What Happened to DoTs?

Why is the concept of damage over time becoming so rare in video games? On top of that, why are debuffs also becoming so predictable in nature? It seems like these things just keep getting shunted for whatever reason and it also seems players hate them for whatever reason. What's wrong with wanting to gradually melt the opponent's HP?

Are there any games out there that allow me to get my fix on poisoning folk until they are wide open for finishing blow?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/6dxICJHd518
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Sneks are adorable.
I think dominions 4 has the best DoT/statuses. Foul Vapors is a spell that applies I think 5 poison damage to 50% of the battlefield every turn. At first you see the green ones popping up here and then and you don't think it's that big a deal, but after five or six turns the whole fields is covered in green 1s and 2s and everythings dropping like flies. Good shit.
There's also decay, which isn't damage over time, but age over time, every turn the victim ages I think five years, and the only way to prevent it is like a 5% chance of rolling, just ROLLING an MRN save vs either 10 or 12, I can't remember if it's hard to resist. It doesn't even end when the battle is declared finished, the battle continues playing in super high speed empty turns until everyone with decay has either passed their 5% roll to save or died from literal old age.

I can't think of a single example of games taking out DoTs. can you provide some?

Basically from what I've seen it's more of a deal where games are just not adding it as a concept anymore. This is especially shown in pvp games for some reason. I've read that folk just think applying a DoT is considered "unfair" and folk just stop catering to such to appease these lowest common denominators.

I mean just look at what happened to Dark Souls. In the second game, poison was an extremely viable build. Now it's back to being a silly gimmick in three (save for toxic which can only be applied through a spell or thrown item).

Are you sure it actually is and it isn't just that you haven't played a MMORPG in a long time?

Darkest Dungeon has DOTs
ARMA with ACE medical has DOTs (via bleed)
Path of Exile has DOTs
Doesn't every ASSFAGGOTS have DOTs? never played one but have seen footage of a guy running away and dying while away from the enemy
Final Fantasy has DOTs
TES games have DOTs
FO:NV has DOTs I'm guessing 4 does too

It seems to me you are just mistakenly thinking that DOTs were more common in the past than they are now, they have never been particular popular as a design choice outside of RPGs.

I can't think of a single PvP game that has good poison.
Its always some combination of

A) Low chance to proc for below 100% chance to apply poison
B)Attacks that have 100% for applying poison are easy to avoid
C)Poison is so easy to cure its not worth using
D) Poison does so little damage its not worth using

Its only unfair when its done in retarded amount of quantities. WoW was like that with warlocks, massive fuck ton of damage over time, with protection from dispels.

Guild Wars. Poison is a minor degen but most application of it is really easy to apply, so you can for example use a skill such as Apply Poison that makes all your attacks add the poisoned condition. You then sequentially attack each enemy, and in a very short period of time you've applied degen to the entire enemy party, probably in greater quantity than their monk can really afford to deal with.

This is a small amount of pressure but it's typically potent enough to be worth doing, especially since it only takes a single skill on your bar and doesn't interfere with actively interrupting for the rest of your build.

tl;dr good pressure condition if you bother to spread it widely

I have already listed a couple of MP games with DOTs but as that is your primary focus World of Warships has DOTs in the form of fire.
I don't play many MP games but if it has bleed or fire it's a DOT by any other name.

RO2 has DOTs in the form of bleed.

I guess you could play Grindfarm
The status effects like fire, slash and poison are probably the most infuriating thing to deal with in this game along with the dispeling bubble douchebags and the Ancient Healers/Corrupted Ancients.

And Rust, DayZ, 7 Days to Die, Gears of War…..

ball pythons are so hecking cute
ops pic looks like super lesser morphs

And S.T.A.L.K.E.R.

Is GW2 still shit? It was one of the only games I knew that had a way to just sit back and watching things be melted by conditions.

But goddamn is it shit.
Literally the only reason I played was because I could just watch mobs melt.

As far as I know it's still garbage since it's got fundamental design flaws. Get Guild Wars instead. Guild Wars is still really fun.

One of the only good things about that shitheap yes, along with burning down fauna with a flamethrower (which is actually not that good) and throwing metric tons of grenades around like a maniac. That and synergies between certain movement or distance based abilities and lingering AoE areas (shooting a bow through a wall of fire would make them deal fire damage, charging through a mesmer invisibility field would give you an invisibility bubble) are probably the few things one could steal from that game really.

Damage over time is hard to balance. You can measure it in DPS but there are external factors to consider; the ability to apply/stack it versus removing/avoiding it, resistances, kiting and other outcomes of a play style that encourages placing an effect on someone once every so often, rather than doing a big lump of damage.

no one actually balances games you silly.

Path of Exile's entire meta is basically "How can I get the most damage out of DoTs applied from my direct damage hits?" right now. Granted this only really applies on bosses, since you can one-shot most trash pretty easily these days.

The OP's question is silly, for a vast many reasons. Instead of wondering why DoT's have seemingly vanished from games, since they have not, we should instead discuss the best type of DoTs.

Do you prefer your DoTs to do constant draining damage, or apply in chunks every x seconds? And, of course, do you like your DoTs to be lethal or nonlethal?

Former camp myself, to both questions. While seeing chunks of HP drop out of their lifebars every few seconds is fun, it's much better to see a constant drain as they slowly, desperately, waste valuable time trying to heal/dispel themselves through the drain. Extra bonus points if you can stack poisons and the drain just accelerates exponentially.

DOT IS A MEME

lmao yur a meme kido

I prefer constant drain and lethal but hate any build that is primarily DOTs. I find I'm just watching timers and sticking to a very basic rotation to maintain my highest DPS DOT and any buff / debuff to increase it's effectiveness.

Many moons ago I rolled a warlock in WoW only to drop it after ~50 hours of raiding due to boredom.

buffing/debuffing tends to be more balanced in most RPGs
like you get games where you can poison your openent its either OP or pointless or even worse pointless and doesnt even work on bosses

I'm more curious about the life-long inability for RPGs to properly manage status conditions as something more than a slight annoyance for players.

Think about it: Since when have Status Effects ever been remotely useful in RPGs? Most bosses are outright immune to them. The rest are often so spotty and ineffective that you'd never waste the time casting them on a random encounter.. not to mention that random encounters are usually specifically tuned to be just weak enough for you to spam-attack through them, so what's the point in trying to put an enemy to sleep or poison them when any other spell or basic attack will be more useful?

I feel you, for the most part. If it's a build that does absolutely nothing but dot-damage, and buffs/debuffs to increase said damage, then it's fucking boring. At that point you're just being an unorthodox DPS-build, and playing DPS is always gay as fuck and for children.

Where the fun of playing these types comes is unorthodox support. Stat-debuffs, paralysis, stuns, etc etc, with DoT-damage being only one of the tools in your repertoire. I find those super fun as HELL. There's just nothing better than debilitating and crippling the capabilities of any enemy you come across while your bros take care of the rest.

I have always preferred reactionary gameplay where something unexpected happens and you have to do what you can to handle it.
It's these snap decisions between debuffing, neutralizing, distracting or killing that keep battled interesting for me.

I tend to stick to tank classes but love having a bleed and crowd control so I can apply a DOT then remove them from the fight so they are weaker when they return.

South Park: Stick of Truth let's you put DoT-effects on your enemies. And it's probably the most effective way to win that game.

Titanfall 2 has burning throwing stars and fire grenades that will deal damage over time if stuck to an enemy.

Overwatch has two characters with damage over time attacks

Well designed bosses have ads that you can disable - sleep, stun, etc or mechanics were you might have to use CC.

Shitty bosses like gw2 early design have a giant meatball with a ton of HP that only DPS matters

I came for sneks, post sneks

Play dota

It's less thinking of a game with DoTs and more an RPG that really utilizes buffs and debuffs.
Half of them have some cool ideas, but they're pointless to apply because you can kill the enemy before you even get any use out of them, or it's a boss monster and they're immune to every debuff under the sun and there's no point to try.
The last game I can think of to do it well was any of the Final Fantasy Tactics games.

Lethal DoTs are the only way, nonlethality is just there to counterbalance extremely high DoT, as in the case of venomancer's nova.
Doesn't matter if it's in chunks or constant either, as long as you can stack that shit and make them take absurd damage every second/tick, like poison in Dominions.

I liked the warlock and shadow priest in that game. But I find myself taking advantage of the concept to damage multiple enemies simultaneously. Single target DoT'ing feels unideal.

I want my damage and I want it now

Instant gratification

call GG wentworth. 877 BURSTNOW

Then again people complain when the last boss of X can be killed through Zombie + Life/Phoenix down.

For Honor has DoTs.

Bringing a ubisoft game up because it is AAA and the most recent large release.

Don't remember how it is in the original SNES versions, but the DS remake of FFIV lets you apply debuffs to bosses, particularly Slow, which felt like a heavy necessity just so I could get off things like Shell and Barrier on my party and often Haste and Regen.
Don't think I'm under-leveled, but random encounters on the moon felt like a high spike in terms of difficulty, often requiring the aforementioned list of spells to be cast, and quickly, to avoid death.

youtu.be/6dxICJHd518

I wish more games let you abuse their system to layer buffs and stack things you shouldn't stack to create ridiculously broken characters. Particularly skills that trigger procs that trigger cooldowns that cycle back into themselves. Extra points if you can get around diminishing return mechanics somehow.

The more cryptic and obscure the system the more satisfying it is.

Path of Exile is pretty neat for it

Etrian Odyssey 4 has some pretty nice poison damage, and you can even boost it to do even more damage or combo it with an ability to spread it to all enemies.

There's also hexers who can force enemies to kill themselves or their allies which is pretty nice but other than that there's no more DoTs that I know of.

Which ones? Ana and Widowmaker?

>you will never meticulously spoil your baby dotlock until it develops into an unliving god in alterac valley ever again

But in order for it to be "good poison" it has to be at least one of the things you listed. Anything else is just OP cancer. DoT is for low skill retards who want to take the rewards of consistently dealing damage from just one single hit. DoT removes skill. The fact that only low-skill babies want powerful DoT is even shown here
Get fucking good and learn to hit the enemy.

are you talking about the moon surface or the subterranean? I know this comment is late but yes the DS remake of 4 is bullshit with a lot of the random encounters and nothing like the original at all.

You literally melted people. DSII poison was overtuned but I and III were undertuned.

Who gives a fuck about cooldowns or mana requirements when everyone is terrified of your gargantuan dick damage.

What the hell are you talking about? Even the most mainstream normalfag RPGs like Witcher, Dragon Age and Fallout 4 have DOTs in form of Poison and Bleeding.