Older mmos

How do these f2p mmo stay going?

Are they secretly good?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=3o_5cxS3q1w&list=PLC769DEECEFFEF083&index=2
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

because f2p model makes so much dosh and publishers force the devs to cut corners and re-use assets so much that it can be kept up on a shoestring budget.

One whale can feed a whole server. Hosting is cheap.

Whales dropping their welfare bucks on the game.

Hosting an MMO is actually cheap. Companies who say it's expensive are just trying to justify their costs. Games like Anarchy Online don't do anything because they don't have a team anymore. Well, Anarchy Online tried that updated engine, but it's never leaving beta because it's probably being worked on by one guy who works 20 hours a week when he's not paying the dozens of dollars to keep the entire game running.

Old MMOs with cash shops make almost entirely all of their money from just a few people so their dwindling player base doesn't matter.

I don't know how old MMOs like Euotopia (formerly EUO) stay afloat, since there are literally no more than 3 players on at any given time. It's a shame, because it's actually fun, and you can play as a skeleton or a necromancer or a skeleton necromancer.

I picked aion at random but is it worth a few hours play?

only thing I know about them is they hire literal spammers to promote themselves. They go to 'boorus' or pic archives like tbib/sankaku/etc and spam screenshots before getting banned with referral links as the sources.

No kidding, one game I was playing died because it turned out the last whale literally died
Some old fart named Gruntar had cardiac arrest…turned out he was a hedge fundie (lol stealing everyone's gramma's monies to weeb out), and was spending $8500+ a month to keep all his alts 'up to date' (they put out 3 sets of gear a month, one for pvp, one for casting, one for alternating between brawling and tanking, and you'd make enough free change in 3 months to buy one fully… He was picking up all 3 for all his characters since he started)
While they did have other payers, typical college kids only putting like $5 once a month or so. So they moved all the coders off and let it stay for a year without updates before shutting down.

any other "Wow killers" I missed?

Holy hell, that's a hundred grand a year. What MMO was it?

Blizzard has been killing WoW with the last few expansions and they're doing a damn good job at it.

Guild Wars 1 was never meant to be a WoW killer. It was the exact opposite. It was meant to fill its own niche to could act as an alternative choice rather than a direct competitor. This is one of the reasons why its creators refused to call it an MMO. They didn't want the WoW comparison.

Guild Wars 2 started out with this line of thought and then started to gain a ton of attention during development and they swapped tracks into OH BOY WE WOW-KILLER NOW. LET'S STEAL THEIR AUDIENCE. Which goes a long way to describing exactly where GW2 went so, so wrong.

Tera, Black Desert Online, Archage all come to mind. Basically every Themepark MMO out there

The Old Kekpublic btw should not be up there, it's just a subscription based single player game

Looks like someone is an unimaginative droog.

NOSTALGIA!!

Indeed, I can name mmo's that I played with before Aion ever went to the american shores. Back in the day people would play Korean designed things, published in north america. These were the good days, pre-order the game, games cost $40 and $10-15 a month, tens of thousands of players at launch day.
Archlord, RF Online, Kart Rider (nexon, fun free mmo), Rappelz, Risk Your Life (RYL 1,2), Dransik (came out in 1999-2001).
All games made today are garbage tier in comparison, and no one plays new mmo's on launch because there's too many games, over-saturating the market, and the fact they are free/no month subscription to dev team's funding.

SHAIYA HAS BEEN GOING FOR YEARS

AND GUESS WHAT

IT HAS NOT ACTUALLY UPDATED MUCH ADO ANYTHING

I MEAN IT

HERE'S MY RECENT PLAY ON IT

THEY CHANGED NOTHING, EVEN THAT INESCAPABGLE LANDSCAP DIP IN TH EVIL FACTIONS STARTING AREA IS STILL THERE

Well this is Shaiya, an old game I used to play.

Now granted I used to recall that the sound files for the game were in it's installation path, but that seems ot have changed entirely, but startign the game and I've noticed the Karok or whatever the cyclone ganker tanks were called got a facial overhaul, and I never noticed the hunters raging erect nipples on the path of fury factions side as I was much younger back then, playing an Edgelord named Death lok.

First thing I do is get stuck in a pit that is still there after more tha n4 years of online actvity, which is where I had to log out, because you have to be level2 to use a town portlato get out of that rage enducing map trap, which didn't work anyway so I had to shimmy my way up a very specific land stretch out texture to scale out of that bitch

Additionally, Towns are still as barren as I remember them, which for me, is bizzare as fuck, especially when I got the impression the Game had improved since then.

I expect the grind to level 20 so I can fight "king" (Extradimensional Shadowedglord raid boss that takes hours and hours to respawn before a max skellington) will be a long boring one, one satiated by a lust for Lamia breasts.

I also wonfer if that secret vampire who tells the tale of the birth of that drider species that lives here made anywhere further.

Also, the game's vast ammount of Graphical options has seemingly dissappeared.

Starting equipment is barely optimized to class, they just dump all the gear on you and expect you to arrange yourself to what is the coolest, even though as an assassian, the fuckign claws I got from the trainer is better than the sword.

As we can see, the Goats are clearly pretty normal looking with the Exception of a bit of H.R giger in there with the bat wigns for horns and veiny facial features.

Killed the Goat, and levelled up immediately, I could have sworn this took longer, but whatever.

Fun Fact:Many people don't read, and a common factor of this game was that you could go the entire way without havign done quests properly, namely the verty first tutorial mission.

They're also pretty generous with rewards, but maybe that's because I'[m on casual difficulty.

I learnt about the crafting system which appears to be more or less chance based on what components you use, but it's mixed in with this other thing called linking.

Also got temporary gear to try out, P2W as fug, but still, Ima take pictures

Additionally, NPCs have ver uh, "inviting" clothing, and idles animations on par with social interaction in a Drow city.

those chaps tho.

Not too sure I like where this is going, then again these are surface almost nordic not quite drow…

Oh god, GOATS.

I don't know what's worse, the fact that he's not joking or the fact that turning in this quest proved ot me he wasn't and people thought this was worth as much of a reward as it is, in addition to the fact he considered violent goats a legitimate threat to the town.

Anyhow, got my first quest, and I'm considered a member of whatever now, so I'm off to the provisional camp to deliver a message.

And I also learn of the goat threat, wow, just look at that.

And not but a few minutes later, I come upon these- uh things.

Okay seriously, I do not remember these guys at all, and I've a pretty good memory.

So anyway, the guys I met before are weaklings from soem sort of faction they want cooled down.
And the solution to this is to kill off weaker spicmens of their men, brign their clothes back to mr handsome so more can be learnt of them.

Nothing about this makes sense, especially from a basic political perspective, you want me to kill these guys and not instigate a conflict in the process?

Well anyhow, he sends me over to the blood lab because the guys from the happy go lucky actually relevant faction are causing prison riots (Yeah, i wonder what would go on in a blood lab to cause that?) but I'll do this guys quest next

In other news, I have a mount, huh, didn't figure otu how to summon it until now.

Ah yes, the blood lab, a place where honestly, things don't look nearly as diabolical as they should.
Hot danm, that ass tho.

So yeah, human revolt, time to quell it, blood is google images pictures slapped onto a 3 shaped google polygon designer mesh, the macabre is just animal carcasses, wow.

Looks pretty intact to me, if you call this open almost barren space a research lab with populated items.

So yeah, quell it revengered the whatever we are then went to meet Matou Zouken who wants us to purge pigs, and yet another muh loved ones npc kill quest

Now to post the images to go with this text I planned for a thread which I never got around to doing.

Wait, fuck, did I post these in reverse order? Doesn't matter.

This talk of of older MMO's gives me an Urge to Play atlantica online with Holla Forums though, that'd be fun, us, waifus, entire imperialistic Holla Forums faction travelling across Europe like ISIS killing people off, and eventually fighting loli dracula or someshit that game has to offer in a fun turn-based combat MMO with so many fucking units to use it's unfunny.

Posting quest logs gives me bad memories, this is not what leveling was like in my past gameplay. My old games would only have a main quest that gives you 20% exp, and you'd have to party up and pull mobs, tank mobs, this is what was fun. (After playing WoW, that game is garbage, nobody parties up, the only pulling is done by solo-aoe, questing>partying for exp speed, dungeons are garbage and slow, and too many quests)
All in all I prefer partying up, pulling 12+ mobs and healing/tanking/dps'ing in a wide zone rather than wow's terrible 0/20 loot quests. No game does this properly today.

Also, nice copy pasta shit thread OP, post and run. I'm calling you out.

GW1 went in total oposite direction of WoW

This user gets it.
Feels like the devs want control over how and when the player levels and access areas. So levels and gear are mostly obtained from quests until the very level cap of the game, I've never reached cap on a game like that because they're so boring. I remember Tera Online's field monster giving less than 0.1% exp while a quest to kill some of those monsters gave me about 20%, such a waste of the fun combat.

wow is a lot like western society, the only people capable of killing it where those on the inside.

Rift was fucking good.

I just fucking hope the single one MMO I'm playing will not die like some others do, and will eternally like the ones posted itt.
Its relatively new so it's hard to tell if it can live past its initial business plan

What MMO is it?

Is it korean?

If yes your answer is no. Korea doesn't make anything of worth anymore.

I'd rather not tell.

Isn't DFO ,one of the oldest ones, is still alive? I remember it even popped up on steam sometime last year. Also shit like Lineage 2 I think and Aion is still alive too!

Because it takes advantage of Jewconomics. That most of your revenue in any consumer endeavor only ever comes from a few select customers, in F2P terms referred to as whales or wallet warriors who take pleasure in daddy's money.

Come on m8
I'm looking for a good MMO to kill the time with

BDO is a sandbox MMO in the truest sense you moron.
It's like a better looking and more fun Wurm.

the mmo where you can t trade or interact with other players if you do not pay

Atlantica is-alright. I guess.

SMT online is still available in japanese, and I think Dynasty warriors and Vindictus(Mabinogi something) is still around too.

Hah, don't indulge into Stockholm syndrome, you'll regret it.

I played BDO for like 60 hours lazily leveling my dude to 50 and playing through the story.
It was fun open word singleplayer game, but calling it sandbox is a stretch. You can't even freely trade with people.

BDO is as much as a sandbox as something like World of Tanks pretends it's realistic. It pretends to be a sandbox, but it's nowhere near being a true sandbox. Especially considering most of it's sandbox elements were cut during development thanks to Gooks.

The best/worst part is that it was reduced to a single player skinner box game by players who wished to play another generic MMO but with cool graphics and combat.

It is further proof we need to nuke South Korea. Or let Kim Jong Noodles annex it

exactly
BDO is far from being a sandbox
here is a great post made by a french on a french forum as an answer to a shill calling BDO a sandbox
translated by google because i m lazy but if need be i can check the translation in detail

Wasn't there some sort of SJW war over there at the end of the last year? Is it still going? Or was it another fucking korea?

I mean can you even blame the devs? That's what playerbase wanted. You don't supply for which there is no demand.

this, aion is f2p, but not buying a "gold pack" every month sets you way back once you reach higher levels
as for the game itself i think they're moving it in an interesting direction, for example only extreme grinders were able to reach max level (75) so far and right now your level is more important than the items you have

holy shit i gotta read it to beleive it : disregard i m doing corection right now,
dam i never thought google translate was so bad (never had to use it to translate entire stuff anyway)
mea culpa

ok it should be readable

now fun fact:
in that said forum: the board dedicate to the game was at the start filled with pationnate guy like the one you are reading.
starting 6 month to one year before release you could clearly see a switch in the population:
you could see the oldfag who was interested in the game since day one due to his sandbox "eve online with dynamic gameplay" leaving replaced by kids shilling like no tomorow.

How is the combat and classes?

Looks like a TERA type of theme..

It has classic wow combat with 25 full rows of abilities mate.

yup, fuckton of spells and you have to use most of them all the time, i never played TERA and can't speak on how they are similar so have a few more screenshots
speaking of WOW i tried getting started on one of the official servers the other day (with some free trial option) and found it really frustrating how my character had very little spells to use so i guess there's my autism

Anarchy Online just got released on Steam.

I fucking love Aion's aesthetics but absolutely can't stand its combat, even though I understand it has its merits over hitbox-based action types.
If I could enjoy it, chances are Aion would be my game of choice p2w or not.

it's tragic what fucking trion did to rift

shit was fire before the expansions

MMOs are never good.

MMO's are good at disappointing you though user.

did any of you play fantasy earth zero?
i miss that game

So how is GW 2 since it went f2p? will it be fun for the first 20 levels?

It's a way to pad out the content by forcing players to go on the rails if they want to advance.

It's too expensive to do things the old fun way,

Wrong. The old way of developing (korean/party grinding path) actually requires less workload. WoW quest style progression requires script writing which no one reads, quest design + dungeon design is a huge time sink, and mis-allocated resources.

Rather, you can throw a new map in, place a boat load of mobs that can't be solo'd, are highly aggressive, and there's only 1 quest per level. (i.e. look at the new land, kill a hundred of these with ur party)
Now after completing the quest while partying up, you continue pulling/tanking/healing mobs. Even at high levels each mob could be only .01% exp (yes, I have done that before) where it still takes ~1 hour for 1% exp. It would still take 100 hours to level up, way more than WoW style actually in terms of time spent per level. More gameplay, less workload, more social interaction. Its intuitive game design at its best.

Gah, I can't stop remembering mmo's I've played in the past and forget to list, Kal Online (2004 archer/warrior/mage class, anyone remember? lvl 40ish is when it took forever to level. There was a defense scroll dupe that crashed server economy, I sold mine months after everyone that traded got banned, and made tons of money to get lvl 50 armor)
Even this game didn't have many quests, and you'd jump in a map and party up with people nearby, this was second nature in every game back then. Guess its a Korean thing.

Silkroad Online was fun but only spent a week on it. Became a quest themepark on wheels though.

Also i'll post some mmo playlist music that is not well known, but good quality. Koreans could make amazing orchestral/folkish music.
(Playlist of embed game's ost)
youtube.com/watch?v=3o_5cxS3q1w&list=PLC769DEECEFFEF083&index=2

You know what I'm gunna make a thread about MMO music. This will be terrific. Let's do it.

I will hunt you down and cut you. RIP in peace, RO

I like the possibilities of MMOs, but years of boilerplate nu-WoW killers burned me out hard. I've more or less given up on the genre, all flash over substance.

i remember some user doing an almost complete art dump of "Scarlett Blade" back in 2014
the game was kinda meh but the art was ok, too bad i lost it all

Game was not kinda meh, game was complete garbage even by korean mmo standards.

yea but it has BOOBS!
it s also the only game who have a cash shop item that alow you to remove your underware for 20€ and basically be a naked bitch . without mods

Aion had one of the best character creation systems for the longest time. Sliders for days. I haven't played it in years but it still has gotten consistent upgrades, the dye system and armor design is wonderful and it has an interesting concept where lategame is all in the Abyss where its basically a giant PVP warzone.

Only F2P that is probably at risk of dying right now is probably Wildstar, its hard for the game to keep players since the content is generally far to difficult for casuals to stick around for. Its a decent game assuming the artstyle doesn't turn you off, probably the best f2p MMO on the market right now that isn't just press tab to win.

I can't play MMOs, they ask too much of me. Don't get me wrong, I'm not one of those ADHD riddled shitstains who can't keep dedicated attention on a game for more than 2 minutes, but I'm also not willing to spend 2000 hours on a single game. There's plenty of games out there, and I want to try as many as I can in order to refine my tastes and open myself to new things. 40 hours? No problem. 80 hours? It's fine. I'll even go as high as 300 hours, but anything higher than 1,000 is just exhausting. That's the fucking limit.

Might try Aion later then..

Post the game user c'mon

pretty sure it's not the game fault if you spend more than a 1000 hour in it. Also it doesn't have to be an mmo to be addicting, with a few mods here and there even skyrim could be addicting.

he is speaking about World of Warcraft

its true that WoW will never die since blizzard already change it to a solo RPG (you even have an "action cam" )
it s also, sadly, the reason why we will never have a warcraft4.
because it's much easier for blizzard to add/expand the lore and story using World of warcraft than making a new warcraft game.²²

and it will bring them much more benefit:
W4 would be 60€ one time
WoW is base game + 50€ + monthly fee+ cash shop .

²² hell blizzard il all about e-sport now, so why would they make another RTS who would wither the sales/populartity of their precious starcraft?

blizzard is living his dream:
they would never upset the balance by making a second RTS or a second MMO
(Project titan was revamped into overwatch for the same reason i said above regarding their RTS)

Thanks user.
I've never experienced the MMO age, we got internet pretty late where i live and it was pretty shitty too so i never played one

Yeah, but most MMOs have a lot of content, which requires that the average player spend a significant amount of time invested if he ever hopes to see it all. I don't like picking up a game and not finishing it. MMOs are not designed to be finished, they are designed to keep you playing.
Never said anything about addiction, just that MMOs have a too much content for my tastes.

jesus christ, i never really understand people who are that competitive they'd spend so much money

tbh i was talking about addiction because i did spent around 2000 hours on an mmo and i'm telling you, the story is simple and short, content is barely there, but easily 80% of the time i spent socializing, and i made some good friends there.
just try to play random mmo user, don't treat it as a game to be finished, but a place to meet people.

Are there any decent resources for aion similar to dulfy.net?

its dead now, i think there was a private server somewhere