XBOX homebrew thread

Finally installed UnleashX on the thing and have been trying to figure out for the past couple days how to put games on the thing. I put the ISO file I downloaded on E:\games\, but it's still not detected. I know there's the method of burning a disc with the ISO so I can get dump it again through DVD2XBOX, but there has to be a more convenient way do to things, like with the network share OPL offers on the PS2.

Other urls found in this thread:

amazon.com/Generic-Adapter-Cable-XBOX-Black/dp/B00SMCJB4Y
amazon.de/Seagate-Desktop-interne-Festplatte-Cache/dp/B005CT56R6/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1486683341&sr=8-2&keywords=500 gb seagate hdd
xboxdrives.x-pec.com/?p=list
dx.com/p/jm20330-2-5-3-5-sata-to-40-pin-ide-adapter-card-green-black-241466
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

you must extract the iso into the games own folder. So it should be like E:/games/[GAMENAME]/game files and shit

So Halo would be like E:/games/Halo/halo files and shit

bumping because its been a while and i miss these threads

Thanks. Now I can play me some Jet Set Future.

Welp there goes that idea.

m8 its like a $7 screw driver kit and the cable is like $6 and the flash drive is like $12

that's like nothing fam

I have two dollars in total.

Unpack the .iso and FTP the thing to your HDD
or use those
magnet:?xt=urn:btih:5ccfba096f819c198077545a5f15ad29c3b6c4e0&dn=XBOX%20HDD%20ready%20(#-I)%20[20140930]
magnet:?xt=urn:btih:89c832c572d7876da6cf6b6d3bee467ba5e095d9&dn=XBOX%20HDD%20ready%20(J-Q)%20[20140930]
magnet:?xt=urn:btih:697f20423627237748c5cceb5ca5fb9f9de17d85&dn=XBOX%20HDD%20ready%20(R-Z)%20[20140930]

amazon.com/Generic-Adapter-Cable-XBOX-Black/dp/B00SMCJB4Y
book mark this and remember to look at the related purchases (except don't buy maxtor, but the western digital in the related)

I can totally buy this.

If you're that poor, just ask the people you know around you. There's bound to be someone that has what you need. All I did was pay to the XBOX to USB cable, I managed to find a 2GB USB drive that I could borrow for my job, and now I've got the bear minimum for the thing. I just wish this thing could play games via the network so I don't have to spend any more money.

I love you.

Only thing you can't really borrow off someone elseis a XBOX to USB cable and that's less than a dollar on ebay with shiiping

what are some harddrives that'll actually work for the xbox? the old one went up in smoke when i tried to externally hook it up to my PC, and since it came pre modded i don't have a clue on what custom interface to use.

does the xbox OG require an IDE HDD or is SATA compatible?
I know the PS2 has to use IDE unless you use an adapter and modify the network adapter

amazon.de/Seagate-Desktop-interne-Festplatte-Cache/dp/B005CT56R6/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1486683341&sr=8-2&keywords=500 gb seagate hdd

would this one work?

thats why i said bookmark it so you can return to it when you get paid and get started

you can just ftp the games to your xbox by hooking your xbox up to your modem or directly to your PC. You need to change some settings in windows network settings but it's nothing complicated. google will tell you exactly what to do.

There's a cheapo $20 IDE 250GB Western Digital on amazon that will do the trick, for now you'll have to stick with the tiny default drive tho

you need IDE, but you can use SATA to IDE adapters. IDE is just a bit more convenient, but SATA gives you convenience of availability and cheap high capacity drives.

you would need an SATA adapter board, and frankly I don't trust seagate, hitachi or western digital for this stuff. Very mixed results with maxtor/seagate.

punch in the model no. and search. You want a drive that supports locking through chimp.

I got a flash drive I use for things 16 GB, screwdriver isn't present, a 250 IDE HDD I found in an old computer bin. I do have things but just no cash to purchase anything and I don't know anyone with a USB to xbox cable.

just found this

It's the same Idea, though your HDD will be bottlenecked if you're gonna use a SATA drive.

you won't get full SATA performance but it won't be any worse than an IDE drive. You can improve xbox HDD read/write speeds (about 10MB/s to 15 or so MB/s) by getting an 80-pin IDE cable. I think you want a 15 or 18 inch one. Try to get a longer one cuz there's a lot of folding involved to get these things to be oriented correctly.

are any of these actually still sold in stores? is there even a chance of getting one of these on european amazon or something?

You're gonna have to find a different one. Less than 4GB is key.

come to think of it, why doesn't any generic Harddrive work in the Xbox? anybody got a explanation on this?

I can't just find a different one dang it.

I don't think IDE has been sold in stores for a very, very long time.

use amazon and check out the page for the xbox to usb cables, check related purchases and the first 4 GB or smaller flash drive will be a good pick.

that or a PSP will always work.

during the boot process the standard Xbox BIOS does a hard drive unlock, reads an EEPROM key and compares it to the one on the motherboards EEPROM chip and if it's correct, locks the hard drive again and the system functions normally. Some hard drives do not support locking/unlocking to microsoft's Xbox specification so they do not work.

It's a game of roulette. The lock drive is a common feature, but there's bound to be a HDD that doesn't have it.

Not in stores but you can buy them online, not cheaply though.

Not entirely related but be extra careful with people selling IDE SSDs for retro computer / console purpose, those don't always work with XBOXs and even if they do you will kill them kinda fast because of the amount of writes that happen, goes double with SD to IDE and CF to IDE not to mention you'll buy a half dozen adapter before finding one that works properly.

ok, so hypothetically i get a 500 gb western digital HDD, load a custom mod user interface in it, connect it again, and it i have a chance that it'll work? If it doesn't i can still just use it in a PC again, right?

IDE's are rapidly declining because nobody is making them and older ones are failing.

I never use SSD.

$20 isn't too bad for a 250gb. That or a $10 or so SATA adapter and a $40 500gb WD drive or something and call it a day.

is your xbox hard modded? When you boot it up with a disc in the drive, does the disc boot? You can burn slayers disc and try this. All else fails, you can use that HDD in your PC no problem.

No really, who would have thunk?

don't use those fucking SD to ide things. Xbox's are constantly writing data to the cache partitions on the drive. SD hates writes.

I used a Sandisk Cruzer Blade 4GB and it worked. You can still get them on Amazon and they're cheap.

it is, yeah, when i hold the button when booting up it still shows EVO X in the top right corner, however, when i try opening the disk tray it just makes a whirring noise without the tray opening, and after a while the power button turns orange, then red and displays a 07 with text saying i should call customer support (good luck with that, hah..)

in any case, am i fucked?

you are hard modded and a dead hard drive is not an issue in the slightest. You're in a very safe spot. Get a new hard drive, plug it in, place a slayers CD in the drive (theisozone has the latest version) and install the dashboard of your choice - I like unleashX.

i didn't put the lid on top after disassembling the xbox, but that shouldn't stop the disk tray from opening, right? if i hook up a new harddrive, it theoretically should still load games from the drive just fine, i guess

how do i put slayers CD in the drive when the tray won't open? or am i misunderstanding something?

its probably just stuck. firmly knock on it right where the dvd drive is after you press the eject button. there's also the small manual eject hole you can use with a paper clip if you have one around. common issue but once you get it installed you're set and don't need to use the drive.

lmao, it actually worked (the firm knock) thanks for the help guys, im looking forward to play:
-Halo 3
-Nightfire
-GTA's
-Black
-Conker
-Crimson Skies
-DOA
-Fable
-Shenmue
-Panzer Dragoon

damn, there are ALOT of good games on the original xbox. what the fuck happened with the 360? Back in the day it was just a cheaper pc with barely any exclusives. also, any recommendations? i've barely seen any platformers that interest me.

the 360 had a good start, also try out some of the japanese games like gun valkyrie, tenerezza, magatama (directed by panzer dragoon's creator), try the leaked kameo build, phantom dust (also panzer dragoon's creator)

panzer dragoon orta also includes the first game as an unlockable.

really? Xbox 360s are dirtcheap on local secondhand websites, if you can help me find some interesting games, i might pick one up.

I don't know very much about the 360's library, but from what I've seen the first few years had some really solid games. Plus I really like halo 3 odst.

they're dirt cheap probably because they're the faulty models.
I would honestly go for a slim.

yes, if you're getting a 360 get the slim model, not the original fat one or a super slim one (E model, not concave at all)

We need one of these for the ps2 as well.

ps2's are unfortunately a bit more annoying complicated to mod. It's not hard just more tedious and not as easy to lay out.

playing games off HDD (on a fat) is really easy.
its everything else thats more difficult to do.

yes, but the actual set up process is more tedious and I can't make it as neatly as the xbox one because the tools aren't up to the same level.

i feel like i already played the best the PS2 has to offer, the Metal Gear Games, Zones of the Ender, God of War, Ratchet and Clank, i played those on Ps3 and it was really nice, upscaled in 1080p and a constant buttersmooth framerate…. what else is there, that isn't better on Xbox?

some cool jrpgs but I kinda feel like those 40+ hour investment games are hard to recommend.

I'm actually doing it now. I'm using the fat ps2 method with an HDD. Hopefully it works this time. I dug out an old computer that uses windows vista, I guess it has issues on 8.1 and 10.

i actualy prefer arcade/pure action with maybe some stealth and/or strategy, but never to the point where you spend most time reading. (the only other thing on PS2 i could think of is God hand/Devil May Cry, but thats it)

my advice is to run EVERYTHING as administrator. When your HDD is plugged into the USB adapter, do not unplug it, remember to initialize it from the disk manager in windows. If you unplug it, you may need to restart your PC because windows caches USB devices and USB HDDs do not handle it well.

was the PS2 actually that poor in the kind of games i like, or did i just never notice some hidden gems?

there's a lot of great games there, and we're not mentioning them. some of my favorites are katamari games, god hand, but I think everyone knows the great PS2 games.

there's a lot of great games there, and we're not mentioning them. some of my favorites are katamari games, god hand, but I think everyone knows the great PS2 games.

There is a big selection of JRPG's.
If you like sports game (some do) there is a pretty great selection to pick from. PS2 era was the heyday of sports games.
You could play Tony Hawk, SOCOM, a couple others maybe. And yakuza.
Always play Yakuza.
Getting a PS2 fat to play games off HDD is eaiser than people make it sound.
All you need is a memory card with freemcboot, a network adapter, and either a IDE HDD or a torex screw driver + an adapter, which you can get for about $16 with prime.

Otogi > Otogi 2

are there good exclusive fighting/wrestling/arcade style games?

like i said, im not a big fan of reading alot in my games, so yakuza and those jrpgs just arent for me, sorry.

yakuza's a lot of fun once you get past some of the opening stuff. I think you might really enjoy it. Sometimes I force myself through games with those longer openings and end up really enjoying what's past there. I wish developers would do openings better, but more often than not there's a truly solid game there.

Yes, of course that there are. The PS2 was one of the most successful consoles of all time and it has a shitload of games, i'm under the impression that you are some sort of underage if you don't know this and have just played some HD collections on the PS3. Please buzz off.

Well, you have the mass amounts of fighters and games like Fire Pro Returns and WWE SvR

what's the big deal? i want to get to know the library for the ps2 slim that's catching dust somewhere in my room, as well as fixing my og xbox i got for dirt cheap, so why the assumptions and hostility? did you not read my previous posts?

For soft-modding finding a PSP is a better and easier way to install the software than hunting down flash drives.

if you buy the flash drive on the recommended products list on amazon, that one does work. Surprisingly convenient. Just don't get the maxtor drive.

I don't know what the fuck I did but now I can't see it in my disk manager. I'm not very good at this. I guess I'll try to restore it, fuck I'm bad at this.
I need to snag anonother hdd for my xbox soon. Only reason I did ps2 first was because I saw the guide first.

IT WERKED
AFTER 4 HOURS IT FINALLY WERKS!

Now I'm not really sure what to do. I never expected to make it this far.

A friend of mine has a modded xbox, would I be able to use a usb to xbox cord to throw his mod on a usb and transfer it to mine?

no, each xbox has a unique eeprom key so you'd need to do it from scratch on your own.

Ah ok, also has anyone played Malice? It's kind of floaty but it's pretty fun

These arent working

Anyone getting problems playing Battlefront 2? Sometimes when I use a certain weapon the game crashes and it also crashes on some of the DLC maps. I'm running a modded Xbox as well

Those are trackerless so you need DHT on, if that doesn't work then you're doing something wrong, there's at-least 10 peers on each.

holy fuck that takes me back

Yeah works now, fucking qbittorent shits the bed sometimes.

Bump

Don't know if there are any other dashes to install, or where to find thrm. This one just came with the exploit, is all.

bumping with morrowind mods on xbox version

Why?

why?

I love malice but it's more of a nostalgia game for me as it was the first game I played on my xbox

Man, this torrent must have one foot in the grave. Every game I picked so far has stalled at 2/3 completion. Scarface, Zapper, even when I tried Morrowind it won't finish downloading. All the peers near me don't have 100℅ either. The highest I saw was 82℅.

What's the deal with Maxtor drives? I have one in my PS2 right now. It seems to be fine.

The slim ones die easily the big ones are prone to overheating if put in a cramped unventilated space.

Because it's one of the greatest western RPGs ever made

seagate/maxtor (same shit) rarely support the eeprom lock that xbox's use, meaning they won't remain locked after you finish the hard drive upgrade and reboot the console. They're also not the highest quality drives around, they're just cheap and for pretty good reason.

not saying very much there

Has anyone tried the PS1 emulartor, Pcsxbox? if so, how's the compatability?

grab a sata to ide adapter, don't buy on ebay use dx.com if you want a chance in hell of not being sold malfunctioning crap

I have one similar to this:
dx.com/p/jm20330-2-5-3-5-sata-to-40-pin-ide-adapter-card-green-black-241466
I have a 1tb drive attached.

I actually just bought an Xbox with unleash X for like 80 bucks with two controllers
Battlefront works OK on it for me
Do you actually like wonder showzen cause it's one of my favorite shows of all time

Why is Xlink such a useless shit? Other a bunch of beaners playing Halo 2 its literally empty.

Just realized this list doesn't have Unreal Championship 2. Come on m8.

Anyone can vouch for these cheap chink component cables? Don't trust my soldering skills to make one myself.

That list is terrible to navigate and none of the Tony Hawks being top tier is a travesty.

By the way, we could use a list regarding multiplats. I know GTA 3 had better models, lighting, reflections and less compressed radio and Spider-Man has exclusive content.

I've seen the guy who made the image drop by past Xbox homebrew threads, he's mentioned making updated lists before but wants to wait until there's a thread with lots of people in it before making edits, so that there's a large enough consensus before any changes are made.

I'm here right now, and I don't know how I could forget unreal championship 1 & 2. I'd consider bumping THPS2x, 3, and thug to platinum.

I'd also need another cute anime girl for the bottom corner but she must be from an xbox game, but I probably got that covered

What are community-made patches in this context? 480p? Bugfixes? New content? You should put some info or a link on where to find those as a bottom note.

Modifications, more than likely. I know DoA 3 and beach Voleyball have the Nude patches, for example, and Halo 2 has a bunch of community-made maps

those 480p patches aren't too important any more so I decided against mentioning them (any dashboard worth its salt - like unleashx forces 480p, although 1.6ers should keep an eye out for fixes) - community made patches are rarely ever bugfixes (although they can be) and are more like content updates and texture mods and shit. You can find them by pretty much searching for [game name] patch on any site with xbox content.

Might be your copy user. Mine works fine, even the modded 1.5.7 version.

Fucking Garbage list

Thats the same version I have, I might just reinstall it then.

Just a reaction image mate

So I just read about this supposed wear of modchipped 1.6(b) units on leddit, as the chip fights for control over LFRAME every time it boots, and that got me wondering: what a softmodded 1.6 without a custom BIOS can't do? From what I learned, I wouldn't be able to leave the HDD unlocked or boot with a dead DVD drive. Am I missing anything else? Just got a 2005 Xbox in apparent good shape and I'd like to preserve it.

I see. Tried that with the very first game on the list, Amped 2, and got nothing. Looking for Xbox Huge sites is a pain too because of this clusterfuck of branding, so providing some place to start would be helpful.

Does your cheat menu work at all, or is your broken? Fucking audio is broken for Bespin: Platforms as well.

Isozone is the main one for shit like that. Digiex is good for emulators and shit. Xbox HQ is also quite useful.

You don't really need a hard mod.
Just back up your eeprom somewhere in case of a drive failure

Thanks.

Yeah, but it came hardmodded. Pretty hard to find untouched pre-7th gen consoles around these parts and they're rather expensive for 10+ year old hardware too. I'm more concerned about the DVD drive dying and getting Error whatever than anything else, all signs point to the previous owner using burned discs only (10GB drive, no homebrew in sight except a reference to HDDLoader at F:\, which was empty, on a text file in C:\).

I have one soft modded with a dead DVD drive. As long as it's connected it'll boot just fine

Where was this thread 12 years ago?

Will it work even if the drive is completely dead (fried electronic board) or just the mechanical part and laser

Looks like there's a complete seed hanging around occasionally.

So-so, expect pSX-tier compatibility or less and not necessarily fullspeed everywhere

Bump.

No one? Well, I'll have to (slowly) get around doing it myself.

Grand Theft Auto III: Vastly improved graphics, higher quality radio stations, custom radio station (console exclusive).
Soul Calibur 2: Spawn as a guest character.
Spider-Man (2002): Two exclusive levels featuring Kraven the Hunter.
Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 2x: Improved graphics, custom music, all levels from THPS1, THPS2 and 5 exclusive levels.

Unless you got bad luck, they should works. Just don't go too cheap. I used a $5 one on amazon, and it worked.

So when we playing games over Xlink anons?

I'm afraid Aliexpress is my only chance of avoiding taxes, so it's as chink and cheap as it gets.