Explain this Tales of cancer now

You did this to me. Now fucking explain yourselves. I bought this "Zestiria" shit game and it was one of the worst games I've ever played. Tales fans said it's bad for Tales standards. Now this game comes out and fans say it's a good Tales. I give it a chance, and it's the exact same shit.

I literally just ragequit the game because I was just so fucking frustrated and bored by the awful level design. Literally long, huge, empty corridors, you do nothing but run from one cutscene to the next trying to avoid the monsters so you don't have to fight. Somehow the fights are even more boring than the level design. I play on one of the highest difficulties and I have never used any items yet, I have never bought any material, I have never upgraded anything, and I could win most fights by just hammering the same button, even those unique enemies and bosses.

What is this disgusting piece of shit garbage game? Why does it have 80% on Metacritic? Why does it have such a huge fanbase? How come people were shitting on Xenoblade's combat when it was hundred times harder and more complex than this garbage?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=G1BVHAe8NiE
youtube.com/watch?v=3v5XP4TnIBM
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

And I actually played Tales of Symphonia back then. I remember that it had way, way better and more compact level design. And the combat was more fun, too.

youtube.com/watch?v=G1BVHAe8NiE

What the fuck happened? And why is there always a map in this new game telling you everything about the level design what makes it even less interesting?

The Tales series is complete trash and is emblematic of everything wrong with JRPGs today.

I have both installed but i haven't played them yet, i guess i'l be disappointed or something, but oh well. Also op you should have pirated and never trust sites like metacritic.

Anyway, i liked Dawn of the New World, and everyone considers it total trash. Had fun catching animals like pokemons and liked the story.

Then why are there autistic fans everywhere claiming it's good? I know, many shit games have many fans… But this game isn't even Uncharted bad or something. It's literally a 2/10 game in every way.

What the fuck?

Tales of Phantasia is the only good Tales game and that's because it only got turned into a Tales game late into the production. The good parts come from the Tale Phantasia phase.

I played this for like 30 minutes, it was shit, but what i played seemed to be better than this Berseria or Zestiria cancer at least. No huge, emty corridors all the time.

Literally every mediocre JRPG is better than the current Tale of cancer. Did anyone play Arc Rise Fantasia on Dolphin with Japanese dub? It's decent at best but so, so, so much better than this Berseria shit game and fucking no one knows it. The first boss is harder than everything I fought in Berseria combined.

You want dark souls out of harem anime.

I actually liked Symphonia, it had combat level design with lots of gimmicky puzzles and fun bits like those shitty "sliding puzzles".

Meanwhile… watch this video:

youtube.com/watch?v=3v5XP4TnIBM

Just watch this shit. All of you. Watch it.

How is this allowed? How is level design this shit allowed? Literally just a huge empty space and they want you to run to A and B to open C + backtracking.

No, I hate Souls (although even 2 is a masterpiece compared to Tales cancer). I just don't want a game to be so braindead that I don't even have to look at the screen to win a fight. It's easier than Wind Waker or Skyward Sword and everyone was shitting on those games' difficulty.

Looks like mmo to be honest. Maybe they have wrong idea about the next gen that it needs huge empty locations? After all, skyrim, new zelda, witcher 3 - they all have those huge open world worlds with literally nothing between quest spots.

Played a little of Symphonia once and it has the same issue all the new ones have; the tone of the game is too bright—not the story, just the appearance and feel, gameplay was good enough— and doesn't have that Tolkien-esque vibes that the first game had.

Tales of Destiny was 7/10 early on but rapidly gets boring. Hell, I prefer the "kick pretty boys ass and become legendary bandits" non-standard game over to the rest of the story since that actually felt like a badass accomplishment.

By Eternia the magic's just fucking gone. Same happened with the Star Ocean and Mana series in the later games.

There you see people actually saying this game is great. I'm not making it up. Those people exist.

Explain it to me.

No, stop shitposting. What you see in this video isn't comparable to Zelda, Skyrim or Witcher 3 at all. That's a whole different level of non-existent interactivity and verticality. You literally can't do anything in the Tales overworlf but tilt your stick and run to the goal on your map. You don't even have to manage your stamina bar when sprinting or something. Absolutely nothing.

good goy. did they expect waifufaggotry to carry the game alone?

No, you did this to you. You listened to fanboys in an echo chamber.

Everyone else gave up discussing anything with them a long time ago.

The last few Tales games had male protagonists and were just as awful.

I guess the games really are just made for 50 year old fat women squirting to the gay emo boys. However, this still doesn't answer my question why young people on forums, even here on Holla Forums, like those shit games.

Who should I listen to? This shit game has a 82% Metacritic user score, and Metacritic user scores are actually quite on point many times.

I think the what made early jrpg's good compared to modern ones was that they copied fantasy books and D&D in style, whereas the modern day ones ape after anime which copy the early games. It's like you're diluting down the good part until all you're left with is shallow garbage.

Explanation is that there is one very autistic shill that spams their own games here. Like Neptunia, Falcom, etc. These are fucking terrible piles of shit but he is getting payed so you see it posted over and over.

I don't remember anyone saying anything good about this. Series died after Vesperia anyways.

I've come to realize that everyone on Holla Forums except for myself is a bot designed to shill various games.

Take your nostalgiafaggotry away from here. Phantasia (and, by extension, Destiny) was already made completely obsolete by Eternia's release. The only thing that game still has going for it is the villain, and for that you can just spare yourself and read the plot on a wiki site.

I'm 2 hours into Berseria and I have to say that it's not bad, the performance sucks though.

Zestiria is terrible, Berseria has a very awful start but it does eventually get better, then falls flat on it's face with constant backtracking and then picks itself back up towards the end.
I've been playing it on moderate and I'm having some challenge, it's not hard but it's enough to break a sweat and actually have to pay attention.
No one said Berseria was a masterpiece, but it is probably the best recent entry in the tales series.

You have only yourself to blame.

Western RPGs are loaded with SJW cancer. They're hardly better. Didn't the last Baldur's gate have literal transvestites in it? And it was also developed by women?

I can't tell if the Radiant Historia example in the third pic is meant to be positive or negative. That is one of the most memorable pieces of dialogue in the game.

you have yourself to blame

Can't be since wrpgs died before sjw cancer appeared.

Maybe, and this is just a crazy thought here:

This game just wasn't meant for you. Sometimes a lot of people enjoy a game that you despise, and sometimes you love a game that lots of people hate. Congrats! You're a regular fucking person.

Tales games are all basically comfort food. Not necessarily good for you, but they do satisfy a certain type of itch. There are better games out there that do the same, but Tales is consistent and plentiful – like an all you can eat buffet.

Hm, no. The game is factually bad.

See This level design is factually bad. Gameplay that consists of nothing but tilting control stick to make character walk to goal on mini map is factually bad. Fights that consist of nothing but smashing one button (or not even doing anything, your comrades don't need you to win 99% the time) is factually bad.

Severe aliasing is factually bad, N64 fog to mask pop-ins is factually bad, gay and cliché as fuck character design with overstylized clothes is horrible… in my opinion.

Who gives a fuck? I'd rather play a game about bowing down to women and muslims that's fun than play a boring ass JRPG no matter how good the story is. It's a fucking game, not a book. Story is a completely unnecessary add on.

Complaining about the message or story in a game is like saying a delicious juicy burger is completely ruined because the lettuce is too crunchy.

You do know what RPG stands for right?

Role Playing Game, but that is a broad as fuck term, user. It can encompass every game. In CoD you are playing the role of a soldier. :^)

You would rather be a cuckold than play a boring game?

SJW cancer is a dealbreaker for me. I'd much rather play the slowest, grindiest NES JRPG in the world before I'd play some shit made by low-test numales and transdykes.

You could be describing Abyss. Or most of the tales games, actually. The padding is absolutely fucking maddening.

And that's why gaming is in such a shit state right now. We stopped getting good games because people found they can pander a shit game if they tack on a stupid pandering message. Remember the stories of old games? Rescue the princess, kill the bad guy, Collect all the shiny objects, find the treasure… Shit like that was commonplace, and it's why old games are still fun, because they knew story was bullshit and unnecessary.

Tales games are shit, this is nothing new.

Ain't reading all of that, OP.
Basically it's a JRPG with waifus.
So if you want waifus you play these games, otherwise you don't.

Tales are just bad games.

Games are bad now because japanese developers fucked off and western devs took over. And western devs are all marxist SJW faggots who care more about putting niggers and faggots and diversity in a game than about making fun games. Factor in the AAA budgets which kill any risk taking on experimental new game ideas and you have the shitshow we have today.

Japanese devs didn't fuck off, they started emulating western devs. That's the real problem.

Like how? I can't think of a jap game that matches the good wrpgs at all. Either way, the problem with the japanese is they got either too artsy and boring, or they got to commercialized and started pumping out weebgames that suck.

Just look at Capcom and Square Enix.

Yes, and some people like bad things. You let yourself be convinced by fanboys that don't realize that they like something bad; in many people's minds they see the games they like as being good, purely because they like it. This is what fanboyism is.

Something being bad doesn't prevent people from loving it. See: 95% of the industry.

Webm unrelated.

Like that fucking, what's its name, a goddamn dungeon crawler but with waifus. You also can import your portraits in it.
Also dark souls is basically Severance with waifus.

Aparently after Tales of Vesperia some guy called Hideo Baba took over development and the games have been shit ever since

I bought Tales of Xilia because the MC was a bare handed martial artist (character archetype that i love to play as) but it had the exact same problems you descrive
Nothing but linear empty corridors with respawning loot and a branching path every now and then
Fights were way to easy, not because you could button mash your way trhough but because you had a broken cheat avility between both MCs (pixy circle i belive it was called) wich heals all status and HP in a wide area and it was dirt cheap to spam through the entire battle. Not only was prgression linear as fuck without even the slightes attempt at disguising it, the map was way to small as well, crafting and equpment sistems were very basic i don't remeber if there even was a crafting sistem, that's how bland an experience this game was, dungeons were shit too and by the time i beat the invincible bosses that give you the ultimate weapons i was alrready leveled enough to mop the flor with them and had bought more powerfull weapons in a random store
The worst of all is that at one point you leave the continet and enter e new one, wich immediatelly give the impression taht will have plenty of other towns or dungeons to visit… BUT THERE ARE ONLY 2

i got enjoyment out of it cus i played it like i would a Beat'em up and because i'm a fucking animu loving weeb but i couldn't recomend this game to any JRPG fan

Namco just went the waifu faggotry stronk womyn dont need no man girl power bullshit with this one.
Hopefully it won't have a sequel or become a trend for them.

You actually managed to condense the worst aspect of this board by far in a single, short and easy-to-understand sentence. That's impressive.

While I'm at it, do fuck back to whatever political loonie bin echo chamber you crawled out from.

please go back to neoGAF thanks

OP forgot to pirate before buying, proving his newfaggotry.

Do you, faglord?

JRPGs are pretty much always utter shit and you should never pay them any attention.

We had Neptunia threads for fucks sake and people trying to say its good and that shit is up there with mlp in terms of cancer

I don't understand, if you don't like JRPGs, why are you playing a JRPG? Especially a series that isn't as heavily based on building an appropriate team? And why aren't you using Artes?

I like JPRGs and later Tales Of games are complete fucking waifu-driven garbage, so fuck off please.

No, it's more like

Not that I expect you to understand that. People like you are too far gone. All you can do is go back and stay there.

Sage for off-topic

What were you expecting? A good game?
Never trust popularity.

Op you should play persona 3-5.

Why are you so triggered? A lot of JRPGs can be summed up in "Tilt stick to get through area" and you spam the same moves over and over to win. The complexity comes from team building, equipment management and use of proper tactics in battle. Besides that, I can only think of Zestiria and Berseria as trying to cash in super hard on waifus. I don't remember that in Vesperia or Xillia/2, just that Xillia and Xillia 2 were pretty boring overworlds.

Because waifu anticulture keeps killing shit I like.
Video games included.

I want cuckchan and reddit to stay gone, the election ended months ago, you can all return at any time instead of continuing to ruin the already shit board quality of this site.

Yeah man, if someone hates my race and wants all of them to be exterminated I should totally support them with my cash if they make a fun game.

Most JRPG do have memorable villans, even FFXV had a memorable villan and that game was shit
You retarded m8? the final doomsday monster that pops outta nowhere after you beat the main villan is basically a cliche of the genere by now, it is the one boss fight everyone is waiting for
I would like to ask Jewlywood to stop craming 45 minutes of romance into a 120 minute action movie, but in a 20 to 40 hour long JRPG i don't mind if they dedicate 1 hour of gameplay to foster a romance between characters, Aerith's death hit hard cus she was the MCs love interest and the game actually took the time to show the birth and growth of that relation
Pointles cutscenes that are then repeated by ingame engine? never seen that one, or maybe don't remeber it, back in my day, cutscenes used to be a reward for progressing through the game, now a days games just give away cutscenes like candy
Eliminate separate battle screens and grinding?
M8 are you sure you want to play JRPG? cus you sound like you'd be more at home with Bethesda tier casual shit
Better idea, stick to text only like in the good old days. voice actors can go fuck themselves, they are an irrelevant waste of time and money
Anyone who played WoW can tell you about the dangers of "visible equipment changes"
Besides, in order to make this easyer and cheaper, graphics need to be on shitty 3D polygons instead of the glorious 2D graphics master race
Wether stories are good or bad is subjective unless there is to much leftardism crammed in in wich case they are obviously bad
As for translations and terminology… we regularly shit on cucked localizers who fuck up nipponese Vidya
Aside from the entire cast of FF from X onwards and other minor shit JRPG not even worth remebering, the cast of JRPGs is usually fairly solid as it is often the main draw of the game
ABSOLUTELLY NOT
Western RPGs are among the worst type of games ever created, closelly followed by MMOS and FPSs trying to imitate that Western bullshit is wat turned so many god franchizes into shit, not just JRPGs RE6, Castlevania, Silent Hill and DmC are the ones that immediatelly pop into my head when i think of "westernization"
Where do you think the shits that are FF XIII and XV came from? if not for retarded westaboo Tokio kike trying to milk shekkels outta casual burger plebians like the retard who wrote this entire list, JRPGs would still be as good as they were in the PS2 era

So you're saying the image did its purpose

No.

I enjoy enlighting ignorant plebians, and kek is with me on this one faggot
suck my dubs

Shouldn't you be "enlighting" the author of that shit in that case?

Tell me any JRPG that isn't turnbased that is better than tales? Nights of azure is kinda boring too. Super ez

Better make an extensive background check on every single person that worked on development for every game (or any product) you ever bought, then; especially your favorite ones. Gotta be prepared if you turn out to be a filthy race traitor by accident, eh? :^)

Culture is important and I'll talk about whatever the fuck I feel like.

Just because I happen to dislike spiteful asshole devs ramming their political agenda down my throat doesn't mean that I am suddenly blinded by ideology myself. This is a false equivalence. The whole point of hating forced obnoxious SJW politics in games is because it always gets in the way of enjoying the fun and the games' quality suffers because of it.

Here's some advice. You should listen to the critics of any game. I bet you probably bought it off steam, in which case there's a neat thing called negative reviews: Read them first, if most of them hardly explain what's wrong then you can try the game yourself: Having no expectation. You'll learn more about a game when it's negative than when it's positive.

Tales games have been more centered on plot than gameplay. You're complaining about the weakness it always had. Maybe this was never the series for you. I enjoyed Berseria for the great cast.
i dont believe you

It amazes me honestly. There is not one video game out there that Holla Forums can universally agree is good. We love to complain and every other thread is "stop liking what I don't like". Makes the point of a video game discussion board kind of meaningless tbh. I don't know what these people even want anymore, I don't think they do either.

What the fuck are you talking about? If everyone liked the same thing it would just be circlejerking. Just play whatever the fuck you want and stop caring so much about people's opinions on the internet. Play the fucking game and see for yourself if you like it or not.

You faggots bitch and moan even when the games are not affected in any significant way.

I just wish you fagnuts would do that in your designated bitching and moaning boards instead of shitting up this place.

get the fuck out retard

you're right. but that's not my point. im saying Holla Forums mostly complains for the sake of complaining.
i do that already

Maybe you should relax.

Welcome to neo-Holla Forums, welcome to video games.

Holla Forums wasn't always like that. if what you say is true than Holla Forums was full of faggots from the beginning.

Name one
since you believe there are games with SJW devs in wich the SJWism of the devs didn't fuck up the game in any way please let us know, cus we simply haven't seen that kind of game yet, even bigfoot has more sigthins that the fabled non cancer SJW game

Courage is the magic that turns memes into reality. Also, you have shit taste

Thanks for the laugh user, you are a real good shitposter

That's nothing new though. And I'm not even mad

And you won't, ever, because it's your job to look for the most innocuous of things and blame them on whatever boogeymen is currently convenient to you.

Persona 5's boxart from JP to the US.

I used to really like Tales games, but then I realized it was literally only because it had couch co-op. I can't stand these games if I'm playing alone which is the only way I can play these days

Can't make this shit up, go back to cuckchan or wherever the fuck you came from you sad excuse for a human being.

Never thought that out of all characters, I would sympathise and can to relate to with the pic related the most.

I'm supporting the political views of people with different opinions as you and you can't stop me!

That is, unless you make a better game where you beat your wife and yell at Mexicans, or whatever you like to pretend you do.

The party members you get in Berseria are memorable as all fuck. Character designs backstory and all.

Tales of games are basically Call of Duty of JRPGs.
There are better games to spend your time on.

"Your favorite franchise" are basically the Call of Duty of "your favorite genre".
There are better games to spend your time on.

Get a better favorite.

Your favorite a shite

i have not gathered a single reason to call tales games "good" in this thread other than what pretty much boils down to these two things:
and its easy and you can just play it without putting much thought into it

is there ANY other reason to like tales games?

There are approximately two objectively good things about this game. That is Magilou, and its combat.* Every single other thing about it is, at best, comparable to other Tales or otherwise an outright downgrade.

*Only if you compare it to Zestiria.

Older Tales are objectively good. It's only the recent iterations that have been painfully average and trending towards bad. Actual fans recognize this and play them despite that.

why dont you tell me why that is? is it challenging enough even with decent teambuilding that you'll want to put thought and effort into the gameplay?
is it not just a bunch of long corridors?
is there a good story?

This is a good meme.

kek, that's fine lad it was clear from your first post you were beyond any and all hope.
All i'm saying is the internet is a big place filled with opportunity and there are many websites which cater to your exact demographic. Neogaf and Reddit both seem like perfect fits for you, but if you prefer to remain anonymous 4chan's Holla Forums is always an option. You can discuss all the "fun" games you want there without us whacky tin foil hatters spoiling the discussion and raining on your parade, it's a win/win scenario for everybody.

The casts aren't cardboard cutouts, and have far greater symmetry. Because of that, the skits are infinitely funnier and better. The combat, though sometimes simplified compared to newer iterations, is more fun, difficult, and rewarding. There are indeed real maps, real dungeons (complete with puzzles to solve god I miss those so much) and very little corridors "maps." Pre-PS3 era Tales games had assloads of miss-able sidequests that rewarded you with costumes and skins for your characters, leading to replayability and extended lifetime for the games themselves if you were going for completionism. No DLC, no cutscene-simulator gameplay, etc etc.

I can't recommend older Tales enough. They were really good, especially the ones made by Team Wolf. The instant they got on PS3, it was all downhill.

The one point I can't really trump up is the story. Tales games have almost always had pretty shitty recycled stories, but it's just accepted as par for the course. Their last foray into putting effort into a real story was Tales of the Abyss, or so I feel. It had a mixed reaction. Anyways, you don't play Tales for the story.

I would honestly expect someone who played Tales of Zestiria to enjoy Tales of Berseria significantly more since it basically did every single thing better than Zestiria.
Zestiria had maybe 2 characters that were of any interest whatsoever, had the moral complexity of a Legend of Zelda game, was riddled with obvious rewrites and retcons at every turn, and made basically no gameplay changes whatsoever aside from the combine gimmic that somehow managed to further reduce the complexity of the combat.
Berseria had significantly better characters, to the point where the best ones from Zestiria were still either worse or on the level of the worst character(s) from Berseria. Berseria also attempted to have some nuance to its writing. They ditched the bad, "Legend of Zelda but a JRPG" plotline that managed to make Zestiria's story as painfully vanilla as physically possible, and went with a theme I've rarely seen explored in JRPGs where you're essentially the villains for the vast majority of the game. Maybe I just haven't played enough JRPGs if thats actually a common theme.
Easily the worst parts of Berseria are the length of its dungeons which unnecessarily pad out the length of the game, heavily implying that the developers don't know how to properly pace an rpg so it doesnt get too grindy, and the part where the game becomes a filler episode, because somehow the developers thought, "hey I know what people like, filler episodes! We should add one of those in!" The story still isn't particularly remarkable compared to Tales of the Abyss but its still an improvement over Zestiria's.
Gameplay is still about what you would expect, though the soul breaking mechanic makes it easier to chain into larger combos which feels particularly satisfying at times, the only issue being that it can get old with its dungeons requiring way too much walking to get around.
If you played Zestiria and then tried to get into Berseria hearing that Zestiria was shit and somehow expected that another installment to the same series would somehow just be a completely fucking different game, not even of the same genre, then I don't know what to say. Maybe Undertale is more your cup of tea :^)

tl;dr pretty much this

Berseria is actually decent, though the beginning is shit gameplay wise, it does pick up when Velvet finally gets more party members but it fucking falls on its face in the final dungeon and even before that the backtracking is a nuisance. Who thought forcing someone to backtrack the big dungeon this much just to get the final stuff was a good idea?

Seriously, it's not fun to find a thing and put it in a pedestal when almost everything in the dungeon looks the same and the damn thing isn't marked on the map while the way anywhere is littered with easy enemies that take way too long to kill on Hard. Even if you drink the bottle to remove them, it still takes way too long to navigate. It's not fun in any way.

Besides that and combat being too mashy, all's good. The party is actually good and it makes me sad that Zestiria got ruined by Baba's extreme waifufaggotry because that could've been a similar experience in this regard were everyone not concerned with doing nothing but praising Rose once she joins. You can't make this shit up, I hope Baba's next project fails if he has any.

Do you think anyone falls for this Holla Forums? Complaining works. Not really on Holla Forums's Holla Forums, but in general it does. People made a shitstorm about that one Berseria scene and Bamco explained stuff, even posting on twitter about it. Even I didn't care for that one, but they still at least said something.

Anyway, does anyone have that screencap with "act edgy" from Holla Forums which I saw before? Seems this one did take it to heart, though lately all of them try that once they encounter any resistance to their "opinions".

If one of those is either Edna or Rose your opinion goes straight to the bin.

Apart from NPC's, Edna was the only character worth shit in Zestiria.

About the only characters I liked were Zaveid and arguably the Lord of Calamity purely because he "totally isn't Ganondorf."

Nice strawman faggot

This. If you don't just pirate it to try it yourself, but actually rely on some shitty score site, fuck off.