I lost the AC adapter for my NES, but this one fits. I mean, the plug goes into the NES nicely, but will it work?

I lost the AC adapter for my NES, but this one fits. I mean, the plug goes into the NES nicely, but will it work?
I don't know how electricity works, those numbers don't tell me much.

Oh, and also another question: may it work on a Super Nintendo?
I know the plug won't fit, because the Super NES needs a slightly fatter plug, plus the voltage required by both consoles is not the same, but I'm curious because I know these machines aren't too picky about such things.

Sage because double-post.

I run my NES off a 12v @800mA adapter I have lying around. I don't think you'll break anything, but neither do I know if it will work.

The SNES is actually super fucking picky when it comes to where it gets its power from.
Use an unofficial adapter and you'll get funky colors and random resets or sound glitches.

Source: Went through 3 AC adapters for my SNES before I finally said fuck it and bought a legit one from some bullshit retro store.

7V is not really up to task for powering the NES.

The NES AC adapter converts 120V AC to 9V AC. Yes, AC, not DC. There is a rectifier in the NES itself that converts the AC waveform to DC, but you can use any 9-10V DC adapter with the NES without issue, including the Sega Genesis 1/Sega Master System AC adapter. The official NES AC plug is listed at 1.5A, but I haven't checked to see if the system actually draws that much current at any time.

I wonder why they did this.
But yes, this is also the reason why you should never use an NES power brick on a Famicom and viceversa.

Show both adapters.

why?
were they using the power frequency as some kind of timing signal?
and is the snes the same?

Doesn't seem that way. Pics related.

Technically you can feed DC trough the rectifier in the NES without a problem, the schematics i found shows 13V DC getting made into 5V.
So i would say you could use the 7.5V you have there.

But please don't blame me if you kill your NES

As for the SNES it seems like The AC gets rectified in the adapter, so you have to watch where you connect your + and - .
Looking at your pic it seems your adapter has the connector reversed to what the SNES is

forgot 1 image, sorry

What's the purpose of BQ18 (below the 7805)? Overvoltage protection?

my guess would be: after some delay (C63/C64) it gives the 11.5V to another part of the circuit.
could also be some kind of debounce functionality.

for the over voltage protection there is the varistor VA1, right after the switch

I have the same problem with magnets
i'm not clowning around

voltage, amperage, and polarity. Match those three, especially voltage and polarity.

You also want to make sure the output is DC, not AC. It didn't matter with the NES, because there was actually an inverter within the system that changed AC to DC (in fact, the official adapter was in AC), but going AC into the SNES will most likely kill the shit out of it.

Voltage MUST match. In some cases you can get away with about… 10 to 15 percent difference? But I'd rather not risk it.

Amperage has to be equal to or higher. Generally these systems only draw as many amps as they need.

Polarity must match, else it most likely won't work.

Then of course, the tip has to fit right. Go off of this guy's picture, the one for the SNS-002.
You're looking for an output of 10V in DC, at least 850 milliamps, with that polarity.

You could potentially go DC 10V with 1 Amp just fine.

Whoops, sorry, go off of the first image, NES-002. I got myself all fucked up here, looking for 9V AC at least 1.3 Amps. 9V DC is also acceptable.

just use it. if it works it works. if it doesnt it wont. nothing bad will happen.

I have an original NES AC adapter, its the following specs;
>9 volts AC and 1 amp

The NES power supply is NOT a Switching Mode power supply, since these were too expensive back in the mid '80s and mainly only used on high-end computers, its just a step-down transformer. The NES actually takes AC. Your adapter is not only DC output, its also only 7.5 volts, you probably will not hurt your NES but that supply isn't going to cut it

You don't need to match amperage. The amperage of the adapter can be higher than the rated amps of the console. As long as its not lower than the amp rating on the console you're safe. Basically you want the adapter to be ready to deliver more current when needed, having too low an amp rating on the adapter side could fry the adapter.

Modern consoles use switching mode power supplies. Back in the 1980s these were still very new things. If you've ever seen, for example, a Commodore 64 power brick, the thing is massive and heavy, its just how linear power supplies worked back then. The reason the NES adapter is AC is probably to simplify it, since it just steps down 120V to 9V, the NES then takes care of converting AC to DC. It was all about using the technology they had at their disposal and making it in the most efficient way they could.

What if the NES explodes?