Mark Souls IIl: Harmony Edition

Well that was fun, kinda.
Seemed pretty uninspiring and relied to heavily on Bloodborne aesthetics.
How is the DLC? I didn't pay for this shit, might buy the GOTY edition. Any word for what FromSoft is doing yet?

Dark Souls II is still fucking shit

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=MEPO-7gn2iE
youtube.com/watch?v=qV_jOF3M4WI
youtube.com/watch?v=KDame7qv_Tg
youtube.com/watch?v=utvseFzITL4
cdn.Please
reddit.com/r/darksouls3/comments/5a2ow7/spell_tools_and_spell_buff_explained/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Wait for the second DLC at the end of March. First one isn't too well liked, mainly because of its length not even justifying the price.

Good game, just not as good as Dark Souls or even Bloodborne, despite taking so much from it. Too fast, too little build variety.

I wish this would come out on PC.

Fromsoft thread?
BB arcane fag here, I beat Ludwig with a little help, because the rest of the DLC has the good arcane shit and I would have to become endgame tier to beat him otherwise, which I don't want to do since the point of these games for me has always been experiencing the growth of the character as I play them and as I learn the play style.

Nothing good, mostly lots of flailing enemies and shit. Corvians, Ghrus, Starved Hounds, Lycanthropes, Gravewarden Skeletons and shit are all very Bloodborne.

But surprise surprise, adding ultra fast flailing BB-style enemies without giving the player the same fluidity of motion you had in BB feels shitty

Are you going to join the community event for 2 that's starting tomorrow? I might actually beat 2 this time. I hope.

wot

I've beaten 2 like a couple dozen times, loved 2 because of how fluid the combat system was. What's going on with 2 tomorrow?

There's going to be a push by a lot of people to go back into the game and replay it with new characters along with doing as much muliplayer as possible to try and recapture the feeling the game had at launch. Same thing happened with the first game a while back.

Remember: The only people who can give an opinion on DLC are the ones who would actually bother to play it.
Uninspired is a good word for DaS3. Fucking shit is good for DaS2.

Maybe if you repeat it enough times, it'll come true.

III was okay mechanically, but to be honest I actually liked II more. I didn't think it was possible, but DSIII actually somehow managed to be even more linear than DSII.
It was also short as fuck, had absolutely fuckall NG+ content, and nearly all of the environments felt basically identical.
Optional areas:

I'll be making another Blue Sentinel I suppose. Dark Souls II or Shekel of the first Sheeni?

Shekels of the first Store is preferred, but it doesn't matter.

2 suffers from "sequel trying to be too different from the first game" syndrome, while 3 suffers from "nobody on the dev team actually gives a shit about this game and is only doing it for money" syndrome. I still got ~300 hours out of 3 doing PVP as a moundmaker along with general co-op, please kill me.

The fact is that DS3 takes a lot of the enemy design from bloodborne, which would be fine with tweaks like making them slower and more deliberate in their actions, but there are too many enemies that are too fast for their size and you need to react with a game that is built on anticipation.
Healing is faster, you can do it while moving, and while it heals like DS1's heal, I feel like for a game like DS, the regeneration of DS2 when you sip is a lot better; it involves not being in the fight right as soon as you heal, and if your heal has a chance of hitting the end of your meter, if you get hit and it's still got some health to put back into you, you can account for this and take sips that you intend to use with taking hits to heal it back and work with poise to tank it out.
The biggest problem, and the most glaring issue that is a holdover from bloodborne is the bonfires. The thing that made the lanterns in BB meaningful is you don't heal at them, you have to go to the hunter's dream and back, and you can't warp from other lanterns to other lanterns, only to the dream, which meant that if the distance was negligible, you could walk it out to the other area. Another problem is size; the lanterns in BB are relatively close to each other, but in the span of play, they are distant; The first area is not very big, and it's not large at all when you have all the short cuts opened, but the first time you go through, it is a bit of a travel until you get to all the shortcuts, and then also the boss. The levels were designed specifically that you can get aggressive and smash everything's shit, but if you try to run forward there are enemy placements built like walls to stop that shit. The level design is very narrow, even with how large and open the areas are, meaning everything has a very nice feeling of continuity to it when you go through the first time per run, and then when the shortcuts are opened you can explore the opened zone for items or farm for shit if need be, or if you need to do world events.
Dark souls 3 did a poor man's version of this; you go through an area, there's a set path, there's a lot of enemies that move around in straight lines, you fight through them, you open a short cut, and you get a bonfire within 20 feet of the last one. After you beat a boss there's always a bonfire at their arena, and then there's another bonfire a small distance from that which marks the start of your interstage zone. Boy I sure do hope you love all that fun stuff compressed into an even smaller zone and tweaked to be hard only if you sit through it, but extremely fast and easy if you're on your second run and actually just running through shit. Did I mention how overpowered running is in DS3 compared to the other games? Everything else has some semblance of enemy placement, as shit as it was, it still made you stand the fuck by and wait to get through a zone, you'd have to face off every area, and you'd have to git gud with every part, which wasn't hard, but it just felt hard because you keep dying to sudden bullshit that you know for the next run. In DS3, the optimum solution to every zone with enemies caked on is to just run through, because they forgot to make slow enemies that sit in doorways to stop progress until you fight them. Remember the baulder knights in the undead church? They designed every narrow in that cathedral to be as wide as the knights were, so you can't sneak by them on the way in. It was easy to cheat the big encounters away because you could just funnel them down to one enemy at a time this way, but the game was tuned for solo combat anyway. DS3 is tuned for fucking you up with traps and the player just bullshitting through it.
cont.

cont.
So back to interstage zones, they are, without fail, the worst part of the game; they serve only to be trap areas that move you out of one zone and into another, the biggest offender of this being the fucking snowland interstage; you walk on a bridge, there's a berserk thing that can turn its entire body into a hitbox, and it will kill you in one hit if you don't have your health really high. It is a bloodborne enemy type too, meaning it's huge, it has big wind ups that go into extremely fast bites, back dashes, and has a charge move with two different variants, one is a grab and the other is an overhead pounce, so it's the cancer of dark souls. The areas other than the interstage areas are also pretty small, making the BB design element of "put a ton of lanterns everywhere" doesn't work, because the actual layouts of the areas aren't that long, even if you take a winding path, because there's no real borders on any of the zones, sans a few, meaning they designed everything wide, but nothing is keeping you boxed in, so you can side cut a whole bunch of every map.
TL;DR DS3 is similar in some design aspects to BB, but when this comparison is made, take it to heart that they mean the game just took ideas without integrating them at all, like putting the legs of a horse on an elephant.

I was just referring to visuals.
I found Dark Souls III had a lot of grim Victorian aspects of Bloodborne. Not full out, but pretty similar stuff.

So no need to try Dark Souls III online then?

Only if you like 1v1 fight clubs or 4v1 gank squads. There's literally nothing else.

Not really, I miss jolly co op once in awhile though.

I'm still upset almost every covenant is shit, you could have made online actually interesting.

I'm building a new computer next month and my main goal is basically "Play Dark Souls III at 60fps with medium graphics".

What kind of set up do I need to achieve this goal?
Is a GTX 1050ti and Pentium G4620 good enough?

number 1; who the fuck are you talking to, learn to quote posts

number 2; don't doublepost without a sage.
I realize now that I didn't do a sage when I doubleposted, but that was because I had a big post and it was basically all the same post
Dark souls 3 is very gothic in its architecture, but otherwise it's got none of bloodborne's class
The online is great because the netcode is tight as a virgin butthole, but in the same way, it's still a place where shit lingers.
Most times you will see fight clubs, which is cancerous faggotry, and gank squads, in which the host just wants to give the red phantoms a hard time and the red phantoms aren't given any help unless you're in an auto invade area. The only good places to invade are the crusifiction woods and the anor londo area just after you kill pontiff sullyvan.
More often than not you need to wait for more phantoms to spawn in to help you out, and even then you'll be fighting minmaxed faggots who want to ruin the game for everyone. Bloodborne is honestly a better experience because cooperation feels great since you both get shit for helping each other and the game is so fast that you won't be slogging through the area and then go for coop and slog again.
I would pirate DS3 and wait until anons put together some kind of way to get on the servers. If you do buy it, you're going to need to put yourself way too far into it to actually break through the wall of faggots to finally get to the good pvp. The best covenant is aldrich faithful because all levels come through there and the parameters are if they are in the zone, not if they step in the water like for the fucking swamp watchers, fuck fromsoft for doing that, that covenant has the best shield and it's locked behind a shitty invasion rate and shitty drop rates for the item on enemies.

Its extremely bad when coming to optimization. When it first launched for PC it made mine sound like it was a fucking jet engine. Its fine now though and I have a Intel Core i5 3570K @ 3.40GHz and GeForce GTX 760. Runs perfectly fine on medium. I think there is some weird thing you have to do with the video settings to get it to run nice.

Go back to whatever shit hole you came from.

I played all of Souslbornes and DS3 is by far my favourite with DeS being close second.
It took the best from DS1,2 and BB while removing shit and casual clutches like poise. Nopoise salt festival was glorious.
I'm yet to play Nioh though.

So besides poise being removed, what did you like about it?

I have a 960 and I can play it at the highest settings while maintaining a constant 60fps.

DaS2 has more content and better gameplay than the other games in the series, it improved upon mechanics of 1, and wasn't trying to rip off BB with the YEAH SPEED, GOTTA GO FAST, FAST COMBAT, DELAYED ATTACKS.
you got blocked of advanced areas in the other games too, whether its a huge chasm or a pile of rubble, that's basic souls gameplay

at this point hating ds2 is just a meme. also bloodborne sucks. DeS would be the best if it wasnt for the fact that in retrospective, it has a lot less content to play through than every other souls game, it doesn't even have DLC to fill up that broken archstone.

2/10, I replied

god forbid someone gives you a better insight, you tool.

Combat is great.
There were a lot of whining about muh balance and shit, but if you actually learn movesets you can punish all kind of spammers with pretty much anything - great swords, cesti, whips, anything.
I'm not gonna even talk about PvE, you can beat the game without getting hit with any weapon naked, just like DS1.
It's fast, it's aggressive, but it's also tactical and has shield for more options and variety. It's the best of DS1 and BB.

Exploration it great.
Yes game is linear, but levels themselves are a step up from DeS and DaS. They are vertical with a lot of nooks and crannies and good enemy placing. DS1's non linearity came at a cost of a lot of shit areas and redundant backtracking, and BB is just absurdly small. DS3 does a journey instead of fucking around in the same big area, and does it perfectly.

People complain about lack of traps, but let's be honest if you're not brain dead mouth breather then traps will only work once at best, never at worst. So I take that expense to have more interesting to explore levels.
And the world connects perfectly geographically unlike fucking DS2.

Then the amount of content.
It's more or less the same as vanilla DS1 if you don't count reused or low effort shit like a huge empty space littered with Taurus Demons or lava lake with dragon asses.
I can't commend on DLCs and compare them to Artorias as I haven't played them.
DS2 has like twice amount of content, but that content is dog shit so I gladly take quality over quantity.
I do miss stance system though, that's the only real problem I have with DS3.

And yeah DS1 style of poise is shit. People just stacked it with whatever items and swung away hoping to kill enemy first. DS3 is made more in line with the rest of the franchise, and it works great.

I'd say that BB has better lore, while DS1 has better visual boss and character designs, as well as unsurpassed music score. Ornstein and Smough theme is god-tier. But overall DS3 is the best.

how can it be more in line with the rest of the franchise when all the games before it had working poise systems?
They broke it on purpose because they wanted the game to be shitborne. plain and simple.

The Throne DLC's were nice, but the game in whole felt empty and cartoonish. The gameplay was cleaned up a bit, but still felt unresponsive at times.

Well I am planning a 2nd playthrough, but this time slowing down abit. I didnt pay attention to side quest or npcs stuff, just to the levels and visual design. You didn't find the visuals lacking? There was really no "Oh shit look at this place" feeling when it came to Dark Souls III. Besides the last boss area where everything was caving in on itself. The combat felt fine to me, just more Dark Souls.

i didn't feel it any more empty than das1 or DeS. DeS was smaller though.

and as far as unresponsive controls go, have you played bloodborne?

Did you play DeS? Or BB? Or even fucking DS2? I assume not, because DS1 has poise system unique to it. DS1 poise was a mistake and an opened floodgate for retards that can't learn shit.

I say this - DLC for DS2 were good compared tho the shitfest of a base game. Still not up to level of the rest of the series.

Really? The whatever village, the Irithifuckitsname, the library, the final castle, the prison, the hidden dragon palace were all quite striking for me. Names were stupid so I can't for the life of me memorize any of them.
Heck even the very first area is breath taking if you actually look above you.
I think visually DS3 and BB are two the most impressive games in later years explicitly due to their art style. Minus the chromatic aberration in BB, fuck that shit

To compare only one area in DS2 looked impressive, the one with the tower before you actually get into the tower. That had nice surreal style to it, but the rest I can't even fucking remember.

I thought 3 was fine in most aspects, everything was a little bit faster but aside from fringe cases like Champion Gundyr it didn't feel like it was designed too fast for the system, just a little bit faster to account for everyone being used to the series by now. The levels were individually all well designed, they could have been put together in a more complex way to give more replay value but for a single playthrough the setup was fine and provided an acceptable difficulty curve. There could have done to be a little more enemy variety as well and maybe some areas could have been a bit more colorful but what there was was all fine. Its highs weren't as high as 1's but a lot of those highs relied on surprise so by the third game it's hard to not expect surprises and its lows were not anywhere near as bad as the lows of 1 and 2.

the character sidequest in ds3 are pure shit. you pretty much have to read a guide to do them because the stuff is impossible to figure out on your own. they are interesting to play through though.

yes, yes, and yes, DeS was amazing, BB was garbage because too much delay, and DS2 was the one that brought me the most hours of entertainment, i gave it like 4 or 5 playthroughs across platforms, so much stuff to do, gear to find, and places to explore, thats what these games are all about, not online PvP meme shit.

i thought it was pretty good. for one, it was longer than every other game, had a ton of areas, and its still the only game that adds something on NG+ other than stats.
i was surprised when i went into NG+ and started seeing red phantoms up the ass that weren't there before, you can't just rush through NG+ (like in the other games) because you didn't know when or where a red phantom was going to be added next.

Did you check the DS4's bluetooth or anything like that? I've seen you post this in multiple threads and it hasn't made any sense in any of them, BB doesn't have noticeably more delay in the controls than the other games in the series, not even slightly. Unless you're just not used to playing at 30 fps and you're lying about having played DeS
Well that explains it

bloodborne is just slow, you think its fast because the movement (once you actually start executing an action) IS fast (as in, for example, the dash), but the time it takes to start the action is a lot longer than every other game in the series. when you dodge you don't care how "fast" the roll is, you care about performing it the moment you see the attack coming, either to move out of its way or to trigger the i-frames.

i played DeS, gave it 3 and a half playthroughs, and it was nowhere near as slow as bloodborne when it comes to response times. my first time went turtle mode (it was also my first souls game) with a spear and the great shield, the second time i went with a greatsword (bastard i think) until i reached the fat boss in shrine of storms, and then made that huge cleaver weapon that had the best scaling in the game (S/S/A/A was it?). allocated my stats in the right places for that scaling, wore light armor, and raped the game with it. also had to be very careful to always go in soul mode instead of human to not lose white tendency, since some items required to have full white to access the areas where they were. gave up in the middle of the 4th playthrough because it was more of the same. the game doesn't change. just like das 1 and 3, once you do one playthrough you've already seen pretty much everything.

I didn't need the paragraph, I understood what you meant, it's just not accurate, not as a grievous offense compared to the other games. You might go back and give DeS another play to remember what it's like playing with an input buffer AND unstable 30fps
I'm still not convinced you're not just shitposting like in the Nioh thread

what are you on about? im not shitposting in the nioh thread.

is calling names the only thing you know how to do?

RRRRRREEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

Not this current one, the last one. Don't be coy
No, I know how to do your mother too

dont you want an anime girl or a president to go with your shitposting and shit taste in videogames?

Why does everyone say this is the closest too demons souls? Its not even remotely close to it dark souls 3 is bland and tries its best to be fast paced despite the stamina being so low even when I have leveled to 28 and use it sparingly

This is bollocks because I played my first run through blind and got them all apart from Sigward's confrontation with Yhorm. Sure at first I didn't get why the events happen to the NPC's but they practically all played out perfectly on my first playthrough.

Agreed. I've said this before in other threads that the reason input delay is noticable in Bloodborne is because the combat is faster. That input delay has always been there since Demon Souls.

Running speed, weapon upgrade paths, mana bar, luck stat, fan service like Karla/Yulia, Storm Ruler and Firelink Shrine being near identical to the Nexus are all massive nods to Demon Souls.

Do we talk about Bloodborne here as well? because if so I just found and fought Amygdala for the first time and is he supposed to be a complete fucking pushover? I beat him in my first try and never really came close to dying.

Depends on when you actually fight her. If you fight her immediately at the time the area becomes available, it's much tougher than doing it later in the game. I know I had trouble the first time around because as soon as I got the tonsil stone I went and got my shit pushed in. If I'm not mistaken you can get the stone immediately after Vicar Amelia.

But there isn't any issue with response times in Bloodborne. If there were, it would be unplayable. You're the first person I've ever seen to bring up the controls being unresponsive. I would imagine this would be much more widespread if it were true, but it simply isn't.

Sony's going to fight tooth and nail to keep that exclusive, much like they did with Demon's souls (since both are published by sony). It's one of very few exclusive games that is helping with PS4 sales, so outside of a miracle of the gods I don't expect it to ever come on PC. Which is a shame because BB does deserve to be available on a platform that can have it properly perform.

maybe on PC it wouldn't have those unplayable control delays or work at 20 fps.

They don't really have to fight for Bloodborne, they own the intellectual property. They financed the whole thing, their in-house studio even co-developed it. It really isn't a meme to say it will never, ever be on PC. I guess there's a possibility Demon's Souls might someday get a PC port, but since it had three different publishers across different territories and Japan Studio helped a little with the development also I'm guessing it's pretty legally complicated. There are more rumors of Dark Souls getting a remaster than Demon's Souls anyway

Given the steep increase in hardware requirements for DaS3 compared to the previous two games in the trilogy I don't have a lot of faith

Have you considered you're just not very good?

I guess you'll never drop your imaginary control delay but the framerate can be debunked. Upcoming framerate analysis for Demon's Souls for comparison

See 4:35 for stable framerate. Wish they did an analysis of 1-2 to show the same thing happening every time a dragon flies over the bridge

The frametimes on that aren't good, very inconsistent. I havent played that, but i would assume it feels "stuttery"

God, this game fucking sucks. The level and encounter design is complete, bottom-of-the-barrel dogshit. The funny thing to me is that fanboys of this game (and DS2) like to pretend that this game is so hard. Bullshit. This game was a fucking breeze to get through. More than likely due to the fact that you can't go two feet without finding a bonfire due to how retarded the devs for this game were. Shit, I played my brother's copy and I still feel like I want my money back. Total dogshit.

One Darklurker is too easy. The other is too all-or-nothing. Fuck it, the game is so comfy for me otherwise, but this isn't a satisfying challenge at all.

DaS2 certainly had no shortage of King's Field references

Favorite Dark Souls III weapon?

inb4 dark sword

Most of the time it isn't, if you and the enemy are using a lot of particle effects then yes, the fps drops pretty badly.

So I've been playing DS3 at a friends place recently. Gotta say while I'm having fun, anybody who thinks this shit is even comparable to DS1 is kidding themselves. Especially is level design and accessibility. There's also an abundance of "unfun" enemies who are to well rounded to be fun to kill. The assassins in the graveyard area in particular are incredibly fucking shit. Also fun to know that the devs will never learn to stop using particle effects as an excuse for glamor, as it's terribly un-optimized and not worth it. So far the games a 7/10 for me. I don't really expect it to get better but we'll see. I just got bamboozled by patches again because the franchise is incapable of not referencing what made the originals good.

Great Scythe now and forever. Halberd or some other far reaching dex weapon otherwise.

Farron greatsword
I love parrying daggers and the ridiculous way in which they're used here.
I feel the sword is a bit too big though, I hate that people think Dark Souls is realistic when almost everyone uses two handers in one hand.

threadly reminder that DS2 and DS3 were fucked by executives switching directors halfway through development (twice in the case of DS2) drastically shortening the effective development time.
Bloodborne and Dark Souls are the only two games that only had a single director throughout the development. which explains why they're the most polished (although Dark Souls had a much shorter dev time explaining all the incomplete shit)

On the upside, none of the areas in Dark Souls 3 feel particularly unfinished. The quality is relatively consistent compared to the dropoff towards the end in DaS1.

Getting a flawless AND complete game is too much to ask for, I guess. But I think it's really overblown how much of a "disappointment" DaS3 was.

Or maybe Fromsoft just aren't that good and DS1 was a fluke.

the ending was literally two bonfires without any enemies that lead straight to the boss. It SCREAMS "we didn't have enough time to make a new level so here's your final boss".
Still better than Izalith and the Bed of Chaos though.

you mean

There are tons of games in each series and only a few are considered good, as far as I am aware.

At least for the Souls games, DaS2 is the only really shitty title. The rest has flaws but is still good.

I'd say the series has only gotten worse after DS1 and 3 is so bad that it makes 2 look better by comparison. That's not even including the atrocious, non-existent patch support for 2 and 3.

Yeah, no. Go back and play DaS2.

Have they fixed magic and poise? No? Hence no proper support.

They have rebalanced certain things, admittedly not to the extent they could have. But saying there's no support whatsoever is bogus.
And so is the stupid fucking meme that DaS2 is better than anything, which is only being pushed by fightclubbing plebbit faggots.

DS2 has more build variety, especially for PvE, than 3 does. Yes, you can beat the game one-handed with a naked SL1 character but I'm talking about builds that are fun to play and can beat everything with reasonable effort. Point in case: Magic fucking works.

The plebbitor muh honoure fightclub types only care about the meta anyway and would never consider unusual builds so they don't care.

I actually agree with you, it's a decent swan song to the DS series and I look forward to whatever, soulsborne thing or otherwise, FromSoft makes next

Is the board game actually good or is it so expensive because of the name?

It doesn't have more build variety. It has more 'depth' due to how spacing is easier in Dark Souls 2 due to canceling and how lame recovery animations are in Dark Souls 2 so it leaves you vulnerable.

As for competitive setting; Dark Souls 2 has entirely been abandoned. The community has moved to For Honor (dead game) or Dark Souls 1, where an overhaul mod is in the works.

youtube.com/watch?v=MEPO-7gn2iE

Dark Souls 3 has more actual build variety in the sense of weapons than Dark Souls 2 currently has.

Patch 1.10 :
- Curved Swords: Follower's Sabre (everything else is just worse)
- Spears: Gargoyle Flamespear (see Sabre)
- Katanas: Washing Pole (see Sabre)
- Greatswords: Wolf Knight Greatsword / Moonlight Greatsword /(WKGS is extremely long with good phys damage, MLGS is a very good candidate for poisestacking)
- Halberds: Gundyr's Halberd (only halberd that can kind of deal with greatswords)
- Curved Greatswords: Exile Greatsword (see Sabre)
- Straight Swords: Lothric Knight Sword / Longsword (Dark HSM) / Dark Sword (mostly for use in dual wield setups) / Gotthard Twin Swords (bad WA and AR but extremely long range, mostly used 2H)
- Thrusting Swords: Estoc
- Crossbows: Avelyn (higher damage if three shots connect, easier to hit with) / Arbalest (more efficient with ammo, higher damage per shot)
- Bows: Composite Bow
- Greatbows: Millwood Greatbow
- Axes: Millwood Battle Axe (highest damage, standard short axe range) / Butcher's Knife (extremely long) / Dragonslayer's Axe (because all you need is base stats)
- Greataxes: Yhorm's Great Machete (see Sabre)
- Great Hammers: Great Club
- Ultra Greatswords: Black Knight Greatsword
- Daggers: Corvian Greatknife
- Scythes: Corvian Great Scythe (see Sabre)
- Hammers: Warpick / Drang Twinhammer (solely for rolling L1) / Heysel Pick (obviously on INT)
- Paired Curved Swords: Dancer's Twinblades (very long, decent damage) / Sellsword Twinblades (short, only good with a buff)
- Fist Weapons: Claws / Caestus only for poise reset
- Whips: Witch's Locks
- Medium Shields: Black Knight Shield / Lothric Knight Shield
- Greatshields: Havel's Greatshield / Greatshield of Glory / Simple Lothric Knight Greatshield
- Staffs: Court Sorcerer's Staff
- Chimes: Crystal Chime / Yorskha's Chime
- Talismans: Canvas Talisman
- Pyromancy Flame: Pyromancer's Parting Flame (better Black Flame is worth less spellbuff)

Versus

Q Tier: No idea where to place Fume Ultra Greatswords due to its various glitches

youtube.com/watch?v=qV_jOF3M4WI

youtube.com/watch?v=KDame7qv_Tg

(Don't try this ad home kiddies)

(And yes, i know japan found out about fugs tech before 0b0b0b0, he just made a convenient video.)

so it goes here :O. Phantom blocks are very overpowered against all weapons that bounce against 2h fugs blocking. Ultras** (ultra weapons can be countered by 2h l2 as mentioned in the first video) Whips, curved greatswords and most notably Syans halberd all counter 2h fugs, however, most of their 2h attacks can be punished by offhand weapons with fugs, so you cant really attack 2h fugs anyway. Basically the MU becomes offhand wars.

My God Why Does This Exist Tier: Quizzling

youtube.com/watch?v=utvseFzITL4

Like Fugs, not really sure where to place this, I think it bounces off of fugs so i put it below it.

S+ tier: Rapiers** (All rapier attacks except for rolling attacks can be poise, so theoretically rapiers will be completely outclasses by straightswords with a 141.75 without ring of giants poise)

S tier: katanas (except for chaos blade, which I have no idea where to place due to its self damage) good straightsword (sunsword/longsword mostly), good spears (dragon slayer spear, gargoyle bident, heide spear, and silverblack spear mostly), Daggers with thief dagger 1h rolling** (thief dagger 1h rolling is very strong againt 0 poise, but can be entirely shut down with poise. I wasn't totally sure if i should have put it into s or s+ tier)

A tier: Curved Swords, Axes, Daggers Without theif dagger 1h rolling* daggers with thief 1h rolling are more or less here with poise allowed

p.s. poise is better in Dark Souls 3 and 2 than it ever was in Dark Souls 1.

Into the trash and so forth. You know how this goes. vOv

The Overhaul mod is limiting Dark Souls 1 poise to 61 for a reason.

If your brain functions wrong maybe.

Do you retards actually have an argument?

But limiting it is not the same as removing it entirely. It remains to be seen how fucking autistic that overhaul will be. Never heard of it before.

There's also a reason why it's the only game out of 5 to have it like the enemy's poise, because it was a quick job at patching out Demon's Souls hyper armour problem.

61 poise will let you survive 2 attacks from small and medium weapons and 1 from a large weapon if you reach it.

cdn.Please don't advertise your discord here/attachments/214360173840433152/285048020658159617/DS3_Poise_Calculator_1.08_Version2.8.xlsm

If you're interested in Dark Souls 3's poise.

DaS2 probably has the best version of poise, other than that the meme that it has the best weapon variety or depth (Dark Souls 1 right now has the most by far) needs to die.

Only that you're wrong. Poise worked fine in Dark Souls because I don't give a shit about PvP. Even with PvP it was only ever min-maxers who relied on poise and got crushed by ranged and high dps weapons as a result.

Click the ID. Also the latter statement of yours isn't true.

Poise definitely wasn't a good thing in Dark Souls 1.

What about the ID's? I'm assuming who I replied to defends it if they want an argument.

And poise was a good thing, it was just abused and casuals didn't realize how to counter it. IE:cheesing their cheese.

That's the dumbest statement I've read all day. Stop posting.

Except it did. Poise was optional through the entire run and often came at the cost of a heavier load. I play dex though so I don't give a shit either way.

That's essentially what you're saying, so your opinion doesn't matter.
You mean how it is in every other souls game? No game forces you to wear heavy armor, but the advantage you get in DaS1 far outweighs the tradeoff. It trivializes PvE as well up to the point that it made 4 Kings a fucking joke in the community.
I always make dex characters first as well, so I don't know what you're on about. You can use dex weapons and still wear heavy armor.

While in DS3 anything havier than a light load will put you at a disadvantage. Your point?

MARK?

MAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAARK

Armour defenses not doing much is indeed an issue but poise matters if you want to take advantage of using great/ultra tier weapons.

Also for the list I posted; Slave Knight and Gundyrs are also cost effective.

*VI

Poise isn't in DS3, though

Poise as a value is in Dark Souls 2 and 3, it works differently and augments hyper armour.

Poise in Dark Souls 1 is unique to the 3 games and the only 1 in 5 games that does it like this.

Every attack regardless deals poise damage to enemy's poise meters.

I know you're memeing but

They really should have called it something else. They could've called it Grit, or maybe Fortitude, or Tenacity; basically anything that would've prevented the confusion.

In addition, there's nothing wrong with Poise in DaSI.

Bump

No it doesn't? I see this parroted around a lot and yet there is no proof.
Poise is literally off, as in there's a flag in game that disables completely all poise values(you can even enable it back on with CE)

I want to hate it so fucking bad, but for some reason I keep finding reasons to lke DaS2.
It had my favorite multiplayer experiences (I fucking mainline Belltower so fucking hard)
The armor sets and weapon animations were nice
Ascetics and NG+ only enemies and gear were appreciated
POWERSTANCING
great DLC

DaS3 really soured on my tongue, much more than 2 after my first playthrough. I can remember unique moments from 2, 3 was just so many fucking callbacks I couldn't take it. Even the DLC said fuck all our new lore except for the boss BUT MEMBER THE PAINTED WORLD TIME
I know 2 is a piece of shit, but it's a better piece of shit than the mediocre and rushed 3

DS3 had the same problem that DS2 had: uninspired areas. They ramped up the doodads and the clutter so the areas seemed more graphically interesting but they were overall very boring. Which is weird because the B team proved they could do some nice level design with the DS2 DLC.

Addendum:
If you have exactly 0 poise, all hyper armor is removed from your attacks.
But having 1 poise or more enables it, and every value after that is the same. I believe that this is where the "poise affects hyper armor" meme comes from. Having 1 poise is the same thing as having 100.

The value turns on when you attack. Poise works kinda wonky only when you're swinging weapons in DS3.

It's not out yet.

DS2's problem is the shit level design, shit enemy design, shit combat rebalancing, shit Adaptability and shit pacing. DS3's problem is Straight Swords and R1 spam.

To this day, nothing will get me more assblasted than someone thinking DS2 is a good game. Pretty much the only game I actually consider offensive to my intelligence.

That sounds like another attempt by reddit to "breathe life" into a ded gaem.

it looks fucking awful user. They even recently fucked up the miniature for the Dancer which looked half decent before but is now retarded looking, which doesn't bode well for the rest of it. It'd be cool if it was good but there are warning signs all over it

Not true. More poise lets you make use of hyper armor more, meaning you can keep swinging through attacks/bigger weapons.
I forgot whether it actually was turned off for a while or not as strong, but a patch made poise much more viable for great weapons. Before that you would get interrupted mid swing constantly by R1 spammers, which is why straight swords and rapiers were the meme meta weapons on release. Now a correctly timed swing will trade in your favor.

yep, they look like garbage.

Honestly, the warning signs were there when the boss fighting system was revealed to be "Kingdom Death but shitty."

Oh, they must've patched it then. Back in release it was off for sure

Wow… they really did fuck that up. I've been getting more into /tg/ recently and like DaS/DeS, but board games based on vidya don't usually turn out to good.

My bad, I thought it came out a while back

ive never understood the "DS2 DLC is amazing" meme. The Iron King is really the only unique looking one, and while the rest have their moments for the most part the same unimaginative, boxy empty room look transfer to them as well.

DS2 has some super comfy areas (Majula, Heide's Tower of Flame) but in general is a bland mess. Say what you will about DS3 but at least the levels levels had shit in them (maybe to the point of clutter)

theres thins trend in board gaming to dump as many cool looking miniatures as possible into an okay at best game and trick fools into throwing as much cash as possible during the inevitable kickstarter. So far the only one that has bucked the trend and actually turned out to be good was Scythe, but in general an emphasis on art and figurines is a giant red flag for anyone throwing a decent hunk of cash at something, especially one that isn't even fucking out yet

I've heard some people praise the bosses in the ivory and the sunken king, but I never really saw why.

DS2 DLC levels are more maze like which makes them more fun to travel through compared to vanilla levels but yeah, practically all of DS2 has bland empty rooms that don't convey that they were once a place of function. All the buildings look and feel like wearhouse's and some just make no bloody sense function wise like Shulva (more Zelda that believable temple) or Brume Tower (wacky mad house elevator level rather than a giant Kiln).

Trying the great scythe out right now

Last time I tried using one they were pretty bad, did they get buffed along the way?
Either way headshotting hollows is fun

Only Corvian Great Scythe is good. Great Scythe and Friede's Scythe suck.

Both wrong, see

discord app dot com

Test it in game if you don't believe it. I know you won't though.

This. You can rush to the road of sacrifices and farm it there really early. Slap carthus rouge on it and you will bleed anything in a couple of hits.

Addendum: Flag enables the same system as Dark Souls 1 not because it was cut from Dark Souls 3, it's the same system enemies use.

It's not tat the DLC is amazing, it's just that they're up to par with the previous game and do a lot to bring up its total value. Also I preferred Sunken King as far as level design goes, I hated Elanas fight but I much preferred Sinhs fight to Burnt King or Fume KNight

It's basically Lifehunt Scythe from Dark Souls and references it too.

Shulva is legit great level design. I despise Dark Souls 2 and the other two DLCs but Shulva is fucking legit.

Sounds like a great idea
I have a bad habit where I tend to neglect buffs and such, especially further on into a game, so I never actually used Carthus Rouge

Carthus rouge stacks with anything that already has bleed on it, but the Corvian Scythe is by far one of the best ones to proc the effect with. Just wear some armor with bleed resist because it will also build up on yourself every hit.
Definitely one of the more fun weapons I've used. It's incredibly good at PvP as well since you can keep opponents at a distance.

One more month and we make Londor great again

Hopefully it's much better than AoA

Haven`t played DS3 yet.

Is there any fun way to break the game? Like something akin to being a glass cannon in DS1 and a mage turret in DS2

Carthus Rouge and a fast weapon, washing pole running r1, etc. Magic and miracles are basically useless in PvP but in PvE they're definitely viable, there's one spell that's a fuckoff huge laserbeam which takes a few seconds to charge that deals like 1000 damage at minimum stats.

damn, I'll take dark bead over that garbage any day. at least you can block dark magic with the silver pendant.

Dark bead isn't in 3 is it? I'm not a filthy hexer scum so I wouldn't know.

No, I don't think it is, but when I think of cheap and easy ways to get kills, I think of Dark magic. It's a natural comparison to whatever's going on in that webm.

To be fair soul stream is really easy to dodge, this nigger panicked and got sniped.

Why? It's perfectly fine as it is. I hope the yellow jews don't touch it.

I'm not saying I want it, that's just the rumor. Google "dark souls remaster" and you'll find it, if I remember correctly Miyazaki said he'd be cool to hand the game over to some third party to remaster it and then the rumors went from there. Can't imagine what other brilliant decisions he'll make as president of From now that a scrub like him soared through the ranks so rapidly over the past years

Lost izalith/Bed of chaos, unfinished anor londo, heaps of other content cut for time, jank ass physics and stiff controls and a backstab fishing jamboree. That's not to say I don't love the shit out of the game, I do, but saying it's perfectly fine is retarded. I don't know about a remaster though, I'd rather a remake where they keep the mechanics the same but update the controls and such, obviously make it look pretty with the bloodborne engine, and take the content that was supposed to be in-game and give us the dark souls that should have been.

god damn it miyazaki. Even with the plebbit community event, DS2 barely has more players than DS. After people get bored of DS2 again, it'll have a considerably less active player base than DS again. Handing it off to a 3rd party (again) will just make it DS2:prepare to die edition.

Well I don't mean the game is absolutely perfect, sure there are issues, especially with bed of chaos. I just mean that resolving existing issues with a remaster is likely impossible. I just have no confidence that a studio can actually right them. Maybe I'm jaded.
An update for pc controls would be breddy gud though. I put 160hours into it using keyboard and mouse with dsfix because I didn't want to buy a controller for one game. So I would like to break free from Stockholm syndrome and stop pretending that the game is super fun to play with kb+m.

If it' fine for me then it should be fine for everybody else because of the way I played. There's nothing I can do in the game that others can't so I don't see your complaint here.

Except that fat rolling makes the target a giant rock. I think you're bitching more on strength than you are poise. Poise is just for faggots who can't dodge.
And? Besides that being the lamest looking build possible you're also more nimble without it and as a result more capable of dealing damage without tanking or trading dps. The perks of light armor aren't discussed enough because nobody's willing to try it. I've killed many a giant dad by spamming dark magic/power within and backstab fishing. You might think those methods are cheap but so are min-maxer meta gamers. You should see the panic from a Giant Dad when they realize you're using the Dark Wood Grain Ring with insane stamina regeneration and abuse the fuck out of those I-frames to the point where you're nearly impossible to hit with their slow moving strength weapon.

Again though Dark Souls PvP has always been meme shit. Who the fuck wants to deal with the community? I'm probably alone in this but if they just made a simple dedicated PvP arena zone and put more effort into making the covenants based in role playing aspects as well as co-op I think DS would be a better game. As it is the game isn't really built well for PvP because of backstabs and balance issues.

In DS1? It's great. Especial for bosses. It's also great in DS3 but I'm barely 20% into it and I have a few issues with the changed move set. It does look a lot cooler though.

What about the Irthyll Scythe?
On that note is Frost damage even viable PvE? Fuck, is it even useful in PVP?

Snap freeze is a good spell, at least, for annoying people. Frost is basically bleed but does less damage but also slows stamina regen quite a bit, so if you do get frostbite it'll fuck you up. Luckily rime-blue moss can be bought relatively cheap, though almost nobody uses frost weapons other than Friede's scythe so y'know, no-one has the clumps in their hotbar. As for PvE, not really sure if frost is viable but the irithyll straight sword is a pretty good early game weapon.

I forgot all about that scythe, it sucks.

Old Wolf Curved Sword. It's overlooked since the wolf covenant is fucking broken so invasions don't work. You can always just farm for the grass though. It doesn't do as much damage as the Exile, but its weapon art is unique and stylish, plus it's just so much fun to use. It also combos surprisingly well with most of the attacks and you can actually get some great damage in, even more than two hits from Exile's would deal.
Aside from that, Farron GS is good as long as you actually know how mix up its diverse moveset and aren't just being predictable with the L1s. I think it would've fit better as a GS though instead of an Ultra. There's always the trusty Flamberge. Unfortunately, the "poise" in this game is worthless so your slower attacks will be interrupted by daggers and straight swords anyway

The scythe is garbage. You'd think it'd be at least decent since there's literally only one enemy in the whole fucking game that carries it. Damage is terrible and the weapon art is worthless. It causes a frost aura around you for the stupidly long animation and very temporarily buffs the scythe with frost damage since the frost isn't already on the weapon. The answers to your next questions are no and no.
Frost seems to build up rather slowly. No matter how hard I try, I can't seem to get it to proc on a player. It takes too long and requires too many consecutive hits. As for PvE, I'm honestly beginning to think most enemies are immune to it. Believe me, I've gone through the game cosplaying as an Outrider Knight with the Irithyll SS and it just won't work. Either that, or they're already dead before it can. The damage was negligible the few times it actually popped on bosses. I'm not even sure if the stamina reduction works on PvE enemies aside from NPCs.

The damage from Frost isn't much. It's useful for finishing someone off, but the stamina drain really isn't that bad, especially if someone can mange their own relatively well. Better to just go with bleed instead. Have to agree on the SS, though. It's honestly the only good inherent frost weapon in the game. Not for the frost aspect, but it does decent damage and it's longer than other swords.

Don't listen to this person.

You're not. "Muh honor" PvP has no place in Dark Souls, same with easy access to coop. So basically two things DS3 does fucking WRONG.

Oh, no wonder you don't think poise is an issue in DS1. You're beating it by bullshitting it with other poorly balanced things. You don't seem to realize they balanced most of those things you just named. Dark Wood grain ring isn't in the sequels, pursuers got neutered, backstabbing isn't a guaranteed hit.

You also seem to have this notion that I'm some dueling faggot when I talk about PvP. I only ever invade in areas where I can make use the level the player traverses in, especially at low levels where everyone has an "unfinished build". Flipping swichtes in the catacombs or kicking people off ledges for instance.
Stationary fights in an arena are boring as hell, but you will always end up engaging in a fight at some point, and gay duel meta PvP is a good measure of what is poorly balanced because people will abuse the fuck out of it. I avoid arena fights like the plague but I will still encounter it in regular invasions. Does that make sense?

DS3 doesn't encourage "muh honor" PvP by design though, most people just put signs down by the pontiff's bonfire like they did in DS1 in the township area.
Easy access to co-op I'll agree with, invaders are put at a way bigger disadvantage than they need to be.

I already said the PvP was unbalanced so I dunno why that's a problem. I'm essentially beating bullshit with bullshit. The point is that poise isn't as broken as you think if there's methods around it. And I still prefer the game to HAVE the DWG ring and such because it's fun as fuck. Dark Souls will never be perfectly balanced in PvP though. It needed to focus on making the SP experience better and instead spent that time and effort making a PvP system that created one of the most cancerous communities up there with Sonic and Undertale. And since PvP is shit in general, saying other games do it better isn't really much reason to play them. I mean faggots who say DS2 has the best, most well balanced PvP are still playing the shittiest game in the franchise on an objective level. Which is why the community is entirely fucking dead and DS1 is beating it.

Poise isn't the most broken thing in for sure, but wouldn't it make more sense if said bullshit was toned down instead of expecting players to use it? Not everyone is going to find the DWG ring their first playthrough or use it for their specific build.
I don't disagree that the PvP community isn't cancerous, if they want to play a fighting game they should go play something else. But I love invasions the way they were meant to be played, during regular PvE gameplay. It was always intended as an addition to spice things up. And it's not like balancing weapons doesn't change their damage and behavior for both PvE and PvP.

I've already said DS2 is the worst in the series, not really much else to say about that. Neither PvP nor PvE is fun in that game.

Fug. I mean I do agree that the PvP community is cancerous.

If you want the base game to be less fun, sure.
Just like not everybody is going to main as Giant Dad. If you're on your first run and a giant dad at your level appears, that person is a giant faggot and worth a DC. If not then just run around in circles or something till he leaves. Players who get end game equipment just to fuck over new players are meta-gaming faggots anyway. If you think that shit is funny find but don't be surprised or mad when something disconnects because you went through the trouble of making a build just to piss other people off.

Would be better if it only occurred during NG+ and above. That way people could learn the game and have yet another reason to replay it. Unlike DS3 which I haven't even beat yet and I already don't feel like replaying ever again.

I don't disagree that the PvP community isn't non-cancerous.

If you think that shit is funny fine,*

Twinking was a problem in DS1 but they could've solved it more gracefully. Soul level in DS2 was the answer to that and it just fucked up the whole invasion system, among other things.
I absolutely disagree. Like I said, I like invading during regular gameplay and at low levels, NG+ kills that entirely.

Bear with me, I just woke up and I'm not very eloquent to start with.

The problem is that when you're new, you're already learning enough shit. If somebody invades you, you're essentially confirmed fucked unless you're late game. besides that, you already get invaded by NPC's. Maybe restricting it by being able to toggle offline mode instead of having humanity or making all the early areas in the game offline zones might help, I dunno there's gotta be something. I just don't inherently find "fun" the idea of fucking with another player who's not capable of fighting you on even semi-equal grounds. Then again that's probably sort of the point.

To be fair though, at NG+ you already are kind of low level. The enemies are buffed after all and you take more damage from them. There's really no reason to want to invade others at a low level unless you want to abuse their lack of inventory items or their newness to the game which I don't really find "fun". Guess it's an agree to disagree sorta issue.

Armored Core V and VD were a bit of a mess, though. Some really cool ideas, and thought went into it, like making muzzle velocity, and effective weapon distance being important to combat, as well as how varied the different classes of weapons were from each other. Except it fucked it up with how that interacted with armor. The operator system and related stuff like no radar, and scan mode could have been implemented much better. Hell, had they taken the operator idea to its natural conclusion, you could have seen something like Battle Engine Aquila where you are fighting alongside other units and are generally trying to support them or destroy the opposition without getting into too big of an engagement unless you are a tank, then you are the front line.

You can always learn more. Death is so inconsequential in the series, people make it a way bigger deal to be killed by invaders than it really is.
Not if they're roughly on similar progression level and gear wise. Experience does come into it but if you win despite it you feel satisfied and get a better grasp on the game. And if you lose, you can also learn from it.
DS3 solved this pretty well by tying weapon upgrades to invasions in addition to levels. For example, if you have a +10 weapon you'll only be matched against people who have at least a +8 weapon. This wasn't in DS1 which is why you saw a bunch of twinks fucking people in the undead burg.
No? Most people finish at around level 80-100 I think. Low level is like 20-40.
I do find that fun. Not because I want to one-shot them but because I can make gimmick builds, use chameleon to hide or go on a wild goose chase through the level. Basically create fun fights. And with some of the invasions I've had I find it hard to believe I was the only one having fun.

As long as you're careful with lock-on, kbm is ezpz.

I mean that you're comparably at a low level when judged by other enemies.

You can do the same thing in NG+ though. Don't know how the other player having less items and less experience makes that more fun but ok.

Maybe the best option then is that you can only be invaded by those who aren't in NG+ and haven't beat the boss to an area. That way you're guaranteed to be fighting somebody who's on equal grounds because they haven't proceeded by killing the boss to get the new items. Problem is the games are dead enough as it is. DS is pretty niche and I already said I'm not a fan of the PvP though so whatever.

Right, it's not exactly an issue of DS3, the honor faggotry started way back in DS1 even but it wormed its way through all the games.

The worst thing to happen to the Dark Souls community was becoming popular. It's sad but true.

It stops being viable because at higher levels people will have "finished" their builds and generally gravitate towards meta weapons and spells. At that point you're essentially gimping yourself and have to fall in line, which isn't why I like invading. I like getting creative.

I've never had a problem invading people who are on NG+, it doesn't happen particularly often to me. Can't comment on that.

Absolutely. The community somehow got the wrong idea of PvP because the game was never meant to be played that way. They tried to appeal to it in DS2 and essentially fucked up invasions entirely.

This is more of a community issue. Most of my builds aren't min-maxed at all. Like I said I frequent a lighter armor with Lifehunt/Great Scythe but I have about 30 other builds with the same stats. I do wish DS1 would let you respec at a high cost once you reach a certain point to negate this but whatever.

They work, it's just the requirements for actually being invaded by them are excessively strict for no fucking reason. You can only be invaded by Watchdogs when you step in the water of the upper most swamp, and the game refuses to spawn them in the lower swamp because fuck you.

You always have to assume the community will be as shitty as possible, no matter what game. If you favor a specific playstyle/equipment piece too much most people will gravitate towards it.

What the fuck. I didn't know this, but thinking back on it that is exactly when I was invaded by watchdogs a few times.

It's fucking stupid and I don't know why From decided to do it.

They seem to have ideas for covenants that sound cool on paper but end up not working. Gravewardens in DS1 rarely worked tio.

A lot of the series and general ideas it has were strokes of luck that nobody capitalized on in sequels or horribly fucked up because they don't know what they want.

how do they consistently fuck up covenants so badly? It's the one thing that people have bitched about since DS1 and they still can't get their shit together enough to make them work? Am I being an armchair dev here when wondering how difficult it is to code this shit or are there some legit hurdles to overcome just setting up some rules for who can invade/summon and how

The basic stuff that's in the series works fine, like sunbros and darkwraiths. The mound maker covenant is new and also works fine because it's basically just a fork of darkwraiths. I really think it's just them overcomplicating certain invasion requirements which causes them to not work, like Gravelords and Darkmoons.
Aldritch Faithfuls have no problem invading in Irithyll but Watchdogs do eventhough they're technically the same. I guess because it only considers people who step on the water the potential pool of people who can be invaded and are also connected to is way too small.

Well that's why I don't bother with PvP in general. Even early game there's gonna be meta gaming faggots.

Like I said, that's less of an issue at lower levels because they have less to work with. It's a more even playing field.

I like Miyazaki. Fromsoft is entirely shit without him. But its time to let go, remember what happened to Hideo. You need to learn to accept your phantom pain user.

I'd like them to move on too, but at the same time would be completely fine with them sticking with Souls.

It feels like Mound Makers should have been able to actually help the host fight the boss, but for whatever reason they took it out last minute because they were too lazy or too incompetent to figure out a way to get them to work in a boss room, and Watchdogs feel like they should be crawling up and down both swamps rather than a tiny as fuck area that leads to what they're actually defending.

It should be an even worse case with Miyazaki. Kojima started out as a writer, learned to program, directed a few games and then worked his way up the ladder over the course of like thirty years. Miyazaki went from being a nobody programmer who had never made a game to the president of the company in less than a decade

I thought Miyazaki was just a planner that got allowed to direct

If I didn't already play the game, I'd think you were lying to me. That sounds so fucking stupid, yet it's in line with all the other terrible decisions From has made with this game. I always thought it was broken since I could never get wolf invasions, yet the Red Eye nailed me ones almost instantly and even the Aldritch covenant got me a few. Guess that explains why I was only invaded by blues in the water.
I wish they could invade in the lower swamp, but I also don't think that'd be very fun since there isn't a ring that allows you to move freely in deep water. It'd probably annoy the hell out of me slugging through and moving in circles trying to find someone. You could definitely abuse the Farron GS L1s in that, though

Honestly, I think 3 is the worst experience for me. 2 was garbage, but it at least had a few neat things in it that they could've brought to 3, but decided not to. Really now, I would've loved to have the Alonne Sword, but instead we get shit like the Shield of Want/King's Shield. There's just so much wasted potential and it's too in favor of hosts. I much preferred the series when it didn't focus so much on the multiplayer. Guess I'll just head back to 1 and start jerking off to Guyra Kalameet again.

I wouldn't mind if Miyazaki keep iterating on a successful formula like he did with Demon's => Dark => Bloodborn but "Souls" is cancer. The next Miyazaki game needs to have band new systems, not just a visual facelift and a fresh coat of paint. If their is another game in this genera, I would hope Fromsoft learns a thing or too from Nioh. What would have made DkSII and III much better would have been more complex mechanics, not a compromise to make the game more accessible.

As for Fromsoft as a company they don't have a proven track record of making good games. For example liking Kingsfield is a meme. A game being intolerable to play because its a poor mans Ultima Underworld ≠ virtuous causal filter of an hidden Gem of the PS1 area. The reason not many people liked it wasn't because it was "underappreciated", its because it was shit.

I've been summoned as a wolf into the lower swamp. (but even when the game was first released summoning was rare)

Tying rewards to online activity was a mistake, catering to PvP cancer was a bigger mistake. The invasion system is a cool idea but playing for the PvP is pure cancer. The game is essentially a single player game, not a competitive online experience.

He's wrong about sorceries not being viable in PVP.

You need a 'dark' build to make sorceries work. That means dark longsword, homing soul mass (not crystal), soul greatsword and great farron dart with 40/40 faith/int using CRYSTAL CHIME.

reddit.com/r/darksouls3/comments/5a2ow7/spell_tools_and_spell_buff_explained/

Only pyromancy, abyssal sorceries and abyssal miracles scale from both stats on other catalysts (i.e. Izalith Staff). Otherwise normal sorceries and miracles only scale from INT and FAI respectively.

Crystal Chime makes miracles and sorceries scale with both Faith and Int.

Posted a meta level build in the images but

Also yes Soul Arrow is viable in PVE. It's so mind numbingly easy.

THIS

THIS IS WHY DARK SOULS 2 IS AWFUL OUTSIDE OF PVE

Meta level invasions with jumping in Iron Keep don't count.

For Demon's Souls he was, but before that he had only worked on a couple of the later Armored Core games and before that he wasn't working on games at all

user, please, my eyes are bleeding

Are there any Souls ripoff games that are actually good?

Dark Souls

why play the most casual of souls games?