Tessellation

Do any games do this effect well or does it always look wonky like pic related?

Other urls found in this thread:

libreboot.org/faq/#amdpsp
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

stalker mods

Don't confuse it with bump mapping or parallax mapping. From what I understand, bump mapping is simply elevation, and parrallax mapping encodes x,y, and z; both are done beforehand.

Tesselation is procedural, meaning that while the parameters have to be set up beforehand, the system can dynamically adjust the level of detail without needing a mipmap or something like bump or parallax mapping.

I've never done graphics programming in my life, so I'm probably wrong on parts of this.

Fuck you're right. That is Parallax Mapping/Occlusion. I'm dumb.

Bumpmaps are simply textures designed to fool your brain into thinking they are 3d. You are right on the rest, though.

is right about tessellation. It's a fairly cheap way of doing dense, highly-detailed geometry on the GPU. Problem is, Nvidia GPUs generally handle it much better than AMD's so Nvidia ruined the technique's reputation by pushing developers to use it fucking everywhere in places traditional normal or parallax mapping would have been fine, ruining AMD performance in particular games (especially Crysis 2, where the DX11 mode tessellates an invisible ocean under the map as a gigantic fuck you to AMD).

What do AMD GPUs do better?

Price

support open standards

I guess i will go with Nvidia then. Besides, they have better drivers and all, or atleast their drivers don't have problems with Windows 7 forcing you to go to Windows 10 unlike Radeon drivers.

There's different kinds.

Bump mapping forms a relief on a surface to fake depth but is only a single channel map telling texels how deep they are in the surface

normal mapping is more advanced than bump mapping, instead of just drawing a relief each texel is told which direction it's facing based on a 3 colour channel texture, this is how you get things like Pillars of Eternity where the environment is able to be shaded as if it's a real 3d environment, although you also need to draw depth as well so that shadows can be cast accurately.

Parallax mapping uses a relief like bump mapping but a parallax shader can tell whether any texel is in front of another one and can obscure the ones behind it.

Tessellation is a blanket term for a whole load of things.

Valve had a tessellation technique showcased for TF2 which would make certain parts of weapons smoother, mainly the curved surfaces by subdividing it but only adding in loops along the cylinder, I can no longer find any references to this but I've seen screenshots of it.

I've seen some open world games tessellate world terrain, although it probably doesn't scale all the way out, it probably becomes a massive skybox after a while. Instead of drawing a grid with the terrain height it's probably more optimal to use the same amount of polygons and detail areas dynamically.

Another technique that's used is just like parallax mapping but where the surface mesh is deformed based on a heightmap, I have no idea why this is used on floors, a parallax map is absolutely sufficient since you can't move the camera to a position where the effect becomes obviously fake like that of a wall.

There have been other uses but I haven't found anything on them proper, Deus Ex HR and MD uses it but it looks to just apply subsurface tessellation to characters, although it looks to be a bit smarter than a generic subsurface modifier in a 3d program since it maintains the shape and detail of characters properly.

About 4 minutes in is a good example of tessellation.

I think AMD is a meme, their products are cheap but their processors are shit and their GPUs never really seemed up to snuff, I haven't owned one since 2007 when I brought a new one to replace my old one and it died just after the warranty had lapsed, and I will probably never buy one again. also AMD fans keep hyping shit that never comes to pass, you can't trust them.

I'm honestly surprised some devs don't use tessellation as an excuse to not make detailed levels.

It's often times the opposite. Many times tessellation is used where it is completely unnecessary and a simple bump map would suffice, such as on things like clothing or jewelry.

With a great tool comes a lot of people that overuse it.

Nvidia releases a driver that forces 10 series memory clocks to 150mhz

Novideo shills still shill

FOR FREE

good job goy

This >>11892493
And, they also do async compute better (which is highly underutilized atm).
Nvidia is purpose built to exploit the "current" (soon to be old) paradigm of graphics APIs (we do async compute, OR, we do shit like fragment/vertex shaders).
ATI is built to be able to do async compute, AND, things like fragment (pixels)/vertex (mesh related) shaders at the same time.
This is why you'll see ATI outperforming nvidia with the up and coming graphics APIs like vulkan/dx12 (due to differences in the card architectures).

Yeah, that's poorly done parallax mapping.
It's completely possible to make it look good however, but they're going for the "brute force" approach which generally results in shit like that.

All parallax uses heightmaps as to determine the height of pixel for the ray (dir vector) of the camera; thus, how much to displace said pixel to create the "parallax" effect (direction of displacement handled by the normal map).

You must be mixing up terms, and it's very necessary, as normal maps are easily defeated via the correct camera angle.

It perturbs normals using a height map for lighting calculations; thus, faking bumps (easily defeated by the wrong camera angle).

again, perturbing normals, but using the RGB/XYZ 3 color channel tex so it can create a more accurate effect compared to bump maps (easily defeated again).

Parallax mapping is interesting, as it creates nearly the same thing as tessellation (better silloutte), but, can also provide lots of subsurface details using the already provided textures (like a detail tex, or normal map).
This is due to it actually displacing the pixel itself (which can retain the details of the detail texture/etc, if u sample correctly using the new displaced texture coordinates), according to the heightmap for the resulting ray from the camera, thus getting the displacement height (adjusting texture coordinates); which uses the normal map to determine the displacement direction of the pixel.
Although, there's more complicated methods, that are less brute force, and can provide extremely detailed silhouettes, no "fudged details" like op's pic, has extremely sharp details (i prefer the raymarching method), and can utilize other textures w/the new displaced texture coordinates (like a detail map) to layer the details of the displaced pixels into something that looks a-fucking-mazing.
Sadly, this is criminally under utilized… and is pretty new considering how fast the graphics programming world moves.

This is true.
Generally refers to creating additional triangles for a mesh, dynamically, which occurs in the graphics pipeline due to various inputs (distance to camera, or a LoD system for terrain, etc).
There's also displacement mapping, which is like the parallax mapping i mentioned above, but instead of displacing pixels, it displaces vertices (points used to form triangles); in addition to requiring the use of tessellation (to create more triangles) to form the additional details.

The problem i have with AMD is the fact that due to Radeon display drivers having problems with anything below Windows 10, unless you can somehow do some magic its gonna be a pain to fix. It also doesn't help that their Audio drivers are known to cause issues. The reason i am bitching is because thats exactly what happened to me and i am currently forced to use Win10 until i find a way to fix the issues. Worst part is that this has been an issue for some people since 2015 and AMD has yet to fix it.
And you are right about the CPUs being shit for quite some time and i can't really care about RyZen so much because now AMD has decided to put in their own botnet.

Yeah yeah, i am super uber great goy, ain't i? AMD can do no wrong.

I know about the whole ASync stuff but my opinion of AMD got very much soured when they decided to add a botnet into the Zen cpus and when the RX gpu i bought because everyone on Holla Forums was shilling for the RX cards, ended up causing so many stupid problems with Windows 7 that it forced me to use Win10.

AI based branch prediction has been done for awhile, and they're just doing it a bit closer to the silicon.

it was literally just one guy from facepunch whose shader plug-in everyone started using tbh

If they released this for free it would easily overtake Unity and UE4 as the indishit engine of choice

That ain't what i am talking about, look up AMD PSP.
Heres a link for basic info: libreboot.org/faq/#amdpsp

AMD drivers being bad is a meme. They recently added great recording software to Crimson, which can do the same as shadowplay but better. It's buggy, but so was shadowplay at launch so the point is moot.
I've never had issues with them. I'm on win7 with an R7 370, things might be different for the RX series though.

Intel has done the same shit for years you dumb cunt.

Not for me, i have had problems with them lately.
No shit you dumb nigger, i never once defended Intel, my point was that AMD was no better.

Why would you use tesselation on a surface like that? What game is that from

I just explained these in as simple a way as possible, I used the word relief because it paints an easy picture in the mind. I'm just a faggot artist so my knowledge isn't particularly technical, just enough that I can use these in my work.

It's nowhere near as powerful as UE4, and UE4 is generic, you can make whatever you want with it, if you wanted to step outside of Bannerlord's core gameplay you will probably have to jump through hoops. UE4 is probably the more technically advanced of the two engines and you can probably do everything shown in that demo and much much more in UE4.

The Bannerlord engine looks like it's going to be absolutely fucking excellent for Mount and Blade games and it's derivatives.