Emulation Thread

Original Hardware Fags Hate It!

Post here to learn ONE WEIRD TRICK for AWESOME Emulation! Hint: It's Retroarch

FAQ
That is not a question.
That continues to baffle our top scientists.
Depends on the system, the game, and how far away you are from your screen. As an example, for Genesis games, transparency effects are broken without a shader that offers heavy blending, like an NTSC shader.
That's not a question either, but your concern is noted.

Other urls found in this thread:

libretro.com/index.php/retroarch-2/
libretro.com/index.php/api/
buildbot.libretro.com/nightly/playstation/
buildbot.libretro.com/nightly/nintendo/
coinopsproject.freeforums.org/index.php
zophar.net/consoles/ps2.html
wiki.dolphin-emu.org/index.php?title=Cubivore:_Survival_of_the_Fittest
github.com/libretro/beetle-psx-libretro/issues/136
community.linuxmint.com/tutorial/view/877
xtiming.sourceforge.net/cgi-bin/xtiming.pl
focusattack.com/brook-super-converter-playstation-2-to-ps3-ps4-adapter/
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Video_game_console_emulator#Legal_issues)
en.rocket
bb
lmgtfy.com/?q=retroarch
filthypants.blogspot.com/2014/07/crt-royale-and-3dfx-shaders.html
gitgud.io/nixx/WebMConverter
forums.dolphin-emu.org/Thread-formatting-memory-card
portalroms.com/
zonatorrent.com/
ww38.estrenoswii.com/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Btw, I'm intelligent, I mean my IQ is in the double digits - Pretty high, I've got to say. But how do you get games on this thing? Is it just a container for emulators, and nothing else? A shitty knockoff of the ps3?

Shit TV filter makes Genesis games look gorgeous.

Yes, Retroarch is a "shitty knockoff of the ps3". You can't even play Demon Souls on it.

Things get more complicated with 3D games.

As an owner of damn near every game system, I have nothing against emulation. I believe that it is more comfortable to play games with the original controllers, on the original hardware (modded if you desire), but that's just my personal preference. Hipsters have sabotaged the classic game market, ramping up the prices for everything to absurd levels. Even Neo Geo MVS (arcade) carts, which used to be pretty cheap, are now shooting up because the idiots are aware of the option to consolize an MVS (converting a Neo Geo arcade board into something more user-friendly). Emulation is pretty much the best way to play everything now, no doubt. It's not 2004 anymore.

That said, way to not answer

I don't think that was a serious question, user.

You wouldn't emulate a gf

Seriously though what is this filter called? NTSC?

Its called TV mode in Kega Fusion
Dunno about RA

That's one of the NTSC S-Video filters, yes. Many genesis games relied on a similar effect from TVs for blending. Compare the floor between the two images, and the glass around and above Jim.

Another example would be in where the tree without blending has a green line of pixels through it, while it's brown when properly blended with the NTSC filters.

There is nothing wrong with wanting to collect original hardware to preserve and get a feel for how the game is to be played from such. Unfortunately the floor of entry for collecting older hardware is much higher than the floor of entry for collecting ROMs.

That said, emulation is fucking great, giving your computer the ability to run as much software as possible is fantastic. I think the only reason why retards play devils advocate when it comes to emulation in these threads boils down to
1.) Their computers are too fucking weak to play anything past the N64
2.) They are too retarded to understand how to set it up
or
3.) They do not appreciate the absolute time and effort spent on making emulation as accurate as possible. They think emulation is all spaghetti code that will never match the original hardware. Which is not true, Dolphin was programmed by fucking wizards, they're all autistic purists who got Gamecube emulation down to lowest-level MMU commands

Lets not get crazy here
Dolphin has a really shitty software renderer and relies on HLE emulation. You'll be in a bad spot if you want to play anything but Mario on it.

I'm confused but interested. Retroarch sounded like a emulation friendly Linux distro at first, but what is this thing? A collection of emulators or just a front end? What would this get me over just running emulators directly?
Also, pls no bully on us original hardware fags. I love my NES and NES controllers, it just isn't the same experience otherwise (I miss my CRT) but even I have to admit to the awesomeness that is a good filter (2x super sai ftw).

Read these:
libretro.com/index.php/retroarch-2/
libretro.com/index.php/api/
I won't bully you for enjoying OG hardware, especially when it comes to controllers, but I'll fucking bully you for thinking that's a good filter.

That was actually a bad joke. As an original hardware fan I have mixed feelings about filters. I mean, there simply is no way to recreate the original experience of my childhood without the exact right hardware on a CRT. There just isn't. E.g. Scanlines on a digital monitor are a laughable attempt to approximate the experience.
Having said that, I've been emulating almost as long as I've been gaming (thus the Nesticle reference) and I do like the idea of pushing the original source material to its extreme. So like upscaling textures before applying them to PS1 models and then rendering the whole thing at a native 1080p…that's pretty neat. And while it is nothing like what I remember playing, so there is only a limited nostalgia factor, it does breathe some new life into old titles.

>libretro.com/index.php/retroarch-2/
>libretro.com/index.php/api/
So this is just a front-end loader for emulators written/adapted to fit their API, and what you gain is a middle man for storing video/sound/input info as well as filter preferences? Did I miss anything? cause that seems like a lot of work considering I've already got 10+ emulators already installed and configured. Not trying to be an asshole, but I'm just honestly wondering if this is worth my time (it doesn't really look like it so far).

27 fucking minute setup tutorial? Jesus H Christ.

Why the fuck does mednafen crash when i start it?

Do you have the bios in the system folder?

yes,i even renamed them

is xbox360 retro now?

It's a little tricky for me to explain since I don't fully understand it 100% inside and out, but you can think of retroarch as actually being made up of several components that work together. What people refer to as retroarch is the frontend that you use to select the specific emulator (referred to as cores) you want to open a rom with, configure retroarch settings, choose the rom you want to run, and download and install "libretro" emulators.

Libretro is a software library of common emulator functions . The idea is that by writing an emulator using libretro, that emulator can be easily ported to any platform retroarch is ported to. In addition, relevant configurations can be easily shared between emulators, such as controller bindings. I've also read that libretro emulators have some improvements in decreasing audio and video latency, but I don't know enough to comment on that. Libretro forks of many popular emulators exist, so it can emulate most systems out there.

The drawbacks of retroarch is its UI (which is often complained about) and lack of development of some libretro ports. For example, PPSSPP is on version 1.3 or so, but the libretro port hasn't been updated and is currently on 1.0. The UI isn't as bad as people say, but it can be hard to find certain configuration options. For example, to find settings specific to an emulator, I had to start the emulator by loading a rom, change out of full screen, and choose to open the emulator's settings in the window.

Lastly, there is Lakka, which is sort of a linux distro made for PCs that are dedicated emulation boxes. There Its made by the retroarch team, but from what I understand it's early in development. There are similar projects such as recalbox and retropie that I've heard are more developed.

My answer is: maybe? If you want to run an emulator on a console or ARM based computer like android phones or raspberry pi clones, there's a good chance retroarch will be your only option. On a PC it's a little harder to justify due to it's learning curve, but it has some benefits.

Also sorry for the huge wall of text. Like MAME, it just isn't very user friendly due to the complexity, but once you start to get it, it isn't so bad.

Give it about 5 more years.

By the way, is anyone into C64 emulation? I've been tinkering with it a little bit but I wanna know…

My nigga. How's Cubivore on Dolphin these days? It's been a while since I've emulated Gamecube.

same but on systems where emulation is not feasible and i've been having the time of my life

buildbot.libretro.com/nightly/playstation/
buildbot.libretro.com/nightly/nintendo/
coinopsproject.freeforums.org/index.php
zophar.net/consoles/ps2.html I can't vouch for these, though

On my thinkpad with dual core 2.3ghz i5 (turbo up to 2.8ghz) and intel hd520, I can play just about any gamecube or wii game I want at full speed, as long as graphics are 1x and I use directx 11. This is possible with new revisions of Ishiiruka based on Dolphin 5.0. I'm playing Super Mario Galaxy with no dips in frames that my eyes can see (I do timestretch audio so I cannot hear static if it dips like 3 frames or so, but I don't think it's dipped once), and no hitches like in Dolphin because of Async shaders. Using a PS4 controller, I use the touchpad to control the pointer and pick up starbits. The only thing was, SMG requires EFB access and its enabled by default, but to avoid framedrops I switched that to FAST EFB access, and it works perfectly that way. Oh and yeah, I enabled a higher vram in my bios and set everything to max performance to make sure the full intel HD was being used. Some of the less demanding games, I can bump up the internal resolution a bit.

This is fucking magical guys. How the fuck does Dolphin's dev team pull off accuracy and performance like this? It's amazing.

"""""""""""""""""""""""accuracy""""""""""""""""""""

So where'd you get all your free games from?

I've yet to have issues with a single game I've tried. Fuck off.

What, you can't tell when someone's baselessly talking shit?

according to the dolphin wiki, the game is emulated perfectly and you can use an AR code to play the game in 16:9

Here's a link wiki.dolphin-emu.org/index.php?title=Cubivore:_Survival_of_the_Fittest

Wasn't one of the devs an insane tranny who killed himself?

Late response since the caffeine tabs stopped working and I fell asleep for a couple of hours. This user pretty much covered it:

Realistically the setup time is going to be in the neighborhood of

Is there a way to make the 3d models more clean?
DS game btw

oh
I was full screening at the time, that's why the resolution was bad

I'm so dumb

You can increase the internal resolution.

Stay strong emulation anons, Shills are going to becoming in full force for the new gimmick paper weight that Nintendo is shitting out along with their nuzelda 4 a nugeneration. Don't forget all the Sony shits too.

EMULATION AND PIRACY FOR LIFE
Of course give money to devs and games that deserve it
But be honest, that doesn't exist anymore

like this?

I honestly can't tell from your pic. As an example, this is what you get from doubling the internal resolution. Do note that performance requirements increase substantially, but there's far less pixelation with the 3D content.

Dolphin's dev team is easily the best emu dev team of all time.

Mednafen PSX HW core crashes Retroarch despite having the correct files with correct names & correct md5 hashes. What's more bizarre is that it was working at one point, but one day I try to start it & it simply stops working & refuses to work on any device I have.

I updated the core, updated Retroarch, uninstalled/reinstalled every x86 & x64 C++ redist, updated video drivers & still my PSX core crashes the moment I try to load any game with it. Meanwhile my N64 core works fine. It's a damn shame since I'd played through so many Playstation games before it stopped working & had many more to play. I may have to use another emulator like ePSXe.

It is capable of booting every commercial GameCube title

Connect computer to CRT, which Retroarch supports. Get NES controller adapter for computer.

OR

Wii with homebrew to CRT, use classic controller or NES mini controller.

OR

Use an everdrive(?) flashcart to play NES games for free off an SD card.

You have many options fam.

Speaking of which, anyone happen to have a SD2SNES? How well does it work, and is it worth the $200 dollary-doos? I'm mainly asking because I want one to play MSU-1 games and romhacks on original hardware.

What the fuck

Don't us adapters god damn it. Just learn to fucking mod an original controller for 10-20$. It is so much more satisfying and no adapter lag. Yes, I have tested both side by side and there is sometimes up to 2 second delays on the adapter controller.
I have heard the WII to CRT homebrew setup has a 3-4 second lag issues with most games. Never tested it before.

Flashcarts with original hardware are fine, no fucking clue why they are expensive besides if its retro, faggots will charge tooth n nail for it cause
ITS SUPER COOL RETRO RIGHT NOW

Just get a laptop for 200$ and a modded controller of your choice, boom, you can play anything up till a Ps2.

Yeah, I dunno why, but the SD2SNES is around that price range, its main selling point being that it can play games modified to use the MSU-1 chip. I've been going back and forth on whether it's even worth it compared to the Everdrive, considering my fucking Wii can pull that shit off now, but if I do it, it's mainly for that and romhacks.

I heard its also really good to have if you are making your own Snes game and want to try it out.

Retroarch is for dorks. Anything else I can use instead that I can double click it and just works out of the box?

It sorta counts because it is technically running an emulator

Is there anyway to make this piece of shit run at 60hz and to not make it sound like ass as well?

no

After updating Retroarch to 1.4.1 my PSX HW core works, but now has this retarded issue: github.com/libretro/beetle-psx-libretro/issues/136

& now after updating Retroarch to 1.4.1 my N64 core cannot use sstates. Tried another N64 core, same problem. Perhaps an all-in-one emulator just leads to more possible problems? Now I'm afraid to test other things since they're probably all broken in some way.

Mine works but if I open the menu it crashes (with vulkan, and gl fucks some graphics up) Not-HW mednafen working fine though

Doesn't mean it can play them correctly

It works but the audio gets fucked up with Vsync enabled.

I didn't really give a shit but here's some condescension right back.
Emulators past the NES are by and large inaccurate. If your game works, great, but emulators are not 100% accurate, and you will eventually run into quirks and emulator exclusive problems.

You are much better off modding the original hardware and downloading roms. This is the objectively superior experience. If you don't have teh means to do so, fine, but do acknowledge that in the end, with emulators you're only really playing with toys.

Game consoles are toys.
So, mission accomplished, I guess.

In the end, it's just video games. We love them, but they shouldn't be something to bicker over.

It's not objectively superior if I can play gamecube and wii games in HD widescreen flawlessly on my convenient computer. 90% of games working with no issues at all, and especially the popular ones, means Dolphin is way better than Gamecube and Wii.

The Mednafen PSX HW core is like super super alpha. The Software core is more accurate than Sony's PSX emulator. I don't know why you're trying to use a very incomplete alpha core vs the software core that blows every other PSX emulator the fuck out.
Mupen64plus works perfectly with save states with 1.4.1, and that is the core you should be using.
There are more things the end-user can fuck up, for sure, but if you check the documentation for the cores you're looking to install, you'll find that you can avoid all of those issues.

Don't take the bait, these faggots do this in every thread. Filter them and move on.

A while back I was running retroarch on linux and feeding it to my RGB monitor after changing the horizontal refresh rate using something called modelines. You have to be able to look up or guess the game's resolution perfectly though or it won't look perfect. Anyway if this is anything that appeals to some autist here they should be able to figure it out based on what I have said. It's the ultimate frontier in emulation.

more shit:
community.linuxmint.com/tutorial/view/877
xtiming.sourceforge.net/cgi-bin/xtiming.pl
you're aiming for 15.75khz horizontal refresh but close enough is good enough

I got the Mednafen PSX HW working with some games after almost fucking killing myself, and then I went back to ePSXe because I'm a faggot. I'm gonna try the software core because I didn't know HW was alpha, fuck.
Honestly, I don't see myself using RetroArch for most of my stuff, because I've been using this for so long and I'm familiar with how each emulator works, while RetroArch gets on my fucking nerves sometimes with that awful interface.
Also, feel free to point out the mess that my emulation folder is.

So I can't mod the console or take it apart and try to fix it or anything?

When you get the time, would you mind taking a picture of something like Donkey Kong or SF2 on that?. I bet they'd look great.

Heh.
Well yeah, that's the ZSNES argument in a nutshell right there. When "good enough" stops being "good enough", you may find yourself motivated to make the transition.
The interface is rock solid when you consider it's designed so that you don't need a mouse to get the most out of it. It has a little bit of a learning curve of just figuring out where everything is, and if you aren't particularly computer literate it's definitely going to be overwhelming with the sheer amount of options getting thrown in your face, but once you've got that shit figured out it's extremely fast to navigate with just a gamepad.

You are indeed correct. Emulating wii and GC games is usually the superior experience, especially if your game is fully compatible and there are enhancements available for it - though many ARE compatible, but are not 100% complete, such as graphical/sound errors and so on.

In this case, (provided you don't need a wiimote), emulating is definitely the better option, since emulators for wii and GC have come so far. For nearly all other cases, the original hardware is better.

Ideally, emulators would be perfect and we can leave the original hardware to collectors. Sadly, it will be a while until this is the case.

This is what you get for being so condescending in the OP. Honestly, I'm just playing devils advocate - I can see the benefits to both sides.

when is rearmed going to be updated so I can play PSX on 3DS without shit sound

cant be done, sound chip is different, hardware too

I don't really use VBA or ZSNES anymore, I only used ePSXe because I'm lazy but I'll use RetroArch for PSX from now on.
If my gamepad wasn't some fucking bootleg ripoff of some cheap controller and RetroArch detected the buttons correctly, I wouldn't mind it. I just opened up RetroArch and now it seems way easier to navigate with kb, for some reason. I guess doing anything when sleep deprivated really pisses me off.

Greetings my Turkish friend.

Probably never. PSP and Android are what we're stuck with for good handheld PSX emulation currently.

You really should invest in a good gamepad for emulation, user. It makes all the difference.

The 8bit Guy on (((YouTube))) had a video on that. The sound can be slightly un-fucked.

Yeah nothing like exploiting game logic by having much more viewable screen space the game never wanted you to have just so you don't need to pillarbox in your shitty 8bpp 1080p display, that sure is an ideal experience

I have an original Dual Shock 2, and I just need an adapter but I live in the middle of fucking nowhere. I have to travel 8 km / 5 miles just to get to closest city. I did that on foot once and it wasn't the most pleasant experience.

focusattack.com/brook-super-converter-playstation-2-to-ps3-ps4-adapter/

shit
it looks promising on N3DS if they could just get the FPS locked and the sound fixed

Am i being b8'd? I find it hard to believe that even the biggest supporters of hardware actually hate emulation or roms, which Is the best way we have of preserving games.

See

Into the filter you go, threadshitter :^)

Now now don't be hasty, he's probably just ignorant, underestimating human stupidity on the internet. Give him a chance before you just filter him along with the trash.

That's for the Radica Sega Genesis, which uses actual genesis hardware, the ATGames Genesis is what I'm talking about.

Oh, so it is a bait thread, I gotchu fam.

I don't think its bait, which is the funny thing. Its an actual reaction the op had to a handful of autists who would pop up once in a while talking about how some emulation for shit loke n64 or saturn is shit, nitpick graphics artifacts, and a crt autist who always made the same post. Its an actual defensive reaction to getting shit on by a few fags who made a handful of posts in other generals.

I think some of those same people make console modding threads and i remember a crt thread from like a month ago that was like 40 posts by one person shitting on crts and having a screeching fit over how the crt autist op ruins emulation threads

Its incredible this is the board we frequent, no wonder quality has gone down the shitter

Retroarch a shit.

I've been fucking around with emulators on my linux laptop all morning and only just now got KEGA Fusion to work.
Retroarch freezes on start-up.
ePSXe closes when I try to launch a game.
DGEN crashes before a menu loads and can't find a way to configure controls.
Some other Genesis emulator refused to compile at all.

what toaster are you running lad?

Don't think it's reasonably fixable. Cursory research has thread after thread, and review after review, of people saying the sound issue comes from fucked up emulation, and there's a lot of those fuckers floating around so I imagine if there was a simple fix, someone would have done it and documented it by now.

I never post in buyfag/collector threads, as I'm not a buyfag/collector and I don't get anything out of ruining their threads.

However, a couple of dedicated autists insist on baiting in every emu thread, which takes the thread from useful Q&A to endless shitposting on both sides. By getting out in front of that, and ensuring they're identified and filtered immediately instead of getting the responses they crave, the thread is not derailed and we can enjoy on-topic discussion.
You're directly contributing to that by attempting to further derail yet another thread.

Don't know what distro you're using, but this vid might be able to steer you in the right direction.

One I found in my sister's closet.

LXLE (lubuntu)

I expected nothing and yet I was still disappointed.

No way. I tried to use it, but what is the deal with that interface? Seriously, what the hell is that? It's a serious contender for the most convoluted, unintuitive, idiotic load of shit I've ever seen. It never decides that it should be controlled with a gamepad or kb/m, so you have this hybrid clusterfuck that never quite makes full sense. Fuck it, I'll just download a bunch of console-specific emulators.

You want to feel pain?
Get retroarch on your phone, try navigating THAT shit as your first experience with retroarch.

And I got it for free, so I guess we're even, Constanga.

I exclusively use a gamepad to control it. What problems exactly where you having, and what UI elements were you getting caught up on? I could probably walk you through setting it all up in a couple of minutes.

Navigate with arrow keys, enter and backspace. Also pressing ESC exits RetroArch no matter how far you are into the options, because fuck you, apparently.

I wouldn't use that toaster even if someone paid me.

Yes, that's the default hotkey for 'Quit Retroarch'. You can change that under the input hotkey section.

Yeah, but it doesn't even show a text box asking if I really want to quit. That's what pisses me off.

Understandable, that would be a good UI addition.

Is it just me or it can't even handle compressed ROMs?

Couldn't tell you, I've never used zipped ROMs.

I mean if you want your genesis or snes games, pretty much anything is fine at this point, but no other PS1 emulator comes even close. Even mednafen, which you would expect to be identical since it's used as a core is inferiour.

Ayy, we've come a looooong fucking way, haven't we?

That thing is a clusterfuck with an insane learning curve for the setup process. I spent like 6 hours trying to get that piece of shit to work correctly before giving up and uninstalling.

Don't bother unless you're a super-autist with a Raspberry Pi, or if you can find a preconfigured folder with the emulators in the right spot, the right settings, and everything.

Mednafen's a picky bastard about the bios. Check the emulation wiki for a download link for all the correct bios files.

Chuck it in the bin and get a real Genesis or emulate with Kega Fusion.

user as I explained earlier, it's a 10 minute procedure tops, with most of that (optionally) downloading thumbnails or scanning your rom directories to populate your system playlists which is all automated.

If you need help, you could just ask.

Not sure what you're referring to but I went through

And finally Retroarch. It blows everything out of the water.

How about a real-time comparison video

Retroarch isn't a problem, user. That works fine. I was talking about the LaunchBox frontend some people try to use. It's designed for Pi's and trying to use it in Windows is hopeless.

If you expect me to set up like 5 different emulators and and record webms just for you then tough shit nigga I aint doing that.
Maybe frame pacing is not the correct word, but more tech savvy anons will understand what exactly I'm talking about.

Basically easiest for you would be to run some Omega Boost or Symphony of the Night first on epsxe and then on pSX to understand what I'm talking about.

That's not very cash money of you, user.

Bleem was the first commercial Playstation emulator. It was super impressive at the time (or novel, I guess), but it was buggy as fuck and today would make even epsxe look top-tier by comparison.

Oh, Launchbox. Yeah, I get where you're coming from with that one.

I'm so ashamed of myself I don't have appropriate reaction image. Have a kojimbo.

Did they get sued?

They did, and they actually won the lawsuit.

Is this why trigger happy jewtendo doesn't do shit about Dolphin and Cemu even though they work without bios files?
Because there is a precedent of emulator crew winning the case?

I think that's about the gist of it. I assume watching Sega and Sony get slapped down in the courts over emulation (en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Video_game_console_emulator#Legal_issues) has kept jewtendo focused instead of targeting fan projects that actually infringe on their IPs.

Correct. Emulators are perfectly legal as long as they aren't distributed with the official bios or some other form of code owned by the company.

Trying to say emulators should be illegal is like saying knives should be illegal because you can stab people with them.

So do you guys think that Cemu has secretly stolen WiiU bios in it or dev is just huge fat jew? Or both?

Bleem! got sued by Sony but Bleem! won the lawsuit. However, the legal fees were too high for Bleem! to pay and they eventually went out of business.

Doesn't need one. Same thing with the Gamecube and Wii.

Tip top kek

Here you go famalam

Is this guy literally retarded?

How accurate has PCSX2 become?
Would I be better off nabbing a PS2 for cheap and setting up a hard drive loader?
I still haven't played the Ratchet and Clank games yet, and from cursory research they seem to have strange rendering issues.

What kind of asshole parent calls their child Rempo?

Hoxs is better than vice, it has better audio emulation and better AV sync. Vice is still good though.
As for roms, TOSEC have a mostly complete set. It's probably up on archive.org.

Don't be a fool my friend. Just use the regular mednafen core. The HW one is buggy as fuck.

Yes. Retroarch.

Is there a linux version of CRT Emudriver? I use it to run win7 on my CRT and it's super simple.

I was interested in contributing to this thread, but not anymore. Can we get this thread again, by someone who's not a faggot like OP?

Not very.
If you don't already have a very fast PC, yes, a modded PS2 is going to be much cheaper.

The same kind of parents who name their children Pikachu.
en.rocket news24.com/2012/11/28/japanese-politician-takes-a-stand-against-parents-naming-their-children-pikachu/
bb c.co.uk/newsbeat/article/36904034/parents-are-naming-their-children-after-pokemon-go-characters

One thing I love about emulation is that a lot of autistic hardwarefags act like they're so above emulation and elitist yet act like butthurt niggers every time it's brought up. It makes emulation more fun.

My problem with original hardware is that games still stagger and drop frames on it, especially on PS2 and Wii.
Even if PCSX2 is inaccurate and is a mess from engineering standpoint, games that work on it work better than on a goddamn console.

Get Launchbox. I had the same problem with going through so many directories to play a rom, but getting Launchbox is a godsend. Not only does it immediately connect to all Retroarch emulators, but it can connect to others like Dolphin. It can even connect to any applications, so hell yeah you can play some fangames.

You don't actually have to do that though, you were just somehow missing the 'Scan Directory' function on the menu which will put all of your roms in tidy playlists for each platform, optionally with nice thumbnails.

What a paradox

Even then, Retroarch would still miss some roms. Besides Launchbox is so much better because it groups all your games including Steam,fangames and roms.

It won't miss them, it just won't add roms that fail the dat check to the list. Even with launchbox, I would still recommend downloading romvault and the latest no-intro dats to get your collection in order.

Is it normal that almost every game on PCSX2 has slowdown? I would say my computer is just not powerful enough, but I think I have a pretty decent computer (I can play new games like Witcher 3 comfortably). Are these settings or something I can tweak to make it playable? I tried to play Godhand but even following an emulation guide, I got around 20 fps, was not enjoyable.

You'll have to list a few more games for examples, God Hand in particular is known to have some bad performance with the default settings. Here's some recommended settings and don't forget to check the PCSX2 wiki for any known compatibility issues

Also don't forget that emulation is CPU-intensive, not GPU-intensive, so being able to play high end PC games isn't necessarily a guarantee you can emulate everything comfortably

that pic you posted is the exact guide I followed and didn't seem to help. But since you mentioned it's CPU-intensive, I do have a pretty unbalance build, with a GPU a lot better than my CPU. So maybe that's it.

For MGS2 I know the fix, it's an audio issue. Set the sound to "asynchronous" and it will fix it. I know I've emulated Nocturne and didn't notice any problems so I can't help there

Meant RomCenter for fixing. RomVault is for archival.

What CPU do you have?

AMD phenom II with 6 cores @ 2.8 Ghz

That's definitely going to be a major stumbling block for PCSX2 which values high single thread performance.

I would assume it's because of modern hardware just brute forcing through all the bullshit with sheer calculation speed.
AC Nexus frequently dops frames on PS2, but never on PCSX2. Plus (sometimes) it looks sharper.
I just wish there was a way to turn obnoxious motion blur off.

I thought this was an isolated issue for certain games but seems like its a general issue(not emulating system speed correctly even without overclocking) for PCSX2.

Because the people making them tend to be the only ones, if it was a mass produced good it'd be less.

The investment in the longrun is honestly worth it if you consider the cost of individual games. Especially popular titles for that console.

So you're saying emulator should perform as poorly as the console because that's "accurate"?

As a baseline, yes, I think 1:1 reproduction is what we should be striving for. After that, throw on as many optional enhancements as you want, and see how far you can push it without breaking anything.

Absolutely, that should be the first and main focus of any emulator. Take DK64 and its character movement being tied to framerate for example.

That's fucking retarded.

You're fucking retarded.

"muh accuracy" fags are cancer but i actually fundamentally agree with you that emulators should become perfectly stable and accurate BEFORE they start tacking a bunch of retarded shit only 3% of people will use, care about or even know about

Hardware fags are truly delusional.

It's not even because the features are lesser used, but striving to make an emulator accurate down to the faults lays a good solid foundation for all the extra features later. Emulators that put extra shit before accuracy end up relying on all sorts of jankey hacks and shit which become a nightmare to manage and eventually fall behind as the more accurate ones continue to improve.

I think he's just baiting at this point.

It's not just as simple as, say, just simulating a console's CPU running ~20% faster. That may fix the slowdowns in one section of a game, but maybe it introduces crashes, or glitches, or bricks your saves. Maybe for one game it has no negative effects at all, and just removes the slowdowns.

"Enhancements" like that need to be handled on a per-game basis with a lot of testing. You'd be fucking furious if you were in your end-game grind section of FFX and discovered that the overclock hack you had been using broke some data flag somewhere during one of the obscure monster arena fights, and now the game crashes whenever you try to enter Sin, right? Maybe that problem was introduced in the last build, or maybe it was introduced years ago, but nobody ran into that highly specific situation that caused the issue to manifest.

I don't object to enhancing the game beyond what the original hardware was capable of, in fact I'm 100% for it, but it needs to be handled very carefully when you step out of the realm of, say, increasing the internal resolution or adding AA/AF, and start emulating different clock speeds in order to remove slowdown present on the original hardware.

I think there's something to getting the "authentic experience", if that's what you're after, but yes, that mindset is obnoxious as fuck when they're trying to cram it down everyone's throat.

He could be, but I just think he hasn't really thought it through yet.

accuracy is essential and determines the value of an emulator as a whole. An inaccurate emulator is a novelty, but is absolutely trash.

Chrono Trigger is a good example of an SNES game that looks pretty terrible unfiltered on an LCD screen. Everything is jagged/blocky, and even a simple meme squares CRT filter can break it up and nicely smooth out the image.

Why not just use a simple bilinear filter?
Unlike Genesis most SNES games don't use dithering dependent on the TV signal distortion.

Its no longer 2003

[CURRENT YEAR]

The crt filter doesn't look as blurry as the bilinear filter.

Personal preference for me. If dithering isn't a factor, and I'm sitting close to the screen, that level of blurring bugs the shit out of me, so in that case I'd prefer something like CRT+Svideo or Scalines+Bloom that both really make the image pop.

If I'm sitting far enough away that the blur wouldn't bother me, I'd rather use an SVideo shader that greatly enhances the colors and provides a more organic blurring.

I'd just like to interject for a moment. What you're referring to as Retroarch, is in fact, Retroarch running the Mednafen core, or as I've recently taken to calling it, Retroarch plus Mednafen.

Playability is essential and determines the value of an emulator as a whole. A non-playable emulator is a novelty, but is absolutely trash.

Trading accuracy for performance is often a good idea when the emulator cannot manage a consistent framrate otherwise. There are also occasional issues where the accurate portrayal of the game can be improved upon. Accuracy itself is a novelty at best, but it does function as an indicator. The more accurate an emulator is the less likely games will glitch and fail to run, but it is by no means a guarantee.

Testing APNG for an animated comparison of DK2.

Consolefags hate emus because it just reinforces pc master race so much. Anyone should remember the tears shed the day a court ruled emus were completely legal.

Anyone else tend to prefer the unfiltered versions?

The filter he used in that example is just a shitty meme one
DKC looks really nice with bilinear/CRT/Memelines filter

I mean my IQ is in the double digits - Pretty high

Testing this in gif format.

Sure, just like some people prefer SAI-type filters, or prefer their steaks well done and covered in ketchup. It comes down to personal preference, and how much you buy into the "developer's vision" meme. I'm sure you can find people who unironically prefer the un-blended dithering on genesis games.

When will 3DS emulation be playable?

I want N64 emulation to get their shit together. Banjo Tooie still has the problem of random freezing to this day.

Just got done changing my PS1 game's cover art from Burgerland to superior Nippon steel.

The flow of my cum does not cease.

Citra has been making lots of progress at a pretty good clip. I know the OoT remake is already fully playable and looks better than the original.

Sexy box art though.

Certain games are playable from start to finish with some glitches on a higher end system.
Etrian Odyssey 4 would be one of them

But LXLE is actually pretty

I made it ugly.

Why in the ==GOD DAMN FUCK== are you not emulating ==PEPSI MAN== right ==FUCKING NOW I FUCKING HATE YOU YOU FUCKING FAGGOTS==

Is it better than Cool Spot?

In addition to I see you haven't read the FAQ or have forgotten how to do it. Either way be gone with a rope.

New DK2 NTSC shader comparison, now with working .apng support.

Maybe

haha what a total idiot you sure got him

Isn't CRT-Royal meant for 4k displays?
Why are you using it for such a low resolution?

It definitely looks better on 4k, but it still works nicely on 1920x1080 with some games.

So which one do you fatties think is better?
First one is filterless.

Actually the aspect ratio is fucked.
But not bully.

Turn on integer scaling, and slap on an NTSC filter (256 for SNES, 320 for Genesis) or that dithering is going to remain unblended and look ugly as fuck.

Filterless.

Thanks user I was looking for the setting that did just that.

It just makes everything look like blurry crayon blobs. What's wrong with using s-video filters to blend dithering?

That's a problem with the majority of Holla Forums unfortunately.

I think most people are unaware of just how good you can make a game look with the right filter, especially if the emulators they've been using have limited options on that front. That's why I've been making these shader comparisons, so the anons who've only tried awful meme filters (and thus think unfiltered is the best) can see what they're missing.

What0s the difference Between Wii Pikmin and GC Pikmin? I've wanted to play Pikmin for a long time. Which emulates better in Dolphin?

What's the actual name of the "meme lines & bloom filter"?

Interlacing and TV-mode.

Don't know about Wii vs GC, but the GC version is one of the handful of games that have "perfect" compatibility status on Dolphin, so that would be a safe bet.

There's Hyllian Glow and CRTglow Lanczos, and they're basically the same thing except lanczos is brighter by default. I'm pretty sure the one I used in that pic was lanczos, but they really are basically the same thing.

There's also CRTglow Gauss 3phase which is like Lanczos with an NTSC layer.

sure are lots of emu haters lately. must be buttblasted aussies.

i think it's mostly the same person

having a variable clockspeed isn't what usually causes the removal of original slowdown, it's an imperfect emulation of the machine hardware so you won't necessarily run into the same slowdowns.
i'm not a huge fan of being super accurate mostly because it often requires more resources in the way it gets implemented. i'd rather have inaccurate emulators that work good enough and run on a cheap microcomputer.

Give me some good shaders to use on DQVII

I get where you're coming from, but tech is getting faster and cheaper at a much quicker pace than emulators are getting more accurate, so accuracy is always my number once concern. Get perfect LLE, and then see how accurate you can get your HLE to be. A lot of older emulators just went with HLE, so you ended up with extremely inaccurate emulators that were super toaster friendly, but that's not particularly useful for anyone in my opinion.

Fuck around with shaders in the CRT section. CRT Hyllian Glow looks good for playstation games.

I'm trying to backup and create .bin+.cue files for a couple of my PS2 games which appear to be lacking an online copy already. I have DAEMON Tools Pro installed and can convert it into a digital image fine enough, but how do I bypass/patch the disk DRM and make these two files?

What PS2 disk DRM? I a little while ago created a .iso via WinCmu and it ran just fine in PSXS2. Also it is the file creation is likely to apart of settings somewhere I assume.

PS2 games used, to my understanding, the physical form of the disk itself (not a problem when emulating), checking the BIOS (also not a problem), and bad blocks. These bad blocks will prevent the game from running if they are misplaced/missing, so I wanted to know how to break these, if needed, through Daemon Tools or another program. I've also only had experience using BIN and CUE files when running PSX games, which I've also got some that need a backup.

PS2 games need to be made in .iso format.

LOL

From far away though, they really help with image clarity, almost as good as doubling the resolution.

I don't ever remember seeing memelines on real monitors outside of maybe old arcade displays, but they are similar to the effect produced by the aperture grill mask on those old CRT TVs.

Is ps3 emulation a thing yet?

Barely

I assume that means no nier or demon souls at good frame rates yet
I'll go back to my gamecube backlog then, thanks user

And you won't for a while. Remember the PS3 was a rigged together console notorious for some third party games running like ass on it. If developers have a hard time understanding how that thing worked, it's going to be hell for the devs behind RPCS3

Hipsters are have ruined everything. There was a time I would never part with my collection which I didn't even acquire through autism. I just built it up and took care of my stuff for 25 years. Now I've reached a point where I've become bored with it and want to use that space it occupies for other things. But I can't bear the thought of selling it to some hipster faggot.

Can another sub-culture become popular already so they fuck off and ruin someone elses life?

Thanks for the write up, I honestly appreciate it.

i can honestly tell you that i would be using retroarch right now if i wasn't dangerously autistic and cannot fucking stand retroarch's directory trees. I have a very specific way I like to keep my emulators and roms sorted and for whatever reason i simply could not force retroarch to simply use my directories as default, so every single motherfucking time i tried to load up anything it would force me to manually select the folders i wanted, the rom i wanted, etc

it's probably just a me problem and i really do like the idea that virtually all of the emulators i ever use are stored in one place but fuck man, those little quality of life things are really important

There's an option for setting up directories, you know.

oh i know. i just couldn't get it to actually take. i tried all of the retard-proofing steps for any other program, i tried virtually everything i could think of/google for and still, every time i launched the program it was as if it was the first time. this was about a year ago though, maybe it's worth another shot

kys

Here's a link for you user
lmgtfy.com/?q=retroarch

Assuming RA wasn't lacking write permissions, what was happening was you probably weren't saving your settings before closing the program, or you were closing it by hitting escape instead of the 'quit retroarch' function on the menu which also saves everything.

If you decide to try it again, let me know and I'll walk you through how to set it all up. You can have it do exactly what you described wanting to do earlier, using your existing directories and everything, it's fast and easy.

Eventually

yeah sure buddy
go ahead and try it out

RPCS3 is a thing. Progress is slow but steady, as is the progress for Xenia which disappointingly has an arbitrary processor requirement unlike RPCS3 or Cemu, yet it still doesn't run very well.

Webms I make with mGBA don't want to upload. What's the deal and how do I fix it?

Should note they play fine in media player classic.

What's the error you get from 8ch?

Invalid webm uploaded.

What are you using to record, and what are you using to convert?

Emucucks in a nutshell folks

Its doesn't even run on cemu yet

Hardware cucks in a nutshell folks

My problem with Retroarch is that they keep breaking shit in between "stable" builds. And not just the same things either, completely different, unrelated things. For example, loading ROMs from .zips is super inconsistent, and for whatever reason, the config file never wants to save in half of the builds.

anyone else does this?

What's a good setup for emulating Sega Saturn controller (6 buttons, 2 shoulder, d pad, start) when using a Dualshock 3?

Does anyone have the latest Shining Force III ISOs prepatched? Patching process is asinine (requires physical CD drive).

Nevermind, found them by searching for the version number (v18).

Anyone have a list of all the stuff that carries over between scenerios/missables?

Another non-traditional layout that works shockingly well with the dualshock series.

Im trying to play the metroid prime trilogy but this shit doesnt work on a mouse or a controller. Is there any way to fix the cursor on the centre of the screen, so the camera moves when I move the mouse not when the cursor reaches the screen edge

Also:

Gamecube emulation has finally reached its peak. Too bad it took god knows how long

What controller are you using? Metroid Prime works 100% with my DS4.
Enable Skip EFB Access from CPU and it'll run at 100% all of the time.

I mean it is incredibly unconfortable and hard to play using anything but a real wii controler, because of how camera movement works

I've played it with an OG GC controller, a 360 controller, a DS4, and an Xbone controller, and surprisingly the only one that wasn't comfortable to me was the GC controller since it just doesn't fit my hands well.

If you want to use a wiimote, you can use that on your PC with dolphin, you just need bluetooth connectivity (buy a $10 dongle if you don't have one), and a light bar which you can either make or buy for a couple bucks.

Guys how is the progress on the wii and wiiu? Dolphin seems to be doing pretty fine, cemu was not really playable last time I checked it, smash bros was somewhat working, but it's not really the kind of game I like. Also is there a online community for those games?

Cemu has certain titles playable and Dolphin is chugging along at its usual pace.

Dolphin has decent working netplay, so I imagine there's at least some small online community dedicated to it.

Some titles are working almost flawlessly on CEMU it really depends on the title right now.

For example Bayonetta 1 and 2 have some stuttering and graphical problems but they're being sorted out every new release.

Mario Kart is almost flawless in a lot of ways but then again it depends on your setup.
Check compatibility around for some of your favorite titles user.

Dolphin's fucking amazing now a days.

I just wish the net-play didn't have trouble when dealing with multiple people. Simple shit like Mario Party feels terrible albeit playable. Just don't get me started on Smash with 4 players.

is it really that bad? I remember playing 4 player games online on project64k and it worked well, except that the game would desynch at some point.

Every time ive tried to play smash with friends we go through like 50 hoops and end up where we started.

1 v 1 is fine but when you add in multiple people one desync crashes the whole damn thing and everyone disconnects or shit gets so far apart you are doing things on their end that you aren't on yours.

It's real bad boss, at least from my experience.
Mele was more stable than Brawl so it could be the Wii emulation aspect but we still had a lot of jank issues.

okay I see, it's the same on n64 games. I guess the more complicated the game gets, the harder it is to keep it "alive". I guess this is the best you can get with this free netcode we have right now.

And people always say shit like "just improve the netcode" as if that shit is easy.

Use a real nigga's filter

Is that Royale?

Sure is. Comes with a bunch of different options for s-video, component, even old LCD and stuff. I was only looking for a filter that worked well on old games to get that transparency effect and this was perfect.

filthypants.blogspot.com/2014/07/crt-royale-and-3dfx-shaders.html

It's been a while since I got it so maybe it has been outclassed by now but I haven't looked around much since.

Yours looks better than mine here:

You can see my vertical resolution is too low so the phosphors look kind of squished compared to your MGS shot since I'm sitting at 1920x1080.

Weird to think a difference of 120 would be so visually apparent. I also personally wouldn't use the S-Video for genesis or snes because i feel its a bit too sharp for dithering in that era. Maybe try composite.

what a terrible representation of a slot mask.

I've tried composite (or maybe it's RF) or whatever the lowest-tier Maister NTSC 320 shader is, but I end up with this weird shimmering noise, especially in motion.

I want to get a Genesis flashcart for a project I'm doing, but I can't seem to find reliable information on which flashcarts are good and how much I should pay or even how they work (other than it needs an SD card).

surprisingly accurate to the Genesis' shit composite video signal.

everdrives or chink shit if you wanna take a cheap risk

How good is Retroarch anyway?

mGBA has a webm record option built in.

If you're big into Gen 5 or earlier emulation, it's great.

I bet that it's fucked up. Record with OBS Studio and convert with this: gitgud.io/nixx/WebMConverter

I just started emulating with Dolphin as I never owned a GC or Wii, and now I've got so many to catch up on.

Only trouble I'm having is upon loading a game it says the memory card needs to be formatted, so I format it and save, but when the next game is run, it asks me to format again, losing the save from the game before.

Where are my saves/memory cards located? It keeps defaulting them to the directory I'm placing the ISOs in, but I'm sure t was saving them somewhere else before I set that directory to hold my ISOs.

Check this thread: forums.dolphin-emu.org/Thread-formatting-memory-card

I'm sure it made me format when I used the same region, but whatever.

The guys that made this are wizards. I copies the emulator and a few games from my desktop to my shitty laptop and it works flawlessly.

MP4 must be made up of one H264 and one AAC stream only.

OK, coverting via webmforretards works. Will have to play with settings.

Does anyone know any way to get metroid prime 3 to run better, if at all possible, on lower clockspeed CPUs?
My PC with gtx 660ti and i5-3570k 3.5GHz runs it just fine, but if I use my laptop (gtx 660ti via eGPU, and i5 2520m 2.5GHz) it lags too hard.
Probably just a worse CPU but just wondering if anyone knows any prime 3 dolphin settings to make it run better beyond what's on the dolphin wiki

Metroid Prime 1 and 2 for gamecube work on a controller as they did on the gamecube just fine

Trilogy I've 100% Prime 1 and 2 (and am halfway into 3) on a mouse+keyboard setup

It's hardcoded into the game that the way the aiming works is when you point the wiiremote to the sides of the screen you slowly turn in the direction of where you pointed off to, and the further out from the center you point, the further out you go. If you can get used to it, and it really isn't hard, m+k is fan fucking tastic. I played prime 1 and 2 for the first time a couple months ago on dolphin with m+k and had an absolute blast.
If you really can't get used to its aiming then there's nothing that can be done, but I had no problem with it (maybe because I've played a bunch of wii FPS games in the past anyway.

Settings I used:
left click A right click Z (For lockon and shoot on the 'aimdownsights' and 'shoot' buttons, felt natural), B on spacebar (for jumping, although spacebar is now how you go back in menus), 1 and 2 set to 1 and 2 (easy), + and - set to Q and E (right by your WASD for nunchuck, easy to zoom in/out with Q/E and use them for the weapons/huds), and I set C to CTRL as it's usually for crouching and now it's for morph ball
middlemousebutton to dpad down for the missiles (locking on with right mouse button and shooting with left / missile with middle / holding left and pressing middle to charge shot then use missile for special shot)

Prime 3 I set nunchuck forward/backward thrust to scroll up/down for the grapple beam, and mouse 4 and 5 (thumb buttons) to rotate wiiremote left/right, for the rotating switches in the game.

Shame if you can't get used to its aiming of moving mouse to the side to turn in that direction and recentering to stop turning. Don't forget holding down rightmousebutton (Z) freezes aiming. And ingame set turning sensitivity to medium so as to give yourself a larger deadzone in the middle of the screen - makes it easier to recenter mouse to stop turning. But basically no, you can't change it to be a normal PC FPS, it's part of the game's programming how you turn.

I'm torn about these shit TV filters.

On the one hand, it makes the games look like what they're supposed to look like (speaking of which, anyone got a pic of a part where there's a transparency effect that only works with shit TV filters?)

On the other hand, the other filters (or no filter at all) look more detailed, sharper, with better color contrast, and are more pleasing to the eyes overall.

The N64 controller is such a weird motherfucker.

Speaking of that, I just played through Goldeneye at 60fps with the perfect M/KB control setup and it was fucking amazing. I'm going to start my Perfect Dark run as soon as I'm done with this run of Spyro 2.

You can actually see that in the sonic picture. Note the green line in the tree that's supposed to be getting blended to be brown.

Also check for some actual transparency effects.

features heavy dithering too, note how the glass looks around Jim, along with the floor.

Put one on mixtape or something so we can look at it with ffmpeg etc.

That looks pretty exaggerated, but it does happen with composite video.

Stop. Try seamonkey.

Noice

The directory thing was broken in a couple of versions. It should be fixed now.

Yeah they're constantly breaking shit and removing features or just changing shit for no reason. If you happen to find a version that works though, just stick with it and it's great.

That would depend on the game.

Guys where do you get your iso's from? I haven't pirated games in ages since all new games suck lately. I use rutracker for music and movies since they got very high quality shit there and pornolab for porn. But I have no place for games so far.

I need some games to test cemu, I did find some places that offer games but the shit they offer is usually just in one language I don't speak, like spanish or russian.

Try TPB.

Is that place still trustworthy? I heard it was a honeypot by now. I am going trough my old bookmarks and I found these places:

portalroms.com/
zonatorrent.com/
ww38.estrenoswii.com/

only the first link works and even that one is slow as fuck.

No it's not a honeypot, it's back as the #1 most popular torrent site by a healthy margin, and eurocuck governments have been doing their best to block access to it.

"TPB is a honeypot" is "the human eye can't see beyond 24fps"-tier, fam

Just pirated myself a copy of Mario Kart 8. Why is donkey kongs voice still so freaking crappy? Mario Party 5's donkey kong sounds better imo.

I wonder, how well does Ryzen CPUs preform in emulation?

Not very well. Their single thread performance is weak despite all the lies spread about it by AMD. You could buy a 7350K and get equal if not better performance.
If you want a general purpose CPU them a 7700K would be a better purchase. From what I gather the only good reason to use Ryzen is if you do video editing/streaming.

I remember reading on tech that they are not so good for gaming but better for shit like video editing. I will probably build a full amd computer in mid 2018 since I just got a new in one august 2016. But I will replace my current gpu with a rx 490 as soon as it comes out.

I heard the same, but you should do your own research instead of trusting random people on the internet. I for example don't know shit about hardware, I just repeat what I hear.

In general, how many cores do emulators use? Are more cores and more threads beneficial?

I would buy an i3-7350K if it was cheaper like 140 to 150 dollars.

Dolphin uses only a single core
PCSX2 can use multiple cores but is still very dependent on single thread performance.
If you actually want to buy a CPU for emulation just wait a few months and the price for Intel CPUs might drop.
If you are hurting for money buying a G3258 is cheap and will serve you well if you overclock it.

my current system uses a i5 6600k, and a (asus, amd or whatever) 6950 as gpu and I can run most games perfectly fine. Smash Bros works, Mario Kart 8 and Wii work perfectly fine too. And keep in mind my gpu is old as fuck. You may wonder why I use it, well back then when I build my computer I had 3 options, go nvidia (not really a option since my screen has freesync), buy a older amd card or go for the rx480. Since I didn't want a mid end card I skipped the rx480 and decided to wait for the 490 instead.

My point is, even weak hardware can emulate shit.

Even if it's a honeypot, you can still use it, just don't seed unless it's the kind of thing that either a) nobody cares enough to get ISPs to pester people about; or b) nobody's around to pester ISPs about it. Even then, if you have a trustworthy VPN or seedbox, it's fine. But even then, they can't do anything more with a honeypot site than they could with anything out of their control.

Are there any good alternatives for Kaillera? I heard it was outdated and shitty but everything else is fighting-centered and i want to play Mario Kart 64 and Battle City.

TPB has hardly any content on it these days.

Not very well.

Only 1 core usually.

The new builds of PJ64 should have netplay. Haven't fucked with N64 netplay in years though, don't know how sensitive it is to desyncing currently.

I'm always able to find whatever I need rom-wise on either tpb, rutracker, or archive.org.

Not entirely true, Dolphin can now saturate two cores, though not much beyond that. While the CPU thread is by far the most demanding (much moreso than PCSX2, which can substantially benefit from even quad-core since MTGS & MTVU were implemented), recent versions of Dolphin can split the DSP into its own thread, in addition to the separate GPU thread and various other minor ones.

The dependence of emulators on single-threaded performance could theoretically change if multithreaded dynarec and asynchronous static recompilation were used more often (both techniques web browsers have been tinkering with lately to accelerate JS), allowing an arbitrary number of threads to be used in emulating many workloads that are single-threaded, but I imagine most emulators would require a substantial rewrite to do this.

I'm having this problem using snes9x when I use fullscreen where the sides of the screen have this fucked up effect, how do I fix it?

using windows xp btw

Try bsnes instead.

Try switching graphical backends, D3D, OpenGL, or software mode.

Okay will try it out

You know, I used to emulate games when I was a kid. Now that I'm an adult with a well-paying job, I've realized that collecting games is a much more fulfilling hobby. It's time to grow up, Holla Forums.

speak for yourself nigger

Bad goy! You should have ALL of your videogames on digital format so we can spy you!

Looks like raw ass, and what's that banding around the title?

but muh scalines muh aperture grill muh phosphorus glow

What banding?

This faded white outline here around the game's title. It looks like banding, which is a purely digital color space issue, either by the filter, the emulator, or something else. Even bad CRTs like this filter is trying to emulate don't have this issue.

I really like retroarch, it's the main thing that I use now that I got used to the interface, but two things really piss me off. Updating the program and keeping all your saves and configs is a pain in the ass. And two, medafen in retroarch only works with the x86 version, the x64 version just crashes.

Can you circle what you mean? I don't see it at all.

Okay, I never dicked around with gamecube emulations but I really want to play Mario Golf: Toadstool Tour again and my gamecube refuses to read the disc.
The one question I have before I download all the shit is; Can you do GBA link/data transfer stuff through emulation?

Yes, Dolphin supports that.with VBA-M.

Excellent, looks like I better start with the GBA game so I can remake by loli with a 300+ yard drive again

Nigger look around the letters and shit

Its the blobby shit around the letters

Brightness increased to bring it out

Weird, maybe your brightness/gamma is too high if it's that noticeable. If I put my nose to my screen I can somewhat get a hint of it in the normal pictures. My guess is he has the diffusion setting at the default value, which can give really bright areas a kind of halo effect. This is what the menu looks like for me with the same shader.

Nope, it's definitely that user. probably with the diffusion setting. I can't see any banding in your image at all.

Yeah, mine has diffusion set to 0. It's not as nicely smoothed/blurred, but the tradeoff is you don't have things like the text on the bottom being all rainbowed out and unreadable.

>tfw absolutely no consumer software supports it out of the box and no substantial adoption has ever happened in the 25 years after getting the Quadra 700 that was my first "trucolor" computer, nor will it ever