Why does ANYONE think it's okay to charge more than $20 for a computer game?

Why does ANYONE think it's okay to charge more than $20 for a computer game?
I wouldn't even pay $20 for an "amazing" game.

Other urls found in this thread:

fineleatherjackets.net/monkeyinflation
slashfilm.com/average-us-movie-ticket-price/
webcache.googleusercontent.com/search?q=cache:ob1yRf1uLLQJ:www.nbcnews.com/id/3078404/ns/technology_and_science-games/t/top-video-games-may-soon-cost-more/ &cd=12&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=us#.WLIaLDsrJPY
hollywood-movies.yoexpert.com/movies/what-is-the-average-movie-budget-for-a-hollywood-m-1403.html
theblacksphere.net/2017/02/trump-slashes-12-billion-debt-first-month/
mpaa.org/wp-content/uploads/2016/04/MPAA-Theatrical-Market-Statistics-2015_Final.pdf
the-numbers.com/market/2015/top-grossing-movies
unesco.org/new/en/social-and-human-sciences/themes/international-migration/glossary/poverty/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

dubs

I'd pay 20bux to see shit threads like yours fuck off forever.

I'm done with you fucking kikes destroying my board.
>>>/reddit/
>>>/bog/
>>>/oven/

What bothers me more than games being expensive, it's that the prices don't drop over time for digital games.

fineleatherjackets.net/monkeyinflation

Inflation, the FED prints out goybux like there's no tomorrow so prices go up in reaction. Expenses to create videogames went up so they have to compensate for that as well, this is especially relevant with AAA titles, even though for AAA titles about half of the expenses go into marketing, not actually creating the game. Finally, the consumers are partly to blame as well, since kids and morons pay full price for the new AssCreed or FIFA or whatever every time there's a new release as soon as it comes out, it sends the message to publishers that they're doing the right thing.

What do you think it's okay to charge more than $10 for a computer game, you fucking retard?

It's not your board, cuckchan crossposter.

Is it possible to unfuck inflation?

Oh you can charge whatever you want for it , just doesn't mean that i'll pay it

Do you need some cream for that butthurt?

Pathetic

you can do better than that surely

You're getting some shit OP, but let me just explain it with a couple pieces of data. Activision Blizzard is worth 33 billion dollars. They also employ 9000 people.

charging big bux for vidya has been common practice since the 70s, in fact games are cheaper now than they've ever been before
3/10 bait got me to reply

free content has been added consistently, game is still supported, servers still running.

The answer can be found in your image, OP.

If you ever pay full price for a game, you're a fool.

They were expensive because the cartridges cost approximately one trillion dollars per unit to produce.

It makes me sad every time I see a US $20.

Like what, a new story ar an expansion? or trivial bullshit like costumes and bug fixes in multiplayer? Because if it's the latter it hardly justifies the fixed price.

Among a few other reasons. Basically AAA keeps needlessly driving up it's own costs, if you want $20 games that are good you gotta sift through the indie shit pile for the diamonds. Go check out Hollow Knight. It just came out, it's really good Metroidvania with nice, cute art style and great boss fights. Only $15

It's a lot of multiplayer stuff, including new missions that take place in their own little storylines. I think it also added new vehicles, weapons and cosmetics with all of those updates. Don't play the game, just my brother talks to me about it sometimes, so don't take my word as gospel.

I hope you don't ever check out the Nintendo eShop or physical copies of their games.
Fire Emblem awakening is 5 years old and is the same price since launch at both stores and fucking DIGITAL downloads

So they added trivial bullshit that's only for multiplayer. Tell me again how this justifies the price staying at $60 and would incentivize me to pay that much for a game that I might or might not enjoy.

Yeah it's bullshit and I wouldn't buy it unless it was on sale for

I use freeshop. The only physical games I have is Senran, a bunch of dungeon crawlers, and Kirby, The only one I payed more than $20 was senran.
I well understand how much Nintendo is full of jews and Have basically been pirating for the most part on my 3DS and Wii U. Hell, I remember still seeing Brawl sell for $60 last time I saw it at wally world.

Hope you buy their consoles second hand too, they're also jews in terms of hardware

it's spelled "existence"

People don't want to to think about inflation. In 2004 a game was 50 bucks. In today's money its about 60 bucks. You can still argue it's too much for a game, but that's what a free market is for. You don't need to buy the game. I understand not wanted to spend a lot on games, but 20 for a AAA game? You're out of touch. Not since the NES has a big game been that low.

If you can find a good indie game ( something harder and harder to do these days) they're mostly under 20.

Holla Forums in a nutshell:
Gosh I can't understand why companies charge money for their products. I deserve their newest games but they don't deserve over an hour of minimum wage labor. No, they're the Jews; I'm the one with the moral high ground. Piracy, ho!

Stupid poorfag Reds. This thread deserves to slide off the board.

This. Todd Howard did nothing wrong.

FREE
CONTENT

THANKS ROCKSTAR OF DAVID

It's market forces or whatever. As long as enough people are willing to pay $60, companies are going to continue to charge $60. What I'd like to see is a big punlisher release a game for $50 during the holiday season, screwing over all the other publishers' sales and inadvertantly starting a trend where companies have to adjust their prices to stay competitive.

I don't give a shit if a game is priced higher than what OP stated, I just want something worth that content.
Most games nowadays cannot justify the price tag they request, especially when they're all padded with additional DLC that's clearly been held back since day one or in development before the game was even released.

In addition I care if a game is old and hasn't dropped in price. Especially if it's a digital game, which the excuse of "limited availability" does not cover.

$20's alright. Your shit thread is not.

Yes, that's how inflation works. There's literally the term of deflation.

Because people are willing to pay.

This

$600 aint shit to Chad Warden aight. Chad Warden wipes his ass with $600. Nigga I'd pay you $600 just to shut the hell up.

HEY CHAD!
More like the pee pee 3. :^)

Jackson wouldn't even wanna be on the 20 dollar bill

video games are not excludable and therefore (among other reasons) not property, so if you pay money for an already existing video game it is either charity or fraud, and if you pay money for a video game that dosnt exist it is either a commission or fraud.

so unless its part of a commission or charity then any amount of money is too much.

FCC also said tough titties, it's law now. :^)
Also, the FCC Killed Bozo's Big Top Circus.

Yes.

Is Tubman even on the 20? I'm still seeing Jacksons.

So when they're going to replace I.M. meen with Bix Nood?

Never, king nigger spent too much time trying to unfuck his legacy while attacking Trump every time his handlers told him to.

It takes me less than an hour to make $20.

How much is your time worth?

Well said, Robin

user there are first party Nintendo Wii games that are still selling for full launch price. At MOST you'll see a price drop of 10$ on first party Nintendo stuff that's been out 5+ years unless they reprint the game under their "Greatest Hits" collection, but then your stuck with that atrocious box art.
It's fucking bullshit the only Kirby game i'm missing in my library is Return to Dreamland, but i'm not paying 40 dollarydoos for a seven year old game on a dead console.

Here's a reply to you user.
more than 5000 people have worked on those very long, very shiny, very expensive veediou gaims.
They have to get payed somehow and the company has to also make a profit, so charging just $20 isn't going to cut it. They need 3 times $20, sometimes more.

Because people are willing to pay that much.

No matter how much you piss and moan like an incompetent fool. The suits will not be persuaded by your evergreen captions which denote obvious insinuations on this mongolian tapestry wall.

only games i've ever felt glad i bought were metal gear rising and m&b
revengeance was like 4 euro, warband was 1
and i've played both to death
anything else that costs more and at the same time doesn't give me hundreds of hours of fun is not a good game
CK2 costed more, but i've spent lots of hours being autistic on that, so i consider it good

The average price for a movie ticket in America in 2016 was about 9 dollars[1]
The average price for a console game in America is about 50 dollars [2]
The average movie budget is 140 million dollars [3]
The average video game budget is 60 million dollars [4]

Do video games cost too fucking much?
absolutely!

citations
[1] slashfilm.com/average-us-movie-ticket-price/

[2] webcache.googleusercontent.com/search?q=cache:ob1yRf1uLLQJ:www.nbcnews.com/id/3078404/ns/technology_and_science-games/t/top-video-games-may-soon-cost-more/ &cd=12&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=us#.WLIaLDsrJPY

[3] hollywood-movies.yoexpert.com/movies/what-is-the-average-movie-budget-for-a-hollywood-m-1403.html
[4] Fuck this shit just Google it the first result was fucking Kotaku

But there are more movie goers than there are video game players.

that probably means your waifus are shit.

ayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy
theblacksphere.net/2017/02/trump-slashes-12-billion-debt-first-month/

top jej

A very dubious claim. The best selling console games are all around 50 million units sold. And each video game sold can have more than one person playing it. And thats just 50 million willing to pay 50 dollars to play it. Much cheaper mobile games can have 100 million downloads or more but gross much less do to them being cheaper

For perspective, there was approximately 240 million movie goers in the United States and Canada for the entire year of 2015. Each of those people could easily have seen more than one movie. The highest grossing movie of 2015 was Star Wars The Force Awakens that sold roughly 89 million tickets.
sources;
mpaa.org/wp-content/uploads/2016/04/MPAA-Theatrical-Market-Statistics-2015_Final.pdf
the-numbers.com/market/2015/top-grossing-movies

Keep in mind what I said, each video game sold can have more than one person playing it. Each movie ticket sold is sold to only a single individual. I unfortunately could not get a reliable source on total gamers per household because all the sources I found said shit like "60 percent of survey respondents were women"

Also, excuse the double-post, but those 89 million movie tickets sold for Star Wars represent worldwide totals not out of the 240 million aforementioned movie goers in just 2 countries. Over seas markets are making bigger and bigger impacts on the American movie industry nowadays

ive spent more money on things people would call me insane for but i just pirate vidya if i want to play it that bad and its more than 10 bucks
even then the only time id buy a game is to show devs appreciation, but i dont appreciate any gamedev comapny eough to give them more than $10

I think you're comparing apples and oranges here.

That's the gross amount of ticket sale, sure. But not everyone goes to see movies in the cinema, some just rent a DVD and see it back home, not to mention Netflix and similar. Measuring the total amount of people participating in the movie industry as clients is a very hard task but I'm sure it's still a huge number.

Meanwhile, videogames sales are not as easily quantified since it's often the number of units shipped that's relayed. Those make it to Gamestop and similars, but it doesn't mean they are actually sold.
And mobile players barely count, that'd be like counting watching comercials as watching a movie.

However, I do recall some study done where more people actually play videogames than go see movies, I wish I had saved it.
It's indeed a growing industry and bound to be more sucessfull than cinema since it's an interactive medium and social as well for multiplayer games.

Why is Jackson doing "where do you think are we now" expression?

and this mentality is why steam sales and bundle sales are the reason why the race to the bottom is now stronger with indies now than ever

I didn't make the image fag and even if i did i
I'm too lazy to fix it anyway

some were but $80+ AAA titles were still a thing
back in the NES-N64 days it was much cheaper to develop the game itself but you had to wrangle with the cost of cartridges
in our times distribution costs are going lower and lower but the cost of developing the game is going up instead
either way, games were and still are expensive

This is why there are fewer games on pc.

The prices only drop when the sequels come out or during holiday sales

check em

Disposable income OP.

It's the future. Gaming as a service, Pay2win bullshit.

The mobile market sounds like what you want, video games cost less than $20 there.

yeah right, mexico and chile are doing better

Then don't buy them. I don't. I almost never buy new games.

If I am to ever make games am I allowed to add a donation button Holla Forums? I think the funds can help with finding professionals and improving the game in general

sell merch instead

Movie Ticket: 9$ for roughly 2 hours of entertainment.
9/2 = 4.5$ per hour of entertainment

Video Game: 50$ for roughly 15 hours of entertainment.
50/15 = 3.33$ per hour of entertainment

(Obviously game length varies a ton but bear with me you faggots.)

Because nobody is retarded enough to pay more than $20 for a shitty touch screen game.

That's irrelevant. The "worlds" division is strictly a matter of political alignment:

1st world = NATO
2nd world = Communists
3rd world = non-aligned nations

And the fact that this morphed into our current understanding of nice nations/pretty shitty nations/really shitty nations is very, very funny.

who the fuck drew this shit

If that was true, Australia would be a 3rd world country.
Wait a second…

This is technically true but also just pedantic at this point. The original meanings died with the USSR and the terms are now widely used simply to refer to economic development levels.

Not really. There aren't a lot of slums in Spain unless you count illegals and gypsies. There's a lot of abject poverty in Mexico, the UN counts it as $5 a day.

Close but not quite, 1st world includes all "allies" nations not just members of NATO.

It has been misused by an incompetent media to the point the mainstream definition has changed.

That doesn't sound right….
Oh it isn't unesco.org/new/en/social-and-human-sciences/themes/international-migration/glossary/poverty/

I've just accepted it personally. You're right, but at the same time the correct meanings aren't even applicable anymore outside of historical discussions, so it doesn't really bother me that they've been converted to something else.