Etrian Odyssey/Dungeon Crawler Thread

How goes the Dungeon Crawling lads? What are your teams looking like?

Other urls found in this thread:

contentawaresatan.com/
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Waiting for EOV tbh.

It's pretty fun

Yeah it is, I played it up to 3rd stratum despite knowing no Japanese however I want to play the eventual English version. EO localisations are usually pretty good so I'm hopeful for no fuckups.

what the fuck were they thinking in EO2 making the FOEs give no exp and have a chance of giving you either a really good or a really shit item?

EOV ENG WHEN DAMNIT

Yeah EO2 is a really grindy piece of shit for some reason
Not even hard but anytime you need to build up your party you have to grind for hours
Its the only EO game in which I didn't do the post game.

I'm playing The Quest. It's pretty good.

You just gotta git gud

I heard that the guy who did the music for the original Ys games, very talented bloke, did the music for Etrian Odyssey too. Are there any good tracks?

They're all good tracks.

Stand aside kid

I've been playing pic related. Gotta say, it's a pretty nice game.

I didn't like the other games when I emulated them, but that's comfy and great to have on a psp go because you can play a few floors while you travel and just hibernate it when you're doing whatever you're doing when you get there.

also the music and visuals are comfy

Haven't touched this since I picked up Dungeon Travelers 2. More's the pity. I think I'll end up going super autist when I do, though. I fully intend to do EO1 & EO2 with companion fanfic, though not sure if I wanna do a vanilla run of EO2 & EO3, first, since I've only cleared EO1.

I took the director's words to heart and the bug didn't stop biting until I had an outline of ideas for a team build and characterization that went with the barebones plot of the games.

Eo3 is best game in the series. Prive me wrong.

You don't even have to play 3 to know that it has the best OST and artstyle.
Its a shame that EO4 left the pc88 soundchip, that was one of the best parts of EO.

I never go that autistic, but I do get really proud of my characters when they do something cool, like that time my Crusader just fucking nulled an attack that should have been a one hit kill.

New to the series. I only ever played the EOIV demo before.

Started Mystery Dungeon. The first actual boss (stone giant or something) was retardedly hard, able to one-shot all of my party except my Defender, and he seemed to ignore Provoke and attack the others just to spite me. I ended up winning by doing the last hit while I had one member alive at 10 hp.

I know this series is somewhat tactical in that you have to be careful about positioning, but was I thrown in the deep end of the pool there?

Etrian Mystery Dungeon is a Mystery Dungeon game. It's much different from the main series. That said, you shouldn't be having too much problems with the first boss, what's your party composition like?

I guess it'd help if I gave my party too. Defender/Elementalist/Medic/Gunner.

The gunner did most of the damage until he was one-shotted, through Leg Snipe. The elementalist got one-shotted early on after only a single fireball.

Also, whenever I changed floors in that dungeon my map cleared. Why won't it record where I've been, at least while I'm still there ?
I know I was expected to draw my map in EOIV but this doesn't even let me do that.

Mystery Dungeon game. It's a spinoff game; the gameplay's largely different from the main series. It's like wondering why you can't fall down bottomless pits in Paper Mario.

With a Defender AND a Medic, your team seems really defensive. Same with Gunner and Elementalist, they sorta fit the same roles. I'm surprised you don't have any melee classes, like Landshark or something.

It's a Mystey Dungeon game.

Can someone tell me everything wrong with Untold series?

Poor writing, assloads of DLC, rebalances the game around story main character's OP abilities, so boss HP is incredibly bloated in classic mode.

This looks fantastic! Can you speak with all NPC and if so, are most generic or do they actually tell you useful stuff / give you quests?
Is the combat turn based or time based? From what I could tell the character could move and shield himself in one turn.
How are the controls?
And music?

DLC sharking, piss-poor writing, gameplay poorly balanced in the classic mode, the stone sub-ability system, and how casualized both games turned out to be versus previous entries in the franchise.

Story modo that locks some content out of the not-story modo game in Untold 1, reveals major plot spoilers about the series in the fucking intro cutscene, and retcons parts of the original story to be weaker. For example in the fourth stratum, you have to fight the Forest People and essentially genocide them since they refuse to let you pass further. In Untold, this is retconned to the Forest People having some sick forest madness so they're evil and OK to genocide.

Untold 2 fixed the locking content from the main game, and introduces a lot of really neat improvements to the series that alone would be fantastic, but it decides to fuck up by DLCshit which is obnoxious, and the fact that the game is completely rebalanced in a bad way, it's built around story modo's MC class being built around doing serious damage. So in normal mode you're stuck with bloated health bosses, making every fucking fight last forever. Also mapmaking is more dynamic and it takes control away from you which I personally don't like.

If mods ever come around they could probably fix that stuff.

TDS was really neat and it was managed not to take itself seriously without falling into the parody realm. The tracks were top notch as well. Something to criticize about it is the way it really doesn't tell you what to do. Forging the false contract and getting the true ending was a real pain.

you need to get yourself an actual melee class

That there does it for me. I mean I made the guildleader into a character in my EO1 playthrough but he was just a mage, full of weaknesses and adding his own strengths.
I still need to get myself a 3ds because my ds's top screen is barely holding on. Fucking ds lites

Stuff like this. EOIV & EOU1 weren't so bad because extra content was locked behind QA scans and not a paywall. EOU2 however locked 40% of actual game content (including classes and dungeon areas) behind a paywall. If you were not an early adopter (ie day one buy), you'll have to fork up an extra $31 for all the content.

Japan and America rebelled. The Fafnir Knight sold like shit as a result.

EOV turned out not to be as bad, as the dlc is by and large cosmetic in nature. Atlus appears to have learned their lesson (for now).

Nigga how? I've had my DSLite for ages at this point and it's still a dynamo. Buy a protective case.

I opened it one day and something popped near the R button, the L button immediately stopped working and then even later a piece of plastic literally flew across the room when I opened it, making the top screen unstable and nowadays it goes white unless held at a specific angle. It's harder to do so every day.

I couldn't resist
contentawaresatan.com/

I regret playing eoIII before playing eoII. It's still fun, just more grindy.

This is a crawler thread so I'm not gonna shit on you, but let's just say you might appreciate barb wire cock and ball torture if you played THAT out of your own volition.

As for the rest, I'm playing pic attached. It's absurdly RNG-centered and often balls-out unfair, but I have a rock hard boner for games that force you to plan around ridiculous dice rolls.

Yes its fun.
Havnt seen the new enemies yet tho, you?

I don;t know if I actually just suck at vidya or dungeon crawlers but that shit was hard.

Feed me other crawlers.

Dark Spire is pretty easy combat wise but the puzzles and side quests can be a bit obtuse.
Play Etrian Odyssey and Wizardry if you haven't.

I play in Vita, which is flat out amazing but updates are late. At least they announced that expansion for the system, which is surprising but welcome.
No point looking for new enemies until then though.