Pokemon: Gale of Darkness

Has anyone played this, is it any good? I didn't even knew it existed until today since i didn't own a Gamecube back then its entire library slipped through for me (except for Melee)

it's apparently the 3D pokemon game everyone claims they want. I dunno, I don't like pokemon - and I think the gamecube is one of the weakest consoles of all time, but I think if either of those appeal to you - you'll find something to enjoy with that game.

Not really since you couldn't actually catch pokemon in the game. Other than that one area, but that shit don't count.

I enjoyed it back in the day, but haven't replayed it.

I'm just repeating what I've heard, I don't play pokemon games - but have heard those that like it pitch gale of darkness like that.

I would kill for another GameCube quality console

check out the wii and wii u and n64, they all had about as many games as each other. With the obvious weak link being the wii u.

I have no enthusiasm for nintendo post-SNES.

the only thing I remember it doing better than Colosseum was improving Mirror B.'s theme.

I can see not liking N64 era Nintendo since they didn't have much to offer, but how can you dislike their experimental games in the GC era?

I think they are alright. I think a lot of them don't push their ideas as far as they can go, and this is training wheels era nintendo, where each successive game got more condescending with their tutorials and introductions. I like giftpia, cubivore and chibi robo, they are fine but they don't strike out like some of the other "odd" games on competing platforms like mister mosquito, stretch panic, cookie & cream, magatama, rez, JSRF, Dennou Taisen DroneZ, thousand land, etc.

It's actually a sequel. Pokemon Colosseum had a similar story mode.
The main draw of those games was getting Pokemon you couldn't easily get in the games at the time, and getting Pokemon with unique moves.
By themselves, they're 3D Pokemon games without random encounters (but still plenty of trainers to fight). Also, they have pretty good music.

I like Pokemon XD

It's a sequel to pokemon colosseum like this user says but you don't need to play the first one to enjoy this one. Like most other pokemon games there are rare overlaps but mostly this is just fine. What makes this pokemon game different from any generic mobile title is as follows.

Shadow pokemon are basically corrupted versions of normal pokemon,(for instance, you can have a Shadow Lugia like in the box art) shadow pokemon are different in the following ways.They have access to shadow moves which are supereffective against any pokemon that is no another shadow pokemon. They will sometimes reach a "hyperactive state" which they will not be able to do anything unless you calm them down. They can't level up, they can't evolve, delete moves or learn new moves. Shadow pokemon can be purified to be normal pokemon again and do normal pokemon things.

If you like normal pokemon games you can reasonably expect to like this one, however, that depends on which part of pokemon games do you like the best. If you like fighting the criminal organization and melodrama. This game is for you, all you do in this game, explicitly, is fight the criminal organization. if like gyms, catching pokemon in the wild, training pokemon in the wild, breeding pokemon, or anything competetive, you may not like it.

XD

I remember the move animations taking forever. If you do play it, use fast forward or something.

>>>/reddit/

Fuck I passed out once they went into 2Dspace, what happened to ROB?

Every single thread.

Well early in XD when all you have is an Eevee you have single battles.

Actually this makes me wonder if the reason double battles are viewed more fondly than other alternative battle types in pokemon may be due to these games. Like if there was a full 3D game where every fight was a rotation battle then people might actually like them.

On rotation battles, I would like them more if I could actually participate in them outside of the shitty Battle-X places with no-fun-allowed premades. I was pleasantly surprised Black2/White2 actually had more than just fucking singles in the main story.

I liked it when I played it on release, but the battles are slow as fuck. Unless you're really into Pokemon and want to spend a lot of time with a console game, feel free to pass.

Oh yeah and, I don't think anyone has mentioned the ridiculous NPC names. For whatever reason, the devs decided to give the characters the most retarded names that couldn't possibly exist in real life. Just snort or chortle and you've probably uttered the name of one of the trainers in this game.

I suppose you could be right about why people like double battles but I think some modes are just completely fucking retard. Sky battles are complete cancer.

what the fuck was gamefreak thinking.

Well yeah, mainly because after it there wasn't a single good console.

Oh there's a romhack for Gale of Darkness that makes it a lot harder, adds some newer gen stuff, adds a physical/special split and some other stuff. Pretty neat.

This game was outsourced to Genius Sorority

now there is an oxymoron.
Is it run by women?

Sky battles aren't in XD user, they're in X and Y and Sun and Moon.

Does it have Reshiram in it?

Good lord

That guy made far worse things

I have. It's kinda fun except for a few thing. You can't catch pokemon in the wild, instead you trap them by placing food at certain spots and then waiting for an alarm to go off at that point you rush over and battle them. You can however catch other peoples pokemon. The story was enjoyable and there's a lot of Colosseum fights.

It's Genius Sonority, with an N. Colosseum and XD were quite good but then the studio got stuck making the pokemon match-3 game for mobile.

This is why eugenics should be a thing.