Help with a Puzzle

I've been playing this one game recently, and I seem to have done everything that you need to do in it, but there's this thing here that I found.

As you can see, there are arrows carved into it, presumably that's what you need to put into the thing. But the way that this thing actually works is that it prompts you to put in 4 directions for "pass"… then 4 directions again for "code". And it give you 4 new directions as a "result".

I've scanned the whole game, but I can't really find any info that would hint me towards what to do with this. I figured there must be some sort of hint. Maybe I'm just supposed to work out the problem from itself, but it's tricky. Interchanging the input between "pass" and "code" gives you a different result. In case it wasn't obvious, I must have to make the result the same as the carved arrows.

Other urls found in this thread:

remar.se/daniel/misc/iji_changelog.txt
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Seems like the most obvious solution, depending on how the result comes out

If we're going for
left left up down
and it's as simple as choosing every other input, the Konami code would give you
up up down down left right left right
so maybe you're supposed to do the last four first and the first four last

Left right left right followed by up up down down gives me
up down left right
While up up down down followed by left right left right gives me
right left up right

It's really weird. It might help to mess around with it for yourself to see if you find any patterns.

If you're curious and willing, it's from a short adventure game called "Strawberry Jam" by Remar Games. You have to get close to the end of it to get the item, but it will take you ~1 hour depending on how much you explore.

It seems to me you are supposed to get left left up down as a result to solve it.

Yeah, I know. What I need to figure out is how.

With your arrow keys.

Daniel Remar is a nigger

Put in shit like UUUU UUUU, DDDD DDDD, etc and post results.

What game?

Here are the more basic combos- notepad keeps it nice and even. I'll try and look for a pattern, too.

So:

Again, take note that r is different if p and c's values are switched, unless p and c are the same value:

see

I just got there, I see if I can figure it out.

I just completed the game, and seeing how there's only Chapter 1, maybe the "beep box" isn't even relevant for this demo/Chapter 1? Did you think about that?

And also this game was like a fart in the wind. How far from Iji has Remar fallen.

I'm afraid of that, but I also wonder if there's just something I'm missing.

Sorry for getting your hopes up, it's not an Iji or Hyper Princess Pitch. Apparently it took him seven years to release this single chapter, clearly a side project for fun. On the bright side, after he released this, he was motivated to start working on a new MASSIVE update to Iji, and it's coming real soon. BIG LEAGUE. Weapons now have non-lethal modes, everybody's faster, and there are two new endings. Here's the changelog if you've played Iji before (with medium spoilers): remar.se/daniel/misc/iji_changelog.txt

I'm guessing the two new endings are going to be legit Pacifist and Genocide endings. Thanks Undertale.

Alright. I'm going to make a whole list of all the possible combinations and spend god knows how long to try each one. Maybe after enough tries, I can figure out how it works before I need to fill the whole thing out, but I have all the time that I need. Wish me luck.

You realize that's over 65,000 possibilities, right? Don't do that

This should be an obvious question, but you have tried the same combination twice in a row, right? There's always the possibility that it's randomized and you're banging your head against a wall for nothing. Like if
UUUU_UUUU = RLDL
but it doesn't give you RLDL when you input it a second time, it could be informative

Because the only discernible pattern I see here is in the second block of attempts where the last two outputs are always the same symbol

Think of it as a last resort that I'm stockpiling in the meantime. I have nothing better to do, anyway.

Good idea checking, but it looks like I get the same result with no randomization. I'd have died on the spot if that were the case.

This

Okay you were right this is taking too long

By the three hour mark since I started, I'll have only made it to 1/4 of listing all of the possible combinations, and that's before even putting them in. I'm just gonna post the first 20 for now, and I'll keep looking for a pattern.

What I want to see is the change per character per spot. It's probable that each character is assigned a unique numerical value depending on its position and it would be easier to see the pattern if you weren't changing four entire positions like you did here on every attempt. Like
UUUU UUUU
DUUU UUUU
LUUU UUUU
RUUU UUUU
And then try to see which characters in which positions in the result get affected

Okay, how's this?

I think I'm gonna throw up

Hold on, I just had a thought.

If the arrows represent numbers, then maybe they're like the arrows on a keyboard's numpad. 4 is left, 8 is up, 6 is right, and 2 is down.

Holy shit, you can use the numpad's arrow keys to move and input, too.

So then that first few rows would really read
8888 8888 = 6424
8888 8886 = 4624
8888 8882 = 6226
8888 8884 = 4424
Still not seeing an obvious mathematical pattern but you're probably on the right track

Were the other puzzles in the game up until this point this tough, because this seems like it would be a pretty steep difficulty spike to me

4444 _ 4444 = 6424?

64 is 8 times 8, and 24 is 8 times 3…

Okay repeatedly typing letters in notepad must have really fucked me up

There's nothing like this that I've come across. The games this kind of dialogue-driven adventure-platformer… thing. There's another item just like this but it's an actual game, plays like a Game & Watch, pretty fun.

Anyway, let me rephrase what I said.
So it's 8888 _ 8888 = 6424.

If it's like this, then enough cross-referencing will make this a lot easier to figure out. Here's those first four and the next 8:

8888 8888 = 6424
8888 8886 = 4624
8888 8882 = 6226
8888 8884 = 4424
8888 8868 = 8242
8888 8866 = 4268
8888 8862 = 2482
8888 8864 = 2622

I mean next 4 I swear I'm not like this ever