It's not the best game ever, but it's solid. It doesn't deserve the shit it gets...

It's not the best game ever, but it's solid. It doesn't deserve the shit it gets. I encourage you guys to give it a decent shot with an open mind when you have a lot of free time to spare.

Other urls found in this thread:

amazon.co.jp/エレクトロニック・アーツ-ハイドライド-1・2・3/dp/B00005REYV
amusement-center.com/project/egg/cgi/ecatalog-detail.cgi?contcode=7&product_id=591
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Hydlide also has a lot of history behind it and it's basically the game Zelda and Ys were really influenced by. Action RPGs then became way way more popular in late 1984 than the typical JRPG so it may have even influenced Dragon Quest, but as we know Dragon Quest is a plagiarized copy of Infinite Zarus.

I personally don't like too much because I require a bit more polish to games. But some of the art looks cool and the story is interesting enough so I really wish it would have gotten a proper build for PCE or something instead of us getting a fairly sloppy remake a decade later.

The remake on Saturn was an absolute travesty. I don't know why they want't to ride the 'live action model' train but it was never a good idea.

Why would Hydlide get shit? It's breddy gud for what it is.

Pretty much every review large and small that I've seen of it, written or on youtube, has called it trash in one way or another.

How much

Funny, I've been playing Super Hydlide on Genesis lately and have been fairly into it. It's really not so bad once you get the basics figured out.

How are the windows versions? Can you share? I've had trouble tracking them down.

Super Hydlide's soundtrack was fucking great. Most people just hate on the Hydlide games because of that one e-celeb cuck.

That was a remake? I thought that was Hydlide 4.

Yeah a lot of people online call it a bad game. It's a computer game made in 1984 and next to shitty Druaga was the first of its kind. Think of what it was up against: Awful Druaga in the arcade and dumb as shit Dragon Slayer for computer. Hydlide was actually a great game for what it is. People are just clueless.

I don't have a copy and you have to buy the complete game, from japan, for like $5~$60 on yahoo auctions or something. It's what I've always had to do for Japanese PC games as there is no pirate market for them as piracy is a huge crime over there and there's no great interest like anime.

name hm

ProJared

They called it that but it's just a literal rehash of the first game

People unironically listen to that commercialized queer?

Yep.

Thought you were talking about angry video game cuck.

Dude
amazon.co.jp/エレクトロニック・アーツ-ハイドライド-1・2・3/dp/B00005REYV

$115 for the 3 windows games. It's well worth it, Japanese PC game are extremely niche and aren't treated like trash like console games. You can use your US account to get it too since it's amazon and they don't care where you live even if it's private seller.

I also see two prime vendors selling it for $120

Okay, wouldn't mind having a physicla copy anyway. Pretty interested to see how 3 is on PC, read it was quite a decent port. Shame there wasn't ever like a PSP version or something, that I know of.

It's sad how much prettier some of the early amiga/pcengine stuff was than the games it inspired on nominally newer consoles like the NES. Hydlide looks like something that came out 10 years later almost.

True, I kind of prefer the look of 3 even on PC-88. There's something less plain about its aesthetic.

All 3 of my images were from the windows 95/98 version but yeah as far as PCE goes it looked much nicer than the NES yet T&E Soft wanted to support the NES and then Sega machine for some reason, despite them both losing the console war in japan during gen 3. I am totally clueless as to why they just didn't port their games on the PCE or the CD upgrade just once.

Because while in Japan it's recognized as the forefather of Zelda and YS, in America it came out after those games. Thanks to Zelda streamlining so much of what Hydlide did, the game was seen as shit as if it were made that way, as no one really was aware of its original Japanese release date.

E-celeb cancer playing the game and regurgitating those opinions 20 years later for a cheap laugh only made it worse.

It was indeed the Angry Cuck Nerd who tarnished the game's rep. CuckJared shit on it too, but he also defended Hydlide 3 on Genesis.

Today we have so much info on all the old Japanese home computers and the various games and ports that were developed for those systems, but people still repeat shit that popular reviewers have said while raising Zelda on a pedestal, just because the game had a few bad ports.

That is all nice and well, but even if its umdeserved reputation is footed on a misunderstanding of its "historical context" if you can say that about an 80s game-then it all still doesnt matter when it aged like shit.

So why would you touch hydlide today and not zelda, what is the appeal/mechanics you dont get by playimg the sucessors?

This is an unusual style.
Neat tho

It doesn't help when people don't realize that The Unjust's AVGN persona is mostly just an act and he really doesn't hate the vast majority of the games he "reviews" all that much. There's still people that considers Simon's Quest to be a horrible shitty game because of the episodes covering that game when James' actual opinion that it's a good game with a few frustrating parts.
The youtube generation are a bunch of retards.

The guy liked the game so much that he actually went and made a second episode about Simon's Quest in a much more positive light, and thanks to it I learned about the retranslation romhack.
Poe's law is long dead and buried.

The theme is still burned into my brain 30 years later. Fuck. I saw this thread and I immediately heard it.

we can at least agree Virtual Hydlide is crap, right?

It's not like the previous iterations, but it's solid. It doesn't deserve the shit it gets. I encourage you guys to give it a decent shot with an open mind when you have some free time to spare.

He also mentioned that he really liked Friday the 13th game.

I love the music, the animation, the art style and the main character but the combat is so clunky. I really don't know how to completely avoid damage.
Talking about the first one by the way.

And the first person who ever cooked a steak was a pioneer, but it was probably a very shitty steak. The first Hydlide was a historically important game, but it wasn't a well designed one. Its effects on the industry were good, but it in itself wasn't. Now the later ones, except for Virtual Hydlide, were pretty cool.

I'm just a sucker for 2D hack and slashers. If the game were decently updated it would be really fun as the story is cool and so are the mechanics.

Also I found somewhere you can direct download but it's still $20.

amusement-center.com/project/egg/cgi/ecatalog-detail.cgi?contcode=7&product_id=591

Armake21 right?

Yeah. No. The original Hydlide is meh at best. Its not shit, but its easily skippable.

This was a recent goodwill find. I will have to give it a try.

AVGN fanboys who can't form opinions of their own.

James doesn't hate the game, he's said it before, AVGN is just a character he plays.

A lot of people watched AVGN when they were rerarded teenagers and took his opinions as fact.
reminder he shit on fuckin' mario 3 and literally every single indy game even the pretty good one for Genesis.

It may have been solid on PC88, but Zelda and Ys clearly improved on it. Newfags would eat that shit up, though, if it was referred to as a Soulslike.

It's probably because the NES port is terrible.

It's sad how much this is true.

After watching that gameplay video of the newest version I don't think there's any fixing how clunky the game was.

I hadn't really give much thought to Friday the 13th NES but after seeing it on AGDQ this year it looks like a rather fun multiplayer game.

Welcome to the wonderful world of PC 88. See you in the next pixel/dither thread.

Its fun

I remember an article in EGM briefly trashing this game. I just saw some footage of it and it looks decent. I'll try it out tomorrow.

Was Hydlide 3 the first game with… that kind of ending?

It was a lot like Castlevania 2. Had some really good ideas that would practically become industry standards later on, but came with a lot of flaws that made it pointless to play compared to those later games. Sometimes you just need some good clones to come along and make something decent out of a mediocre game.

It was the second ARPG ever made, from 1984. For its time it was a great game.