1 week, 1 vidya - Thread #0 Valdis Story : Abyssal City

The purpose of this thread is to propose anons one game per week to discover and use this thread to discuss it : tell us what you think about it, talk to other anons if you’re stuck or share your tips as well as tell what could be improved in your opinion if you wish. Of course, remember to also have fun.
It is to my understanding that something like that has already been tried but those threads flew under my radar.
This is the first thread so I am going to keep the OP as short as possible, if you have any suggestions about it feel free to post them.

The game this week is going to be Valdis Story : Abyssal City.

magnet:?xt=urn:btih:d2ceecd7b09bac3d48375d1128c2f4cf4b408543&dn=Valdis+Story+Abyssal+City+%28Latest+Version%29+%28GOG%29&tr=udp%3A%2F%2Ftracker.leechers-paradise.org%3A6969&tr=udp%3A%2F%2Fzer0day.ch%3A1337&tr=udp%3A%2F%2Ftracker.coppersurfer.tk%3A6969&tr=udp%3A%2F%2Fpublic.popcorn-tracker.org%3A6969

Also available on Steam and GOG.

It’s a metroidvania with some brawler elements and a bigger emphasis on the RPG aspect with the presence of a skill tree.

I’m sorry to hear about that user. Keep in mind that this is a thread about trying new games or forgotten ones. The games featured in these threads aren’t always going to be masterpieces, sometimes they’re just going to be “good” and maybe just “alright” because I haven’t played them extensively. Each game that I will submit here I will only have played for a very short time because the objective is to try something new (like an user said in another thread, a book club but for vidya).

I’ll try to keep it as varied as possible, emulation is a possibility too and if it ever happens I’ll try to gather every necessary info for running the game in good conditions in the OP. As always, the only condition is that it should not be a game that everybody has played.

I have a few ideas for the following weeks, however I don’t know how I should go about it to be honest. I read that the user before me tried to instigate a poll for the next thread but that it went to shit quickly. If you have any suggestions, feel free. If a thread dies because there is not enough interest or the game I proposed is completely outrageous (everybody knows it, it is notoriously terrible and I have shit taste etc.) then so be it and look forward to the next week.

Good game, git gud bosses, annoying speed puzzles, final two characters released never ever.

Played it a couple years ago, it's pretty decent and has some okay replay value with the different characters and upgrade paths but it's dragged down a bit by the scoring system and some other minor shit. You get different rewards based on your rank when you beat bosses, if you're not very good and you get shitty ranks your rewards are basically trash like a couple points in one stat but if you're S ranking bosses you get absurdly better bonuses to the point where it can result in some significant snowballing where the game becomes way easier than it should be.

I also don't recommend starting as the either of the chicks, I don't know if the mage one is even available on a first playthrough but they both felt pretty weak or limited compared to the male characters and the mage in particular suffers from not so great controls for the magic system.

Quick and dirty webm of the tutorial area boss fight.

Thanks for the input lads, so far I haven't played a lot at all and I hope to have some impressions to post tomorrow.

hope you retried that until you got an S or you're missing out on significant stat or skill points.

Final two characters were released. They also added a fair bit new stuff like a few new bosses.

This user sums up my thoughts fairly well, but Gilda, the unlockable chick has some stupid abilities. One of her abilities gives her a bonus in all other stats that is half of what her intelligence is; so you dump all your stat points into that. Then you get an item that does the same for luck. Otherwise, use the newest of the light magics on demons, and newest of the dark magics on angels.

I put a few hours into it a while back. It looked like something I'd like but I just couldn't get into it. It felt like I was just stumbling about from place to place so I moved on to another game.

Only ever played this game as Wyatt when it was released and absolutely fucking loved it. One day I'll go back and play it again as the other characters.

I think this is my second favourite metroidvania of all time, behind Rabi-Ribi.

Despite loving this game, I think OP might be getting close to blog posting.
While I would like to know what other games you'd suggest for a post like this, I'm not sure Holla Forums will be as accomodative as users would rather shitpost than ignore.

Nah I didn't since I figured the it's the tutorial boss so might as well carry on. I did got S rank on the boss from webm related on my first try though.

Also I notice lots of anons already played the game so I'll be careful next time. Maybe close to making the next thread I'll ask if the next game is something many folks have played or not.

Does it just look like MapleStory or are there more similarities?

It has jack shit in common with Maple Story other than being a 2D sidescroller. Best way I can describe is what if SotN fucked DMC1, and this is the final result of that.

Blog posting as in post is too long ? I tried covering questions and concerns that people might have on this first thread. If there is really no interest then I will simply stop making them (and maybe an user with better ideas can pick up after me).

My original intention was having a thread where some anons can discover new games and centralize discussions about said game for a week but maybe I went about it wrong.
As for the other games, I have a 2004 third person shooter/horror in mind, a survival game (it is likely that many people here have played it though) and a platform/puzzle game. As stated in the OP however, I haven't played those games yet so maybe this is subject to change. I still don't know if I should ask for opinions on which game to pick next or if I should follow my instinct and risk the thread dying/being shitposted to death.

If it's RE4, kill yourself.

Why would I make a discovery thread about a game everyone and their grandma has played ?

Blog posting as in that it's too personal..
You have to consider "what if everyone did this?".
What if everyone did this every week with their own games they felt needed discussing? There would probably be a lot of Thread #0 posts around and not much discussion.

To be perfectly clear, I love Valdis Story, and I'm not saying you shouldn't make threads about games you love. I'm just suggesting that making it regular is the best way to making it monotonous, and that it becomes about what the OP recommends and not the game.

Sage because sage.

Honestly I think threads should be open to suggestions and making their case for what should be next, but fuck polls for the most part.

Is it "Obscure"?

The only thing I can think of from that year that fits the description is The Suffering.

To be even clearer, just make a fucking thread about the game you want to talk about.
Don't call it a discovery thread, don't make it a Holla Forums thing, just make it less structured and more organic.

The last two times the book club was tried it ended in failure because people were polled on what they wanted to have as the next game. Shitloads of people piling into the thread so they could vote for their favorite game and then getting buttmad they didn't get what they wanted and left. Ended up dying before it even got off the ground because autism basically. The threads were more shitposting about how the chosen game wasn't what they wanted and meta-tier "do what I say or I'll ree the place down" crying than talking about the actual game.

Things like vidya book clubs are really hard to pull off apparently.

Didn't we try this before? I think its a neat idea but a lot of work for the user suggesting it.

Also because Holla Forums lives in the present because of it's nature as an imageboard.
There's no way to schedule future events without a lot of shitposting about the content of the future event.

Hard to populate a club with people who have no consideration for each other

I did think about that you're right which is why I started by saying that I will not propose any games that I have already played as I didn't want it to be a "my favourite video games are better than yours thing". However this is still not perfect since the games I choose to post about are going to be biased with my personal tastes (for example, I have played very little RTS games in my life so I'll very likely not propose one).
I'll think about what you said and you're right, maybe I'll just decide to make another thread whenever I feel like playing one of those games instead of making it a regular occurence

It's not RE4, like I said no point in discovering a game that everyone has played.

Yeah it's The Suffering. I don't know how many anons have played it though.

I see, thanks for the insight. I didn't see those thread back then but if it was tried 2 times before then I guess this attempt is likely to fail though. Well let's enjoy this thread then and I'll think about what to do for the next one (if there is one).

Happy to talk about the awesome game that is Valdis Story.

I really like the way it limited it's dodge system during combat, and had some neat speed-run puzzles.
Sucked how some of the necessary mobility-based abilities also shared space with valuble combat-based ability slots though.

Yeah the cancelling ability really adds a nice touch to the boss fights, and despite what I thought you can't spam it so you have to be careful about it (apparently it goes on CD whenever use it during a fight).

At the end of the day how important is the build you choose to make though ? It doesn't seem like the kind of game where this stuff is going to matter a lot.

Having to constantly switch between each characters 4 designated navigation skills and all the other combat abilities every minute kinda got old is the only real problem the game had in my opinion. On the bright side at least all those visits to the menu got me to mix up my ability loadouts for combat. Also Wyatt was the least interesting character to play for me so I can see why some people dropped the game early.

Builds can matter and some builds are significantly better than others, but there is nothing in the game you can't handle just with your basic toolkit if you git gud enough.

The dodge goes on CD based on the player movement after a cetain number of dodges (the number of dodges being based off an upgradeable limit).
If you only have a limit of one dodge slot (for example), you have to run around for a few seconds before it becomes reusable again.
If you wait in one spot, the cooldown is much slower if I remember correctly.

It's not that much work, just provide a magnet link, one line or two about the game and then the rest can be a template that almost never changes.
The problem is whether or not the thread itself and the content fits the board and there is a case to say it doesn't. Maybe trying to formalize something organic like imageboards is the wrong way to go about it.

Oh I see, I was wondering why I could spam my dodges much less during fights. This upgrade sounds like a no-brainer for boss fights.

The timer for the dodges refreshing also doesn't start if you're in the middle of a combo to prevent infinites.

Bumping. I'd be playing this game, but I've gotta force myself to actually finish a game before I play another one.

For some reason I can't seem to get the finishers to work. It pops up and says press s and w but that doesn't seem to do anything when I try. Cost me a few hits in the second boss fight too. Webm related my first try against it.

Got passed the boss with the poison before calling it a night. Here's my stats so far. Neat wee game even for someone like me that isn't too fond of metroidvanias or platformers for that matter. Characters are a bit edgy but the gameplay overall isn't too shabby. Seems like they've taken deliberate steps to stop the game from becoming churazay with the cooldown timer on the cancelling/dash move which is a shame.

Like a video game book club? I like this idea.

Pretty good game. I pirated it a couple years ago and enjoyed it enough to buy on Steam. The combat is much more complex and interesting than most Metroidvanias and the boss fights are great.

The game just isn't fun.
It feels like a chore just to get from place to place and to fight regular enemies until you reach the point where you annihilate them no matter what they do.
Some of the bosses fight were great like Yeti/Raven or final boss, but for the most part they were also boring and felt like a busy work.
I dunno, I love me some metroidvanias, but Valdis Story just never clicked with me.

I finished this game once with Wyatt and figured I'll try it with the warrior monk. The fact that she didn't have a guardbreak, and that her unarmed combos were so underdeveloped compared to Wyatt's made the first few minutes into Godslayer enough to make me quit.
Fun game though. And really good music.
I really want to learn how to play this on the piano.

Also I'm on board for these types of threads. Hope you can keep them up, user.

How far this game has come. I remember seeing it on the game maker forums and praising the shit out of it like 10 years ago. It was so inspiring I made a shitty side scroller.
I would check regularly for updates but they never came and then stopped checking. Years later I see a game and a title I recognise for sale and thought, 'nah, I must be mistaken'. Haven't played this version but the old version was amazing, but that could be looking through the 'wow, for a Game Maker game, this is amazing'.

You're talking about Valdis Story: No Subtitle.
This one is the Abyssal City - sequel to that game.
You can still find download links to the unfinished original, it comes with debug mode so you can see all content there is, even if it's normally inaccessible.

Fuck, that brings back memories. Is it an actual sequel to the story?

Yes, VS1 ends at your crew's ship chasing that demon motherfucker who killed your father
Abyssal City starts with Both of your ships being sunk by some magical whales, after which you find yourself in some shielded underwater city

Oh okay, thanks for the info. The game controls look tighter in Abyssal City. Looks like something that could've been on a handheld console.

I think there is a psp or vita port, but I personally hate handhelds so it's up to you to look into that.

Nah, just saying like it's comparable to something like MM Zero kind of professional for someone who started with game maker.

Well, as you said dude worked on the whole thing for almost a decade, bringing his experience from the first game into the second.

Yeah, but it felt like it was just us teens playing around with a free game making program for fun, no one ever thought they would become something from it or make money…

I studied games programming when I left school :'(

I'm 100% triggered

Oh it's pretty out of the box for what it is all right.
While in most metroidvanias "rpg elements" just mean that you can improve your numerical stats, this game actually brings some character building to the table.

Yeah there's a ton of shit that I left behind because I didn't have the required items, if I decide to go back I'm bound to miss something at some point so I'm not surprised.
Just beat poison skelly relatively easily. I like the game so far, I'm just a bit overwhelmed by the number of different areas I'm going through without being able to do jack shit in most of them.

I guess that's the selling point of the genre isn't it?

I bought this and refunded it because it was boring garbage.

True, but I've never felt like this playing Metroid or SOTN. It's been so long I played any metroidvania though, maybe I'm just rusty.

You died at the first boss? How?

Holy fuck how? And why are you linking to my post complaining about dying?

In case if it's not bait, what 2D exploration games do you consider good and engaging?
Because this shit is borderline side scrolling DMC, so I would assume your standards are rather high if you call it boring.

Or maybe he died to Yeti, it's technically a second boss and is actually challenging if you only have one skill cancel.

You know fully well that exploration isn't a strength of Valdis Story

No. DMC actually has difficulty and this boring slogfest (yes, slog) has absolutely nothing in common with DMC. At least give that to Muramasa or the disgusting weeaboo furry game if you want to call a sidescroller anything like a DMC game.

As for 2D exploration games… I guess Shantae, Axiom Verge and Aquaria counts, but out of those I'd only count Aquaria as an actual exploration game. While Valdis is for the most part more like Axiom Verge or Shantae. Linear games with some divergent pathing. How you could call this an exploration game at all is beyond me.

Also, pretty unrelated since its not an important aspect of games. But the game also looks like garbage and made my eyes bleed.

That game is literally mash to win

How many attack buttons do you think DMC has? You're making it sound like you never played a DMC game.

Since you've already admitted to buying and then refunding it you've opened this by also admitting that you've played less than two hours of it, so I don't know what your goal is besides shitposting.

Well so is Dust, his other example

If anything exploration is one of the stronger points of this game.

So you were baiting after all.

With this I can agree. Over saturation of colors, non-anime art style with chibi but suposedly serious characters is something I had hard time adjusting to.

That game is about dodging and precise striking user, at least on hard mode. I'd compare it to what, those Gundam VS games maybe? Of fundamental level at least.

Dust is absolutely mash to win on any difficulty though, that game has no essence.

Three, technically. From DMC3 onward, anyway

Are you that fag that keeps shitposting about DMC1 being a button masher?

Nigger Muramasa has a fucking block function built into every single attack, so long as you just keep mashing and swap out swords when your durability gets low you are literally invincible. If you think that is in any way comparable to DMC you're a fucking moron.

Also my refund didn't go through it seems.

So you haven't played DMC at all. Gotcha.

I don't. I literally said I don't think any 2D sidescroller is. I said that those were MORE comparable than this piece of garbage.

You have to do more or less the same type of exploration in Devil May Cry to progress, I wouldn't call that a good 3D exploration game. If anything Valdis could manage expectations better by not marketing as a "Metroidvania" and selling itself as a beat-em-up first and foremost

One button for guns which gets a lot of combat use unless you're shit at Gunslinger, one button for style which gets a lot of combat use unless you're shit at Swordmaster, one main melee button. Can you not count? How bad are you at DMC?

Gunslinger uses the style button and is only present on Dante. The actual button for guns is really not that useful on Dante. So thanks for proving you don't play DMC.
Again, same button as Gunslinger. In one style out of 5+.
The actual meat of the game since you use that and combine it with weapon switching to get stylish.

Either way all of this is besides the point because all you're trying to do is character assassinate me because you have no arguments in favour of Valdis. Lets see if you try to continue this pathetic DMC babble instead of talking about the game you are shilling.

I'm sorry mighty user, my playtime peanus is smaller than yours I guess I can't say anything against you.
Though I've beaten DMC3 on normal, hard and whatever then next non-gimmicky difficulty there was, so I can safely say that it uses no less than 3 buttons in combat not counting utility like jumping or locking on. Same as this game.
Well there is no lock on obviously.

What optional content can you even find in DMC, other than challenge rooms in DMC3 that appear in levels that you already completed? In VS is like 1/3 of the entire game is optional, including weapons/movesets, equipment, npcs and stat/skill points.

I don't even know what you're trying to say anymore. Safe to say you don't have any positive arguments in favour of shilling Valdis.

Yeah good fucking luck getting through these games without ever juggling anything. Hope you like those "Dull" ranks
Thanks for proving there's more than one attack button

I'm saying that you sir are baiting us hard there.
Or being a legit retard, I don't know.

I didnt like the game either :(

But so far, conversation seems pretty good on this game, so sucessful book club?

I think a vote is retarted because we are looking for relatively unknown games, so popular vote is dumb, maybe take turns somehow?

I booted up the game again and I kind of remember now why most of the bosses felt really easy.
Parrying is absurd, it makes them get mini-stunned so fights are pretty much just wailing on them and parrying when it works. I like the parry window though. I can't really explain it but it feels good.

Why is the monk so fucking hard to play as, I can barely even reach the first boss on Godslayer because she doesn't have a guard break

Holy fuck

By challenge rooms do you mean secret missions? They're in all of the games and they're necessary to 100% both of Dante's meters. Artemis is also an optional weapon in DMC3

Excuse me, I wouldn't have expected a retard who can't even count to three to be the master of jump-canceling. Considering you think using only the main melee attack button and weapon-switching is the height of style I don't think you're in any position to talk about DMC's mechanics

Check em

OP here (my ID changed since yesterday).
Taking turns would be the best compromise in my opinion since it prevents this from becoming "user suggests games according to his tastes only" for six gorrilion threads. The problem is how we're going to set this up if we choose to do it.

I'm glad that you like it, I've been enjoying it so far too. Finisher should be heavy strike+magic so it's weird it's not working, as far as I know the only requirement is to be in Focus Mode for it to work.
Also we got the same skills funnily enough. I thought that critical strikes were going to be a meme after killing the first bosses but poison skelly was tanky as fuck, if the rest of the bosses are gonna be like that I'm really gonna need some more damage output.

I think I might have strayed into a mega high level area and am now stuck not being able to beat this fucker.

Yeah you're intended to do the eye fights pretty late in the game. I think it's possible to beat them earlier but it's insanely tedious and you don't really get anything for it, plus you'll definitely not get a good rank on it and the reward will be trash.

The reward for them is trash compared to most bosses, even at S rank.

How the fuck did you get in there that early? There should be divine doors in the way.

Exploration and maybe unintentional cheese. Didn't see any divine doors on my way there though. Was level 8 at the time, hadn't even beaten that first feral that showed up in the cutscene after the tutorial boss fight. I'm guessing this on the track to the last boss or something?
Here are my current stats. I get the feeling I might be pouring a bit too much into strength.

All strength isn't that bad since it's both damage and health, might be a little bit tedious in areas where you need to use magic for platforming and puzzles and have to keep waiting on mana regen but aside from that it's not like you're going to get shit on for not using spells or crits for damage.

That boss is a bonus boss, it was open in the old build, but there was an area with a pretty large amount of bullshit you have to go through including a divine/golden door the last time I played.

Wew, I didn't know levels mattered this much

I just finished the temple area, the boss' shield a pain do deal with. Also the sewers OST was pretty good, reminded me of the caverns OST of SOTN a lot.

Then you get shit like "Why are you trying to talk about this random game I've never heard of? Are you just shilling it?"

Not if you have a decent OP

How the fuck are you supposed to deal any kind of damage during boss fights?
It's always a truckload of HP they have, I have to spend three hours doing the same tedious "go stealth, do backstab" bullshit over and over.
Is there an actual way to raise damage or shit is forever "lol enjoy spending the next three hours on this cunt".
Hell, I can't even get S on the score because the time it's always on D or C at most, so there must be something I'm missing.

Are you sure you're fighting the right bosses? It's possible you've stumbled into a fight you're supposed to do much later in the game, if you're doing things in the right order and not doing something dumb like only leveling int and never using spells you should be going through boss fights pretty fast.

I've killed the Yeti, the Fuckface at the mines, the Raven, Big Faggot Ice Dragon, Fire Fag and I can't remember what else.
I got the bigass sword a bit upgraded (5 damage, 5% crit) and bow and dagger with poison, didn't upgrade much of the spells because I mostly don't use them other than to heal and do the cloak and dagger thing.
I'm level 14 and I am currently fighting a faggot that has a lance and spam dark balls that stun me, got a lot of armors (cloaks, plates and whatnot) and I'm missing about 5-6 assists, also got the templar bracelets (which only drain -5% of damage in exchange for fukken mana steal).
Seriously, every single fight I ever did was a god damn pain in the ass.
I want some serious damage stacking, I want to be able to kill a boss in less than a minute or at least to only see the same fucking move be looped no more than ten times.
The only boss I enjoyed was the Ice Dragon, the rest are such a fucking drag, literally me going stealth, backstabbing (I got 100% crit on it) and boom back to invulnerable stealth.
WHY THE FUCK DO THEY TAKE SO LONG TO FUCKING DIE, I STUCK MY BLADE IN YOUR THROAT 779 TIMES NOW, JUST FUCKING DIE, I AM BASICALLY INVULNERABLE ANYWAY, I STILL GOT 3 MANA POTIONS AND MY MP BAR ISN'T EVEN HALF EMPTY, JUST FUCKING DIE that is basically what goes on my mind every fucking boss fight.

Nevermind.
I just hacked it because I'm tired of this shit.
I noticed that the damn boss has way over 1k of health, it might actually be 5-10k.
Seriously, who thought this was a good idea?
5-10k of health in a game where you deal 30-50 of damage at a time? 100 if you consider the occasional crit?
It's madness, if you want to make it hard have the bosses react faster, adding tons of HP will only make the fight tedious since I can already dodge all of that shit easily.

This is a pretty neat idea, reminds me of the Holla Forums Gauntlet threads we used to have. I'm always up for threads that let me discover new games.

How playable is Valdis story on a toaster?

That's 5% damage wasted, user. If you can get lifesteal it would be much better. If you aren't using your animation cancel dash for the i-frames, you're doing it wrong. Until you realise they don't go on cooldown until you stop your combo holy shit this is the single worst thing about this game jesus fucking christ whoever thought lel you can only dodge fucking ONCE per combo then fucking wait around and maybe get stunlocked without being able to cancel out of it until a full second of no combat passes AFTER a full 5 seconds of not attacking passes.

Yeah.
A complete waste.
I'm sure that 5% of damage could be used to raise that 30 into a 31, now that's real damage!

The OST is definitely a mixed bag, some forgettable and some really great stuff in there.
Surprisingly, I usually hate sewer levels but the Sewers track is really really good.

i got this game a while back and played with monk. apparently its a harder character to play as but i got to eye of myrgato. never got to beat it but yeah older builds of this game are way different than current build. pretty damn good game, might go back to it and finish the monk godslayer playthrough to play as the other characters. right now im working on hollow knight in case people want a metroidvania game

Wew, double jump is jump an item you craft by talking to one of your crew members. I was looking all over for an item that gave me this ability.

That looks not bad at all, I'll give it a try at some point.

I was hesistant to dump some skill points in magic as Wyatt but the benefits aren't bad at all. With Angel affinity I can spawn some magic swords with my regular blows and they have a chance to stun.

Is Demon affinity better or worse ?

So I think I'm closing in to the end since I just got the Divine Key. I like the game, a good variety in skills and some boss fights are really satisfying (a few are just plain bad though in my opinion).
It's definitely a good mix between a metroidvania and a brawler, in my opinion the weak points are the visuals and by that I mean not just how it looks graphically but also the different areas, there wasn't any that really stuck with me, it may be because of the general art style of the game that I'm not a fan of. The OST has a few great tracks but most of them are forgettable. Also I liked the assist mechanic of the game and the fact that this character levels up too even if I think that most of them aren't that good, the fact that they each have their different effect allow for more combos.

I'll have to look if there isn't any craftable item that I missed that could unlock some more stuff but I think I have everything necessary to get everywhere now.

Wew, the character design really took a 180 from this to the sequel

OP here (I don't know if my ID changed yet again). I've almost finished the game so I guess I can make another thread in a couple of days if enough people are interested, I don't want this being about "my favourite video games are better than yours" long term however. Keeping this in mind and as stated in the OP the games I put here I have not played or played very shortly (under an hour) AND they aren't relatively well known (at least I hope so).

If there's a next thread I was hesitating between

I'm probably gonna run a random number between 1&3 and then decide with that but first I wanna be sure that, first, folks are interested in this kind of thread because I don't want to shit up the board and second, there isn't one game there that feel doesn't really need a thread because it already had enough exposure. I've seen discussion on Holla Forums about all three of these games but it wasn't prominent enough that I think a lot of folks have played them with the exception of maybe NEO Scavenger.

I still don't know if this is going to become a regular occurence, it just happens that I'll have finished Valdis pretty soon so I wanna try another game. If this ever becomes a regular occurence then like an user suggested I think having someone different make a thread each week is the best approach because then we get to try more varied shit. Also if the board ever becomes visibly faster (which may happen around summer, I don't know) then this may have to get scrapped entirely.

Maybe some other anons can chime in but I don't think NeoScavenger is that obscure. Haven't played the other two.

I´d love to see The Suffering for next thread

Great game with an even greater soundtrack, but that's probably just me because I'm a huge sucker for percussion - the entire soundtrack is full of industrial drums and the like, which makes sense considering the setting.

It's actually got a lot of fun lore, too. You explore the entire island the prison is on, not just the prison, so you're bound to find things hidden away if you go off the beaten path.

Thanks for input lads. I don't want you to get disappointed if the game you want doesn't turn up though, like I said I'm probably going to roll a random number.

The Suffering isn't very fun.

Wow that fight the demon eye was probably one of the worst of the game.

Yeah the Eye fights suck major dong

I got the electricity magic recently and the divine key too so I was exploring a bit when I stumbled on them but I assume both fights are story related. Haven't visited the Sanctuary yet, I did come across an area called Hall of the Fallen with a sign that said to turn back, I suppose I shouldn't get there yet.

Hall of the Fallen is an optional end game area and the Eyes are both meant to be fought right before the end of the game but even then they're still huge pains in the ass to fight.

are you talking about the eye of myrgato?

Yeah, the one in The Pit. For some reason that cunt renerated more health than damage I could dish when she hit 5% health or something. Had to kill her with a finisher. Got a shitty rating but didn't even care.

yeah had that same problem, got stuck with her, im playing as the monk on godslayer but was still unable to beat her. this guys beats the shit out of her with no problem

Really fired up my neurons I'm not very good at this game it seems

Also haven't found any new weapon for Wyatt yet, I probably should try looking for that because I just tried fighting Anemone and it's just slightly easier than the Eye fights.

just beat her, if using the monk all you gotta do is corner her on the left side of the stage and stun her with jump and attack, i pressed that shit like no other for 40 seconds and beat her with a 240 hit combo, got an A on time since i was only doin 50-85 dmg despite having a damn 83% crit chance but got S rank on the other 2 and total of S rank. that video pumped me up. defeated her on my 2nd try despite dying to her like 20 times all those months ago i played this. i dont know how that fag was doin 200-700 dmg. i have the same stats as he does, could be a different build of the game

Maybe he dished so much damage because of the weapon ? In the video he had a staff, if I remember the grill starts with her fists. I didn't upgrade my weapon yet because I'm waiting to see what the others are since the materials are limited but right now I'm almost at the end of the game and didn't find anything yet.

Also how the hell do you guard break consistently against bosses ? Is it just a chance on heavy attacks ? Sometimes I break the boss' guard and stun them during fights and some other time I have to do a skill cancel to get around them.

I think on some bosses opposite element attacks guardbreak and on some you just can't regardless of attack.

Makes sense then.

he had that book accesory which allows you to do major dmg against gods and demi god but it costs you health, thats why his health was droppin, i just used it against the left eye of alagath. guard break happens when you deal massive dmg, and i have 4 weapons for the monk but stuck with dark totem which rapes enemies and bosses. right now though for some reason certain bosses that were added in the latest update wont show up and certain crew members arent appearing either which is a bummer

the book is called teachings of life blade and apparently for some reason my game was playing as if it was an older build since i was losing health while equipin it but recent build, the book is a passive key item that enhances your attack moves in focus mode, it no longers drains your health but it only increases damage during focus mode. basically my game is all fucked up now though certain areas dont have the new bosses

Oh wow True Anemone is a fucking bitch to fight, the little crabbos wreck my shit up. I might have to upgrade my armor.

its an annoying boss but if you got any leech life stuff you should be able to keep healin up on those crabs and hittin the tentacles. i beat the game last night and playin as vladin and its really different, he can be either range, melee, or summoner and have like up to 3 minions, im doin a gun build but gettin my shit rekt cuz you start on hurrk fighting the poison fags

How was the sequel?

Meh
It adds more on the insanity form where you actually change looks and get better powers from staying on one path, but it made neutral completely pointless since it gets no powers at all besides the normal ground pound move
Then they decided to be more action oriented than survival
There are parts where you mostly fight these soldier dudes who can really eat a dick on harder difficulties, you have turret sections, really annoying bossfights, the inability to carry more than two weapons, weapon crates that give you infinite ammo for one weapon and it feels more linear than the first one
Monster design still looks fucking great though and you can still find lots of lore stuff to read
also on a side note: Installing Ties that Bind breaks the first game for some reason

I love the demon battle theme for this game. "Don't Back Down" is a very fitting name for it.

I think The Suffering and NEO Scavenger are something that a fair amount of anons have played but having a thread on them wouldn't hurt.
That Full Bore game though, never heard of it. If it ends up being that game it could be a nice discovery for some anons but expect the thread to die soon-ish since I don't see a lot of discussion happening on it (puzzle/platformers games aren't very long usually too).

This is a very good thread idea as long as you adhere to these standards. These threads can be about both Holla Forums playing vidya and expanding general knowledge on Holla Forums. It's nice that you're trying to expand everyone's libraries, and I hope to see more of these threads.

Man I love The Suffering. I never did beat the second one due to it not being backwards compatible with the 360. Might just have to emulate it and finish it that way.

Just install the pc version from theisozone
Their download link should still work

I like the idea as well.

I'd hop on this if I wasn't already playing OneShot and Yakuza 0