La mulana 2

Is this vaporware? Any anons here that can share what the backer feedback from the devs has been on kickstarter if not?

The first game was so insanely dense, I don't know how they're going to be able to top it without it feeling samey. I'm concerned about the very similar looking…everything (like Doom 2 to Doom). Looks like they're potentially reusing a shitload of assets

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=5vhpNIT_Hes
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

I feel you. It's really hard to develop puzzles that are solved by lateral thinking. Hopefully they're taking their time to think of good puzzles and are not just adding filler to pad out the game because they can't think of any. I expect some back-/side-tracking, as that is a defining feature of their level and puzzle design, but I don't want to 100% follow some generic Metroidvania pattern: Go deep into a dungeon, get an item that allows me to progress deeper into another, and repeat that process until the end. Maximize the time the player spends figuring out how to go deeper and minimize what they need to do so.

That's not a big deal in my book if it means that the game gets shipped.

It's still in development.

We've lately been getting lore posts about each of the different children (second being the giants, fourth being the fish/fishmen).

They were releasing playable tech demos a while back but they have stopped that as I believe they have the engine in place and are actively working on the game content now. They said they didn't want to post too much about the game or provide releasable content as I think it's at a point where game content could get spoiled.

Personally, I read the project updates now and again when they come across each week, but I just forget the game is in development and I will just enjoy it when it's done. There's other games to tide me over until it's complete anyway.

It's not vaporware because there hasn't been calls for investment. This isn't "Let's bait some more people at E3 who have money about Duke Nuke again this year, Rick."

How many years has it been? 3? It is going to take them 3+ years to make a 2D metroidvania when they already have the experience of making 2 others?

True, although the original was guilty of a switch being flipped often changing something miles away that you just wouldn't be able to guess without a guide or luck or blind stumbling around half the time.

Some of the puzzles were insanely obtuse and nebulous, but generally well crafted. The evidence for solving them was for the most part at least somewhere.

I worry that in 2 they will either recycle a lot of those ideas or go even more obtuse to the point of being flat out ridiculous.

Same enemies, locations types, weapons and items would feel more like a a rom hack than a new game.

It was supposed to come out a year or two ago.

The demo looked great, then they decided to start over on Unity, and the alpha took like three steps back. I hope they're working on it, but I'm already losing hope.

What 3 things would you want to keep the same and what 3 would you want to change?

What the fuck, why? The engine they had before was absolutely fine, ran on just about any hardware made in the last ten (probably more) years, maybe needed a few tweaks (like widescreen, which they were adding anyway), but it was a fine engine. Why replace it with that bloated pos? The only thing I can think of is that it's easier and faster for them to work with or something like that.

The original La Mulana took 5.

The Unity demo had some shifting and rotating level geometry. I'm just gonna assume the old engine was way too spaghetti coded to allow for any changes like that.

Keep Chakram
Keep Loads (wood blocks to put on switches)
Keep Warping at save points

1.Change the fact something changed far away when you do something local, at least map software for it or something
2.Change the way the mirror dungeon works, there was nothing that made sense to me about the lower right portion of the map. It was the place with the Indian music.
3. Change the movement system, add the ability to dash/slide/doublejump

Ok I guess I'll sit for two more. I don't know if I'll live that long though.

Are you sure that wasn't the first game? If they're doing all this work after switching the engine that means they were almost done but they showed so little gameplay.

I found the restrictive movement to be a good thing. Youre an explorer not a vampire killer, after all.

So like the conch but specific cases. Might be cool. Could go either way. Solved by not having bullshit puzzles (eg warp pipe teleports) and not randomly doing everything

How about the conch is softer if something is done far away and you have software that can pick up certain frequencies so you can set it to low for doors and pillars or high for conch. It will be confusing at first like "wtf, did I just hear a puzzle solve far away?" but then you find the software (not too long after you hear that) and it makes sense.

They're a 2-man team, aren't they? 3 years seems very short for a 2-man team to release a game on the scale of La-Mulana. I'd expect 6-10.

I'm mostly fine with the formula, and wouldn't mind it even if La-Mulana 2 turned out to just be a route-swap of La-Mulana. If someone put out a randomizer mod for La-Mulana I'd probably never stop playing it, but the interconnectedness of everything is probably way too complex for anything like that to ever work.

So my main hope is just that they maintain the complexity of their animated backgrounds. La-Mulana had something like 15 individual animated background layers, which conveyed information independently for things like puzzles, lore or subtle indicators like a gear turning up in the corner of the screen where before it was still.
That level of attention to detail is so fucking good.

They've already done more or less the same idea in the first one, there's an audio cue either from the left or right speaker/headphone depending on where a puzzle was activated. I personally can't think of any part where a device was activated across the map without any logical connection, there's always some environmental or textual clue that connects the two

3-man

1. Keep the Old Man
2. Keep the Grail
3. Keep the program management system

1. Hire a better translator. Many of the puzzles in the first game were obtuse because of bad translations.
2. Change movement physics
3. Add mod tools if enough people buy the game

I'd like for there to be more movement options, but I absolutely want them to keep the locked-momentum so you have to git gud at jumping or fall down a meticulous 3-room vertical climb. That shit is a more delicious punishment than even dying.

Amen, motherfucker.
For me, the worst was always Shrine of the Goddess, since the first time I discovered that place I did so by, against all odds, tripping balls-first into the Gate of Time and then finding the secret ladder shortcut that lead to the top of the left tower.
I had no idea what I was doing, and it took me damn near 3 hours worth of attempts to fully explore that place in the silence and dark before accepting that I wasn't supposed to be there yet.
There's nothing quite like maintaining a careful mental map of an invisible landscape, and then getting smacked by something else invisible and falling three blank screens.

On a first playthrough? Man, I know I found the Gate of Time but it was a while before I found the secret passage

Speaking of which, is the user who was having trouble with that puzzle here? I replayed it this week and I remembered what the issue was, you need to use the eternity key on the eternity symbol. Don't know why it didn't come back to me at the time

I had a key fairie following me for some reason, probably through a grail teleport from another zone, and it opened the door as I was battling some sneks. That was a mind fuck and a half, I tell you hwat.

That was me, you mean the faint symbol in the middle of the hole? God damn it that seems obvious considering the rest of the puzzles in the chamber but I just figured that was there because you fall forever.

So did I, but the infinity symbol doesn't appear until after you do the thing with the dragon bone and maternity statue. You probably just shelved the game for too long and forgot

Thanks for the help, now I can finally kill for real these fucks I've been grinding for money with this sick new shield and make maybe an hour of progress before I get stuck at something else.

Ha ha ha FUCK

Looks like you're missing one of the children of Tiamat. BETTER GO SOLVE THAT PUZZLE :^)

I have no fucking idea where they tablets are but, you have to scan 4 rooms in a particular order.

Yeah this one requires a bit of work and would require a lot of explanation, but you're on your own this time, explorer

If it's any consolation you're practically done with the game, one last guardian and then a very extended and complicated puzzle to reach the final boss

>scan
Come on, that would be too easy

I don't know how I could be practically done when I still have to finish Chamber of Extinction and Twin Labyrinth, find all the Mantras, and do some other shit.

Have fun with that boss, user, and may Mother have mercy on your soul.

Oh well then you have a ways to go, I just assumed you were nearly done since the Dimensional Corridor is the eighth zone, and you would have had to do some stuff in the Shrine of the Mother and the Twin Labyrinths to get there anyway

Tiamat's not that bad once you learn how to deal with her third phase

I barely scraped through her after about two hours worth of attempts.
I've still never beaten her in Rose & Camilia & Mulbruk.

Lemeza should have join up with her and taken the 9th child after killing Mother.

I surprise that Lemeza didn't just flip the fuck out after he lost the treasure after SAVING the world, become a terrorist and being hunted down while the rest of the people either sold out or enjoying the riches that he earn.

I expect the female protag of the sequel to be lemeza sister….born of his GF/wife when his father and his gf/wife cheated on him.

I don't know how to avoid her laser without cheesing iframes

It's his daughter

I don't know if you can, consistently anyway. I think I managed to jump over her once. Once.

I know most people use the caltrops but I think it's just as easy to get i-frames off of her elbow

we don't know that. they say it could be his sister or daughter.

I think it's both in the worst way possible.

Boss Rush mode, while tedious because of all the waiting after killing the guardians, doesn't give you caltrops.

SO, it's possible but hard

You can do that by jumping as far up as you can on one side and switching sides as fast as you can. Possible, but there really is no reason to do that because cheese is more reliable.

The game is a motherfucker, not Lemeza. I think she's only named Lumisa so Samieru gets a backwards-name in the game anyway

Have some of the recent Kickstarter updates, anons…

Some more…

More…

The art from Update 156…

These devs are amazing.

Well, the dev team is like 3 dudes and a fourth dude who does shit occasionally. Go figure.

This was a great read, thanks user.

YES

youtube.com/watch?v=5vhpNIT_Hes

Best song?

Why didn't you just embed it?
Anyway, I like this track since it's got a real "technology" feel to it, and it plays alongside the reveal of the most anachronistic mindfuck in the game - the Tower of the Goddess filled with ancient TV screens and computers everywhere intermingled with ancient stone monuments. It's not the best music by itself, but I think it has a hell of an impact.

It's either this or Grand History, although personally I prefer the remake's arrangement of Grand History, there was something really off about the tempo in the original version of that song. Best boss theme is Interstice of the Dimension, there's no way around that

Embed relating. Hearing this with the lava firing up in the background really pushes you up.

Honorary mentions for the Gates of Illusion BGM.

Honorable mentions to Palenque and Mother's music, though

I fucking love me some Giants Rage