times, FMVs and story exposition everywhere. SNES was the real gold era. I wonder what would have happened if devs had chosen N64 instead

You're god damn right.

If it's casual, then why do most people fail to ever finish it?

I never got this complaint. Loading times were barely noticeable for most games at the time. They are much longer for games these days that read directly off a HDD.

Try to play JRPGs (read: random encounters) that were released both in SNES & PSX and tell me they're barely noticeable

I've played loads of JRPGs from both eras, and I have never really considered it an issue.

I think Chrono Trigger PS1 is the only time it annoyed me, because it loaded every time you went into a menu for some reason, but I'd chalk that up to shitty programming since other games don't have that issue.

It really depends if you're doing a low level game or high level, long as you junction properly and keep everyone alive the fight is fairly trivial on a low level game.

Short of having everyone with esuna junction marlboros will fuck your day up in any game. I think I actually game over'd twice trying to get the stupid tentacles before I just did the degenerator trick.

Chrono Trigger port on Final Fantasy Chronicles for the PS1. Up to 60 seconds loading times on just hitting the fucking menu button. Other then that I can't really think of any game with actual loading times that were a bother. Some games have really obnoxious animation sequences like IX where the camera has to do a full 360 every god damn fight. Same with VIII I think because I remember being legitimately disoriented in some areas.

I do find it difficult to go back and play original versions of some games though, the x3 speed up on some of the PC ports are a great feature for grinding/getting through the obnoxious parts you've seen 10 times over.

PSX Chrono Trigger is a really bad port.

I'm playing this for the first time.

Send help.

I finished this piece of shit. It's miserable all the way through.

I was lied to.

Probably by a Lightning Cultist.

Lightning's not so bad. I want to strangle hope and vanille. Also kick some sense into Snow. All these terrible japanese gesticulations are driving me insane. Lightning's just about the only member of the cast that doesn't seem to behave like a spastic.

FFIX is basically unplayable due to its loading times. Every random battle has a 15 second color swirl, followed by an gradual fade-in and then an extremely slow pan around the battlefield, and then it slowly initializes the character's little animations and then starts the ATB at fucking zero, and that game's ATB meter is the slowest in the series even when set to maximum.
I really want to enjoy that game, but it makes me want to rip my face off.

You're not suffering through the dub are you?

I just skipped 13 and 13-2 and played Lightning Returns directly. All of the gameplay they forgot to include in the first two games is packed into LR. LR also thankfully has almost no story since the first two games got it all.
Is a relatively distraction-free game and it's a lot of fun. Pretty challenging, too, especially if you want to 5* everything and 100% it.

You think squeeky japanese voices are preferable?

The voices are fine anyways, it's the japanese anime mannerisms the characters have that's baked into their animations that irritates me.

I've honestly never found it that bad. Doesn't the PC version let you turn that off?

Why would you endure the dubbed Vanille voice user? There are better ways to self-harm.

I haven't tried the PC version, so I don't know about that. If it does, then I might finally get to do a full playthrough.

FF9 doesn't have a PC version you can emulate it though.

It does now, but it's based on the mobile version I think.
store.steampowered.com/app/377840/

Just gave it a test, it skips the bullshit. I think it actually makes the battles start up faster as well because of it.

Apart from a pig-disgusting mobile interface, what other changes does the mobage version have? Does it have completely fucked up artwork like FF6PC?

Backgrounds aren't exactly pretty but considering the main intention was for phones I don't blame them for not remastering it. You could probably play on windowed with a smaller res but I haven't tried it. It has the boosters where you can see in the other screenshot plus a speedup that plays the game at double speed, a trigger that will make everything do 9999 and other various gameshark like shit.

Otherwise its still the same game.

MY EYES

That vaseline filter is so disgusting.

Got curious to see if it would look better in small res. Not really. Some mods you can toy with are flying around though, not really a fan of artifcal scanlines but it seems to do wonders combined with some other corrections and SMAA/FXAA.

You're better off just emulating the original PSX version in native res. High res models clash with the pre-rendered background too much.

I'm just happy their is easy access to all the games at this point regardless of emulation, VII and VIII had absolute garbage for ports before they made newer steam versions.

I wanna fuck that tonberry.

Sneak attack Malborros from ffx were the worst as they would always start with Bad Breath and nuke your party.